The Tinker

By PollyPenName

Bakugou needs some new gear. Lucky for him, a new engineer has made her way to UA-- but God, does she push hi... More

Chapter 1 - New Girl
Chapter 2 - Smash
Chapter 3 - Breaking Point
Chapter 4 - Flashbang
Chapter 5 - Overnight
Chapter 6 - Tea
Chapter 7 - Mini Might
Chapter 8 - Cooked
Chapter 9 - First Aid
Chapter 10 - Measurements
Chapter 11 - Expectations
Chapter 12 - High Dive
Chapter 13 - Pancake Batter
Chapter 14 - Joyride
Chapter 15 - Jealousy
Chapter 16 - Gossip
Chapter 17 - Seven Minutes
Chapter 18 - Babybird
Chapter 19 - Patrol
Chapter 20 - The Full Story
Chapter 21 - Practical Arrangement
Chapter 22 - Networking
Chapter 23 - Self Control
Chapter 24 - Measurements II
Chapter 25 - Fairy Godmother
Chapter 26 - The Event Part I
Chapter 27 - The Event Part II
Chapter 28 - Drunk Lips
Chapter 29 - Regrets and Hangovers
Chapter 30 - Sex Talk
Chapter 31 - Ugly Photos
Chapter 32 - Roadtrip
Chapter 33 - Nightmares
Chapter 34 - Sunscreen
Chapter 35 - The Plan
Chapter 36 - Gunshot
Chapter 37 - The Little One
Chapter 38 - Whirlwind
Chapter 39 - She's Busy
Chapter 40 - Confrontation
Chapter 41 - Date with Red
Chapter 42 - Patrol II
Chapter 43 - The Onsen
Chapter 44 - Stickers & Self Care
Chapter 45 - Burning Up Part I
Chapter 46 - Burning Up Part II
Chapter 47 - The Morning After
Chapter 48 - Departure
Chapter 49 - Curiosity
Chapter 50 - The Photo
Chapter 52 - First Aid II
Chapter 53 - Couch Crashing
Chapter 54 - Wet Dreams
Chapter 55 - Touch
Chapter 56 - Boyfriend
Chapter 57 - Voicemail
Chapter 58 - New Years Part I
Chapter 59 - Family Breakfast
Chapter 60 - New Years Part II
Chapter 61 - New Years Part III
Chapter 62 - New Years Part IV
Chapter 63 - New Years Part V
Chapter 64 - Family Dinner Part I
Chapter 65 - Family Dinner Part II
Chapter 66 - Family Dinner Part III
Chapter 67 - Girl Talk / Guy Talk
Chapter 68 - Surprise!
Chapter 69 - Birthday Girl
Chapter 70 - Heaven & Head
Chapter 71 - Minecraft [Extra 1]
Chapter 72 - Formalities
Chapter 73 - Lover's Quarrel
Chapter 74 - Broken Glass
Chapter 75 - Nothingness
Chapter 76 - Outgoing Call
Chapter 77 - Intervention
Chapter 78 - Man to Man
Chapter 79 - Secret Plans
Chapter 80 - Go Time
Chapter 81 - Rescue
Chapter 82 - Reunion
Chapter 83 - Crossroads
Chapter 84 - Secrets
Chapter 85 - Bad Timing
Chapter 86 - About Time
Chapter 87 - Down Payment
Chapter 88 - Be Gentle
Chapter 89 - Suburban Morning
Chapter 90 - Boarding
Chapter 91- Love Potion 13
Chapter 92 - Insatiable
Chapter 93 - Commute
Chapter 94 - Big Bad Wolf
Chapter 95 - Does Anybody?
Chapter 96 - Gratitude
Chapter 97 - Peter
Chapter 98 - Helping Out
Chapter 99 - Washing Up
Chapter 100 - Loose Ends
Chapter 101 - Happy Endings

Chapter 51 - Static

54.4K 2.1K 2K
By PollyPenName

It was 6:00 AM in Japan and Todoroki was woken up by the blaring sound of his ringtone. 

Still dazed from sleep (and rather annoyed at how early it was), he reached for the device on his nightstand. He squinted at the blinding light, trying to let his eyes adjust, and when he saw who the caller was he sat up in surprise.

Why was Y/N calling him?

The two of them had only spoken a few times in passing, and even then it was dry conversation. Something was wrong.

He tapped the green answer icon and held the phone to his ear. "Y/N? What's going on?"

"I don't know if I have a lot of time--" Static feedback cut through her words, making it hard to decipher what she was saying. "Your dad and mom--" Static. "--organization that--" Static. "--quirk marriages--"

Todoroki hunched over and held the phone closer to his ear. "You're cutting out. Where are you?"

"I'm getting on the plane to--" Static. "--can you meet me at the airport?"

"What time does your flight get in?"

"8:00 PM."

"Yeah, I can come get you. What's going on?"

"I can explain--" Static. "--Endeavor--" Static. "--my parents got a--" Static. A few seconds later, the phone line went dead.

Todoroki was pretty sure that he'd never been more confused, but he had a bad feeling in his gut. Was it an emergency? Was she okay? It seemed that she was trying to ask him something about his family, but why?

He crawled out of bed and slipped a shirt on, exiting his room and heading down the hall to the common room. He dialed Y/N's number again, hoping to get her to answer and clarify what she had meant.

"Mornin, Todoroki! How'd you sleep?" Kirishima asked as he patted him on the back.

"I slept fine. Y/N just called me."

Bakugou, who was sitting on the couch, looked up at Todoroki with a glare. "What? Why the hell did she call you?" 

"I'm... not sure. She told me to pick her up at the airport at 8:00 PM. It sounded urgent, but service was bad, so I couldn't tell what she was saying really. Something about my parents."

Midoriya paused his cooking at the oven and turned around to give Todoroki a worried look. "Your parents? Why does Y/N want to know about your parents?"

"Something about an organization I think. She mentioned quirk marriages."

A heavy silence fell over the room. Kirishima sat down on the couch next to Bakugou, leaning on his knees and thinking hard. "That's... weird."

"Yeah," Todoroki said. "I just wish I could've understood her better. She sounded stressed." He lowered the phone from his ear in frustration. "She's not picking up. I think she's on her flight now."

"I'm coming with," Bakugou grunted. "To the airport."

"I'll come too," Midoriya added, turning back to his food on the stove. "Something about this feels worrisome."

Katsuki tried to ignore the worry that was growing in his chest. Later, he found himself pacing back and forth in his room. Anxiety wasn't an emotion that Bakugou usually dealt with, and never at this intensity; Something was wrong and he knew it. He checked his phone again, hoping that she'd texted back.

BAKUGOU: You okay Tinkerbell?

It had been two hours since his text with no response. Can you even text from a plane? Maybe he was overreacting. I should've texted her sooner, he thought. He was basically watching the hours pass, waiting anxiously for the time to roll around for them to go to the airport. Maybe he could just go early.

No, he was getting carried away. He was overreacting. She was fine, she always was. She could take care of herself. 

A knock sounded on his door. "Bakugou, we're leaving now." Todoroki.

He whipped open the door, then regretted how eager he looked and turned away, slightly embarassed.

"You look horrible. You okay?" Shoto deadpanned.

"I'm fucking fine, asshole. Let's get out of here already." He pushed past the boy and stormed to the front door, snatching his jacket from the closet before swinging the entrance open and disappearing through it. 

"Yo, slow down! I wanna come!" Kirishima cried. He vaulted over the couch and followed closely after Bakugou like a puppy. 

"Do you think it's serious?" Midoriya asked Todoroki, concern laced in his voice.

"I'm not sure. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It sounded urgent."

~~~

The four boys sat on one of the benches waiting for Y/N's plane to land.

"By the way, operation get-Bakugou-and-Y/N-together is still underway. Mina and I have a perfect 12 step plan that's gonna rock your socks--"

"Shut it, Shitty Hair. I don't need some bullshit plan," Bakugou grumbled. He was slumped against the arm rest as he fidgeted with his belt. "Y/N and I are fine."

"Oh, so you're exclusive?"

"No, but--"

"Then it seems our services are still required," Kirishima said, winking at his friend. "Trust me, you'll love it. It's very romantic."

Bakugou groaned in frustration and threw his head back. "Do I look like I need romance? No fucking thank you."

Kirishima rolled his eyes. "Of course you need romance. How else are you going to win her over?"

"Alright, smartass. Try me. How am I supposed to romance her?" Bakugou snapped. He sat up in his seat and crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow at the red hero expectantly.

"Get her flowers!" Deku cut in. "Or take her on a date to a fancy restaurant."

"Tell her she's pretty. Make her laugh," Kirishima added.

"Hold her hand."

"Kiss her cheek."

"Tell her you like her smile. Be a gentleman."

"Jesus, no! I'm not doing that shit!" Bakugou yelled. He could feel his heart race at even the idea of it, and his face felt warm. "I don't--that's not--"

Before Bakugou could lecture them further, they heard shouting from the other end of the luggage pickup. They exchanged knowing looks before heading towards the commotion.

Panic and determination started coursing through Katsuki's blood as he shoved his way through the crowd to the source of the chaos. What the hell was going on? 

People seemed to be circling around something, and Bakugou finally pushed his way to get a better view. What he saw was definitely not what he was expecting.

Y/N, in all her angry glory, was standing above a man that was pinned beneath her boot. He was on his stomach groaning at the weight and blood seemed to be spilling from his nose as he tried to escape the hold of pressure. Wind was rippling around Y/N making her hair float wildly around her face. She looked positively menacing. The crowd around them held up their phones for photos and videos.

It seemed like whatever the phone call had been about would have to wait.

"Wanna run that by me again, sir?"  Y/N spat. Her words were dark and threatening.

"You bitch! I'll fucking kill you! Mind your fuckin--"

Y/N released her foot from his back, but instead of pulling away, she wound up and kicked the man straight in his face, making him howl in pain. The crowd gasped at her action and murmured amongst themselves. "Someone call the damn police!" Y/N roared. "I don't wanna touch this fucking shit stain longer than I have to!"

"What's going on?" Deku demanded, making his way into the circle and grabbing Y/N's shoulder. "Are you hurt?"

"Nah. This fucker just thought it would be okay to touch a woman who DOESN'T WANNA BE TOUCHED!" Y/N yelled, lowering herself down to the man's level and screaming the words at his writhing body. She turned around and approached one of the women in the circle. "Are you okay, babe? Did he hurt you at all? Don't worry, this man is going to jail as soon as I can put him there." The crowd started whispering amongst themselves as the tension started fading.

"That was... intense," Todoroki breathed. "I forget how scary she can be."

Bakugou didn't answer; he only stared at Y/N as she took the woman to a bench and sat her down, pulling a water bottle from her backpack and handing it to her. He hadn't noticed before, but her lip was split and her left cheek looked like it was bruising. The man must've put up a fight before she used her quirk on him. He turned just in time to see the man getting carried away by the police.

Y/N left the woman in the hands of the professionals and stepped aside to catch her breath. Her blood was still pumping with adrenaline, but she could now feel the throbbing in her face from where the man had fought back. Stupid asshole. 

"That was quite the damn show, Tinkerbell."

Y/N looked up to see Bakugou, his arms crossed over his chest as he smirked at her. That look almost made her legs jelly.

"I should've charged tickets," Y/N joked. "We got quite the crowd. Glad you could make it." She took a dramatic bow and Bakugou couldn't help but smile.

"He put up a fight?" Bakugou asked, stepping closer to her and reaching his hand towards her face to examine the damage. "Damn, he got up your lip pretty bad. Looks pretty ugly."

Y/N ran her tongue over the gash and shrugged. "I'm still a better kisser than you, ugly lip included, smartass." Bakugou wanted nothing more than to kiss that smart mouth of hers. 

He settled for rolling his eyes at her. 

He'd get time with her later, he was going to make sure of that. Bakugou was tired of waiting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26K 808 46
It's been 10 years since they graduated from UA, and their reunion is just around the corner. Ochako has been working harder than ever making quite t...
458K 9.3K 57
A chaotic love story between an independent girl and an independent boy who decided to spend their lives together. "You eat that shit?" Bakugo asks l...
45.3K 1K 74
You find yourself falling in love with someone unexpected, you only came to UA to become a hero. But now you're torn between two enemies, drama, and...
34.7K 1.1K 34
(Bakugo X Kirishima X Reader) Tight spaces, fruity alcohol, and friendly competition can come together to create an unstoppable force. You knew that...