Deaths Calling

By AFallensDesire

What would you do if your world was turned upside in the blink of an eye? What would you do if the life you k... More

Chapter Number Two
Chapter Number Three
Chapter Number Four
Chapter Number Five [Unedited]
Chapter Number Six [Unedited]
Chapter Number Seven
Chapter Number Eight
Chapter Number Nine
Chapter Number Ten
Chapter Number Eleven
Chapter Number Twelve
Chapter Number Thirteen
Chapter Number Fourteen
Chapter Number Fifteen
Chapter Number Sixteen

Chapter Number One

305 7 7
By AFallensDesire

Well, hello guys! Vindr here, and I'd like to introduce a whole new story MidnightGalxXx and I are writtin! It is called Deaths Calling! It's something unusual for both of us, but please give it a try! I guess I will shut up now and let you all read! Have fun! 

P.S. The name's of the characters are Robin (written by Midnight), and Dante (written by me) just wanted to set that straight :P Oh, and maybe you can see the similiarity between the cover and our profile background picture. ;P

Chapter One

Robin

20th of December 2012 8:55pm

“Let’s go Ro!”

Tearing my eyes off of the calendar I glanced at the opened door to see my twin, Reed, leaning against it. He was the athlete of the family, the star basketball player with a smile that made girls swoon. Me? I was the nerd, according to his girls just because I liked to read and do well in school, not get drunk and grind on some stranger.

“Do you think they were right?” I wondered absently running my finger around the circle I’d drawn around tomorrows date.

“Who?” He asked coming over to my side and peering at the date. He scoffed and slung an arm around my shoulders. “The world ending? Yeah, right. It was meant to end in 2000 and then again in like ’09. It’s not going to happen, sis.”

“But the Mayans predicted some things that came true.” I pointed out.

Reed sighed and looked at me with a fond expression. He was used to this, my nervousness. “You need to stop reading that fantasy stuff, sis. Plus,” he continued with a smiled. “If the world did end, I would protect you.”

Now it was my turn to scoff, “You’d be too busy protecting your girlfriends to worry about me.”

“Survival of the species,” he shrugged with a grin. “But you will always be my number one priority, sis.”

“Aww,” I cooed slipping out from his grasp and stuffing my phone into my pocket. “Don’t let Melissa hear that.”

“Melissa?” he asked. “I thought her name was Krista?”

“You’re hopeless,” I sighed tugging him to the door. “Let’s go, bro.”

                                                                                ********

“Are you sure we should be doing this?” Levy wondered as I stepped out of the car. Her bright blond hair shone in the moonlight as she twiddled it between her fingers.

Glancing around the dark area, I couldn’t help but share her worry. The forest was creepy after dark. It seemed to grow, tower over us more so than it did in day light. The branches groaned as they swayed in the cold breeze and all around us insects and night owls sounded.

“Maybe this isn’t a good idea,” I said looking to my brother who was high fiving Jake.

“Don’t worry,” he called over motioning for me to close the door. I did and approached him with Levy next to me as he clicked the car locked. Jake and his cousin Shane grinned at us.

“This is it?” Levy wondered. “Just us?”

“Yup,” Shane chuckled. “No one else came.”

“Why not?” Reed asked then added in a high voice. “Are they scared the world will end? Oh no! I forgot to do my laundry!”

“Idiot,” Jake shoved him towards the trail and we all fell into line following.

Time passed as we waded through the forest, the boys laughing and messing around while Levy and I stuck close together. Reed and Jake started shoving one another and then either one or both of them tripped and ended up falling down a little slope off the trail and disappearing into the dark.

“Reed!”

“Jake!”

Hurrying up to the top we stared down the route they’d gone and paused. If we followed them, we more than likely would end up lost. Plus, it was a rule not to go off the trail in our town.

“Stay here,” Shane ordered and proceeded to slide down the slope until he too vanished from sight.

“What do we do?” levy squeaked.

“Follow him, I guess,” I murmured back glancing behind me with the uneasy feeling that we were being watched.

“But-?”

“It’s better we all stay together,” I added grasping her hand and pulling her after me as we slipped down to where we’d last seen the boys.

“Reed? Jake? Shane?”

There was no reply, nothing, no sound at all not even a rustle of the leaves. Levy griped my hand tightly as we slowly turned left and headed in that direction. Down here, the forest seemed more sinister, the branches bending to tug on our hair and scrape our skin.

“I don’t like this,” she breathed.

“We’ll be OK.”

We spent over an hour looking and found nothing. Until, eventually, they found us. Somehow we’d ended up in a small clearing where two of trees had fallen to create the small gap and that’s how the boys found us.

“Robin! Levy!” Spinning, we both released shrill screams as they popped up out of nowhere and laughed at us.

“Not funny!” I shrieked at my brother and whacked him over the head.

“Oh relax,” he grunted rubbing his head. “We’re fine. Nothing is going to happen.”

“How would you know?!” I yelled. “We’re off the trail and lost!”

“The only way to have fun!” Shane bellowed with a laugh.

And so they had fun, the tree of them, messing about and playing jokes on each other while Levy and I huddled together watching them. Annoyed but scared to try and go back on our own. Time passed by slowly and before I knew it, Jake was looking at his phone and grinning.

“Almost midnight, boys and girls,” he cheered. “Get ready for the end of the world!”

The uneasy feeling that had stubbornly remained with me since we left the trail accelerated when he spoke and I wound my arms around my waist fighting an urge to hurl. Looking around, I couldn’t understand why I felt so ill and nervous. Nothing was going to happen, right?

Fishing my phone from my pocket, I noticed the time was five to twelve and gulped. Shaking my head, I dialled my mother’s cell and pressed the phone to my ear listening to it ring.

“What are you doing?” Reed wondered coming closer.

“Calling Mom, I don’t feel good,” I responded and he sighed.

“Sis, nothing is going to happen, I promised. It’s all fake,” he assured just as mom answered the phone.

“Robin?” she spoke groggily, after waking up. “What is it?”

“Mom? Is everything OK?”

“OK? Yes. Why are you asking-?” she was cut off by a far off noise. Muttering, “now who could that be?” to herself over the line I waited as she went to check something out.

“What’s up?” Reed asked noting my strange expression. I shrugged in answer and pressed the phone harder to my ear listening intently as I vaguely heard Jake and Shane countdown to midnight.

“Mom?”

“One sec dear,” she answered me. “Someone is at the door.”

The uneasy feeling within me formed into outright nerves and butterflies assaulted my stomach. “Mom? Don’t answer the-!”

A high pitched scream interrupted me and I winced yanking the phone from my ear. Reed, having heard it, stared at the phone as we distinctly hear shuffling sounds through the line and angered shout, sounding much like our father, before the line went dead.

“What the-?” Reed began but didn’t finish. He looked up at me in astonishment and I gawked back. Snatching the phone he dialled the number again but there was nothing. When he tried Dad’s it went through to voicemail.

“Reed,” I whispered. “Do you think-?”

“MIDNIGHT!” Shane roared out. “It is the twenty-first!”

“Where is the apocalypse?!” Jake challenged looking around. “Where is the end of the world?!”

As if on cue, howls echoed all round us. But wolves weren’t native to here and worse, they didn’t sound far away. No, they sounded really close.  Like in the same area as us, close, watching us.

“What?” Levy breathed grabbing onto Jake as I pressed close to my brother, eyes scanning around but it was hard to see with the darkness.

“We need to get out of here,” Reed ordered grabbing my hand and tugging me towards the trees.

“Wait! My phone!” I pulled free and ran back to where he’d dropped it.

As I stood something in the tree line caught my eyes and I glanced over freezing immediately. Two glowing amber eyes stared back at me unwavering. I couldn’t see an outline of a body or anything else just those two frightening eyes. They held me in place as fear kicked in and my heart pounded.

“Ro!” Reed snapped jogging back to seize my arm. I stopped him and silently pointed to where the eyes were. Reed glanced over there impatiently and then stilled. The hand on my arm tightened to the point of bruising as we gawked at the beastly eyes.

“RUN!” we screamed as one rounding and heading for the others who waited for us. They sensed our fear and whirled charging into the trees with us on their trail.

But the beast with the amber eyes was on ours. I could hear its heavy footfalls, feel it gaining on us as all around, the forest came to life with eager snarls and growls.

I snatched Levy’s hand as she tripped and kept her up right. She was sobbing as we ran. I tightened my grip on her hand and made sure she kept up her pace with me.

“Shit!” Jake yelled as something appeared out of the shadows before us. We all skidded to a halt and spun to go left but another one of those things appeared there and the same on the right. We were surrounded.

A low chuckle echoed around us as a man, clad in all black, stepped out from between the mysterious creatures. A jagged ran down his face and curling black hair fell into bottomless black eyes.

“What do you want?!” Reed snapped.

Levy cowered next to me and I turned my head slightly squinting at one of the beast. With the dull moonlight, I could make out the thick fur covering long muscular limbs rising to a chest and up to a snarling mouth with long sharp fangs, pointed ears, one dusted white in contrast to the darkness and those piercing amber eyes.

“Oh no,” I whispered and the animals ears twitched in my direction as did the attention of the mysterious man.

“Ah,” he purred. “We seemed to have a smart one, here.”

I gulped as he stalked forward and moved Levy behind me. A callused hand grasped a strand of my hair and held it to the light. “Deep red,” he murmured and grinned presenting me with too sharp teeth to be human. “I’ll call you Red. Fitting no? Since you know what we are, don’t you?”

“Ro? What is he on about?” Reed asked in confusion.

All those times I’d refused to go to a party, all those times I crashed on my bed with a nice book came flowing back, all the pages I read, all the stories I digested. All the different variations of Supernaturals roared up in my mind and one, just one, matched the image I’d created, of these guys.  

“Werewolves...”

Dante

The streets were filled with terror as my kind finally shed the cloak hiding our true nature from the humans, casting them into chaos. I stuck to the darkness, allowing my nimble limbs to move me soundlessly over the pavement, my eyes glowing in the darkness of the city streets that seemed unnatural.

Laughter echoed over the screams of humans, every twisted creature my world had spawned was now freely crawling the world we had hidden from for so long. The twisted irony the royal houses pulled by choosing that exact date to showcase our presence.

I wasn’t one of them, one of the mindless monsters that destroyed and tortured everything in their path, every scream cutting into my soul, knowing I could not save all of them even if I tried, knowing I would simply be drowned in the flood of creatures.

I heard pleas for help from one of the allies. Giving my best to move as silently as I could I waved my way to the entrance to a reeking, filthy alley. A deep growl that built inside of my throat took plenty of strength to hold back.

What I saw was more than disgusting, a human girl was pinned to the cold pavement, her shirt in tatters, her beautiful skin ripped in places by the claws of a werewolf looming over her with a sick, stomach twisting grin on his face.

I barely contained my anger at the sight of the creature. Our races’ long standing grudge making an even deeper gap between our mentalities. He laughed at her pain, his features still sharply animalistic despite mostly returning to his human form.

I felt my claws scratch against the pavement under my paws, my blood seemed to boil as I jumped out of the darkness with a roar. The creature swirled in place, growling angrily at me for ruining its fun, but he wasn’t fast enough to dodge me.

With a satisfying sound of ripping flesh my claws dug into his skin, knocking him down into the cold ground before my fangs seeped into his throat. A gurgling cry escaped his lips and his limbs began to trash violently for a couple of seconds before he stilled, his heartbeat slowly dying out.

I turned to the shaking girl that screamed, backing away from me. She covered away from me, coming back up against a dumpster behind her. She was covering her chest with her hands, her eyes closed tightly in fear.

I hesitated to leave her alone, but finally I turned around, silently running back to the street I came from. The thought of leaving the shadows that were hiding me crossed my mind only for a second before I discarded the anxiety. Crossing the street I crashed through the window of a shop, landing in the middle of the broken glass I quickly jumped forward between the racks of various types of clothes before grabbing a couple of items with my mouth and dashing out of the store.

I ran the short distance separating me from the alley, and quickly sunk back into the welcoming darkness. The girl hadn’t moved, sobbing quietly where I left her. Her eyes were frozen on the corpse of the werewolf I had killed. The stench of his hadn’t attracted any other nuisances yet, which I was more than grateful for.

She squeaked when she saw me, covering away again. As slowly as my situation allowed me I approached her, dropping the clothes in her lap. She shot me a confused look, before hesitantly taking the clothes.

I turned around, allowing her to put them on as I surveyed our surroundings for any threats that might arise. “Why-why would you help me?” She whispered, drawing my attention to her again. I turned around to face the girl. She was rather pretty for a human girl, chocolate-brown hair that reached her mid-back framed her face, pretty long eyelashes towered over her dazzling blue eyes, and her skin was perfectly tanned.

I didn’t show any sign of hearing her question what so ever as I slowly rose to my feet, my tail shot from side to side as I threaded out of the alley. The girl quickly followed, realising she was probably as safe with me as anywhere else.

“M-my name is Keira.” She mumbled, and I hissed in response. Her chitchat would give us away in a matter of seconds in the chaos that continued to rage around the town, something that would make it harder for me to follow through my decision to protect at least one of those weakly humans. 

Ignoring the pleas of a man that was slowly tortured to death by ravers on the other side of the street I had to go back and lash out at her with my claws to force her to move, her face distorted into a mask of disgust as she observed the twisted forms of monsters.

They were not a pretty sight. The wicked forms of those who were once human, but slowly sunk to the level beneath that of animals. They walked on two legs, constantly bent with their sunken black eyes and paper-like, grey skin. Their hair was a disgusting mess, falling off in places only to be shoulder long at others. Their hands morphed into scythe like bone-blades they used to kill, or torture, their prey. They looked like something that crawled out of a horror movie, the lowest of the low in the world of supernatural. Luckily enough their only strength were their numbers.

As soon as we were far enough from them for me to deem it safe I let her crumble to the ground, leaning her head against the fence of a house abandoned when the slaughter began. “W-what were those?” She asked, her voice shook with fear.

Releasing an annoyed rumbling noise I brushed on her knee as I continued past her, winding my path through the small gate and down the trail leading to the front doors. I stopped in front of the open doors, and twitched my tail from side to side, waiting for her to follow. If we were planning to survive, both of us, then we needed a place to hide.

She hesitated only for a moment before following after me, looking unsure of her own actions. I couldn’t blame her. She was following a leopard that saved her from a werewolf that wanted to do God knows what to her before killing her. I wasn’t exactly trust worthy.

And yet, she followed me when I entered the house. She screamed when we stumbled across a corpse of a human male in the hallway, closing her eyes and making me wait for a couple of minutes before she slowly walked passed it.

Knowing we were probably going to find more of those up ahead I resisted the urge to sigh. I silently corrected myself too, the house was not abandoned, its previous inhabitants were killed. Using my nose, I tried to lead us away from the living room that reeked with the stench of blood only to walk into the kitchen. On the floor, painting the tiles a grisly red laid a woman with her stomach sliced open, her insides were gone, eaten by who knows what. Her eyes stared numbly into emptiness and her face was twisted in pain that she must have felt before she died.

Keira screamed, and crumbled against the wall, shaking. “I-I can’t take this!” She sobbed. “Why is this happening?” I waved my way to her, stopping to nuzzle into her arm encouragingly before I quickly left the kitchen. She followed shakily, still trembling.

Realising there was too much blood for me to tell what places we should stay clear of I jumped up the stairs to the second floor of the house and randomly chose a room. Thankfully, that one didn’t have a dead body in it.

I regarded the room. Obviously it had belonged to a young couple. A double bed was in the middle, with a working desk in one corner and a wardrobe against the wall furthest from me. There was a huge window covering the wall opposing the doors, luckily it was covered by thick curtains.

Keira succumbed on the bed as soon as she entered the room while I struggled to open the wardrobe without shifting back into my human form. Once I finally did it I rummaged through the stuff until I found something to wear.

Finally satisfied, I shifted back, making her scream from where she was lying on the bed. As soon as I had some clothes on I turned around with a sigh, running a hand through my hair. She was turned by her back to me, and I could bet she was blushing wildly.

“Sorry.” I murmured, and she jumped up at the sound. “You can turn around now.” I added, knowing that she was probably scared of me more than she was before. After all, the last time she saw an animal turn into a human was probably not a pleasant experience for her.

“Who-who are you?” She whispered, regarding me with equal amounts of fear and curiosity. I chuckled, stalking forward with grace that matched my animal form. She gulped, and I could see a blush spreading across her cheeks.

It wasn’t a surprise, most of the humans find most of my kind attractive. I slowly climbed onto the bed, crawling my way to her. She backed away only for a couple of inches, until she was reached the edge. Soon enough we were looking into each other’s eyes, my hands were on either side of her face and I could hear her uneven breath. “I never liked Twilight.” She suddenly blurted out of the blue, making me laugh.

I drew back, still chuckling. “Good, that makes two of us. And just so you know my kind is twice as good looking as those stupid vampires.” I purred out teasing, making her blush. “Don’t worry,” I laughed. “I won’t hurt you. It would be stupid after all the trouble I’ve went through to get you here.” I said with a sigh as I fell back onto the bed.

“You mean it?” She asked, sounding half convinced for some strange reason.

“Nah, I’m waiting for you to fall asleep. I’ll eat you then.” I said with a yawn, rolling onto my side and closing my eyes. It is going to be a long night, so I might as well get some sleep. Were the last thoughts that passed through my head before I allowed my consciousness to slip away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113 2 19
I sat down next to her and cried on her. "Don't leave," was all I managed when I noticed she wasn't breathing. I didn't want to believe she just die...
47 0 20
What if the world that you lived in for years suddenly changed? What would you do? How would you feel? This story is about our main character, Moon...
25K 589 11
You think that being an immortal is the best thing ever? It's not. Supernaturals have ruling system just as humans do; however, if the simplest of la...
29 0 3
A thousand years after the fall of the human race, Earth has recovered and is bursting with more wonders than ever before. The seven great continents...