the sable spy

By nyxiekitsune

When Saian spy Cassalyn Diao stumbles upon a treacherous scheme too big for her to handle alone, she has no c... More

CHAPTER ONE,
CHAPTER TWO,
CHAPTER FOUR,
CHAPTER FIVE,
CHAPTER SIX,
CHAPTER SEVEN,
CHAPTER EIGHT,
CHAPTER NINE,
CHAPTER TEN,
CHAPTER ELEVEN,
CHAPTER TWELVE,
CHAPTER THIRTEEN,
CHAPTER FOURTEEN,
CHAPTER FIFTEEN,
CHAPTER SIXTEEN,
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN,
CHAPTER NINETEEN,
CHAPTER TWENTY,
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR,
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX,
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT,
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE,
CHAPTER THIRTY,
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE,
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO,
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE,

CHAPTER THREE,

10.9K 502 112
By nyxiekitsune

THE SABLE SPY | THREE

  "I ASK YOU PEOPLE TO KILL one stupid girl. You come back to me telling me two of my best men are dead and the bitch has escaped."

His men glanced at each other, before nervously staring at their boots. His fists clenched. "Useless, I say. All of you are useless. And now the girl has escaped. She has many, many dangerous friends in this country, damn you. This would not be easy."

"She was wounded badly, sir," one of his braver men said. "She most likely wouldn't survive for long. She might be bleeding out in an alley at this very moment." He wished that were true, but he found it highly unlikely. Cassalyn Diao had always been very hard to kill. He knew people had tried, many, many times.

"Tell me the blade was at least poisoned."

His men's faces paled, and a few blanched. He let out a loud, loud groan. "Not even that? Just a stab? Nothing to ensure death? What happened to all the money I gave you for weaponry?"

Instantly, everyone started avoiding his eyes. He cursed himself for his carelessness. Crooks and mercenaries were never honest. Most likely the money had been spent on their mistresses and alcohol in some seedy tavern. He levered his glare at them, lingering on each of their faces, letting the moment intimidate and sink into each of them. He needed Cassalyn and Cirinique Diao dead. Both of them, preferably at the same time, and better off disguised as some silly attack or robbery. Both of them had many, many enemies out for their blood. It wouldn't be difficult to pin it on someone else.

It seemed as if these useless idiots would not be the ones to accomplish it. Perhaps he needed to call in a few bigger favours. He hadn't wanted to bother, but now he cursed his original laziness. Obviously, a few thugs off the streets of Sial Corner would not be enough to take down the Sable Cubs. He was a fool to have believed that. Even cornered, tired and wounded, Cassalyn Diao had managed to take down two of his men, left the other half in confusion and ran off. God knew what viper nest she was staying in to tend to her damned injuries. She had friends everywhere from the damned government to the shittiest hellhole in the country. She'd be impossible to find right now. It would take time to lure her back out. Perhaps she'll fancy herself the huntress instead of the prey and come back out.

Yes, that would most certainly work. Turning his back to the men, he let a faint smile curl itself on his face.

That would work most certainly well indeed.

"SHE'S WAKING."

"Well, it was about bloody time." That was Cadieux's rough voice. She'd recognise it anywhere. Cadieux had become the closest thing to a father in the past ten years. While she knew very well he didn't much approve of her activities in the past three, she knew he still cared. That was enough for her.

"Thank god." That was Marcus Dalton's voice, pure relief. A voice she hadn't heard for six years. It was slightly deeper than before, but that was expected. They'd all changed.

"Fucking—" Cassalyn's eyes snapped open as she gritted her teeth. "Bloody hell that hurts!"

Laurence Dumont was staring down at her, leaning forward on the bed, looking very much amused. His default state, she liked to think. It was a rare and dangerous day if Laurence Dumont was not smiling and grinning like an idiot. The bed she was lying in was very comfortable, Cass decided, though it didn't help with the agony in her arms. She spared a quick look down, peeking under the blanket, catching a glimpse of her limb wrapped in layers and layers of blood-soaked bandages. "Of course that's the first thing she says. You never change, do you, Cass dearest?"

Cass flashed him what she hoped was a smile before trying to wiggle her way up. Marcus's hand was on her good arm in a moment. "Don't you dare," he warned. "The doctor told us to make sure you didn't move."

She didn't look at him. Couldn't bring herself to. She didn't know if she could lie if he was staring into her eyes. "Buzz off," she muttered, but didn't fight it, slumping back into the bed and releasing a groan of agony. There were quite a few people in the small room. She recognised it. She spent a few days here a year, once she had opted to move out that blasted day six years ago. Her old room had been given to another agent.

She glanced around. "Seylace. Cadieux. Dumont. Dalton." Her lips twisted upwards. "Georgiana Stone, you little miscreant." She regarded her friend, noting her enlarging waistline. "Are you–"

Georgiana blushed, her chocolate-brown cheeks turning tinted with a rosy shade. "I wanted to write to tell you, but I didn't know where you were. And I'm Georgiana Tyler now."

"I was in Gira, as you'd all know now." Her eyes lingered on Cadieux for a moment, who nodded. "And I'm sure you all have many questions. Quite simply put, I don't know the answer to most of them. I uncovered something... big in Gira, that I couldn't handle alone, and the few friends and allies I had there began disappearing and vanishing without a word. So I grabbed a ticket to Arecia and sped here."

"Not Asayama?" Cadieux asked.

"I have good reason to believe that the person behind this," she gestured at her wound, "has many, many contacts in Asayama. I didn't want to put my family in danger. Especially since we're so close to finally going home." That was wistfulness in her voice. "I was ambushed at the port. I was careless, stupid. Didn't expect them to have people here as well."

"Them?" Laurence pressed.

Cass chewed on her lower lip. "Quite simply put, I uncovered a decade-long agreement between the Phikkais and Gana. Bribery, treason, espionage, corruption, you name it, they've got it."

A groan erupted around the room. Gira and Gana were nearby islands, nearly the same size, but had always been competitors. A Giramen would never get along with a Ganamen. They loathed each other with every breath. Gira was governed by a few major families. The Phikkais were one of them. Everyone suspected that there was some collusion in the upper-class of Gira for years, and the Saians had tried to look into it ever since Gira had become a vassal state. No one could find anything. Until, apparently, Cass. And every person in the room knew how powerful and ruthless the Phikkais were.

"I suspected something was up, like everyone else did, so I decided to go and investigate. I told Ciri, and she told me she'd do what she could, but we never had a chance to discuss what we found. And not just that. There's a Saian involved. I couldn't figure out who. Might be an exile like me, I'm not sure. I think that's who's going after me, if not the Phikkais themselves, though I don't think they've realised." Cass kept her voice calm. This was something very important, and very, very dangerous. Gira was a port, an island nation that depended on larger countries' heraldry. Most recently that was Sai. But if a Saian was aiding one of their ruling families collude with their worst enemy, there would be international repercussions. From the perspective of a Saian patriot, letting this news spread would mean Gira turning from Sai. That couldn't happen. Gira was far too useful. Besides, there were many countries who'd love the excuse to rip Sai into pieces. Even though the current dynasty had ousted her family from their power many years ago, Cass would be the first to admit that they've done a good job. Hence her willingness to aid her family in whatever it took to get them back in the Yie dynasty's good graces. If she caught this elusive Saian traitor, it would speed up the process infinitely. Her great-aunt was old. Far too old. She might not last very long. After all the kindness the Duchess of Dai had shown her and Ciri, it was the least she could do to repay her kindness.

Marcus was swearing in the corner. Cadieux sighed. Laurence just looked extremely entertained. "You always manage to get mixed up in the most interesting of things. A most admirable trait, have I ever told you that?"

Everyone ignored him.

"Do you have any suspicion on who's trying to kill you, then?" Cadieux's voice was dangerously patient, like a hunter luring his prey into a trap. It was the voice he used during interrogations. She did not like that he was using it on her.

"As I said, the Saian, most definitely. Very sad to know one of your own countrymen wishes you dead. But I am very hard to kill."

"Suspicions on the identity of this Saian?"

She shook her head. "They took great care concealing his identity. Someone powerful, I think, to be that careful. Or someone with much to lose. It does explain how they had men waiting here for me, the moment I stepped off the boat."

She stole a quick glance at Marcus. He had grown. His hair, shining like woven gold, had grown longer. His blue eyes had turned heavier, darker, as if he held many more secrets than those years before. Someone with burden, something to lose. No longer the boy she once knew, but a man. He would be twenty-four now, she realised. Funny that they were almost engaged once.

She looked away before anyone could notice, her eyes narrowing on Laurence, who gave her a pat on the head. She snorted and rolled her eyes, almost reaching out to slap his hand away before remembering that she was injured.

"Dangerous business, girl," Cadieux mused. "And I suspect you don't want us to tell anyone what you've told us tonight."

"No." She felt a bit of gratitude. The people here, they understood her. They knew her loyalty laid not with Arecia even with the kindness it had shown her. Her loyalty was with her family, with Sai, no matter what they had done to her. If this got out, the Arecian government would use it to rip down Sai. Even though they were allies for now, the support of the Saians was not irreplaceable. If Arecia saw Sai as enough of a threat, they would take the chance. It would take long to rebuild.

Seylace, ever so silent, finally spoke. "None of us could officially help you with it, though you're free to stay, I think." She had never been close to Seylace, who had been in the Arecian army until recent years, but the two had a healthy dose of respect for each other. "We'll do what we can to keep you safe and use what little influence we could spare to aid you in finding this traitor of yours."

"That would be most appreciated, thank you." Her voice remained low, not betraying the anxiety she felt. She wasn't sure what was causing it. She wasn't sure she wanted to know. Her feelings were little traitors, her great-aunt had taught her that when she was young. Suddenly, Cass wished her great-aunt was here with her. Great-aunt Vinelle would know what to do. No. Great-aunt Vinelle would have known what to do. She was much older now than she was before, and her power much less. It was one of the reasons she came here to Arecia instead of leading the viper to her nest. It pained her, but she did not particularly trust great-aunt Vinelle to keep her safe anymore. The Sable was nearing the end of her road. It hurt her excessively. Great-aunt Vinelle had been the one to take them in when their parents died so early on, who taught and trained them to become deadly and lethal and dangerous survivors. What she had now, she all owed to her great-aunt.

"Do you want food?" Georgiana asked, concern creasing her brows. Cass grinned.

"You know me so well, Georgie. I'd love some food." Georgiana beamed and sped downstairs. The woman wasn't a spy, exactly. Her husband was. Georgie was everything from a doorkeeper to a housekeeper to a maid. Without her, the place would have fallen apart long ago.

Laurence watched, grinning. "Watch her cook up a twelve-course banquet. I'm going down to stop her. It's four in the afternoon, for god's sake."

Cass looked surprised. "How long was I out?"

Marcus answered, his voice grave. "You arrived at one yesterday night." He let her do the calculations in her head.

She wrinkled her nose. "Not as long as I thought, I suppose. How long must I stay in bed?"

"Doctor says a few days," Seylace replied. "Enough time for your sister to arrive, I think. She's in Asayama, yes?"

Cass gave a little shrug. "She went on a mission a few weeks back, courtesy of... me, I suppose. She didn't tell me where she was going, though. I'm sure Lady Kuroki knows how to reach her, but it might take a while."

"A covert mission?" Marcus asked, brows furrowing. "I didn't know she went on those."

Cass didn't bother with an answer. He wasn't looking for one anyways. She knew him far too well. She wished she didn't.

Laurence reappeared at the door, holding a tray with a bowl of broth. "Turns out Georgie already cooked this up for you this morning. She just had to heat it up a little." He placed it by her bed. "Have we decided what to do with our Cassalyn?"

Everyone shrugged. Seylace excused himself to visit the chamberpot, though he said it with a lot more tact. Seylace, like many of the other men in the room, was of noble blood through and through. The second or third son of an earl, if she remembered correctly. They had a few of those. They didn't have many other paths anyways.

"This person will not give up. I'm much too dangerous for their plans. They'll be looking for me."

Cadieux looked disturbed. He tugged at his lips with three fingers. "If you weren't so injured, I'd suggest trying to lure him out. But that would have to wait, I think. At least a week. The path would be rather cold by then."

"Not if he reheats it to kill me."

"Why, exactly, are you so looking forward to using yourself as a lure?" Laurence asked, smiling. Cass gave him a glare and turned back to Cadieux, who in situations like these was always the only one thinking. Cadieux turned to Marcus, who looked deep in thought.

"The Vallerings' ball is in a week. Laurence and I can escort her there. But for now we'll keep her inside. Everyone will be at the ball. Whoever's hunting her down will find her. We'll conveniently namedrop every other event she'll be attending, and then send her out with more men. Most of them would be willing to help, though we'd most likely have to keep everything private." She had good friends here. Good friends who owed her their lives, sometimes more than once over, who would put their own on the line to keep her safe. She was in good hands here.

Cadieux snorted. "Plenty of people want to kill her. Just tell them one of them got too close for our liking. They wouldn't bat a bloody eye."

Cass frowned. "I'm flattered you think that many people wish to kill me. Absolutely flattered, really, but I assure you—"

"Girl, I've travelled to tiny, unknown villages where I've heard people curse the name of the Little Sable. Don't be humble. Take credit for your work, damn it." Cass resisted the urge to huff. It must have been a Saian thing. Arrogance was heavily punished and hated in her household. The Duchess had called anyone who took credit for things that would only set targets on their back fools. She didn't do half the things people thought she did. They just pinned it on her because they could. Quite the hassle, really. And they didn't know half the thing she actually did.

Instead, she turned to her broth and gestured for someone to lay it on her lap. Marcus did it. She was still avoiding his eyes. He did the same. It seemed neither of them were particularly fond of eye contact. If Cadieux or Dumont noticed, both chose to be considerate and tactful and not point it out. She felt a wave of gratitude. That was one thing she missed about this damned place. Everyone understood her here. No one overstepped their boundaries, offered help when it wasn't needed, and watched when she was wishing for aid. The only other person she felt this kind of camaraderie with was Ciri, and god knew where her devious little sister was. Maybe throwing yet another circle of highborn lord and ladies into endless scandal and excitement while sneaking into important buildings and walking away with important documents.

Impressive and interesting people, both of them.

She didn't think Marcus ever told any of them why they had fallen apart. Perhaps it was out of embarrassment that he had not figured out sooner, or for her own protection. After all, she was technically purposely sabotaging their missions, one after another. Her loyalty had always lied with Sai and Sai first. They hadn't liked it much at first, but slowly they got used to it. She thought Cadieux knew. Cadieux always knew everything she had planned. It used to infuriate her to no end. Laurence suspected, most likely, because underneath all that rakish attitude and devilish smile was a cunning and shrewd brain. He was much like Ciri in that way. Marcus had been too blinded by love and infatuation and turned his head from her treason until it was too much for even him to ignore.

"My great-aunt would rap you on the knuckles for saying that," she finally settled on saying, just to fill in the silence, which she was beginning not to enjoy.

"The Duchess would rap me on the knuckles for anything. She isn't particularly fond of me, you know."

Cadieux was a spymaster, and a bloody good one. At the height of her great-aunt's own ingenious career, Cadieux had just started to rear his head and make a name for himself. When she was five, she had heard the duchess curse his name very loudly in her office before begrudgingly admitting that she had been outsmarted. Arecia and Sai had never been outright enemies, but relations were always tense. It was why she stayed away.

"I know. I've heard many creative insults attached to your name. Her immediate reaction to me telling her you took me in as your protege was to groan very loudly and request her smelling salts," she admitted.

"Did I mention that I adore the Duchess of Dai?" Everyone ignored Laurence again. That seemed to happen a lot lately. Sometime soon, the boy would say something that wasn't useless and nonsensical and they would listen. Otherwise, he was free to happily continue on his idiotic ramblings. In the ton, they would call it wit and charm. Men would clasp him on the back and admire him for his silver tongue. Women would titter and fawn. Laurence was always, once again, more like Ciri in that aspect. That was why they got along so well. Not soldiers but courtiers. Very much unlike his father.

"I'll send men out to see if anyone recognises the two dead. Your work, I assume?"

Cass clicked her tongue against her teeth in disapproval. "Only two? I am getting rusty and sloppy. I expected more."

The ghost of a smile danced around Marcus's face. "One would expect you had your fair share of adventure in Gira. Why Gira in the first place?"

"Criminals, corruption, the promise of evil men to laugh with and then destroy," she admitted. In other words, boredom. Without the Secret Service's information at her disposal, she had to make do with what she had. She had no intention of staying in Asayama, where her family would no doubt shove her into local society and try to find her an Asayaman husband. Only great-aunt Vinelle understood her. Great-aunt Vinelle who had never married and turned down a great deal of suitors in her youth.

(Did Cass mention that she admired her great-aunt greatly?)

"As always," Laurence grinned, "I am a seer and a genius and guessed correctly." Cass rolled her eyes at him again. It seemed the natural reaction to his jeers and cheers and jokes. If he was offended by the lack of attention thrust upon him, he didn't show. Most probably he was used to it. She could not see Marcus cajoling and laughing with him. Georgiana would chuckle, maybe. Cadieux would sigh and continue on with his day.

"You're telling me you travelled to one of the most dangerous islands in the world, unchaperoned and unaccompanied, because you were bored, where you stumbled upon an international scandal and made a deadly enemy who is most probably waiting to kill you." Marcus sounded exasperated. That she was used to. She always had the habit of sneaking off and trying one of her diabolical plans alone, not wanting to pull anyone else into trouble with her. Marcus always found a way to route her plots. Sometimes he joined her with no questions asked. Other times he loudly declared her an idiot and dragged her back but said nothing to Cadieux. They seemed to both know exactly how the other's brain worked.

Annoying, but it was also occasionally appreciated, especially when they were working on the same side.

Cass twirled a spoon around in her broth before shoving it down her throat. "Do not act surprised, my lord."

"No, I'm bloody exhausted."

"Such language."

"From the girl who swore so fervently the moment she awoke from her coma," Laurence muttered under his breath. Loudly, he said, "It always seems to be interesting wherever you go, does it not, Little Sable?"

"It's part of my charm," she said nonchalantly. Bloody annoying, that's what it is. She liked to be the one seeking trouble, not letting it find her. One way of gaining control over her life, Ciri had told her once. Her sister was so very, very wise. She would never admit it, of course.

"No doubt, my friend, no doubt. A most admirable talent. I pray to the gods at night that I could have half of your ability."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.7K 11.5K 43
Marithyda Skyelorn has learned the hard way not to trust royals, but to defeat the wicked King Harlan she may have no choice but to turn to the ruler...
30.3K 1.6K 122
After a terrible accident that she'd rather forget, Casey Leung abandons her life in Canada and boards a river boat in China. Reaching to touch the r...
ravaged hearts By karlie nyx

Historical Fiction

9.1K 1.2K 37
THREE YEARS OF FRIENDSHIP VANISHED IN SECONDS. SEVEN YEARS LATER, THEIR PATHS CROSS AGAIN. TWO RAVAGED HEARTS, ONE MISSION. Iolanthe Mi is done runni...
2.8K 410 33
A PLOT, A COUNTESS AND AN HEIR Myrina Mai, Countess of Li Han, is in trouble. With her close friend and confidante Princess Irina now married in anot...