Chances (Bridgerton One-Shot)...

By dspectabilis

Inspired by: ● Save Your Tears - The Weeknd ● If I Knew - Bruno Mars ● Can't Let Her Get Away - Michael Jacks... More

Bridgerton One-Shot

Chances

571 7 0
By dspectabilis

Simon Basset was one of the most eligible bachelors in the outskirts of England. There was something about his serious facade and mysterious existence. Aside from sharing a boxing exhibition with his best friend, Will Mondrich, he was always seen in pubs and night clubs. 

He was known to be a rake and will always be a rake.

A high ranking status, which was earned from his father's legacy that he doesn't want to pursue, gave him the unlikeable aura of being cocky and arrogant. He doesn't care about people most of the time especially to those women who are throwing themselves at him for attention.

He was not a fan of talking not until there was this one time where he met a lovely young lady in a party when he came back from his travels to take care of his father's remains. She accidentally crashed into him when she was trying to escape from a man she doesn't even like. 

They apologized to one another but when she found the courage to talk to him so that she cannot be pursued by the man, Simon thought that she was like everybody else. She just had a different approach and tantic to gain his favor.

And it was so effective.

"What's your name, Sir?" She asked him with urgency.

He showed a cocky smirk.

"Do you want me to believe that you do not know my name, Miss?"

She looked back to trace the annoying man's presence and when she saw that he is close to their spot, she laughed to pretend that she is talking to Simon. She didn't absorb Simon's cocky remark.

"A very nice approach, Miss, but if you want an introduction, at least, be civilized."

"Excuse me?" She reacted with wide eyes. "Am I not being civilized?"

Simon roamed his eyes around and whispered something that she found offensive. "Of course, they will try anything."

"Sir, this is not," She emphasized that she is not trying to win his favor. "This is not what you," She sighed. "What is your name?"

She was so close to bursting because of his unfavorable behavior but their conversation got interrupted when her brother yelled from afar.

"Basset!" Anthony identified a familiar face and approached them. "Basset!"

"Bridgerton!" Simon greeted in return but in contrast to what he showed to the lady, he was happy to see his friend.

"Old friend!" Anthony chuckled but eventually, his happy expressions died down. "I've heard about your father. I'm sorry. Oh..." He realized, bragging. "You are not a Basset anymore. You're now carrying his name. Hastings, isn't it?"

"We should not make it a big deal." Simon dismissed the entirety.

The woman chimed in who was watching the men who were obviously happy for a reunion and said, "Simon Basset, of course. The Hastings heir."

Simon rolled his eyes.

"Ah! Right!" Anthony cleared his throat. "This is my old friend from Oxford, Simon Basset." He introduced before pulling the woman closer and directed to Simon, "This is my sister,"

"Sister?" He narrowed his eyes, intrigued that the woman is his friend's sister.

"Daphne Bridgerton." She declared her name with proudness. She faced her brother and muttered, "I'm aware of the company you keep. I'm sure, how you two met was civilized."

Daphne mocked Simon and he was not hiding his annoyance to the woman. She was so confident. And proud.

"I expect to see you around, Basset." Anthony tapped his shoulder.

"Bridgerton." Simon nodded to agree and faced the lady. "Miss Bridgerton."

Anthony brought Daphne away from the cocky man but she was so intrigued at him and at the same time, annoyed and unimpressed. She even looked back at the cocky man like she was saying that he was not the only man who deserves the attention of the night. He gave her a confident smile before they broke the gaze.

Ah. Those wonderful memories ran inside Simon's head.

However, that was three years ago. Simon and Daphne met three years ago.

For the past two years, Simon travelled across the world just like what he dreamed ever since he was a child. He wants to study the cultures of the world, away from his hometown where the nightmares of his childhood is haunting him.

His mother died after giving birth to him and Simon knows the story how his father treated his mother just because she can't bear a child. And when Simon emerged into the world, a wish came true just to continue the family line, his father was so delighted not until he discovered Simon's stuttering.

He was sent away and grew up without a father on his side because he abandoned him. He was seen as a disgrace to the family, an imbecile, and his father told him not to show up again. Simon barely got the support financially but not the recognition of being Simon Basset, the Hastings heir.

Now, after two years of being a ghost in the vast of London, he came back once again. The reason? He doesn't know why. He just woke up one morning and decided to visit the old town.

His return didn't cause any scene and his auntie, Agatha Danbury, managed to keep his return a secret. The lady was the one who raised Simon when his father rejected him. She was a long time friend of his mother and became his mother figure.

Simon showed up to his bestfriend's house and as a welcoming gesture, they are now partying in a famous club in town. The blinding lights are all over the place and the loud, upbeat music is giving energy to every soul in the dark room. Overflowing drinks are being served as the old friends keep on giving a surprise reaction when they got a glimpse of the prodigal son.

Then, a beautiful lady and her friends arrived to hang out in the famous spot too. They are already dancing with the lively groove, the crowded place is not a bother. The huge smile on her face is so familiar to him. It is still giving the same brightness in the room as her expressive eyes are oozing a certain emotion that only a happy person can show.

Daphne Bridgerton.

The most beautiful woman in the ton.

The diamond of the first water.

Simon could tell that she looked so happy. The kind of smile that he never saw from her when they were together. The peak of happiness is showering her presence when he is not with her.

Why did he run away in the past?

The crowded room is becoming smaller and smaller when their eyes met. The world lost its gravity and stopped from spinning on its axis. Suddenly, the only presence that matter are Simon's and Daphne's. 

Not the dancing and loud ton.

Simon and Daphne.

Slowly, her smile is fading away until a precious tear fell from her eyes. The pain and heartbreak she felt two years ago are trying to emerge but she knows better than to drown herself with negative energy once again.

She was done with that.

At that very moment, she could have tell him how her heart breaks two years ago. She could have tell him how she fell apart when he ran away.

But no.

She saved her tears.

She wiped her eyes and walked away as if he doesn't even exist. Like he wasn't there. As if she never loved the man.

She doesn't care.

Maybe, this was the reason to why he came back.

He wants to stay for a second chance.

"We can't see each other anymore." He said, without looking at her eyes.

Daphne's world got rumbled. She doesn't know if she heard it correctly. They should be inside the cafè for an afternoon coffee but here he is, refusing to meet her questioning gazes.

"What," She can't find the words. "What are you saying, Simon? What is this all about?"

"Our ruse comes to an end. My business here was done. I should leave."

"Ruse? What ruse? There was no ruse!"

"You asked me to be your suitor so you will gain the attention of the men who are trying to court you. I accepted the deal for my own benefit, removing those women on my sleeves." He explained, still staring in front even she keeps on budging his frame so he can look at her. "It was successful. You are free now."

"I thought you and I were true..." A tear escaped from her eye. She was hurting and those eyes can express it really well. What they have was true. It was not a fake relationship anymore however, Simon was having a change of heart. "Simon..."

"I'm sorry if you think it that way." He whispered.

"Was it because of our conversation yesterday? Are you afraid of marriage? I told you I want to be married in the future and you dismissed me!"

"This is not about that, Miss Bridgerton!" His reddish eyes landed to her glassy ones. "I am not the one for you."

"You are not the judge of that!"

"Miss Bridgerto-"

"Stop calling me that!" She melted down. "If I knew that you were still faking everything, I shouldn't have opened myself to you. I thought you were different. I was wrong."

Another set of tears crawled on her skin. She fell in love during those times that they were together. It was true and real. It wasn't fake anymore. They both fell in love and Simon knew that. He is falling in love with her ever single day and he couldn't find any way to escape from it.

"I am not the man for you..." He tried to expound the scenario but Daphne was not accepting any of his words. "You will be happy without me. You are better off without me." He sighed and removed his eyes from her once again. "I will leave London."

"But Simon,"

"Goodbye, Miss Bridgerton."

He walked away.

Daphne was left heartbroken that she needs to lock herself inside her wonderful room for good days without anyone knowing the real reason behind it. The Bridgertons left the first daughter in peace despite of feeling her own emotions that are lingering in the family home.

Then came this night, a classic-themed party was held in the Trowbridge Mansion for a thanksgiving event. All the families of the town were invited and no one dared to skip the humble invitation from the humble widow.

The explicit taste was being shown in the overall vibe of the party. The temptations were oozing from within as the ultimate passion and intimate desire were becoming a mortal sin. The theme was a little bit darker than the usual and Daphne was enjoying every second of it.

She was dancing in the middle, accepting every invitation from the men for a social dance. She was hurting and this was a perfect situation to numb the pain. If he doesn't want to fight for their relationship, then, let it be. She wouldn't force herself to someone who doesn't want her.

He was leaving anyway.

Or maybe, she was wrong.

She spinned and spinned to an ambitious group waltz and when Daphne went for a change of dance partner, her eyes darted to a familiar man but the dance was still ongoing so her sight got interrupted. There was another spin and she got the chance to confirm her instincts.

Simon.

Simon Basset.

Suddenly, she got frozen. She can't breathe. She can't find her soul which danced in the air. Her chest was banging completely that she was able to hear her own blood flow. She can't take the heaviness anymore so she broke away from the dance circle and left the hall.

Daphne ran outside where she can find the peace in the beautiful garden. She needed to breathe badly. She felt that something was choking her despite of not having any jewelry around her neck. Her breathings were so heavy as if she joined the marathon.

"Miss Bridgerton..."

That was it. The cue that caused her anxieties to fly away but at the same time, made her heart beat rapidly.

"I thought you'll gonna leave tonight." She whispered without facing his direction.

"I came to say goodbye."

"To who?"

"To you."

Daphne gulped thickly. She was starting to feel the pain again. She faced his presence who was having a soft expression on his face in spite of his authoritative aura.

"There is no need to say goodbye. That wasn't necessary. We were nothing, remember?" She scoffed.

He didn't answer.

"We're nothing. None of that was true." She spoke again with outpouring emotions that she was not trying to hide. "You made it clear. I am just this fool who believed that what we had was true. I'm sorry for letting my guards down. I'm sorry if I fell in love with you. I'm sorry if I let myself to be trapped in this tricky game. I'm sorry if I believed that you are in love with me too."

"I'm sorry..."

Daphne scoffed to herself. She was out of words and Simon was not doing anything to let the conversation going. It was a dead end.

"You're sorry? You were always sorry." She pursued with glassy eyes. "You are sorry then you are not. Are you even sorry for making me believe that you are in love with me? That you made me feel that we are the perfect love match?"

She was now throwing the real questions but she was not receiving any decent answer aside from his soft gazes. He was defeated already. He didn't want to fight anymore.

Daphne's frustrations grew so she just threw her arms in the air as she stomped away from him. She pursued the tracks of the garden until she reached the gates towards the Dark Hall.

"Miss Bridgerton!" He followed her paths, trying to stop her but her urge to be away from him just increased. "Daphne!"

"Stop following me!"

"It is dangerous in here! Stop walking!"

"Stop telling me what to do!"

"Daphne!"  He shouted when they reached the center of the maze. "Daphne!" 

He held her wrist, causing her to stop from moving. They were now facing one another as their chests were banging like crazy. The emotions were too much to handle and the dark night was sprinkling the stars in the sky.

The next thing she knew, he kissed her.

Passionate and deep.

Full of uncertain emotions.

It was a quick one but he sent the message that she thought she understood.

The kiss ended but their irises remained intense. He was testing the waters and he knew that he made a mistake for doing such thing.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have,"

An apology was not necessary.

Daphne reached for another kiss and they were engulfed in their own intimate bubble. The kiss buried deeply and was now different from the first one. It was now hungry and demanding, causing their lips to swell. 

Their hands roamed every inch of skin that is possible to touch despite of the presence of the fabrics. His kisses went down to her neck that made her plead for more. The distance in between them was so acute that no air was trying to fit in the middle.

"Simon..." She cherished his kisses since it was the first time she was kissed like this. The feeling was alien and foreign, a burning fire was lingering in her veins. "Simon..."

His lips found her plump ones for numerous times now as they both satisfied the calling from within. The cold breeze was not a distraction from what they were having however, some things need to stop.

Anthony emerged out of nowhere as he used the back gate to cover his tardiness in the party.

"Basset!" He yelled and pulled his sister away from the man.

Anthony didn't hold back, punching Simon in the face. Poor Simon was not even trying to fight back because he thought, he deserved the Bridgerton punch. Anthony was being merciless and he was not even sorry for it.

"Anthony! Stop!" Daphne pleaded, pulling her brother away from Simon.

The older Bridgerton woke up from a dark dream of protecting his own sister from a rake bestfriend.

"I told you to stay away from her!" He yelled. "I warned you before and I expected that you're going to respect it. I was wrong."

Simon didn't answer from the remark as he nursed his jaw. He took it too far, letting himself to be tricked by their foolish game. It was a ruse then, it was not anymore. It was a complete roller coaster ride and he refused to acknowledge that he had a great time with Daphne Bridgerton.

He was a disappointment. A disgrace.

The words his father planted inside his mind.

Simon stood up.

"I was right from the very start then. You are using my sister." Anthony said. "Of all people, my sister."

"I'm sorry." Simon replied. His head lying low, his voice almost a whisper.

That was the last words he muttered before sending his apologetic gesture and then, he faced the other way to leave.

"That was it." Daphne declared, not believing the truth. "You will choose to run away than to admit the truth? That easy? You will choose to put me in vain and shame, wondering that what we had was true? Everything is only in my head, then."

It was not only in her head. Not only in the back of her mind.

She was not fantasizing to a romantic gesture.

However, some are blinded to admit the truth to themselves.

Simon eyed the ground, his head was more skewed to the right where her presence is can be visualized. He listened to her preaches but chose not to say anything.

His decision was final.

He ran away.

That was the last time Daphne Bridgerton saw Simon Basset.

And now he is back.

Simon Basset is back.

After long months of agony and pain, he is back.

Daphne tried to wash away the memories of the past but she is failing really bad. No matter what facts she fed her mind, everything will narrow down to the truth that they loved each other even it was denied repeatedly.

The roots of emotions are now coming back but maybe, just maybe, it was because it didn't end well. The issue from the past remained open despite of it, being clear that he ran away and left her in the darkness.

She cried to her mother, Violet, about the situation and expressed the pain that builded inside her poor, lonely heart. What she felt that time was real as long as first and true love was concerned. However, Simon chose to throw away the developing romantic bubble and the potential genuine love match.

"Did you dance with the Bridgerton girl? Twice?" 

Will teased Simon while they are having a boxing match. It was clear that the bestfriend is mocking the heartbroken man. It is still clear in his mind the moment he heard about Basset and Bridgerton dancing together in a party years ago which cued their ruse to happen.

Him, to show that he is unavailable and her, to make her even more desirable.

"She doesn't want me near her."

"Then, whose fault is that?" Will asked before they had a series of punches. "You are a fool for not treasuring her. You had it. But you chose to be that fool." He released a good punch, hitting his friend's good jaw.

"What if I want her back?"

"Is that a serious question or,"

Simon stopped from sparring. His irises are dark as well as his breathings. He doesn't know why he came back but when he saw her that night, the reason is becoming clear.

Will understood the gesture.

"Too late. Someone owns her heart now."

It was like, the sky and the earth clashed upon Simon. Suddenly, he thought of everything he did in the past. Especially those moments he did even before he met Daphne.

If only he knew that she would come to his life, he wouldn't have done the foolish choices that he made. He should've prepared himself and be a better man for her.

But it was already late.

They met when he was not the best version of himself. He made a terrible decision that broke her heart despite of knowing that love will find them.

Now, he only hopes that they can leave the past behind. Women left her before but he hopes that Daphne will still believe him.

If only he knew that she would come to his life, he would not have done all the things that he has done.

*****

As long as chances is concerned, a boxing exhibition will be held today. Anthony chaperoned his sister to the match since it is also a decided event for Daphne and Friedrich to meet.

The relationship is in perfect bloom for months now and Friedrich chose to stay for Daphne instead of returning to Prussia. He was just supposed to visit his Auntie Charlotte in town but when he met Daphne, he can't just remove his eyes on her.

Good thing that Daphne is open to entertain possible love match that time despite of trying to heal her heart completely because of the scar that Simon left. It was funny that the damage was severe even though Simon and Daphne never had a real relationship but when it comes to real love, everything will really hurt.

Simon is in the talks with Will and the possible investors but when his eyes landed on Daphne and Friedrich, he got distracted that no words can penetrate his mind. He locked eyes with Daphne but he was the one to break the sight. 

Picturing the only woman he wants to love in someone else's arms is a complete torture for him.

As things just got excited, Simon is coaching Will in the middle of the fight and Daphne just found herself staring at the man. It was a complete mistake especially that a man who is cherishing her is just beside her.

She is having flashbacks in the war zone.

"Are you okay?" Friedrich asked upon noticing her flushed cheeks. "Are you not feeling well?"

She shook her head to dismiss. "I'm fine. The fight is just too,"

"Violent?"

"Another word to define it then, yes." She offered a smile. "I need a little room to breathe. I think I'm parched."

"I'll go with you." He said since the fight is in a brief break.

"No need. I can handle myself. You shall stay to monitor if you're winning or not." She winked, Friedrich's money is on Will's opponent. She cheered for the man for support even she knows very well that Will is a good fighter.

Daphne found the refreshing breeze in the garden nearby where the barging noise from the boxing hall is still can be heard. If only she will choose, she will not attend the exhibition but for Anthony and Friedrich, she showed her support.

"Miss Bridgerton."

A familiar voice deafened her ears, causing her to look back to where the voice is coming from.

"Why are you here? Will needs you." She whispered and eyed the ground. Her heart is beating loudly.

"I came in hopes to have a word with you."

"For what?" She lashed out.

"I apologize." He muttered, his voice is dark but sincere.

She faced him, waiting for more explanations but nothing came.

"That's all?" She asked.

He didn't say anything, causing her to scoff once more.

"Here we go again. You are a rake. You are not a rake. You are here then, you are not. You're sorry then you are no-"

"I'm truly sorry." He interrupted, his glassy eyes remained on her. "For the pain I caused you."

"You should be." She nodded.

Daphne gulped thickly, trying really hard to contain her emotions. It's been years but the same feeling is still emerging.

No one muttered a single word. They shared the silence that no one can decipher. Her lips trembled so she took the opportunity to walk away from him since she cannot breathe freely when he is around.

But, her feet got stucked when she heard her name.

"Daphne..."

The way her name rolled around his tongue is shivering and cracking.

Daphne got a hold of herself despite of the crawling emotions in her veins. She didn't look back. She chose to walk away from him.

"Miss Bridgerton!"

"What do you want, Simon?"

Daphne faced him and threw his hand away from her wrist. She is pleading for him to say everything he wants to say. She is tired of the chase and all she wants is for him to be clear on his words.

"I came back. I am here now, Daphne." He spread his arms to present himself. "I am now a better man."

"Good for you then." Daphne denied the gesture and acted to leave but he stopped her once again.

"Forgive me for everything that I did."

"I played the fool for you, Simon. Yet, you still said goodbye."

"I was wrong." He accepted his defeat. If he has a strong front before, he is so willing now to beg on his knees, crying, just not to let her get away. "I'll change the rules for you, Daphne. Just say it and I'll do."

"You're insane..." She shook her head with disbelief.

"Daphne..."

"Goodbye, Simon."

He let her get away.

Simon was left in the garden in his drowning thoughts. The hurt is coming back to him despite of claiming that he needs her. He just can't let go.

On the other side, Daphne is being haunted by her confusing emotions that are swimming inside her blood pipes. She can't explain why but when it comes to Simon, her guards are just vanishing so quickly as if he didn't inflict too much pain in her.

Her feelings are blending with the breeze and frankly, she will admit, it is distracting. She is like in a dream where she can feel his lips on hers and her soul is being pushed to the cliff.

She just can't take it. It is too much for her to handle.

You left me.

She is holding into it, the grudge is clouding her mind. There is no exaggeration, at least for her, that nothing feels the same and each moment is unsettling ever since the night he left her. To her more optimistic side, she just thought that even though how cliche it might sound, everything happens for a reason. She doesn't have a solid reason to believe that it is what she truly wants.

Everytime whe wakes up, she is dozing, trying to get into her normal life the way she is avoiding to be impulsive and reckless. She is reciting her mantra repeatedly until she believes that her mind is not populated with weird stuff, not thinking about the fact of accepting him to her life once again.

"The problem with you, Daphne," Anthony is trying really hard the tone of his preaches but he is really furious. "when it comes to that man, just a little word with him, you are melting!"

"How bold of you to assume that!"

"Huh. Then tell me, sister." He gestured his hand in between them. "You are not considering to settle things with that man, are you? May I just remind you, Daphne. That man left you without second thinking. You don't matter to him you hear me? He did it before and he can do it over and over again!"

"Why are you even lecturing me about this?!" She contested. "Not just because I shared a word with the man, that also means that I am allowing him to ruin the peace that I built."

"Daphne,"

"No, brother. This is my business." Her eyes are now glassy which is showing her overwhelming emotions. "Whatever this thing that I can't even expound, let them be. I shall not confuse my thoughts regarding this matter. You were right there, Anthony. You were there that night and you witnessed how cold his heart was."

"That is why I'm reminding you of the events from the past!" Anthony paced back and forth as he massaged his jaw with his hand to blow the frustrations away. "Friedrich already asked me for permission. He will gonna propose."

Daphne got shocked at the revelation. She just didn't think that Friedrich is already thinking about the next step of relationship despite of not spending much time with one another.

He is great man. She is sure of that. They have the same vision in life. He is a family man and undoubtedly, a promising life will be written in their stars. That would only happen if they are the genuine love match of the season. She wanted to marry for love and in spite of the wonderful future Friedrich is assuring, Daphne can't just see herself to be married anytime soon.

Worse, someone else is clouding her thoughts.

Suddenly, there are uncertainties and ruined judgment.

"It's okay..." Anthony breathed. "You don't need to give your answer right now."

*****

Simon lost himself to the point that he is always a patron of the clubs. The shiny, blinking lights can help to blur his sight and the alcohol that is flowing in his veins can numb the pain.

It's been years but he can't forgive himself for the bad decisions and life choices he made.

Like a lost boy, he explored the town to shrug away the effects of his night life. His mind remained blank as he chose to dwell on more important things than to torture himself even more. But, the call of the heart cannot be avoided for too long.

His feet dragged him to a quiet place where numerous trees and blossoming flowers are dancing in the air. The moonlight is shining brightly which is showcasing his strong jaw and sculpted features. He is starting to see black because of his dizziness but he is certain that he knows the woman who is wearing a light blue hood from afar.

"Daphne..." He whispered to himself and approached the lady near the fountain.

She is having a break to all of the pressure and stress that life is feeding her and maybe, she is sending her wishes to the stars to help her make a wise decision.

"Daphne..." Simon muttered once again when he is a few feet away from her. He wanted to give her a space to breathe so he maintained a respectable distance. "Daphne."

"Simon." She acknowledged but her gazes remained on the water. She doesn't need to face him just to tell that his sight is drilling to her soul.

"You shouldn't be here. It is late and uh,"

"I know..." She whispered and turned around to see him. "I just need time to breathe. Everything is so confusing and I just need some time for myself."

Simon nodded. 

Her eyes never left his own as the softness of one's features is bathing in the moonlight. The silence alone is a way of talking and expressing an emotion.

"I thought I can't do this, Simon." She confessed. "I made myself believed that someone better will come to my way that you need to step back. I don't know your reasons for leaving, Simon. I just hope that it bears a wonderful fruit."

"Daphne..." His eyes softened even more as the confusion in him is starting to emerge. "There was no valid reason to justify my actions. I made a mistake and I will completely understand if you won't grant me your forgiveness."

"I know your history, Simon. I know what you are going through. About your father, your mother, to all the hardships that you encountered while growing up. The pain that you need to endure. Simon..." She took a step closer. "If only you look at me, you will know, that you don't need to be without flaw in order to be loved. I am here... If only you look at me, you would not run away because I will completely understand. I am here, Simon."

"Daphne..." His voice cracked as his demons are starting to swim around him once again. "You won't understand."

"Then make me understand." She replied, pool of tears are starting to emerge from her eyes.

If there is a person who can bend and break her, it is Simon. It is also him who is capable of giving a cure and fix to a broken, longing heart.

"You dreamed of family. Love. You want love to be the center of your life." He explained. "I cannot give it to you. I cannot give you children. That is your biggest dream and I cannot give it to you."

"So you ran away..." She finished his sentence. "Is that what you think of me? Just because you cannot give me children, you decided to leave me?"

"Because I am not the man for you!" He let go of his frustrations. "I'm not good for you!"

"You are not the judge of that!" She backfired. "This is not what I envisioned to happen this evening." A tear fell. "You left. Then, you came back. And I hate you for inflicting too much emotions in me that I cannot control because it is still you who is holding my heart. It's been a long while but this heart still beats for you and I hate how you are not seeing that. I hate you for not seeing things. I am just right here, Simon. I know about your vow to your father and I hate how you closed all the doors and chose to let yourself suffer just because of your vow when it is so clear that you have the choice to be happy."

This time, Daphne is not holding her tears. She is letting them crawl on her skin one by one. His eyes are now bloodshot too especially when he was reminded of the vow he made where, the Hastings line will die with him because of his anger towards his father.

"Could not and would not are two different things, Simon." She continued. "And I'm still hoping that all the things that you said before were lies. You can choose to love me as much as I love you. That cannot be up to anyone else. Not me. But you. It is always up to you."

"I thought I can save myself from these drowning thoughts." He answered with all emotions. "I gave you space that I thought you need because I know that I'm blocking all the wonderful opportunities you have in this life. I was scared. I was afraid. In fact, I'm still scared of giving in to my own rumbling emotions because I don't wanna hurt you and I wish for you to have all the good things in the world."

"I don't need all those things, Simon. If only you listened to me,"

"I was wrong." He admitted, nodding his head. "I got blinded, not seeing the probabilities of a wonderful future ahead of me. I don't wanna be alone."

"If you stayed, I know, we can do this together." Daphne wiped her fresh tears. "But it is too late now. I can't do this anymore..."

"But Daphne,"

"Simon," She breathed, darted her eyes above to watch the dark sky. It is her way to stop her tears from falling. "I have a new life now. What we had, those are in the past already. We had our turn and I'm afraid, we needed this talk for closure. This is closure, Simon."

"Chances, Daphne." He whispered, not giving up to an opportunity of a lifetime. "There are still chances."

"I'm sorry, Simon." She looked deeply into his eyes. "We had our turn. There are no chances anymore..."

Daphne gulped the lump in her throat as if her words came from her nose. She faced the other way because she doesn't want him to see her agonies. She should be happy because she got the closure she badly needed in order for her mind to think straight once again without the distraction of lingering thoughts involving Simon.

But was it really a closure?

"I burn for you!" Simon recited with utmost conviction. That is what his heart is screaming all this time. "I burn for you, Daphne..."

It pierced her heart however, she chose to shake her head to disagree to his claims. He understood the gesture so he didn't talk anymore. For another time, she walked away despite of hearing the words that she is always wanting to hear.

*****

"What you had is a rare jewel." Auntie Danbury preached to Simon who decided once again to leave the town for good. "You messed it up before and now, you're doing it again."

"She doesn't want it anymore. I'm not gonna force her." He answered, his decision is not yet final but he already declared it to his home. 

"Just because she said it, that also means that she meant it." She shared her sentiments. "Are you giving up that easily? Are you not going to do something better than that? We have a choice. We have chances. After all, Simon, love conquers all. If you truly love the woman, you will fight for her. I taught you better than that."

Simon didn't respond and he got dwelled in his own thinkings. Everything is blurry now but one thing is for sure, he loves her and he is willing to sacrifice everything for her.

However, he is having his second thoughts.

He is having a walk inside his home and he saw Jeffries taking care of the aesthetics of the wonderful abode. Simon's eyes darted to the painting he once donated to Sommerset House but he requested to have it back because it earned another sentimental value.

Aside from a motion that it will be his mother's favorite painting among of his works, the calming and relaxing vibe which is oozing from his artwork are reminding him of the time he spent with Daphne where they shared an intimate conversation about the things that matter the most. It was the time their hands got intertwined for the first time that is why, it gained a special spot in his heart.

All of a sudden, he got this very important realization. He can't just let her get away. He set her free before and he will never do it again.

Simon left his abode and sprinted to the Bridgerton's home only to find out that the family is gathering outside to go to a fancy diner for an agreed dinner with Friedrich.

Tonight is the night where Friedrich will drop the bomb but Simon and Daphne don't need to know that.

"Daphne!" He yelled to get her attention.

"What are you doing here, Basset?" Anthony blocked the way but Simon is desperate to talk to Daphne. "Back off."

"I just need to talk to her." He explained and tried to pass Anthony but his friend stopped him again. "Daphne! Please! Let's talk!"

Daphne doesn't have the plan to talk to him because she knew that there is a huge chance that she just gonna give in again. She sought comfort from her mother and Violet gave the decision to her daughter. 

"Daphne..."

She can't have it. Most of the family members are just patiently waiting for the scene to end especially that Anthony keeps on blocking Simon's way. They have their own opinions about it but it is better to just leave it in the air. After all, it is Daphne's decision whether she wants to talk to the guy or if she wants to leave the home so they can all meet Friedrich.

"We didn't have a good start." Simon settled on declaring his words in front of the Bridgertons. "Daphne, you and I, we never had a good start. We didn't like each other at the beginning."

Daphne gulped thickly upon hearing his words but she chose not to look at his eyes. Her grip just tightened around her mother's arm.

"It was not love at first sight." He pursued. "We made everyone believed that we were in a relationship, putting our own selfish acts into reality. I thought, I was faking everything but in fact, every moment with you was real and magical."

This time, the emotions in her system are rumbling. Her heart is beating wild and fast. She doesn't know where his speech is heading but she is hoping for a positive outcome for it. She also found the strength to meet his waiting, pleading eyes.

"We were just faking but in reality, I was just spending time with my bestfriend." His voice cracked and his eyes sent the most expressive message. "Meeting your bestfriend is a blessing but meeting the one you love in the pool of the most wonderful women is one thing. I figured that I don't want to be just your friend. I want to be the man in your life, Daphne. I want to be that man. Your man."

The whole town suddenly got quiet. It is only Simon and Daphne who are existing. The love between them is so strong but it should be chaperoned with choices and chances. 

Daphne didn't speak any word but she felt her heart jumped at his confession. He remained locking eyes with her and let the connection between them to expound everything he wants to say.

"So if you please, give me a chance. This time, I will make it right." He muttered more words.

Anthony didn't meddle in the situation despite of knowing something that no one else know about. It is about his sister. But Simon was his bestfriend too. His bestfriend. So whatever this thing they need to talk about, they are grown-ups already. They knew what they want.

Daphne doesn't know what to say. She doesn't know how to respond in situations like this one. She just gulped again and shrugged away her thoughts as she prepared to join her siblings instead of muttering a word to Simon.

"I'll be waiting." He whispered, hoping and pleading.

For his agony, Daphne chose not to acknowledge his words so the Bridgertons followed her tracks and prepared to leave. Simon didn't force her for something that she is undecisive for. He just watched the family to be gone from his sight before he left the area too.

He is true to his words. 

He will be waiting.

While on their way to the resto, Daphne is lost for words. Her thinking is dancing in the air as she can't still absorb what just happened. No one is pointing out the obvious either and Violet just pampered her daughter because of the scenario.

All night, Daphne is not the best version of herself. She might have a decision already but she remained scared of  the important decision. No matter what she choose, someone will get hurt, a consequence of love.

The wonderful jazzy music is dancing in the hall together with the clankings of the utensils for tonight's gathered feast. It should be happy and jolly but for Daphne, it is making her chest to constrict. She has this pain inside her heart that she cannot pinpoint the purpose.

Friedrich is being caring and a true gentleman, attending to Daphne's every need. She is showing enthusiasm but then, if there is someone who knows about her sole sufferings, it is Violet Bridgerton. She is worried for her daughter and even though Simon gained a bad reputation because of the events from the past, Daphne's happiness is more important for her.

As the night is being celebrated, the dance floor got bombarded by dancing partners. The social dance became a tradition and Friedrich is more than happy to ask Daphne for a dance.

"You look wonderful, Miss Bridgerton." He showed his appreciation while they are gliding to a smooth instrumental.

"I would say the same to you too." She smiled.

There were engulfed with a deafening silence, the music can saved them from awkwardness. He is nervous for tonight because for every ticking of the clock, he is getting closer and closer to the main event.

And it needs to happen right now.

"What we have is beautiful." He broke the ice. "It is an honor to be with a strong woman like you. We have the same visions for the future, Daphne."

Her heart became wild once again. She has her instincts about the situation right now and she is not fond of any of it. She is not sure if it can be seen on her face but the uneasy feeling is crawling to her veins. 

She made a choice but she is afraid to voice it out.

"Daphne, I would be honored if you and I,"

"Friedrich," She spoke, leaving him in his tracks. They also stopped from dancing because of her sudden change of heart.

For all valid reasons, even the invalid ones, she never planned to hurt him. She knows that he is a great one but she is not just ready to tackle marriage right now. 

Or, a better explanation to that, someone else is holding her heart and that same person is the one that she can see in her dreams.

"I'm sorry." She tapped his shoulders lightly. "I just need some air."

"Do you want me to,"

"No need." She shook her head, her eyes are emotionless.

Daphne walked away from the dance floor, leaving Friedrich in confusion. He is thinking if there is something that he did wrong but knowing Daphne, she might just need an air. It also comes to his mind that maybe, his proposal can wait some other time.

Outside, she found the peace in a silent spot despite of the rumbling emotions inside of her. Her chest is banging rapidly as if it is already out of her ribcage. Daphne removed her necklace, the one Friedrich gifted to her, because she is like being choke by the piece of jewelry.

"Daphne?" Violet's motherly voice boomed. "Is everything alright?"

Daphne calmed herself down as Violet approached her daughter.

"To be honest? I don't know." She confessed. "I just can't understand why all of these are happening. I can't understand how, in spite of the pain, love can still endure. I thought I was okay. It turns out, I am not."

"Dearest," Violet held Daphne's hands. "Certain things are meant to happen whether it will cause any pain or not. At the end of the day, what matters are, love and happiness. Forgiveness, dearest, can save you from drowning thoughts."

"I just wanted to have what you and father have. It was beautiful."

"It was." Violet nodded. "People have different ways of escaping the pain. Sometimes, you just have to look back so you can find the root of mistakes. Daphne, I am certain that you can find the love you truly deserve and wanted."

Daphne closed her eyes to cherish her mother's touch on her cheek. She already made a confusing decision but she just needs the courage to do it. It is a heavy decision because this, will change her life.

"Someone is waiting for me, mother." She whispered when her glassy gazes met her mother's understanding ones.

The soft music from the wonderful hall is still courting the dark, twinkling sky. It, somehow, gave strength to Daphne's heart to take a risk once again.

"Please tell him that I'm sorry." Daphne tightened her grip on Violet's hands. "Tell him I'm truly sorry."

Violet nodded her head as a way of showing her understanding. To whatever it costs, she is so proud of her daughter. She wants Daphne to win in life not by the basis of rank in the society but with true love.

Daphne left the vicinity to follow what her heart is screaming. He didn't say where he will be waiting but she knows vividly where to go.

A small smile escaped from her lips that despite of the events from the past, love truly can conquer all.

The Sommerset House is blinking from afar and she just hopes that she got the place right. If ever he will wait, this must be the place because it is where the sparks was felt through touch.

The area is deafening because it is empty. The lights can present the artworks beautifully but Daphne doesn't have the time to inspect the gift of talent because her eyes are busy from looking at the man she always wanted to see.

And there he is.

In the same spot where they both cherished his donated painting which is no longer there.

To be honest, Simon's faith is being tested because the hope in him, to believe that she will come, is not in its full capacity. No matter how badly he wants it to happen, he will completely understand if she will not show up and he could not blame her for doing that.
However, this night, magical things need to happen.

"Simon..." She whispered, her glassy but expressive eyes are telling everything she needs to say.

His ears got alerted of that soft whisper, her voice is a music to his hearing. He looked at her way and there, the most beautiful duchess is waiting for him.

She showed up.

No one knows how to express the overwhelming feeling inside their hearts. A heartwarming smile just got painted on their lips as the presence alone is screaming the choices they made.

And when she confessed the three magical words as an answer to his same declaration one cold night, the universe got delighted of a romantic and genuine love match.

They are burning with everlasting love.

Indeed, they are the most incomparable couple of the season.

Chances.

And this time, it is sweeter the second time around.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

761K 46.4K 112
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
694K 15.6K 44
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
9.5K 57 8
How to start Conversation with a slut (FREE) hi, xi, hello တွေ လိုးချင်တယ် တွေနဲ့ စနေတုန်းဆိုရင် စိတ်ကြည်နေတဲ့ဖာ ဒါမှမဟုတ် ထန်နေတဲ့ဖာက ပြောချင်ပြန်ပြ...
664K 13.5K 72
Hazel finally has a good life after years of abuse in the hands of her step dad,but for a young girl who is broken and shattered inside and forced in...