The Big Dipper

By VibinginIkea

Ursula Black was only two years old when her mother was killed for resisting Voldemort. She is given to her a... More

Prologue
Daughter of the House of Black
Toujours Pur
Black Sheep
The Governess
The Funeral
Betelgeuse
The Letter
Diagon Alley
Platform Nine and Three-Quarters
The Sorting Hat
The First Week
Halloween
Gryffindor vs. Slytherin
Christmas
A Sneaky Graduation
The Carnival
The Boy Who Lived
Tryouts
Hogsmeade
Quidditch
Christmas Carols
New Year's Eve
Care of Magical Creatures
The Norwegian Ridgeback
The End of Year Exams
America
Teatime
Heir to the House of Black
Flourish & Blotts
Broomsticks
The Writing on the Wall
The Rogue Bludger
The Astronomy Tower
The Duelling Club
The Future Mr. Scamander
Madam Puddifoot's
Valentine's Day
Kittens & Questions
The Chamber of Secrets
Azkaban
The Wedding
The Meeting at the Ministry
The Dementor
The Boggart
The Worst Date
The Animagus
Slytherin vs. Ravenclaw
Wreaths of Silver
Christmas with the Tonks's
The Fight
The Quidditch Final
OWLs
The Not-so-secret Secret
The Internship: Part One
The Internship: Part Two
Madam Tripe's Visit
The Quidditch World Cup
The Ferret
Mad-Eye Moody
Beauxbatons & Durmstrang
The Arrangement
Charlie Weasley
The First Task
The Patronus
The Yule Ball
The Second Task
The Necklace and the Pocket Watch
The Third Task
Cassiopeia Black
Numb
Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place
The Head Girl
Professor Umbridge
Nightmares
Silver Badges
Dumbledore's Army
The Christmas Ball
Acceptance
The Article
The Sneak
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
NEWTs
Graduation
The Reason
The Date
The Dark Mark
The Ridgebit Dragon Sanctuary
Romania
The Christmas Party
The Engagement
Black Manor
The Vanishing Cabinet
The Death Eaters' Return
Bodies
The Coup
Break Ins and Runaways
Players and Pawns
Broken Glass
Escape from Malfoy Manor
The Rehearsal Dinner
The Battle of Hogwarts: Part One
The Battle of Hogwarts: Part Two
The Battle of Hogwarts: Part Three
The Aftermath
The Trial
A Very Important Question
The Perfect Wedding
Alternate Ending 1
Alternate Ending 2
Oliver Wood
Epilogue
Author's Note

The Kidnap at King's Cross

493 18 3
By VibinginIkea

"You're back!" shouted Genevieve, dropping the buckets she was carrying when she saw Ursula and running forward, throwing her arms around Ursula's neck.

"Hello to you too," said Ursula, hugging her back.

"Bloody hell, you look exhausted," said Evan, shaking her hand. Genevieve elbowed him in the stomach.

"That's not a very nice thing to say!" she chastised.

"It's alright," assured Ursula. "My vacation was... not as relaxing as I had hoped."

"My Maman and Papa thought I was mad for getting English newspapers," said Genevieve, linking her arm with Ursula as they walked back to the tents. "But I just had to keep up with the news!"

"You won't find much of it in the paper," said Ursula, before she could stop herself. Genevieve frowned. "It's being censured."

"They say the Minister resigned," said Genevieve. "Is that not true?"

Ursula hesitated.

"No," she said, "no, he was... forced out of office, you could say."

"Oh," said Genevieve. "Well, I must get back, but we have to catch up at dinner!"

Ursula nodded, smiling at her, but the smile fell as soon as she was gone. Life at the sanctuary felt so utterly normal that she wasn't sure she could adjust. The depth of her troubles were made painfully clear that night when she woke up around two in the morning, as she always seemed to nowadays, only this time she was screaming.

"Ursula!" It was Charlie standing over her, looking pale and slightly freaked out. "Are you alright?"

He helped her to sit up. Ursula took a series of deep, calming breaths as she adjusted to her surroundings. She wasn't in Corvus Manor. She wasn't in Fred's flat. She wasn't in Fred's arms. She was in the sanctuary, in her tent.

"I had a nightmare, that's all," said Ursula at last. "Go back to bed."

"I can't, I'm on night watch, and anyway, I'm not leaving until I'm sure you're okay," said Charlie firmly.

"I'm fine," said Ursula, irritated. "Really, Charlie, I'm fine."

"How long has this been going on?" pushed Charlie.

"I've never woken up screaming before, if you must know," said Ursula, crossing her arms. "I don't want to talk about it."

"I'll make you some tea before I go," insisted Charlie.

"That's very kind," said Ursula. She sipped her tea, finding the warmth soothing, and managed, for once, to go back to sleep. In the morning, Charlie didn't press her for more details, thankfully, and she didn't give any. She had gotten so used to sleeping beside Fred that it felt strange to sleep alone again.

Ursula spent the next few days in a state of sleep-deprived adjustment. She had settled back into her routine — Thor was jovial upon her return, and Persephone was so thrilled to see her that she didn't let Ursula leave her pen for two and a half hours — and threw herself wholeheartedly into her work, if only to avoid feelings of guilt or despair. There was an awkward lack of news coming out of England, due to the Dark Lord's control over the Ministry and the Daily Prophet, and though Fred kept her informed of the Order's movements and Hadrian about the Death Eaters, the lack of any real developments on either side made Ursula uneasy.

The only real news she received in the following couple of weeks was from Tonks. It seemed that Remus was not as excited about fatherhood as she hoped, to the point where he had spent three nights away. Upon his return, he admitted trying to join Harry, Ron, and Hermione on what presumably was a quest of sorts, as Ursula knew they wouldn't be returning to Hogwarts. Ursula was positively fuming.

Ursula threw her slightly smoking gloves onto her desk — she had spent the last hour dealing with a Peruvian Vipertooth's throat infection — and called for Sirius, as she had installed a mirror in Black Manor for this very purpose.

"What's up?" asked Sirius, hurrying into view. Responsibility — and being out of his childhood home — suited him. He seemed a lot happier working at Black Manor and, from what she had last heard, had taken up gardening. But that was not why she was calling him, as he could tell from the storm brewing in her eyes.

"I want to talk to Remus," said Ursula. "Please fetch him."

Sirius didn't protest. The mirror went cloudy, but Ursula was willing to wait. Half an hour later, Sirius appeared, with a guilt-ridden Remus at his side.

"Explain yourself," said Ursula coldly, crossing her arms.

"I — I made a grave mistake in marrying Tonks," said Remus, not meeting her eyes. "I did it against my better judgment and have regretted it very much ever since."

"Liar," said Ursula. "You fucking liar."

"See, that's what I —" began Sirius, but Ursula held up her hand to silence him.

"Please do not interrupt," she said. "Remus John Lupin, all of your self pity has to stop. You know full well that Tonks is the best bloody thing to ever happen to you, and if I thought for a second that you weren't enough for her, I would've stopped the wedding myself. If everyone else can accept it, why can't you?"

"We were — I was happy," defended Remus, exclaiming, "But a child... I've made them both outcasts! You of all people should know how most of the Wizarding world treats people like me! You don't understand the responsibility —"

"Don't lecture me about responsibility!" roared Ursula, and suddenly she was on her feet, fury blazing in her eyes, her hands flat on her desk.

The effect of her exclamation was immediate. Remus at least had the grace to look cowed, embarrassed, and Sirius looked unusually, well, serious.

"I love her," admitted Remus in a small voice. "I love them both... so, so much."

"Don't tell me that," spat Ursula. "Show her. And stop being so fucking selfish."

She sat back in her chair as the mirror went dark, until only her own reflection was staring back at her. Her grey eyes were particularly stormy today.

Things didn't get any better for Ursula the next day. She was behind on reading the Daily Prophet, busy as she was, but when she saw the four-day-old article at breakfast, she swore under her breath.

"What is it?" asked Charlie, halfway through a piece of bacon.

"'The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called 'Muggleborns' to better understand how they came to possess magical secrets,'" read Ursula. "'Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when Wizards reproduce. Where no proven Wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggleborn is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force. The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggleborn to present themselves for interview by the newly appointed Muggleborn Registration Commission.'"

"That's horrifying," murmured Charlie, taking the newspaper from her.

"I knew it was coming," said Ursula bitterly. "I just never imagined it would be this bad."

"What can people do?" said Charlie. "If they can't fake their ancestry, what then? What happens to them?"

"I wish I knew," said Ursula.

"They'll have to flee the country," he said, stabbing a sausage with his fork.

"Or they could — yes, that would work — and I could — it would be tricky — yes, I think that will work," said Ursula, suddenly breathless and her eyes alight.

"Care to enlighten the rest of us?" said Charlie dryly. Ursula rolled her eyes at him.

"Now that you mention it, no," she said, taking the newspaper back and folding it up.

"You're no fun," pouted Charlie.

"It's my weekend off," said Ursula. "At about — oh, I don't know — three o'clock on Saturday, tap the radio and say 'Gryffindor.'"

Charlie stared at her.

"Whatever for?" he said.

"Just trust me, alright?" said Ursula. "I've got to get on; I told Felix I'd check up on the Peruvian Vipertooth eggs because their father, Balthazar, has a cold and every sneeze is acidic."

Ursula carried herself differently now that she was a full dragonologist, and not just an intern. She was more confident in her abilities, more self-assured. She had never been indecisive, which was good when one worked with dragons. The dragonologists — and their dragons — were almost like a family in the way they worked together.

It was hard to believe she had been back at the sanctuary for three weeks already, now that it was her weekend off, but she was glad to have a chance to check up on things at home. Ursula went straight to Fred's flat after having breakfast at Corvus Manor so she could explain her idea, to which he easily agreed. At three o'clock, she sat down across from Lee Jordan as he began to speak into his enchanted broadcasting equipment.

"Welcome back to Potterwatch," said Lee. He and the Weasley twins had picked the name after Harry had gone on the run after Bill and Fleur's wedding, presumably with Ron and Hermione. "This is River, bringing you news of the war and updates on our favorite Boy Who Lived. To begin this week's broadcast, please welcome our special guest, Rigel."

"Thank you, River," said Ursula.

"So, Rigel, you have an announcement for our Muggleborn listeners, correct?" said Lee.

"Yes," said Ursula. "In light of the Ministry's new efforts to persecute Muggleborns, a safe house has been established. Black Manor has been given every possible protection to ensure the complete safety of its occupants, who will be protected for the duration of the war. Unfortunately it is not connected to the Floo Network, as the Ministry is no longer trustworthy. Please tell anyone you know who is Muggleborn or otherwise in danger that they are more than welcome at Black Manor."

"Are there any current occupants?" asked Lee.

"A family of five has been in hiding since March," said Ursula. "Not once have they even been at risk for being discovered."

"Thank you, Rigel," said Lee. "I'm sure this will be of great help to our Muggleborn listeners."

Ursula moved into the kitchen as Lee moved to a different segment of the show, hopping up to sit on the counter and tugging Fred towards her by his belt loops.

"I've missed you, you know," he murmured, his lips inches from her ear, as she ran her hands through his hair, making it even messier.

"So I would hope," said Ursula, smirking.

"Are you sure you can't visit tomorrow?" asked Fred. Ursula sighed.

"I'm afraid not," she said. "I have a meeting tonight, which means I'll be caught up in the fallout tomorrow. I've got to visit Black Manor and prepare them in case others arrive, then I have a dress fitting, and then Hadrian's parents are coming for tea so his mother, my aunt, and I can discuss wedding plans."

Fred made a mock gagging noise.

"Disgusting, I know," said Ursula. "Unless something drastic happens, no, I will not be able to visit tomorrow."

Something drastic would happen, though Ursula could not have foreseen it. She awaited the arrival of the Death Eaters apprehensively, as she always did. Hadrian arrived before everyone else, and Ursula reached up to thumb a fresh scratch down the side of his head.

"How did this happen?" she murmured.

"You don't want to know," muttered Hadrian. "Here they come."

"Gentlemen," said Ursula, greeting the newly-arrived pack of Death Eaters. "Please, follow me."

"With pleasure," muttered Dolohov under his breath, so that only Ursula heard him. Her nails dug into her palms, itching to get her wand and curse him, but she simply smiled and led them into the drawing room. As she opened the door, she could feel a hand on her back, sending chills down her spine. She knew very well to whom the hand belonged, and the fact that she was virtually powerless to stop him only served to encourage his actions. Ursula's skin crawled as Dolohov walked past her into the drawing room with the others.

Hadrian frowned at her when she returned to the front door to wait for more Death Eaters.

"Something happened," he said. "What was it?"

"Don't let Dolohov get near me again," said Ursula softly. She didn't realize her hands had been trembling until she clenched them together. She was afraid of him, and with good reason.

"I'll do more than that," growled Hadrian, understanding at once. "I'll tell him to keep his hands off —"

Ursula shushed him as another round of Death Eaters arrived. The table was more and more crowded these days, even though not even close to every Death Eater showed up for every meeting. They stood when Lord Voldemort arrived, and Ursula distinctly saw Hadrian lean over the shorter Dolohov and whisper a threat into his ear.

"She's mine," he said. "Keep your filthy hands off."

"Or what?" sneered Dolohov.

"So much as look in her direction again and I'll kill you," said Hadrian, and in that instant, Ursula truly believed he would. Dolohov could clearly see the truth of the threat in Hadrian's eyes, for he turned away without a reply. Ursula mouthed 'thank you' to Hadrian.

"Tonight's meeting will be brief, for we have but one new plot to discuss," said Voldemort. "Though none among us have reported any sign of Harry Potter or his band of followers at Grimmauld Place as of yet, the watch will continue. The Ministry takeover has been executed with the utmost discretion. The new Muggleborn Registration Commission is functioning well, and are ready to begin screenings this very week."

"My Lord, what will happen to the muggleborns after they are screened?" asked Julian Avery, rather bravely, Ursula thought.

"Some will be stripped of their wands and jobs, and shunned from decent society," said Lord Voldemort, thankfully not taking the question as impertinent. "Others will be sentenced to Azkaban. For those who refuse to comply, such as by not attending their hearing, our Snatchers will be sent after them."

The table was quiet after hearing this news. Ursula thought of her uncle, Ted, who was muggleborn, and decided she would offer him a place to stay at Black Manor.

"My new plot, therefore, is to screen Hogwarts students upon their arrival," said Voldemort. "Students must provide proof of blood purity before they are allowed to attend. As attendance is now mandatory, this new screening will be conducted to ensure our children are not poisoned by bad blood. An announcement will go out in the Daily Prophet that students will be tested at school —" A cruel smile played upon his lips. "— but we will search the train."

Oh no. Oh no. This was a new level of evil. Ursula couldn't bear to think what would happen to the innocent muggleborns. Their parents didn't read the Daily Prophet, and for the new first years, they would have no knowledge that it even existed. She had to do something —

"In order to garner the least suspicion possible, it will be up to our youngest Death Eaters to search the train," said Lord Voldemort. "They are, after all, more likely to be recognized and... trusted. Shafiq, I am placing you in charge of this assignment. Choose who shall accompany you."

"Thank you, my Lord," said William Shafiq. "I choose Edward. Warrington, Burke, Selwyn, Pucey, and Greengrass, as well. They all went to Hogwarts in recent years."

"Very well," said Lord Voldemort. "You are to meet the train after it takes off, to ensure no one escapes. I want a few Death Eaters on the platform, just in case."

"I volunteer," said Hadrian.

"I as well," said Edwin Yaxley.

"And me," said Benjamin Travers.

Lord Voldemort nodded once in approval.

"Then there is no more to be said," he said, before sweeping out, the hunched form of Peter Pettigrew following him.

Ursula's heart pounded and her mind raced. There had to be a way she could fix this, a way she could warn people that if they sent their children to Hogwarts they might never see them again.

"A list," she whispered to Hadrian. "Get me a list of all the students at Hogwarts."

"I'll see what I can do," said Hadrian.

Ursula paced for hours that night, unable to sleep or relax until she had a functional plan for how to fix this, how to fix all of this, for how to save the innocent muggleborn students from a terrible fate. She ended up with a list of ideas as long as her arm, but only one was even viable. She visited Black Manor the next morning, and found a terrified Muggle man with two teenage sons, both of them muggleborn wizards by the names of Colin and Dennis Creevey. She invited them in, gave them tea, and introduced them to the other occupants in the house, including Sirius. She warned the Montgomerys to stay alert for more arrivals, and told Robert and Susan of her plan for the first of September. They both found it incredibly dangerous, but agreed without a second thought.

She was unusually eager during her wedding dress fitting. It was a beautiful dress, but she had no intentions of wearing it. Much of Ursula's eagerness came from her need for haste. She owled Blossom for as much Polyjuice Potion as she could muster just as Hadrian and his mother arrived for tea.

"Here," murmured Hadrian, pressing a folded square of parchment into her hands. Ursula thanked him with a nod, then moved into the drawing room — the very same where so many Death Eater meetings had occurred — for tea.

Once her faux fiancée obligations were over, Ursula sent a second owl to Fred, with information for the Order. If she was to pull this off, she would need all the help she could get. She returned to the sanctuary Sunday night rather than Monday morning, for she needed their help as well. She only had a week to pull off a heist of grand proportions, and save several dozen students from the clutches of the Death Eaters.

"You want to do what?" hissed Felix, the first she told. "It's madness!"

"We would be mad not to do it!" replied Ursula. "It's the only way!"

"You do know that if the Dark Lord gets wind of this, he'll kill us all, right?" said Felix severely. "If we fail, this will expose our whole plot."

"But if we succeed, we will save dozens of lives," said Ursula. "I hate to blackmail you into this, but I will if I have to."

"No, you don't have to," said Felix, sighing deeply. "But do we really have to tell the others that I'm a Death Eater?"

"We do if we want their help," said Ursula.

"But what if they don't agree to stay silent?"

"It's a risk we'll have to take," said Ursula, "I'll do the talking."

She dragged him back out to the little fire pit next to their tents, where all of their fellow dragonologists from Sector Seven were gathered.

"What's this all about?" asked Lukas suspiciously.

"Yes, why have we been summoned?" asked Marius, his eyes flicking back and forth between Ursula and Felix.

Ursula hesitated, then said, "Felix and I need your help. This isn't about dragons. In fact, it has nothing to do with the sanctuary."

"Then what is it about?" asked Flora.

"Defying He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," said Ursula. The effect was immediate as there was a collective intake of air.

"You don't mean —" began Genevieve in a hushed voice.

"Don't say his name," said Felix. "It's got a Taboo curse on it."

"And what madness has made you think you should get involved?" said Marius. His voice was so caring that it made Ursula flinch, reminding her of her father. "You're barely more than children, especially you, Ursula."

"I'm twenty-eight," said Felix, almost affronted.

Ursula plowed on. "Felix is a Death Eater. I'm engaged to another Death Eater. Nearly all of our friends are involved. We've been working to defy Vol — You-Know-Who for the last year."

All eyes immediately went to Felix, who shuffled his feet. Some, like Lukas and Evan, looked angry. Others, like Genevieve and Wesley, looked confused. Marius just looked concerned.

"It's true," he said, rolling up his sleeve and unwrapping the clean bandages around his forearm. Several of the dragonologists flinched when they saw the Dark Mark tattoo. "Most of the new recruits are younger than me. We haven't — we were forced into this. It's easy to say that it would be easy to escape, but it's not. Defying the Dark Lord is a death sentence."

"I thought you said you were already defying him," pointed out Alexandra, frowning.

"Secretly," clarified Ursula. "I had the idea to establish a network among Death Eaters who never wanted to join, but had no way out, and are now terrified of what they might be made to do." Seeing the judgement on their faces, she added, "Felix is at great personal risk telling you all this."

"What do you mean when you say you didn't join by choice?" said Hamish, folding his arms and directing the question at Felix.

"My uncle was a Death Eater," said Felix bracingly. "He died in the first war. My father suggested I join as... appeasement, you could say. If I joined, the rest of my family would be safe. It's why we all joined. I know many of you think I'm wrong for joining, but my entire family would have been targeted, hunted down, and killed."

"He's not exaggerating," added Ursula. "That's how my mother was killed."

There was another gasp, and several of the dragonologists looked in horror at Ursula. She hadn't talked much about her past.

"All of this brings us to why we are telling you all this," she said. "You-Know-Who is planning to attack the Hogwarts Express, which is the train that brings students to Hogwarts, so that he can capture all of the muggleborns on it. It is all part of his plan to 'purify' wizardkind. We need to get all of the muggleborns off the train and to my safehouse."

"You have a safehouse?" said Evan dubiously.

"Of course!" said Charlie, the truth dawning on him. "You talked about it on Potterwatch."

"My great aunt left me her house when she died. It's called Black Manor," explained Ursula to the others. "I've put it under the Fidelius Charm. Currently there are nine people, most of them muggleborns, staying there."

"And what do you need our help for?" asked Wesley.

"We need help moving the students," said Ursula. "We need lookouts to make sure that the Death Eaters don't get there before us. We need people at Black Manor to receive the students. Even though the force preparing to raid the train are all allies, I can't tell them this plan because it would put them in jeopardy. When they fail to capture the muggleborns, they will be —" She gulped. "— they will be punished. But if You-Know-Who finds out that they failed on purpose, we will all be killed."

"If we agree, what happens next?" asked Marius slowly, speaking for the whole group.

"I'll explain the details of the plan and assign roles," said Ursula. "None of you are under any obligation to do this. All we ask is that you don't expose us."

"I'll help," said a new voice. Ursula turned to see Rue walk over. "I was eavesdropping," she said shamelessly. "I know what you're up to and I want to help."

Ursula nodded in thanks.

"I'll help too," said Charlie suddenly.

"And me," said Genevieve firmly, standing up. Evan, Lukas, Flora, and Alexandra were quick to follow.

"I support what you're doing," said Hamish slowly, "but I don't see how I can help. I'll stay here, watch the dragons, and cover for you."

"So will I," said Amrit. Dragomir echoed the same sentiment. At last, it was down to Marius. He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"I don't think I can know what you kids are planning and not offer my assistance," he said. "I'll do whatever you need."

"Thank you," said Ursula.

"So, when are we doing this?" asked Lukas.

"The first of September," said Rue, before Ursula could. "It's when the train leaves for Hogwarts."

"That gives us one week to prepare. Along with the ten of us, I have five friends who will be helping as well," said Ursula. "Some of us will take Polyjuice to look like the siblings or parents of students who are supposed to be there."

"Just tell us what you want us to do, and we'll do it," said Marius. Ursula nodded, taking a deep breath. She was in charge here. She could do this.

"Alright, so Marius, you, Evan, and Lukas will wait at Black Manor," said Ursula, gaining confidence as she delegated tasks. "Genevieve, Alexandra, Felix, and my fiancé, Hadrian, will act as lookouts. Everyone but Hadrian will take Polyjuice."

"So we won't actually find the kids?" asked Genevieve, sounding slightly crestfallen.

"No," said Ursula, not backing down. "But you will be helping a great deal. My friend Blossom will be supplying the Polyjuice Potion, and will stay behind at Black Manor. Flora, you will take Polyjuice to look like her. Her sister still attends Hogwarts. Rue, you will become another Weasley. You will pretend to be Ginny, and Fred and George will back you up. Charlie, you, Lilian, and I are all there under legitimate pretenses: to see our siblings, or in my case, my cousin, off to Hogwarts, so we will not be taking Polyjuice. Did I forget anyone?"

After no one answered, she went on.

"Once on the platform, Flora, Charlie, Fred, and George will work their way through the crowd. I have a list of all the muggleborn students at Hogwarts. If you can, talk to their parents, but be very careful not to talk to anyone involved with the Death Eaters. I have a second list with pictures of people to avoid at all costs. Meanwhile, Lilian, Rue, and I will search the train. When you find a student in danger, Apparate them immediately to Black Manor. If you can get their trunks, great, but don't sacrifice your safety or theirs to do so."

"What if they don't believe us when we say we're trying to help them?" asked Flora.

"Tell them how the Death Eaters are coming for them. Really make them sound threatening," said Ursula. "I'm not above scaring them for the right reasons. Oh, and mention my name if you need to. Anyone third year or up will remember me. You and Rue should focus on the older students, and Lilian and I will focus on the younger ones."

Ursula continued to explain the plan, answering questions when needed, until the dragonologists were satisfied and she dismissed them, all looking unusually serious. Ursula clapped a hand on Felix's shoulder. He had sat down, head in hands.

"That wasn't so bad," she said.

"Did you see the look in their eyes?" whispered Felix. "They'll never look at me the same way again."

"We're doing the right thing," said Ursula firmly.

She knew this was right, but she was concerned about what it would cost. Even though she was protecting both the young Death Eaters and the muggleborn students, she couldn't help but feel like whatever punishment Voldemort handed down after the inevitable failure of the Death Eaters would be her fault. But it came down to weighing the impact of doing nothing against her plan. She knew that, if she could pull it off, no one would die. That was the only thought she had for comfort.

The morning of September first dawned brightly at the sanctuary, though the dragonologists left without ever seeing it. The sun had only just risen in England when Ursula took the large group to Black Manor, where Fred, George, Blossom, Lilian, and Hadrian were already waiting, along with the manor's inhabitants.

Ursula made a quick round of introductions, careful of the way her fellow dragonologists sized up Hadrian with understandable suspicion in their eyes. They sat around in the library, talking in quiet, anxious groups.

"The Daily Prophet's here," said Lilian, bringing the newspaper into the room just as the morning sun peeked through the heavy curtains. "You're not going to like it."

"I never seem to, lately," said Ursula, taking the newspaper and unfurling it.

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"He's barely qualified to be a teacher, let alone the headmaster," muttered Blossom.

"'Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. I welcome the opportunity to uphold our finest Wizarding traditions and values —' well, this is a load of rubbish," said Ursula, reading aloud. "Amycus and Alecto are Death Eaters, after all."

"McGonagall won't stand for this," said Fred firmly, putting a hand on Ursula's shoulder. Genevieve winked at her.

"She won't have a choice, I'm afraid," said Ursula. "If she speaks out, she'll get fired, and then she'll have no way to watch over the students."

"Speaking of which," said Lukas. "When are we leaving?"

He and Hadrian, having overlapped for several years at Durmstrang, had had the most amicable greeting of the group.

"In an hour or so," said Ursula. "If we're there too early, it's suspicious."

She went over their roles again, stationing the dragonologists and the Creevey brothers — who would surely be recognized by their peers — at the end of the driveway to greet the muggleborns as they arrived. She made sure Dimsey, Helgie, and Cosmey were well-equipped with tea and iced buns, and that all of the rooms had been cleaned and cleared of any Dark artefacts. The Montgomerys waited inside to comfort the sure-to-be frightened students. Finally, Felix, Rue, Flora, Genevieve, and Alexandra all drank a few hours' worth of Polyjuice Potion and the group split off, heading to King's Cross in small groups so as not to garner suspicion, with each of the foreigners assigned a guide. Ginny had been told that Rue would be acting as her double, so she would hide out in her compartment so as not to be seen and risk causing too much confusion.

"Good luck, everyone," said Ursula, her heart pounding. She took Hadrian's arm and they left together, ready to play the couple.

"Ursula!" said Draco, hugging her the moment he laid eyes on her. She could feel him trembling with anxiety. "I didn't know you would be here."

"I wanted to surprise you," said Ursula. He was taller than she was now, but he still seemed like a little boy to her. "I'll help you get settled on the train, shall I?"

Thankfully Draco didn't protest, and Ursula walked onto the train with him.

"When are you marrying Rowle?" asked Draco bluntly.

"Not until May," assured Ursula, though it was a complete lie. Draco nodded glumly. "Do you not like him?"

"It's not that," said Draco, sighing. In a small voice, he said, "It just feels like when you marry him, you'll leave me."

"Oh, Draco," murmured Ursula. "I'll never leave you. I can promise that."

She stood on tiptoes to kiss the top of his head — he bent forward obligingly — like she did when he was younger, then straightened his jacket.

"Right," said Ursula. "Take care of yourself, and don't forget to write to me, alright?"

Draco nodded, and she left. But rather than exit the train, she moved on to the next compartment over and opened the door.

"Uh, Ursula?" said her cousin Beatrice in confusion. The other fourth years stared at her, equally confused.

"Are any of you muggleborns?" asked Ursula kindly. One of the girls and one of the boys nodded. "I need you to come with me right now, alright? You-Know-Who is planning to attack the train to stop you from reaching Hogwarts."

The girl let out a terrified squeak.

"What's your name, darling?" asked Ursula.

"Caroline," managed the girl.

"And I'm Timothy," piped up the boy.

"Alright, well, Caroline, Timothy, please come with me. I'm going to take you somewhere that you'll be safe," said Ursula, offering her hands to them.

"So we won't get to Hogwarts?" clarified Timothy. Ursula shook her head.

"You won't get to Hogwarts even if you don't come with me," she said. "I can keep you safe, I promise."

"You can trust her," interjected Beatrice, and Ursula nodded to her in thanks.

"What about our trunks?" asked Carolina. She was clutching a cage holding a tabby cat, looking frightened.

"Can you show me where they are?" said Ursula. They both pointed to the rack beside her. "How about I send these on ahead to where we're going, and then you two come with me, alright? Your cat can come too, Caroline."

Hesitantly, Caroline and Timothy took her outstretched hands after Ursula vanished their trunks and sent them to Black Manor, the former holding her cat's cage even tighter.

"Beatrice, I need you to round up any muggleborn you know," said Ursula, her voice sharpening. "Bring them back to this compartment and I will meet them here."

Beatrice nodded and went hurrying out, followed by two of her friends for help. Ursula turned on the spot, holding tight to Caroline and Timothy's hands. After what felt like being sucked through a tube, they all stared up at Black Manor.

"Woah," said Timothy. "What is this place?"

"Black Manor," said Ursula. She waved over Marius. "This is Marius. He will take you inside where you'll be safe. I'll be back soon."

"Come on kids," said Marius, his usually gruff voice especially kind. "That's a nice cat you've got there. Has she got a name?"

"Tabitha," whispered Caroline. Marius laughed and led her through the gate. Ursula could hear him remarking on what a great name Tabitha was for a tabby cat as she turned on the spot, returning to precisely the same position on the train.

Beatrice had indeed gathered four more muggleborns, with two more on their way. Ursula thanked her and took them all to Black Manor. She could hear complimentary pops as her friends arrived on the winding lane or headed back to the train.

Soon they had a system going, with Ursula, Rue, and Lilian stopping compartment by compartment to search for muggleborns. Some of the sixth and seventh years had the sense not to come back this year, but not many. Fred and George had tremendous luck, entertaining those who had obviously never seen magic before so that Charlie and Flora could whisk them away.

Ursula had enchanted a list of muggleborns, hanging it on the gate so the search party — could it be termed a kidnapping even if it was for the right reasons? — could check it. Whenever they found a student, or learned that they were gone, as in the cases of Hermione Granger and Dean Thomas, their names were checked off from the list.

The older students cried out in recognition when they saw Colin and Dennis, and the younger students were almost too easily terrified into agreeing to leave with Ursula. She assured many that they would contact their parents through the appropriate channels — one student, a halfblood, hurried off the train and told her muggleborn mother to go with Ursula. Three more bemused parents soon arrived at Black Manor as well.

Sirius was quick to show them how they could help, particularly by comforting the nervous students. A few showed a tremor of fear at the sight of him, but his easy manner — and the fact that he had been declared innocent a year prior — meant they soon warmed up to him.

Still, time was against them. Every Apparation was tiring, and convincing the students to trust Ursula and the others was — rightfully so — difficult, and seemed to take longer and longer as the clock ticked closer to eleven o'clock.

"I've found six," whispered Lilian, as she and Ursula cloistered in a trunk closet.

"I've found nine — I got lucky with a compartment of second years," murmured Ursula.

"Rue said she found one, and I've got one more I'm waiting for," said Lilian. "His friend went to find him. I think that's it."

"I'll check in with the others, but I think that should be everyone," said Ursula.

"We did it," said Lilian.

"Don't be too hasty," said Ursula. She looked both ways, then snuck through the empty corridor and off the train. The station was still packed with people — good. Over their heads, however, she saw Hadrian signalling her with a frantic look on his face. One glance at the time told her they had just minutes left.

Ursula Apparated back to Black Manor, staggering slightly as she landed, leaning against the gate and taking a deep breath. All around her, her fellow kidnappers appeared out of thin air. A resounding cheer went up as they compared numbers, counting the muggleborns they had found and the ones they knew weren't on the train.

She leaned over to the list, her eyes scanning down every name, searching for the check marks. All looked good, a few dozen names with neat gold checks, and then —

"We have a problem," said Ursula. No one heard her, so she repeated herself. "We have a problem!"

"What? What's wrong?" asked Hadrian, running over to her with Fred and Marius on his heels.

Ursula pointed at a name low on the list: Alexander Woods. There was no check mark beside his name.

"Shit," said Lilian, who, along with all the others, now crowded around the list. "Shit. What do we do?"

"The only thing we can do," muttered Ursula. "I'll go back and find him."

"You can't!" said Hadrian, catching her arm. "Ursula, the Death Eaters are coming! They'll catch you!"

"They wouldn't dare," said Ursula fiercely. "I've got to go."

Before any of them could respond, she turned on the spot, thinking hard of the trunk closet on the train she had been in just minutes ago. When she opened her eyes, she stumbled, as the train jerked into motion. She didn't need to see a clock to know it was past eleven, which meant she had minutes at best before the Death Eaters invaded the train. She could tell them, of course, but it would jeopardize the entire mission to do so. She had to find Alexander.

Ursula knew where to look. The one place she and the others hadn't personally checked, though they had plenty of students who swore they would: the boys' lavatory. She had to hope no one but Alexander was in there as she barged right in, having no time to lose.

"Hello?" she said, creeping across the empty, slightly shaking room. The train had chugged out of the station by now. She needed to find him, and fast. "Alexander?"

There was a sniffle from the very last stall.

"Alexander? Are you a first year?"

"Y-Yes," came a quiet voice.

"You're scared of going to Hogwarts, aren't you?" said Ursula, stepping closer. "You don't want to be away from your parents, and you don't know anyone. Is that right?"

"Y-Yes," said Alexander again.

"I need you to listen very carefully to me," said Ursula. She was standing in front of the last stall now. "My name is Ursula Black. There are people on this train who are looking for you. People who will do bad things to you if they find you. You need to come with me so that I can keep these bad things from happening to you. Do you understand?"

"Aren't you also looking for me?" said Alexander. Ursula smiled despite herself.

"Yes," said Ursula. "Yes, I was. You're very smart. I suspect you'll be in Ravenclaw when you get sorted. But you won't be sorted if you stay on the train now. You will never reach Hogwarts unless you come with me, now. Alexander, my friends and I have dozens of kids like you under our protection. Please come with me."

From the door, there came the sound of footsteps. Ursula pointed with her hand, and the lock slid shut. Someone pounded on the door.

"Anyone in there?" said Lachlan Pucey, a pained note in his voice.

"Open up at once!" shouted Orion Selwyn.

"Alexander, please," whispered Ursula. "Please come with me."

The pounding on the bathroom door intensified. Far too slowly, Alexander opened the door to the stall. He was very small, and his eyes were bloodshot.

"I prefer to go by Alex," he said in a small voice.

Ursula knelt down so she was at eye level, as the men behind the door threatened to blow it open.

"Okay Alex," she said. "Grab on, and close your eyes."

Alex put his arms around Ursula's neck. She heaved him into his arms and, just as the door was blasted open, turned on the spot, holding Alex as tight as she could. Her feet hit solid, unmoving pavement and she swayed on the spot. Ursula kept her eyes shut for a quivering moment, breathing hard, Alex's arms tight around her neck, and then she heard cheering all around her.

"You did it!" exclaimed Fred, running over at once. Ursula bent down to set Alex on the ground, then fell into Fred's arms. He pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I did it. We did it," she whispered. "We did it."

She pulled back from Fred. Alex was standing behind her, nervous at the jubilation around him.

"Come on," said Ursula, taking his hand. "I'll show you where you'll be staying."

They walked up the lane towards the house. Ursula explained where they were, and promised that they would get word to Alex's parents as soon as possible. There were dozens of students about now, being comforted by one another, introduced to the house elves, or led upstairs to their room. That's what Ursula did with Alex. He didn't let go of her hand once as she led him up to the third floor and down the hallway on the right-hand side.

"This is your room," she said, pushing the door open. Inside was another boy, a little taller and tanner than Alex.

"I'm Jeremy," said the other boy at once, sticking out his hand. "One of them nice ladies said we was to stay here for a while. She said something about danger."

"I'm Alexander — Alex," said Alex, hesitantly shaking Jeremy's hand.

"I'll leave you two to get acquainted," said Ursula, smiling. "Jeremy, perhaps you can show Alex around."

"I'd be glad to, Miss," said Jeremy, giving Ursula a winning smile.

Alex shot Ursula a fearful look as she moved towards the door, but she gave him an encouraging nod and he turned back around to grin at Jeremy. Ursula shut the bedroom door, pencilling Alex's name besides Jeremy's on the door's nameplate. She stood with her back against the wall, tilting her head back to rest against the slightly peeling yellow wallpaper.

She had done it. She had pulled it off. She never would have been able to without the aid of all her friends. Ursula couldn't believe it. The sounds of a packed house pressed against her ears, full of people who would never meet the wrong kind of Death Eater, not under her watch.

Downstairs, Hadrian and Felix stiffened, both feeling the burning pain as their Dark Marks writhed on their arms, summoning them to Lord Voldemort's side. Upstairs, however, Ursula was exhausted, the weight of a week's worth of preparation for a seemingly impossible task finally relieved from her dainty shoulders.

She needed a nap. It was unlikely she would be able to find a spare bed in Black Manor, but after her hectic day, she deserved one. It wasn't even lunchtime yet. Perhaps Fred was free.

But of course, there was work to be done. And Ursula was never one to shy away from responsibility. Her nap would have to wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 148 23
Delilah Ana Malfoy the oldest sister of Draco Malfoy. She is not like her family. She hates Voldemort, she hates her father. She wants to protect her...
324 16 14
Lilian Siria Evans or should I say Potter was raised by the only two people alive who knew of her existence: Peter Pettigrew and Tom Riddle. Lilian E...
6.6K 171 28
"But all those things you said to me." "It was all just a mask Hermione," I told her, "I had to say those things. I had to, because..." I thought abo...
5K 180 37
First she goes to Hogwarts. She falls in love with an older boy, but tragedy strikes, and she feels she can never love again without betraying him. S...