The Bet

By SowmyaVenkatesan1

Marcus Paulen, Earl of Brentwood was handsome, clever, proud, and needless to say arrogant. When he intends t... More

Chapter 1: Wellington Ballroom, London
Chapter 2: Lord Marcus Paulen
Chapter 3: Chestnut House, London
Chapter 4: Hyde Park, London
Chapter 5: The Royal Opera house, London
Chapter 6: The Courting
Chapter 7: Kenston ball
Chapter 8: Somewhere on the road to Nottingham
Chapter 9: The Smith Estate, Nottingham
Chapter 10: The Plunge
Chapter 11: The problem
Chapter 12: Windsor Castle, London
Chapter 13: Lady Martha Paulen
Chapter 14: Garden, Brent Castle, London
Chapter 15: Small Wing, Brent Castle
Chapter 16: Richmond Park, London
Chapter 17: White Lodge, Richmond Park
Chapter 18: The Squabble
Chapter 19: The Charity auction, Brent Castle
Chapter 21: Liverpool, England
Chapter 22: Master Kenworthy
Epilogue
Author's Note
New Story - With love Emma
Bonus chapter 1: Somewhere on the road to Liverpool
Bonus Chapter 2: The Shell Cottage
Spin-off: Star crossed

Chapter 20: The Bet

4.2K 174 3
By SowmyaVenkatesan1

Antony walked in determinedly towards Frances, planning to pull her out, damn with the gossip. However, when Antony called Frances, she seemed not to hear, she looked miserable, her hands trembling violently.

Someone was calling her and taping her hands, but Frances couldn't move. She couldn't look. The air she was breathing was thicker than usual. She had a hard time inhaling.

Then, there was a strong hand helping her up, she obeyed it. Frances walked along, it was Marcus, he was leading her out of the dining room.

Antony followed them. Antony and Marcus were talking in low voices but it was unmistakably angry. It took Frances some time to realize they were arguing.

Frances shivered as they entered the garden. Marcus removed his coat and draped it on her. Marcus and Antony exchanged a few more words and Antony departed. Marcus led Frances to a bench, he made her sit while he remained standing.

Marcus was shaking with anger, he didn't know who he was angry at. How can his mother do this to Frances? Marcus was suspicious when his mother accepted that he had proposed to Frances without a fight, but he didn't dream she would insult Frances like that. She had invited Marcus' mistresses and made sure Frances sat with them. Marcus was not proud of his actions, but bringing Frances in, it was a blow below the belt.

Marcus was not angry with his mother, he was angry with himself. He had done what Antony had warned him not to do, he had shown Frances how cruel the world is.

Marcus' reason behind pursuing Frances was not innocent, but his feelings for her were true. As he watched, Frances looked miserable and trembling, he felt embarrassed of himself. His heart ached to watch Frances like this.

God! What kind of man was he to hurt the women he loved, not being able to protect her. Marcus just realized he loved Frances, he loved her with every being of his life. But he didn't deserve her. All he had given Frances was pain.

Marcus remembered Frances' teary face as she asked about his mistress, damn! Now he had made her sit with them like she was no different.

Frances couldn't bear the silence, she murmured 'Marcus.'

He looked up, his eyes still blazing. 'Antony has gone to fetch you a carriage, you shouldn't be here' he replied without looking at her.

'I shouldn't be here' Frances repeated in a cocking voice.

'Lord Vandam' a man called Marcus turned, it was their butler.

'Yes Alfred,' he replied.

'If you got a moment sir,' Alfred asked.

Whatever Alfred wanted to say, he seemed to want to speak in private. Marcus nodded and followed Alfred a short distance away from Frances' ear shot.

'Fancy seeing you here Miss. Hill.' Frances looked up to see Lord Waymound walking towards her. Frances didn't have strength to deal with him now, so she simply ignored him.

'Things seem to be going well for you,' Lord Waymound said with a smirk.

Frances continued to ignore him.

'Tell me, How does it feel to be a -, I don't know how to say it without insulting you?' he asked.

'What do you want?' asked Frances.

'What I want! I merely sought you to congratulate. It's all thanks to me Lord Vandam is interested in you.'

'What do you want?' snapped Frances.

'Don't tell me, You don't know,' drooled Lord Waymound.

Frances' carriage rolled in and Antony climbed down. He narrowed his eyes seeing Lord Waymound with Frances. Antony walked towards them.

As Antony neared them, he could hear Lord Waymound say, 'I challenged Lord Vandam, he could never have you even if he courted you for a year. Lord Vandam accepted the challenge telling all he needed was two weeks to make you willing in his arms. I must say, I have never been as happy to lose a bet as I am now.'

'You are lying,' said Frances.

Lord Waymound said, 'If you don't believe me, ask your Mr. Bennet, he knows too.'

'Marcus would never do such a thing,' spat Frances.

'Marcus ye! Believe what you want Miss. Hill,' said Lord Waymound condescendingly as he left.

Frances turned to Antony and said, 'He is lying, he doesn't know anything about Marcus.'

Antony didn't reply, he avoided Frances' gaze. Antony knew about the bet. When Marcus took him to Nottingham for a week, Antony was suspicious. Marcus didn't go out of his way to pursue anyone. And when Antony warned Marcus to leave Frances alone, Marcus had said 'And that's what makes this all harder.' It was an unsettling statement, which could make Marcus feel guilty.

So Antony did some digging around and got to know about the challenge. However, he let it pass. Marcus may have started things for the wrong reason, but he knew Marcus had fallen in love with Frances when they were in Nottingham.

Marcus followed Alfred. When they reached enough distance away from Frances and hidden from her view, Alfred said, 'Lady Martha requested your presence immediately at the dinner and she is displeased that you would leave.'

'My mother can be displeased, she has herself to blame.' replied Marcus.

Alfred looked uncomfortable and said, ' if I may be bold in adding, it might be unwise for the young lady's reputation as well.'

Marcus let out a weary sigh and said, 'I will come back once I safely see Miss. Frances off, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.' Marcus heard horses hoof as the carriage came rolling in the drive.

Frances didn't believe Lord Waymound, even though Marcus had never said he loved her. Frances assumed he did. If Marcus didn't love her, why would he propose to marry her.

When Frances looked at Antony's reaction she knew what Lord Waymound said was true. Now it all made sense, Marcus had won the challenge, he had said 'you shouldn't be here.'

Frances looked at Antony and said 'You knew.'

It was a statement not a question. Antony didn't know what to tell.

Frances stood up, she removed Marcus' coat and handed it to Antony.

'Please thank Lord Vandam for inviting me to this party and everything else.'

She walked and climbed into the carriage. Antony offered his hands to help; she declined .

'Thanks for accompanying me, it's most appreciated Mr. Bennet,' with that Frances left.

Marcus came to see Frances, climb into the carriage and leave.

Frances didn't cry, she should cry, she tried but not even a single tear would come. When she saw Marcus look at her angrily, her eyes welled up with tears, but it was dry now.

Frances loved Marcus, she was his. She can never love another man. She believed Marcus loved her, but it seems it was all an act for a bet and she was the prize.

As Lord Waymound had put it, she had willed in his arms and it had not taken Marcus even a week. She had asked him to kiss her. The first time they kissed, she had asked him to kiss.

Marcus didn't do anything without her consent, he had asked 'Do you want me to stop?' and she had begged him not to stop.

What Marcus had done to her was appalling, but she was equally appalled by herself. She had been a wanton.

Now to think of it, Marcus had always apologized to her, every letter he penned had 'I am sorry.' He was sorry for her, sorry that he had to pretend to love her. He must have proposed to marry her because he felt sorry for her.

Suddenly the engagement ring in her fingers grew heavier, she removed it. She had to return it to Marcus; she kicked herself mentally. She should return it to Lord Vandam.

Lord Vandam shouldn't marry her because he felt sorry for her.

*** Cast you vote and Swipe on ***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Alexandra By Tori

Historical Fiction

339K 15.7K 25
*Book 3 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Alexandra Whitlock grew up to be a romantic. However, upon her release into society at...
199K 9.2K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...
Like No Other By Miss Phipps

Historical Fiction

1.2M 57.2K 34
WHEN AN UNLIKELY SUITOR.... The Earl of Stokeford is hardly a man of amiable disposition and social graces. He scowls whenever he pleases, becomes ru...
Bound To Bea By Lily Orevba

Historical Fiction

80.8K 7.1K 47
"No respect for the dead." His words came out in silent whispers, his teeth clenched. A small smile tugged on her lips. "Respect is earned in life, m...