A Different Path

By shainishukla

A year ago, Karna had done the unthinkable when he had come to Abhimanyu's aid, refusing to take part in the... More

Karna
Blood
Decision
Daughter
Discussion
Return
Enemy
Son
Invitation
Sun
Mirror
Glass
Awakened
Questions
Garden
Appeasement
Loyalty
Confrontation
Parting
Compromise
Deluge
Nightmare
Toy
Mistrust
Wheel
Chapter 27: Punishment
Mountains
Threat
Council
Retreat
Separation

River

2.4K 141 50
By shainishukla

Even from where he stood, he could hear the sounds of the Ganga flowing through the city with the indomitable strength that had caused lands and mountains to shift and give passage to the revered goddess. He had always admired the raw spirit of the Ganga; the power cocooned in every single drop, that was as holy and as pure as the milk that one pours on the shivling.

As a child, Karna had always been drawn to the Ganga. He would spend hours watching how the color changed from silver in the noon to orangish at dusk to dark blue at night. How the clouds above would find their replicas on its surface, how at times when he was lucky, he would find a rainbow there after a storm, and that beautiful burst of color would drive him mad with joy. Sometimes, as a kid, Karna would jump into the river to collect all the colors before they would be swept away by the strong waves. Radha Ma would laugh at his naivete and would hold him close to her, as they watched the clouds clearing away slowly and the Sun reclaiming its position as the king of the skies. Light after hours of darkness.

Karna wasn't sure when exactly he had begun to offer his respects to the Sun God by the shores of the Ganga, indeed even his parents didn't remember but for Karna, it was something natural like breathing, so he had never given it much thought. He should have understood that the pull that he felt towards the Sun God was due to a long, forgotten clandestine relationship and the reason he was attracted to Ganga was because for a few days that felt like an eternity, she had been a mother, a father, his family as her waves chartered the course of his destiny. Maybe it was gratitude that made him return to the river or perhaps simply wistful fascination, but he would be there every day at the break of dawn. 

It was during one of those excursions, when the rest of the world was in deep slumber that he came upon the sight of a man, sitting near his spot on the shoreline. Karna was caught by the man's posture, there was a visible strain in his shoulders and his eyes were filled with tears. His long, silver locks flowed freely in the cold breeze and his face was ravaged by some profound grief that Karna was too young to understand. His matted grey beard contrasted against his dark blue angavastram and the man seemed to be completely lost in his thoughts, oblivious to his surroundings.

Karna was amazed by that sight, enthralled by the shocking picture of a man laying out his grief for the world to see. Even from this distance, Karna could see that stranger was a warrior, his muscles evincing an unconquerable strength. Weren't tears a sign of weakness? That is what Father said when he had broken his arm by falling off the peepal tree. But this man didn't seem to harbour any injuries at least from what he could see.

On his own, his feet moved closer to the stranger and his mind was blank, save for one strange thought. He had to talk to him. He had to know.

The old man looked up at him. For a few moments, neither said a word to the other. They just stared.

"Respected warrior, forgive me for intruding but I must ask.....why are you crying?" Karna wasn't sure what ancient sadness was choking him so badly that his throat hurt while uttering those words.

"Because I am upset."

The reply was so simple and straightforward that it caught him off guard. His palms felt sweaty and the sun seemed harsher than it had been a few moments ago.

"If I may be so impertinent so as to ask.......what is the cause of your sorrow?"

The man exhaled and turned his teary eyes to gaze at the waves crashing and tumbling as they journeyed to submit themselves to the mighty ocean.

"My nephew has left the castle. He has retired deep into the forests along with his wives to spend his remaining years as a hermit." The man brusquely wiped away the tears, but they kept coming back. "Oh! My dear Pandu."

Pandu, he remembered that name but he couldn't place it from where. Wasn't his father speaking about this to his mother yesterday evening? But he couldn't recall the exact words.

Karna swallowed hard, wishing he could come up with words of commiseration to ease the pain of the grieving man. "I am so sorry to hear that."

The words left his mouth in reckless haste "Maybe...that is what he wanted."

The older man laughed, his chest heaving, and glanced at him. "Oh no! It wasn't a choice......my mother warned me this would happen. But there is nothing I can do. Alas! our fates are sealed and nothing can change that now. Destiny will make fools of us all! I will just have to sit back and watch how." He chuckled, repeating his last sentence in a low voice, his eyes glassy and unfocused.

"If that is the case, then there is nothing to be done. What is the point of grieving then?"

The man glanced at him sharply, his face impassive and withdrawn, and Karna shook his head, feeling his cheeks flush. Had he said something wrong? From the looks of it the older man certainly appeared to be an important and noble man. Had he been too frank with him? Too blunt? Would he be punished for his indiscretion?

"You are a clever boy." The man whispered finally. "What is your name, son?"

"Vasusena."

"I am Bhishma, the son of King Shantanu and the protector and guardian of the throne of Hastinapura.

Karna was too young, too naive at that time to understand the gravity of that title and of Bhishma's sacrifice. Protector. Guardian. He had been both of those things. Till the very end. Just as he had promised.

"Tell me, do you practise the philosophy that you have so generally bestowed upon me?"

Karna wasn't sure if the old man was mocking him or if he was actually serious. His face was set in stone, all hard lines, and Karna could discern nothing from his stoic expression.

"I have never had a chance to". There was absolute truth behind his words. He had a mother, a father, a lovely home, and lots of friends. He was happy and content. Life had not given him any grief.

"Fate is every bit as cruel as it can be. It will test you.". The way he said those words felt like Bhishma was pitying him. He turned to him. "I hope you will remember your own advice then."

Karna felt an unease creep slowly down his back at the ominous ring in that sentence. Was it a premonition for his future where everything would change so drastically and the boy who was so content in the simple joys of life would turn into a bitter, caustic man who refused to settle, knowing that the whole world could be his if he wanted? Was this moment.....here on the shores of Ganga the beginning of his ruin? He didn't know. Nor did he know that the smile that Bhishma offered him then would be the last time that he would ever smile at him like that.

It was as Bhishma had said.

Fate was every bit as cruel as it could be.

It tested him. Battered him. Crushed him.

If only he had listened to his own damn advice.

Karna sighed and moved away from the window to glance at the entrance of his dilapidated hut.

"Krishna!" He was flabbergasted to see the esteemed ruler of Dwarka standing there, a smile dancing on his red lips.

"May I have permission to enter?" The mischief in his voice was quite evident. Karna rolled his eyes and beckoned him towards the wooden chairs.

"For how long were you standing there?" Karna asked.

"A few minutes."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"You seemed to be in deep thoughts." Krishna settled into the armchair and gestured for him to sit down next to him. "I came to say goodbye."

"When will you return?"

"I cannot say for certainty. It will take time to prepare the kingdom and the army."

Considering Hastinapura's precarious position in the event of any aggression by the kingdom of Magadha, it had become imperative for king Dhritarahstra and his allies to engage in customary preparation for a battle that seemed quite likely with every passing day. The shifting nature of friendship and alliance between the kings of Bharatvarsh was turning even more protean, and hence it would be remarkably obtuse to not have gathered all forces to prepare for all and every contingency.

"When do you leave?'

"Tomorrow at dawn."

The Chief Minister had suggested that kings be allowed to return to their land in order to make the necessary arrangements in their kingdom and also gather up their regiment. There was a system in place to allow a select few rulers to leave every two months such that Hastinapura would not at any time be vulnerable to any ambush that would overwhelm its diminished and largely impuissant army.

Karna would have preferred that Krishna stayed, but he was no fool and understood that with the Narayani Sena having suffered massive casualties in the Mahabharata along with Krishna having no dearth of foes because of his involvement in the war and his blatant and unconditional support of the Pandavas, it was critical that necessary provisions be made for the sake of Dwarka and its citizens.

Still, he was sorry at losing a friendly face.

"It is so strange that you consider yourself friendless when your entire family is here." Krishna winked at him.

"You're wrong. My family is in the mountains."

Krishna's lips twitched, and his smile vanished. "Such obstinacy is unbecoming in a wise man such as yourself. The bonds that bind a mother to her son and a brother to his siblings are not so easily severed."

Karna scoffed. "Sure they are. All it takes is one moment of weakness."

"Will you continue to hold it against her?"

Karna whirled and fixed Krishna with a look of pure shock and anger. "Of course I will. How could you possibly think that her abandonment is something I can overlook so simply?"

"It is not easy, but it is something that needs to be done. For your peace and for her."

Karna pressed his fingertips into his temples, feeling the pain simmer there as thoughts and images that were best left forgotten in the past decided to materialize out of nowhere. "Maybe neither of us deserves peace." He mumbled softly. He sure as hell did not.

"You are punishing yourself and her. What would be the point of silence?"

"Her reputation as a chaste woman will remain unblemished and exemplary. Which was the purpose of her abandonment in the first place."

"Actions taken in a state of distress and vulnerability cannot be taken as an exegesis of a person's character. What happened was tragic, but that does not mean she doesn't care. Your mother was a young woman, naive and scared."

"So was I!" Karna exclaimed with far too much bitterness than he would have preferred. "Alas! That didn't stop her, did it? And yet you question my motives?"

"You are not bound by the unfair obligations and expectations that society places on women under the garb of tradition and duty like she was. The circumstances are different now."

At this point, Karna exploded.

"Why is it that I have to be understanding of everyone and their bloody circumstances when honestly no one ever did that for me? Why must I always be tolerant while people can just say whatever hateful thing they want to my face as if I have no feelings whatsoever! Why do I always have to be fine with everything the world throws at me?"

And he was sick of it. He was bloody sick of it.

Krishna's face was stern and rigid as he stared at him. "So you will choose to hold on to your hate and put both yourself and your mother in misery. Is your pride worth that, maternal cousin?" The words were laced with ire.

Karna turned away. Why did Krishna not understand? It wasn't just a matter of disclosing a secret....it was so much more. That secret had laid the foundation of his life, whatever he had done and whatever he had become could be traced back to it. So much had happened since her mother had set him afloat on the ceaseless waves of Ganga. There was simply no going back, no erasing the past.

Krishna grabbed his arm roughly and spun him to him, his voice raised a few notches higher. "The truth does not only involve Mata Kunti or you, Vasusena. Your brothers have a right to know as well. They need you now."

Karna burst out in sardonic laughter at Krishna's absurd claim, wrenching his hand free from the statesman's grip. The Pandavas needed him? Those five brothers had trudged through every hardship and every tribulation, through sheer force of will and the strength derived from each other's company. They had no need for him. Heck, they were better off without him. Perhaps Kunti's abandonment of him did have a silver lining.

"Do you deny their right to that knowledge? That you happen to be their eldest brother?"

"No, I don't. But I have no intention of disclosing that secret." Karna crossed his arms across his chest. "Besides, from what I remember of our negotiations, the purpose of my being here was to be an ally for Hastinapura. That is it. Nothing more."

"You said that you wanted to make things right!" Krishna screamed at him.

"Yes, with Duryodhana. For forsaking him in battle." Karna gesticulated. "To ensure that Hastinapura is adequately prepared for any danger now and in the future."

"The throne belongs to you! Hastinapura is yours to take. You are doing this land a disservice, Radheya. You are doing your brothers a disservice!"

He hated the disappointment in Krishna's voice because he sounded so damn honest. And that scared him a little. He wasn't sure what happened exactly, but after the war, after what he had almost done to Abhimanyu, he didn't think he deserved anything really. He didn't want anything either. For some reason none of it felt real. The War was all rivers of blood and screams of terror, but there was that unfathomable pain in his chest due to all the ways in which he had wronged so many people that nothing touched him, really. It was only Abhimanyu, his broken body, his bloodied face, his quivering voice that broke that trance and jolted him into action before he had committed the heinous crime of slaughtering his own nephew.

"I have no need for the kingdom, Krishna. I wanted nothing in life but respect. And the tragedy is that it is respect that was forever kept away from me such that now anything that comes from the admission of my true identity would feel futile and empty." Karna knew his eyes were shining with tears and his voice was cracking. "I am not a good man. I don't think I have been one since I accused Draupadi of promiscuity and allowed Dushasan to attack a helpless woman while I watched in glee at having exacted my revenge for some petty words she had uttered years ago."

There was a heavy silence that followed his words.

"Let me help in the war, Vasudev. And then please let me leave." Karna whispered, his voice tinged with dejection. "What you desire is impossible."

Before Krisna could reply, he was interrupted by a knock on the door. Satyaki stood on the doorstep, waiting patiently for Krishna's permission, which was given by a slight nod of the head.

"My Lord, your presence has been requested," Satyaki said. "A messenger has arrived from Dwarka."

Krishna's annoyance was ostensible, but Karna was glad for the distraction. He did not like where this conversation was going. And he was sure if he stayed in the charismatic ruler's presence, he might just convince him.

"Alright," Krishna replied. A softness emerged in his expression, cracking the mask of fiery anger and displeasure. "I must leave, Vasusena but I will return to continue this discussion. Do not believe for a single moment that I am letting this go. Like it or not, your own actions have altered the course of history and given hope for a better future. Do not let this opportunity go to waste."

Krishna left with that, and Karna was already dreading the continuation of their current conversation. Why was Krishna so pertinacious in his incongruous stance that he chose to discard decades of enmity and hatred that existed between him and Kunti's sons? Why didn't he understand it was too bloody late for him and the Pandavas?

Karna eased into the armchair, feeling the pounding in his head grow louder and more painful.

"Is there something you need?" He questioned, noticing that Satyaki hadn't left yet.

"No...I just uh..."

Karna was surprised to see the laconic Satyaki fumble, but then again he had hardly interacted with the man except in the heat of the battle when they were on opposite sides trying to best the other. He remembered Satyaki being a fierce opponent, dextrous and swift with the sword.

"I heard some of the conversation even though I did not intend to" He raised his hand defensively. "Although I do not agree and actively condemn some of your actions, you do have my respect for your skills that put you in the league of the greatest of all. And you also have the respect of several honourable men, however begrudgingly it is bestowed upon you, even if they are loath to ever admit it. "

Karna could do nothing except stare at Satyaki in complete shock as he departed from his home.

Had he heard the man right? How strange was all this?

Karna shook his head, deciding to go out for a walk, feeling suffocated in his small house. Outside, the sunlight hit the top of the huts and the trees and he took a moment to admire the soft orangish glow as it all slowly faded away. Night was falling around him and he strode on, like a restless wanderer, not really caring where he was going.

Taking a turn, he decided to go a little further into the adjoining grove of trees, wanting to get away from civilization. The sky had turned a deeper shade of blue-black and the stars greeted him cheerfully, as if waiting just for him. There were large stones scattered around the small stream flowing by. He knelt down and dipped the tips of his fingers in the waters, feeling a tingling sensation due to the cold. He slowly inched his hand deeper, relishing the feel of it on his skin. It felt like night itself was staring back at him, touching him, soothing him. The dim light blurred it all, making everything softer, and he watched the scenery around him glowing with pellucid beauty as it embraced the darkness with each passing second.

He was about to turn back and return to his cottage when he heard raised voices that signaled an altercation. Taking a few steps to the north, he noticed a group of soldiers trying to hold on to a clearly drunk Nakula as he pushed them away before he toppled to the ground. He saw empty bottles of liquor lying around, crushed to pieces under Nakula's feet, which were bleeding profusely. Sahadeva rushed to his twin but Nakula shoved him aside, mumbling incoherently about something.

There were tents around the place and he recognised the flag. From the looks of it, apparently, King Vibodha had come out here along with his band of noblemen to enjoy the scenery. A man-made pit breathed fire slowly, encased by heaps of firewood and deadfall all of which lay scattered around now. The smell of charred meat and stale alcohol hit him, clearly, this was a celebration that had gone askew.

"Brother, what is this behaviour?" Sahadeva yelled at his twin even as the musicians collected their instruments to take leave.

"Leave me alone!" Nakula slurred his words, sitting on the ground cross-legged, clutching fiercely to a half-filled bottle in his hand. "I just want to be alone."

"It is far too late and quite unsafe for you to be out here in this condition. You didn't even tell me you were here.......I had searched all over for you!"

"Well obviously," Nakula laughed, chugging down the liquor in one go. When the soldiers attempted to lift him off he struck at them, sending them flying to the ground. He sniffed aloud and scuttled to an open drum that contained even more alcohol, ignoring Sahadeva's pleas.

Karna stepped back, knowing he was intruding upon a moment of weakness. Earlier he would have sneered at the depravity in which Nakula had lost himself. Now it simply made him tense and restless, so he decided to leave. Besides, the soldiers clearly had this under control. He was not needed here. He would only make things worse.

And yet for some reason his feet were glued to the ground.

He was surprised at the similarity of this situation to when he had approached Duryodhana a few weeks ago.

Both men were completely inebriated.

Both men were utterly dejected.

Both hated him.

The same anxiety was creeping up on him upon seeing Nakula in a state like this. Nakula, who prided himself on his looks, who searched for beauty in everything, and craved perfection. It was hard to juxtapose that man with the one in front of him with his red eyes, sunken cheeks. and grimy clothes. This was a conspicuous departure from the Nakula he remembered who paraded around in sumptuous silk garments, fully aware of the envious looks thrown his way due to the effortless grace with which he conducted himself and his handsomeness that shone, unlike anyone. The dichotomy between those two versions of the same man brought a sense of unease in him at how drastically things had altered since the cessation of the Mahabharata.

He moved forward cautiously, towards Sahadeva, who hadn't yet noticed his presence as he watched his twin in pure helplessness. His hands grew sweaty and his heartbeat had increased, but he was confident that none of his apprehension was showing on his face.

"You look like you could use some help."

He caught the look of absolute shock on Sahadeva's face to see him there, but the expression was swiftly replaced by contempt and mistrust.

"Thank you but your assistance is not required." He snapped, straightened up, and glared at him.

"You sure about that?" Karna challenged, observing the ease with which Nakula was pushing off any of the soldiers who dared to approach him. He seemed to be in a world of his own. Nakula picked up the empty barrel and threw it at them, which startled both Karna and Sahadeva into action. Sahadeva rushed to his twin and grabbed his arm viciously, pulling his brother to his feet.

"You have completely lost your senses! Stop this right now! You can't-"

Nakula's hand slammed into the right side of Sahadeva's jaw. Sahadeva staggered back, but lost his balance and fell down hard on the ground. Karna froze in shock for a few seconds before launching himself at Nakula, pinning his arms behind him and fixing him with a fiery glare.

"Enough with this nonsense!" He yelled out and Nakula stilled for a moment before struggling hard.

"Let me go! You blasted coward-"

Two soldiers ran up and grabbed the Prince's legs as Karna eased his hold on them. "Stop it you fool! Have you lost your mind?"

"You're one to talk! Sycophant of the highest order! Get your filthy hands off me!"

But Karna didn't do as Nakula requested, which only encouraged Nakula to keep going at him.

The hate in his voice was evident, and the things he said were so horrid, so abhorrent that even the guards flinched. Sahadeva sat on the ground, massaging his jaw, his lips bleeding from a small cut. Karna had expected that Sahadeva would push him off his brother, would join in on Nakula's diatribe, but surprisingly, for whatever reason he stayed put. Nakula went on and on and sometime ago, Karna just stopped listening. Like he had done in the assembly while the other kings debated on his character. Tuned everyone out for the sake of his sanity.

Eventually, Nakula shut down from sheer exhaustion, but Karna only noticed it when he heard Sahadeva clearing his throat. Nobody was moving, they were all gawking at him, waiting. He straightened up, loosening his grip on an unconscious Nakula, preparing to haul the prince back to his guest room. He caught the relief on the faces of the guard when they realised his intention of carrying Nakula. He wasn't surprised, considering the pounding they had received from him.

Silently, he picked up Nakula and began to move towards the palace. Silently, the rest of them followed behind. Sahadeva looked like he wanted to say something, but he didn't. The weather had turned dark and cold, the wind loud and vicious. But Karna was numb to all of that. His legs felt leaden as he walked, remembering all that Nakula had said, and he wondered whether the prince would recall them when he woke up next.

He could see the outline of the guest house come into existence, and his breathing quickened. Would Kunti be there too? He wanted to dump Nakula on Sahadeva and leave immediately. Instead, he strode forward, trying to keep his expression in check, afraid that something would slip out and Sahadeva would know. The youngest Pandava was known for being perspicacious and observant, and no way could he be so careless around him.

Karna was seriously regretting his decision of going out for a walk when he slowly took the steps to the Pandavas' guesthouse.

"The others have gone to search for Nakula," Sahadeva answered the question Karna hadn't asked. Karna nodded at him and followed Sahadeva to what he presumed were Nakula's quarters. He deposited the unconscious prince on the bed and pulled a blanket over him. It was quite cold tonight despite no rain.

"Sahadeva! Are you in here?"

Arjuna and Bhima came bursting into the room, looking harried and breathless, their faces etched in concern. Karna would have laughed at their expression of pure shock, had his heart not been hammering against his chest, begging him to leave. He was woefully unprepared for this. To be in close proximity with any of these men. Bhima was making zero effort to hide his rage, he looked like he wanted to slam Karna against the wall and choke him which was not at all surprising. Arjuna seemed impassive on the outside, but hatred and revulsion radiated off him like steam. But at least Karna was now sure that his decision of keeping the secret of his birth was the right one. Nothing could ever mend this.

He glanced at Nakula sleeping on the bed, then onto Sahadeva, who was staring at him as if he was seeing him for the first time. He opened his mouth, but he wasn't sure what to say or how. The tension in the room was palpable and if this was anytime before the war Karna was sure there would have been a fiery exchange of words, possibly fists, but the truth was that the war had indeed happened and they were all too damaged now.

"I should leave." He mumbled to Sahadeva, careful not to look at him in the face because he was sure that if he did, then Sahadeva would know. His hands were shaking, and he hoped that none of them had noticed. God, he wanted to get away from all of them. He wanted to go back to the mountains, to his wife, his parents, and his children. He missed them so much, and there was no need for him here. Why the hell did he ever think of returning to Hastinapur?

"Thank you." The words were uttered so softly that Karna wondered whether he had imagined them, but Sahadeva moved forward, looking intently at him. "For bringing him back here."

"Right." Karna nodded. The room felt too hot and sweat drops were prickling on his skin despite the cold.

"What he said..."

Karna's eyes met Sahadeva, and he was surprised to see genuine remorse in them, but considering the things Nakula had shouted out......well, he supposed Sahadeva was actually embarrassed about what had happened. He could feel the eyes of Bhima and Arjuna on him, their confusion increasing by the second.

"It's alright." Karna's voice was reduced to a whisper, and he nodded once again before rushing out of the room. He could hear the hushed conversation inside, no doubt Bhima or Arjuna inquiring about his presence.

As he climbed down the final steps of the stairs, he saw Abhimanyu coming right up, and he stopped dead. Abhimanyu noticed him too and came to a halt. Lord Shiva! Had it been a year since he had held a bleeding Abhimanyu in his arms, appalled at the injustice and brutality that had been imparted to the adolescent? It seemed just like yesterday.

Abhimanyu looked the same, but also different. It was the first time he was seeing the boy this close, but there was something about Abhimanyu that bothered him. Because he wasn't sure that this young man in front of him was in fact Abhimanyu. Something was just different about him but he couldn't pinpoint what it was exactly.

He moved forward and stood close to the boy, eyeing him in concern. "Are you okay? You look a little pale," The words spilled out before he could stop them, and he saw Abhimanyu's eyes widen. It was strange that though he didn't see and probably never could look at the Pandavas as his brothers, he had no qualms in admitting that he had a soft spot for Arjuna's son. He cared for him, and the drastic shift in Abhimanyu's eyes, his face, and his manner did not go unnoticed by him.

He raised his hand and rested it on Abhimanyu's shoulders, and Arjuna's son stood unmoving, unblinking, studying him closely.

"Abhimanyu? Are you alright?" Karna repeated earnestly, squeezing the boy's shoulder.

Abhimanyu slowly shook his head leaving Karna speechless.

Karna opened his mouth to speak, but suddenly they heard Bhima calling out to Abhimanyu, asking him to get a healer immediately. Karna had completely forgotten about the wounds on Nakula's feet. Abhimanyu seemed startled at the abrupt interruption, he looked like he was in a world of his own, and now slowly he was descending back to Earth.

The kid rushed out in search of a healer and Karna watched him go, before heading home himself. What an absolutely tiring day it had been. He just wanted to go back home now. He knew he probably would not be getting much sleep, but he had to try. And more importantly, he had to get the hell out of here.

He walked away as quickly as he could, away from the guest house, to his home, where he could be in peace. He almost wanted to thank Gandhari for not allowing him accommodation in the palace premises. Had he lived here, he would not have been able to escape the Pandavas, they were bound to cross paths and that was the last thing he needed. Already, their presence was making him restless and weak.

No, no, no....he cursed himself. There was a War. That is what he had to focus on. Not any of these things.

Kunti watched her eldest leave from the balcony of her room. She had heard him come in, felt his presence, his aura for just like his father he could not be ignored and she hadn't been able to breathe for those few moments in which five of her sons stood united without them knowing. Well, all except one.

She gripped the railing harder; her knuckles white with the force of her grip.

"Karna" She whispered his name with all the love and affection that she couldn't let anyone know. Because why would a powerful and hardened queen like her care for a notorious iconoclast like him?

But she was alone now, with nobody by her side. And so she indulged herself with this small offence.

"Karna." She mumbled again to herself. And again. And again. And again.

When her eldest had ventured deeper into the woods, out of her sight, she sighed and left the balcony to check upon her other sons. She could hear their anxious conversations, could feel their worry and desperation from a mile away.

They needed her.

And she would be there for them.

Like always.

***************************************************************

Meh! Wrote whatever came to my mind..............turned out to be longer to usual. 

If you liked it, leave a review

Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.5K 1.7K 34
Since time told tales ... Hatred, War and Blood were the words used to elaborate the relation between 𝔓𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔞𝔩 and ℌ𝔞𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔞𝔭𝔲𝔯. Both...
62.4K 3K 31
~Book 2 of Mother's secret series~ At the graduation arena, Arjun is winded by a stranger's fierce hatred towards him. The stranger swears himself to...
8.6K 619 12
~𝔹𝕠𝕠𝕜 𝟛 𝕠𝕗 𝕂𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕟𝕒-𝔸𝕣𝕛𝕦𝕟 𝕛𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕪 𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤~ Twelve years of exile and one year of remaining incognito is past and now an...
14.6K 595 23
what would be the events of mahabharata war if lord sri krishna made friendship with karna? What would happened if karna listened to krishna's advice...