Prey

By cannoness

In this life, a human without the money to pay for their own life is worth nothing. Take those humans in as p... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 93 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Book 2
Physical Copies ᕕ( ᐛ)ᕗ

Chapter 27

43.5K 2.7K 1.1K
By cannoness

Doe's POV:

He's been in his bed for hours now.

I couldn't even distinguish if he had moved or not since he got in.

Which wasn't like him at all.

He usually wasn't the type to just lay around and do nothing.

Even when he wanted to just laze, he at least made it look like he was doing something productive in the process.

On top of all that, he'd been completely silent

Very un-like him.

Although we hadn't spoken to each other yet today, he'd at least hum or make some kind of borderline-annoying sound every once in a while.

The complete silence was... off-putting in a way I wasn't used to.

Even though I had planned on not speaking to him at all today.

Well, not just him... I don't know sometimes I just got in these weird moods and Xander thankfully learned how to work around it.

But it all shifted once Layla decided to step into my day.

The initial fear from that must have kicked it out of me, the repose of when she left clearing it out for now.

The last two times she's come by have been the only times she's left without laying a hand on me.

That, and I guess the surprise of how it all went down.

How Xander lied about what he did to Khloe and then denied both of her requests to feed from me.

That he refused to let her take me on the bloodmoon.

I thought I was completely done for once that request left her disgusting mouth.

Usually if she requested something that directly, he was bound to say yes just out of necessity.

That must have been the first time he's denied her without offering some kind of alternative or compromise.

I didn't think that he had it in him, let alone that he was going to keep his word of keeping me safe until the bloodmoon.

I was careful about trusting his words whenever it came to her because usually all of his rationality leaves once she walks in.

It made me actually want to trust what he said to me afterward.

'I'll try to figure something else out after that.'

But as much as I wanted to, I stopped myself.

To save me from later disappointment if she manages to convince him otherwise.

I don't know how long he can fend her off before she does something drastic to drag him back into succumbing to her every will.

But until then...

I quietly turned my body before hopping off of my spot on the window sill.

I couldn't even see him, just make out the lump in his bed.

The motionless lump.

My brows lowered and my lips puckered as an almost spiteful determination solidified in me.

Spiteful to the fact that Layla's interaction lead to him becoming a stupid lump on a bed.

Carefully, I approached where he laid, getting no indication whatsoever that he was aware of my presence.

His position became more evident as I did.

He was laying on his side facing me, the dark blue blanket being pulled up enough to just barely cover his mouth.

It looked like he was holding a pillow against himself with one hand, whereas the other laid on top of the pillow in front of his face.

Although his eyes were closed, his free hand and the odd, almost irritated twitch in his brows immediately gave off the fact that he wasn't asleep.

The fingers on his hand slowly clenched and unclenched, his claws making a short appearance before being retracted.

He'd do that a couple times, create a small wave motion with his fingers, and then start again.

I just watched for a moment, trying to figure out the phenomena of how the hell his nails would elongate and sharpen from seemingly nothing, just to retract and look like mine.

I've seen him do this before, and I could only compare it to being like a stress ball to humans.

A nervous habit of sorts.

Welp, hope he gets over it soon, 'cuz it's my turn to be annoying now.

Setting my hands on the edge of the bed, I lifted my knee up and onto the pillow he was holding before hoisting myself up.

His eyes opened wide straight away, his fingers stopping their movement as I horizontally crawled over him.

He stared at me with confusion, most likely trying to figure out where I was going with this.

From there I practically rolled myself over him, landing face-up on top of the blanket a few feet away with a quiet 'oomf'.

A full-body stretch came almost on instinct as I felt myself sink into the mattress.

I didn't come up here often, but every time I did, I forgot how this bed swallows me in the most perfect way imaginable.

It sometimes made me want to accept the offer to sleep up here Xander gave me a while ago.

The bed was stupidly huge, and since he always stayed to one side, there's be no worry of us ending up in each other's space.

It was comfortable, but not in a 'safe' sort of way.

In the cage, I had metal bars on every side of me. I was protected from all sides at all times.

The bed was great, but a little too out-in-the-open for my liking.

My stretch ended with a blissful exhale, my hands intertwining behind my head before I turned it.

Xander had moved just enough to watch me, his upper body being pushed up and supported by his elbow as he cautiously looked me over.

I guess me being pacific called for a raise in caution.

Actually... that was fair.

I wasn't like this that often, so he better appreciate it while it's here.

"What do you want for dinner? I'll order." I stated casually.

He looked confused for a moment before checking the window.

It seemed he didn't realize how long he'd been here and that the sun had set nearly an hour ago.

And that I was starving.

"Oh," He spoke before tossing away the blanket.

He managed to roll himself over while still keeping the same distance away from me that I had set.

"Sorry, I uh- didn't realize how late it was. If you were hungry you could have just-"

"I know," I cut off his guilty rambling.

I was trying to lighten the mood as somewhat of a thanks for what he did, and that guilt wasn't going to help, "and I was going to but figured that I'd be nice and ask if you wanted anything first. Y'know after your long and harrowing day of laying here and doing absolutely nothing." I spoke semi-seriously.

Luckily he picked up on the other half, his brows relaxing and a very faint smile following.

"Nah I'm good, thank you though." He replied.

Bullshit.

I know for a fact he hasn't eaten since this morning.

Bringing up a knee, I crossed my other leg over it.

"You sure? No blood or anything?"

I didn't miss the intentionally not-so-subtle glance to my neck.

"You offering?" he asked with a smolder.

There we go.

I scoffed, quickly extending my arm and placing the pads of my fingers against his cheek, pushing it to force him to look the other way.

I could handle a small touch like this knowing that I was in control.

That and knowing how much he thrived off of this sort of thing.

I'll call it a reward for coming to his sences for once.

He finally responded with that playful laughter before I took my hand back.

"You wish," I responded.

His eyes were brighter when he turned back, any remnants of that weird look he had prior now nowhere to be seen.

"Yeah, yeah," He teased before finally making a move to get up, "It was worth a shot."

He faced the bed before pushing himself up, ending up on his knees before raising his arms and yawning within a stretch of his own.

Such a cat-like yawn with those fangs.

His hands both ran themselves through the disaster that was his hair before he just shook it out and sat on his knees.

"You know now that I think about it I am kind of hungry." He admitted like the realization just now presented itself.

I just blinked at him.

When have I ever been wrong?

Never. Literally never.

"You don't say," I responded flatly, earning another small chuckle before he stepped off of the bed.

"You look comfortable, so I'll order. What do you want?" That grin of his stayed.

Such a quick change in disposition.

Something I was used to seeing the other way around.

How he'd go from something to close to this, to what he was just minutes before whenever she showed up.

How he didn't notice it was beyond me.

Or... Maybe he did.

I forced the thought out of my head, not wanting to focus on that right now.

"Just get two of whatever you want. Surprise me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 132 23
And I woke up. My god.. a memory turning into nightmares is the worst. Until I looked down, I didn't realize I was scratching my arms but they were a...
1K 25 25
Life sucks Until you realize the wonders it holds. Dacia Gordon's life went from normal to weird in the blink of an eye when she moved from her home...
7.8K 241 32
7 years ago, an infection spread throughout Earth's population. Many were turned into what can only be described as a zombie. The cause of this infe...
19.1M 909K 96
ATTENTION: This is the SECOND book of my Vampire's Pet series and cannot be read as a stand alone book. ~~~ I thought that my life had ended the day...