Kira and Jared [Historical Ro...

By EstherAshar

After watching me struggle to his heart's content, he gripped my neck and started choking me. Then he began t... More

✍️Prologue
✍️INTRO: The emperor's bastard
✍️Jordan
✍Runaway daughter
✍Prince Edrin
✍The unexpected
✍One last time
✍First wedding night
✍I'm sorry, Kira
✍The Verhamian Princess
✍The verdict
✍Tragedy
✍The truth
✍Revived
✍Maybe this is our chance to be happy
✍Jared's hearing
✍Second wedding night
✍Revenge
✍Meeting Victor
✍A sick twist
✍️Our only hope
✍️The blacksmith
✍️The secret tunnel
✍️The countdown
✍🏻War
✍🏻The purple tree
✍️King Dexter's letter
✍️Jared
✍️High-risk pregnancy
✍🏻Her caregiver
✍️Vena, daughter of Vethruk
✍️Kira's rival
✍Stay a bit longer
✍Grayson Vanderhall
✍Brave
✍Grief
✍Power-hungry
✍Grayson's daughter
✍Osiris
✍Nightmare
✍Regrets
✍Soulless
✍Breathe no more
✍Her return
✍Our secret place
✍Their love story
✍Rebels
✍Maybe
✍Jaeigh
✍Third wedding night
✍️Epilogue
AUTHORS NOTE

✍🏻I played with fire and got burned

550 44 1
By EstherAshar

Two months later

Kira's point of view

"Mama! Mama!"
Came little Jude's voice from behind me, grabbing my attention. I turned to my little bundle of happiness who was waddling up to meet me, holding his wooden toy in his right hand.

"My baby boy!" I carried him and kissed his forehead.
Since after the war, he had been one of the reasons I look forward to each new day.

Jared had secretly returned to Aakh to find out more about the attack. But before he left, Edrin and I took the bold step of explaining to the people of Verthona why we had to fake his death and how he was the major reason for our victory. Though we did not say the complete truth, we just had to put it in such a way for them to understand the importance of having 'Jared the terror' as our Kingdom's defender. They all cheered for him after that.
I was so happy for Jared, he would not have to live in hiding any longer.

Edrin had been doing better, learning how to be a good King. Did I mention that King Grayson and his cowardly ministers returned after they were sure that the coast was clear? The nobles and royals had the impetus to question Jared for having faked his death. If only the people knew how they fled in times of distress, they would be in trouble.

******

After putting Jude to sleep, I returned to the chamber I share with Edrin. He was busy with some official work.

He looked up at me and his face lit up. "Where were you, my dear wife?"

"I went to tuck your son in for his nap," I said cheerfully as I took off my scarf. It's cold outside.

He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me. I knew exactly what he wanted. "My wife is so cold. I know how to make you feel better". He said mischievously.

"How?" I played along.

"I'd kiss you-".
He kissed me on my lips. His lips were warm and I needed that. His tongue sought permission to enter my mouth and I granted it. Our tongues danced graciously around each other as we both got lost in a whole new world.

"Let's get these clothes off, shall we?" He said while caressing me.

"But I'm cold". I whined.

"Don't worry. haven't you heard the expression; 'you have to face it to overcome it?"  He asked with a huge smile on his face.

I gave him a playful look. "Oh really? What wise sage said that?".

"Someone". He replied nonchalantly.  "Now, where were we?"
He kissed me again and I didn't hesitate to lose myself to him.
I don't know how it happened but we were both on our bed, naked, and making the best of our free time.

"Edrin?"  I called him, after our long, lovemaking session.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think Beatrice is fine where she is?" I asked, enjoying the heat from his body.

"Hmmm? I don't care. Let me sleep, darling".

He slept off.

I wondered how she was. I know we never liked each other but she is still Jude's mother. I cannot forget her just like that.

*****

"Your Highness, please come with me". A servant girl rushed to my chamber two days later. I was busy knitting some sweaters for myself.

"What is the matter, Olga? Why were you running?"

"Please come your Highness, I can't explain-".

I followed her to the backyard.
"Oh my God!"
I ran to the person I saw on the ground.

"Beatrice! Beatrice! Open your eyes, Beatrice... Get me Edrin, NOW!"

Beatrice was in very bad shape. Her eyes had dark circles, her once-perfect skin was shrunken and wrinkled, her lips looked crispy dry, and her hair was overly tangled and unkempt. In general, she looked haggard and unrecognizable.
Edrin soon came out with the King. They both looked shocked to see her. Edrin carried her in his arms to the royal physician. King Grayson and I followed.

The royal physician took one good look at her.
"She is malnourished", He stated.

After Edrin and I left her with the doctor, we went to check on Jude who was busy playing in his nursery, the same room that Jared and Edrin grew up in.
I felt so bad for the poor boy, he does not know that his mother is in such a terrible condition.
But what happened to her? The last time I saw her, she was with King Grayson. How come she ended up like that? I needed to go ask him.

I knocked on the door of the King's study, wondering where all the guards had gone.

"You may enter". He announced.

I walked in and closed the door behind me.
He looked up from the scroll he had on the table. I noticed that his countenance changed to disdain, but switched to a fake smile in less than a second.

"Ah, my dearest daughter-in-law, to what do I owe this first visit ".

Please spare me the falseness; I said in my mind. I walked further into his study. "Your Majesty, good day". I took a seat before he said I could.  "I want to ask you about Beatrice". I went straight to the point.

"What about her?"... His face showed me that he did not want to discuss the topic, but I pressed on anyway.

"Where did you take her the last time?" I asked.
Usually, it was unheard of that anyone would question the King, but I did not care about that today.

"Well, I sent her my friend to look after her, but she ran away from his house. Who knows where she went to". He mumbled nonchalantly.

"Who is this friend of yours?" I looked him straight in the eyes.

"Kira, my daughter-in-law, I am busy with work as you can see. See yourself out".

He went back to whatever he was reading. I left his study, still confused but I decided to let it go, the important thing is that she is back.
We kept her return a secret because if the people found out, they might demand her execution like the prime minister.

The next day, I went to see her in the treatment room. Her eyes were half-open. I sat beside her, stroking her unwashed hair gently.
Her eyes shot up at me and began to gush out of them. But she did not speak.

"Beatrice, why are you crying?"

"K-K-Kira. L Li Li-"
She tried to tell me something, but we were interrupted.

"I came to check on her".  King Grayson showed up unexpectedly.

Her eyes grew wide when she saw him. I saw the fear in them, She was afraid of him! Her body began to shiver as he stepped into the room.

"Beatrice, what is the matter?" I asked her again but she did not say anything.

"What did you do to her?". I inquired of King Grayson.

He scowled at me. "Nothing".
Then his eyes moved down to her. "Right, Beatrice?".

She stopped shaking and was gasping for breath. I called the doctor, and he rushed in with his nurses and administered some herbs to her.

She relax soon after and fell asleep.

AFTER TWO WEEKS
Beatrice was feeling much better. She was able to walk on her own, and speak clearly, but never mentioned anything about her ordeal.
Most importantly, she could play with her son again!
Jude couldn't remember her face, and for that reason, he did not like spending time with her as he did with me. But I had to let him stay with his mother, I would never dream of separating mother and child.
Edrin avoided her by all means, he refused to have her anywhere near him. Despite my efforts to make him accept her back, he forbade me from ever mentioning her name to him.

When she had recovered to a good extent, she was able to enter the kitchen and make food for her son.
She once told me that she did not want anything to do with Edrin anymore, she is only here for her son. I don't know what the future holds, so I did not let myself believe everything she said.

One evening, I was having dinner with the King, the Queen, Edrin, and Jude. Beatrice had many times refused to eat at the table with us, so I had stopped inviting her to join.
But she came unannounced that evening, I was surprised but I gladly let her eat with us. The King and Queen did not like it, and neither did Edrin, but I did it anyway.

She brought an apple pie she baked. "I made this for you, princess Kira"... She smiled as she offered me a slice.

"I told you not to call me that, Beatrice, didn't I?".

She smiled timidly and nodded.

"Okay then, I will have this as dessert". I accepted the plate containing the pie slice and placed it on the dining table.

"It is especially for you prin-". She stopped herself from finishing the word.

"Better". I said playfully.

She went away happily.

It felt so nice to have her as a friend.

***

After our meal, I was about to leave with Edrin when I remembered the pie she gave me.
"Oh! Hold on Edrin, I have to take the...Ahaha...Jude is taking a bite already".
I laughed as I saw Jude eating the pie his mother made. He had become quite the mischievous child, hiding under the table at times and stealing food from our plates.

"NOOOOOOO! MY SON!! NO!!"
Beatrice ran out of the kitchen, grabbed her son, and started to force the food out of his mouth. This action caused him to start crying.

"What are you doing, Beatrice?!" I yelled at her. But she glared at me and slapped me across the face.

"How dare you hit my wife, Beatrice!! Are you mad?! She is the only reason you are still in this castle and you dare raise your filthy hands on her?!!".. Edrin scolded her but she ignored him and continued forcing the food out of Jude's mouth.

"Beatrice, what is the matter? Tell me". I asked again, shoving Edrin away to keep him from hurting her.

She looked at me again, as furious as a scorned witch. "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO LUCKY, KIRA!!! HOW COULD YOU LET HIM EAT THE PIE? I MADE THEM FOR YOU!!!!"... That was when I realized, they were poisoned!

Jude's face had already gone pale, and he was crying weakly.

"JUDE! JUDE! Let's take him to the physician!!" I screamed atop my voice. I took him from her arm and ran like a madwoman till I reached the treatment room where the physician was.

"DOCTOR!! HELP HIM!! PLEASE!!"... I cried out.

Beatrice was stupefied. She only followed because Edrin dragged her along.

"Have you seen it now?! I told you not to let this witch into this castle but you refused to listen to me, now see what she has done. She wanted to kill you!". Edrin yelled at me.

I was crying so bitterly that I didn't have the strength to respond to him.

Beatrice sat on the floor, not saying anything, not even crying, just, detached.   "It's a lethal poison, from the seeds of a plant in the Amoshan abyss. It has no remedy". She said quietly.

"What are you saying, Beatrice?! How could you do such a thing? Now, look at Jude! See his condition! what were you thinking?!"   I screamed at her, crying like an insane person because I was going insane. The thought of losing Jude made me remember the night I lost my son. I did not want to relive that night at all.

"Calm down Kira, he will be okay, stop crying, my darling"... Edrin held me tightly.

"Maybe we can get the antidote, Doctor, if we bring the plant, can you get the antidote? The Amoshan abyss is a desert far away, but I know we can get there in time to get the plant, please doctor". I pleaded with the physician.

"I'm sorry, your Highness, but it is impossible ". The grey-haired man expressed.

"There is no antidote". Beatrice repeated over and over.

****

  I stayed up, praying and crying for Jude to somehow make it through. He was pale and was not responding to our callings any longer, but his chest was moving up and down slowly. His breathing was becoming weak by the minute! I was afraid of the unthinkable. Because of Beatrice's stupid decision, Jude is suffering.
Edrin, Beatrice, and I sat around his sickbed. Begging him to fight.
King Grayson and Queen Violet stood at the far end of the room. It was late at the night. Everywhere was quiet except for us three.

   As the early hours of the next dawn were approaching, Edrin and Beatrice had fallen asleep, King Grayson rested his head on a chair in slumber and Queen Violet had retired to her chamber.
I noticed that Jude's chest was not moving anymore. His skin had turned pure white. I touched his face and it was as cold as ice. I stood up to go call the physician hoping he could fix it.

He came and examined Jude. "I am sorry your Highness, but he is gone".

"NOOOOOO!!" I screamed.
This woke everyone else up and they looked up at the physician and me.

"He is no more, your Majesty". He repeated to the King.

Beatrice said nothing, she only stood up and looked at her son for some time while Edrin and I mourned for the little boy who had to suffer for what he knew nothing about. I cried for a long time and Edrin held me in his arms, consoling me, struggling to keep it all in.

  Suddenly, we heard a loud thud. We ran to the other room to see what caused the noise.
There, on the ground laid Beatrice with a slit wrist, surrounded by her own blood.

"Beatrice!!!" I ran to her.

She was laid on a sickbed and the physician managed to save her in time before she bled out.

"Beatrice, how could you make such a stupid decision, I am so angry with you for trying to hurt yourself".  I scolded her.

She was staring at the ceiling unblinkingly. "It's all over now. I have nothing more to live for."

"Don't say that, there will be greater days ahead, I-I promise". I tried to cheer her up.

"You don't understand, it's all over. I took the poison". She revealed.

"What? Beatrice?".   My heart was breaking into a million pieces.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes.  "I have to tell you something before he comes to stop me". She said.

I paid attention to her.

"Jude was not Edrin's son ". She revealed.

I shook my head immediately.  "That's not true, they have the same features, don't say that". I shunned her.

"They have the same features because they are brothers... Jude was Grayson's son".

I could not believe my ears. "Beatrice..."

"There's no time, he's coming to kill me".  She grabbed my hand abruptly from her lying position, then she raised her head to whisper something to me. 
"Go to Grayson's room, you will find the truth. Everything you need to know about him is in there. The truth about Jared-"

The door was pushed open and King Grayson walked in. Beatrice glared at him, not saying a word.

"How are you, Beatrice?" He calmly asked her.

She did not reply. But then she started to cry like a baby...  "It hurts so much. I can't believe my son went through this pain... K-Kira, I'm sorry for everything I did to you, please forgive me...aaahhh!!".
Beatrice was in so much pain I couldn't stop myself from crying too.

She continued. "I played with fire and got burned..."   She had her eyes on Grayson when she said this.
He maintained a stoic facial expression, only staring at her.

...after one long, pain-filled hour, Beatrice died.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 90.4K 39
"What is it about you, Kira?" Oliver asked, more to himself than me, in a whisper. I could hardly breathe with him being so close and my heart was po...
4.2M 103K 68
Danielle and Nate haven't gotten along in years, but when Nate discovers Danielle was raped the year before, he's determined to fight for her and for...
3.2K 152 16
"Do you know what it feels like to sweat in bed, Bailey? Have you ever felt your body giving out, but being so consumed that you don't want to stop?"...
325K 9.9K 42
Please look into reading the full story on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTN28YRV?nodl=1&dplnkId=5d6a5848-c601-4164-9a4d-b934a6d97e01 "Ever Dan...