Kira and Jared [Historical Ro...

By EstherAshar

After watching me struggle to his heart's content, he gripped my neck and started choking me. Then he began t... More

✍️Prologue
✍️INTRO: The emperor's bastard
✍️Jordan
✍Runaway daughter
✍Prince Edrin
✍The unexpected
✍One last time
✍First wedding night
✍I'm sorry, Kira
✍The Verhamian Princess
✍The verdict
✍Tragedy
✍The truth
✍Revived
✍Maybe this is our chance to be happy
✍Jared's hearing
✍Second wedding night
✍Revenge
✍Meeting Victor
✍A sick twist
✍️Our only hope
✍️The blacksmith
✍️The countdown
✍🏻War
✍🏻I played with fire and got burned
✍🏻The purple tree
✍️King Dexter's letter
✍️Jared
✍️High-risk pregnancy
✍🏻Her caregiver
✍️Vena, daughter of Vethruk
✍️Kira's rival
✍Stay a bit longer
✍Grayson Vanderhall
✍Brave
✍Grief
✍Power-hungry
✍Grayson's daughter
✍Osiris
✍Nightmare
✍Regrets
✍Soulless
✍Breathe no more
✍Her return
✍Our secret place
✍Their love story
✍Rebels
✍Maybe
✍Jaeigh
✍Third wedding night
✍️Epilogue
AUTHORS NOTE

✍️The secret tunnel

611 47 1
By EstherAshar

Lila's POV

  Kira and I grew up together, we were practically sisters. We shared everything and we loved each other dearly. My mother would often compare me with Kira, saying that I should learn a thing or two from her and that Kira was more beautiful than I am.
  When we both were ten, Bianca became our friend but I never liked her and the feeling was mutual. I was always in Kira's shadow, everyone would notice her and ignore me. I hated her with everything in me, every single cell in my body despised her but I always had to pretend.

  My mother was addicted to gambling. We lost everything we owned because of her incurable habits. She resorted to drinking and taking her frustrations out on me.  She would strike and push me whenever she was in a bad mood, and I could not say anything to anyone.

  What no one except my parents knew, was that I developed a mental illness because of her bad treatments. I often had blackouts and would wake up later to find my room in a terrible state. I even attempted suicide and killed our puppy during one of my fits, which earned me a lot of beating from my mother. She hated me so much but loved Kira, she often told me that she wishes Kira was her daughter instead. How could I not hate her when she took away my mother's love?

  I would always dream about killing Kira by stabbing her multiple times, and it felt good, it became an obsession. I started looking for a way to go somewhere very isolated with just her so that I could fulfill my longings but Bianca always tagged along. That nosy, loud-mouthed girl never left Kira for a minute.

  When Kira and I turned nineteen was when she met Jordan or Prince Jared as he turned out to be. I would secretly watch them from afar when they were together in the fields, how he held her so lovingly... That was something I also wanted for myself, someone who would give me the love my mother never gave me.

  Jacques, Madame Aimée's son was my first secret obsession, we had sex countless times but he never proposed to me or asked me to be his woman. He was always chasing after Kira despite her not looking his way. He is a fool! I was right in front of him, giving myself to him whenever he wanted, but he never loved me or paid any attention to me.

  After Jordan came into the picture, I forgot about Jacques. Jordan was more sophisticated, a man of few words and a calm demeanor. But he never looked my way either, what does he see in her that he does not see in me?! But Edrin, I was thrilled when she insulted him that day, I thought, he will help me get rid of her. But I was wrong and she became his wife.
I liked him first! I knew him first, then why did he choose her again?! Why?

  I could not take it anymore, my mother taunted me with the news of their marriage and I grew more bitter than I already was.

  Thereupon trying for so long, I finally met with the Verhamian Princess, Beatrice. I knew she must have hated Kira as much as I did and I was right. I agreed to be her pawn in destroying Kira once and for all. I instigated the people of Konland against her by poisoning their minds. All it takes is a few people with torches in their hands to start a huge fire that can consume the entire world.

  I started sleeping with the Prime minister after Beatrice introduced us, but without her knowledge. One night, in his drunken state, Franklin told me all about his plan with his daughter. I used that information to get what I wanted from him, one of which was to be close to Edrin. That was for him to convince his daughter to make me Edrin's courtesan.

   During the attack on Konland, I was in the capital. Shortly after, I received word that my mother was among those who were killed but I couldn't care less, I had to finish what I started.
The plan was that after Kira's death, he would focus on my needs. But the unforeseen happened and he was killed instead.
That Kira is one lucky girl.

I thought all hope was lost until someone approached me, someone I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams, King Grayson...

***

JARED'S POV

The men and I walked into the capital inn. A sweet, partly-fruity scent hit my nostrils as we moved further down the hallway that leads from the main entrance into the main hall. The hallway was dimly lit but on entering the main hall, there was just about enough light to balance it out. Hector was right, the place indeed was packed. Dangerous looking men were at every corner; men who didn't seem to have human sympathy. Believe me, I can recognize a killer from a mile away for I was trained to be one myself.
The walls were of solid colors, red curtains were used to demarcate some areas of the large room, granting certain privacy to those who requested it.
Provocatively dressed dames sauntered around seductively, sitting on the laps of lustful men. Among the men were mostly unsuspecting Verthonians who, like Hector, come to get drunk and have a good time.

There were just three of us to avoid arousing suspicion; Hector, Victor, and me. Taking our respective seats, we observed the entire room, focusing on frequently and less frequently used openings.
What got me perplexed was that more men were guarding the kitchen door than the main entrance.

We ordered drinks to buy time. The barman introduced himself as Henry. He seemed friendly but there was something off about him; his eyes darted around frequently as though he was communicating with his eyes.

"Greetings, Handsomes... What would you love to eat?". One of the provocatively dressed girls came up to us. I could see Hector's eyes glance down at her full bosoms. She was gorgeous with big, blue eyes, ruddy lips, and curly dark hair. She concentrated on me as her body language worked seductively. She placed her hands gently on my shoulder and brought her face close to mine, nuzzling my face sensually. "A strong man like you deserves all my attention".

"Thank you for the offer, but I will let you know when I need you". I declined politely. She seemed stunned but turned and walked away to hide her embarrassment. I watched her enter the kitchen area, and that was when I noticed that the men exiting the kitchen were different from the ones who entered a while ago.

"We need to follow her". I said in a low voice.

Victor replied, "They probably won't let us in there"

"One of us needs to create a distraction. Hector, you will act as if you drank way too much and... you know what to do". I trust Hector's theatric skills.

"But what next?". Hector asked.

"Wait for us at the market, if we do not return by sunset, inform the others that we have found their hideout; and if that is the case, you all should wait for my signal. When the time comes, do exactly as Edrin says, do you understand?"

"Yes sir, I will do as you have said".

"Good, now begin". I ordered.

He fell to the ground and began saying really stupid things, even I felt like slapping him. But he was doing an awfully good job. Soon, everyone's eyes were on him, the men who stood guarding the kitchen door were forced to go check him. That gave room for Victor and me to slip into the kitchen unnoticed.

The place was nothing like I imagined; a space so small could not have contained so many men. The cooks practically squeezed themselves past one another just to move around. And the heat! Not a single window in sight!

"Look there, Sir". Victor whispered.
I looked in the direction he was pointing and saw an almost undetectable door. 'Undetectable' because it is merely a hole in the wall, big enough for a dog to pass through. "I saw someone go in". He completed.

We looked at each other, wondering where it could lead. Ultimately, we swallowed our fears and went for it. Thankfully, Hector's drama drew the attention of even the cooks, but we knew we had to be quick.

I squeezed myself into the hole. How do those men do it? I wondered. Victor followed suit into the overly dark and small hole. "What now, General?"

"I don't kno-....!"

The next few seconds came with a terrible experience of falling down the rabbit hole or rather, rolling down a poorly constructed staircase. For heft men like Victor and I, it felt horrible!

We landed ungracefully at the bottom.
After I had successfully pushed his heavy body off of me, I looked up to receive the greatest shock of my life.

We were in an underground tunnel, torches were hung on opposite walls, and they illuminated the tunnel all the way ahead.
Unfortunately, we had drawn the attention of three men who were close enough to hear us falling and screaming like little girls. They perceived we were not one of them and ran to attack us, without much effort, Victor and I took out all three men.  We dragged their unconscious bodies to the darker corners of the tunnel. Some other men passed by without noticing our presence.

We changed into the uniforms of two of the three unconscious men. Knowing how bad it would be for us when these men would wake up and raise alarm, we were left with no choice but to kill them by snapping their necks. Then we began walking confidently through the underground passageway. The walls are seven feet apart and were supported by pillars, similar to a mine.
It was not hard for Victor and me to blend in with the rest of the men who passed us along the way because we are just as built as they were and similar in height.
In my mind, I was wondering how long it must have taken them to burrow such a large tunnel underground. A tunnel that far and well-supported could not have started in just a year, but many, many years.
I thought back to the information we received some years ago, about a syndicate operating on our soil, a syndicate that was responsible for the smuggling of forbidden entities, strange weapons, and women from other regions. It was eventually declared 'untrue' because we did not find any proof of such an activity.
Maybe this was it, maybe the reason we could not find out anything was that it had been going on underground all along. I should have paid more attention.
After weeks of walking and making stops at various underground quarters to eat and rest, we finally reached the end of the tunnel.
  We walked out into the cold outside. The grounds were covered with snow, and the sky was a dull blue as the dawn gradually crept in. The land was vast and outspread, with fences demarcating it into portions.
I recognized the place as the Night-road, the secret link between Verthona and the Aakhian empire, where illegal activities had been known to take place for years.

  Opposite the tunnel's exit was a storehouse as big as a mansion. Every man was instructed to carry a week's worth of rations. Victor and I joined the cue of men trooping into the storehouse, We gathered food and grabbed a few weapons, then we snuck into a smaller room along the corridor and hid to avoid going back to the tunnel. There, we sat down to eat and catch our breaths.

"The Aakhian empire?", Victor asked, skepticism written all over his face.

"I am as confused as you are, my friend. What does the almighty Aakh need from us, we are nowhere near them".

"What do we do now, your highness?". He stared at me as though I had the answer to every problem.
For me, that is the toughest part of being a leader.

"Uhm... We have to be sure of this first before accusing anyone. But the symbol of the Aakhian empire is a Lion, why would they follow the pattern of an eagle". I was still doubtful.

"Maybe they want to mislead us". He speculated.

"Did you see the inventions back at that storehouse? Doesn't it remind you of the time we fought in the war of the five great Kingdoms?". I asked, hoping he'd remember.

His eyes lit up. "The types of weapons and machinery used by those soldiers in that war were nothing like I had ever seen. Does that mean that the Aakhian empire funded the war?"

When Victor said those words, my mind began to travel, maybe he is right. Someone else played the dirty game but we are the ones who got stained.

I exhaled before focusing back on him. "We will have to follow those men to wherever they are returning to, but we must wait till nightfall to join them".

"What about Hector and the others, your highness?"

"They will figure out a plan, I trust them". I had worked out a detailed plan with Edrin for every possible outcome. "Let the countdown begin".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.2K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
458K 18.8K 69
"Strip." I felt like I misheard him, but his hardened features said otherwise. I gulped down the lump in my throat and moved my hands to my back to...
1.7M 73.5K 104
Pushing him away from her, she screamed at him ; " This wedding was an option for you.. But not for me.! You really think that if given the opportuni...
3M 75.6K 92
"WAIT!? YOU SOLD ME?" - "You are mine, Emily... You belong to me" he whispers in my ear and then kisses me. I feel electricity through my whole body...