Wolf #1: The Pack [COMPLETED]

By MeganCartwright

First Installment of The Wolf Series We are all half human. Half beast. Some of us are just better at hiding... More

Preview
Copyright & General Information
Art, Photos & Extras!
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Epilogue
Sneak Peak: The Wolf Book 2
Sequel Released!

Chapter 38

175 10 0
By MeganCartwright

Chapter 38

Richard's arms consume me. I sink into his arms as my parents hug his parents goodbye. We've just been over to discuss me participating in dance again, and thankfully they have decided to pull some strings for me. I'll lose my position as any future leads but I'm more than happy to dance ensemble.

"It's been great seeing you again," He smiles, "We only ever see each other in school now."

"We'll hang out soon," I promise, "I've just been sorting out a lot of stuff."

"Take your time. I'll be waiting."

His cheeks are pink as we leave, waving as we pull out of their suburban driveway. My mom turns around and grins.

"He likes you, baby."

I roll my eyes, "Ma—I have a boyfriend."

"Who?" My dad asks sharply. "Is he the one who's been getting you up to no good?"

"No...Jace..." I says slowly, "Detective Abel introduced us at...Steph's funeral. He goes to the same school as me."

"Oh? Is he a senior too?" My mom smiles at me.

"He's a junior."

My dad packs out laughing but says nothing more. When we get home, I go off to walk in the forest. They don't ask any questions. After a long, hard talk the night before, I made it clear that I don't need them to coddle me when they choose to. They've also decided to take a break from traveling for business and stay at home with me until I graduate.

It's sweet and I appreciate it a lot. But I can't help but wish that it hadn't taken Steph to die and for me to have a breakdown for them to change.

I reach the lake. Its surface is still and looks like a massive mirror that has been place in the center of the glade. I sit down on the log that stretches out into the middle of the water, acting like a dock.

The water is cool and refreshing against my ankles as I hang my feet off the side. Everything is calm, but I feel a lot like the water. Still and tranquil, but the smallest movement will cause massive ripples. I can't lose control like I did last time.

As I fish the herbs that Mallory had given me from my coat, I stare at them with silent reservation. I can admit it to myself now that I'm alone.

"I had wanted to kill him," I blink as the tears flow freely down my cheeks. What does it make me? Am I a bad person...or is this what it means to be a Wolf?

Whatever the answer is, I know that my self-control has gone downhill after Marking Orion. He's the catalyst.

I take a handful of the herbs and roll them into a ball. It's a moist mix, like horse feed that has been mixed with molasses. Mallory said that I can just eat it a small ball once a day and should feel the effects immediately.

Lifting the ball to my lips, I try to ignore the awful smell that comes from it. Like the strong scent of copper or metal. It's enough to make me gag and make my eyes water.

"Don't!" A small hand smacks away the herbs. I watch as the bag and the herbs fell into the water, quickly sinking and bubbling.

I take a moment to look up at Eamonn, feeling my entire body envelope in rage. When I do, he backs away, "What did you just do?"

"You can't eat them," He stumbles over his word, "I...I dreamt of what she said to you—your Healer. She's poisoning your Guide."

"What—No, Mallory wouldn't do that."

"It's chamomile soaked in silver," He murmurs quietly, "It's something used to put Wolves in a deep sleep."

"How do you know this?" I stand up, looking between him and the herbs. The water where they have sunk now sparkled with the faintest color of silver.

"My Mom told me."

I stare at him in a stunned silence, "You can see your mother, Eamonn?"

"Only in my dreams," He grabs my hand, "And when I'm with you...I see her with Da. I see you too sometimes..."

I kneel down in front of him. He doesn't look at me initially, "Eamonn...are you afraid of me?"

He shakes his head. He grabs my face in his small hands and studies my forehead for a while. I try to not laugh, but he's very intensely staring at me. "Da says I shouldn't go near you. You hit Mac."

"I did...sorry."

He giggles, "Why're you apologizing to me?"

I laugh, "I'll be sure to—"

"I'm not scared of you—you're like my mom."

"Does that mean what I think it does?" I'm suddenly aware that Eamonn has a far more serious, deeper side to him. Past his shy, adventurous exterior is a boy with a vast knowledge of the world that he shouldn't know. It's almost eerie, like he can read my thoughts if our eyes meet for too long.

"You're the kind of lycanthrope that needs to go to The Order," He murmurs, "My Ma says that your body is far more capable of handling the Wolf in you than she ever was."

"Eamonn, I don't understand. How long have you been able to see and talk to her—"

"Your Wolf is waking up," He says, though his eyes are glazed over like he's half-asleep, "She's growing impatient. You're not ready for her like this—Ma told me that the other day was proof of that."

"Are you saying...that it was my Wolf the other day at the fights?" He only nods. I'm in a state of shock. I haven't thought that I could shift—it's why I immediately came to the conclusion that my bond with Orion is affecting me. But apparently not, which is somewhat of a relief.

"My Wolf did the same," He gives me a toothy smile and he's back to being the adorable kid I met the other day, "But I don't have that issue anymore 'cause I'm fully shifted now. Because I'm an Alpha."

He honestly is way too cute for his own good.

I stand up again and look out at the setting sun, "How did you get here, Eamonn?"

"I walked."

"Come on then," I begin to usher him to the trail and back to my house, "Your dad must be going nuts."

"Probably."

I have him sit on the porch stairs while I grab a coat for him and myself, "Mom! Dad! I'm going out for a bit!"

"I'll put your dinner in the fridge!"

I shut the door, juggling my keys and slipping on my cardigan. Eamonn smiles as I hand him my green puffy coat, "Put that on. Don't you live in Alaska? I thought you would have come with a complimentary jacket at birth."

"What's complimentary?"

"Never mind," I grin as I help him zip the coat. Unlocking my car, I help him into the back seat, "Where's your dad staying, Eamonn?"

"Go to Siuslaw."

I do, though can't fathom how a boy his age has managed to walk so far. He must have been walking all day!

We pull up to the border, where Eamonn says to me to look for the Gate Nine entrance and then talk to the guard. I'm beginning to realize that Adrian had him memorize a set of directions.

The guard is stern as I pull up to his shed and roll down my window, "I'm looking for Alpha Adrian."

He opens his mouth but Eamonn waves at him from the back, "Jordyn! Hi!"

"Eamonn?" He swears and glares at me. I quickly explain what had happened, which he seems satisfied with. Pointing down the road, he says "Keep going for another mile. Turn right at the third marker. They're yellow."

"O-Okay," I begin driving off slowly, trying to find the first marker. As I glance up in the rearview mirror, I see that the guard speaking into his radio, "Eamonn, how angry is your dad with me?"

"Quite."

"Great."

By some miracle, I find the third marker and turn into a hidden driveway. It goes on forever. Just as I begin to very seriously doubt whether it goes anywhere or if I have taken the wrong turn—which I guess is the point—I spot a car.

"That's ours," Eamonn begins to unclick his belt, but I reach back and stop him.

"Eamonn, you really need to start thinking about your personal well-being," I mutter under my breath.

I pull up beside the house and switch off the car. It's started to rain. Now that the car engine of my Jeep isn't chugging along, I can only hear the pelting of the rain against my metal roof. Eamonn and I sit there quietly in the dimness of the cabin's outdoor lights.

"Okay...okay," I take a deep breath and climb out of the car. Eamonn waits patiently for me to come unbuckle him and help him out of the tall car, "Here we go, bud."

He sticks his arms out and I pick him up. He wraps his little arms around my neck, and I bend down to set him on his feet.

The sounds of footsteps catch my attention. I look over my shoulder and duck to narrowly dodge Mac's fist. Eamonn yells out as his Beta grabs my hood and slams me against the side of my car.

"Why do you have the Alpha's son?" He snarls, spit flying in my face. I can't breathe. His hands are tight against my throat, "You're his hoor, aren't you? That fucker Leon—you're just like him—"

"I'm not—" I splutter but he doesn't let go. I thrash and scratch at his hands, but he only tightens his hold. His pupils are pinpricks in his glowing eyes as he stares at my hands—like he's terrified of what I might do. "Please—"

"You're a monster—you aren't a fucking Wolf," His rage grips me just as fiercely as his hands, "You're his creation—that black disease from your veins is proof enough—"

Eamonn tugs on his jacket, "Mac! Let her go!"

"Go inside, little lad," He picks me off the ground. I let out a strangled cry and begin to fight him again. This is it. This is where I'm going to die—

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.2K 1.9K 17
All rights reserved, please do not copy my book. *** Ten, Nine, Eight...Forever His Mate. ************************* Hiding From HIM Book One of my...
1.1M 9.3K 10
Hayley's on the run from a stalker who's determined to make her pay. When she saves the life of the local Alpha, exposing her new location in the pro...
697 32 13
Lanie Bythesea has attended St. Ailbe Catholic High for the past two years. Now in her Junior year, Lanie is excited to almost be done with high scho...
1M 25.9K 36
[EDITING] ----------------------------- Nicole Summers thought she was living the ordinary high school life. In her senior year, she...