Heathen

By softsloth

"You don't understand, little female. I am like a God to these people." Elodie is lost. Literally. After a ma... More

before
|01|
|02|
|03|
|04|
|05|
|06|
|07|
|08|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
after
Book 5 - His Redemption

|09|

57.3K 2.6K 330
By softsloth

Barre

     I stare at the food in my hands, wieghing it in each palm. I decide it would be better to be safe, and I fold the rest of the food into a cloth wrap and push it into my bag.

     The past day I have done hardly anything but pack for the long journey to the palace. Elodie is completely oblivious to my need to prepare for our trek. She watches me come and go with clothing and first aid supplies, cute red eyebrows raised in curiosity. Intelligent eyes following my every move.

      She probably is wondering what took me so long to bring her back to her rightful place. I have to admit that she acts as if she's content here. Despite my little den and lack of pampering, I have done everything I can to make her comfortable.

      Elodie has shown no sign of being upset by my home or food. In fact, she often smiles at me like there's no place she'd rather be. I know that it's impossible. It must be because she's a "human". Or, she is just trying to make me feel better about what I lack.

     I wouldn't be surprised. She is sweeter than any creature I've met. She snuggles up to me like a kit in my nest, I wake up to her petting my hair and running her nails over the back of my neck.

     Most times, this warrants a reaction from my body. I cannot help the excitement that shoots through my veins at the slightest touch from the female. All of it is new. I don't mind it.

     I haven't received affection since my Mama succumbed to the infection that took all the females. I didn't realize what I had been missing.

     As a gladiator, the only interaction with flesh I had was pain, or causing hurt. But now, now I touch her back, my fingertips gentle. I cannot be too careful with Elodie's thin skin and soft body. I cringe to think how easy it would be to inflict an injury on her.

     That's why I can't keep her. I am a rough fighter, a rugged mountain dweller with no knowledge of how to keep a mate. How to make a female happy. How to raise kits.

     A deep, throbbing sorrow erupts in my chest. I run a frustrated hand through my hair, hating the helpless feeling that follows and clings to me.

     Latching the bag, I pat it in approval. I packed everything relatively quickly. I'm happy with what I've accomplished in a short time. Having Elodie here has inhibited me from hunting, or walking my forest. I have a lot of land that I own, and I like to keep it maintained.

     But I can't leave her here. And she seems to have an unusual reaction to the woods. She gets an odd look on her face when she stares out at the trees. It gives me an unsettled feeling. I want to protect her and comfort her in any way that I can, but how can I do that when I don't know what it is that troubles her?

     "Barre." My voice being called alerts me to the little she standing in my kitchen with a smile on her face. As always, time seems to slow to a stop when I spot her.

     "What is it, tiny?" I wonder, grabbing my bag off the counter and walking closer to her.

      The nickname is something that I thought was funny at first, but it stuck. It fits her.

      "waat aryew do-en?" She asks, coming closer to tug on my arm that is likely as long as she is.

     I roll my eyes playfully, putting a hand on top of her head and moving it from side to side. I don't know the words she asked, but I can guess, and I don't have to endure any embarrassment if I get it wrong because she cannot understand me either. It just feels comforting to talk to her.

     "I am packing for our trip. It's time to put you where you belong." The admission dampens my happy mood at seeing Elodie. She notices.

      Her pretty face falls. The brown spots scrunch in between her red eyebrows. I cannot get over her appearance at times. Red hair. It is unheard of in my kind. Maybe all humans have red hair. I don't like the thought of that. Without thinking, I reach over and pinch a wavy lock of her hair in between my fingers. I don't like the thought of the color being generic. Elodie is anything but generic, I'm sure of it.

     "I will miss you, tiny." I sigh, not knowing what to do with all of the emotions bubbling up inside of me. A gladiator doesn't have emotions. No empathy, no sorrow, no love.

      Maybe I am not what I always thought that I was. I have so many thoughts and feelings that I've never experienced before now that she's here. I wonder if they will disappear with her.

      But I don't want her to leave, quite the opposite, even if it is what's best. It feels like she belongs here in my heart, in my den, in my nest. She's become a part of my daily life, and I don't want to let her go.

     I take Elodie's hand in mine, it feels so perfect, like our hands meld together. She trustingly follows after me, watching calmly as I grab my supplies and take her out of the den.

     The sun shines brightly outside. It's rare weather, but I appreciate the warmth it brings.

     I glance down at my human when she tugs on my hand. She's trembling, looking around at the bright green nature around us. I'm not shocked at her reluctance, I knew it would be there. She's afraid of the woods.

       And it's no surprise why. When I found her she was hurt and scared, alone in a tree and waiting for something to end her. The memory of the sight still makes my heart ache.

      "There's no reason to be afraid, tiny. I will protect you here. There is no other on this planet that matches my power." It's not something I point out often, but I'm convinced that the information would comfort her if only she knew.

      But Elodie can't understand me. It's something I have to keep reminding myself. It's just so frustrating that there's such a lack of communication between us.

      It won't matter soon.

      "Salsh!" I call, squeezing the human's little fingers in reassurance. I know how she loves the rasler, and how he takes to her as well.

      It's odd, my pet doesn't like anyone but me, but he almost prefers Elodie to his own master.

     He comes sprinting around the corner, tail wagging as soon as he sees the female. He trots right up to her side and nuzzles her wrist. She pets his ear, scratching behind his horn but keeping a firm grip on me with her other hand.

      I check to make sure that the door to my den is locked, and that everything is as it should be. I pull Elodie off the porch behind me, stepping onto the trail that I know by heart.

      It usually takes me a sun cycle or two to make the journey, but I would guess that Elodie being with me will take longer. She's still limping, her ankle not completely healed just yet,

     We will have to take it slow. I would rather wait until it's better to take her on a long trek, but she's healing much slower than any Rytarian. I don't know how long it will take. And the technology in the palace will help her get better faster.

      Salsh follows at Elodie's side, and Elodie lets me lead her through the dense trees. I made sure that she dressed warm enough for the weather, but she's still shaking.

      She must be shaking because of her fear. The idea troubles me, but knowing that she trusts me enough to follow me is enough to boost my confidence. Elodie makes me feel like I could do anything. I just hope that I won't let her down.

Yay! I'm back! Sorry it took so long. I've been in a drought of inspiration. A block. A brick wall. But, I've got my writing fever back, so more chapters to come soon!!! I love you all!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269K 13K 62
Abandoned and left to die, a human girl must fight to survive on an alien planet filled with monsters that want to kill her. That is until she meets...
1.1M 58.9K 28
"I've been taught that girls have no value, and he's the only one who assures me that I do." Soleil is a girl. A young woman. A female. She couldn't...
6.5M 184K 58
"𝑰'𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒇 𝑰 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉, 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘, 𝒕𝒐�...
241K 9.6K 54
Highest Rank: #1 Alien 6-21-21 WARNING: This contains Xenophile (Alien / Human smut) If you don't find interest then that, this is not the place to b...