Incendiary

By Kay_arl17

Two broken people. Two people who have never been loved, therefore, not knowing how to love. Theo and Nova. ... More

1. Unlovable monster
2. Shirley temples
3. Bad habits and subways
4. Two shitty people
5. Again...
6. Meetings and lunch
7. Forced fate
8. Upside down books and yellow notes
9. Coffee and waffles
10. A heavy box, the stars, and drowning
12. Theo And His Late-Night Love For Books
13. I used to dream of it raining in NYC
14. Questions About Love
15. The rooftop, darling
16. Wrong number calls from my kitchen counter
17. Cigs, sunsets, and cloudy days spent with you
18. Insecurities are rivers run dry
19. Late night subway rides with you
19. Late-night subway rides with you (pt. 2)
20. miles apart
21. Secrets, sleepovers, and Drunk driving
22. Escaping comfort zones
23. Living it or watching it?
24. Roma's birthday party
25. Liar, Liar, pants on fire
26. All the things I want to hate and conveniently long elevator rides

11. The poems under the paintings

36.9K 946 6.4K
By Kay_arl17

Heyy. This chapter is kind of all over the place so if anything confuses you, please don't feel afraid to comment, and I will clear it up!

Comment (I love reading y'alls comments), Vote, and follow me :)

TW: Mentions of abuse, immature alcohol usage, and mature conversations 

__________________________________________

Nova

I slept in today. It's the third day of my week off, and I have gotten too used to staying up late and waking up late.

I don't truly mind, though.

I made the mistake of telling Tony that I had nothing to do over my break, and she invited me to one of her work events.

It's an art exhibition for a modern artist. It's filled with rich people who have no problem spending 8 million dollars casually.

I guess it'll be fun to pretend like I'm one of them, even though I can barely pay for my coffee in the morning.

I tried telling her I didn't want to go, but she said it would do me good to leave the house for once and experience true New York culture.

There was no arguing with her after that.

She told me to wear something fancy but not too fancy- whatever that means. 

She was going to pick me up at around 5:30, and it was 12:30 right now.

I made a bowl of cereal but decided I also wanted fruit so I cut some up.

I sat on my green couch- my eyes half open, and turned on the T.V.

I put on whatever cartoons were already playing, propped my feet on my coffee table, and set my plate of cereal on my stomach.

I don't normally watch T.V and I still don't know how to change the channels on this thing, so I just normally let whatever is playing play. When I do want to watch something, I go to Netflix or youtube, but I just always end up watching it on my computer in my bed. 

I never got to watch any cartoons as a kid.

My dad spent any extra money we had on alcohol, so the only time I got to watch cartoons was when I biked to my neighbor's house every Sunday morning to climb their back fence and watch the cartoons playing on their T.V. since they were old and forgot to turn off their T.V at night.

Now that I'm an adult, I have an obsession with cartoons.

When I finished my cereal, I set the bowl in the sink and stared at the pile of dishes.

Then, I did something rare: I washed my dishes. I let the cartoons play in the background.

Once my dishes were clean, I made a cup of coffee. I suddenly had a new motivation to clean my whole apartment, so I pulled out all of the dust-coated cleaning supplies in my shoe closet.

I started with my bathroom, making sure everything was spotless.

Once I started something, I had to do it perfectly. I had always been like that, which was why I had so many unfinished hobbies. I always stopped something if I wasn't immediately amazing at it.

I continued cleaning until I heard my phone ring.

I picked up my phone and greeted Tony.

"Let me in," she said.

"Huh?" I asked, setting the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"I've been knocking for 5-minutes, Doll," she sighed, "Let me in."

I looked at my record player, which was at the highest volume setting. Grimacing, I said, "Right, sorry." 

I hung up, set down the brush I was using to scrub my kitchen tiles, and ran to the door. I didn't take my gloves off, so it was a struggle to get the door open.

I smiled at her, and she played with the gum in her mouth as she looked me up and down.

Then, she broke out into a laugh. "What happened?"

I narrowed my eyes at her, "I was cleaning."

She gasped, "Who are you, and what did you do to my best friend?"

I rolled my eyes and opened the door wider for her to walk in.

"It smells like lemons in here," she said, taking off her coat.

"That's the cleaner I accidentally spilled into my flower pot," I said, walking back to the kitchen.

"How do you accidentally spill cleaner in your flower pot?"

I shrugged.

She walked around the apartment, inspecting everything, "If you're still in the mood tomorrow, come over and do this to my place."

"Hell no. That place is like a fucking obstacle course," I shuddered.

She stuck out her tongue at me.

Tony came from a wealthy family and used to have somebody who cleaned her apartment every week, but she got cut off from her family's money, so now, she's all on her own.

She plopped onto my couch with a sigh, "Do you think my dad will ever forgive me for buying that boat?"

I laughed, "You sold his golden statue of the dog to buy it."

"I was young and stupid," she defended.

"No. You were drunk and stupid," I corrected.

"That's the same thing," she huffed.

I shook my head with a smile.

She asked me questions about work, and I told her about Theo.

"You know what I noticed?" She asked.

I hummed.

"You stopped calling him Theodore." She turned towards me, folding her arms on the back of my couch and resting her chin on her forearms.

I furrowed my brows.

"You used to call him Theodore, and now you call him Theo."

"Oh." I spoke softly, "Yeah. I suppose."

"Does that mean you're friends again?" She asked with a grin, "Can you ask him for money? I want to buy new furniture for my boat!"

I gave her a long look, blinked, and said, "We aren't friends, Tony."

"Do you think you still care about what happened?" She asks, "Or do you just use it as an excuse, so you don't get hurt by him again?" 

I looked at her for a long time. Sometimes Tony was very good at figuring out your shit before you could even think about it.

In all honesty, I feel like I'm going insane.

Every time I see him- he acts as if nothing happened.

He was the one who was upset that night; He was the one who exploded; Now, he is the one who pretends as if nothing happened.

I don't know what kind of Freaky-Friday shit happened, but I do not like it.

"I think I thought I had closure, but seeing him made me realize that I didn't have any closure. At all," I say.

"Then get closure."

"I'm scared that I won't be able to just stop there," I sigh.

She nods, "I just don't think you'll get anywhere by running away."

I run away from my family, my friends, my relationships- even from my own identity. I don't know if not running is ever a possibility for me.

"Maybe," I breathe.

"Maybe," she smiles.

I finish with the kitchen and tell Tony to pick out something for me to wear.

I took a quick shower and walked into my bedroom.

She was still in my closet.

"Tony, hurry up," I say.

"I'm working, so shut it."

I sighed. Looking at the giant mirror in the corner of my room, I realized I forgot to shave my legs.

Let's hope Tony doesn't pick out anything that requires my legs to show.

"I'm expecting the worst," I yell.

"You ungrateful little shit!"

I laugh.

She finally comes out of my closet with a hanger behind her back.

"What is this? Say yes to the dress?" I ask sarcastically, "Just show me the damn outfit."

She pouts, "You're no fun."

I narrow my eyes at her.

She smiles, hands me the hanger, and shoves me into the closet, "You can't have an opinion until you fully see it!"

I groan.

I put on underwear, the black bra she chose, the black tights, the black turtleneck dress, and the black oversized blazer.

I feel like a doll as I walk to her with my arms out, showing her what I have on. I can't see myself in the mirror, so I watch her face closely.

She looks deep in thought as she circles me, "It's missing something."

She walks over to my jewelry box and chooses a gold necklace with a square pendant and gold hoops.

She puts them on me before walking back into my closet and handing me a little black purse.

Then she smiles and says I can look in the mirror.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find how classy the outfit looks. "See, you just love underestimating my talents."

"You just love underestimating me," I mock in a high-pitched, and she smacks my arm.

My hair is wet, but it looks good, so I leave it like that. I put on my black doc martens.

Tony changed into her outfit, which was: a black shell fold top, a black suit jacket, and black slacks, with classy black heels.

We kind of looked like we were going to a funeral.

I chose some jewelry for her to wear because I felt like she needed it.

She left her red hair down, and we walked out of my apartment. We complemented each other in the elevator- which has become almost like a tradition for us any time we go out.

We get into her car, and I felt lucky to be wearing warmer clothes because the chilly weather was pretty harsh.

We sang along to a few songs on the radio.

"Roma's birthday is coming up," I said.

She nodded, "That bitch is impossible to shop for."

I laughed.

"Do you wanna do dinner like last year?" I asked.

"No, we should do a surprise birthday party!" Tony says.

Roma always celebrates her birthday with her parents in Brooklyn. We usually do something small with her before she leaves.

"Oh, but she's leaving for the whole month, isn't she?" I ask.

"Shit," Tony breathes. "That's okay, though."

I furrow my brows.

"That's the perfect way to actually surprise her!" She continues, "We'll just do it at your place the month after."

"Yeah!" I agree, "She loves Halloween, so we can just mix the two."

Tony and I work out the details until we arrive.

"Alright, you have to go to the 5th floor, and I'll meet you there after I register."

I nod.

We go our separate ways.

I look around at the fancy interior. There's a mixture of gold, silver, and a multitude of colors, surrounding everything.

I find the elevator and wait for it to open.

While I wait, a man steps next to me.

Out of reflex, I look at him, and my breath catches. It's the same man from the elevator at Black corporation.

I quickly turn towards the front again.

His name is... Jordie.

He was the first person who spoke when we went around in a circle.

"Nova Scott, right?" He asks, just as the elevator opens.

We both step in, and I look at him, shocked that he recognized me too.

I snapped out of my daze, gave him a sheepish smile, and nodded.

"Jordie... right?" I ask.

He smiles and nods.

"You were good at the meeting," he says.

"Yeah, Emmerson got the deal," I say.

"So I heard," He grinned.

"Do you like art?" He asks.

I furrow my brows, "What?"

He gives me an odd look, "You're in an art exhibition-?"

"Oh," I laugh, "Yeah, sorry. I'm here with my friend who works at vogue and is doing a piece on the artist selling on the 5th floor."

He gets a gleam in his eyes, "I'm here for that artist too. Do you guys want to stay for the private showing where you can directly speak to the artist?"

My eyes widen. "You can let us do that?"

He nods.

"Let me ask my friend," I say.

I text Tony and ask. She immediately responds, telling me to say yes.

"Did your friend say it was okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, she did," I told him, "Thank you so much!"

He shakes his head, "No problem."

The elevator door finally opens, and we step out together.

I look around at the space. There are canvasses of different sizes hung on the walls. White abstract lights make the room seem very bright.

The white tiles added to the ambiance. When I looked at the artwork, I could tell it was all on purpose.

All of the light showcased the finer details of the artwork.

The art was gorgeous.

"The art is good at depicting emotion," I said to Jordie, who was standing next to me.

Each piece had a golden slate underneath that said what it meant.

One of them said:

Toxic relationships have been the cement of my life. Sometimes I like to wonder if I'm the one driving them to act the way they do. Other times I wonder if I just attract them.

                                                                                             - I.B.

"What does I.B. stand for?" I asked Jordie.

"Those are the initials of the artist," He answered.

I nodded and moved to the next one.

"Not all of the quotes and poems are from the artist," He says, "Some are from family members or friends who inspired the paintings."

I nod, continuing to look at the painting. It's a painting of a girl on the moon.

I instantly fall in love with the painting.

A person carrying a tray of champagne walks up to us. I smile at the waiter as I take a flute and bring it to my lips as Jordie and I continue walking.

"So, how long have you been working at Black corporations?" I ask.

"Since I graduated college," He answers.

My eyes widen, "Wow."

He laughs, "It's a good job. and I like what I do."

"That's always good," I nod.

"Do you like what you do?" He asks.

"I do. Yeah," I smile.

We continue walking, occasionally pausing at paintings.

Tony approaches me with a smile before her gaze turned towards the man next to me. She has a suggestive smirk on her lips and I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes.

"Hey, babe," she greets me, "Who's your friend?" She eyes Jordie.

"Tony. This is Jordie." I say, "We met at the meeting I went to a few weeks ago."

She sticks out her hand for him to shake.

"Jordie. This is Tony. She's the friend who works at Vogue," I tell him.

He takes her hand in his and shakes it. "Pleasure to meet you."

She just nods and says, "I know."

His grin widens at her ego.

She takes my flute of half-drunken champagne from my hands and downs the whole thing in one gulp.

She makes a face and says, "I hate that, ugh!"

Jordie looks completely amused by the crazy red-head in front of him.

When a waiter walks by us, Tony takes two flutes and downs both of them- making a face again.

"Whoever pays for the alcohol at these things needs to get their money back."

Jordie bites the inside of his cheek, making eye contact with me. I'm already trying hard to hold back my laugh, so I just shrug.

She grasps Jordie's hand in hers and says, "Take me to the bathroom, this place is like a damn maze, and I can't fucking find anything." 

"Yes ma'am," he nods.

"Make sure she doesn't pass out in the bathroom," I say.

"Is that a genuine possibility?" he asks.

I smile at him.

I watch as he pulls her away from arguing with the waiter about how bad the champagne is.

Turning away, I walk around some more.

I got another flute of champagne and slowly sipped. I liked reading the poems and quotes under each painting.

I'm deeply focused on a painting about music and its association with emotion.

When the door opens causing the entire room to fall silent.

Out of curiosity, I look at where everyone else is looking.

At the door stands Theo in all his glory, with a girl on his arm.

I stare at the girl.

She whispers something into his ear- making him smile.

She has long platinum hair, and a model-worthy face, and she's wearing a black dress that shows off all of her gorgeous curves.

Then, I turn to look at him.

He's wearing a flowy white shirt, with the top buttons undone and black slacks held up by a simple belt. His shoes were black dress shoes.

He had his arm around her waist.

I felt bland in the same room as her.

I looked at him again, and his eyes landed on me. My breath caught, and I couldn't muster the strength to look away.

Why is he even here?

Did Jordie invite him?

Why does this keep happening?

He doesn't look away. He looks at what I'm wearing. I want to hide because compared to the girl on his arm, I feel like nothing.

I stand taller and try to act like I wished I didn't have to see him. Fake it 'til you make it, right?

Why do I even care?

His eyes meet mine again, and I finally turn back towards the painting I was looking at.

I down the champagne in my hand and go search for a waiter.

When I find one, I take three from his tray, chug them all, and take three more.

I don't like drinking. But, alcohol makes it easier to see him. Plus, the alcohol here is like juice. I highly doubt I'll actually get drunk from this. 

I smile at the waiter, who looks immensely concerned. I fumble in my purse to tip him and end up handing him a 50 dollar bill and a pack of gum.

I wish I hadn't given him the gum, though. It was my favorite flavor.

I walked back to the painting with The Girl On The Moon. I saw that it was listed for 6 million dollars and that someone had already bought it.

That made me sad. I didn't want the painting going into the hands of someone who didn't deserve it.

I started to zone out as I stared at it. This always happened when I got drunk.

Theo

I hate that I see her everywhere. I've started to expect it now.

She disappeared after I made eye contact with her. I wish she didn't feel the need to run away every time she sees me.

I left Allie and walked to where the gallery started.

They were all Ivy's artwork.

I had already bought one.

Then, I saw her. She was staring at the painting that had gotten the most bids.

I stepped next to her, getting a waft of her vanilla scent mixed with the smell of the champagne she had been drinking.

"It's a good one," I say, referring to the painting.

She closes her eyes.

"Yeah, I like it," she sounds like she's trying to polite.

I watch her closely before feeling a smile tug at my lips, "Since when do you go to art shows."

She turns to face me, "Must've happened since we stopped talking."

I nod, she walks past me, and I feel all the weight of change. I don't know why it was so easy for me to assume she would still be the same. It's been years and I'm still not at a point where I can look at her and walk away. But I did. I walked away and i'm facing the consequences. 

Nova

Jordie approaches me, and his face has a concerned look.

"Is Tony okay?" I ask.

He nods, "Yeah, I got her to drink some water."

"That's good," I say.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

I smile and nod.

"Is this a friend thing?" He asks, "Getting drunk on champagne?"

I laughed, "Something like that."

I walk, and he follows. We end up in a corner, watching everyone. Jordie fills me in on everyone, and why they suck.

"How do you know so much about this event?" I ask.

He smiles, "I thought you were smarter than this."

I narrow my eyes at him, "Try me."

"Ivy Black," he says.

I furrow my brows before widening my eyes, "Holy shit!" I'm an idiot. I've stopped thinking straight when all my thoughts turned to him. 

Ivy was the artist who made all of these paintings.

He laughs.

"You know, the last time I saw her, she was 14."

"Yeah, she was 14 when I first met her."

Then, we saw Theo and his blonde girl across the room. I could tell Jordie was watching me closely.

"Who is she?" I ask.

He smiles, "Allie Bradford."

I snort, "Allie- like from The Notebook?"

"Yeah, sure," he laughs.

"Are they dating?" I ask.

He laughs, "Nope."

"What's funny?" I ask.

"I didn't think you would ask," he says.

I shrug. It's a question. It doesn't mean i'm confessing some sort of love for him. I could care less who he shows up to events with, as long as we don't have to talk.

"When's Tony coming back?" I ask, changing the subject.

He shrugged, "The private viewing should be starting soon, and she'll probably be here for that."

Jordie said he had to go do something, I nodded, and just as he left- other people started exiting the room.

I walked over to a table where they kept fancy food. I grabbed one, put it in my mouth, didn't like it, so I grabbed a napkin, and spit it out.

I heard someone approach and turned to face them, maybe warn them about the gross food, but instead I came face to face with Theo, so I turned back around. 

"None of it is good," he said. "They have better food at the subway across the street." He sipped his whiskey, leaning slightly against the table. 

He gets the strong alcohol while the rest of us get weak champagne.

He probably paid for the champagne.

"Where'd you get that," I said, nodding at the glass of amber liquid.

I shrug, "The big kids table."

Theo

She glares, "Shut up."

I smirk, "Make me."

"You're very childish."

"And you're very annoying."

She gasps, "Take that back!"

Her tone is sarcastic and she rolls her eyes and I can't get rid of the grin on my face. 

"Where's Ivy?" She asks.

"Talking to press," I take a sip of my scotch.

I take a second to look at her. She has her hair in its natural state, she's wearing all black clothing, and the chain of her purse is wrapped tightly around her hand- almost like she's waiting to use it as a weapon.

"Nice purse," I say.

She glares at me, "It's real."

I smirk, "Never said it wasn't."

"No, but you probably don't think I could afford it."

I bite back a flinch. I let the rest of the whiskey quickly burn my throat. I'd rather feel the burn of the alcohol instead of being reminded of that night.

I pull out my flask and pour more whiskey into my cup.

She watches me, and just as I start to put the flask away, she holds out her hand expectingly and I hand it to her.

She unscrews the cap and brings it to her pink lips. I watch as she takes quick gulps of the brown liquid. There's a droplet that escapes her mouth and slides down her chin.

I glance at her lips, watch her use her sleeve to wipe it, and her eyes meet mine.

She hands me my flask, mumbles a thank you and turns around not knowing that there's some lady who's not paying attention to the full glass in her hand. She slightly bumps into the woman, causing some of the liquid in the glass to get on her dress. 

The woman doesn't even apologize. 

She starts rubbing the front of her shirt, and I snort- earning a glare from her.

"Come on," I put my hands on her shoulders and lead her to the dressing room.

I knock before walking in.

My mother and sister were getting ready for the press conference in this room.

I found two towels and handed them to her. I watched as she patted the wet spot on her dress dry. I leaned against the door.

"Thanks," she mumbled.

I nodded.

She looked at me for a while- I almost thought she zoned out. Then she said, "I really fucking hate you."

The sincerity in her voice made my stomach turn. "After I helped you and everything," I joked, not wanting to be here for the rest of this conversation.

She threw the towel on the floor and stormed up to me. "I was okay without you," She said, jabbing her finger into my chest.

"I was so-fucking-okay," Her eyes met mine, "Then, you waltz into my life and expect me to be okay with it?"

"Nova-"

"No!" She raised her voice, "Let me talk! I didn't say a single thing that night, so now I get to treat you the way you treated me!"

I meet her eyes and notice how she doesn't look tired. That was her signature look in highschool.

"You're a fucking coward," She spits, "You said I run from myself, but what about you?"

"You have nothing." She jabs her finger into my chest again, "All you have is your daddy's money. You have nothing but that fucking name."

"Nova-" I make my voice louder.

"Some of us know how to work to get what we want. What right do you have to say everything you said and act like nothing happened? Money can't give you the right to be an asshole," she says.

"Okay, I'm sorry," I say.

"That means nothing to me now," she said. "You had the last 5 years to say those two words but you didn't."

I didn't get to say anything because I was interrupted by knocking on the dressing room door.

Allie's voice sounded muffled through the wood, "Theo? We have to take pictures with your family in a bit."

I didn't say anything, listening to the sound of her heels as she walked away. Nova scoffed.

She cleared her throat, picked up her blazer, and started to slide in her arms. "Yeah, go back to your girlfriend, Theodore." She met my eyes, "I bet your daddy picked her out."

My jaw clenched. I wanted to say something just to say something. I hated how weak she made me feel.

Nova

"At least my daddy doesn't choose alcohol over me," he muttered.

My heart dropped, and my eyes prickled with tears.

Before I could even process what happened- my hand made contact with his cheek.

I gasped, quickly pulling my buzzing hand back.

He rolled his tongue against his cheek. His face was to the side from the impact of the slap. He hadn't even flinched. His cheek was bright red- you could see the imprint of my hand.

I held my breath, expecting him to do something back, but he sighed and said, "Done?" 

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my purse to walk out when he said, "I do apologize. I know it's late but I do mean it."

"Great," I muttered, walking out of the door. 

I didn't try to find Tony.

Instead, I just went to the parking lot. I texted Tony letting her know where I was.

I wanted to feel bad but I couldn't. I shouldn't have hit him but it was in the moment and what he said was fucked up. But what I said was fucked up too, i guess. If I see him again, I'll apologize. I'll admit that I was buzzed and feeling too much to think straight. 

I sat on the bench they had outside of the building. I tried to recall what had even happened because my thoughts felt so sporadic.

I drove here with Tony, looked at the art, saw Theo, , spilled champagne on my dress, went into some dressing room to clean it, let the alcohol take over my emotions, started screaming at Theo, he said something about my dad, and I slapped him.

I didn't even realize I was crying until a tear fell onto my lap.

I wasn't even sad. I felt a little guilty, but for the most part, I got everything off my chest.

Someone opened the building door, walked up to, and sat next to me on the bench.

It was Tony.

"What happened?"

I shook my head and rested my head on her shoulder. She wrapped her arm around my waist and lifted me.

"Let's go to my place, yeah?"

I nodded, opening the car door, and sitting down.

She got in the driver's seat.

"Talk to me, Nova," she said.

I sighed, "I slapped him."

My voice was weak.

She didn't say anything.

I put my face in my hands, almost laughing, "He honestly deserved me yelling at him, but no one deserves to get slapped."

She shrugged, "He did. He was out of line. You're right, you shouldn't have done it, but you were both upset."

"Honestly, I think I feel guilty because this is something I said I'd never do. I feel like my father," I was laughing because I didn't know what else to do.

Tony forced my face to look at her, "You are nothing like your father, Nova."

I nodded.

"I never want to hear that sentence leave your mouth," her voice was stern, "You have come too far to look at yourself and see your father."

I loved Tony, but when our beliefs are so strong, we just can't find value in the words of others.

I explained to Tony what had happened, and she diligently listened.

I hated how it had felt good to scream at him.

"Nova, he deserved it," Tony spoke softly. "I would have slapped him too- anyone with a right mind would've slapped him."

I nodded again. "I guess now I owe him an apology."

"Maybe," she shrugged.

"You reacted," she said, "You didn't intend to hurt him. That's what makes you different from your father."

I didn't say anything.

"Do you want me to drop you off at your place or take you to my place?"

"I don't want to be alone," I sighed.

"My place, then."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

We were on Tony's balcony with a bottle of vodka between us.

We were sitting against the cool brick wall, looking out at the busy city below us. Tony's legs were sprawled out in front of her while I had my arms wrapped around my bent knees.

"I mean, he was good and all, but I just didn't like how there was no genuine connection, y'know?" She ranted about the guy she had met at the bar a few weeks ago.

I sighed, "There's never a genuine connection anymore."

She took a swig from the bottle between us, "Exactly!"

"But, does a genuine connection even exist?" I turned towards her, "I'm starting to think it's not real because I've never felt one."

She smiled, "Maybe you don't let yourself get deep enough to feel it."

I rolled my eyes, took the bottle from her hands, "Trust me, I've been deep."

She laughed, "I don't mean sex. You can't make a connection through sex."

"Isn't that the whole point of it, though?" I mumbled, taking a swig, "Having sex to deepen the connection between two people."

She didn't say anything for a bit. Then, "That's just one part of it." she took the bottle, "There have to be other elements."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Like the way you talk to each other, the way they make you feel with the way they look at you, the way you crave them for just their presence, and the way they just become part of your thought process." Her voice was delicate.

"Never had that," I said, taking a big gulp from the bottle.

"It's worth having, though," She looked at me, "It's so fucking worth the thrill, butterflies, and even sometimes, the heartbreak."

"How can a heartbreak be worth it?" I scrunched my nose.

Having your heart broken was like an unexpected rush of cold water in the shower. It ruined everything.

"Because when you fall prey to Cupid's arrow, you cry for your broken heart, but relish in the fact that the person you loved most did it." She tipped her head back.

"That makes no sense," I took a swig.

"One day, Scott."

I raise the bottle to nothing, "Here's to hoping that never happens."

"What? The falling in love or getting your heart broken?" Tony asks.

"Both."

* * * * * * * * * * *

It's an hour later.

The bottle is empty, and we're lying on the cold cement.

"Did you ever want to sleep with him?" Tony slurs.

"No," I sighed. "I saw him as family."

"Did you ever think he was hot?"

"That's not exactly something you miss," I laugh.

"How did you stand him?" She asks, "He seems like such a jerk."

I shrugged, feeling my shoulders move against the cold cement, "I think that's a matter of how well our personalities went together," I said, "We had a balance, in that sense. He's serious, harsh, and presumptuous. I'm not serious, soft, and very wishy-washy."

"Why can't you just forgive him?" she asks quietly.

"Because I don't want to."

"If he apologized, would you?"

I thought about it. "I would."

"Would you be friends with him again?" she sounded sleepy.

"Friends is too generous. Maybe acquaintances," I say, "Not very close, and always at a distance."

"You probably won't interact with him again, though," Tony sat up.

"I think that's for the better."

_____________________________
Tony's outfit:

Nova's outfit:

How do we feel?

Any criticism?

This chapter is not edited because I have to stop myself from editing so that I don't rewrite the entire chapter 5 times... it's happened before.

What songs remind you of this book or the characters?

We are at 2k reads!!! That's very exciting. I love that this book is growing.

I wanted to say thank you for all of the support when I said I had gone through a break-up. It made me feel better to read all of your comments :)

I am doing much better. I promise I am not one to cry over boys- let alone get broken up by one, haha. I just always choose the wrong people.

I love you all so much! If you ever need someone, I'm here. <33

- Kay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 596 67
I put on a show only for him in front of hundreds of people. I bring one hand up to my hair flicking them to the other side, trailing that hand down...
632 13 17
*COMPLETED* "you know, you kind of have a bad reputation around here." I stated with my arms crossed. He wore a sexy smirk and took a step forward, a...
One Plus One By Lady C

General Fiction

347K 12.3K 68
Everything seems perfect when Ebony meets Chresanto - but is falling in love around secrets even possible? ...
4.3M 57.7K 11
Zaden Voss, extremely hot, somewhat smart, even funny in a way. Ever girl's perfect guy. But not for Nova, an average girl with bad anxiety problems...