The Other Side Of The Lens

By kjocelyn81

"That was weird, but I can't stop my heart beating ten times faster than it should be. Laying down on the bed... More

The Other Side Of The Lens
Prologue
01. The Infamous Trio
02. Hall Passes On The First Day
03. Alison And Alejandro Sitting In A Tree
04. Officially Meeting Mateo
05. Unknown Number
06. Let's Hangout This Weekend
07. He's Outside
08. Good Luck
09. Conversations At The Diner
10. A Thousand Thoughts
11. Brotherly Love
12. Roller Coaster Of Emotions
13. Unexpected Visits
14. Stay
15. I Need You
16. Sweetheart
17. Butterflies
18. Alone
19. I Missed You
20. Apologies
21. My Person
22. Officially Official
23. Meeting The Parents
24. Thanksgiving With The Hernandez's
26. Spend The Night?
27. Jealousy
28. Time To Talk
29. Photoshoot
30. The "L" Word
31. Advice
32. Gifts Of Love
33. Reuben's Car
34. New Year, New Argument?
35. Morning Talks
36. Parties And Pillows
37. Marisela
38. Girls Trip...Plus Boys
39. Safe
40. When In New York
41. Can't Wait
42. Always
43. Permission
44. Drunk Mateo, Fun Mateo
45. Lovely Night
46. New Beginnings
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Oh Baby!

25. Catching Up

5.1K 145 24
By kjocelyn81

"Soooo have you and Mateo said the L word?" Alison asks with her eyebrows raised and a smirk on her face. I told her how I finally figured out my actual feelings and that I love him. Which was a bad choice since she keeps bugging me about it.

"No we haven't," I rolled my eyes at her. "And like I've told you before, when the time is right we both will say it. I just have a feeling it's going to happen soon." I say confidently as we walk back to the car. We came to the mall to do some early Christmas shopping since December is right around the corner. I bought Dad some nice long sleeves, and a rose perfume for Mom. She's always using mine so I decided to get one for her. I still have to look for Christopher's and Mateo's presents. I already have an idea of what to get them, I just have to set that aside for another time.

"You wanna go eat at Steph's? We haven't gone in a while," Alison says while we get into my car. "Sure, I don't mind," I agree and turn on the car. Alison is in charge of music as she always does when we're hanging out. She plays "Hey Kids" by Molina, which is a pretty good song.

"So how are you and Ale doing?" I ask her since she hasn't really mentioned him throughout our time together today. "Uhh we're good. The same as always you know." She sighs when she's done talking. That's strange. Usually when I bring him up, she gets excited and starts talking about all the things he tells her. "Well it doesn't seem like you guys are good. What's wrong?"

"No we're good Veronica haha. Sorry if I made it seem like we aren't," she clarifies and I nod my head. I don't say anything back and focus on the road ahead of us. It's quiet for a couple of minutes until Alison breaks the silence. "I know you don't like talking about this and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to...but have you thought about college?" My grip on the steering wheel tightens and my breath hitches. I haven't thought about it since Mateo said he would help me through everything. He doesn't bring up anything that will make me overthink and such. But maybe I should start thinking about it.

"Uhh I- I haven't thought about," I shake my head while talking. "But maybe I should you know? This year is about to end and graduation is coming closer and closer. Umm have you thought about it?" I ask her hoping she notices the nervousness in my voice.

"Yeah I have thought about it, I'm applying at three different schools but I'm thinking about a few others." She confirms and I mutter a small 'oh really?'

"I didn't mean to bring it out of nowhere Vero, I just want to make sure you have a plan."

"No it's fine Ali, I know you didn't mean anything bad. Now that you brought it up I might actually start searching for some schools, I'll ask Mateo to help." I respond.

"If you need help with anything just call me. You know I always answer you." She says while nudging me lightly since I'm driving.

"Yeah of course. I won't hesitate to call." I smile and glance at her quickly before averting my eyes back onto the road.

The next few minutes were spent listening to music and singing along to a few songs. Eventually, we get to Steph's diner and hurry to get off the car once it's parked. I open the door of the diner and let Alison go in before me, she mutters a quick thank you and I follow her inside.

As always, we make our ways towards the same booth we have been sitting at since the beginning of our friendship. There are so many memories that have happened here between Alison and I. Like the time Alison and I ordered most of the things on the menu and were determined to finish it all. Turns out we couldn't and we spent a good hour in the restroom after. Or the time we stayed up trying to finish a project last minute. There were a lot of coffee cups around us by the time we finished.

I know the schools Alison wants to go to are out of town. That's great for her but I don't know about me. I can't picture myself going somewhere else. Yes I know there's possible options that allow me to stay here at home but I don't even know what I want to study. There's nothing that has caught my attention.

A voice breaks me out of my thoughts. "Well look who it is. My favorite girls," Valencia says glancing between Alison and I. Since we haven't been coming as much as we used to, we don't really see Valencia anymore.

"Hey Valencia," Alison says.

"Where have you two been? You guys would always come in at least once a week and now you barely come in," she says as she takes a seat next to Alison. "Mmm there is only one reason why you haven't been coming... you girls have boyfriends now right?" She questions while raising an eyebrow. Alison and I look at each other and squint our eyes. We then turn to look at Valencia with the same facial expression. She stares back at us in confusion and Alison and I start laughing.

"Yes we do have boyfriends now," Alison says once we calm down. I nod my head to confirm that it's true. "I KNEW IT!" Valencia exclaims. "There is no other reason why y'all would stop coming so often. Soooo who are the lucky guys?" She wiggles her brows at us and we proceed to tell her about Mateo and Alejandro.

~

"Awww well both of them sound super respectful which is good. You both deserve people who will treat you with the proper respect you both deserve." She smiles and takes a sip of her sprite she brought out for us a couple minutes ago. "And I've met the boys once but it was a while back. They honestly seem nice, not like the other high school boys that come in and are hella loud."

"Oh yeah no they aren't like that at all. You should see how Mateo is with Veronica, he is a whole sweetheart around her." Alison says and Valencia smirks. They both turn to face me and my cheeks heat up. "Oh yeah definitely, that one time they came he was so polite and I could see him smiling whenever she would talk."

"Okay but why are we focusing on me," I say while looking between the two girls in front of me. "Why can't we talk about how Alison is finally dating the guy she's been obsessed with."

"Hey I was not obsessed I just," she nods her head trying to come up with what to say next. "I just admired him from a distance whenever he would walk by me."

"Mhm sure Ali whatever you say," I comment and take a sip of my sprite.

"Well the important thing is that you both found people who is right for you. I have a feeling these boys will stay," she rests her head in her hand and sighs. "And just because you both have someone, it doesn't mean stop coming to visit me." We nod at her comment and continue talking about other things that have happened recently.

I don't think it'll be easy for me to leave this.

~

After staying at the diner for a couple more hours, Alison and I leave. I had to drop off Alison at her house since she had to help her Mom with something. If that wasn't the case she would've spent the night with me.

I'm sitting in the living room watching TV. I should finish reading my book but that can wait till later.

"Veronica, are you sure you don't want to go with us? It'll be fun." Mom says as she puts on her necklace. They had to attend another banquet but this one is an hour away so they're staying at a hotel and coming back tomorrow. I don't want to stay at a hotel and I also don't want to attend one of those boring banquets. It's always the same. People dressed up nice, flavorless food, awards being passed out, and just meeting some other doctors. I'd rather stay home than go waste my time there.

"No I'm okay Mom, just be careful and text me when you get there. Also when you get to the hotel, I don't want to worry about you and Dad."

She walks up to me and hugs me. "If you need anything just call." Mom says and I mutter an okay.

"Okay are you ready to go Sarai?" Dad says as he comes into the living room wearing a tux.

"Yes, I was just telling Veronica if she was sure she wanted to stay here." Mom kisses my cheek and walks towards Dad who is holding her purse now. She grabs it and walks towards the door with Dad following behind.

"Entonces mija, we'll see you tomorrow morning. We love you." Dad says and I nod my head. He gestures for me to come towards him and I comply. He gives me a hug and I hug back. When he releases he bends down and kisses my cheek.

"I love you too. Now go before you're late." I chuckle.

They laugh and walk out the door. I lock the door behind them and make my way back towards the couch and decide to watch a movie. Looking through the movies, I see "Twilight" and click on it. It's been a few years since I watched it so it's time to retouch on the concept of it.

~

Half way through the movie I get a message.

Mateo <3: Hey V, what are you doing?

I smile at the message. He always checks up on me whenever we don't hang out. I type out a quick response to send back.

Hey Mateo, I'm not really doing anything. Just watching a movie.

*beep*

Mateo <3: Same here. I was watching a show but I finished it already.

An idea pops into my head and without thinking I type it right away.

Come over, we didn't hang out the past few days and I'm not doing anything so.

*beep*

Mateo <3: What about your parents? They're fine with it?

They aren't here. Just come on it's okay and even if they do find out nothing will happen. Christopher isn't here either, he's out with some friends.

*beep*

Mateo <3: Okay well I'll be there in 10. See you soon.

I put my phone down and push play on the movie.

Well at least I won't be alone tonight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3.2K 78
My lips part slightly, as I watch her move her body to the rhythm. She runs her hands through her hair as she moves her body sensually slow with her...
8.3K 141 34
Bayleigh Tate Thought she had Senior year mapped out to the last detail. Her life couldn't be more perfect if she wanted it to. Perfect popular frien...
36.4K 812 67
I put on a show only for him in front of hundreds of people. I bring one hand up to my hair flicking them to the other side, trailing that hand down...
26.6K 472 57
"Fuck." He whispers into my neck, sending a thrill of excitement through my body. His lips still smothered kisses over my neck and his hands roamed...