Nebulous || Evan Buckley [1]

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine Santiago continues to save lives and navigate her personal life. [911 SEASON 1-2] More

nebulous
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
part two
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
author's note & sequel

chapter ten

8.3K 237 27
By aprilmoonlight16

what goes around comes around

The 118 reported to a dispatch call that early morning to a familiar location that captivated Josephine's eyes as she looked out the window. She sighed out, remembering that call clear as day in which aggravated her. As soon all of them stepped out of the truck with their equipment, Hen spoke up. "We've been here before."

Buck turned to Hen with a perplexed expression, "What?"

Bobby interjected while glancing where the notable tree branch. "Before you joined us, kid."

"I never forgot about this dispatch call." Josephine lowly uttered out, following her captain's gaze to the place where they tried to revive the woman at the scene.

That dispatch call dated back to a year ago when Josephine was new kid at the 118 before Buck came along. It was a rainy day, profoundly a sad day as Josephine carried a lifeless woman to the ground. The woman's husband made the call to 911 after seeing his wife committing suicide using one of the trees in front of their house. Of course, infused a lot of intense feelings but this one struck the most.

As Josephine performed CPR with Hen finding any signal of life, after Chimney rapidly cut off the rope- the woman's husband insisted that he had no explanation to his wife's actions. However, Bobby and the rest of team knew that man was lying to act dumbfounded. Specifically, the bruises marked on his wife's wrists. Also, the husband barely shedding any tear or emotion towards his wife's death at that moment like a robot.

Fast forwarding into a year, the 118 surrounded the husband on the ground bleeding in his chest by a bullet. In the midst of Hen and Chimney enabling their skills to help the man, Josephine was drawn to the half blown tree. Her brow raised at the strength of the tree rather blown up completely to be in half. Then reverting back to the man stating to be shot, it clicked in her head which presumably did in Bobby's.

The second she faced her captain, he already spoke the exact words in her head. "The bullet she fired at."

His remark gained Hen's attention after cutting the middle of the widowed husband's shirt and applying pressure to the massive bleeding. "Did it fly out of tree when he blew it up?" She questioned.

The trio briefly glanced at the tree then back at the widowed husband uttering a noise until passing on. Josephine's lips parted before lifting to meet Hen and Bobby's eyes. "Karma's a bitch." She smacked her lips together. 

Calling in on the man's time of death and zipping into a bag for the coroner's office, the 118 packed their bags to retreat to the firetruck. Josephine started storing the bag inside the slot as she flickered to her phone. Members of her family started infiltrating messages about her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary in which can lend stress. Luckily, she didn't have to worry about the wedding piling on- except the potential game of 21 questions in calling in off.

She swiped the conversation away to skim at the properties her grandparents owned to move in. Even though Athena and Michael didn't mind her staying in their home, she couldn't overstay her welcome.

"Hey, so you were really here last year?" Buck popped up next to the brunette who quickly slid her phone into her pocket.

"Uh yeah, it was an unfortunate call." Josephine simply responded. "But seems like it went into a full circle now. One thing I've learned is to never do harm to others because it'll come back to you." She winked before stalking away to the firetruck doors.

Josephine knocked on May's door in which tore the teenage girl from typing up the last sentence of the page of her assignment. "Am I interrupting?" She sheepishly smiled, leaning in the doorway of the bedroom.

May shook her head, closing her laptop and scooting her chair back to stand up. "No, I just finished my paper. We can hangout." She strolled to her bed as Josephine trailed behind and joined the girl on the bed.

"Oh no, you have that look on your face." Josephine enthused, noting May's slight frown. "Want to talk about it?" She encouraged for the teenage girl to confide in her as a part of her wouldn't want her to suppress anything again to have this belief nobody is there to listen.

"It's about mom and dad." May uttered out, sinking into her pillow before continuing to explain to Josephine. "They keep masking this picture perfect family to everyone when Harry and I know that mom hates dad. I mean, the second when it's just us- mom continues to give dad the cold shoulder.  All of this doesn't seem healthy for anyone, and I don't understand why they keep pushing this idea."

Josephine hugged the pink plush pillow in her arms, releasing a sigh. "They do say kids are very observant and self aware of what occurs in a household." She amused. "As a temporary houseguest, I've noticed it too well. When I was younger, I never understood my mom's capability from grieving over my dad to plastering a smile and reverting back to her daily routine. In addition, ignoring her children...that's a whole different story to entail." She trailed off in reminiscing that rough patch despite her relationship with her mother remains distant.

She proceeded to open May's mind about the possible efforts of her mother's actions. "With parents, they want to make our worlds peaceful or perfect through these transitions. So, we can't assume that your mom hates your dad because if she hated him- I'm sure your dad would be out of sight in this house. She's likely struggling with the idea, that she can no longer be with someone she vowed to love for the rest of her life. It's out of her control and is trying to accept that. And, she probably doesn't want to deal with the questions or pitiful states just yet. Change takes a toll in someone, especially when it comes to something as complex as love." Her eyes lowered to her lap at the last part.

"If that's the case, then why doesn't she tell us that?" May asked.

Josephine hummed out, slinging her arm around the teenage girl. "Because your mom wants you to believe that she is fine, and equipped to keep this family together in some way. Maybe, you and Harry should bring it up then ask her about it. It might assure her that everything will be okay with you two holding her hand along the way. Being honest and all, the family golden rule?" She advised.

"Can I ask you something?" May stared up at the brunette as she received a nod, she went on to ask. "Are you okay with the changes in your life?"

When she questioned Josephine, her phone vibrated in her pocket of an incoming text messages from relatives about her grandparents' 50th anniversary party, once again. She internally groaned before averting away to meet May's curious gaze.

"It's not like I have a choice."

May leaned into Josephine's body. "Good thing you'll have me holding your hand along the way."

"Aren't you a sweetheart, but thank you." Josephine laid her head on top of May's, basking this comforting moment.

Keeping the destruction of her engagement under wraps became difficult than Josephine encountered. In the midst of assisting to organize one of the biggest family events where relatives are flying in for the occasion. Evidentially, Josephine's tías would bring up about the wedding in which she couldn't escape. As much she loves her family like any other person, they can be a lot. Like her mother, her tías try to nitpick every little thing such as questioning the practical choice of her career, wedding suggestions, especially the case about children.

Unlike Vanessa's ability to let the criticism flow over her head, well, Vanessa's life seemed ideal enough for her tías to not take a jab at. Frustration fueled inside Josephine from the subtle critiquing comments or their so-called suggestions to pretending to act enamored with Bryan after attending a company event the other night.

His touch felt estranged, his lips brushing against her cheek and closeness infused this aggravation. Yet, Josephine had to plaster a smile and have people believe they were a happy couple for now. Although, those keeping those emotions under lock can override eventually.

A distress Josephine slammed the car door shut after parking her car in the lot at the firehouse before shift. She carried the duffel bag inside crowded with the rest of the 118 for the blood drive in which Chimney set up.

In passing, Chimney spotted the brunette averting from Bobby getting seated. "Hey, Josie care to donate some blood for the drive? With yours and the Cap's blood, we'll overcome the determined goal." He beamed.

Josephine took a glimpse at the chairs then back to Chimney. "Sure, let me get dress first." She began to walk off until he interjected.

"Why don't you just do it now? You're one of the last ones, and can get in the way-" His rambling of suggestions struck a nerve in Josephine.

"I already said yes, Chimney! Can you let me go change first? Geez." She snapped, capturing Bobby, Hen, and Buck's attention. Chimney stood there stunned as she never burst on someone like this. In realization of her hostile response, she sighed in remorse. "Shit. I didn't mean to blow up on you, Chim."

Chimney gripped on his clipboard, shortly nodding. "Uh, it's okay Josie."

She disagreed, raking her fingers through her brown locks. "No, it's been stressful for me. Planning my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary with my relatives who are becoming insufferable between ordering me around like a pack mule- not without making comments about my life has become intolerable. I think I've reached my limit with people making suggestions for me. I'm so sorry, Chim. I'll just get my blood drawn now." She vented to him with the others eavesdropping near by. She stalked over to the open seat next to her captain, dropping her bag on the floor. "Besides, I wouldn't mind relaxing for a bit and see if Cap survives with his blood being drawn." She teased.

Everyone laughed along as Chimney spoke up. "Thanks, Josie. Also, I understand how family can be a lot."

"Don't have to say it twice." Hen agreed, standing besides him.

Buck threw the red stress ball up in his hand then passing to Josephine. "You're going to need this, princess." He sported a cheeky grin.

"Why don't you fetch me a chocolate chip cookie and a juice box, servant." Josephine mused.

Later that day, Josephine and the 118 team responded to a dispatch call at Metro Fitness. Upon their arrival, a frantic young woman outside of the establishment stood there. Learning the woman's name, Carrie as she quickly led them inside once they all exited out of the firetruck. "Okay, so, I came in early to turn in my keys and pick up my paycheck." She explained on the way. "He actually fired me yesterday. It's a whole story. Anyway, I, um smelled something burning." She bit down her nail before walking back in to the horrid scene to show the first responders.

When they all filed inside the room, neither of them had expected a man appearing overcooked in the tanning booth.

"We all kept telling him to get it fixed." Carrie discreetly informed, wincing at the sight of her former boss.

Bobby attempted turning the creaking knob except it wouldn't budge. So, Josephine stepped aside from Hen to pull the plug of the tanning booth to shut it off.

"Oh my god, I didn't think to do that." Carrie said, narrowing at the now unplugged cord to the tanning booth.

Josephine rested a comforting hand on her shoulder, "It's all right. You're in a state of shock like anyone could be in this situation."

Hen crouched next to Chimney in front of the burnt victim. "How long has he been in there?" She asked the former gym employee.

"I don't know. He's the owner. So, sometimes he comes in before we even open, so two hours, maybe three." She stammered out in distress.

Bobby looked down at Chimney, "What do you think Chim? Is he dead?" He inquired as the sight of the victim is undetectable at firsthand of any sign of life.

Chimney continued to press his gloves onto the pulse of the victim, analyzing before a sigh slipped from his mouth. "Worse. I think he's alive."

"Why the hell didn't he just get out?" Buck quipped.

"Might of had a stroke." Chimney presumed.

"He's 32!" Carrie exclaimed.

Bobby maneuvered his gaze to the former gym employee across the room. "What was he on we need to know?"

"I don't know." She responded, becoming more distress.

Josephine confronted Carrie with a genuine look. "32, may have had a stroke. Drugs could be the underline cause, what was he on?" She calmly asked.

The woman deeply exhaled, "Everything, okay? He was stacking."

Both Bobby and Josephine looked at each with a knowing look. "Steroids." They said in unison as it is typical for gym addicts to toy with steroids on occasion.

Within the next second the defibrillator started squealing, causing Chimney and Hen to work in a haste. "He's in V-tach!" Chimney pronounced.

"Starting compressions." Hen announced, placing her hands on the man's chest. However, it became quite a sticky situation as the burnt skin ripped off like goo and onto her gloves.

Meanwhile, Chimney sighed out as he acknowledged there wasn't much left to do to save the man. "No. He's gone." He called in.

This caused Carrie to startle. "Oh, my God."

Buck and Josephine held her back. "Whoa, whoa. Easy."

"It's just too freaky. I mean, after what happened with Mindy. I told him. I said, "Barry, what goes around comes around." She entailed to the 118 team, finding themselves intrigued what this man did to this "Mindy."

Hen glanced up, asking. "Who's Mindy?"

She entertained the 118 team the day she got fired and the reason behind it. Mindy was known to be Barry, the owner of the dog. He left her in the truck in spite of his employee protesting the idea, considering the fact leaving animals in a heated vehicle will led to death. Her boss brushed her off, arguing that Mindy will be fine. Instead of leaving it, she took one of the weights and broke the window for the sake of the dog's life. Resulting in being fired and the possible karma of his actions.

"That was crazy, huh?" Buck commented, watching the coroners roll up the victim into the back of the van. He waited to receive a response from Josephine until trailing his eyes to see her distracted on her phone. "Josie." He nudged, finally gaining her attention.

She jolted, shutting off her phone. "Huh? What?"

"I said it was crazy to see all that happen." He motioned to the coroner's van.

"Yeah, but we've witnessed worse." Josephine shrugged, turning to the sound of Bobby's voice in a phone call.

Buck eyed her, momentarily, and then followed to Bobby on the phone. "I-I don't understand why you can't tell me- okay thanks." He, Josephine, Hen, and Chimney surrounded their captain with confused expressions.

Once he dismissed the call, Josephine called for his attention. "What's up, Cap?"

"That was Cedars." He answered.

Buck furrowed his eyebrows, "Is someone sick?"

"The blood I donated..." Bobby trailed off, continuing to explain the vague conversation. "They sent it to a lab and had it tested, so..."

"Well, it's the first time you donated, they have to do that before they release it to the blood supply." Chimney declared a reasonable explanation.

Bobby blurted out, "They found something in it."

All of them held even more confusing expression as Hen spoke up. "What do you mean, "found something"?"

"They wouldn't tell me over the phone. They'd rather do it in person."

Josephine grabbed a snack and water from the fridge in the kitchen of the firehouse after that dispatch call. She strolled into the lounge space to see Buck at the couch looking through her phone. "What the hell, do you think you're doing?" Her voice booming his ears caused him to startle in his seat a bit.

She charged over to snatch her phone from his grasp. "I asked you a question. What are you doing snooping through my phone, Evan?" She said in an infuriated tone, folding her arms against her chest.

"Well, I have a question for you." Buck sighed then stared up, clasping his hands on his lap. "Why are you looking at apartment listings? You said everything with Bryan is fine. Did something happen?"

"No, Bryan and I are fine. We are looking for other places to call it ours." Josephine gritted her teeth.

Buck kissed his teeth, standing up on his feet. "Now, that's a damn lie."

"You go ahead and think what you want to think, but that doesn't give you any right to invade my privacy." She sternly declared to him. "Yes, I confided you with my issues in my relationship as a friend. I didn't ask you for anything else. Also, you're not my boyfriend. And, you don't need to hover me because I can take care of myself." She stepped up with a dark glare. "So, back the hell up."

Josephine spared a disgusted expression more so, betrayal before storming off to the bunks for a breather.

Josephine shelved her exasperating feelings towards Buck during this next dispatch call at Barnsdale zoo. The tiger at the zoo has breached the outskirts of its habitat now roaming through the park. Even the tiger's trainer attempted to wrangle the animal, although ended up with a bloody injury on his arm. Not only dealing with a loose tiger, a male civilian was stuck in the east side of the park. That male civilian turned out to be Sean Coopertino, a dentist from Riverside known for murdering Ellie the Lion controversy. The irony of this ending is Sean Coopertino's ignorance towards the wildlife came into a full circle of the apparent karma.

Returning to the firehouse, Josephine decided to exchange into her workout clothes to unleash the profound rage internally fueling. Working out had been one of the many things to clear her head- creating this void of the issues that have compiled in her life. Yet, this would be the beginning of another rough patch before she knew it.

As she sat up from finishing a set on the bench press, her phone rang of an incoming call. She chugged her water before answering the call. "Hello?" She panted out.

"Uh, is this a good time or-"

Josephine giggled out, "I just finished a set on the bench press that's why I sound tired out. Don't be so dirty minded, Carlos. We aren't kids anymore." She listened to the loose chuckle on the other line. "What's up?"

"I wanted to check in on you. Also, let you know that your favorite cousin has bought his ticket to fly in for abuelo and abuela's party." He jokingly said with a slight smirk.

"Mmm...favorite cousin?" She paused on purpose to hear him scoff on the line. "Kidding, thank god you're going to be there. I'm on edge already with the planning committee." She groaned out.

"Luck for you, I'll be the next target for the family to nitpick at my life." Carlos assured the repetitive cycle that occurs at every family occasion.

A sigh slipped from her lips, "At least we'll have each other then. How's everything back in Texas? With family and work? Do you have a boyfriend yet?" She asked out of curiosity, and missing her cousin living miles away.

Growing up, Carlos and Josephine had been two peas in a pod. More so, being so close in age made them easily fitting together. Whenever Carlos is around Josephine, she's able to bring out his enthralling personality as being an introvert. Despite living in two different states, they always remained in contact through sending letters then calls and emails. Their parents found it adorable how the two would wait for the postman outside to receive their letters. Carlos grew up as an only child, so, confiding in Josephine felt like he had a sibling with him. On one occasion, Josephine was the first who he came out to at age 17. With her moral support and encouragement pushed Carlos to rip off the band aid and come out to his parents, regardless of their reactions.

"Everything is well back here between work and my parents as usual. As for the boyfriend department, nothing." He answered. "Good thing I didn't confirm a potential plus one for the wedding. How's everything in the fascinating life of Josie? Wedding coming together?" He teased his cousin.

At the mention of the wedding, Josephine only frowned at the current situation. "Nothing too fascinating other than saving lives, of course. Uh, wedding is coming together fine." She forced out an enthusiastic tone.

The two cousins caught up for a few minutes until Josephine hung up to resume her workout. She blasted music in her wireless earphones before gliding her hands into a pair of gloves for the punching bag. She went in position, coolly breathing out before throwing punches at a rapid pace.

In the middle of the workout, Buck took long strides with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He stood by the pillar as he watched Josephine going at it at the punching bag. From the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of his figure yet ignored him to throw harsher punches to the bag.

"Josie," He faintly called out.

Buck continued to put up a fight against Josephine's reluctance. He exhausted a sigh, "Come on, Josie. Will you listen to me?" He pleaded before taking her phone and pausing the music.

Finally, she stopped and laid eyes on him. She managed to remove one of the gloves to pull out the earphones. "Sure, but I'm really in the groove in this workout. So go ahead and speak, Evan." She wrapped her glove and resumed to taking jabs at the punching bag.

He grew a bit irritable at her stubbornness, though took up the chance. "I wanted to say that you have every right to be upset with me. I'm sorry for snooping through your phone or try to force anything out of you." Josephine raised her brow in amusement as he continued. "You're right, I'm not your boyfriend and you don't need anyone to be your savior. I mean, you take on one of the most dangerous jobs and pretty much kick ass at it." He stifled a chuckle. "But, I care about you, Josie. It might be only a couple months since I've arrived at the 118 yet we've worked 24 hours shifts together. We're family. You don't need to save face to me or any of us. We've already established the support we have for each other through the good and bad times."

Josephine swallowed thickly, trying to not stop punching at his words to give a reaction. Buck breathed out, "And, that's all I have to say. So, if you claim that everything is good with you and Bryan then I'm happy for you. Just keep in mind that if there's a need to confide in someone, I'll be waiting."

-Unedited. To answer, yes, a little 911 crossover happened if you caught on. Had this idea pop up to add in Carlos as Josie's cousin early on, hence that author's note about his background in lonestar. Little bit of angst between Buck and Josie for fun hahaha. There's only a few more chapters of season one left. You have no idea how long I've been waiting to start s2 storyline soon. The ideas that are waiting to be used since the beginning. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 6/2/21

PUBLISHED: 6/6/21

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.4K 2.6K 20
In which, Sasha Carter learns a new understanding of life when it revolves around more people she has grown to love. [911 SEASON 4]
97.2K 2.2K 13
"π‘¦π‘œπ‘’'π‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘”π‘›π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘?" "π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘‘π‘‘π‘–π‘›π‘” π‘šπ‘’? β„Žπ‘œπ‘€ 𝑑𝑖𝑑 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘›π‘œπ‘‘ π‘›π‘œπ‘‘π‘–π‘π‘’?" "𝑖'π‘š π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑑𝑒! 𝑀𝑒 𝑑𝑒...
18.7K 791 16
jane reynolds was not having a good year. but with an almost comical series of unfortunate events, she befriends a group of first responders. one of...
268K 5.4K 42
Jane Thomas is such a mom, at least according to her co-worker Buck. She's too nice. She's always optimistic and cheerful. That's a hard way to be in...