The Broken Crown

By AmythestWinter

The first time I saw him, my bones turned to water and I knew I would fall at his hands. They called it dest... More

A Thousand Conversations
Secrets and Lies
Power and Control
The Expanse
Unraveling
Fire
Tales of the Past
Destiny
Witchcraft
Between the Wars
Intimacy
Loyality
Séance
Secrets of the Day
Innocence
Undo
Pretty Little Things
Dignity
Stripped
R I V E R
A Storm is Coming
Ruins
Allies or Enemies
A Choice of Fate
Immoral Men
Setting Sun
Battlecry
The Covenant
Tárvotur
The Hand That Feeds
Heavy in Your Arms
Pandora's Box
The Auburn Beauty
Silvercrest Ridge
Stardust
Wanderlust
A Destiny of Darkness
Atonement
All That Glitters
Maintain the Madness
Hymnal
A Good Omen
Shadow of the Past
Sacrifice of Youth

Dissolved

4.1K 225 17
By AmythestWinter

"Penelope's men have pulled past the territory line of Emmitt's pack. While there is still a strong army presence, we cannot expect their men to fight beside us as they need to protect what remains of them." 

"Finley's men will make up for the loss."

"Finley's men make up a good amount of our losses," Yusuf agrees, glancing towards me, "yet we cannot rely heavily on those men. While We have created a positive balance once more in our numbers, we cannot just go and through around different troops. Wars are not just won on the size of the army, but the strength and the strategy as well." 

I agree with Yusuf, pulling the attention back to the map before us as I look around the room to the alphas who await the final decision of the day to be made. They want to go home, for today has been a long day. They are also eager to hear the terms Finley made me agree to for this abundance of men to be granted. "Penelope's forces are centralized in the northern region, a good hundred miles from the stronghold of Keva's troops not on their island," I inform, restating what we gathered here for. "If we attack, we put our men at risk of attack from elves. Elves move swiftly."

"Not if we deal out a quick battle."

"There is no such thing as a quick battle. Think, Alpha Mathis. We fight through the night and then, no matter how bad the causalities on our side, it would take our men time to recuperate. This would all give Keva enough time to send her men flocking our way for a second wave of attacks." 

"Which brings up a second point," Yusuf comments, motioning for me to continue. 

"Yes - thank you Alpha Yusuf. The fact that Alpha Penelope has centered her troops not too far from Keva's men on the continent, it brings up to question if these two sides are in treaty. Could they be on the same side when it comes to the flag of Crimson Lock? To fight against Crimson Lock and take us out?" 

"Penelope is methodical. She was part of this alliance and then broke off. Why?" 

"She was loyal to this cause," Finch pipes up, shaking his head as he refuses to believe Penelope could work with the elves. 

"She hated the way of kings," Mathis comments, turning to Finch. "Maybe she didn't want another person wearing a crown, regardless of their stretch of power."

"Penelope told me she believed in me as a cause to fight for," I whisper, staring ahead to the pieces on the war map, the carved wolf made of cherry wood representing my own pack. "Penelope warned me of elves, of kings, and of many other forces playing within this war. She knew how to manipulate those who placed her in their inner circles - hell, she knew how to manipulate me." 

"And when the game was up? When her cards were out?" 

"Did she really lose the game? Or did she move onto the next one?" River questions, grabbing the attention of those around the table. We all look to the silent observer of the room, sitting at a chair in the corner beside the window as, until now, he has been a fly on the wall. "Penelope has played games all of her life. Would she really have been out-played by someone new to their role of alpha?" 

The pounding of rain drowns out the silence of the room, the dark clouds circling outside as I tap my fingers against the table. "Why would Penelope strike an alliance with elves? What could she gain? We need to think out the different possibilities." 

"Penelope understands she is outnumbered when it comes down to our troops against hers," Mathis makes known the common truth, "somewhere and somehow, Penelope has a force behind her to make this fight even."

"Nothing is as simple as it seems," Yusuf warns, eyes meeting mine as I hold my head high. "Rogues are often an underestimated player and their sides can be swayed. Penelope can have rogues at her feet." 

"How could we find out such information?"

"Hard to get a good estimation," Finch speaks up, leaning forward in his chair as he glances towards a few of the main cities labeled on the maps. "Most rogues reside within the outskirts of human cities so they can still make living wages and also have solidarity in wolfen form." Pushing a few pieces, Finch pushes them out to the main cities by Penelope's forces. "If Penelope has gathered at least a good number of rogues from these argues, both enough to keep the elves away from attacking her and give her confidence-"

"Keva is not concerned about Penelope," River comments, once more controlling the attention of the room. "Keva is not particularly - nor has she ever been - with Penelope. Once called Penelope the 'Wolfen Whore of Attention.' Keva knows how Penelope fights and I believe already has a plan for how to attack Penelope if her troops will be sent there. I believe Keva will sent a small group of her troops to Penelope's territory while the bulk come to us." 

"We cannot just assume the steps Keva will take," I warn, shaking my head. "Why would Keva not just take out Penelope first then if Penelope is so close? It does not matter if Keva knows how Penelope fights I would think." 

I focus on the tapping of the rain against the windows, the wind rustling against the glass as everyone within the room looks to the map, wondering what steps should be taken. We need a clear plan of action. We cannot just make assumptions and wait for the next move. 

"We need to move out and set up camps. We need to obtain rogue forces as well." 

"Rogues are hard-"

"We need rogues to fight with us," I interrupt Alpha Mathis, looking to the alpha who argues. "Rogues who fight with us will be allowed territory in our new kingdom. They will have a reason to fight with us. We will need all the help we can get. Alpha Finley's troops are very helpful, yes, but we need all the help we can get."

"The more we ask help of, the more we will promise things to."

"I understand, Alpha Yusuf, and I am willing to make these sacrifices for a great kingdom." I stand tall, remembering the contract I signed with Alpha Finley. I had expected Alpha Yusuf to read over it and have hundreds of comments and concerns about it, to ask me why I had signed on so many different details. Yet, when Alpha Yusuf read over the document, he had smiled at me and handed me the document with a nod. The more we will promise things to. I know Yusuf is referring to land, for as more packs, groups, etc. fight for us, the more territories will have to be divided which means Alpha Yusuf will not see his pack lands grow as much as he had hoped. Yet what else does that mean for him? 

"Each of you have major cities along your territories. I call upon each of you to have someone from your pack to reach out  to rogues in the area to ask for their help in the fights ahead. I know some may turn a blind eye and offer no help, for many of the packs standing today did not offer their dissolved packs any aid in those times. Tell those rogues that when the New Kingdom is build, their lost packs will be rebuilt with new rules to offer them greater protection than in the kingdoms before," I announce, rising to my feet, watching as the alphas take note. "Make sure this is taken care of right away. While you have pack members taking care of this, we must station our men and push east towards the coast to create a barrier. Keep enough troops at your pack to protect your pack members, but we need as many men as possible at the front line to prepare for an attack from Penelope, rogues, or Keva." My eyes scan those of the men and woman watching me as I speak. "Time is closing in on us and if we do not act quick enough, we too will find our packs dissolved." 

<><><>

"Alpha Finley, glad to see you again," the faint voice of Cedric rings through the front entrance of the house as I brush through my hair and throw on a pair of heeled ankle boots. Rolling my head to the side, I look in the mirror back to Brie as she sits at the edge of my bed with a book in her hand. As I glance back at myself in the mirror, my fingers lightly trace over the deep scar running along the right-side of my face. The bottle of concealer in my hand seems heavy as I place it down, taking in a deep breath as I decide to leave it be for today, clearing my throat as I announce to Brie I am ready for the day. 

Brie had come to me informing me that Alpha Finley was only an hour out from Crimson Lock, a fresh pile of clothes in her hands for me as I had rushed out of bed and got ready for the day. The two of us head for the door, pulling it open to see my parents at the other far end of the hallway reading their books as they glance up to wave at me. Waving back, I hurry to the stairs to spot the familiar crystal blue eyes of Alpha Finley as he is helped out of his jacket by one of the house staff. 

"Alpha Leala, beautiful home you have here," he greets at the foot of my stairs. 

Thanking the alpha and returning the greeting, I hurry down the stairs and shake Finley's hand, leading us into the small sitting room adjacent to the living room. Brie follows the two of us to the doorway, pulling shut the sliding door as we are let alone in the sitting room, not before Alpha Finley is handed a glass of water by one of the house staff. As we take our seats across from one another, those crystal blue eyes seem to leer into me, as if surveying me and taking mental notes. "Sorry I was not here yesterday for the small meeting of alphas. My fiancé has been having some personal issues." 

"No problem," I inform, "we discussed gathering rogues for the war."

"Rightfully so." 

"I saw a good number of your men making camp on Crimson Lock territory the other day. I was happy to see them making themselves home - getting along with my pack members." 

Our friendly chat continues for a brief minute or so before it comes to a sudden halt. "Have you taken care of the little situation with that disgraced lover?"   

"I would not go so far to call River disgraced or a lover," I inform, "but I believe I have made it clear to him that the relationship between us is to remain professional." 

"I doubt it should be easy." 

"Excuse me." 

"Well, with the loss of his pack comes the loss of his control," Finley comments. "He will find the need to excerpt his dominance in some way so you need to make it clear to him that you have no relationship with him." 

"I know what happened to River, Alpha Finley," I inform, "and I was there for him when he cried in my arms. I do not believe he will, in any magnitude, try and force any control onto me or my pack." 

"I am looking out for you, Alpha Leala." Alpha Finley sets his glass down. "I know I come off as harsh or just out-right blatant, but I say this because this war is heating up now. I need you to be on your A-game now." 

I nod, hearing what Alpha Finley has to say, but I do not take it in. I need to keep him at a distance. I cannot trust him like I do Brie or Cedric. "And as for Alpha Finch? Will he keep his mouth shut?" 

"I will speak with Finch when I believe the time is right." 

"Sooner than later, Alpha Leala." Finley tisks, looking out the window to the summer breeze which passes by the trees. "Sooner than later, please, for your own wellbeing. Now, please enlighten me about the current statics of our army." 

<><><>

The heels of my books click against the wooden floor, my fingers twirling the ends of my hair as I stay off from the watching eyes of my pack members and enter into a secluded corner of my house. The silence of the house offers some sort of haven to me, my thoughts becoming hollow as I stare at the small light escaping into the hallway from a narrow window at the end. My mother's study was back here before she was made alpha, my father having built in the bookshelves himself as a side project on top of the house. 

As I turn a curved corner, I stop in my tracks, biting my cheek as I take a step back. "I'm sorry, I did not know you were here." 

The shadow of the hallway casts a darkness across his face as he sits in the worn lilac chair, eyes looking forward to the book in his lap as he grants me no glance. Just as I take another step back, I swear I catch a glimpse of his eye. "I used to believe I had a voice."

"You do here," I reassure, inching forward into the shadow of the small study as I watch River put down his book.

"I thought I had a voice not just in the halls of this house of yours, Leala, but in my own pack or in this damn war and kingdom. It is as if I have no purpose anymore." 

"You-"

"Everyday is exactly the damn same. I wake up from that bed, drag my ass to a cold shower, eat the same meal, and hear you discuss matters about the war I once played a role in."

"You still play a role in it."

"What role? The role of the jester? For all of you alphas to poke fun at? To watch the once great alpha of Eternal Shadows offer advice when he has no pack because he really was never an alpha."

"No one thinks that," I whisper, my eyes gazing into those golden eyes.  River rolls his eyes, looking to the dark wall ahead of him as I take in a deep breath, hesitating as I take a step forward. "Everyone knows you have valuable insight. You were raised to be an alpha."

"Yet I did not see that my own pack was going to rise up against me."

"The very woman who raised you was the woman who betrayed you, River. She knew your weaknesses, she knew how to go over your head...she knew your blind spots."

River glances at me the moment I say my last words, his gaze gentle as his gaze settles upon me. "She knew all my blind spots. She and my father made me think I would be destined for greatness." I bite my lip, watching as the fallen alpha places his head in his hands. "My father told me my entire life I would become king, that I would unite the fallen packs, and I would be the king he never was. What a ton of bullshit that was. What a great king he was that he destroyed the last great dynasty and used dark magic to have a witch bring my own mother back to life." 

"You cannot keep blaming yourself." 

River scowls. "If I was trained to be such a great king, I should have seen this coming and better protected those of my men left behind in the palace walls who are now dead." 

"Keva knew your blind spots. She made sure she would know them. This was all premeditated, perhaps before you were even born." 

River scoffs, pushing himself out of the chair as he faces me. "And what have they said about you then, Alpha Leala? The daughter of Lily and Nixon Maxwell, destined to unite the kingdom rather than divide it. Seems like a lot rides on your shoulders too. Seems like this kingdom keeps getting more broken." 

"War is messy." 

"We have never been in a war. Who are we to say that 'oh, my ally becoming my enemy is just the norm.'"

"You're angry, River," I warn, "try and calm down."

"Why?" River argues. "Am I going to upset you with my words?"

"We are to have a professional relationship, we are allies now." 

"We were rivals back then yet we treated one another like friends with benefits."

"I was half-witted," I growl, taking a step back. "You are not right in the head either. You have lost your pack, yes, but that does not give you the right to insult me. I am the Alpha whose pack you are protected by so, if I were you, I would still think about my actions." 

I turn on my heel, swiftly exiting the conversation as I leave River to his own thoughts. I need time to myself as well. As tensions rise, so will my own internal tensions. I need to destress and I need to find a way to do so now. 

Within a good half hour I find myself being slammed into a firm mat, my body aching as I roll onto my side and push myself back up. "Try that again. It was a good approach, but don't forget about my legs. Think about how I am positioned," Terrance teaches, motioning to the leg he has positioned behind him, the one he has the ability to push off of which he also just knocked me down with. 

Taking in a deep breath, I nod, fixing my hair as I give it another shot. The wind in my hair feels refreshing as I lightly run at my father as if in battle, a small charge at my attacker as we go head to head. The closer we get, the more I remind myself that even if the hit will not hurt today, on a battlefield it will either hurt horribly or kill me - thus I must act like this is real. 

I watch as he takes his first swing, my body dodging it as I push off with my left foot, swinging with my left arm as I keep in mind what my father told me. As I watch him push off his leg to take me out with a swing of his leg, I pull my other leg up, acting quick as I shift my weight and land a hit. 

"Goddess, I am so sorry," I gasp, running up to my father as I notice I actually hit him on the jaw. 

"No, it's okay. You learned and that's good. If you had a dagger on you, that would have been a deadly blow. You are learning." 

I offer my father a quick smile before going back to being worried as Quinn offers him some ice, only for Terrance to accuse her of overreacting before watching her run inside to get some ice. "Have you ever fought an elf? Like, one on one not in wolf form?" I ask, watching as my father grabs a quick drink of water. 

"Just once, but that Beta of yours got to him before I could really do any major damage." 

"Are they really as talented with a blade as...well, as stories, legends, and word goes?" 

"The one I fought used his hands," Terrance replies, recalling the moment as I watch his eyes drift off. "He was trained, more than anyone I had met. Took Cedric and me both to take him down. I would hate to have seen that bastard use a dagger, much less a sword." 

Nodding, our conversation comes to a close as Quinn rushes back with a small icepack. "Again, Leala?" 

"Again." 

<><><>

R I V E R

<><><>

The room felt as if it was on fire, the flames spiraling around him, smoking his clothes as he struggled to escape. The overwhelming heat which overcame River in waves had begun to die down, allowing him to finally catch his breath as he tried to distract himself from those thoughts. The thoughts of losing control over the only thing he had known his entire life: Eternal Shadows. 

Ever since he could remember, he was taught that Eternal Shadows was his, his to rule, control, lead to greatness, and watch prosper as he would hand it off to his own children one day. River's father had played a part in those stories of what River could have been, telling his son stories of what Zion's palace was like, how alphas, nobles, and even kings from across the sea would come to visit. From such a young age, River had hoarded ideas of what his future would be like, the crown he would wear, the woman he would have at his side, and the kingdom he would prevail over. Never was he prepared to be hit with such a turn of events. Never had he expected the very elf who raised him, who taught him the history of the realms, battle tactics, how to lead both an army and a kingdom, and so much more...never did he think the woman he felt resembled a mother would be the one to stab him in the back.

River knew Leala was right the moment those words had left his lips, for Keva had molded River into the very man - the very puppet he was. Keva knew what would set River off. The she-elf knew when River would not be looking, when he would be most alert, and that when Crimson Lock was attacked, that he would go running after the woman with Maxwell blood. 

Sybil and Zion had disappeared once more, dissolved into the world once more to cover their own tracks as they left their own son to fend for himself. That was the life they had accepted and come to know for the past twenty-something odd years, their son accepting the fact that his parents could never truly be there for him. They had been running for years when things went wrong, why would they break habit now? Perhaps it was a sad life to live, especially to the eyes of an outsider, but to Sybil and Zion, it seemed to work for what strange marriage they had. No doubt Zion was beyond enraged by what had come of Eternal Shadows, yet he ran and did not fight. Keva knew he would not fight, for she understood he feared losing Sybil again and for the last time. 

What River had told Leala, it was the truth, for River had come to believe that his purpose in life had been stripped from him. That he had believed in a false purpose all along. For the first time, the feeling of being without a pack to lead, to protect, and to watch grow, River felt as if his life was worth nothing now. Yet he knew he had to fight for something...something being the lives which Keva slaughtered within the walls of Eternal Shadows. Keva massacred the wolf population within Eternal Shadows and either threw their bodies over the walls to the unforgiving sea below, left their bodies to rot outside the palace gates, or hung them as a warning. River knew that would be his new purpose now. 

It no longer mattered to him what his father wanted. He could give a damn what his father thought of his new voyage in life - however long the Moon Goddess would allow it to be. River would fight for those lives which were butchered in his leave, and he hoped - just maybe - he would be able meet Keva on a battlefield. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 546 22
A teenage boy is punished for a crime because he won't explain why? Why did he kill the Beta of his pack. Years later he finds his mate. Can she heal...
37.7K 2.1K 48
"If you follow me you will only find yourself pain." "If that's what it takes then I'll suffer," he took another step to me, his hands finding my sho...
2.2M 68.8K 23
Complete *Book 2 in Beta series *strong sexual content. . . You have been warned* He knew I was his mate. I could hardly breathe. I was humiliated th...
54.6K 1.7K 32
Pack destroyed. Father dead, mother dead, sister dead. Little Brayden is left alone. If it weren't for the teenage Alpha that finds him and takes him...