Open The Door

By Areeba019

We've all been taught not to open the door to strangers ever since we we're kids. Of course, everyone knows t... More

Open The Door ( short story )

63 11 15
By Areeba019

After a tiring day of work, I finally get some time to sleep. It's way too late already. But at least I finished my assignment before the submission date...which is tomorrow. My fault, shouldn't have left it for the last minute. As I lay down on my comfy bed, I began to instantly fall asleep.

Just then, I hear the sound of keys being inserted into a door lock. I flinch and wake up.

I live alone. Who could it be? Maybe it's the man next door and he's mistaken my apartment for his because he's drunk? Makes sense.

The door obviously doesn't open. I can hear him trying to pull the door.

" Why won't it open "

Hearing this voice send shivers down my spine. I quickly get up from the bed and head to the living room. What...is this..? It's not the voice of the man next door or some unknown person.

It's my voice.

" is...anyone in there? " the voice continues as the  ' person ' knocks and pulls the door handle

What's going on? Am I dreaming? Why does that person sound like me? Should I call the police?

Suddenly the knocking gets louder, making my heart stop for a second.

" hey! Whoever is in there open the door! Hurry! " it shouts.

It's a good thing I had installed extra locks since I had heard a lot of apartment break-in stories and was scared

" OPEN UP! PLEASE! OPEN UP! " it yells

I'm literally shivering right now. What should I do!? Should I open the door? Of course not! There's someone out there with my voice trying to get inside my house. I think I'll call the police.

Then I stop and suddenly a thought comes to mind. I walk up to the door and quietly look through the peephole.

..There's someone staring right back at me...

" OPEN THE DOOR NOW!!!"

The shock and fear makes me trip and I fall backwards. I feel like all blood drained from my face. I quickly pick up my phone and start to call the police.

" I'M BEGGING YOU! OPEN THE DOOR! PLEASE I'M SORRY! OPEN U-" the voice comes to an abrupt stop.

As the call connects I get up and look through the peephole. No ones there.

" 911 what's your emergency? " I hear from the phone as it breaks the silence and flinch.

" yes, hello, there's a.." I continue as I open the door and peek outside. There's literally no one. My apartment is on the 6th floor of this apartment complex. I look over the balcony. No ones there. Was I imagining it?

" Hello? " the operator says

" oh! Ummm sorry. I thought someone was trying to get into my house but it seems I was just half asleep. Sorry again"

"I see...well. ok then " and she hangs up.

     ___________________________________

" Really!? That's so freaky! " my friend Sarah exclaims.

"I know right? I was so scared " I say as I take a sip of my ice coffee.

That night I barely slept a wink. I had asked my neighbour if they had heard anything but they were all sleeping and I kinda disturbed their sleep. The man next door was really mad at me since he had to go on a business trip in the morning. Next morning at college I was like a walking zombie. Slept like a baby in the class. After our classes were over me and my friends went to a party we were invited to. We got bored after a while so now we're just at a cafe.

" Jane, you sure your ok? What if that ' thing ' comes back again " says Lorraine. She worries too much

" too bad your intercom was broken. You could have seen who it is " says Agnus as he drinks his tea

" It was just a dream. I'm telling you guys, it wasn't real. I was just sleepwalking "I laugh. Yes, I was creeped out by it but I'm ok now.

"I wonder why the other you sounded scared in that dream," Sarah says munching on a piece of cake.

I check the time and to my horror, it's getting late.

" ok guys, it was fun but since it's getting late I gotta go now. Byee " I say as I exit the cafe.

" STAY SAFE " Lorraine yells from behind.

As I walk on the street, I suddenly get an uneasy feeling. I walk a little faster and go pale as I hear a faint sound of footsteps behind me. I turn around and to my shock, there's no one.

I'm being followed...

I continued walking. Unfortunately for me, the street is empty. I notice just one or two people. My heart beats so fast I feel like it's gonna jump out of my body. As I walk I gradually pick up the pace. If I run, the person will surely catch me. I can feel him getting close. If I reach for my phone he'll know that I've noticed him and will take action. What do I do!?

I could, at last, see the apartment complex a few feet away. Luckily the entrance doors to the lobby are already opened. Quickly, I run towards it. I could hear the person behind me running too. I jump up the stairs, enter the lobby and reach the elevator as fast as I can. Repeatedly pressing the elevator button I glance back. He just entered the lobby.

Thankfully the elevator doors open. I enter hurriedly and start smashing the close button. He had just reached the elevator when it closed on him. Through the frosted glass on the doors, I could see that its a man wearing a black hoodie. I couldn't see his face properly. As the elevator starts to go up he steps back and goes left

He's using the stairs. I fall down on my knees. Shivering vigorously. Why....why is this happening to me!? I just need to get to my apartment and then I'll be safe. I should call the police.

" 911 what's your emergency? "

" HELP ME! THERE'S A PERSON FOLLOWING ME! HE WANTS TO KILL ME! " I yell as tears well up in my eyes. The elevator has reached the 6th floor.

" calm down. Give us your location "

As I tell her about the location, I look around the floor. Thank goodness he's not here yet. But I could hear him running up the stairs. The operator tells me that help is on the way and to get inside my house quickly.

I run towards my door at the end of the hall and quickly take out my keys.

I sigh out of relief as I unlock the door but when I try to open it, i dosn't budge.

" Why won't it open? " I say as I continue to pull the handle. My heart rate increases as the sound of footsteps gets closer. Why won't the door open!?. No...I did unlock it..but it's the other locks. Is there an intruder?

" is...anyone in there? "

The footsteps are getting closer.

" hey! Whoever is in there, open the door! Hurry! " I keep knocking and pulling the handle. Filled with terror and anxiety, I think about going to the neighbours. But....the man next door is away on a business trip. I bring my head close to the door and just as I thought, there really is someone inside my house.

" OPEN UP! PLEASE! OPEN UP! " I yell. Suddenly I can hear the man's footsteps clearly. He's almost there...

I go and start banging on the neighbour's doors. Even press the bell of the intercome. No one answers. Why!? What's going on!? Why is no one answering!?

I go back to my door and peek through the peephole. Someone stares right back at me. As soon as that person steps back in shock and trips down. I see who it is.

It's me...and then I finally come to a realization. Right now...I'm the other me. I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. Not only that I've been even saying the exact same words.

Just then I hear the emergency stair door smash open. Oh no...

" OPEN THE DOOR NOW!!! " I yell. Knowing how this will end I keep banging on the door. The man is now running towards me with a knife in hand.

" I'M BEGGING YOU! OPEN THE DOOR! PLEASE! I'M SORRY! OPEN U-" he digs the knife deep into my stomach. I began to fall down as an excruciating pain runs through my body. He takes out the knife and stabs again. Suddenly I hear police car sirens. Well....good but... it's too late now. The man gets up and runs away understanding the situation.

As I lay there taking my last breaths. I wonder...what would have happened if I had opened the door last night?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 196K 101
✅ "We always long for the forbidden things." 𝐝𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐥 ↯ ⚔︎ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴡᴏ ᴄᴏᴍʙɪɴᴇᴅ ⚔︎ ...
16.7K 408 13
The infamous killers get transferred to a dangerous asylum where only people that are very dangerous for humanity was locked up there, and unfortunat...
9.9M 501K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
142K 20.1K 90
အရိုးစုသရဲပန်းချီ「骷髅幻戏图」kūlóuhuànxìtú ခူးလိုဟွမ့်ရှိထူ စာရေးသူ - 西子绪 ရှီးကျစ်ရွှိ အပိုင်းပေါင်း - ၁၁၄ ပိုင်း + အချပ်ပို ၇ ချပ် ထွက်ရှိခဲ့သည့်နှစ်...