I Hear A Symphony ✔ •Varian X...

By Stark_Oblivion

Complete! I Hear A Symphony ✔- A Varian X Reader Story As the younger sister of Rapunzel, your parents were... More

✿Information✿
✿Playlist✿
✿Prologue✿
✿Chapter 1: Decisions✿
✿Chapter 2: Beyond Corona✿
✿Chapter 3: The Coronation✿
✿Chapter 4: The Wizard?✿
✿Chapter 5: The Alchemist.✿
✿Chapter 6: Great Expositions✿
✿Chapter 7: The Fates' Design✿
✿Chapter 8: Lovely Day✿
✿Chapter 9: The Empyrean Shower✿
✿Chapter 10: Your Highness Rapunzel✿
✿Chapter 11: The Blizzard✿
✿Chapter 13: The Fall✿
✿Chapter 14: The Men✿
✿Chapter 15: A Lie✿
✿Chapter 16: Not The Same Person✿
✿Chapter 17: Locked Away✿
✿Chapter 18: Somebody that I used to know✿
✿Chapter 19: Everything I Wanted✿
✿Chapter 20: There's No Use In Trying✿
✿Chapter 21: Slipping Through My Fingers✿
✿Chapter 22: It's All Forgotten Now✿
✿Chapter 23: Where Is The Justice?✿
✿Chapter 24: Mistakes Have Been Made✿
✿Chapter 25: Reuniting✿
✿Chapter 26: Rescuing Corona✿
✿Chapter 27: The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Sonne✿
✿Chapter 28: Stuck in a Shell✿
✿Chapter 29: Be Very Afraid✿
✿Chapter 30: A Vial of Amber✿
✿Chapter 31: Wither and Decay✿
✿Chapter 32: The Scroll✿
✿Chapter 33: Nothing Left To Lose✿
✿Chapter 34: That Short Lady✿
✿Chapter 35: The Rooster✿
✿Chapter 36: Goodwill Festival✿
✿Chapter 37: Demanitus's Tomb✿
✿Chapter 38: Storming The Castle✿
✿Chapter 39: Death And Life✿
✿Chapter 40: From Me, The Moon✿
✿!Thank You!✿

✿Chapter 12: How do you sleep?✿

3.6K 107 69
By Stark_Oblivion

A day had passed since the blizzard. A whole day that you were unable to check up on Varian. Within that short time span, Rapunzel had been mind-controlled by some art teacher and almost brought back a powerful warlock lord to life. Of course, after finding out about this your father decided to tighten security a bit. When in town and in the castle you were closely watched and there was no way that you would be able to escape to check on Varian. You weren't too worried, you believed that the boy needed some time to himself so he could cool off, he would ask for help when he needed it.

Today was a very important day for your father. Of course, this trade deal with the Griffin of Pittsford would be greatly advantageous for both sides, but if something went wrong it could be detrimental to the welfare of Corona. Nigel believed that having the trade teal would cause Corona to lose more than it gained, while your father assured him that dissolving the trade deal would send the seven kingdoms into war.

You were currently in the throne room with Rapunzel, Eugene, Maximus, Pascal, and Cassandra. Rapunzel was reciting her speech that would hopefully win over the Griffin, "And so, to you, the wise Griffin of Pittsford, I say, let us treat our new friendship like a budding flower. One we will nurture with love, knowing that it will bloom into something beautiful."

Maximus neighed while Pascal clapped his hands. But Cassandra was less than convinced.

"Uh, I don't think you're going to win over the Griffin with a schmaltzy speech about puppies and rainbows." The raven-haired woman said.

Rapunzel let out an offended gasp, "I didn't say anything about puppies!" She paused, "...and the rainbow was a metaphor."

"Rapunzel," You started, "the Griffin is known for being insecure and walking away from deals at the slightest offense. If you tell a speech that... uh-- what's the word... pure, then the Griffin might think you are babying him."

The blonde girl frowned, "Uh, so..." She turned to Cassandra, who was polishing the weapons, "How's your prep work going for running your first security checkpoint?"

Cassandra finished polishing the halberd, "Let's put it this way. There is nothing my station isn't going to be ready for." She then stood up and walked over to a cart full of identical weapons, she swung the weapon and threw it in.

"Haha! Fog machine, baby!" Eugene's voice echoed through the room as he walked in with a large machine. You knew for a fact that he didn't make that, so you were a bit confused about where it came from.

Rapunzel looked at him shocked, "Uh, Eugene, why do you need that?" You turned to Cassandra, she looked peeved.

"You made me the emcee, remember?" He argued, placing one hand on his chest and leaning against the machine. Rapunzel, Cassandra, and You shared a look, "Picture this..." Eugene said, pressing down on an accordion-looking thing a couple of times, "Lights go dim. The fog rolls in." He grabbed a pipe that released a bunch of fog, "And all eyes are on me... as it should be." You and the others coughed as they breathed in the smoke, "Ladies and gentlemen! Let's show the Griffin just how we do things in Corona. It's time to get this party started!" He drew out "started" and held his arms up as the smoke faded, "I'll hold it for that long."

Cassandra stepped over to the two, "No. No way, Eugene! Fog would make it impossible to see clearly enough to do my job." She said, turning to both you and Rapunzel for your opinions. You shrugged not exactly wanting to take sides.

"A fog machine does seem a bit unnecessary." Your sister said.

Eugene put his hands on her shoulders, "Look, Blondie. I love you and I don't want to point fingers, mostly because I just got mine manicured and I don't want to show anyone up. But if you really want to talk about unnecessary, we should probably discuss the gift baskets you made." You turned to the back of the room to see a table full of baskets that had numerous gifts with individual portraits that Rapunzel had painted.

"Seriously, did you really have to paint a portrait for every guest?" Cassandra asked, turning to face the two.

Rapunzel looked insulted and walked over to the raven-haired girl, "Do you really need six guards at your checkpoint?" She asked.

"That actually seems reasonable-" You were cut off by Rapunzel talking again.

"Sorry! Ugh, that was so rude."

Eugene held out his arms, "Ah, that's my girl!" He placed his arms on her shoulders, "You can't even argue without being nice."

"Yeah!" Cassandra spun around, crossing her arms, "Do you always have to be so... you?"

Your eyes widened and your jaw dropped, you stepped forward ready to defend your sister, but you were cut off again by Rapunzel.

"Well, it's better than always being callous!" Rapunzel argued back, as you walked forwards to the group.

Cassandra shook her head, "I'm not callous, I'm practical!"

"Yeah, practical-ly heartless!" Eugene said. You tried to step between the three and stop their fighting, but they just kept arguing.

At one point Cassandra turned, she pointed a finger at you, "And you, you are so happy-go-lucky that you never notice when other people are having problems!"

Your eyes widened, "When did I become a part of this!" You were pushed lightly to the side so you decided to step back, you wanted nothing to do with their argument.

It took a while but soon enough the group of them made quick amends and decided to go to the marketplace, not inviting you at all. You didn't mind though, as long as you didn't have to be around them arguing you were fine.

✿✿✿

After they came back from the market, the four of you were sitting in Eugene's room, looking over what he had for the big night. Cassandra and Eugene were arguing about breaking his confetti cannon. And Rapunzel told them to stop yelling which only made them all angrier. Eventually, Cassandra had pulled out a dagger and was chasing around Eugene. They all burst into the kitchen, you were trying to hold Cassandra back while she cornered him against a barrel.

"Hey, let's all have some lemonade. I know I could use some!" Eugene tried to lessen the tension. He reached over and grabbed the ladle that was sitting in the lemonade, "Thanks, little buddy!" Eugene said to Pascal who was sitting on the edge of the barrel, "My throat was getting all sore from all this yelling." Eugene passed everyone some lemonade.

Rapunzel, who was looking at Cassandra said, "At least someone around here is considerate."

You rolled your eyes before taking a sip of the lemonade.

Rapunzel practically spat out the lemonade, "Really not a fan of lemonade..." She said, looking down at the cup in her hand.

Cassandra made a face too, "It's bitter..." She placed the cup down on another barrel, "I like it." The woman spun around.

"Why am I not surprised?" Eugene asked.

Cassandra spun around, ready to fight again, "You know what Eugene-" She started, before being cut off, "I can kind of see how that cannon would be fun, but at least consider the risk!"

"What was I thinking?!" Eugene said, "You are so right, Cassandra! Firing a cannon could be dangerous!" You looked over and saw Pascal and Maximus high-fiving, everyone was acting weird and you knew it had something to do with those two.

Suddenly, your shoulders dropped, you looked down at the cup in your hand feeling almost sick. You placed it down and looked back at the group, everyone was acting weird. Then it felt as though your brain shut off and was replaced with another.

Rapunzel turned to the two animals and told them to make her a sandwich.

You shook your head, feeling strange, everything was wrong, Cassandra was free-spirited, Eugene was being overly cautious, Rapunzel was straight up mean, and you felt... sad. You wrapped your arms around yourself.

Of course, even with their new personalities, the three began arguing again. They were so loud. You covered your ears with your hand and walked out of the room, you needed silence. As you walked down the hall you had a sudden thought, what about Varian? If you had gotten to the amber in time then maybe you could have saved his dad. It was all your fault...

You wandered up to your room and sat down on the window seat.

"If I hadn't hesitated then I could have saved his dad." You said out loud, staring at your reflection in the window, "It's all my fault. If I had just tried harder..." You buried your face in your hands. 'Cassandra was right, I really don't think about the wellbeing of others enough.'

✿✿✿

Your family and You stood outside, watching as the Griffin showed up. You wrung your hands nervously and looked down at the ground, only one thought was going through your head.

'It's all your fault.' You told yourself over and over again.

Your thoughts were so loud, you didn't hear the Griffin be introduced. Your father stood in front of both you and Rapunzel, before walking forward and greeting the man. You glanced up, looking at the scene in front of you.

"We are beyond delighted to meet you."

The Griffin frowned, "Beyond delighted?" What's that supposed to mean? Like surprised? You think I wasn't gonna show up?" The man was ranting angrily, "What do you take me for, some kind of jerk?"

Your father hesitated, unsure of what to say.

"Or maybe you didn't think I could get here! Corona's not the only place that has horses and carriages, you know." The man growled, "Pittsford's got those things in spades!"

'It's all your fault.'

'It's YOUR fault!'

'YOU did this!'

'Everything could have been avoided if you had been there for Varian.'

'How do you sleep at night knowing that all this is your fault?'

'That you could have helped?'

You felt a hand on your shoulder, you shot up, turning to face your mom. She cupped your face, brushed her thumb across your cheek, "Are you, alright sweetheart?" She asked, her voice calm and soothing. You hadn't even noticed that there was no one outside anymore. You also hadn't noticed you had been crying. You pulled yourself away from your mom and nodded, before wiping the tears off your face.

"I'm fine." You said.

Your mother's eyes were full of concern, "Well, then, please join us inside." She turned to look at the sky, "It is getting dark and dinner will be in a minute." She patted your shoulder lightly before walking through the doors of the castle. You waited a couple of seconds, cleaning yourself up before following the woman into the dining room. You sat on the left side of your mom while Rapunzel sat on the right side of your dad.

Eugene walked in after being announced by the footman. He was very nervous as he waved to the crowd while pulling in the fog machine.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let's get this peace party..." The fog started to come out of the machine, "started?" He sounded very unsure of himself. As soon as he took a look at the Griffin's face he put down the hose for the machine, "So, um... let me start again." He pulled the confetti gun from over his shoulder, "Ladies and gent--" He pulled the trigger and was thrown backward.

Rapunzel stood up from her seat, "You know what? I've had it with this phony banquet!" She stepped over to the Griffin, "We are only doing this to be nice to you, Griffin! But you need us! We don't need you!" She said, "So why don't you just suck up your pride and accept Corona's help?"

The doors burst open and Max and Pascal ran in, holding the vial of mood potion. Unfortunately, they didn't see where they were going and they dropped the potion right into the fog machine, majority poured out. The machine started up and smoke was dispersed throughout the room.

As soon as you breathed it in you felt a change, your normal self was back. But the doubts were still there. You shook your head, you had done everything in your power to help Varian. If he needs you, he would ask.

Rapunzel walked towards the middle of the room, "Ladies and Gentlemen, have I got a funny story--"

"Ah, BOO!" She was cut off by your mom booing her, "Boo!" You turned to your mom to see her grabbing a piece of cake with her bare hands and taking bites out of it. You stood up from your place and walked over to Rapunzel, Nigel started laughing. Pete and Stan started fighting, which was odd, they never fight.

"The vapor reversed everyone's personalities!" Rapunzel and you said seeing your dad and the Griffin about to fight. Your dad removed his cloak and pulled out his sword. The two men growled at each other. Rapunzel raced forward, trying to stop them, "Dad, please! You're not thinking clearly. This is a huge mistake!"

Your father thought about it for a second before growling, "Guards! Seize the princesses and their friends!" The guards immediately ran up and grabbed you all, pulling you out the door.

✿✿✿

The three of you sat in the dungeon, "This is all Max and Pascal's fault." Cassandra said, pouting.

Rapunzel shook her head, "No, this is our fault. We've been jerks to each other, and Max and Pascal were only trying to help." The blonde stood up from her place, "Look, guys, we are not perfect. Cass, you could show a bit more compassion. Eugene, a dose of humility every now and then, wouldn't hurt." She then turned to you, " Did your personality even change? I didn't see you much."

You shook your head, "I must not have drunk enough of the lemonade." You lied.

She nodded, "And maybe even I... don't have to be upbeat all the time. And I should be frank when I'm annoyed with things." She looked up at all of you, "My point is, you guys are my best friends. And even though there are some things about us that annoy each other, I... wouldn't trade them for anything."

Cassandra got up, "Well, well. Glad to see the schmaltz is back." She gave Rapunzel a hug.

"And no is the cynicism." Rapunzel laughed.

Eugene grabbed you and pulled all of you into a group hug.

"Now, there is one characteristic that we all have in common. "Rapunzel said as you all pulled away, "We.. don't... quit. And last time a checked, we have a war to stop."

You smiled, turning to Rapunzels boyfriend, "You heard her, Eugene. Pick that lock!"

"On it." The man said, opening the door. He swung the keys around on his finger, "Nabbed it while getting arrested. Sure, that vapor may have turned upstairs into utter chaos, but even in the darkest hour, a valiant and skilled swashbuckler, "You rolled your eyes, and you could hear Cassandra sigh. The three of you decided to leave the room while he was still talking, "such as myself, must keep his wits about him. So... you're welcome, ladies."

Soon he caught up to you and the four of you quickly rushed up to the banquet hall. You opened the doors and it was pure chaos, everyone was fighting, or running around. Your dad was fighting the Griffin.

Rapunzel turned to Eugene, "Eugene, charm the crowd to safety! Cass, handle the guards and clear a path! And (Y/N) please try to get mom out of the chaos." You nodded before turning to see where your mom was. She was currently standing a little too close to the fight that was going on between the Griffin and your dad. You ran over to her and grabbed her arm carefully.

"Hey, mom! You should come with me and get away from this fight!" You tried to yell over top of the noise.

She shook her head and yanked her arm away from you, "No way! This is just getting good!" She turned back to the fight.

You had to think of something, anything, that would get your mom to follow, "OH! Mom I've got a place where you can watch the fight! It is way cooler and there's uh-- free food!" You said, that immediately caught the woman's attention, you grabbed her arm and pulled her over towards the table, and sat her down. She immediately calmed down, something in her changed as soon as she took her seat. But you realized that it was just her eating all the food.

You chuckled to yourself, your mother had never acted this way. You turned back towards Rapunzel, she was holding a sword and was prepared to fight your father. Her face was full of determination. Your father took a shocked glance at her and immediately dropped his sword. He walked towards Rapunzel and embraced her in a hug.

Your mother looked up from her seat, pouting, "AH, come on! I wanna see a brawl!" She crossed her legs on the table, her face was a mess.

✿✿✿

Luckily everyone was eventually back to normal, it took some convincing but all the people had rid themselves of the potion's effects.

Currently, the royal family was standing at the docks with the Griffin, "Let this be the start of a centuries-long friendship." Your father said, shaking hands with the short man.

The man looked confused, "I'm still not sure what happened last night, but... Rapunzel was right. I needed to swallow my pride and accept help." He smiled at her, "Thank you, Princess." The man then boarded his ship, which was tiny, and left.

Your parents walked away, leaving Eugene, Cassandra, Rapunzel, and you still at the docks, "Well, that wasn't how I imagined things going." Eugene said.

"You said it." Rapunzel said, grabbing the potion from Maximus's saddlebag, "It's terrifying to think something so small could have such an effect." She then chucked the potion into the ocean, for the safety of Corona.

Cassandra stared in disdain, "Uhg. Good riddance."

You nodded before all of you turned around and started walking back to the castle. Unaware of the effects that this would have on all of Corona.

✿✿✿

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 3.6K 72
"𝑾𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆." Everyone knew of Rapunzel. The golden-hair...
2.2K 26 18
A long-lost princess and a long-lost Alchemy with the longest hair imaginable named Rapunzel and The science Alchemist named Varian, has spent their...
639 36 6
It was always just [Name] and Varian against the world. Best friends until the end of the lines. Despite the many disasters that come through their w...
1.2K 34 15
The is a sequel of 'Away from Old Corona'. Plot; Rapunzel got the Moonstone. She has taken her home castle and the Kingdom of Corona. It's up to Euge...