Silent Jedi

By dreamsmadereal

We all know about how Grogu, (aka Baby Yoda) was found on Arvala-7, but how did he get there? How did he esca... More

A Big Meeting
Final Preparations
Little Jedi, Big Galaxy
Meet The Krayt Dragons
Big Jedi Things
Something About The Chancellor
We're Different
The Unauthorized Concert
Busted
The Fun Police
The Gathering
Build-A-Lightsaber
The Baby Yoda
Initiate Trials
Your Special Journey
Hal Kipp
A Reunion
The Omega
Another Battle on Geonosis
Instability
Coming Back
Jedi Knight
Life After Loss
Not Alone
The Bright Future
The Night Before
Execute Order 66
The Last of Us
Rescue at the Jedi Temple
We Meet Again
Creatures of the Desert
The Kidnapping
Making A Plan
Operation Playdate
An Epic Battle
Everything After
Finally Reunited
Jett and Luke
Vacation

The Market

1.5K 25 4
By dreamsmadereal

There had never been a day like this one. This was the first time Norman Ranger saw his daughter Jett, age four, light up. While she normally played with her toys behind the counter of her family's store, Jett was up and on her feet. Little Jett's pigtails bounced up and down while she stood by the door.

"Choy do u stuka, Jett?" Norman said in Huttese.

He went beside her. Everything outside their store was normal. The streets of Mos Espa were packed to the gills with the Boonta Classic pod race coming up. Norman shook his head and proceeded to grab a broom. Sand was starting to cover the floor.

"Hello there, young one. Was that you making all that noise?"

Norman quickly whipped himself around to see what all the ruckus was about. He saw a man with long hair and light robes kneeling down to Jett, who was stamping her feet with glee.

"It's nice to meet you, Jett," said the man. "How old are you, Jett?"

Norman watched as Jett stared at this mysterious man.

"And you have a baby brother? That's very exciting!" said the man.

"Hey, get away from my daughter, creep!" Norman said to him in Galactic Basic, but his words flowed with a thick accent. He'd spoken Huttese his whole life. He pointed the broom at this crazy stranger. "Leave this shop. Now!"

"I'm terribly sorry. She called out to me," said the man.

"Nonsense! She doesn't speak. She can't say a single word. No way she called out to a stranger," Norman said.

"Mmm! Mmm!" Jett said, tugging on the man's robes.

Norman was profoundly perplexed.

"Norman! What's going on out there?" Cal, his wife, emerged from the back room. She was holding their three-week-old son, Ohdiz, who was crying up a storm. "I'm trying to put the baby down for a nap."

Cal gazed at the man in the light robes and gasped. Norman looked at the man's side. He saw it, too.

"You're a Jedi! Are you here to free us from the Hutts?" asked Norman.

"Sadly, I'm not. I'm here looking for parts for my ship. I was trying to find a junk shop, but Jett called me here. I have a feeling there isn't anyone here who can understand her," said the man.

"Not at all," Cal said, putting her free hand on Jett's shoulder. "Jett is nonverbal. She can make some noises, but no words."

"Not in your form of communication," the man said.

Just then, a customer came in.

"Please, come with us to the back room," Cal whispered. "Zarf! Zumar!"

Two of the Ranger's slaves emerged from the back room. Cal ordered them to finish sweeping and help the customer. They obeyed, and everyone else shuffled into the back room.

"She really...spoke to you?" Norman asked.

"Yes, she did," said the man.

"I believe it. Or at least, I believe something. She really likes you. She doesn't even hug us like that," Cal said.

They all looked down, seeing that Jett was now clinging to the strange man's leg. She was crying. Both of her parents began to panic.

"She says she's very happy," the man said.

"Oh my..." Cal said, clasping her hand over her mouth.

"Could she really be?" Norman asked.

"Yes. I definitely think Jett could be force-sensitive," the man said.

"Does that mean she can go with you and become a Jedi?" Cal asked.

Norman hugged his wife, then turned to the mysterious Jedi. "Things are rough here in Mos Espa. We're ruled by the Hutts. Cal and I have had to do so many bad things to make a living. We have deals with the Hutts. We own slaves. We've always wanted a better life for our kids."

"I heard that the force can run in families. Is there a chance our son Ohdiz could be a Jedi too?" Cal asked.

"I would have to take a blood test to be sure. I really must be going, but I can promise you that I'll come back later."

"Meet us back here after dark. And please, don't tell anyone about this. If any word gets out about this, our lives could be at stake," Norman said.

"Your secret is safe with me, and me only," said the man. "I'll see you all after dark."

"Oh, and what is your name, Jedi?" asked Cal.

"I'm Qui Gon Jin," said the man. "And while I'm here, would you know about the nearest junk shop where I could get parts for a hyperdrive?"

"Try Wato across the street. He's kind of a pain, but he's got everything," Norman said.

"Thank you. I'll see you both later," said Qui Gon.

After dark, once Zarf and Zumar were sent home, Qui Gon met Cal, Norman, and their two sleepy kids back at their shop. He went with them into the basement storage room and took blood samples from both Jett and Ohdiz. He would have the results back after the big race the next day.

He told Cal and Norman that there was possibly another Jedi in their very same town, and that he would be a little busy. As we all know, he was busy with freeing the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker. While Jett and Ohdiz were important, they were really in the back of Qui Gon's mind. He had to focus on the Chosen One.

The very next day was the Boonta Classic pod race. Jett and her family watched as Anakin won the big race. After seeing Qui Gon walk into the arena with Anakin that morning, Norman knew to make a bet on the child. He won it quite big, to the surprise of everyone around him.

On the way back to his ship with Anakin, Qui Gon stopped at the Ranger's market. Norman and Cal took him to the back room, anxious to find out the results from their childrens' blood test. One child had midi-chlorians, and one did not.

"At least one will have a chance at a great life," Norman said, putting his hand on his crying wife's shoulder.

"Since I need to take Anakin with me, I have a member of the Acquisition Team on their way. They'll meet you outside the town after sundown. Jett will take you to them," said Qui Gon.

"Thank you so much, Jedi," Norman said.

"It is my absolute pleasure," said Qui Gon.

He said goodbye to Jett before he left, then went with Anakin onto the rest of their journey. Of course, before getting onto his ship, Qui Gon and Anakin picked up some souvenirs from Sand-tastic Gifts down the road.

Meanwhile, Cal took Jett home to pack. She gave her little daughter a backpack filled with clothes, snacks, a blanket, and a picture of their whole family. Cal knew that Jedi weren't supposed to know their families, but she knew her daughter. She loved her daughter, and she knew Jett loved her back. She didn't want this little girl that she loved so much to forget where she came from.

Night fell. Ohdiz was left back at the shop with the slaves. Cal told them Jett was being sold into the black market for a few extra bucks. They bought it, and the three were on their way outside Mos Espa.

Like the rest of Tatooine, there was nothing outside the town but miles and miles of sand. Except for tonight. There was a small ship. One that Jett was running towards. She ran so fast that her parents could barely keep up.

"Hello?" said a voice.

When they got closer to the ship, they saw a blue Twi'lek woman in Jedi attire. Jett immediately ran into her arms, and the woman scooped her up.

"So you did hear me, didn't you?" she asked Jett. Little Jett nodded. "I'm Jedi Master Artemis Bridge. I'm a member of the Acquisition Division, and I also have my own nursery. I'll be the one overseeing Jett's care."

"We know she'll be in good hands," Cal said.

"Jett, you're sure you want to go?" Norman asked her. Jett vigorously nodded her head. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Jett is strong with the force. She has a bright future ahead of her," Artemis said.

"I always knew she was destined for something special," Cal said. "Bye Jett! We love you!"

"Love you sweetie!" Norman said.

Jett waved and blew them a kiss, which her dad made sure to catch, like always. She wrapped her arms around Artemis, and the ramp to the ship closed behind her.

***

Thanks to anyone who stopped by to read my first fanfiction story in a while! I hope you all enjoy this, since it's so different from what I normally write.

What did you think of this first chapter?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

900K 55.2K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
782K 17.5K 46
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
8.2K 325 34
What if Bilbio Baggins had never joined Thorin Oakenshield's company? What if his cousine Andrea had joined them instead? After spending too long loc...
3.1K 91 35
The Marauders try to get closer to two girls to help Peter with his crush, not knowing that the other friend fancies James or that she's only half hu...