Gideon Drake and the Fire Wit...

By TEZofAllTrades

*AMBYs 2022 Winner* A brand-new story set in J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World of Harry Potter 🧙 Find out how t... More

Chapter One: The Boy Who Died
Chapter Two: The Weaving
Chapter Three: Parting Shot
Chapter Four: The Visitors
Chapter Five: The Painful Truth
Chapter Six: Food for Thought
Chapter Seven: Course Correction
Chapter Eight: Decisions
Chapter Nine: Sweets and Soured
Chapter Ten: Orientation
Chapter Eleven: A Matter of Time
Chapter Twelve: The Unravelling
Chapter Thirteen: Breaking News
Chapter Fourteen: Distant Relatives
Chapter Fifteen: Acceptance
Chapter Sixteen: Back on Track
Chapter Seventeen: Simply Magical
Chapter Eighteen: Home Sweet House
Chapter Nineteen: DADA
Chapter Twenty: Broken Dreams
Chapter Twenty-One: Belonging
Chapter Twenty-Two: Epiphany
Chapter Twenty-Three: Elevation
Chapter Twenty-Four: Fresh Eyes
Chapter Twenty-Five: Seeing Red
Chapter Twenty-Six: Friendly Competition
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Burnt Out
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Wildfire
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Tricks and Treats
Chapter Thirty: Fallout
Chapter Thirty-One: Fighting Fire with Fire
Chapter Thirty-Two: Game On
Chapter Thirty-Three: Bursting Bubbles
Chapter Thirty-Four: Running Scared
Chapter Thirty-Five: Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing Grip
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Tea and Sympathy
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Crisis Management
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Reprieve
Chapter Forty: Clued-in
Chapter Forty-One: Season's Greetings
Chapter Forty-Two: Gifting and Forgetting
Chapter Forty-Three: Eternal Rest and Relaxation
Chapter Forty-Four: Facing Fear
Chapter Forty-Five: High and Low
Chapter Forty-Six: Hot on the Trail
Chapter Forty-Seven: The Eye of Fire
Chapter Forty-Eight: Unleashed
Chapter Forty-Nine: The Final Pieces
Author's Note
Bonus Content: Gideon's Timetables
Bonus Content: Fiery Locations
Bonus Content: Fanart Gallery

Chapter Fifty: The Home Stretch

169 12 19
By TEZofAllTrades

Later that day, Gideon, Alex and Talia were escorted from the Hospital Wing to the head's office by Professor Long. She informed them that classes had been cancelled for the day before uttering the gargoyle's password to let them up, 'Spattergroit.'

They found Professor Dandridge waiting for them with Professor Maxwell, Jonathan Grimsby, and a very slim woman with a short haircut, who turned out to be Talia's mother.

The next hour was spent going over everything the three of them had investigated, learned, and done in relation to the fires, including a blow-by-blow of their encounter with the Demon. Talia's mother seemed horrified while Mr Grimsby spent a lot of the time shaking his head with his eyes closed.

'You do understand, don't you, that the staff were conducting our own investigation into the fires?' said Professor Dandridge sternly. 'Had we not been delayed by the late discovery of a key piece of information, found only in a library book that went missing from the Restricted Section until—'

'I had a note, Professor,' Alex interjected guiltily, 'from, err, Professor Trelawney.'

'Not the same teacher who made this prophecy?' Mrs Dinescu asked incredulously.

'Most teachers know better...' the headmistress stated wearily. 'Be that as it may, permission is given only to access restricted books, not to remove them from the library!'

'Alex!' Mr Grimsby chided.

'I must ask, why none of you came forward with your information?' Professor Dandridge asked.

'We were—I was—stupid, Professor. I'd become mistrustful and I let that cloud my judgement,' Gideon confessed.

'No, Gideon, me and Alex are just as much to blame,' Talia insisted. 'We could have said something, but we convinced ourselves that for Ruby's sake, the best thing to do was use what we knew to identify the culprit, in case they got away. Personally, I also wanted to clear Gideon of suspicion once and for all.'

'We never intended to confront Professor Blanchard,' Alex insisted. 'And we never imagined what would happen! But we thought a teacher might be involved, so we didn't know who to tell, especially since they were using ritual magi—'

Gideon cleared his throat pointedly at this point, not keen for Alex to reveal that they had foolishly suspected the headmistress herself.

'Yes, well, the fact of the matter is you broke a number of school rules and put yourselves in grave danger!' the headmistress scolded. Then, she sat back in her chair and sighed, 'However, had you not delayed the Demon until the teachers arrived, there is no telling what would have happened to the school, the students, or indeed the world beyond Hogwarts, should it have escaped. As such, I can't bring myself to punish you. I will leave that to your guardians if they so wish.'

Gideon, Alex and Talia exchanged looks of amazement and relief. Then, Gideon remembered, 'Can we ask, what about Professor Binns?'

'I'm afraid we can't be sure about the reasons for Professor Binns's exorcism,' the head concluded. 'We can't say with any certainty that Professor Blanchard was responsible, but it does seem likely. I would contend that given Professor Binns's habit of walking through walls, he may have happened upon something he wasn't supposed to see. Perhaps he ran into Professor Blanchard while patrolling and thought nothing of it? Professor Blanchard, however, may have considered any witnesses a risk to his plan. Alas, I'm afraid we may never know for sure.'

After a pause, Professor Maxwell said, 'Regarding the prophecy. It will need to be reviewed by the Ministry. In the meantime, I recommend its contents remain private, as well as everything else discussed here today.'

'My daughter's abilities included,' Mrs Dinescu added with a stern expression. 'Talia isn't a danger to others, but people would still judge her negatively for being a Pyromagus. Just look what the Prophet did to Gideon.'

'Agreed,' said Gideon's father with a nod. 'A more suitable narrative to explain things will be provided shortly. Until then, please keep everything you know to yourselves.'

The three children nodded silently.

A few minutes later, they all made to leave the room when the headmistress asked Gideon to hold back. Jonathan Grimsby and Marcus Maxwell hovered awkwardly, apparently unsure of their place now with regard to the boy's guardianship.

'I'll just be a moment, gentlemen. I'll send Gideon back to his Common Room afterwards,' she said, and they both left with the others.

Gideon gulped. He couldn't imagine what Professor Dandridge needed to speak with him about alone after everything they had discussed.

'I've given you a lot of leeway this year, Gideon,' she stated. 'More than I should have, because of my guilt over sealing your magic. You remember me telling you that we had found no evidence of your magic at the scene of Charms classroom or Halloween fires?'

'Err, yes,' Gideon replied, trying to see where the conversation was leading.

'Well, I didn't mention the Student Lounge, did I?'

Gideon's stomach tightened and he dropped his head. How had he missed that? It had been an opportunity for him to come clean about the one large fire he had actually been responsible for.

'I know exactly what transpired that evening thanks to a certain watchful pair of eyes,' she hinted, indicating in the direction of the paintings of former head's that lined the wall. Professor Albus Dumbledore was looking down at Gideon over his half-moon spectacles with a knowing expression, just as he did when hanging over the Student Lounge fireplace. 'However, punishing Mr Stevens and his comrades for their dreadful behaviour would also have meant compounding the suspicion growing around you.'

Gideon felt incredibly guilty. It had been before he knew anything about his dark magic, but he should have told Professor Dandridge or Professor Voronov at some point. In retrospect, he knew they would have understood.

'As for Halloween, I'll be having a separate conversation with Miss Dinescu later, but I understand that both of you had unique reasons for not coming to me at the time of the respective incidents, or indeed more recently. However, I hope that you will be able to trust me more in the future. What do you say to a fresh start?'

Gideon nodded fervently in agreement and apologised profusely.

'Good. In that case, I shall return this to you and pretend as though I've never seen it before,' she said with a wink as she rolled the undamaged Camostone across her desk. Then, holding up what appeared to be the melted, crushed remains of Verity's camera, she advised, 'This, I'm afraid, was unsalvageable. Now, run along.'

Gideon smiled sheepishly, grabbed the crystal orb, and left the office quickly. As he stepped off the twisting stairs below, however, he was assaulted by someone. He fumbled in his sleeve for his wand before he realised that the person holding him tightly around the shoulders was his brother.

'Dad told me everything. I'm so sorry, Gid! I've been such a terrible bro!'

'Yeah, you have,' Gideon growled, wrenching himself free of his brother's grip.

There was desperation in Anthony's expression. 'It's no excuse, I know, but I was just so upset over mum—' he said.

'So was I!' Gideon interjected fiercely.

'Of course, you were—I knew you must be—but after she was hurt—'

'I was hurt too, you know! Or did you think that stupid eye patch was some kind of fashion statement?'

'Right—I know—but after, dad said all this crazy stuff... He was crazy! Like I've never seen him,' Anthony explained, shaking his head, and running a hand through his hair. 'Then, when you showed up here, I couldn't believe it! I thought it was proof of what dad had been saying. I shouldn't have believed it. Maybe I didn't really, but then those fires started, and everyone found out you were my bro, and even the Prophet was talking about you... I didn't know what to think!'

Gideon continued to scowl at Anthony, but something about his big brother's watery eyes made it hard to remain cross with him. 'You could have just asked me,' he said with considerably less enmity.

'I know, I should have. I wanted to after those guys in my house cornered you, but then everything got weird. I'm... I'm just so sorry!'

The two brothers fell silent for a few moments. Gideon averted his eyes, shook his head, and bit the inside of his cheek in frustration. Being angry didn't change the fact that he missed his brother.

You should hit me!' Anthony suddenly suggested, throwing his arms open wide dramatically. 'Go on, I deserve it!'

'Alright,' Gideon replied immediately, and to his brother's surprise, punched him in the gut with all his strength.

Anthony doubled over with his arms wrapped around his torso. 'Seriously, little dude?' he squealed breathlessly.

'You think that's bad?' Gideon teased with immense satisfaction. 'Just wait until Jen gets a hold of you!'

***

In the Great Hall that evening, Professor Dandridge gave a brief, highly edited explanation of what had transpired in the Courtyard and announced Professor Blanchard's passing.

She had explained earlier in her office, that until they knew the identity of Professor Blanchard's controller, they had no choice but to attribute the fires to him. It was unfortunate, but Gideon's father had confirmed this would be the Ministry line.

Students such as the Barrington sisters connected Gideon, Alex and Talia's earlier absence with her story, and for once, positive rumours about Gideon began circling. These were encouraged by the headmistress' welcome reopening of the Quidditch Cup. The days that followed seemed to zoom by.

With permission from Gideon and guidance from his father, Caroline wrote a new exposé about what had transpired, with some key omissions, of course. She used it to clear Gideon's name and attack the Daily Prophet's irresponsible reporting.

It featured exclusive interviews with the headmistress, Gideon, and others from the school. It also included quotes from Minster Granger-Weasley and Mr Draco Malfoy of the Wizengamot, who each accused the other of using Gideon to score political points.

Caroline sold the story to the Quibbler, which enjoyed its second-highest grossing edition since they had begun publishing and offered her the role of Senior Editor.

After the article, many of the students who had been withdrawn from the school started returning, including Tim, which lifted the spirits of the third-year Slytherins. After Breakfast the following morning, Ruby appeared in the Entrance Hall, flanked by her siblings.

As soon as Ruby spotted Gideon exiting the Great Hall, she made a beeline for him and threw her arms around him. Talia got the same treatment when she showed up moments later.

'You saved me!' she whispered to them both excitedly. 'I knew you would figure it out!'

'Just barely!' said Gideon, beaming ear to ear. 'But how did you?'

Ruby looked over her shoulder to see if any passers-by were in earshot, and shared in an undertone, 'Well, I think I had my first proper vision!'

'You had a vision of Blanchard?' Talia asked.

'Well, no, actually,' Ruby clarified, looking a little embarrassed now. 'I saw myself writing the message on the wall!'

'Wait,' Talia said, her brow furrowed in confusion. 'So, you didn't know what the message meant? Does that even make sense?'

Ruby shook her head and chuckled. 'Somehow, I just knew I had to go. Then, when I got to the Astronomy Tower and heard footsteps approaching, I figured what I saw must have been real and that it was time. I guess I've still got a long way to go as a Seer!'

***

The atmosphere in the castle changed significantly as June progressed. Many of the people who had been accusing Gideon of starting the fires or jinxing him in the corridors actually apologised to him. People were generally more friendly to him, except for Greg Stevens and Jason Crawley, who when next crossed paths with Gideon, knocked him to the floor only to find themselves jinxed by every nearby student.

Still remorseful, Anthony began spending as much of his free time as he could with Gideon, to the point Gideon insisted his brother revise for his N.E.W.T. examinations if only to get some space from him. Ruby's siblings also stuck closer to her, but Gideon enjoyed getting to know them better.

While things were still awkward between Gideon and his father, their interactions in the remaining Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons had at least progressed, if being awarded House Points by Professor Maxwell for the first time that year could be considered a sign of progress. Gideon chose to believe so, but he was still too unsure of his feelings to press the issue.

Alex made an amazing catch of the Golden Snitch in the last Quidditch match, which secured Gryffindor and Anthony the Quidditch Cup. It was hard to be mad about it considering how well-fought the games had been. It was only disappointing that their victory also pushed them into the lead for the House Championship, just ten points ahead of Slytherin.

Once exams were finally out of the way, which Gideon felt sure he had done exceptionally well on, barring Astronomy and Ancient Runes, of course, the school year finally came to a close and the End of Year Feast took place. The Great Hall's usual mix of ceiling banners and wall tapestries were all red and emblazoned with golden lions, to mark Gryffindor's impending House Championship victory.

'It's been an exciting year at Hogwarts,' announced Professor Dandridge, 'more exciting than I could have imagined when I accepted the job as headmistress. From the outset, something I hoped for was inter-house cooperation. I'm happy to say that I've seen plenty of examples of it. You come to this school to learn magic, but the greatest magic to be found at Hogwarts lies in the bonds you form with one another.

'That said, there's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. So, without further ado, I must award the House Cup, for which I'm told the race for first and third place are both a mere ten points apart this year! However... I have a few last-minute points to award.'

The students began murmuring loudly and Gideon distinctly heard someone say, 'Uh-oh!'

The headmistress continued, 'Firstly, to Miss Natalia Dinescu. For keeping a cool head under fire, I award forty points.'

Everybody clapped, the Ravenclaws especially loudly. Gideon saw that Talia was trying to act nonchalant, but her cheeks were bright red.

'Next, to Mr Alex Grimsby. For impressive deductive reasoning, I award forty points.'

The Gryffindors went wild for this boost to their lead.

'Third, To Miss Ruby Williams. For keen insight and unshakeable faith in her friends, I award fifty points.'

The Hufflepuffs cheered loudly, realising they had tied with Ravenclaw, and patted Ruby on the back as she hid behind her hands with embarrassment.

'Finally, for the remarkable resilience and strength of character he has shown this year, I award Mr Gideon Drake, fifty points.'

The room erupted. Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were clapping but most of the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables were both hooting and hollering madly. They quickly realised, though, that the result was ambiguous, and looked to Professor Dandridge.

'Tied for second place, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw,' she announced, 'and in first place, also tied, Gryffindor and Slytherin!'

The cheers returned with gusto as half of the red decorations turned green. Gryffindor didn't seem to mind sharing as long as they still won, and Slytherin had just gone from second place to joint first. Gideon's points had won them the House Cup.

***

The Slytherins partied hard in the Common Room that evening. Gideon, Dorian, Eoin, Gio, Tim, Sasha and Cheryl talked, laughed, sang, and danced together into the night, just as they had months before. It took a visit from their Head of House at two in the morning to finally get them all off to bed, but Professor Voronov couldn't conceal his own delight at winning the House Cup. Such a high point made packing their trunks the following morning a rather melancholy experience.

That feeling resonated with Gideon as he stepped onto the platform at Hogsmeade train station. In contrast to his solitary journey to the school in September, the return trip would be spent with friends. He, Ruby, and Talia would be sharing a compartment. However, when the train stopped in London, he would have to say goodbye to them.

Alex had declined to join them. He did, however, share one of the horseless carriages that pulled itself to the station with them. He also had a lengthy conversation with the three of them before boarding the train, much to the displeasure of Greg and Jason, who were sulking nearby, waiting for him.

'Let's meet up over the summer,' Alex suggested to Gideon, 'I'll write to you. I promise this time! The only reason I didn't before was because my dad told me you probably weren't going to Hogwarts. I thought it would be like rubbing salt in the wound or something.'

'I get it,' Gideon assured him, 'I'll write too.'

'Me too!' Ruby added.

'And you, Natalia?' Alex asked cheekily, 'Will you write to me?'

'I'll save it for your obituary,' Talia retorted darkly, and the cat in her arms hissed at the boy loudly.

'Talia!' Ruby gasped.

Alex merely burst out laughing. 'I think she's warming up to me,' he jested, patting Gideon on the shoulder as he picked up his trunk. 'Well, see you all soon!'

'Have a good Summer,' Ruby and Gideon called back.

***

Gideon wasn't certain what he would find waiting for him on Platform Nine and Three Quarters. His apprehension rose steadily as the train drew ever closer to London. When the Hogwarts Express finally rolled into King's Cross Station, Gideon's heart began to thump in his chest.

'What's the matter?' Ruby asked, noticing beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

'Nothing,' he assured her, but he became a little shaky as the great steam engine came to a halt and it was time to pull his trunk off the train.

'I'll let you know about visiting for my birthday,' Ruby told Gideon and Talia with tears in her eyes and a huge grin. After giving them both a tight hug, she ran towards her siblings while waving.

Close by, Gideon saw Alex meet with his father. Mr Grimsby met Gideon's eyes and flashed him a smile with a nod, which Gideon returned.

'Well, it's been a blast, Gideon. Don't burn anything!' Talia teased before heaving her trunk in the direction of her mother.

'You either!' Gideon called out to her, and she waved coolly over her shoulder without looking back.

He chuckled to himself and shook his head before turning his attention to the platform. He exchanged goodbyes and waves with his dormmates, who passed by and met each of their waiting families, then continued to scan the crowd.

'I've got this, bro,' said Anthony, grabbing hold of Gideon's trunk and carrying it along with his own a little further down the busy platform. He arrived at a group of people with an empty trolley, loaded the two trunks onto it, and turned back to Gideon with an expectant look on his face. Next to him, stood Marcus, Annabeth, Jennifer and Caroline Maxwell, all looking as nervous as Gideon felt.

Gideon took a deep breath, found his feet, and walked over to them, where they each greeted him with hugs of varying awkwardness. 'Where to?' Gideon asked uncertainly.

'First, to the hospital, to visit your mother,' said Marcus Maxwell.

'Then, home,' said Annabeth Maxwell.

'Home?' Gideon queried.

'Home,' his father replied pointedly.

Gideon smiled brightly and the group headed up the platform towards the hidden barrier. As they did, they passed a man selling copies of the Daily Prophet. Gideon was no longer interested in what the "rag" of a newspaper, as Talia referred to it, had to say, but he couldn't help catching the day's headline out of the corner of his eye:

WIZENGAMOT MEMBER ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY: MALFOY FOR MINISTER?

The End

Keep reading for bonus content and information about the sequel!

Gideon Drake and the Fire Within is now listed on GoodReads.com! Be sure to add it to your "Read" books shelf and leave a rating/review of the story, and feel free to connect with me there!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 64 19
The incredibles is my favourite movie so I thought I would make some oneshots about it, and im one of those people that likes to make crazy scenarios...
62.9K 1.4K 13
After the new spirit portal opened, Jinora has been forced to do extensive research as a part of her being an airbending master. Eventually, her fath...
31.5K 279 5
Winx Club theme song for season 1,2,3,4,5
11.4K 217 12
READ THE DAMN DESC!!! - Chaos grew and prospered where she walked, but not with him. She seemed calmer, less cold around him. Almost as if he was the...