Better Together

By soleOnyx

|Steven x Male reader| This story follows Y/n, a young boy. His mother had given up her physical form to give... More

Prologue
A new life
When It Rains
Too Far
Steven's Birthday
The Whispers In My Head
Message Received
Gem Drill
Mr. Greg
A blossomed Endearment
Gem Hunt
Crack The Whip
Bismuth
Ease Of Winds
Pride Month Special
Above The Earth's Sky
A Mission For 2
Mindful Education
A Busy November
Steven's Dream
Galactic Retrieval
Storm In The Room
The Quest For Destiny
Onyx's Truth
Goodbye...Friend
Invasion
Wanted
Gemcation
It Feels Like Christmas
Can't Go Back
A Single Pale Rose
Now We're Only Falling Apart
With Ruby As The Goal
Made Of Honor
Reunited
Sacrifice and Beyond
Diving Into New Territory
Homeworld Struggles
Change Your Mind
Breath Of Life

The Breaking and Formation of Bonds

2.9K 76 23
By soleOnyx

Steven POV

Amethyst, Y/n, and I were sitting in my room watching crying breakfast friends.

"I don't get it, why can't they just eat the ice cream off the floor instead of crying about it?" Amethyst said. "That's disgusting." Y/n cringed. 

While we were watching tv, it started glitching out and flashing a blue static color. 

"Aw man, it was doing this yesterday." I said with a sigh. Amethyst sat up and walked over to the tv. "Hang on, I got this," She said, beating the tv. "Is it any better now?"  

"It's never done that before!" I said in a moment of shock, as the tv changed to a different screen. Suddenly, a video message from Peridot starts playing on the tv.

"This is Peridot transmitting on all plausible frequencies from the abandoned crystal system colony planet Earth, to Yellow Diamond. My mission has been compromised, my escort and informant are gone, and I am now stranded! PLEASE SEND HELP!" Peridot says. 

As the transmission ends, I call Connie on my phone to ask her about the broadcast. "Okay, thanks Connie. Connie said that it's on her tv as well." I said while hanging up the phone. 

Pearl and Garnet then both walked into the room. 

"Where could this signal even be coming from that's this strong?" Pearl asked.

"There's only one possible place." Garnet replied. Garnet explained to us it's the Communication Hub, so I had Lion make a portal to take us there. We then emerged from the portal with Y/n and I gasping for air, while Lion collapsed from all the weight. 

"Lion, are you okay?" I asked while patting him on the head. "It's as I feared." Garnet sighed. "This is the communication hub? Holy.. it's massive!" Y/n said while staring at the tall structure. 

"Yes, and it seems Peridot has somehow repaired the hub. Well, at least some of it" Pearl stated. "So then...we just gotta wreck the place up again, right?" I said. "Oh! Amethyst and Garnet should form Sugilite!" 

"I mean... It's up to Garnet" Amethyst said. She then smirked and said "What do you say? Shall we mash it up a bit?" while Pearl looked nervous in the distance. 

"No." Garnet replied vaguely. "But why?! Don't we need to be big like last time?" Amethyst said, shocked at Garnet's response. Garnet takes off her visor and looks at Amethyst. 

"I can be brash, and you can be reckless. And we can both get carried away. So, for the time being, Sugilite is benched." Garnet said while putting her visor back on. "It's you and me Pearl, let's fuse." 

Pearl is overcome with emotions as she's holding a huge smile on her face with tears.

"Don't cry, Pearl." Garnet said. "I'm right behind you." Pearl said. Garnet and Pearl start dancing, while Y/n and I watched them with stars in our eyes. 

"Good evening, everybody! This is the lovely Sardonyx reporting to you live from the soon-to-be-former communication hub! How are y'all doin' tonight?" Sardonyx exclaimed. "Great..." Amethyst said while rolling her eyes. 

"GIANT WOMAN!" I shouted while running over to Sardonyx. Y/n's jaw dropped as he watched Sardonyx pick me up. 

"Oh, my stars! If it isn't Steven Universe! So, we finally meet. What do you think, was I worth the wait? Oh, what am I saying of course I was!" Sardonyx laughed. "You're so pretty" I said while mesmerized by the spinning giant woman.

"And don't think I forgot you, little meatball!" Sardonyx said while picking up Y/n. "So, you're the infamous Sardonyx I've heard about. Nice to meet you, finally!" Y/n exclaimed. 

"Nice to meet you too Y/n, I've heard lots about you." She said with a smile. 

"Aren't you 2 just the sweetest little charmers. I could literally squish you both right now!" Sardonyx cheered. "Nooo!" we both said and laughed. 

"Sorry, I'm just so excited to be here. I haven't exactly been myself lately." She joked. "Hehe, fusion joke." I said while nudging Y/n on the shoulder. Sardonyx then puts the both of us down while summoning a giant hammer. 

"Oh! Are you gonna smash stuff with your giant hammer thingy?!" I yelled.

"Hmm... smash is the word to describe what someone else might do." She said while looking at Amethyst who was scowling right back. "Now...the proper words to describe yours truly are specific! Intelligent! Accurate! Faultless! Elegant. Aaandd...powerful! But yes, I am occasionally known to smash." Sardonyx smirked. I laughed at her jokes, applauding them. 

"Now remember everybody, if you're ever in need of Pearl and Garnet just let them know. I'll be there in a flash...literally." Sardonyx said then unfused. "Woohoo!" Garnet said with excitement. 

"That was incredible!" Y/n said. "You guys were amazing!" I shouted. 

"Oh, we were? That's good!" Pearl said, blushing. 

Y/n POV

Steven, Garnet, and I were back in Steven's room watching crying breakfast friends. The temple door opened, and Amethyst walked out of her room. 

"Oh, hey Amethyst. You're missing crying breakfast friends!" Steven said. "Eh, that's okay, I'm fine." Amethyst replied. 

"Suit yourself." I said, shrugging. "You're not missing anything." Garnet replied with a monotone voice. 

"Well don't worry, I'm recording it for later." Steven said while picking up the remote. The tv then started to glitch out again. "It's the signal again!"  

"It's Peridot! Pearl! The signal is back" Garnet shouted as Pearl walked through the front door. "Again?" Pearl said, surprised.

"We need to go back there now!" Garnet exclaimed. "Right. Steven, where's Lion? Amethyst, get your head out of the fridge!" Pearl yelled. 

"Again? Man... wait for me!" I yelled as I ran after them. We get to the communication hub and it's activated again. 

"I hope you're ready." Garnet said to Pearl. "You know I am." She replied. Pearl and Garnet then fuse into Sardonyx. We both stared at Sardonyx in awe while Amethyst sighed and walked away.

Maybe you're better off with her.

I think she's better for you.

I forgot how great it felt to be us.

Guess I got carried away. Amethyst sang. Steven and I notice this and run after her.

I had to use you to make me feel strong.

But I don't care about that now.

I see a tower built out of my mistakes.

And it all comes crashing down. 

Is there something I can doo-oo?

Is there something I can doo-oo-oo?

Is there something I can doo-oo?

Can I make it up to you? 

I look at Amethyst sadly while I have an idea. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" I ask Steven. "Yeah, great minds think alike." Steven replied, smirking. 

*Time skip to night*

"Peridot has already been here 2 times, so it's likely that she'll come a 3rd. All we have to do is wait for her and bam! That's when we'll get 'er" Steven said while bumping his fists. "Yeah! Bam!" Amethyst said while imitating Steven.

"Garnet's gonna be so impressed." I said. We waited for about an hour and nothing showed up. 

"Nothing.. more nothing.. AH! There she is!" Steven whisper shouted. "No, that's just a cactus shaped like her..." I sighed at the disappointing news. We then waited for however long and then Steven saw something in the distance. 

"I think I see something!" Steven said while looking into the telescope. "It's Peridot's escape pod...she fixed it somehow?"

"Hold on, what? I thought you guys had the pod...?" I said, a little confused. "Maybe she stole it from the temple? Woah, now she's lifting all of the pillars. What's she doing up there? H-hey for some reason it kind of looks like...Pearl?" Steven said. 

"What? Let me see" Amethyst quickly said. Steven gave her the telescope and her facial expression immediately changed. "Oh no..." Amethyst mumbled. 

"This can't be good at all." I said nervously. "I don't understand, why would Pearl be fixing the hub? Is she trying to study how it works?" Steven asked.

"No, I don't think so" Amethyst replied. "Or maybe she's trying to get us more channels?" Steven asked again. "Doubt it." I said. Suddenly the tv started to glitch out once again and then Pearl walked in. 

"Oh, this is just no good!" Pearl exclaimed. "Something wrong, Pearl?" Steven asked, nervously. "It's Peridot. She must have fixed the hub somehow!" Pearl said. Garnet then walked in to see the 4 of us staring awkwardly at each other. 

"Garnet, the hub is activated again" Pearl spoke with a commanding tone. "Grr, she's evading my future vision. No matter what, I just can't seem to find us catching Peridot! C'mon, team!" Garnet yelled, clenching her head. 

"I can't believe Peridot is giving us this much trouble! But it hardly matters since we can just disable it as many times as we want, right? Yeah, so let's do this!" Pearl screeched excitedly. "Stop it!" I yelled as they were about to fuse. 

"Is something wrong, Y/n?" Pearl asked me. I awkwardly look at Steven and Amethyst hoping one of them would speak up. "You shouldn't..." Amethyst briefly stated. 

"Pearl...we saw you." Steven said. "Huh?" Pearl replied, a little confused. 

"You gotta be honest here and tell Garnet it was you!" I spoke up. "I don't understand." Garnet said, not sure of what was going on.

"I'm sorry, it's just...I had so much fun forming Sardonyx with you..." Pearl said awkwardly. Garnet then steps back with an angry look on her face. 

"So that's why I couldn't see us catching Peridot." 

"W-wait Garnet, let me explain!" Pearl said, trying to rationalize with Garnet. "YOU'VE been fixing the hub!" Garnet screamed. 

"It was Peridot! The first time...I just wanted to share a few more victories with you." Pearl said, sounding guilty. "Those weren't victories!" Garnet yelled, now growing angrier by the second. She stepped back for an instant, before angrily saying something. 

"Amethyst, fuse with me." She muttered. 

"But I-" Amethyst was cut off by Garnet before she could finish. "Let's just get this over with." Garnet stated. The 2 fused into Sugilite and immediately went to destroy the hub. Steven, Amethyst, and I were now sitting in Steven's room watching tv again. Pearl walked into the house and Garnet walked out of the temple door, both not saying a word to each other as they passed by. 

"Man, I wish things worked out in real life like they do in cartoons." Steven sighed. "If only.." I mumbled.

*Time skip a few days later*

Steven POV

Y/n and I were playing a game of cards when we heard the warp pad, it was Pearl.

"Pearl! Where have you been?!" I asked, surprised to finally see Pearl. "Out looking for Peridot...for a few days straight." She replied, a little exhausted. Garnet then entered the room. 

"Oh Garnet, I was just looking for Peridot! Any new ideas?" Pearl asked as she got no response from Garnet. "...I'm sorry" Pearl said. 

"Awkward..." Y/n quietly muttered. Suddenly, the door opened. "Who wants to go on a road trip?" Greg yelled as he slammed open the door. "Erm, is this a bad time?" Greg asked. 

"No, please continue" Garnet said. "Well, I need to drive over to the next state, Keystone." Greg said. "You mean the Keystone State?" Pearl asked. 

"Yeah, the state is named Keystone. I found someone on the internet who's selling car wash brushes at a really cheap price! I just gotta meet him in Keystone to pick them up" Greg replied. "I really don't like those brushes; they feel weird on you." I said with a shiver. 

"Well, do ya like motels?" Greg asked. "Hmm, probably!" I yelled with excitement. "Think you'd like to stay at one with your favorite dad?" Greg asked again.

"Well...I don't know if you're my favorite." I said with a questionable look on his face. "Huh? Oh come here you kidder!" Greg said enthusiastically. I then looked at Y/n who was sitting on the couch while watching these events unfold. 

"Hey dad, do you think Y/n can come along with us?" I asked, politely. "Y/n? Of course, he can! If that's alright with him that is." Greg replied. "Uh, I don't know... this kind of seems like something between you guys, not so much me." Y/n said.

"Aw, come on. You'll have a lot of fun, please come with us!" I exclaimed. Y/n looked at me, before letting out a sigh. "Alright then, guess I'm coming." He said, giving a small smile. 

"I'm also coming." Garnet said. "Even better!" I shouted. Dad raised an eyebrow before facing Garnet. "I know I talked this place up, but it ain't exactly the ritz." Greg said. 

"I'll be the judge of that." Garnet replied. "Well in that case, road trip!" Greg said. 

"Road trip!" I cheered. "Road trip." Garnet spoke with a monotone voice. Y/n and I were asleep in the van while Dad was driving, and Garnet was awake. We finally arrived at the motel and were eager to check it out. 

"We can swim in the pool, order free ice, and watch a movie!" I exclaimed while jumping onto the bed and Y/n followed behind me. "Not before we check for bed bugs!" Greg quickly said and ran over to check. 

"Good news, we're bugless." Greg smiled. Dad's phone lit up and saw it was from the guy on the internet.

"Welp, that's my cue. Garnet, could you hold down the place until I get back?" Greg asked. Garnet gave a thumbs up while jittering in her seat. 

"Great, if I'm not back in an hour, call the police" Greg winked. "Okay! Bounce with me Y/n!" I said. 

"Nah, I'm alright. You have fun, though." He chuckled. I looked over to the table which contained a pile of brochures. "Hey, why don't we read some brochures?" I asked. 

"Keystone Cavern.. sounds cool." Y/n said. Garnet started mumbling something before she eventually unfused.

"Ruby! Sapphire!" I shouted. 

"We must move past this ruby." Sapphire said. "She lied to us so we would form Sardonyx, she tricked us! Don't you feel used?" Ruby said. 

"You're choosing to take this personally." Sapphire replied. "It's FUSION Sapphire! What's more personal to us than FUSION!?" Ruby yelled in a very angry tone. 

"Look, I understand you're upset-" Sapphire started to say but then Ruby got increasingly angry. "OH, SO IT'S JUST ME?!" Ruby shouted. 

"Of course not, Ruby, can't you see I'm completely engulfed in rage?" Sapphire replied with a very monotone voice. "Well, it doesn't feel like it." Ruby said while stomping her foot. 

"The sooner we can forgive Pearl, the better it will be for everyone." Sapphire said. "You're not as above this as you think you are" Ruby exclaimed with fire literally coming out of her eyes. 

"Yes, I am. You can't stay mad at her forever." Sapphire stated. "Wanna bet?" Ruby asked, giving a cold glare. 

"Ruby, the carpet." Sapphire said, as the carpet started to burn. Ruby then stormed out of the room.

"Nice to see you?" I asked Sapphire. "Nice to see you too Steven, and Y/n." She replied. I changed into my bathing suit and headed for the pool. Y/n said he was gonna stay back and look for a movie to watch. I walked outside to find Ruby walking back and forth next to the pool. 

"Hey ruby, you wanna swim in the pool?" I asked her. "It's fusion, Steven! It's like she doesn't even care. And yet we're supposed to be the bigger gem about it, we're always the bigger gem!" Ruby shouted.

"Why don't you cool off in the pool?" I told her. "I don't need to 'cool off'." Ruby replied. 

"Come on, the water's niiice." I said with a sly smile. Ruby eventually made her way into the pool while pacing back in forth. 

"Hehe, you made a warm spot. AH! A hot spot! BOILING!" I sprinted out of there. "I think I'm gonna head back inside." 

I walked in the room to find ice all around Sapphire and the room, while Y/n was shivering under the covers. "Is e-everything a-alright?" I asked Sapphire while turning blue from the cold.

"I'm...fine." She replied. I quickly walked over to the bed to get under the blankets. "It's a little chilly in here, huh?" Y/n chuckled slightly. 

"Yeah, it is. Find any movies?" I asked him. "Not really, just some basic television." He sighed. 

"I'm...gonna use the bathroom" I said. I walked to the bathroom only to find it frozen. "Uhh Sapphire, the toilet's frozen." I told her. 

"Such is fate." Sapphire said. "Damn, I was hoping to take a shower." Y/n frowned. "Am I fated to pee outside in the grass too?" I asked, while Y/n followed me outside. 

"Also, fate." Sapphire quickly added as I left. We then saw dad pull up in his van.

"Hey you 2!" He greeted us. "Hey dad, how'd it go?" I asked him as he opened the back. 

"Pretty good, he wasn't an axe murderer which was nice. Anyway, I brought dinner." Greg said. "Oh, thank god, I'm starving." Y/n said as his stomach growled. He showed us the box which happened to have square pizza. 

"Square pizza?! What's wrong with this crazy state?" I exclaimed. "Son, there will be a time in your life when you learn to accept all pizza." Greg said, sounding wise. 

After a while, Y/n said, "Thank you for the pizza, Greg! I'm gonna take a walk if that's alright with you." while smiling. "Alright, no problem. Have fun!" Greg said. Then Y/n started to walk off.

"Heh, he's a cute kid. Feel bad for him though, I can't imagine what it was like for him growing up." Greg said. "Yeah..." I said, while blushing madly. Dad looked over to me and saw my flustered face. 

"Is everything alright, Schtu-ball?" Greg asked. "Yeah, I'm alright." I said. 

"Steven, I can tell when something's bothering you. What's going on? You know you can talk to me." He said. "It's just...it's about Y/n. I think...I think I like him, is that bad?" I asked. 

"Woah, that's what's been bothering you? There's nothing wrong with that. He's such a kind and caring kid, the same as you. And if you like him, then I'm all for it." Greg replied, smiling. "Thanks, dad." I said, hugging him. 

*Time skip to the end of the trip*

Ruby and Sapphire finally made up and fused back into Garnet. After that we hopped in the van and went home. Thinking back to what dad said, I was lost in my own thoughts. "I'll tell you at some point Y/n, I promise." I thought to myself while flashing Y/n a big smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.9K 2.5K 29
Okay I could give you a description of the story and get you interested in the book, or you know, you could just read. (Updates are irregular.) Discl...
6.5K 201 21
(I do not own any rights to Steven universe, all credit goes to Rebecca Sugar and Cartoon Network) (This story is much more slice of life in nature...
296K 7.2K 25
💗COMPLETED💗 y/n is Connie's sibling. But unlike Connie, y/n is a gem human hybrid, just like Steven Universe. What does fate have in story for the...
869K 41K 99
When a Young Adult has to suddenly move across the country with his dad he ends up in the town of Beach City. Will his life be a mundane existence or...