ATLAS โ€ข W. MAXIMOFF

By Amarydarcy

"๐’๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ฐ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ก๐ž๐š๐ ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐ฑ๐ข๐ฆ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ˆ'๐ฆ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ง๐๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฒ๐จ... More

Synopsis
Cast
THE AVENGERS
1. *The Fuse is Lit*
2. *Your M.O*
3. *A Warm Light*
4. *Control*
5 - *Blood and Blows*
6 - *Pride*
7 - *A Battle of the Ages*
8 - *Conviction*
9 - *Till the Next Time*
THOR: THE DARK WORLD
10 - *Ignore the Crying Scum*
11 - *Beyond Death and Reason*
12 - *God of Thunder and Dramatic Entrances
13 - *To Live Like Gods*
14 - *Broken Promises*
15 - *Oblivion*
16 - *Be Gentle*
18 - *Midnight Falls*
19 - *Remember me?*
20 - *Heartbeat*
21 - *A Clash of Titans*
22 - *Homerun*
23 - *Stolen Moments*
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
24- *To Recap*
25 - *The Thorny Way to Heaven*
26 - *Disarray*
27 - *Spoke Too Soon*
28 - *Damned If You Do*
29 - *Who's The Real Monster?*
30 - *It Hurts To Remember*
31 - *What A Pair We Make*
32 - *Could you? Would you?*
33 - *Use My Name*
34 - *As The World Caves In Part 1*
35 - *As The World Caves In Part 2*
36 - *So Long, Archer*
37 - *One Step Forward To The Grave*
38 - *Bye, Bye Miss American Pie*
39 - *I've Got A Bad Idea*
40 - *The Pains of History*
41 - *Forgive Me, Little Sister*
42 - *Are You A Hero?*
43 - *Pink Cheeks*
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
44 - *Growing Young*

17 - *Just Wait and See*

6.1K 313 140
By Amarydarcy

Chapter 17 – Just Wait and See

Darkness closed in on her like a plague, wrapping itself around her weightless body. Her throat was raw from screams as the metallic taste of blood pooled in her mouth. Her lungs were begging for respite, burning with pain as the cold bit her skin.

Her darting eyes met nothing but space as it swallowed her whole, and all she could do was wait for oblivion to come to her.

She was choking.

CHOKING.

CHOKING CHOKING CHOKINGCHOKINGCHOKING.

Ophelia gasped awake with a violent surge, leaping off the bed and clutching her throat. Her airways were constricted as she stumbled to the shower adjacent to her room. Her hands wildly searching for the button that turned it on as dark spots clouded her vision. The remnants of her nightmare held her in a vice-like grip.

A steady stream of cold water suddenly rushed out of the shower nozzle, drenching the sweat off her body and shocking her enough to force breath. Ophelia collapsed to her hands and knees as she slowly began breathing again. Remembering the exercises Bill taught her on her first day in Korbin.

In 2, 3, 4, 5.

Out 2, 3, 4, 5.

"I'm better than this. Why the fuck can't I get over it?" She growled under her breath, irrational anger bubbling in her chest.

She'd defeated terrible enemies, saved innocent lives, and fought off gods. If she could do all that why couldn't she go to sleep without suffocating?

"You idiot," Bill called out from the bathroom doorway, making Ophelia's head snap in his direction. "Your fear doesn't make you weak."

"Then why can't I close my eyes without feeling like I'm gonna die?" Ophelia flopped onto her back, letting the cold water hit her face with closed eyes.

"Because like everyone else in this universe you have your own shit to deal with. But you will cope with it. You will get better." Bill confidently said as he crouched next to Ophelia's head. His huge shoulders hunched as he tried to make himself as small as possible.

"I really wanna believe you, Bill." She humourlessly chuckled to herself, the cold-water droplets numbing her face.

"This is totally a velociraptor. You cannot convince me otherwise, it's a prehistoric lizard bird with murder on its mind." Ophelia shrugged as she stood on top of a struggling beast.

"No, I'm naming it Iggy," Bill argued back, holding the animal in a chokehold as he talked to Ophelia. The scaled animal screeching in anger at the assault.

Several weeks have passed since Ophelia first woke up on Korbin. Her first few days on the alien planet were spent in a perpetual cycle of anxiety and impatience. Is mum taking her meds? Did Bruce remember to go to his therapist? Had she already been kicked out of university from her long absence?

Ophelia constantly pestered Daera to tell her when the cargo ship to Asgard would come, and every time she'd be given the same answer.

"When the ship is ready, you will be called Delacour."

In the meantime, all Ophelia could do was worry herself to a stupor. And if her family wasn't taking up her mind, the revelations of her trial certainly would.

How could she not be human?

It began to feel like everything Ophelia had known to be true was slowly unravelling at the seams. After the trial, Lord Aesir gave her the full scans of her DNA. The most accurate assessment of her body was that around a quarter of her DNA was non-human, and she was a close genetic relative to Asgardians.

All Ophelia could focus on was the fact that someone in her family had lied to her. Either they forged her birth certificates and made her think she was blood-related or someone concealed their true heritage.

Even if blood didn't have to mean family, the possibility that Georgiana Delacour wasn't her biological mother caused stabbing pain in Ophelia's heart. All her life she'd thought she was the freak of the family. She had to be, why else would her father hate her more than anyone else? Why else would she have these powers? And the thought of her fears proving true devastated her.

As she spiralled, Bill took it upon himself to distract the forlorn girl by taking her on his low-level missions as his partner.

"Iggy's a cute name, you name a fluffy dog or bunny rabbit Iggy. Not a twelve-foot-tall demonic beast with fangs and spikes that spit acid." She pointed down to the animal as she talked about it, the beast sending her a nasty look as an imprint of her shoe was plastered on its forehead.

"Behave, you wouldn't be in this situation if you hadn't tried to eat a small town." Ophelia scolded the fearsome beast native to Korbin. Inspecting her gauntlets and blowing any errant dust off of them.

"Exactly! Look how cute he is. Who's the most adorable baby in the world? Yes, you are!" Bill cooed to Iggy as it struggled even more to get out of his chokehold. Ophelia tilted her head in bemusement.

"Okay, so we're just gonna ignore the Jeffree Star looking dinosaur using your arm as a chew toy?" Ophelia asked before quickly knocking out the animal and jumping from its head. She landed in a crouched position in front of Bill as he too knocked out the beast in his arms.

"How's your flying going?" Bill asked as he swung both unconscious beasts onto his shoulders.

"I've finally stopped crashing into mountains when I change directions, but sharp turns still suck," Ophelia replied as she looked at the horizon, the soft pink sky slowly darkening as the planet's twin suns disappeared.

"You gotta admit, it's kinda funny when you do that." Bill snickered as Ophelia lightly shoved his arm.

"Surprisingly, face planting into solid rock stings like a bitch." She sarcastically drawled. "But at least I'm getting better."

Without warning, a shrill beeping came from both Ophelia's pouches and Bills comms unit. The communicator that was given by Daera replaced her phone since it was inconveniently shattered in the vacuum of space. They both shot confused looks at one another before answering their calls, a holographic projection of the centurion appearing.

"Get your asses back to base, we have a situation at hand." Daera abruptly announced, not even bothering to greet her.

"And His Lordship has requested to meet you both within the hour. Do not be late." Before Ophelia could make any attempt to reply to the no-nonsense centurion, she had already cut the communication line.

"Hello to you too." The brawler mumbled to herself before turning back to an equally bemused Bill. "I'm taking the fast route Billy, good luck with those velociraptors."

"He's called Iggy!" Bill yelled out as Ophelia kicked off from the ground and shot up to the air.

Her body streamlined to the ground as she steadily rose. Cutting through clouds and rising above any obstacles with powerful precision. She missed home more than anything but in the last few weeks, Ophelia gained an appreciation for the beauty of Korbin. The majestic red and gold mountains edged the horizon like the frames of a portrait. Below her, farms stretched as far as the eye could see; the soil a luminous blue as crops sprouted from the ground.

Korbin's infrastructure was a mix of either sky cities that used anti-gravitational tech to stay floating in the air or ground-built settlements. It was easy to see where the rich and the poor lived in the alien planet, but despite its societal flaws Ophelia couldn't help but remain in awe.

Ophelia felt the wind caressing her face as she soared through the air, her black and gold armour glinting from the light of the fading suns. As the planet's Capital came into view Ophelia was suddenly struck by how quiet everything was. Since her arrival, she'd gotten used to the chaotic hustle and bustle of the Capital city.

But for some reason it was silent.

Korbin's most impressive defence was the impenetrable shield that encompassed the entire planet. The only way to enter or leave the planet was through a single heavily guarded entrance, known as the Checkpoint, which ferried a huge amount of traffic at all hours.

At the moment, it was completely void of any civilian transport, replaced by the armoured spacecraft of Korbin's Legion. Security had been raised dramatically in the few hours Ophelia had been gone and it sent a wave of unease through her.

"The hell is going on?" Ophelia muttered to herself as she landed in front of the Legion's main base, quickly marching in and searching for Daera.

The eerie silence from before was replaced by a borderline panicked buzz from the soldiers dashing around her. A mix of commands directed to different platoons clashed to form a symphony of discord, voices all shrieking and bellowing and roaring around her.

Ophelia lightly jogged to a mildly stressed-looking Daera, hearing the end of her instructions as she barked orders to a group of armoured soldiers, all in formation and armed to the teeth.

"Keep posted in the residential areas of the city and remain vigilant until further orders are given." She gravely ordered, the dozen or so Korbinites promptly saluted before marching to complete their assignment.

"What's happening Daera?" Ophelia questioned as she matched pace with the fast walking centurion.

"The High Council declared a state of emergency half an hour ago, we're being placed on a war footing as we speak." The centurion frantically taps on a communicator as she walks, ignoring Ophelia's dropped jaw.

"War?! I was gone for two hours. I wasn't even that far away, how the hell?" Ophelia raised her eyebrows in astonishment, looking out of a window she saw scores of fighter jets whoosh into the air.

"Don't look at me, I'm as clueless as you are." Daera held her hands up in mock surrender, "All I know is most of the Capital is being evacuated into bunkers as we spe- Hey! Get back to your station Frontman or I'll tear your spine out of your ass!"

"Sheesh, you have a traumatising kink or something?" Ophelia muttered, wincing at the mental image Daera's threat gave her.

"The only way to get a soldier to do anything is to scare them shitless." Daera lectured as she directed a group of soldiers in another direction. "Haven't I taught you anything?"

"Yeah, torture techniques I never even knew existed." The French fighter mumbled as she side-eyed the centurion, a weary look in her eyes. If there was one thing she learnt on Korbin, it was Daera should never be crossed. For the sake of your physical wellbeing.

"Anyway, get your ass to the command post. Lord Aesir will update you on the situation." Daera stopped in front of Ophelia, a grave look passing over her face. "I don't know how bad it will get Delacour. Keep safe and don't take any unnecessary risks."

"Right back at you, Madame." Ophelia softly said, a slight smile on her face as she tried to conceal the anxiety bubbling in her stomach.

"Also, your project's ready so, you might wanna get on that," Daera added before waltzing off to a group of fighter pilots awaiting instruction, Ophelia looking back at her retreating form.

She quickly took out her pack of cards that thankfully survived their time in space and shuffled them. The cards a blur as her eyes followed the frantically racing soldiers. She'd defeated armies and saved her world from destruction before. But Ophelia had a team behind her back for that, and right now on the brink of a war, she was alone.

It didn't need to be said how daunting the task ahead of her was.

With furrowed brows, she strode through a designated corridor and made her way to the workshop assigned for Daera's platoon. Prototype weapons and armours decorated the walls as she weaved her way through worktables. She stopped in front of a single workstation; her project's dyeing process finally complete.

The glass cradle whirled open to reveal a dark gold cape.

Made from the very same coat Bill gave her after her trial, the cape was almost fluid in its appearance. The project started as a way to help control her flying better, with capes known to aid in aerodynamics. The material was firm at the touch but still flexible enough to move comfortably. In the middle of the cape, a stylised A replaced the crest of Korbin.

If her team couldn't fight beside her, she'd at least carry them with her in spirit.

Outside the command post, an atmosphere of dread replaced the panicked mayhem of before. Through a window, Ophelia could see high-ranking officials furiously whispering back and forth, pointing at holographic maps wildly.

She took a deep breath before striding through the room, her new cape billowing behind her as she marched in the direction of Lord Aesir's war council chambers. Her eyes zoning in on the nervous figure of Bill waiting for her.

"Everything's gone to shit, and you had time to put on your cape." He muttered to her with forced amusement, his voice shaking with uncertainty.

"If we're gonna die, I might as well look cute." She muttered back to him. Craning her neck to look him in the eye, Ophelia shot Bill a quick wink for comfort before sauntering into the war council chambers with confidence.

The seated form of Lord Aesir looked back with a mild look of amusement from behind his desk.

"Thank you for your prompt arrival." He drawled from his seat, "I see you've been made aware of the basics."

"Only that we're preparing for war, My Lord," Bill answered, his back pin-straight as he stood to attention. Any playfulness gone from his face and replaced by professionalism.

"Then explanations are required." Lord Aesir stood from his chair, showing images of the planet from space.

"Less than an hour ago, sentries confirmed what we'd been fearing for months. Thanos has his sights set on Korbin." The Lord Chancellor relayed his information while Ophelia narrowed her eyes at the images. From what she could see, dozens of foreign spacecraft swooped around the planet's defences. Darting in and out of range as if they were testing Korbin's military response.

"They're scouts," Ophelia announced, earning a nod from Aesir.

"He's toying with us. Waiting for the opportune moment to launch a full assault." He growled under his breath, his cheek twitching in aggravation. "As soon as Thanos' vanguard enters our solar system, he will do everything in his power to get through our shield."

As Aesir pulled up the schematics to Korbin's only entrance, Daera walked into the war council chambers. Beside her walked an important-looking soldier, her armour a deep blue and decorated with medals. Ophelia assumed this was the Legion's General in front of her.

"Is there any information on Thanos' tactics you can give us?" The General looked to Ophelia expectantly.

"I've never fought him directly, only the Chitauri he sent with Loki. To be honest, the worst part of that battle was the Leviathans." Ophelia crossed her arms as she thought back to the Battle of New York.

"That right there is our weakest point defence wise." Daera declared abruptly, pointing to the circular ring base that controlled traffic in and out of Korbin. "Our shield is controlled entirely by the Checkpoint, Thanos cannot be allowed to breach its security. If he takes the Checkpoint, he shuts down our defences and our world will be swarmed."

"Which is why I'm assigning you a mission, Miss Delacour," Aesir announced, drawing looks of shock from everyone.

"My Lord-" The General started to protest.

"We are a strong people, General Tavia, we have repelled some of the greatest empires of the galaxy from taking our home. We can handle his army. But none of us holds the power to fight off a Titan." He explained with a grave expression.

"None but me." Ophelia finished a pensive look on her face.

"You control the very stars that gave us life, I don't think you realise just how much power you truly hold." Aesir thoughtfully said, walking to stand closer to Ophelia.

"Your mission, should you accept, is to join Centurion Daera's platoon in protecting the Checkpoint. Any efforts to infiltrate it will be thwarted. Any attempts to shut down the shield will be stopped." He grimly ordered.

"And any encounter with Thanos or his children will end in your victory."

Meanwhile in Deep Space

"Father, the Korbinites have amassed their forces against us." Nebula revealed as she hurried into the throne room, eager to impress.

"So, it begins." Thanos' rumbling voice echoed in the cold room as he sat on his throne.

"Out of all the empires and regimes that rule the galaxies, Korbin is the one planet that poses a challenge to us father," Gamora announced nonchalantly, earning a scowl from Nebula.

"Indeed daughter, their fleets remain unmatched. Their defences impenetrable and their warriors formidable." Thanos complimented as he rose from his throne, collecting his double-sided blade from its place on the wall. "Precisely why they must fall."

"Collect your brother and wait for my signal. Korbin can't be allowed to become a threat to our plans." The Mad Titan ordered, a slight frown forming on his face as he prepared for war.

A/N: I'll try and upload chapters more frequently as we reach the Battle of Korbin arc. Nebula and Gamora are here now, my favourite intergalactic psychopaths. Keep a look out for the next update, you might be surprised at what happens. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317K 9.2K 18
Vampires exist in the world of the Avengers. What happens when the Avengers find a vampire recruit? And what happens when the both famous and infamou...
19.7K 702 30
. "Eyes purple, deep and galactic and I'm going down L...
165K 3.3K 13
โ โ™ช ๐…๐ž๐ž๐ฅ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ž๐ฒ๐ž๐ฌ, ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ฒ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐ž. ๐ƒ๐จ๐ง '๐ญ ๐›๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก๐ฒ, ๐ญ๐š๐ค๐ž ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐ฅ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ž. ๐†๐ž๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฏ๐ข๐›๐ž, ๐ข๏ฟฝ...
301K 7.4K 24
"i don't wanna be your friend, i wanna kiss your lips." in which two enemies turn into lovers. {wanda maximoff x fem! oc} {BOOK 1 IN THE SCARLET LOV...