Avengers: Whatever it Takes

By LuminousAvenger

The unthinkable has happened. The Avengers lost. Thanos used the Infinity Stones to bring the balance he felt... More

Like an Angel Passing Through My Room (TRIGGER WARNING)
A Reunion and a Plan
Hollow Vengeance
Support Group
Building a House
The King's Counsel
Five Years
Tony's Retreat
Worth a Try
"No Man is a Failure Who Has Friends"
Don't Give Me Hope
Figuring Things Out
Let's Do Our Homework
Reassembled
The Sanctum Sanctorum
Morag
Back to Asgard
New York Minute
Obtaining the Orb
Fumbled
Mirror Match
What it Means to be a Hero
No Time to Mourn
Another Snap
Ground Zero
A Call to Arms
"You've Come Back to Me"
The Universe Fights Back
A Moment in Time
The Heart Stone
Aftermath
Home
Goodbye For Now, Old Friend
Return to Sender Pt. 2
Confession (NSFW, Trigger Warning)
The Most Beautiful Thing
Team Meeting
Adventure Awaits
Epilogue

The Last Line of Defense

264 24 1
By LuminousAvenger

The moment the others had confirmed that the snap must have been successful, Thor was poised to take flight to Wakanda for Dean. It was only the massive explosion that had halted him. Now, standing among smoldering rubble, he leaned over Jack's prone body, having used his own as a shield to protect him.

"Thor," Jack gasped. He sat up and succumbed to a coughing fit.

Thor helped the man sit up and eyed him worriedly. There were no visible injuries. The Raptor suit was quite sturdy in this way. Still, concern for Dean's father saw Thor checking him for bodily harm all the same.

"I'm alright," Jack finally managed to say. "The others?"

Thor looked ahead and watched as Tony began to rouse Steve. No one else was in what was left of the room with them. The ceiling began to collapse and Thor quickly caught it with his hands before shoving it aside. Once this danger had passed, he walked toward the jagged opening that granted him a view of the outside, obscured only by smoke.

"You lose this again, I'm keeping it," Tony muttered from behind him.

Thor looked over his shoulder, watching as Tony handed Steve his shield.

"What happened?" The Super Soldier asked.

"We messed with time. Time messed back," Tony explained.

"Where are the others?" Steve asked.

"I read life signs, maybe 800 feet down, but it's hard to tell," Tony reported.

Thor listened to their conversation only half heartedly as his view began to clear. His expression shifted from a neutral one to one of total hostility at what he saw.

Thanos was sitting on a rock, a large sword nearby. His bearing suggested he was patiently waiting for something. Waiting for them. The others approached Thor and stood with him to take in the sight.

"What the hell is he doing?" Tony asked.

Thor shook his head. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"That's the one who killed my family," Jack spoke angrily.

Thor put a hand on Jack's shoulder. "Not alone, Jack. We face him together."

The four of them stared at Thanos for a long while, taking on the sight of him. Then, as if he knew he was being observed, Thanos looked at them, his expression unmoved.

"Son of a bitch," Steve muttered. "Where are the Stones?"

Tony gestured at the massive rubble around them. "Somewhere under all of this. All I know is he doesn't have them."

"Then we keep it that way," Steve decided.

Thor stared at Thanos, taking on the placid expression and body language. He knew they meant only one thing. "You know this must be a trap."

Tony's armor deployed and his palms began to glow. "Don't think I care."

Jack activated his armor as well, completely encasing himself within it and preparing himself for battle.

"Just so we're all in agreement," Thor spoke in a calm tone as he reached out with both hands. Mjolnir and Stormbreaker simultaneously slapped into both palms. The intimidating crackle of thunder erupted as lightning struck the Asgardian. In this burst of unbridled natural fury, Thor's clothing tore away to reveal his cape and armor. Even his beard and hair were swept up in the traditional Asgardian braids that his kind had worn into war for time immemorial. He looked to his comrades, his eyes aglow with lightning. "Let's kill him properly this time."

The four of them walked out of the wreckage, approaching Thanos's position.  The titan contemplated them, a smirk appearing on his face.

"You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Right back to me."

Tony approached Thanos warily, as if he were entering the lions' den. Thor, Steve and Jack fanned out, moving to surround the lone menace.

"I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive," Thanos explained. "But you've shown me that's impossible. Life clings to the past with bloody fingernails. As long as there are those who remember what was," He paused and then looked at Thor. "As long as lovers are parted, there will always be those who cannot appreciate what they have been given. They will fight."

Tony stood in defiance. "Yeah. We're all kinds of stubborn like that, aren't we?"

Thanos shrugged his massive shoulders. "If I'm being honest, I have to tell you that I'm thankful. I'm thankful for your actions. They've taught me a valuable lesson." He paused to pick up his helmet, securing it to his head. "Thanks to your lot, I know what I have to do. I will shred this universe down to its last atom. And when that work is completed, I will start anew. The Stones will aid me in creating a new world. One where the living do not question what they have lost; they will only know what I have given them. and they will be grateful for it."

Steve shook his head in disgust. "A universe born out of blood."

Thanos looked at him and regarded him with mild interest. "But they will never know it," he replied before drawing his blade back and standing to his full height. "None of you will survive to tell them. Your journeys end here."

The four men looked to each other, wordlessly conveying their preparation. Then, in a burst of warrior's rage, Thor gave the battle cry and charged forward. With his allies at his side, he led the charge to Thanos. The opposing forces collided and the effects were instantaneous. The desolate crater was transformed into the site of a furious and desperate battle. Each of the four Avengers brought with them his own approach to battle, and Thanos found himself both challenged and amused as he met their attacks with his own. Both sides knew that this battle would decide the fate of the universe, and neither was prepared to yield.

"Hit me, Point Break!" Tony shouted.

Taking his cue, Thor smashed hammer and ax together, firing a massive streak of lightning at his ally. The surge of power invigorated Tony's suit, overloading his power levels to a staggering level. Focusing on Thanos, he unleashed this upon the titan. The thick beam of power collided with Thanos, but the enemy was quicker. He raised his massive sword, propelling the blades to deflect the onslaught. Still, the force was enough to shove Thanos back, his heels digging into earth.

Jack raced forward and aimed the gauntlets of his Raptor suit, unleashing a stream of gunfire at Thanos's side. The titan snarled and pivoted his body, snatching Tony as he closed in and attempted to take advantage of Thanos's distraction. Thor threwMjolnir up into the air and swung Stormbreaker, batting it toward the titan. Closed in by his enemies, Thanos spun around, using Tony as a shield. Mjolnir struck the armored Avenger and he and the hammer went flying across the crater, kicking up debris in their wake.

Jack raced forward, refusing to let up his attack. Gunfire clattered into Thanos's armor as the titan maneuvered to shield himself from the attack. Steve slid across the earth, smashing his shield into Thanos's legs as he advanced on Jack. Unhindered, Thanos swatted Steve aside with a backhand, throwing him into Jack and sending both men to the ground.

"Now, Asgardian!" Thanos taunted. "Show me all of that heartbreak!"

Thor barreled into him, driving Stormbreaker in his direction in an effort to cleave him. Thanos deflexted the attack with his blade, then shouldered the Asgardian, forcing him through a nearby wall of debris.

"I thought you'd be formidable, king of Asgard!" Thanos laughed as he jumped on top of him and began to rain blow upon blow onto his face. "It seems heartbreak has only weakened you!"

Thor reached out, summoning Stormbreaker to his hand but Thanos quickly grabbed the handle before it could touch Thor's palm. Smiling maniacally, he moves so that the sharp edge was hovering above Thor's chest.

With death closing in at the hand of his own weapon, Thor suddenly recalled that dark morning five years ago when he'd contemplated using Stormbreaker to take his own life. His entire being rebelled immediately. No. He would not die today. He would fight. Pushing back against Thanos's hands, he slowly gained leverage, granting him some space from the ax.

"You're not strong enough," Thanos reminded him. "The Thor of the past might have been, but you aren't."

Then, to Thor's surprise, Mjolnir hurled itself into Thanos's hands, throwing Stormbreaker from his grip. Before Thor could marvel at this development, he watched as Mjolnir suddenly flew backward and slammed into the waiting hand of Steve.

Realization dawned on Thor and his bushes, bloody lips smiled. Long ago he might have resented another wielding his weapon. But Steve was his brother in arms. He felt only deep pride and happiness now. "I knew it," Thor grunted.

Angry at this development, Thanos drove his boot into Thor's face before turning to take on Steve. Steve advanced, twirling the hammer until they collided. He swung the weapon upward, cracking Thanos's jaw with a deafening pop that sent him flying up into the air and then crashing to the ground. Before his enemy could stand, Steve used the hammer to summon a torrent of lightning. The blast struck Thanos's vulnerable body and Steve capitalized on the damage. Hefting his shield, he tossed it at Thanos, who quickly ducked the attack. Steve threw Mjolnir as well, and it collided with the shield, ricocheting backward into the small of Thanos's back. Steve reclaimed the hammer and struck his knee, staggering him. Leaping onto his back, he uses the hammer to attempt to strangle the titan, but he simply threw his head back, catching Steve's chin and knocking him off.

"Enough!" Thanos roared angrily.

Steve rolled backward and snatched the shield up. He tossed it up and struck it with Mjolnir, propelling it toward Thanos. The sharp edge hit him in the throat before flying back to Steve's hand.

"It's enough when I say it's enough!" Steve roared.

Thanos recovered from the attack just as Steve was on him again, the hammer aiming to strike him in the chest. Thanos sidestepped and grabbed Steve's wrist, head butting him as hard as he could and sending him to the ground. Mjolnir fell to the ground.

With an amused smile, Thanos tore off his helmet- which had been dented in n the battle- and began to swing his word with efficient strikes at the downed Avenger. Each blow was more aggressive, more powerful than the last. It took everything Steve had just to deflect the attacks. Before his very eyes, the vibranium shield was being hacked to pieces. With one final attack, Thanos caught Steve with the flat of his blade, striking him hard enough to throw him far across the field where he landed in a heap.

Thanos advanced, regarding Steve with reluctant admiration. "In all my years of conquest. Of violence and slaughter. You know, it was never personal. Never."

Steve stood up, his body swaying. Through hazy vision, he watched as Thanos's army began to arrive behind him. The vision was horrifying. Thousands of creatures, among them Thanos's children, arrived at their master's back. The odds were impossible.

"But I'll tell you now," Thanos continued. "That the things I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying, little planet."

More ships descended from the clouds, among them the serpentine leviathans previously seen on New York.

"I'm going to enjoy it. Very, very much," Thanos promised.

Steve shook his head to clear his vision and tightened the straps of the shield against his wrist despite its fragmented state. Despite the odds, overwhelming as they may be, he stood to his feet.

Though his aim was to destroy this human's world, the warrior in Thanos couldn't help but pity Steve. It might have been sad to see this human so broke yet so determined. But Thanos had no room for pity in his dark heart. There was only The Conquest.

"You are alone, soldier," Thanos reminded him. "There is no victory for you today. Lay down your arms. Surrender."

Steve's brain conjured up images of his friends- his family- and he knew he couldn't. He wouldn't. "As long...as even one of us stands..."

Thanos waved a hand. "A noble sentiment. But useless. Even a fool knows when he's beaten."

Steve shook his head. "I can do this...all day," he promised before beginning to advance upon Thanos and his army.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 783 25
In the aftermath of Ultron's attempt to cleanse the earth of all life, the Avengers are under close scrutiny due to their role in Ultron's creation...
6.9K 579 38
When a team of villains- led by Dr. Doom- twists reality in their favor, the Avengers and their friends are thrown into an alternate world that is de...
5.8K 338 27
Book 2 // On the run from the government, Taylor and Steve begin to navigate life together. Until, Thanos. He threatens to wipe out half of the unive...
38.1K 955 31
It's been five years since the snap. Five years since Thanos decimated half the universe. Attempting to get back some sort of normality, Steve and Fr...