Sweeney & Bowen

Galing kay uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... Higit pa

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Seven: Homecoming
Chapter Eight: What Team?
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: Quinceaรฑero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama
Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies

1.6K 52 25
Galing kay uninspiredachiever

(Bianca: in the auditorium, at the piano)

"I keep thinking about how Carlos mumbled "Too far," when Miss Jenn talked about the kiss. I need to ask him now that I think that we're friends?" in confusion, she tilts her head while uncertainty crosses her face.

She shrugs it off and rolls her eyes, "I don't know. I just know that he and Miss Jenn are planning something, and they didn't want me to know about it."

"Come on. Let's try again." Carlos instructs the blindfolded dancers.

I cross my arms and lean against the doorframe, watching in amusement as the dancers struggle to tackle Carlos' insane techniques.

"Take five?" I suggest, walking further into the bomb shelter.

Carlos turns around, his brows furrowed, "Bianca?" The dancers immediately take off their blindfolds, looking relieved.

I blink with a false concerned expression, "Carlos, did you kidnap these poor souls?"

"Hey, I'm just showing them what it's like to be dedicated dancers." He turned his head to shout that, and the dancers shake their heads in shame.

"Well, I think they got it." I smile teasingly, while the dancers walk past us to take a break.

With a small smile, Carlos playfully shakes his head, "What's up, Bianca?"

"Carlos, I keep thinking about something you said.." I pause for the dramatic, crossing my arms.

Confusion crosses his face, "Okay?" urging me to continue.

"The first day of rehearsal: Miss Jenn told us about the kiss, you said, "Too far." I pause, he nods along, "What was too far? What are you guys planning?"

He sighs, caving in, "It's no secret that you and Ricky hate each other. But, Miss Jenn thought he was your ex."

Taken aback, disgust crosses my face, "Ew! Why?!"

"Hm, I don't know.." Carlos sarcastically ponders, "Maybe the hearts in your eyes during his audition!"

Confusion crosses my face, putting my hands on my hips, "What?! I was relating to Ricky's speech because I was upset about EJ."

"I'm just saying.." He protests, shrugging, "Miss Jenn saw a connection between you two, so she went with it. Then, after she found out that you two can't even look at each other without glaring, she thought that a kiss would bring that connection back out."

I roll my eyes and scoff, "Two things. Kinda weird." I start, he shrugs in slight agreement.

"Secondly, Ricky and I hate each other, we're never gonna fool the audience into believing that we're in love. I need to quit the show."

Carlos rolls his eyes, "Bianca, I know you want to quit because of EJ, but I'm not gonna let you do that. You've come too far!"

I shake my head, sadness crossing my face, "I can't, Carlos."

"Yes, you can!" Carlos encourages, "And the only way you're gonna fool the audience, is if you actually get to know Ricky. You might have more in common than you think." He teases, winking.

I shake my head as my eyes narrow, sensing his teasing, "Ignoring the wink,"

Carlos throws his hands up in surrender, "I also sensed tension! That fight? You could cut it with a knife."

Shock crosses my face, taken aback and disgusted, "No way! Ricky is a skater boy, who gives up on things too easily. We would never work."

"I'm sorry, who did I just have to talk out of giving up on the musical?" He teases.

I gasp, offended, "Don't compare me to him!"

Carlos chuckles gently, playfully shaking his head, "I'm just saying! Go find him, and ask him to take you home."

I hum jestingly, as if to show him that I am incapable of doing so, "I brought my sister-in-law's car, so.."

He scoffs and glances up, "Take him home, duh!"

I cross my arms, practically pouting, "Carlos! I don't like Ricky."

"Well," He starts, knowingly, "You have months of rehearsal with him. So, you can either make amends by handling your guys' childish feud privately, or stay miserable for the rest of the school year, because you have to kiss the guy you hate."

I roll my eyes and scoff, but I know Carlos is right.

"Plus, remember earlier, the "being too comfortable" thing? This could be your chance to actually get to know someone first."

My brows raise in surprise, feeling taken aback and insulted.

"It worked with us, though." Carlos went on, without even noticing my reaction as his eyes are on the ceiling in thought, "But, I don't think you're gonna have much luck like that with anyone else."

Carlos and I do, in fact, share a unique bond, in my opinion, so I am happy that he feels it, too. The corners of my mouth quirk up, feeling relieved.

This new friendship means a lot to me, so I took Carlos' advice and went in search of Ricky to offer him a ride home. Only for Carlos.

I did not need to search far; Ricky was talking boastfully under his breath when I spotted him heading downstairs. He nearly bumped into me in the process.

I had to restrain myself from snapping as annoyance swept through me. I stepped back and forced a grin, "Hey!"

When Ricky saw me, his joyful expression changed to one of disappointment, as if I were a cloud ruining a sunny day.

"Sorry." Before pushing past me to depart, he muttered an apology for nearly running into me.

"No," I dismiss, following him, "I want to talk to you."

"What's up?" He questions, his features clouded by confusion.

I shrug, forcing myself to respond politely, "Do you have a ride home? 'Cause I can take you home."

Ricky stopped in his tracks, opening and closing his mouth but no words come out, as confusion crosses his face.

His eyes narrow, trying to figure out my intentions, "I'm sorry? Was I right about you going soft on me?" With a teasing smile.

Despite being irritated, I restrain myself from snapping by pressing my lips together, "Bowen, look. Carlos thinks it's a good idea if we get to know each other, so.."

"So?" He urged me to continue, after glancing around.

I shrugged, wondering why he seemed confused, which only made me angrier, "Do you need a ride home or not?" firmly.

He scoffs and rolls his eyes, "Get to the punchline, Sweeney."

I cross my arms, "It's your lucky day, Bowen. There isn't one."

Ricky ponders, before sighing as he caves in, "Fine."

I force a tight-lipped smile, "Whatever. Where's your backpack?"

"In my locker." He sarcastically answers, stepping toward the hall.

"Go get it, I'll stay here." I assure, turning my back to walk away.

Ricky stopped in his tracks, "Sweeney," while placing a hand on my shoulder to prevent me from leaving.

I glance at his hand on my shoulder and turn around, baffled by the gesture, with a look of confusion on my face.

He appeared to be skeptical of me, tilting his head to the side and narrowing his eyes.

I glance around, confused by his reaction, "What?" My tone harsh.

"Will you?" He sarcastically pressed, making me roll my eyes.

"Yeah, no, I'm gonna skip out after offering you a ride." I sarcastically remark.

Ricky refused to budge; he mockingly smiled and moved his hand to hold it out toward the hallway for me to walk first, "Gabriella?"

I was taken aback by the gesture, because I remembered how earlier, I wanted EJ to let me walk in front of him, and felt horrible and embarrassed that he didn't. Ricky, however, is a gentleman despite hating me.

Given the confusion on his face, as he stared at me, I am concerned Ricky notices my taken aback expression, so I raise my brows with fake enthusiasm and nod appreciatively, "Troy,"

He reaches me as I am headed toward the lockers, and we proceed side by side.

************************
"You know, I'm surprised you have a car." Ricky admits, settling into a comfortable position on the passenger side in the white SUV.

Starting the car, my eyes narrow in confusion, "Whatever. I'm not even gonna ask how that makes sense. But, it's not mine, it's my sisters-in-law's."

He nods, "Makes sense."

I roll my eyes, ignoring his remark, "Can I have the directions to your house?" I fix my gaze on the road as I exit school grounds.

"Actually, can we make one stop first?" He pleads, with a small smile.

At a stop sign, I scoff and look over at him, "Where?"

Ricky shrugs, meeting my gaze, "I skipped lunch, I was kinda busy."

I roll my eyes, driving off, "Sounds like your problem."

"Carlos made each other our problems." He reminds.

My eyes narrow, "That makes no sense."

"Yes, it does. Carlos made you take me home. He's making us hang out. So, we're each other's problem for the afternoon. How does that not make sense?" He snaps.

I roll my eyes, "I'm not spending my afternoon with you, Bowen. Just pick somewhere."

He scoffs, taken aback, "I'm not spending my afternoon with you, Sweeney."

"No, I'm not spending my afternoon with you. You're the one who got into my car." I shot back.

"You're the one who offered. And, I thought this wasn't your car?" He taunts.

"It's not! Can you just tell me where you want to go?!" I exclaim.

"Just drive around, I'll point out a place." I could tell he was enjoying this because of the way he shrugs and smiles smugly.

(Ricky: in the kitchen doorframe, at his house)

"We drove around for, like, ten minutes after that...in complete silence. I'm using her as an escape. I don't wanna go home because of what's going on with my parents, and I also don't want to obsess over what Nini's gonna say to my voicemail. For the first time in months, things are going great between Nini and I." He boasts.

"I've been driving for over 10 minutes. Have you made up your mind?" I question.

"Nope." After shaking his head, Ricky shrugs, "I'm guessing this isn't what Carlos had in mind."

I nod in agreement, huffing a laugh, "Right."

Then, I turned my head to the side briefly, as genuine curiosity overtakes me, "So, how are things between you and Nini?

The corner of his mouth quirks up in a smug smirk, "Great. You and EJ?"

"Amazing!" I blurt, he nods in acknowledgment.

(Bianca: at her house, in the kitchen.)

"He knows that I know he's lying, right? And...he knows that I'm lying? Because obviously if things were great, Nini and EJ wouldn't still be together." She huffs, "But asking that, somehow killed the weird tension between us."

I shake my head, "I'm not your chauffeur, Bowen. Make up your mind." My tone was playfully teasing.

Ricky throws his hands up in playful surrender, "I don't know yet!"

"Yeah, you aren't necessarily the best at making decisions." I tease.

"Hey, I'm just picky." He defends himself, smiling.

I chuckle gently, "No, you just can't make decisions for yourself. Just like how I'm guessing me asking if you needed a ride, was the biggest decision of your life, by how long it took you to answer."

He nods in fake agreement, playfully rolling his eyes, "Absolutely. Hey, let me decide things on my own time, instead of having no regard for people's feelings, per usual."

Despite the humor, that felt personal and harsh, causing me to feel insulted as my grin rapidly disappears, and I then huff out a false chuckle, "That was a little hash."

His eyes narrow, "Wow, Sweeney. I didn't take you as the sensitive type." He teases.

"Sensitive?!" I exclaim, defensively.

"And defensive." He adds, nodding as if making a mental note after realizing I am upset.

"I am not defensive!"

His brows furrow, puzzled, "Woah. Calm down."

"Wow!" I sarcastically exclaim, "Now who has no regard for others' feelings."

He huffs sarcastically, "Seriously, me? You said no one wants me in the show, and that I'm wasting everybody's time!"

"The truth hurts, Bowen. You needed to hear it." I shot back.

"Where are we?!" He exclaims, taking notice of the unfamiliar road.

"You got us lost!" I raise my voice.

"Oh, because I'm the one driving?" He sarcastically shot back, matching my loud tone.

I scoff and roll my eyes, "Bowen, you distracted me, I was trying to look for a restaurant..for you!"

"No, you got distracted because you took your eyes off the road...after I called you out for being sensitive." He blurts, running the latter altogether.

"I am not sensitive!"

He mockingly nods, "Right."

"We're lost!" I exclaim.

He shakes his head in shame, "How do you not know where we are?"

I scoff, "Do I look like I know everything?"

Ricky throws his hands up in defeat, "You act like you know everything." He shot back without missing a beat.

I roll my eyes, "So, like, do you realize that we're gonna die because we're in the middle of nowhere?"

"We're not in the middle of nowhere! Wow, you're overdramatic, too?!" He provokes.

"I'm none of those things, Bowen! But do you wanna know what you are?"

"Enlighten me." He sarcastically shot back.

"You're a know-it-all, who thinks that he can do no wrong. Well, guess what, the reason why we're in this car together, is because you did Nini wrong. You can't admit that you don't love her back!"

"That's not true!" He grows defensive.

"Can you just get out?!" I exclaim, in the same tone.

He sarcastically huffs, "Oh, on the side of the road?"

"At that the damn Café!" I snap, pulling into the parking lot.

"Oh," He mutters, finally taking in his surroundings.

"Don't tell Carlos." I blurt, tone warning.

"I won't." He made a promise in an irritated tone, before taking his bag and skateboard, then leaving the car without another word.

***************************************************

I was studying the script, walking down the direction to the bomb shelter, when Principal Gutierrez's voice boomed, "Ms. Sweeney, my office. Now." which caused me to roll my eyes and throw my head back, in both defeat and annoyance.

That brings me to where I am right now, firmly protesting in my defense while seated across from him, with my legs flooded beneath me to sit cross-legged.

"For the millionth time, there is nothing wrong with how I'm dressed."

"Ms. Sweeney, your outfit is extremely inappropriate. You've been in detention, which students have named after you, and your mom has been called many, many times because you won't follow a simple dress code, or even sit politely!" He reminds, motioning to my position.

(Bianca: in front of the Principal's office)

"It's true. But I don't see anything wrong with how I dress. Usually, my mom leaves before me, so I can dress however I want...until she finds out when I get in trouble. I can't let her find out this time, because she'll blame my actions on the musical, and actually refuse to allow me to take part in it this time."

"I'll call your mom, so she can bring you appropriate clothes." He informs, reaching for the phone.

"Wait!" I blurt, making him grow confused as he halts. "I have a jacket in my locker, I'll cover up, okay? Just...please don't call my mom." I plead.

He sighs, shaking his head in shame, "Go get it."

I nod quickly, "Okay."

Once I am out of the office, I run through the hall to the bomb shelter. They are rehearsing Stick To The Status Quo. Gina just finished as I ran in.

"Everybody hold!" Miss Jenn announces, taking notice of me.

"I'm so sorry! I need help." I blurt, catching my breath.

"What? What's wrong?" Miss Jenn questions, her tone filled with worry.

Ashlyn grows confused, "Is everything okay?"

Carlos huffs a laugh, "Were you being chased?" He sarcastically questions.

"I got in trouble for my outfit."

The drama teacher gasps, "Are they sending you to you?!" She refers to how detention is named after me.

"I need, like, a jacket or something." I blurt.

"Ricky can help!" Carlos beams. Ricky's brows furrow in question, and I roll my eyes.

(Bianca: in front of the Principal's office)

She shakes her head in shame, "I told Carlos about how horrible the car ride with Ricky was. Now he's determined to make Ricky and I best friends."

"Or Miss Jenn." I blurt, with a nervous grin.

"Or Ricky." Carlos remonstrates, through gritted teeth. Our eyes are locked, while his head motions in the direction of Ricky.

My eyes widen, shaking my head in disagreement, while giving Carlos a warning look.

"Or Ashlyn!" I blurt, looking at her with hopeful eyes.

She nervously smiles, "I didn't bring a jacket. Sorry, B."

Ricky shakes his head in shame, walking up to me while taking off his denim, sherpa-lined jacket.

"Or-" I start, but Ricky cuts me off.

"Just take my jacket, and shut up." He fumed, holding the jacket out.

"You shut up!" I shot back, snatching the jacket.

"All right, you two!" Miss Jenn blurts, growing annoyed with our arguing.

"Thanks, Carlos." I grin, mockingly complying.

Disappointment crossed Carlos' face, as he shakes his head in shame.

"You're late." Ricky scolds, ignoring it.

My mouth goes agape in shock, "You were late to the auditions! I was at the principal's office, at least I have an excuse."

Ricky opened his mouth to speak, but a slightly annoyed Miss Jenn cut him off, "That's enough, you two."

"I'll be right back." I blurt, running back out to the hallway.

**************************
I was in the clear upon proving that I covered up my outfit; so I ran back to the bomb shelter. I slowed down after taking notice of Nini, she was standing in the doorframe.

Without a word, I awkwardly stood next to her. Our eyes met for a moment, then uncomfortably parted. She then swiftly turned her head to gawk at Ricky's jacket.

Miss Jenn finally takes notice of us, "Girls! We've been here for an hour."

I nod, "Obviously you know my problem."

Nini huffs, "I'm so sorry. I lost my phone and basically spent last night living as a hunter-gatherer. Which, by the way, did you know some things are only on TV at a certain time?"

"What is this, the 1980s?" I sarcastically remark.

Nini hummed a fake laugh with narrowed eyes gazing at my mocking smirk, clearly annoyed with me. Miss Jenn gazes between us, with confusion shadowing her face. The drama teacher decides to stay silent and simply nod along instead.

"Anyway," Nini blurts, "I finally picked it up in the lost and found..." She trails as realization sinks in, "Wait, did you say an hour?"

"Gina sent you and me a text, asking if we could come in early, so she could talk through a new way of including Kelsi into the show. You didn't get it?" Miss Jenn explains, with confusion shadowing her features.

"No, because my phone was missing." Nini blurts as shock crosses her face.

"Look, girls.." Miss Jenn starts, "You've gotta keep better track of your stuff. And Bianca, these dress codes are ridiculous, but you need to follow them. A real triple-threat means singing, acting, and being organized. Which also means following rules." She continues.

I nod, "Understood."

"Got it." an annoyed Nini mutters.

The solemnity fades into a smile on Miss Jenn's face, "Well, if you had been here, you'd know that Gina pitched a whole new dance break for Kelsi and Taylor, in the middle of Status Quo! It gives Kelsi a beautiful moment, and it is just dazzling!" She beams.

Making a show of being impressed, Nini nods, "Did you?"

Gina delivers Nini a lunch tray while feigning a smile and ignoring her sarcasm.

"Gina, why don't you hydrate and show Nini the new choreo. Would you?" The drama teacher instructs.

I glance between them uncomfortably, before realizing that, with Nini preoccupied, I can chat with EJ, after our awkward conversation yesterday. I took a seat on the stage across from him, as he was reading from the script while perched on a chair upstage.

No words came out of my mouth when I opened and closed it. I was staring at EJ while trying to encourage myself to speak, but did not realize it until he looked up and our eyes met. Confusion crossed his face, but I quickly looked away in shock, cursing myself for being so awkward.

It only got worse as I blurted, "Hi, EJ!" sounding sarcastic.

"Hi." He awkwardly huffs out and momentarily meets my gaze while forcing a tight-lipped smile.

"So," I trail, even though I am painfully aware that he does not want to speak with me, "You've been in rehearsal the whole time?" My casual tone finally returned.

"Mm-hmm." He hums, keeping his eyes glued to the script.

My tone was definitely too exaggerated as I blurted, "Cool!"

I glance over uneasily, cursing my awkwardness, and doing so, I noticed Nini's glare.

(Nini: outside of the bomb shelter)

"Okay. Is it just me, or is it possible that Bianca stole my phone? Her and Gina are friends, I saw them hanging out on Gina's first day. So, Bianca had Gina schedule an early rehearsal, with a whole new dance number, featuring her freakish rhythmic gymnastics skills, that they know I can't do, and now, I'm in the doghouse with Miss Jenn. All so Bianca could work her way back to EJ while I'm not looking."

She crosses her arms, "The only thing I can't figure out is, why is she wearing Ricky's favorite jacket? Maybe she stole that, too. I mean, if she's willing to steal my boyfriend, what else is she willing to steal?" She huffs sarcastically.

I sigh, finally finding the courage, "Hey, I wanted to apologize."

EJ was too preoccupied glaring at Ricky, who had just passed by and approached his ex-girlfriend, to pay attention to me. It did not go well; Nini gave him the cold shoulder, and Ricky embarrassed himself exactly like I had just done with my ex.

"EJ?" I coyly question, embarrassed.

He suddenly jumped and turned to look at me when I jolted him out of it, with confusion on his face, "Huh? Sorry, what? Were you saying something?" EJ blurts, pretending to act casual.

I faked a smile to hide the disappointment that was written all over my face. Deep down, I know that EJ no longer cares for me, and I was wasting my time. Instead of responding, I just shook my head dismissively and walked away.

Wanting to cheer up, I decided to dryly provoke Ricky, "That was sad, Bowen."

"Sweeney, are you aware that I saw that mess with EJ? "Cool!" He mimics my nervous tone.

I glare at Ricky as he walks away with a smug smile.

Then, I run my fingers through my hair and lay my hat down next to Nini's backpack.

Carlos draws near and wraps his arm around my shoulder, "You know what would've been the perfect musical for you and Ricky? Starstruck."

My brows furrow as I struggle to recall the plot of that movie. I shrug and nod in agreement once I remember. Carlos and I follow everyone out of the bomb shelter, so Gina & Nini can practice.

********************************************
*Third-person POV*

(Nini: in front of the lockers)

"I've seen the movie a few hundred times. Olesya Rulin sits at the table: scared of Sharpay, shrugs at Ryan, then watches the choreo. What I don't remember, is the part where she jumps into the splits, and cracks her pelvis. Oh, it's on." She declares.

Nini paces around her room, "Okay, so. Here's the deal. Are you sitting down? Excellent." She rants.

Kourtney's brows furrow, as she is already seated on her best friend's bed.

"So, it seems like Bianca really wants EJ back, and she's somehow convinced Gina to help, and they're basically willing to kill me in order to succeed." Nini went on.

Kourtney huffs a laugh, "I could've told you that days ago.." She rests her elbow on her leg, "Oh, wait, hang on. I did." She reminds.

"But now, Bianca's stealing phones, and Gina is inventing special new ways for me to hurt myself. So, here's what I came up with.." She pulls out her iPad, taking a seat next to Kourtney.

"Uh, what, are we back in fifth grade?" Kourtney sneers, with her gaze on the PowerPoint.

"Not the point. So, the way I see it, I could do one of six things. One, talk to Miss Jenn. Two, magically learn the dance. Three, have my moms yell at their moms. Four, quit the show and talk EJ into quitting as well. Five, eat so much ice cream. Or six, steal something back."

"Well, we can scratch out number six, 'cause that's an act of war." Kourtney declares.

Nini turns around, pulling out Gina's shoes and Bianca's hat. "Too late."

Her eyes widen, "Nini!"

She nervously grins, "I thought you'd veto the ice cream."

********************************************
*Bianca's POV*

I am eating chocolate ice cream while perched on the far-right bar stool at the island, sitting cross-legged.

My mom is cleaning the stovetop, and my brother is putting the ice cream back in the freezer, before taking a seat on the far left bar stool, in front of his ice cream bowl. He is sporting a maroon hoodie and black shorts.

"You know what's weird?" I start, before taking a bite of the ice cream on my spoon.

"You biting the ice cream like a weirdo?" Damian taunts, with disgust crossing his face.

"You not chewing yours, like a weirdo who doesn't care if he lives or dies." I dryly shot back without missing a beat, though joking.

"I watch and listen to enough true crime to know you're the weirdo." He jokingly declares, assuredly.

"Anyway," I dismiss, "Carlos told me that someone's phone went missing at school. And today, my hat and someone else's shoes went missing."

Damian's brows furrow, "Wouldn't they take something more valuable? Like a backpack? Or something with money in it?" I shrug.

Mom lays the cloth to dry on the sink divider, before wiping her hands with a towel then resting her hands on the island. She shakes her head, "You kids definitely misplaced it."

My eyes widen as shock crosses my face, "You guys don't think it's weird?! Or, like, connected? Not even you, true crime junkie?" I remind, motioning at my brother.

Damian shrugs, "Maybe. But aren't you all, like, 12? What thief is 12?" He jests.

I playfully glare, "We're not 12. But, even if we were, it wouldn't change the fact that you don't have to be a certain age to steal stuff."

When I turn to face her, Mom has crossed her arms over the white wool sweater above white jeans, and is looking intently at Ricky's sherpa-lined denim jacket, which I am still sporting.

"Bianca," She finally spoke, "Where did you get that jacket from? It doesn't look like it's yours."

Damian's eyes widen, "She stole it!" He jests.

I give my brother a playfully warning look as I hold back a laugh, "No. It was loaned to me. I wasn't able to give it back because he left-.."

The regret of confessing that a boy gave me the jacket, stopped further words from leaving my lips.

Shock crossed their faces, and their eyes instantly met after the mention of a boy.

"No! Not like that!" I blurt.

"I don't know!" Damian teases, in a sing-song tone.

"Bianca, who is this boy? Is it EJ?" Mom pressed.

"No. He's not even my friend! He's playing Troy." I blurt.

"Troy and Gabriellaaa." Damian teases.

"Shut up!" I exclaim, defensive.

Mom grows confused, "Why did he give you his jacket?"

"I was cold." I nervously blurt.

Mom looked at me and tried to break me because she knew I was lying—a look that only mothers can give.

"You're a horrible liar." Damian leaned in closer to mumble, while our gazes are on Mom's intense stare.

"What shirt are you wearing?" She pressed.

"The.." I trail, almost frozen, unable to come up with a lie.

Smoothing out her gray hoodie and matching sweats, Kat walks in, "Hey. Genny's asleep." She informs, but we paid no mind to her presence.

"Bianca, let me see the shirt." Mom demands.

"Why?" I nervously blurt.

"You broke dress code again, didn't you?!" She exclaims, knowingly and disappointed.

"What?!" Kat earns the attention, "How did you break dress code in that mock neck T-Shirt I gave you this morning?!" She lied, covering for me.

"You think that I believe this-" Mom starts, but then her phone interrupted, causing her head to turn, earning the attention immediately.

She picks up her phone from the island, "It's those buyers. I haven't had a sell in a month, I think they wanna buy that house!" She grins.

We smile supportively as she walks into the living room to take the call.

"Go change into that shirt. It's in my bag." Kat whisper-shouts.

"You're a lifesaver!" I quietly beam, giving her a quick hug before going upstairs.

********************************************
*Third-person POV*

"You stole Bianca's hat?! And Gina's shoes?" EJ quietly exclaims, in the library, after Nini broke the news.

Nini smirks and shrugs, "Wasn't even that hard." She boasts.

"What if they retaliate?!" The panicked boy blurts.

"Then I'll come back at them twice as hard. I am the night." Growing overzealous, his girlfriend boasts, then sweetly smiles.

"'Nini, I gotta be honest. This feels very Bianca, and not at all like you." EJ explains, with a nervous smile.

"She hasn't done anything like that since she lost her confidence! But still, detention is named after her! It's very possible that she stole Ricky's jacket." She grins in victory.

His brows furrow, "Ricky gave it to her because she broke dress code again."

"Oh," Nini waves it off, then grows confused upon taking notice of her boyfriend's disappointed state. "I thought you'd be proud."

He glances around, swaying his head, "Yeah, but stealing just seems a little low. You're better than that. You're better than..."

"Bianca?!" The brunette assumes, with hope in her eyes.

EJ sighs, taking her hands in his, "You're Nini." making his girlfriend melt, leading to a sweet kiss between the couple.

(Nini: at school, in front of lockers)

"So, I've thought about what EJ said, and decided that sometimes, you just have to stand up and do what's right. I'm returning Bianca's hat and Gina's shoes... when they aren't looking."

Bianca's hat was placed next to her belongings by Nini, but before she could return Gina's item, the wonderstudy entered the room.

*********************
Kourtney walks into Nini's room, "Did you return their stuff?"

"I returned Bianca's hat. Then I may have stolen Gina's water bottle." Nini informs, nervously grinning.

"Oh, no." She panics.

"You don't have to say it," Her best friend sighs.

"No. After you told me we were done going after Bianca, and what Gina said about you: I stole three of Gina's scarves, some jewelry, and her laptop." She pours all of it onto the bed, and the two friends freak out.

********************************************
*Bianca's POV*

********************
To run the Status Quo vocals, Carlos gathers practically everyone in the bomb shelter. During, Mr. Mazzara and Miss Jenn enter the room. The robotics teacher seemed annoyed, while our drama teacher proudly admired us.

"I have no notes." Carlos grins, and we cheer.

Standing between Gina and Ashlyn, I give Ashlyn a high-five as Miss Jenn cheers, and Mr. Mazzara leaves in frustration and defeat.

***********************
I discovered my hat backstage, so maybe my mom was right and I did misplace it. After putting it away and shutting my locker, I notice EJ is carrying ice on his lip as he walks down the hallway, with his head hung low.

"EJ?" With my voice full of concern, I approach him.

"Hey." His lack of eye contact and quiet voice was an obvious indication that he did not want to speak, but I stood in front of him before he attempted to leave.

"What happened? Are you okay?" I blurt, worried and confused.

He dismisses it with a wave and huffed laugh, "Yeah. Water polo practice."

I started to speak, but when my mother entered, I closed my mouth as confusion crossed my face.

EJ noticed my eyes wander off, so he glanced behind to see what I am viewing; a smile spreads a crossed his face, "Tell Ms. Monroe I say hi!"

I tore my eyes away from my mom, only to become more perplexed by my ex-boyfriend's audacity. He thinks my mother will still be kind to him, despite his willingness to give me the cold shoulder.

When my ex turned to face me, I quickly covered the confusion and disapproval on my face with a false grin, "Will do!"

Knowing how my voice sounds when I am lying, EJ was grinning but soon became confused. He masked it with a small smile, before nodding and walking away to leave.

"Like that'll happen." I mumble, rolling my eyes at my ex's audacity.

Mom, wearing a neutral pencil skirt, long-sleeved dress with matching red bottoms to complete the look, was facing the opposite direction since she was talking on the phone. As I drew near, the phone call came to an end, "Mom?"

"Bianca!" She grins, meetings me halfway, "By how you're dressed, I'm assuming you knew I was gonna be here." She teases.

I mockingly smile and tilt my head in fake amusement with a hum.

"School has been out for an hour." She states, bringing her wrist up to eye level to check her gold watch, "I was waiting for you outside, for 20 minutes."

"Rehearsal." I remind, then uncomfortably clear my throat.

Mom still hates musicals, so her support is limited to avoiding the subject altogether.

She nodded in acknowledgment, averting her gaze, "We're going out to celebrate my first sale this month, remember? We have to pick up Kat and Damian." She reminds.

I nod once realization sinks in, "Oh, right!"

Mom flicks her hand dismissively, "It's okay. I know my thing isn't as important to you, as whatever's going on here is." Her voice was not sarcastic or humorous, it was dramatic; she was trying to make me feel guilty. She gestured around and began walking.

I glance over uncomfortably and press my lips together, before stepping away to follow.

Before we could walk out, Mr. Mazzara passed by; he quickly stopped in his tracks, immediately taking notice of my mom.

My mom's mouth went agape, as they stared at each other in shock.

"Blanche?" Mr. Mazzara mutters.

"My mom." I inform, uncomfortably watching this unfold.

Shock crosses his face at my words, merely glancing at me before returning his gaze to my mom, "Oh, wow. I didn't know that. Your mom and I..."

"We knew each other." My mom chimes in, "Once. Years ago." She blurts.

"In high school." He adds, a smile tugging his lips at the memory, causing them to share a smile.

I could not fight the disgust on my face as they drank each other in.

"Are you and Wyatt still-" He wonders about my dad.

"No," Mom assures, "That has been over for a long time."

Mr. Mazzara looked relieved at that, nodding along. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"How have you been? You work here?" Mom questions.

"I do. STEM teacher." He informs, nodding, and they share a gentle laugh.

"I knew it!" Mom beams, "Remember all those talks in high school?" They continued to laugh.

"We were the best in our STEM class." Mr. Mazzara reminisces.

Mom nods proudly, "Yeah, we were."

"And I'm assuming that you're a model?" He flirts, causing a blush to creep up on Mom's face, resulting in her giggling like a teenager.

She playfully shakes her head in shame, they laugh. "Not in front of my daughter!" She then meets my gaze, "The flirts never change."

Attempting to disguise my disgusted state, I force a smile, with raised brows in fake amusement.

"I'm a realtor." She informed, after they finished laughing.

Mr. Mazzara hums in acknowledgment, nodding along.

"The kids and I were actually going out to celebrate a huge sale I just won. You should join us." She casually suggests.

My eyes widen in shock, hoping he declines.

Mr. Mazzara smiled wide, his eyes never leaving hers, "I'd like that."

(Bianca: in front of her locker)

"They both hate the musical and would do anything to take it down. What a perfect match." sarcastically before she scoffs and rolls her eyes.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

174K 3K 37
โ€ข๏ผช๏ผต๏ผณ๏ผด ๏ผฆ๏ผฏ๏ผฒ ๏ผก ๏ผญ๏ผฏ๏ผญ๏ผฅ๏ผฎ๏ผดโ€ข collection of one-shots about ricky and nini from high school musical: the musical: the series! !! some may be OOC !! sadly, i d...
22.4K 838 40
"Do you even know who I am?" "Yup, I just don't care." {superstar Richard Bowen returns to his hometown for a few months, where he meets the only gir...
659 25 20
[COMPLETE] Both Chloe Grey and Ricky Bowen want to try something new. A musical. During the journey Chloe, who has experience with all performing art...