Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 7: Reminiscing
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure
Chapter 14: Control
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 26: No Reception
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 51: Decisions
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends

Epilogue

5.4K 238 29
By KaylaWoods289

5 Years Later

Cassie smiled turning on the TV as she lifted her feet putting them on the coffee table. A soft hiss escaping her lips before a sigh of content followed. She rested her body into the comfort of the couch. The scent of Keith's cologne lingering on it making her intentionally inhale deeply. Her focus turning back to the television just as the talk show began. 

"Aunt Cassie!"

"In here Rose!" She yelled out.

The patting of feet made the blonde beauty smile as her partner in crime rounded the couch. Her wild hair all over the place as she rubbed her eyes. She has grown so beautifully with her mother's dark hair and her father's blue eyes. Cassie knew the couple would have their hands full when she became older. 

Rose flopped down next to Cassie with a huff before turning her body and laying her head on Cassie's protruding belly. Cass only smiled as she put her hands in her hair gently massaging her scalp. The little princess rubbing her hand over the orb that was now her stomach. She bit her lip to stop from laughing at the little girl. Rose had been fascinated by her growing stomach for some time now. It was an interesting conversation explaining to her why she had gotten so big. Rose looked horrified believing she had eaten the child leaving Cassie in tears from laughing so hard. 

It seems as if it was just yesterday that Rose had come home from the hospital however time flies when you are happy. For Cassie, she felt like a damn time traveler with how fast the last few years have flown by. Rose is now 5 going on 6. She has her own baby brother who is currently 2 years old named Declan. He was gifted the name after Keith and Nat's father. 

Speaking of Nat, she is still running the farm along side her brother. Their farm had become one of the top ranches in all of the south. Not that it came as a surprise, they worked hard to get to where they are at. They promoted Mateo a year ago as a manager since Keith's original second hand had left the ranch. Mateo was ecstatic and takes his job very seriously. This allows for both of the siblings to take a break when needed. 

Natalia and Jackson are still going strong. Cassie can practically feel their love when ever they are around each other. Watching her best friend and now sister fallen so deeply in love, it brings her happiness. Nat was never the type for affection but with Jackson, she had an entirely different outlook. Jackson was her balance just as she was his rock. They worked well together and Jackson's agency had grown as well. The couple had been thinking about adding another member to their growing family but Cass had not been informed as of yet if Nat is pregnant again. 

Keith and her had tied the knot about 8 months after he proposed. They had a small wedding where only close friends had joined and Tate did walk her down the isle as promised. The media had caught wind of the marriage after the fact so luckily they were not their to intrude on the festivities however the weeks following, they seem to buzz around. Nat threatened to shoot of their feet if they dare step foot on her land. That put an end to their intrusion. Since then, they have taken their time to start a family. Keith had spoken to her that he would wait until she was ready. Cassie definitely wanted children with him but wanted her life to slow down to enjoy it all. 

This leads them to this year. Cassie had decided to be officially done with touring. She still sings but now only special appearances. She was ready to have her life wrapped around her family and soon to be son. Yes, it was a boy. They had decided recently to name him Luke after one of their favorite singers. She was currently due in 3 weeks time. She was ready and also was over the swelling of her feet. She felt like a water buffalo moving around. Keith said he loved her pregnant body, stating it was sexy to him that she could glow and carry their child at the same time. 

"Aunt Cass, is Uncle Tae Tae going to be on?"

Cassie bit her lip to stop from snorting. Rose turned momentarily to glance up at her making her nod her head before returning her gaze back to the television. Rose had nicknamed Tate as she began to talk. The old man comes around often and has taken a liking to the ranch and area. He has been considering buying a secondary home nearby for when he visits. Cassie had told him it wasn't needed, that he would always have a spot at their home. Nat had even made a room for him as well. 

Cassie turned up the volume as she watched her old boss walk onto the stage as the audience clapped. The lady host walking up to shaking his hand and kiss his cheek. The audience began to simmer down as they took their seats. The old man had aged like fine wine. Cassie couldn't believe his actual age when the subject came up. His eyes barely crinkling in the corner while he smiled warmly. 

"Thank you for joining us Tate Marx."

"Happy to be here Ellen." He says straighten out his jacket. 

"It's been some time since we had you on here. I understand you have a few things to announce."

"I do..." Tate says sighing before continuing, "First thing, our newest member Ava will be releasing her debut album in a month's time."

The crowd applauded as some photos of the upcoming artist came on the screen behind their seats. Cass liked the young artist. Ava had her own style and was not afraid to stand up for her own way. Cassie admired that remembering how scared she was at the beginning. 

"I've heard some of her work, she is a brilliant artist!" The host squeals happily. 

"Yes... yes she is." Tate nods his head glancing at the photo before directing his attention back to her. 

"I here she may be your next Cassie Lyndel?" The host leaning forward acting intrigued. 

Cass watches as Tate's eyes twinkle as they often do around her. The sight warming her heart remembering how on the day of her wedding, he couldn't be any prouder to be her father figure. She didn't even realize she was smiling until the little munchkin laying on her lap poked her cheek. She playfully glared down at her before tickling her sides making the young girl squirm and erupt in laughter. 

"Time will tell.. but I don't think their could ever be two Cassie Lyndels." He confesses with a gentle smile. 

"I understand you are very close with artist?" 

Photos of Cassie come up on the screen behind Tate. He turns going silent for a moment as he looks at the photo. Cassie could feel her pregnancy hormones going into overdrive as they zoomed in on his face. She blinked to hold back the tears while watching the show. 

"I am, I think of her as my own."

"That is quite a bond for someone who left your agency to sign with another?"

"She only left to sign with her brother-in-law. I have no bad feelings towards Cassie."

The host nods her head as she gathers her queue cards clearing her throat in the process. "It was recently reported that Cassie Lyndel-"

"Thornton... her last name is Thornton." Tate says cutting off the hostess. The woman gives him a tight lip smile but continues. 

"Cassie is currently expecting, is that correct?"

"Yes, she is expecting her first child in a few weeks time." The audience claps while Rose just rubs the baby while they continue watching. Cassie glancing down at the young girl before looking back up. 

"Is she planning on returning after the birth of the baby?"

"That is a question for her new manager team but I believe she wants to be with her family for the time being." He answers amicably. "It also leads to my second announcement, I am retiring and handing the reigns over to an associate of mine that has been with me for years. Her name is Sarah Donavan."

The crowd applauds once again while the host tries to recover from her shocked expression. After gathering herself she continues, "Wow, that is big news. Do we know this Sarah Donovan?"

He nods and stands as the familiar woman walks out with a gentle wave walking over to Tate. Cassie smiled happy for the long time assistant. Sarah had worked hard to get her degree while still working full time and raising her family. Tate had asked Cassie a while back what she thought and Cassie said she would be a brilliant successor. 

"Congratulations Mrs. Donovan."

"Thank you" Sarah says with a nod of appreciation as Tate gives her his seat. The crowd finishes applauding as they take their seats. Tate finds the staff bringing out another chair which he takes with a small thank you. 

"How long have you worked with Mr. Marx?"

"Ohhh," Sarah glances over to Tate who just grins at her. "Most of his career. Probably close to 20 years."

"Wow, that's loyalty." Sarah nods her head along with Tate. "So why do you think he is retiring?"

"I think he is ready to spend time with his family. He is very close to his daughter and wants to be there when she has her son."

"Oh? Mr. Marx, I was unaware you had children?"

Tate only smirks in returning not further commenting. Cassie chuckles gently shaking her head. He was ready to meet Luke and was excited. Cassie had long ago given up ever speaking to her parents again but in a sense, she never lost her parents. Tate was easily her male role model and in a way, Nat filled the void of any mother. Both always keeping an eye out for her and making sure her best interest came first. 

"Well congratulations again Mrs. Donovan! Thank you both for joining us today." The host stands as the audience claps while hugging both Sarah then Tate. 

She smiles turning off the TV. Rose lifts her head making those electric blues look up at her. Cassie couldn't get over the mixture and thought she was an angel. Rose got up from the couch offering her outstretched hand. Cassie gently giggled taking it as the young princess struggled to pull her up. 

"Don't hurt yourself there Rose."

"Uncle Keith! Help please!" The young pleads making Cassie and Keith laugh. 

Her knight in shining armor rounds the couch before reaching for Cassie's forearm helping holster her up. Cassie takes a moment to balance herself, Keith not letting her go until she is ready. She nods allowing him to release her arm but instead curl his arm around her. She smiles thankful for him as he leans down to kiss her gently. 

"Ewwww" 

Keith pulls back from her as the young girl grunts out her distaste at the show of affection. Cassie just shakes her head still smiling. The front door of their home opens up and Cassie looks to the young girl finding her eyes wide as saucers. 

"ROSE FILLMORE! YOU BETTER BE READY!"

The young beauty sprints off making both Cassie and Keith laugh. Not even a moment later, Cass' true best friend comes around the corner with her hands on her hips. 

"Let me guess, she ran."

Cassie nods still holding onto Keith's hand on her waist. Nat just shakes her head coming forward to embrace her. Cass almost melts into her hugging her back. Nat kisses the side of her head before releasing her. 

"How you feeling?"

"Like a cow," Cass says pouting playfully. Keith's chuckles vibrating his chest that is pressed to her back. 

"It will be time soon enough." Nat says gently still smiling at her very pregnant friend. 

"I know, I'm just ready for Luke to be here." She says rubbing her stomach. Keith's hand coming up to touch hers over their baby. 

"You two are so cute!" 

"I am not... cute." Keith says grumbling. Both girls laughing at his expense. 

Nat takes Cass' hands gently pulling her away from her husband. Cass grips them allowing her to guide them away from Keith. Nat takes her outside sitting her down on the swing. Cass relaxing against the wood as they look out to the land. It was another beautiful day on the ranch. The horses were roaming around but one horse in particular coming close to the porch to greet his mistress. Cassie smiling fondly at her boy who neighs at her. She was ready to ride him again. 

Nat wraps her arm around Cass' shoulder making the blonde beauty lay her head on her shoulder. Cassie was content. This was her life and taking it back to the basics made all the difference. 

For now, she was exactly where she was meant to be. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 190 51
Love isn't about how much you say I LOVE YOU, but how much you prove that's true. Lydia Martin thought that life was closing on her, everything...
513 9 50
Carolina goes home to her family ranch in Texas for the summer from college. She is expecting a fairly peaceful summer minus her daily arguments with...
478K 11.4K 19
***Exciting news everyone!! I've hired an editor!! If you're a fan of Wilson Ranch make sure to follow as major grammar/spelling corrections are go...
2.5M 52.4K 43
I left him. I never thought in a million years I would be the one to walk, but I was. I left the man I was madly in love with, I had no idea where I...