Stain of Red || The Darkling

By Krazy_Kupid

"Crowns topple easily. Thrones crumble like dust. Hearts cease to beat. Thorns draw blood." In a country tor... More

𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐑 + 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐊
𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡
𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞
𝐈𝐈.
𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐈𝐕.
𝐕.
𝐕𝐈.
𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐈𝐗.
𝐗.
𝐗𝐈.
𝐗𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐈𝐕.
𝐗𝐕.
𝐗𝐕𝐈.
𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐈𝐗.
𝐗𝐗.
𝐗𝐗𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕.
𝐗𝐗𝐕.
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗.
𝐗𝐗𝐗.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈.
𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗.
𝐗𝐋.
𝐗𝐋𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐕.
𝐗𝐋𝐕.
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐗.
𝐋.
𝐋𝐈.
𝐋𝐈𝐈.
𝐋𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐋𝐈𝐕.
𝐋𝐕.
𝐋𝐕𝐈.
𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈.
𝐋𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
𝐋𝐈𝐗.
𝐋𝐗.
𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝐈.

16.6K 572 122
By Krazy_Kupid

Chapter I.
The Air She Breathed

"To Prince Oleg! To the prince!"

Irina raised her glass to toast to the success of her brother's military efforts. He had done his time in the front and was now more than happy to be home.

Despite the fact that he probably spent his time drinking kvas in one of the tents. After all, she knew her brother so well. 

She let a small smile grace her lips as her brother bowed gracefully, the alcohol already taking effect as seen from the redness of his cheeks. 

"Now, now. I am not to be praised as such yet. After all, there is still much to be done. What with the Shadow Fold and the constant attacks from Fjerda. Reserve your applause for the time when I find solutions to those." Oleg smirked, clasping the shoulders of the noblemen beside him.

Eager young men who wanted to get close to the future King of Ravka.

"I do not suppose this is the type of scene you wish to be a part of, Princess Irina." A hand being placed atop hers broke her out of her reverie.

Irina turned her head to one of her brother's friends. A bright-eyed young man, with shaggy brown hair. She vaguely remembered her brother calling for the young man, calling him Pasha. 

 If she was not mistaken, he was the son of one of the merchants in Novokribirsk. One of the merchants almost out of business due to the Shadow Fold in place.

"What makes you think that, Pasha?" She asked, taking a bite of the quail roasted in honey. The sweetness pricking her tongue like droplets of sugar. 

'Pasha', taking that as his cue to continue talking. Probably renewed with energy after realizing that he caught the princess of Ravka's attentions. 

He smiled confidently and somewhat suggestively held unto her hand firmly. "Well, I assume that a princess, such as yourself, would rather spend time in the gardens and pick flowers. Maybe spend some time in the stables. Privately."

Irina rolled her eyes, already exhausted from the sound of his voice. She maneuvered her hand to remove his hold on her before squeezing his wrist tightly. "Actually I have been enjoying the celebration thus far. If only it wasn't interrupted by an irritating insect."

"Why you littl-" Pasha started, trying to pull away.

"Careful now. You certainly wouldn't want to be crushed, insect. It could happen." She leaned in, whispering. Unknowingly, speeding up the beating of his heart. "Just. Like. That." 

Pasha stumbled out of his seat. He couldn't get away fast enough, pushing away servants and other guests to get to the door. 

If her brother had eager young men clambering for his attention and his favor, Irina had eager young men clambering for what she had to offer. Time, she supposed. Perhaps affection and of course, a possible dalliance with a princess.

It got easier and easier each time they tried. Each time only earned her judgment and of course, the title of 'Frigid princess of Ravka'. 

Irina heard the sound of someone clapping from behind her. Plastering a fake smile on her face, she stood up and turned around to be faced by none other than her brother.

The man of the hour. 

"Hello, Oleg." She greeted, taking his offered arm as they walked around the ballroom.

"Sister, what did I tell you about scaring away my friends?" He tutted, shaking his head in amusement.

"Oh please. Your henchmen? They scare easier than a pair of rabbits." She retorted.

Oleg let out a loud boisterous laugh, capturing the attention of most of the guests. They dismissed it as the prince having the usual laugh with his sister. 

Once they all looked away, Oleg toyed with her necklace, while words conflicting with his expression came out of his mouth. "Know your place, sister. Do not ruin this for me."

Clenching her teeth, she spoke stiffly. "How could I ever ruin it for you, brother?"

"You know what I mean, Irina. You know that father is not as healthy as people think he is. They say his reign is to be cut short and after he is gone, who do you think will take his place? You?" He mocked, the politician smile still fluttering in his lips. 

From outside their conversation, it only looks as if he was complimenting her when truly he was spewing out such poison.

"Of course not, Oleg," Irina replied curtly.

Oleg let his fingers trail across her face, the abuse of his power evident. It was not as if she could do anything for what would it look like? It would simply cause more problems for their father.  

"Good. I would hate to have you married off to one of these rabbits."

//

"Papa?"

Irina opened the door to her father's chambers as quietly as possible. She didn't wish to wake him if he was still resting.

The room was lit by a single lamp, yellow light cascading over the room like gentle waves.

"Irina dear. Come." A tired voice croaked from the bed.

With a smile, she raced to her father's bedside as she had done when she was little.

Her mother had died giving birth to the youngest prince, Igor, which is why the king had to raise three children on his own.

Of course, he hired caretakers to take care of them when he was trying to reign over Ravka but he never hired one again after the incident.

"How are you feeling today?" Irina asked, worry glazing over her eyes.

King Andrei grinned. "Better. How was the celebration for Oleg's return?"

She frowned. "You know how he is. No expenses were spared. If only you could see what he did to the Grand Palace. Dreadful, father. Truly."

Her father let out a laugh before bursting into spurts of coughing and gagging. His sickness was not getting better at all. There were some good days but there were also days when he could barely get up from his bed.

Irina's brows furrowed in concern. She took her father's hand in hers, preparing to call the power that she knew was at her fingertips. "I can help you. I can help make it easier. If you would just let me he-"

"No!" His voice raised in alarm, pulling his hand away from hers. "No, Irina. We spoke of this. You will not use this power. Understand? No one can know."

"But I am just trying to help. Father, I know I can learn. I can learn to use this power, to train." She defended.

"You will be hunted all your life. I cannot let my daughter live that life." He explained, his forehead crinkling in sorrow and troubled thinking. "I have been trying to protect you. No one will understand. No one but us. If I could just find someone who cou- but no. Not now."

"I don't understand."

At that, King Andrei turned to face his eldest daughter. He could see the worry in her eyes, the frustration at not getting any answers. He knew it was affecting her. Not being able to use such power. The bags under her eyes being covered by white powder, the dullness in her golden hair, the paleness in her skin.

It was killing her.

Now, he knew that he could not do anything about his ailment but perhaps he could help his daughter. His only daughter.

He only needed to find someone. Someone to help her. Someone who will not betray them, who will dedicate their lives to helping his daughter. He is king, after all. He could change things for people like his daughter. He could fix this.

If only he could find such a Grisha who would willingly help him do so.

~ 𝓪𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓻'𝓼 𝓷𝓸𝓽𝓮 ~

Soooo, we know where this is heading hehehehe... The Darkling will be showing up soon, not to worry. There will still be much drama to happen, just you wait. 

Stay tuned for the next chapter, everyone! Sending you all my loves. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 3.7K 53
A darklina story~How would the story end if the battle at the climax of Seige & Storm between Alina and the Darkling happened at a different place an...
36.3K 923 25
What if Alina and the darkling had gone further the night of the winter fate? What if they weren't interrupted till later? Alina is pregnant when she...
7.6K 171 17
[DARKLINA OMEGAVERSE AU] Alina's eyes went wide as she felt his tongue invade her mouth, fighting for space, commanding it. As he devoured her with h...
3.7K 125 20
━━━ 𝙉𝙊𝘽𝙊𝘿𝙔 𝙎𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙏 𝙋𝙇𝘼𝙔𝙎 𝙁𝘼𝙄𝙍 ❝ long before there ever was a black rift di...