Melody's Muse βœ“

By LunahElle

[ONC 2021 Honorable Mention & Round 2 Ambassador's Pick] [Featured on @StoriesUndiscovered, @Contemporarylit... More

Introduction
1. Intrigued
2. Chopin - Nocturnes No. 1 in B Major, Op. 32
3. Arts and culture
4. Rachmaninoff - Etude-tableau, Op. 39 No. 5.
5. Music stands
6. Schubert - Wanderer Fantasy in C Major, Op.15.
7. Scales
8. Beethoven - Bagatelle No. 25 in A Minor
9. Recognized
10. Mozart - Piano Sonata, No. 16.
11. Mornings
12. Chapter 12 Schumann - Kinderszenen, Op. 15 No. 7
13. Anonymity
14. Rachmaninoff - Moment Musicaux, Op. 16 No. 4.
15. Figure Skater
16. Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite, Op.71 No.3.
17. Slacking
18. Schubert - Waltz No. 6 in b minor, Op. 18.
19. Confident
20. Joplin - The Entertainer
21. Academy
22. Carmichael - Heart and soul
23. Love sucks
24. Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake Op. 20
25. Care
26. Brahms - Rhapsody No. 1 in b minor, Op. 79.
27. Leaving
28. Aria - Op. 1 No.1
29. Done
30. Prokofiev - Piano Sonata No. 7 in b-flat major, Op. 83
31. Change
32. Brahms - Intermezzo in A major, Op. 118 No. 2
33. Growing up
34. Aria - Cole Op. 1 No.2
Author's Notes
Bonus chapter - The Easiest
Bonus Chapter - Commitment
Spinoff!

Epilogue

1.1K 54 19
By LunahElle

Melody

1 year later

From the corner of my eye, I can see Cole shuffling restlessly in his chair by the door. I swear he has the patience of a child sometimes. I roll my eyes, what a baby. The lawyer, a man with grey hair probably only a few years from retirement, passes another document from a seemingly endless stack to Lauren and I across the table. We each sign it and hand it back.

"Well, that's finally everything." He grins and shuts the folder. "I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors."

I sigh in relief and we all shake hands. "I'm sure you'll be excellent Melody," Lauren says to me with a kind smile. "I'll be able to enjoy my retirement knowing Cristofori Music is in good hands."

"Thank you, I appreciate that." My stomach is fluttering with a flock of excited butterflies. A whole new chapter in my life is beginning. That last chapter was painfully long.

Cole eagerly gets up and follows me out of the office. "I can't believe you just bought a company," he mutters, shaking his head. "You're a twenty year old CEO Mel."

I chuckle. "It's kind of nuts isn't it." 

It was depressing that night, seeing the poor state of the piano department in such a highly acclaimed music organization. Even after teaching there for a few months, I knew it wasn't enough - I knew I could do more. With Lauren retiring, it seemed like the perfect opportunity had just fallen into my lap. I'd consider it to be the most ambitious thing I've ever done, which is saying quite a lot.

I check my phone at the sound of a text. "C'mon let's hurry, Mr. Carter said he just got to the restaurant."

-----

A friendly host greets us and leads us to a table out on the patio. "Hi Mr. Carter!" I grin as we sit down. He's wearing a white polo and pale khakis. It's still a bit strange seeing him out in public dressed in casual clothes.

He smiles and shakes his head. "How many times do I have to tell you, you can just call me Wyatt now?" 

I wrinkle my nose. "No thank you. That's like my mom telling me to call her Christine," I tease. "Now, how's my favourite little goddaughter?" I gush, taking the tiny hand of the babbling baby sitting in the high chair. "Can I hold her?"

Mr. Carter nods. I carefully unbuckle her and hold the soft little baby against my chest. She tugs on my necklace and looks up at me with her big round eyes. I can't get over how adorable she is, she's even wearing the pastel yellow onesie with a duck pattern that I bought for her.

"Megan's your only goddaughter Mel," Cole chuckles. "How have you been Mr. Carter?"

Mr. Carter tiredly runs his hand through his hair. "I haven't slept properly in months," he grumbles.

I never thought I'd see Mr. Carter as a dad, but hey, here he is. Now with a three month old daughter and a fiancée he met at work.

"How's the new job going by the way?" Cole asks.

Since people left me alone pretty soon after the interview, I didn't need a bodyguard anymore. Thanks to her connections, mom was able to get Mr. Carter a new security guard position almost immediately. Now he's working as the security guard for the Premier's eleven year old twins.

"It's been...interesting," he says with a slight smile. "Alan actually reminds me of you Ms. Aria. Shy, well-behaved, and kind."

I chuckle. "And the other one?"

"Allie is...something." Mr. Carter shakes his head. "Rambunctious and a bit rebellious. I caught her running across the front lawn at midnight the other day. She had managed to turn off the security alarm and climb out her window to try and go to a boy's house."

We burst out laughing. It's still strange to think about Mr. Carter watching over another family after being with mom and I for eight years. I'm incredibly appreciative of him though, he went above and beyond what he was hired to do. I am who I am today because of him. Those kids have no idea how lucky they are to have him, though I'm sure they'll realize soon enough.

-----

Cole

After we've finished lunch and parted ways with Mr. Carter and Megan, we head back to the car. "Hey, would you look at that," I remark, pausing in front of a store. In the window display, there's a shiny book propped up on a book stand, along with a bright New! sign next to it.

Piano Basics for Beginners - Volume 1

By Melody Aria

Below the title is a picture of Melissa playing piano. She quickly became Melody's best and favourite student. Melissa was thrilled when Melody asked if she wanted to be on the cover of her book.

Melody found it absolutely hilarious and adorable when it became clear that Melissa had a little, err...crush on me. Every time I came to visit Melody at the school, Melissa would follow me everywhere around the building. She even began waiting for me outside the washroom and nearly snuck into my car one time. Luckily, she met one of the other students, a sweet little boy named Joe. According to Melissa, the two of them are going to get married and live happily ever after.

"Oh! I didn't know this store was starting to sell it today." Melody's eyes are bright with excitement. 

I guess I can't be surprised. With her mom as her new business advisor, she managed to make deals with bookstores all over the world to sell her book. There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere that's keeping track of where and when her book is being sold - I'm certain Melody hasn't looked at it.

She quickly grabs my hand and tugs me into the music store.

The shelf in the center of the store displaying Melody's book is nearly empty. Almost every person in the store is holding a copy. A couple of them even recognize Melody and ask her to sign their books. Melody smiles and signs, albeit quite shyly. No matter how successful she becomes, I know she's always going to stay her humble and modest self.

It must feel amazing, working on something so hard for an entire year and getting to see it turn out so successfully. Melody's wanted to write a music book for years, this was the first time in her life where she had time to pursue her own personal project. I'm incredibly proud of her and honoured to have been able to join her on her journey this year. I'm excited to see what the future holds for us.

I wander aimlessly around the store while Melody is busy talking to people. I don't think I've ever even been inside a music store, it's actually pretty nice. All of the instruments are so shiny and bright. As I'm walking by another display, I suddenly do a double take. Taking a couple steps backwards, I pause in front of the two-tiered round wooden table with a big sign.

Limited Edition: Melody Aria Bears. All proceeds will be donated to charity.

My eyes slowly trail down the giant pyramid of familiar looking latte brown teddy bears. They're each holding a pink plush heart with the words, I love you beary much, embroidered on the hearts in white thread. I pick one up. Attached to the right paw is a small tag that says squeeze me! I raise an eyebrow and obey the toy. It plays a small, ten second sample of Melody's song, Cole.

I have to consciously stop my jaw from dropping open. This is the cutest and sweetest shit I have ever seen and probably will ever see.

I feel Melody snake her arm around my waist. "Do you like it? It was so hard to keep this a surprise." Her eyes practically glitter as she looks up at me with a giant and excited grin.

"I love it." I smile and kiss her forehead. "I'm gonna have to buy like, twenty."

"Oh I almost forgot!" Melody takes one of the her books off a nearby shelf. "You haven't seen the finished version, right?" 

I was pretty much Melody's test subject. As a musical novice, I got to tell her whether or not her instructions were easy enough to follow throughout the book. I'm even in a couple pictures inside, I got to be a model. I think I truly missed my calling there.

"Nope, not yet." I shake my head.

"Perfect." She hands me the book. "Read the dedication."

I raise an eyebrow, but she just gives me a big smile. I open the book, there's a small dedication written in the center of the first page.

To Mr. Carter,

Thank you for teaching me strength and forgiveness.

&

To Cole,

You will always be my muse.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59K 1.6K 34
"πΏπ‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘ 𝑖𝑠 π‘’π‘Žπ‘ π‘¦ π‘‘π‘œ π‘™π‘œπ‘£π‘’, π‘ β„Žπ‘œπ‘€ π‘šπ‘’ π‘¦π‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘˜π‘›π‘’π‘ π‘ " - 𝑅. 𝑄𝑒𝑒𝑒𝑛 ______________________________ "I can help with that...
32.8K 2K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
31.4K 669 48
Genevieve loves her friends, her family, wants nothing more than to live a "perfect life". She's painfully shy, has never had a boyfriend, and works...
49.3K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...