Walk With Me

Od AJ_Readley

Tommy Sallow is onto better and brighter things. After working a small hometown beat in upstate New York, he'... Viac

~author note~
Prologue
1. Never Too Far Away
2. A Mean Right Hook
4. Home Again
5. Her Voice
Bonus Chapter: Girl From the Coffee Shop
6. Game Strategy
7. The Many Facets of Silence
8. Law of Distraction
9. Old Friends and New Acquaintances
10. Powers of Perception
11. Broken Promises and Empty Apologies
12. A Side of Salsa
13. Unspoken Words
14. Impressing Pretty Girls
15. The General Population of Women
16. Gray Area
17. Getting Back Out There
18. Get the Girl
19. Not a Tommy Blue
20. Sallow Style
21. Let Your Hair Down
22. Howl It Out
23. My New Favorite Place
24. Mine
25. False Hope
26. Out of Sorts
27. Ready to Run
28. Sinful Thoughts
29. Vanilla Chapstick and Lemonade
30. Movie Night
31. Wrapped In Magic
32. Unwrapped With Pleasure
33. Not the Same
34. Unexpected Guest
35. Jumbled
36. Still Something Left
37. Ugly Parts
38. Treading Water
39. If You Love Her
40. Go Fight For Him
41. A New Chapter
42. Chocolate and Her
43. A Blissful Combination
44. Heat
45. Walk With Me
46. White Flag
47. Pieces of the Past
48. Fireworks
49. Picking Up the Pieces
50. Shift Change
51. Girls Night
52. A New and Different Love
53. On Top
54. Light
55. Moody Hotness
56. All That Matters
57. Not Scared
58. Nothing Left
59. Never Should Have Left
60. Always Here
Epilogue: How Sweet It Is
~new story update~

3. Delicate

4.3K 243 80
Od AJ_Readley

Three Months Later

Madison rolls off of me, collapsing onto the mattress with a small laugh. "Fucking hell, you're good at that," she says, all breathy and spent. No fucking wonder either. She just rode the shit out of me.

"I think you did most of the work there, Mads," I tell her on my own heavy exhale. If there's one thing to be said about Madi, she's got some stamina.

"Nope," she argues with a grin. "I may have finished strong but you started that whole exchange and I never would have been able to finish like that if it weren't for how you started."

Okay, that's fair.

She giggles a little and stands up on wobbly legs, her hand gripping the wall to steady herself. My eyes drift over her body as she grabs her clothes from the floor and lifts her arms up to stretch, her perky tits on display for another hot second before she pulls her t-shirt on. I frown when they disappear like I didn't just watch them bounce in my face for the last twenty five minutes while she was on top of me.

I'm a boob guy, what can I say?

Madi drops down onto the bed again, her head landing on my shoulder. "I should have just let you do your thing, Sallow, but I was feeling generous. I know you like a girl on top."

Mmhmm... because boobs.

When I feel her body lean into me and her leg slip in between mine, a desperate urge hits me to sit up and remove myself from Madi's quickly entangling limbs. That position feels too intimate to share with her. Yes, I realize we just fucked each other's brains out. But that's just it. There's no intimacy in the sex game with Madison, no tenderness or affection. We're just doing what we do, whenever we want to do it and for whatever reason.

But see, that thing she just did with her leg where she tried to casually lace her body into mine? While a gesture like that means everything to me, it meant nothing to her.

And that's perfectly fine, for the record. There's something I've always found endearing about her ultra-relaxed and welcoming personality, it's part of what makes her a good friend and probably helps in her job as a nurse, too. She's easy to talk to, an excellent hugger if there ever was one. Madi's also a free spirit, a wild and intense lover that goes effortlessly heavy on the affection afterwards because she's a cuddly person by nature.

That's just the thing though, she's like that with everyone. I may be the only one she's fucking right now but with how easily her affection overflows, I might as well be the pizza delivery guy that she jumps at with an overzealous embrace of gratitude for bringing her food. She's just one of those people.

I'm not like that though, I don't intimately entangle myself with just anyone.

When I stand up and start to get dressed, hoping to give her the hint I'd like to make a fast, clean get away from her apartment, Madi's eyes shine with renewed interest instead.

"Where are you off to so quickly?" she asks with a gleaming smile.

"Going to watch the game with a friend," I mutter, trying my best to continue the standoffish don't invite yourself vibe with my tone.

"Who? Jimmy?"

"No. He's pulling an extra shift tonight."

"Clay and Abby?"

"Guess again," I tell her with a laugh. I don't keep that many friends so she's bound to get it soon enough.

She sits up, her hands clapping together excitedly like she figured it out. "You're going somewhere with Trevor, aren't you?"

"You got it," I say as I pull a shirt over my head and run a lazy hand through my hair. My eyes cruise the room for where I left my phone, finding it on the dresser.

Madi springs to her feet. "Perfect. Tell him to bring Lacy. We'll make a double date out of it."

I pump an amused brow at her. "You don't date, Mads."

"Yeah, I know," she says with a shrug. "But I'm always down to go eat and have fun. Especially if you're going to that wing place on Maple." Did she just lick her lips?

"Nope. We're not going there."

That's exactly where we're going.

"Boo," Madi pouts as she pulls her jeans on. "I guess it'll be another boring night for me then." She crosses her arms in front of her chest, an amused glint in her eye. "I think you just don't want me to crash your bro-date."

Yep. "Exactly. Besides, aren't you sick of seeing Trevor? I thought you'd want to avoid seeing him outside of work since he's basically your boss and orders you around all day."

Madi's nose scrunches with a small laugh as she waves me off. "Nah, Trevor's one of the nicer doctors at the hospital. He doesn't treat us lowly nurses like slaves."

"That's good," I comment half heartedly as I check my phone, grinning like a fool at the image that just came through from my sister.

Sadie: Two little chicks at the park. Aren't they the cutest?

They sure are. I stare in awe at the photo of my one year old niece at the playground with her friend, who also happens to be the adorable offspring of my old friend, Tierney. She and Sadie haven't known each other long but people seem to find one another in Oakwood and I'm happy they've connected. Sadie needs all the mom friends she can find.

My heart thrums happily around in my chest at the sight of the two girls playing together but all at once, it sinks with that familiar touch of homesickness I've grown accustomed to. I miss my family. I miss my friends. Shit, I even sort of miss Tierney's chump husband, Callen, who hates me for reasons I will not go into today.

I shoot her a text back and leave Madi in her bedroom as I wander back into the main area of the apartment.

Tommy: I see my goddaughters are getting along nicely. Tell Tee I said hey.

As I'm looking around for my keys and wallet, my phone buzzes with another text.

Sadie: She says hi back. and that she won't tell Callen you just called his baby girl your goddaughter. Says we don't need another reason for him to hate your guts.

Hehe. No, please. Tell him what I said. It's more fun that way.

Sadie: Also, you should come home for Christmas. I know it's only August but I'd like to put in a very special early request to see you this year. The girls miss you.

Tommy: Just the girls? You don't miss me? Austin doesn't miss me?

I laugh to myself at the thought. I know with absolute certainty that Austin does not miss me. I've given that guy way too much shit over the years for seducing my sister.

Sadie: Ha-ha very funny. We all miss you. And Harper will be home, too. I bet Evelyn could be convinced. Let's make it a Sallow family Christmas. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

What Sadie doesn't mention is that we haven't had one of those in really fucking long time. Like, almost twenty years if we're being specific. Not since before Dad went to jail. And all that really entailed was the whole family actually being in the same room together. It doesn't mean we enjoyed ourselves like some kind of big happy family you see in Hallmark movies. 

I honestly sort of hate the holidays and that disdain is directly related to my old man. He ruined so many of them for us growing up, especially Christmas. Every year, almost without fail, that piece of shit managed to fuck up Christmas and it sometimes feels like I'm the only one who remembers it.

Maybe the girls have blocked it out to protect themselves or something, I don't know. Evie might not actually remember, come to think of it. Or maybe she can't separate the holiday nonsense from the regular nonsense that seemed to stretch across our household in those days. Things became the most insane after she was born, coming to a head shortly after her seventh birthday when Dad got locked up. The ugly truth is, she probably never experienced a good Christmas to know any better.

Fuck, leave it to Sadie making a simple request about visiting home to bring my mood down. Evie's probably living it up in London, enjoying all the good food and living her dream of riding on the top part of those double decker buses, and I'm over here being flooded with memories of her robbed childhood. All of ours, to be honest.

Tommy: I'll see what I can do, sis. No promises.

Madi emerges from the bedroom a second later. I look up to see her fully dressed, including jewelry and a new hairstyle. She grabs her shoes and for a minute there, I think she's not going to take no for an answer on my outing with Trevor. Before the impending aggravated groan comes out of my mouth, she catches my eye and smirks.

"I'm heading to dinner with Erin. I'll walk you out," she says with a triumphant smile. Madi's the only person I know who can successfully alter a "boring" night by making plans in the ninety seconds it takes her to get dressed after a bang session.

When we make it out to the parking lot, she wraps her arms around me in a tight hug, the overpowering scent of her perfume almost choking me.

"Enjoy your night, Sallow," she sings out, blowing me a kiss before driving off.

._._._.

When I get to the restaurant, my eyes find the TV first. Mets are down two against the fucking Giants and looking worse out there than I'd like to admit. I'll never hear the end of it if my team loses against Trevor's tonight.

"Tommy! Over here," Trevor's voice comes powering over the noise and my head shifts around to find him at the bar, throwing him a wave as I make my way over and take the seat beside him. Just when I think he's not gonna rub it in, he opens his mouth. "Your team look like shit."

"They always choke when they're up against a garbage team like the Giants. It's like a strategy thing. They'll redeem themselves."

"A strategy thing, right," Trevor shoots back with an eye roll before gesturing to the front door. "You gonna acknowledge my superior seating choices this evening?" he asks with a shit eating grin. "Or are you just gonna ignore the fact that I picked a spot where you can see the entrance like you always insist on doing, even if it means changing mid meal for a better spot."

"That only happened the one time," I blurt out defensively. I'm more amused than anything though. We all have our quirks. One of mine happens to be that I feel better when I can see who comes and goes in a public place. "But thanks, man. For catering to my needs and for making me feel like a weirdo about them at the same time."

"It's not weird," he assures me with a slap to my shoulder. "I just like busting your balls about it. I've never known anyone so aware of their surroundings as you. I'm sure it—" Trevor stops talking suddenly and inhales a sharp breath through his nose in my direction. "Would it have killed you to take a shower before coming?"

Shit. He doesn't have to say it, it's the damn perfume.

"Come on, it's not that bad."

"Sorry, man. But I can tell you were just with her," Trevor says with a laugh. "Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with Madi. Although I can't believe you two are still hooking up... I just associate that strong ass perfume smell with work. I've spent too much time holed up in the nurses' station while we work on that damn medical trial." He shakes his head, looking utterly put out with the accidental trauma I've created by coming to the restaurant smelling like one of his charge nurses tonight.

This is just another thing Trevor likes to bust my balls about, that from the buffet of attractive women around town, I seemed to hit it off with someone he works with, someone who occasionally runs her mouth about our late night escapades and he has to hear stories from time to time.

Oops. Not really though. I think it's fucking hilarious. I especially loved the time we met up after work one day and he proclaimed, loudly, to the whole damn bar, "Hey man, I just heard about how big your dick is. Congrats." That was a good one. I don't know what his game plan was with that announcement but neither of us paid for a single drink that night. I also got a round of applause.

Trevor takes a long swig from his beer before adding, "You can't deny she puts too much of that damn perfume on. I go home with a headache whenever she's on my shift."

"Yeah well, I never see her for more than an hour," I tell him with a filthy smirk, knowing I probably wouldn't want to spend an entire shift inhaling whatever it is she wears. It doesn't smell bad really. It's just strong and less is definitely more. I can tell Trevor agrees as he begins a low-key rant.

"She's not the only one who does that either. They all do it," he says with a frustrated grumble. "And for what reason? I mean, women smell good all by themselves. With the soap they use and those natural pheromones. Shit. No need to cover it up with a bunch of chemicals."

Stifling a laugh at his deep opinion on the matter, I feel the need to remind him, "Some of us have to endure the fragrance, man. We don't all have a Lacy waiting for us at home."

Trevor smiles to himself. "No, we don't. She's all mine."

I leave him in his mushy memory moment while I check my buzzing phone. It's my mom this time. I read her text once and then two more times to be sure I read it right.

Ma: Heard back from Broman. He said possible parole in six months if all goes through. I told him to call you and give you the rest of the details himself. Haven't told the girls yet. Keep it to yourself for now.

Fuck. Just what we need. I had a feeling it was coming but I'm just not ready. None of us are.

"Everything okay?" Trevor asks, keeping his voice low as he studies the concern I'm sure is written all over my face.

I look up at him, force a smile. "Yeah. Just family shit."

"I get it," Trevor mutters with a nod before perking up a bit. "Oh hey, speaking of family... my mom's throwing a little end of summer barbeque on Saturday. You should come by if you're not working."

I nod enthusiastically, never one to turn down a good burger and potato salad. "I should be able to swing by. That sounds good, man. Thanks for the invite."

Trevor's face turns evil and I hold my breath. "You can bring Madi if you want," he says with a smug ass grin, sounding like he's holding back a laugh of his own this time.

"Fuck you," I laugh. "You know you don't bring the hookup girl to a family barbeque."

Trevor's shoulders shake with a silent laugh as his hands come up in surrender. "Just throwing the feelers out there, in case you were entertaining the possibility of making her something more. I could learn to deal with the perfume if I had to see her more often outside of work. I won't even hold my nose around her."

This fucking guy.

"Trust me," I reassure him. "You don't have to worry about that."

Sad as it may sound, Madi would probably do a happy dance if I invited her along to a family get together but that'll never happen. One of us has to keep the lines clear when it comes to what it is we're doing and that's nothing more than relieving a need when it arises. Mixing that need with family and friends is when things get sticky. She may not see it that way with her little social butterfly tendencies but I know where to separate the two. 

Everything is more delicate when it comes to family. Trevor knows that. And I sure as hell know that.

The Mets finally score again, distracting me a little from the woes of my current sex life and the fact that I'm drowning in this fucking perfume smell. I order another beer and try to focus on the game but all I can think about is that text from my mom, the one that's about to make things in my family a whole lot more delicate.

Family is so fucking delicate.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

7K 376 18
cover made by @lilyreindeer Where two friends decide to overstep boundaries to get over their exes. 𝐀𝐕𝐀 ( 𝐍𝐎𝐇 𝐉𝐈𝐇𝐘𝐄) - After her fallout w...
185K 9.2K 39
Sugar McKenzie and August Wakefield couldn't be more different - Sugar, a meticulous, caring, but lonely paramedic and August, a charming former real...
1.4M 40.7K 44
Clara Bowen has had a troubled life. Her family, being very religous, has entrapped her into a life hidden from the real world. Now Clara is given th...
1.2M 37K 35
Mystique Amberson is a Senior in high school and lives with her older stepsister who has never had to work a day in her life and after she became eig...