My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

By _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
Epilogue

19

5.5K 339 6
By _Becca_Lynn__

**** Beau and Brett worked their way around the new arena. Brett held the post straight as his younger brother filled and packed the dirt.

"How's Kaylee doin'? She was in bad shape last week."

Beau cursed under his breath. It had been over a week since he'd had to go get his daughter.

"You know my girl. She's back to 100%, she's also a bit annoyed with her mother and myself. We check up on her a little to much by her opinion."

Brett chuckled. He'd been there when Beau had brought the girl home. She'd been pale as a ghost, not a hint of her usual spark. Sensing that someone needed to change the subject, Brett went on.

"Rowdy said he and the munchkin will be here to help, later." Brett said as he straightened.

"Poor kid," Beau said, "She's been through a lot in only a few months. I don't know very many adults that would of come through as much in one piece." He shook his head, "All this happened at a really bad time though."

The agent nodded, "I know, I'm not sure how much we'll be able to shield her from." He looked in the direction of Wolf Mountain. "Bear said some hikers disappeared on the mountain last week." He shook his head. "I don't know. I have this feelin' that somethin' bad's about to happen, and this time..." he shook his head and looked down at his boots.

Beau agreed, "Rowdy and I both feel the same. In the Rangers, you're taught to go with your gut. I know you did with the SEALs as well."

Before Brett could answer they turned when an old beat up, four door Chevy truck rolled to a halt. The bed was filled with fencing supplies.

Rowdy stepped out and raised a hand to the men, as he walked around the truck to help a shy, beautiful little girl out of a booster seat in the back. The closer Rowdy and Charity came to her uncles, the tighter she plastered herself to his side.

Charity was trying to remember the men's names. She had met more men in the weeks here on the ranch than she had known her entire life. She had only known Grandpa Mike, her mama's father who had been old and sick, the principal at her school and the supervisor at Child Services and her foster father.

'These guys aren't old and sick. They're big, even bigger than Uncle Rowdy. One of them had pretty eyes, just like Aunt Bobbi... Beau! That's his name! That one's Uncle Beau.'

She liked Beau, she was a bit in awe of him having seen videos of his bull riding days.

That made her feel so much better, she was having trouble remembering names, there were just so many... Uncles, aunts and cousins.

'Now... what was the other one's name? Beau, Bobbi, Billy... no, that wasn't it. Beau, Bobbi, umm it has an R in it. Bro... Bri... Bro... Bre...OH! Brett! Uncle Brett!'

She was so proud of herself. Looking up at her new father and she pulled on the hand that held hers.

"I remembered their names all by myself this time, you didn't have to help me." She announced with a smile. He gave the small hand a gentle squeeze.

"See? I told you it wouldn't take long. There's a lot for anyone to remember, honey. Just give yourself some time and we'll give you all the help you need, all you have ta do is ask."

"Hi there, Munchkin! How are you feelin' today?"  Brett, smiled and tipped his hat.

Charity smiled shyly and answered, "I'm okay, Uncle Brett, are you okay, Uncle Brett?"

Both men smiled, delighted that their niece was interacting with and becoming more comfortable with them.

"I'm feelin' very okay." Brett said smiling. "I'd feel a whole lot better if all these fence posts were in the ground."

She looked at the posts and post hole digger and looked at the men, "I can help." She said, ready to jump into ranch work.

"Well now," Beau began, "that would be real nice. We don't get to work along side pretty girls very often."

Charity grinned, giggled and shrugged. "I can pour dirt in the hole and I can stomp it down too, I can stomp really good."

"Can ya now?" Beau asked smiling. "Well now, that sure would be a big help." He found a wooden 2x2 that was about three feet long, light enough for her to handle. He gave the last hole more tamping as an example.

"Ok, Uncle Beau." she said taking the wooden tamper. "How many do we have to do?" She asked looking at how many the men had already completed.

Rowdy pointed to the string line guide that ended at the next paddock. The men all turned aside so she wouldn't see their smiles as her eyes widened in dismay.

"Oooo. That's lot of stomping, but I can do it."

She worked steadily tamping the dirt around fence posts for about thirty minutes. Beau was about to call a halt before she got sore or wore blisters on her hands when his daughters came around the barn on a four wheeler.

"We've been looking for you, Charity," Ava spoke to her cousin grinning. "Nana is going to make cookies and wants to know if you'll come help."

"Cookies?" The eight year old said. She looked at the distance they still had to complete and then at Rowdy crestfallen. "But, I promised to help with all these fence things.."

"Go on, honey. Have some fun and make us some cookies." Rowdy told her with a smile. "You've worked enough for today. Maybe you can help make enough extras for us to swipe some for some milk and cookies tonight." He said.

"Really? It... it's ok to quit? There's still a lot more dirt to stomp."

"That's ok, sweetheart. Extra cookies will be a real good reason for us to do it by ourselves." Rowdy assured her and the other men nodded.

Beau said, "Maybe you can help Nana remember to make some chocolate chip cookies for me."

"Me too," Brett said. "Mmm mmm, with walnuts. I can taste 'em now. You make sure there's enough left for us, maybe even a few sprinkles, ok?"

Charity grinned, "Ok. I'll make sure."

Brett picked her up and after giving her a quick kiss on the head, he placed her on the four wheeler in front of Kaylee.

"Thanks for helping, honey," Beau told her seriously. "Sure goes faster when you've got so much extra help and and having such pretty help is a major bonus."

"You're welcome, Uncle Beau. Can I help again another time?"

"Sure you can," Brett said. "You can help anytime. I'm always glad to work with a pretty girl."

"Have fun," Rowdy called as Kaylee backed the four wheeler around and they began to zoom across the land.

"Keep it to a minimum, speed demon," Beau called to their backs. Both his daughters raised one hand to let him know they had heard... not that they would comply... but they had heard.

***

Later that day, Kaylee, and Ava went out riding. Charity was beginning to stiffen up from all the tamping and stomping and was happy to stay and "help" her gramma that she had begun to call Lillie.

Beau had insisted that the girls take a hand with them. It didn't take them long to ask if it be Topper, Kaylee in particular had a huge crush him. A

For extra safety Topper strapped a rifle and scabbard to his and Kaylee's saddle. Kaylee preferred her father's Winchester .40/40 lever action. While Ava had borrowed Rowdy's revolver.  Both girls were well trained in firearms safety and were very skilled with their weapons.

Ava used hers for safety only, but Kaylee loved to hunt with the guys and more than once had taken down larger game than the others. A fact Beau was very proud to boast about.

It was the girls turn to ride the fence on the North range and keep a record of breaks in the wire. Hope, happily loped along side Nugget and Casper. Nugget. The gold gelding tossed his head playfully and nickered as they passed Skeeter. (A red and white painted filly.)

The wolf stopped as she and the filly studied each other, then stretched their necks and touched noses.

Kaylee looked at her sister. "Did you see that new hand dad hired? Is he cute or what?! His name's Spencer. Kyle and Eli have become good friends with him."

Ava nodded, "I did. He's soooo hot! I saw him tossing hay bails... without his shirt on." She whispered conspiratorially. "My goodness! And talk about hot," she looked conspiratorially at her sister and lowered her voice. "He's almost as buff and hot as Topper!"

Ava gasped, "I know, right!? I almost feel as safe and warm with him as with Dad and uncle Rowdy! And that beautiful,  long, black hair,"

"I know, he doesn't cut it out of respect for his native American mother. Just being around him makes me feel so, so WOW!"

Both girls thought they had kept their voices down and out of Topper's hearing. However, a newly ordained minister and trusted ranch hand Topper silently chuckled and rolled his eyes. The hot guy conversation was testing his mettle.

Kaylee was in full agreement. "Did you see his arm muscles? He must workout alot. Oooo, did you know Topper works out every day?"

"I know! He does a lot of that Kung Foo stuff like Chuck Norris. It's so cool to watch!"

"I'll bet, Spencer works out with him sometimes. I think Topper is teaching him some new moves!Anyway,, I found out that he's eighteen and he saves his money up to help pay for his mom's medical bills."

Ava's eyes were as big as saucers, "Really? What's wrong with his mom."

Kaylee shugged, "He didn't really say what kind, just that she has cancer. He said his mother only has about been taking those cancer treatments for six months, and that it's really hard on her." She shugged. "He refused to say anything more about it."

"I can understand why, but..."

The rest of their conversation was lost on Topper as he looked around them. He suddenly had an uneasy feeling about being out here. "Ladies, it's time to turn 'round and head for home."

It was at that moment Hope stopped dead in her tracks, catching the girls and Topper's attention. The wolf lowered her head as her hackles rose and a venomous snarl leaked through her bared teeth.

Topper drew out his rifle and spun his gelding around as he looked for danger. This was a prime spot for an ambush. Too many places to hide.

"What's wrong girl?" Ava asked her K9 friend.

Before they knew what was happening, a huge, white timber wolf charged out from behind a large bolder. Both animals were immediately caught up in a vicious fight. Yelps of pain, snarls, and growls filled the air. The girls watched in horror as red blood stained the fur of both animals, and the ground around them.

Topper aimed his rifle at the white wolf, "I can't shoot, I might hit Hope! Ride for home girls, as hard as you can!" He grabbed the walkie talker off his belt and reported "May day, may day request assistance at..." and gave their coordinates. Go girls he called over his shoulder, "Don't get off your horses!" He steadied his dun gelding and aimed at the white wolf. "Girls get outta here...go! Get back to the ra..."

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Two bullets slammed into his chest and shoulder. Topper was thrown off his horse and back three or four feet. He landed hard on his back and lay still. Bright red blood had splattered the geldings neck, and saddle.

"Topper!" Kaylee screamed as she watched his shirt turn red. She went to jump off her horse, but was stopped when Ava grabbed her arm.

"Stay on your horse!" Tears slid down Ava's cheeks as she shook her head. She was afraid Topper was gone, his eyes were closed and she couldn't see if his chest was expanding.

With their attention on the pair of wolves and Topper the two girls didn't notice the men on the ridge or those coming up behind them until it was to late.

Kaylee was dragged off of Nugget's back with a scream. Using her training, Kaylee slammed the ball of her hand into her attacker's nose. He yelled in agony, blood spilling down his chin. Kaylee couldn't help but be satisfied at the crunching sound.

Ava spun her horse around and aimed her revolver at the man holding her sister.

"Let... her... go!" She demanded. Fear slid down her spine as she watched José Rodriguez place a razor sharp blade close to her sister's throat.

He grinned, "Hola, Ava. ¿Por qué no se le cae el weopen?" He said in Spanish. (Hello, Ava. Why don't you drop your weapon?)

The teenager glared at the man and spat back in perfect Spanish. "Ocultando behide su arma y los hombres! ¿Crees que eres tan duro. Un hombre grande, sosteniendo mi hermana!" (Hiding behind your gun and men! You think you're so tough. A big man, holding my sister!)

His men tried to hide their smiles as he tightened his grip on Kaylee. She whimpered as a small stream of blood slid down her throat.

"Oh, mira yo la corté. Ahora bajarse de su caballo y tirar el fusil de distancia o corté la garganta!" (Oh, look I cut her. Now get off your horse and toss the gun away or I'll cut her throat!)

Ava watched as slight stream of blood ran down her sister's throat.

Kaylee watched her sister, "No! Ava don't!"

José jerked her. "Shut up!" He snapped.

Ava tossed weapon away but could not dismount without help. One of the men grabbed her arms and tried to drag her off Casper. Pain shot through her spine, as he tugged until he noticed the straps that held her to the saddle. Casper tried to bite Ramone until he put a gun to the geldings head and ordered Ava to make him stop. He cut the straps and pulled Ava off the horse.

Before anyone could stop her, Ava cried out a command to Hope and the horses in French. "Allez! Allez chercher de l'aide!" (Go! Go get help!)

The Nugget and Hope darted away and Top's horse ran with them. Many of the men fired at them as they ran. "No!" The girls cried.

José slapped Ava across the cheek, "What did you just tell the beasts?!"

Ava smiled defiently at him, and fingering her now split and bloody lip. "Eres tan inteligente, te diste cuenta!" She spat back. (You're so smart, you figure it out!)

José smiled and walked up to Casper. Ave screamed, "Don't...!!"

It was to late, José placed the muzzle of his Smith & Wesson .44 to the gelding head and pulled the trigger. The girls screamed as the horse reared back with a scream of it own. The horrific image would forever be burned into their minds.

That was the last thing Ava remembered before she saw the evil man's huge fist, and her world went black.

***

Rowdy and Beau were finishing the rodeo arena. Brett grinned as Trish brought the three men a basket full of food and a gallon of iced tea. When he noticed the smirks on the other men's faces, he growled and turned away.

"Well, if that's not a beautiful site." Beau said.

She smiled back, "I assume you mean the food?" Then to Rowdy, "I saw Charity up at the main house with Lillie. She's such a beautiful child."

Brett smirked down at her. "That too."

Rowdy rolled his eyes as he watched his friend and grinned at Beau. "I think she is." Then murmured to Beau, "Is that how I looked with Bobbi?"

Beau chuckled, "Worse." He finished pounding in the last nail and laughed. "Come to think of it, I probably have the same look with Drina."

All three men thanked her for the lunch and chugged down a glass of tea. "You know, Drina was right. A yearly rodeo will help give our clients somethin' to work towards. As well as bring them and our hands closer. I'm leavin' for the hospital as soon as I get back, Rowdy. I'll be staying in town while I'm finishing my residency."

Rowdy nodded, and was about to add to that when Hope howled from a distance. All work stopped. The hands close to the barn joined Beau, Brett and Rowdy as the wolf came running at full speed and the two horses made for the stable.

One of the hands called out, "Boss, it's Top's gelding! His saddle's covered in blood!"

Worried now Beau ran to Hope, "What's wrong, girl?"

Hope let out a long pained whine, "Okay girl,  show me!"

She did. Hope turned to show him the deep bite marks and one bullet graze. It was then he noticed all the blood that was soaking her fur.

Hope grabbed his jeans leg and pulled, then ran a few feet turned and yelped. Beau turned to his men and called out, "Mount up!"

"Come on!" Rowdy called to some of the men. "Saddle up! Brett, you stay behind and let pop's know!"

Brett nodded and headed for the main house where Yancy was putting the finishing touches on Charity's sleep over room. The men Rowdy called to all ran for weapons, then jumped on their horses (most not bothering to get their saddles) and took off.

***

Rowdy leapt off his still moving horse and ran to the downed cowboy and felt for a pulse. After finding a very weak one he stripped off his shirt and bunched it under the cowboys head, then unbuttoned the injured mans shirt to check the wounds and staunch the blood flow.

"He's alive... barely. I need those first aid kits!" He yelled, but soon realized he didn't have to. Each of the men were already bringing their own forward.

Topper opened his eyes and tried to speak. He coughed to clear his throat and grabbed Rowdy's hand.

"Take it easy, Top." Beau said as he knelt down. He winced internally as he watched the blood spill down from the corner of the younger man's mouth. Beau knew from experience that one of the cowboys lungs had been hit, possibly collasped.

"Boss..." Topper coughed more blood from his throat. "The girls. They took... them. I failed them, I'm sorry, boss."

The men looked at each other. Rowdy saw anger and fear in Beau's blue eyes.

"Don't talk, Top. You did your job by keeping them alive. Now it's up to us to do the rest." Beau said. "Right now save your strength. Tad's callin' for the helo now."

The light in Topper's eyes began to fade as Beau and Rowdy looked at each other. Rowdy shook his head, letting Beau know there was nothing more he could do for Topper here.

"Top! You hang in there! That's an order soldier! You hear me?!" Beau snapped.

The cowboy nodded. "East... they went East, sir." He coughed once again. One hand went feebly up to his forehead in a weak salute. "It was an honor to serve with you..." he looked up at Rowdy, "both of you."

Beau looked up at Tad who lowered his cell phone. "Hang on, Topper. Help's on the way."

Topper reached down and worked a single bullet free of his gun belt. He then placed the same bloodied hand into Beau's and pressed a bullet into his palm. "When you find 'em, sir..." cough, "give them this... for... me."

Beau nodded, "You have my word."

"I never thanked you... for... savin' me... that... day, Boss. It was... an... honor to... serve... by your... siiide."

"Rangers never leave a man behind, Top. And, it was my..." Topper lost consciousness as his hand dropped from Beau's, and before his boss could finish.

Beau watched as Rowdy felt his wrist for a pulse, it was there but weak. Topper's eyes were closed and Rowdy clasped his friend's shoulder. "Don't give up on him, Beau, he's strong and he has a heck of a will to live. He has too many bones to dig up and too many souls to save, besides too many females would kill us all if we didn't bring him back alive."

Beau smiled, my own young females as well." He then squeezed his eyes tight for a moment,  removed his hat and bowed his head for a silent prayer. His training as a Ranger took over as he looked around at his men.

Each man had removed his hat and lowered his head. They all liked and respected Topper, and enjoyed working with him. He always gave 100% in whatever he did, was always one of the first to step up and volunteer, or work to raised their spirits. He had been holding Sunday services at the ranch for those who weren't able to attend regular services due to the distance.

They all pushed it aside for now and dropped into military mode. The girls were gone, and Topper would be, and was the first to put the girls before himself. It was what he would want them to do.

"Fan out!" Rowdy ordered. "Locate any and all clues as to who these men were and where they took our girls!"

The men spread out and began searching the area. Tad squeezed Beau's shoulder and joined the men.

Beau and Rowdy were covering Topper with a saddle blanket to forestall shock when they heard a man call out.

"Boss!" Both men turned and ran to the cowboy.

"What is it?" Beau called as both he and Rowdy climbed up a boulder.

Young David pointed to a huge, white wolf at the base of the huge rock. Beau and Rowdy slid down and checked the animal.

"It's them! This is what Hope tangled with!" Rowdy snapped

"Looks like it," Beau said, "They must have had to put it down because it was hurt too bad to go with them. She had become a problem and they eliminated it."

Rowdy nodded, "Top said 'They' took the girls!" He looked up, and grabbed his friends shoulder.

When Beau looked at him, Rowdy pointed several feet away. Both men looked away from the sight of the destroyed gelding.

Beau sighed, "I hope Casper was already dead when they turned the wolves loose on him."

Rowdy nodded, "He was. They most likely made the girls watch him die first. We have to get then back."

Sickend to the core from what he'd just seen, Rowdy climbed back up the side of the rocks and headed for his wife who had just joined the posse. She looked a bit frightened and a lot mad.

"Rowdy? Who..."

"Topper's hurt, he's in bad shape. I need your walkie." He said smoothly.

Bobbi looked at the change that had come over all the men. The cowboys were gone. In their place stood trained, seasoned soldiers.

She gave Rowdy the walkie as Beau joined them. His face was pale, and tight.

Rowdy took the walkie and spoke into it. "Brett, this is Rowdy."

Bobbi felt like throwing up. What kind of people were they dealing with.

"Brett here."

"Bad news, man. We need ya to get on the horn. Get Koni and her team out here ASAP... Topper's hurt bad, and the girls are missin'. The kid nappers shot Casper and fed his body to the wolves. We need the Sheriff here yesterday!"

They heard Nico's voice in the background, already on the phone with the 911 operator. Trish and Genny's loud, "Oh no!" 

The mood around the posse was solemn as they listened.

"Rowdy, son, do you need us to come and meet you at the scene?" That was Yancy.

"No, pop. Beau has assigned a two man team to stand watch over the scene and tend to Top until the chopper gets here. We can't move him by horse, he wouldn't survive the trip. The rest of us are headed back ta base. Get all our remainin' boys together. Maps, weapons. War paint. I don't give a fu..."

Rowdy glanced at his wife who raised a brow at him, "I don't care. All our gear. The Rangers are back in business!" He gave the location and as luck would have it, the truck A.K.A "The portable clinic" could make the trip. One of the nurses could be working on a patient as another was prepping the clinic and alerting the hospital.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 527 18
The AK's, and Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Mal are all in their senior year of school. Ben broke Mal's heart by cheating on her with Audrey. Carlos swooped...
114K 7.8K 46
Tanner West struggles to protect everything he's ever known when a deadly threat comes for his family, including the love of his life Liana Forbes, w...
577K 31.8K 67
❝Human by Day and Wolf by Night.❞ But what would you do if you saw one in broad daylight? - * - Abigail wasn't prepared to hear that she and h...
1.1K 183 23
What would you do if you were married for 30 years and on your 30th wedding anniversary your husband up and leaves? He never gave you a reason as to...