resist the siren's call

By OfficialMaraudersMap

Astrid is a Siren, her only purpose in life is seducing men until she can drown them in the murky depths of t... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
Behind The Scenes + Spotify Link

22

1.2K 58 6
By OfficialMaraudersMap

"People will stare. Make it worth their while."

I could hear the violins through the door and waited for the foot men to open them.

"Name and-" A man with a small list said before looking up at me. He turned to the man with the fancy stick and whispered in his ear.

"I'm Astrid." I said just in case.

"Oh we know."

"Astrid, the siren!" The guy tapped his stick on the ground.

Everyone already in the ballroom turned to look at me. Whispers spread through the room, and I suddenly felt very self conscious.

I felt someone come up behind me, perhaps only a few feet. I turned, and was genuinely surprised to see Caspian.

"Everyone is looking at me." I blurted.

He smiled and looked to the ground, "You went from an exotic creature to an exotic woman in less than a month, that's bound to get people talking."

I placed my hand on my stomach, feeling sick, "This isn't a good idea."

Caspian extended an arm that I subconsciously took, "Don't think about them," He waited until I looked into his eyes, "It's only you and me. I'm just teaching a siren how to dance."

I gained confidence when those crowding the dance floor cleared for us, "Would you like to dance, Astrid?"

Something about the way he said my name...

I nodded and grabbed his hand, letting him lead me into a dance.

The song the orchestra played was different than what we practiced to. It was more piano based than the other one, but it felt more fitting to what the night felt like.

"What are you thinking about?" Caspian whispered in my ear.

Shivers ran down my spine, "This pianist is very skilled." I whispered back.

He twirled me around, pulling me back closely, "You seem to be getting better at this."

I looked to those in the crowd looking at us, "Who else will you dance with tonight?"

My question seemed to surprise him, but he recovered quickly, "Not very many others. I'm not much if a fan of dancing."

I looked to him with feigned betrayal, "And here I thought you were some kind of dancing connoisseur."

He smiled as we stepped back, letting the tune move us more than we did ourselves, "Of course not, I just can't pass up a time to make you look bad."

"Comparatively, I am far more skilled in every other area."

"Perhaps, but I outshine you in the arts."

"There aren't outlets for art under the ocean."

"What do you spend your time doing? In your free time?"

"Hunting men."

He pursed his lips, "I think I prefer dancing."

I laughed as we spun through the room.

I tried to follow Calliste's instructions on etiquette but I wanted to burst into laughter when his face morphed when he looked into the crowd, "Look at the gentleman in the silver coat when we switch spots." He instructed.

When I faced the left half of the crowd I had to bite my younger to not laugh. He was wearing a toupee, however, it was crooked and half off the right side of his scalp, "Oh dear."

The music was magical as he spun me and lifted me. Near the end I asked, "Why is nobody else dancing?"

He smirked, "I have no idea what you mean."

"So you're choosing not to tell me. I understand." I smiled to the crowd.

Every woman in the crowd had one of three expressions: the telling face of jealousy, the confusing face of thoughtfulness, and the off putting face of those select few who looked star eyed for them. The last was definitely the one that made me the most uncomfortable, what about us made them so...happy.

I turned back to Caspian and remembered how close we were, "I think there is a reason behind this dance that you aren't telling me about."

"Perhaps Calliste will tell you."

The music slowed to a stop. Caspian led me to the side before parting from me.

I stood for a moment, trying to slow my beating heart.

I sighed before I walked over to Calliste and Nixie with my hands clutched near my stomach, "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?"

"I think it's just you and the Prince." She nudged my arm.

"Oh hush." I watched him select another woman from the crowd and lead her to the dance floor.

"Come on Astrid, the tension between you two was-"

"I don't want to hear about it." I could feel my face turn green.

"Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "I'll be fine."

I closed my eyes and tried to slow the speed of my mind and heart. "Calliste? Why wasn't anyone dancing while Caspian and I were?"

I opened my eyes to the dance floor flooded with pairs of dancers, the one in the center being Caspian and some lovely lady.

"That, Astrid, was the first dance."

I turned to her, "And what does that mean?"

"Well typically the first dance is between the most relevant person in the room and whoever they choose to dance with." She looked to the crowd of dancers, "It was brilliant of Prince Caspian to ask you to be the first dance."

"And he's the most relevant because he's the Prince."

"That's the brilliant thing. When you came in, nobody knew who would be more relevant: you or Prince Caspian."

"Why would I be at competition of relevance with a Prince?"

She side-eyed me, "Have you suddenly forgotten that this whole ball is in your honor?"

I looked at him in the crowd, "So him asking me to dance first was to avoid a power struggle."

"Maybe, or it was because he wanted to ask you."

Before I had time to stew on either possibility, the dance ended and a man walked up to me. He extended his hand, "Would you like to dance?"

I smiled and curtseyed. He took my hand and led me to the floor.

"I realise I haven't introduced myself. I am Lord Byron."

"I am Astrid."

He kept a tight grip on my waist as we waltzed, "So you're the one everyone has been talking about."

"Oh? We're you not here for the demonstration?" I smiled innocently.

"No. I was out of town, but my girls saw it. They said it inspired them."

I smiled, "Lord Byron, why did you ask me to dance?"

He took a moment to answer, "You seem to have everyone here captivated; it's as if you've out them all under a spell." For the first time so far, he broke eye contact to look over my shoulder, "Even our dear Prince." He looked back at me, "I'm trying to find what's so special about you."

"Let me know if you find anything."

We mostly danced in thoughtful silence until the dance ended. He leaned over my hand, "There's something about you, Princess Astrid."

"I'm not..." Lord Byron was already gone. Disappeared into the crowd.

I slowly walked back to Calliste.

"What did Lord Byron want?" She sipped on her glass of champagne.

"He called me..."

Someone tapped my shoulder, "Would you like to dance?"

I turned to see a tall, blonde man around my age extending his hand in invitation.

I gave a forced smile, "Of course."

He led me to the dance floor. I didn't notice I was in a different world until he said, "What's on your mind?"

My checks flushed, "I'm so sorry, I-" I looked over his shoulder and locked eyes with Caspian. I looked down, "Someone just said the strangest thing to me."

"Ah, you must be talking about Lord Byron."

I looked into his dark brown eyes, "How did you..."

"It doesn't take a detective to see who you were dancing with just a moment ago." He gave a reassuring kind of smile, "Don't worry about him, he's a bit eccentric but he has an amazing intuition. Do you mind if I ask what he said?"

"Oh, nothing. I must've misheard."

"If he insulted your appearance you should be glad to know you are the most stunning woman here."

I let a breathy laugh fill the air, "No, of course he didn't. But thank you."

"It's impressive what you can do to people."

I pursed my lips, "Most wouldn't call it impressive."

He lifted my up in correspondence with the song, "I would. Dangerous, but impressive."

The dance ended and he kissed my hand, "Enjoy yourself, Astrid."

I looked down at my hand, "Wait," I looked up to him, "I didn't get your name."

He turned and smiled, "Phillip."

I rushed over Calliste, "I am not accepting another dance until I talk to you." I pulled her to a table in the corner and set her down.

"What? What happened?" She grabbed a champagne glass from a waiter.

"Okay, Lord Byron called me princess and this Phillip guy is confusing. What's going on?"

Calliste spay her drink up slightly, standing she loudly said, "Lord Byron-"

I pulled her down and shushed her.

"Sorry, but, Lord Byron called you what?"

"It was the strangest thing," I grabbed the champagne glass from her hand and downed half of it before handing it back, "We were talking and he told me I had a spell over everyone but especially Caspian. Then when we stopped dancing he bowed and said goodbye to me, only he called me 'Princess Astrid', he said it with an irritating smile too so I know he meant something by it."

Calliste stared, wide-eyed at me for a moment before downing the rest of the champagne. She called over a waiter and grabbed two glasses, handing the second to me, "This is the best worst news." She mumbled into her glass, "Too soon Byron."

I finished the champagne when I saw another male trying to reach our table, "Please ask Calliste. Please ask Calliste. Please ask Calliste." I mumbled.

"May I have this dance?" He asked me.

I put on a smile and stood, "Of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 447 20
"Seven Sirens rule the seas, each singing a different song. each telling a different story, to which Siren does your heart belong." 1. ~The Silent...
50 0 6
A deep sea adventure about a mermaid who follows a Viking ship and a pirate ship and finds out the wonders of the sea. She helps them along their jou...
18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
39.5K 2.6K 74
When Arriana was born Deaf, it solved more problems than it caused. Unable to hear the call of the sirens who raised her, she never saw a problem. W...