when i was your man - A Sana...

By ZoEird

Dahyun goes to her former favorite café and sings Bruno Mars's "When I Was Your Man", and instantly regrets i... More

when i was your man

448 50 41
By ZoEird

It was still early in the morning; 7:54, the clock displayed, as Kim Dahyun already finished cleaning everything else up and tidying herself. There was nothing to do but for the people to stay inside during the weekend since it was wintertime in Korea.  She then decided to go to her former favorite café to start the day.

She was only a few minutes away from the said venue, so she decided to walk. She didn't bother bringing an umbrella, she wore a thick coat that was serving its purpose, and to her, that was enough. After the short walk, she was then met by the café door, swinging it ajar. She started looking around, sighing.

"Ah, Kim! Want free cake and a croissant?" Ji-Eun, the owner of the café, walked from the backroom to the counter and welcomed the younger as if she hadn't been gone for so long. She knows Dahyun, as she used to come by every once in a while. "Add my usual tea," she replies to Ji-Eun as she walked towards the counter, taking her wallet out from her bag, "And thank you, IU, but I'm paying for those." she followed, and flashed her a small smile.

She quickly glanced at the piano sitting at the corner of the empty café and decided to use it. She sat down and tested the keys, making the owner's head shoot up, whilst making the pale-skinned girl's hot beverage. "Looking to play? I haven't really had anyone come around that knows how to use it." Ji-Eun states as the younger could only nod.

She started to sing Bruno Mars's "When I Was Your Man":

Same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now

She remembers the way they shared her king-sized bed. Dahyun gets up first, leaving for work early in the morning, only to leave the other wondering where she went; she doesn't leave notes. She never did.

Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same

She remembers the way the other loved listening to Miki Matsubara's "Stay With Me". The other often tells her to dance along, only for Dahyun to reason out, "I'm not good at dancing."

When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down

She remembers how much she stayed in her room, contemplating about what she's done. The small circle of people she trusts giving her attention, comforting her, and telling her that it'll get better; she hated it. She didn't want them reminding her about the other.

'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name

She remembers the moment she met the other as clear as day. "Minatozaki Sana, nice to meet you!"

With her vision getting blurry, hot tears began to flow from her eyes, falling on the white piano keys, and to her fingertips. Ji-Eun could only smile sadly towards her direction, well aware that the last time she sat on the same piano chair was when she was playing a piece, completely ignoring Sana when she was beside her, asking the Korean to teach her how to play the instrument.

It all just sounds like ooh, ooh, ooh,
Too young, too dumb to realize

She'd noticed it a little too late; how much love she had for the older. She began to drag herself through the days without Sana, regretting everything. Every morning she had to do the same cycle; go to work, do the usual things, she was surprised that she was still alive, looking like she was holding the situation pretty well, albeit slowly losing the strength to her. She missed the Japanese; she didn't deny it anymore.

That I should've bought you flowers,
And held your hand

She wondered how the Japanese had to bear with her for five months, showing almost no signs of love, care, and affection, thinking that sleeping beside Sana every single day was enough. She didn't see the need to buy flowers, chocolates, or anything she knew that the older likes, especially during their day in every month, even on their 100th day, or just to get Sana's attention.

Should've gave you all my hours
When I had the chance

Dahyun was a workaholic. She wanted to strive so she wouldn't worry about anything else. She was clueless that Sana was the one she should have been worried for all along, skipping meals, waiting for Dahyun to come home, but the Japanese never shows her. The pale-skinned girl often brought home take-outs—she'd already eaten outside with her colleagues, and only takes with her the best leftovers.

Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance

Dahyun remembers the way she oftentimes comes home to Sana dancing gracefully, counting her steps, and repeating it, even if it already looked flawless to her. She looked in awe, though she never really told the latter to 'show her some moves', or that she danced all too well.

Now, my baby's dancing
But she's dancing with another man

As soon as she pictured the older without her, she tries to forget as quickly as it got to her head. She hated the thought of Sana with another person, but she couldn't blame her. She often drowns herself in the thought of no one wanting to stay with someone like her for the rest of her life.

My pride, my ego, my needs, and my selfish ways
Caused a good strong woman like you to walk out my life

She didn't think about how difficult it would be for her if Sana had decided to cut herself off Dahyun's life. Only then did she think about it when the Japanese was filled to the brim; she got to her limit, and called Dahyun out as prideful, egotistic, needy, and selfish, and ended things between them, literally walking away from the Korean.

Now I'll never, never get to clean up the mess I made, oh
And it haunts me every time I close my eyes

Thinking about the damage she's done to Sana, she doesn't think it's possible for her to love again. She doesn't want to scare and scar anyone anymore, afraid that the same thing might happen, and she's to blame for it. This became her former favorite café because going here made her feel the pain she made Sana feel when they were together. She tried to avoid the memories, hence the reason why Ji-Eun hasn't seen her for some time.

It all just sounds like ooh, ooh, ooh
Too young, too dumb to realize
That I should've bought you flowers
And held your hand
Should've gave you all my hours
When I had the chance
Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance
Now my baby's dancing
But she's dancing with another man

Ji-Eun walked towards her at a fixed pace, holding a tray with Dahyun's buttered croissant, vanilla sponge cake, and her green tea infused with black coffee. She set it on a table close to Dahyun and was suddenly taken aback by the people rushing towards the café, hearing Dahyun play the beautifully heartbreaking song.

Although it hurts
I'll be the first to say that I was wrong
Oh, I know I'm probably much too late
To try and apologize for my mistakes
But I just want you to know

"I have to finish the song.", she thought. People were watching, she was crying, her voice was shaking, at the brink of breaking inside, but still sang her heart out. 

I hope he buys you flowers

She needed to accept it.

I hope he holds your hand

Sana's moved on and found someone better than her.

Give you all his hours

Someone who took the time to get to know her,

When he has the chance

Someone who was ready to sacrifice not only a day, but a thousand work days just to be with her,

Take you to every party
'Cause I remember how much you loved to dance

Someone who pushed their luck to try and not step on Sana's toes when they were dancing,

Do all the things I should have done
When I was your man
Do all the things I should have done
When I was your man

Someone that's done everything they could in their power for Sana to feel loved, cared for, deserving, and thought for; every single thing she should have done when Sana was hers. 

Little did Dahyun know, the Japanese went there not long before she did, to get her usual—her frappe that the younger already knows as well as the back of her hand; it's become the pale-skinned girl's responsibility to get it for her before she rushes to work, though didn't feel obliged to do so. She finished her song and couldn't find the strength to get up the piano chair; her knees gave up on her, her body gave in, she finally broke down to tears. Her heart longed for Sana, and the same girl was watching through the window slightly covered with the falling white snow the entire time, covered by the small crowd.

"You're right, she does play remarkably.", Sana could only smile and nod, "We have a train to catch, let's go?", as her new lover wrapped their arms around her waist, she caught a glimpse of Dahyun, and by luck or coincidence, the younger found her eyes. Staring at each other for a split second, and Sana smiling towards her direction, she finally turned back and rushed to the streets, walking hand in hand with her significant other.

Author's Note:

I sincerely apologize for hurting your SaiDa heart!!! I'll make it up to all of you soon, don't worry. Thank you so much for reading, voting, and staying tuned for more updates from me. Always take care, and stay safe!

HAPPY CHAEYOUNG DAY!

Best regards,

- Z

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
356K 1.2K 47
🔞🔞🔞 warning sex!! you can cancel if you don't like it.This is only for the guys who have sensitive desire in sex.🔞🔞
43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...