SINK OR SWIM, jj maybank

By jjmaybabe

in which a bad boy with a heart of gold finds himself a kook princess obx s1 jj maybank x oc More

c h a p t e r o n e
c h a p t e r t w o
c h a p t e r t h r e e
c h a p t e r f o u r
c h a p t e r f i v e
c h a p t e r s i x
c h a p t e r e i g h t

c h a p t e r s e v e n

2.3K 45 17
By jjmaybabe

The teens didn't want to wait around the chateau any longer, and with John B finding the name Redfield, he knew it had to be the Redfield Lighthouse.

They were all shaken up over what had happened, so the twinkie was mostly filled with silence as John B drove down the road towards their next clue.

Kie was sat in the front seat next to John B while Pope, JJ, and Teddie all piled into the back. Teddie's eye were set out the window, watching the landscape pass by as John B sped along. Her mind was going a million miles a minute and she couldn't focus on one thought for too long. She hated the way she felt in Lana Grubbs house, and she kept wondering if the older woman was okay. She hated the thought of her having to clean up the house on her own, after what the two had just gone through. And as much as she didn't want to have to go back to that house, she didn't want Lana to have to face that alone. With that thought in her head, she decided she'd stop by when the teens were done and help the woman clean up.

She kept trying to shake the feeling of the man's hands on her skin, but it was as if it was branded on her. All she wanted to do was take a hot shower and scrub her skin until it was raw. Maybe then she'd finally feel safe again.

"Teddie!" JJ's voice snapped loudly, breaking the girl from her thoughts.

"Huh? What?" She asked, moving her head to see all of her friends staring at her and JJ holding his hand out to offer her a hit of his joint. "Oh uh, no thanks."

"You good? You spaced out there on us." Kie asked her friend in concern.

"I'm fine." Teddie said with a small smile. The teens saw her lie from a mile away, but didn't push the matter any further.

John B sighed as he slowed the bus to a stop. "Here we are, Redfield Lighthouse."

"Woo!" JJ exclaimed, clapping his hands together before throwing the van door open and jumping out. Kie was rolling her eyes as she stepped out of the drivers seat while John B walked around to meet the group.

"Yeah, uh JJ maybe you sit this one out." John B suggested.

"What? Why?" JJ asked defeatedly. Teddie couldn't help but grin at his wounded puppy dog face.

"JJ, here's the thing." Pope started, throwing his arm over JJ's shoulder. "There are dependent and independent variables. You, my friend, are a dependent variable."

"What does that even mean?" JJ muttered, dropping his head as Kie laughed.

"So uh, how about Kie and I go and you three wait here and man look out?" John B suggested.

"I'm down with that." Kie nodded, moving to stand beside John B.

"Of course you are." Pope mumbled under his breath, but Teddie caught it with a quirked eyebrow.

"If anything happens, dip and we'll meet back up at the Chateau."

"Yeah, okay." Pope nodded.

As their two friends walked away, Teddie moved back into the twinkie, letting her thoughts take over. Pope was playing with a hackie-sac and talking to JJ, while the later boy stared at Teddie in worry. He wanted so badly to ask if she was okay, but he already knew the answer. He knew she'd say yes, but he also knew that'd be a lie. He made a note to get her alone later and ask, maybe then she'd open up a bit.

"Are you even listening to me?" Pope asked annoyed.

"Yes, dude," JJ sighed. "As per usual you're bitching about your merry scholarship-"

"Merit." Pope interrupted.

"which is so stupid because we all know you're literally going to have the best damn essay and get the scholarship no problem. Why are you so worried?"

Pope smiled slightly at JJ's words. "I'm worried because- cops." Pope said, standing up and dropping the hackie-sac.

"You are not going to become a cop just because you don't get a scholarship- but if you do I better get special treatment, yeah?" JJ asked, earning a small grin from Teddie who had started listening to the boys conversation.

"No, JJ, cops." Pope emphasized, pointing towards the flashing red and blue lights that could be seen heading towards them through the trees.

"Shit." Teddie mumbled, moving to look towards the lighthouse.

"We gotta dip." JJ said, jumping into the drivers seat.

"Just give them a minute!" Teddie exclaimed, looking back out the door.

"They'll be fine, we gotta go." Pope said, agreeing with JJ as he gently pushed the girl all the way into the Twinkie before slamming the door shut as JJ peeled off down the dirt road.

No one said anything as JJ pulled the bus into the gravel next to the chateau. There was no sign of Kie or John B, which made sense since they were on foot. Teddie wanted to drive around and look, but JJ shot that one down pretty quick. So instead, the three teens sat around the chateau and waited.

Pope was studying inside while Teddie and JJ sat on the pier. "So. You uh, you okay?" JJ asked awkwardly. He was never good with this sort of stuff. He was the guy who reacted, not comforted. He saved that for Pope.

Teddie hummed in response, not looking away from the water in front of her. She sometimes wondered what it'd be like to be in the ocean. Not how her and her friends were, but really be in it. Be apart of it. "I'm fine."

JJ saw right through that. "Are you lying to me, Teddie Thornton?" The blond boy smirked.

The corner of Teddie's mouth lifted just slightly, but it was enough that JJ saw. "Never."

"Cause you know, you can always talk to me. Or Kie. You can talk to Kie." JJ suggested, trying to sound nonchalant.

Teddie smiled again, slightly bigger this time. JJ would probably never know how much his words meant to the girl; but just the fact that he didn't even care who she talked to, just as long as she talked to someone, meant the world to her. "Thanks, JJ." Teddie said softly, making JJ grin and look down at the girl next to him.

"Anything for my Princess." He teased, but his words held truth.

Teddie smirked, shoving the boys shoulder. "You're such a sap, Maybank."

"You love it." JJ smirked, bumping his shoulder against hers.

Yes. "You wish." Teddie was quiet for a moment as her thoughts ran wild. "Listen, there's uh, there's something I need to do. I'll be back in a couple hours."

JJ quirked an eyebrow as he immediately turned to follow Teddie who had started walking towards her Jeep. "Want me to come with?"

Teddie shook her head with a small smile. "Nah, it's okay. I need to do this. Thank you, J." She said, standing up on her tiptoes and pressing her lips against JJ's cheek.

It didn't take long for Teddie to reach her destination. She swallowed thickly as she put her Jeep in park and shoved open the door. From the outside of the brightly colored house, you couldn't even tell what had occurred inside hours before. But Teddie knew. She breathed out softly as she lifted her hand to knock on the side of the house, seeing as the door was still off the hinges from being kicked in. "Miss Lana?" She called out softly.

Within seconds the soft patter of Lana's feet hit Teddie's ears and the woman came into view. It was silent between the two for a moment as they took each other in. Teddie made the first move of stepping over the threshold as tears filled Lana's eyes. "I'm so sorry, Teddie." Lana managed to get out, a small sob escaping her lips.

Teddie shook her head. "It takes a lot more than that to get to me, Miss Lana." She joked, trying to lighten the dark mood that sat over a once happy home. "I didn't like the thought of you being here all alone, I thought I'd see if you needed some help cleaning."

"I'd love that." Lana smiled, squeezing Teddie's hand in her own.

For the next few hours the two cleaned along side each other in silence. It wasn't awkward by any means, in fact both women found comfort in it. There were things they couldn't quite do, like get the bathroom door back on it's broken hinges, but they did their best and by the time the sun was beginning to set they were plopping down into her sofa and admiring their work. "You didn't have to help, but I really appreciate it Teddie." Lana said softly, placing her hand on top of Teddie's gently.

"I couldn't let you do this alone, not after what we went through together." Teddie said, not looking at Lana as she kept her eyes forward. "I never got the chance to say it, but I really am sorry about Scooter. I know that hearing sorry doesn't help and it doesn't bring him back, and I know I'm just some kid, but I'm here if you ever need to talk."

Lana sniffed as tears filled her eyes. "You aren't just some kid, Teddie. Not even by a long shot. Thank you, sweetie." Lana brushed away her tears before clearing her throat. "You should get out of here, go be with your friends. John B needs you."

"Okay, Miss Lana." Teddie nodded, as the two stood up. "Would it be alright with you if I came to visit from time to time?" Teddie asked hopefully.

Lana smiled, taking her gently into her arms like she was a small child again. "I would love nothing more, baby."

«•••••»

"Remind me again what we're doing here?" Teddie asked as the twinkie slowed to a stop in front of the gates to the cemetery.

Right as Teddie was pulling back up to the chateau, the Twinkie was pulling away. Luckily she caught them just in time and John B slammed on the breaks while JJ impatiently yelled for her to get in so they could go get Kie.

"I had it wrong. My dad was trying to tell me something with Redfield, but it wasn't a place. It was a person." John B explained. Teddie shot JJ a look as the teens walked through the dark, empty cemetery until they reached a crypt with the name Redfield engraved on it. "She was my great grandmother." John B continued, looking at the crypt almost in awe.

The teens were silent for a moment, when Teddie felt something on her feet. "What's that?" She mumbled, looking down to see a snake.

Her scream filled the air as she jumped back. John B and Pope immediately began shushing her as JJ's arms wrapped around her waist. Before her screams fully died down the sound of JJ barking filled the cemetery as John B and Pope began shushing him too.

"Are you joking?" John B snapped as Kie hit JJ on the side of the head.

"Dude, shut up."

"What?" JJ asked defensively. "Everyone knows snakes are afraid of dogs."

"My hero." Teddie joked with a grin as she looked up at JJ, who still had his arm wrapped around her protectively.

JJ smiled down at the girl in his arms. "Anything for you, princess."

"Are you guys done?" John B snapped. It had been a long day for all of the teens, but chasing after his father had started to take a toll on their leader emotionally. "JJ, help us move this."

John B, JJ, and Pope all began to pull on the door with everything they had, but it wasn't budging. "JB, it's not gonna open." Teddie said softly.

"Dammit." John B grumbled, his head falling against the crypt in defeat.

"I can fit through." Kie suddenly said. Teddie's eyes widened as she stared at her best friend in shock. "I'm serious, I can fit through." Kie insisted.

"No, you're not going in there." Pope argued, shaking his head.

"He's right, Kie. We have no clue what's in there."  John B said, agreeing with Pope.

Kie sighed, taking a step towards John B. "Look, John B, you deserve to know the truth, okay? I don't know if this real or if you're just crazy, but I know that you deserve answers. Let me do this."

The other Pogues were silent as they watched Kie and John B. Finally, John B nodded. "Let's give her a boost."

JJ and Pope were quick to assist in helping the girl in while Teddie stood off to the side with a flashlight, ready to hand it off as soon as Kie was on the ground.

JJ took his place back next to Teddie after the girl handed Kie her flashlight and John B held the lantern in, giving their friend as much light as possible.

"You were gone for a while earlier." JJ said quietly, glancing down at Teddie.

Teddie nodded, keeping her eyes focused on the crypt her best friend was in. "Yeah, I uh, I was helping Miss Lana."

JJ's head snapped towards Teddie's in surprise. "You went back there?"

Teddie nodded. "I couldn't let her face that place alone, J."

JJ stared down at the girl next to him in wonder. "You're kind of incredible, you know that?"

Teddie looked at JJ in surprise, not expecting that sort of response. Her eyes locked on his blue ones and it was as if she could physically feel the change in the air. After a few seconds Teddie scoffed and shook her head. "Whatever, Maybank."

JJ grinned, but didn't say anything. For once he wasn't trying to make a joke or say something stupid. He was trying to get Teddie to see herself how he saw her. As simply the greatest girl he knew.

Teddie and JJ both shuffled forward as Kie came out of the crypt after handing an envelope to John B. Teddie had to admit, she was sure this would be another dead end. But the FedEx envelope proved her to be wrong. While the boys all stood over it in awe, Teddie was quick to help Kie dust off all the cobwebs that had attached to the girl. "So gross." Kie complained. "I need a shower."

Teddie nodded in agreement. "I hear ya."

Suddenly light illuminated the area the teens were in as they all ducked down. "I think it's the square groupers." Pope said, his eyes widened in fear.

Teddie's chest immediately tightened as her hands began to shake. This can't be happening. She thought to herself. Not again.

JJ noticed the change in Teddie's behavior instantly and didn't hesitate to take her shaking hand into his own. "Hey." He whispered softly, his free hand coming up to cup her face. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, okay?"

Teddie swallowed thickly and nodded, her scared eyes searching JJ's soft ones. She believed him. Without a doubt in her mind, she believed him. Because whenever she was with JJ, her hand in his, she felt safer than she's ever felt before.

"Fuck this, I say we run." Kie said, not giving the group anytime to react before she jumped up and took off. John B was hot on her heels and JJ only wasted a second to give Teddie a nod before he was pulling the girl to her feet and racing after their friends too. Pope, on the other hand, got a bit of a late start.

"Guys!" He shouted as he tried to keep up.

"Hey!" A man's gruff voice yelled out, but it wasn't a gruff voice that Teddie recognized. It wasn't the square groupers.

With a quick look over her shoulder she breathed out a small laugh. "It's security!" She shouted, the rest of her friends immediately looking over their shoulders too.

Lucky for the pogues, running from security was something they were all very good at. "Woo!" JJ screamed, picking up his pace as Kie laughed.

The teens all made it to the gate of the cemetery where they hopped over, John B helping Kie and JJ helping Teddie. Unfortunately for Pope, no one helped him. "Guys! Guys, I'm stuck!" Pope shouted.

"Let's go!" John B yelled as he ran to the drivers side of the Twinkie.

"Pope, come on!" Kie urged.

"My shorts are stuck!" Pope exclaimed again.

"Leave them, Pope!" Teddie exclaimed.

With a final tug, Pope was falling to the ground. The same couldn't be said about his pants, though. "Oh my god." Teddie laughed, her hand smacking over her mouth to keep her laughs at bay.

"Pope!" Kie screeched, covering her face as she giggled with Teddie.

"Is that a lil tootsie roll?" JJ asked, earning a smack upside the head as the teens piled into the van.

The van was practically shaking as the teens laughter filled the small space while John B drove down the empty rode. "I hate you guys." Pope grumbled, his arms crossed over his chest as his lip jutted out into a pout.

The teens were still laughing as they all stumbled into the chateau, eager to see what John B's dad had left for him. JJ immediately declared he was hungry and started to make a sandwich, with moldy bread.

"You know, that bread had mold on it like three days ago." Pope pointed out.

"I'll just pick around it." JJ shrugged.

"JJ, stop!" Teddie exclaimed, smacking his hand like he were a child getting caught stealing a cookie.

"What? It's good for you!" JJ exclaimed.

"Mold is good for you?" Kie questioned incredulously, her eye brow raised at the blonde.

"Yes! It's like a natural orgasm." JJ explained, earning confused looks from everyone; except John B who was too focused on the contents of the package.

"You mean organism?"

"Isn't that what I said?" JJ questioned, taking a bite. Only seconds passed before he was gagging and spitting it back onto his plate. "Yeah that was nasty." Teddie was quick to hand him a glass of water, which he graciously accepted while John B pulled out the contents of the envelope.

"Is that a tape recorder?" Kie questioned, earning a nod from John B.

It was silent as John B pressed play, and only a few short moments later the voice of Big John filled the chateau. "Hey, Bird."

Teddie listened, with tears prickling her eyes, as Big John left a final message for his son. He apologized, for the kind of father he was. And he told him how proud he was. Teddie knew what it was like, to lose a parent. And while they'd never found Big John's body, deep down she (and everyone else) knew that the man was dead. Sometimes she wished she had some sort of note or message from her dad before he died. But one thing she knew, if her dad had left a message, it wouldn't have been anything like this. Because Big John just confirmed that he did it. He found the Royal Merchant.

JJ's hand found Teddie's as the recording stopped and John B stood up. Kie was quick to follow him, holding him in her arms as sobs wracked through his body.

"Come on, Princess." JJ whispered, pulling the girl out towards the dock where Pope had already gone.

It was silent as JJ started a small fire and the three friends sat around it. Not long passed before Kie was joining them, taking a seat next to Teddie as she began softly strumming her uke, then John B a few minutes later.

"How much was it again?" JJ asked, being the one to break the silence that had fallen over the group.

"Four hundred mil." Pope replied.

JJ whistled. "Okay, let's talk split. And before we say evenly, need I remind you that I'm the one who defended us from those square groupers who were after us?"

"Bro, you killed my rooster." John B quipped, earning a scoff from Teddie and Kie.

JJ ignored him as he waved his gun in the air. "Protection? Not cheap, okay?"

"What protection? You're not a professional. You haven't even trained. Zero training." Pope reprimanded.

"YouTube, bro! That's at least a five percent bump right there."

"But you didn't-" Pope tried objecting again, before being cut off.

"Any objections? Didn't think so."

"What are you gonna do with your eighty mil, Pope?" Kie asked, changing the subject and ignoring JJ's protests at the amount.

Pope debated for a second, his lips pursed as he thought. "Pay for college in advance. Get my tuition out of the way. And textbooks. Yeah. Textbooks are expensive."

Teddie grinned as JJ flipped the question to Kie.

"Yeah, what does a socialist do when she's rich?" Pope teased.

Kie shrugged with a small laugh. "I just wanna make music. A double album; about the OBX, the Pogues. Ya know, how Catch a Fire is about Kingston. I'll record it at Marley Studio, Peter Tosh producing."

Teddie smiled at her friends dream while Pope laughed. "Peter Tosh is dead."

Kie rolled her eyes. "Yes, I know Peter Tosh is dead, Pope. Spirit of Peter Tosh? Now that will never die." The friends laughed and nodded. "What about you, Teddie?"

Teddie shrugged, looking out at the ocean as she thought. "I think I'd give it back to the cut. Help Miss Lana, and whoever else needs it. Rebuild homes. And anything else I had I'd use for the biggest shopping spree." Teddie joked.

"Yes!" Kie cheered with a giggle.

JJ smiled as he watched Teddie throw her head back and laugh. "Actually, I know what I'm gonna do." He announced

"Oh yeah? What's that?" Teddie questioned, the smile still on her face.

"While you're fixing up the cut, Princess, I'm gonna go get a big ass house and the Figure Eight and go full kook."

Everyone smiled. "You're gonna go full kook?" Pope asked playfully.

"Yep." JJ confirmed. "I'm gonna get a marble statue of myself and a koi pond, fill it with a bunch of those little fish."

"I'm not visiting." Kie joked, shaking her head. Everyone laughed before Teddie turned to John B.

"What are you gonna do with your cut, JB?"

John B thought for a minute before a grin spread across his face and he raised his can of beer above his head. "To going full Kook."

JJ hollered and they all laughed and cheered, lifting their own drinks. "To going full Kook!"

«•••••»

y'all i'm so sorry 😭
no excuse for how long it's been,
just know i didn't mean for that to happen

a lot happened in my personal life and
it was just so hard to find inspiration
and motivation, ya know?

but i'm getting back to myself and
i'm feeling great and i'm back
for good.

so i hope y'all enjoyed and i hope
you'll take the time to check out my new
multi fandom imagines book i put out
there's some obx in there along
with other fandoms, so if you
could check that out it'd mean
the absolute world to me 🥺

thanks, y'all!
hope ya enjoy 💞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 2.3K 31
"You ain't leaving until you suck my cock Y/n." he said with deep voice holding her hair tightly... ~๐’”๐’†๐’™ ๐’”๐’„๐’†๐’๐’†๐’” ~๐’”๐’Ž๐’–๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’“๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ~๐’†...
184K 7.9K 23
Where Lewis Hamilton goes to a cafe after a hard year and is intrigued when the owner doesn't recognise him. "Who's Hamilton?" Luca says from the ba...
1.7M 55.7K 70
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...