Other Worlds - The Wilds

By Emilyrose24601

Toni Shalifoe had been shuffled from foster home to foster home until finally landing at her current placemen... More

Quick Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Little Note
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 23

3K 80 36
By Emilyrose24601

AN: Thanks for reading guys!

Same usual trigger warnings, Abuse in this chapter.

--------

  Toni woke up at 6:00, then 6:30 then 7:00 which is when she just decided to give in and get up. She didn't know if she was nervous or excited but every time she thought about meeting Shelby today her heart jumped a bit in her chest. She sat up with a yawn and looked for her phone which she found at the foot of the bed. She opened a message from Shelby that was sent last night.

Shelby: Can't wait :)

  The message was followed by a google maps location which Toni recognised to be one of her favourite cafe's. Toni decided to get ready early and leave the house before Carol had the chance to get up and tell her that she couldn't go.

  Grabbing her towel, she made her way to the shower. There had been a few times in the past where Toni had showered in the morning and the noise woke Carol which is why Toni usually showered at night; but she didn't want to meet Shelby smelling like sweat and cigarettes. She tiptoed down the hall, wincing every time a floorboard creaked or when she had to peel her foot away from a puddle of half-dry liquor.

  She locked herself in the bathroom and stood, heart racing, looking at the shower knob, contemplating just turning around and using deodorant and dry shampoo. Before she could talk herself out of it she reached out rapidly and turned the handle, cringing as the pipes chugged and water flowed into the tub. She took a deep breath, it was done now, she would face whatever possible consequences came once she was clean.

  Toni took a long shower, relaxing under the hot water. The bruises and cuts from the past month had all faded, her body now only marred by the scars of the past. She hated seeing all her scars. They looked innocent, like they were from kindergarten injuries or drunken mishaps, but Toni could recite the story for every one of them and hardy any of them brought a reminiscing a smile to her face. Her shower felt a little less luxurious after that reminder so she quickly finished up and got dressed, happy to be covered again.

  Slowly opening the bathroom door she stuck her head out a peeked from side to side. The house was dead quiet. With a sigh of relief she stepped out and padded to kitchen area.

  The house was an absolute state.

  It was somehow worse than usual. There was broken glass all over the floor, a few puddles of what looked like sick dotted around the lounge, and there was not one surface in the kitchen or lounge that wasn't covered in dishes, magazines and other crap.

  Toni had to breathe through her mouth to avoid the smell. As she was taking in the mess something caught her attention. Something she had never seen in the house before. There were a bunch of photographs strewn across the floor. Not the usual photos of Carol in her younger, more beautiful years like the ones that were framed around the house, but old photos of children. Black and white images of people she had never seen before.

  She bent down to get a better look and picked one up that showed what looked like the typical nuclear family. The man, Toni presumed he was the dad, had a young girl sitting on his shoulders; a younger boy had his arms wrapped around his mother's legs who was holding her husband's hand. They were all laughing, none of them looking at the camera, just each other. It was beautiful. The steel cord of jealousy began to wrap its way around Toni's heart but she forced herself to let it go. If this was Carol's family then she knew there was more to the story that just this photo.

  "Don't touch my fucking stuff."

  Toni flinched harshly, nearly dropping the photo as Carol's voice boomed through the house. Before she could put the photo back where she found it Carol was storming over, her face contorted in rage.

  Toni couldn't react at all, she just stood there with her mouth hanging open slightly as Carol approached, completely motionless even when Carol seized her by the wrist.

  "Drop it," Carol growled, her voice gravelly and cold.

  She definitely preferred blubbering wasted Carol to violent hungover Carol.

  The grip on her wrist tightened like a vice and her hand started to go numb. She finally snapped out of her trance and dropped the photo; unfortunately, it landed directly in a huge puddle of whisky.

  Seconds ticked by in slow motion, neither of them saying anything, just watching the picture soak up the liquor.

  Shit.

  With the arm Carol was still holding on to, she pulled Toni towards her, her face just inches away from Carol's, inhaling her sour breath. "Fuck you." Carol hissed in her ear, before shoving her. Toni's back clipped the corner of the coffee table on the way down, causing her to gasp in pain. She closed her eyes, willing the pain to ease so she could get up and protect herself. But she she finally opened her eyes, Carol was standing in the hallway, watching her.

  "Leave," she grunted before slamming her bedroom door behind her.

  Toni stayed on the floor for a few moments, processing what had just happened. She got up slowly, letting herself assess the soreness in her back. Manageable, was the conclusion she came to. She could cope with this. Her wrist on the other hand, throbbed. Bruises were already beginning to blossom on her skin. She had a feeling it was going to be very obvious how she obtained the bruises, with a red pattern already forming in the shape of a hand. Good thing it was winter.

  She debated going back to her room to get her backpack with all her books but decided against it in the end. She didn't want to risk an actual beating. She was lucky Carol left it where she did.

--------

  Toni wandered around town for about an hour. Most of the shops were still closed. She had about three hours to kill before her study date with Shelby. She was still shaken and aching from her encounter with Carol this morning. It took a little while for her body to stop involuntarily quaking and the anxious fog in her mind to clear up.

  She walked to the lake where she usually skipped stones but it was frozen over, so she just sat there for a while. Then she climbed a tree, nearly plummeting to her death due to her bulky winter clothes. After that, she was out of ideas so she made her way to the cafe, ordered a coffee and sat by herself, people watching out of the window. She started to read one of the books they kept for customers for a while but eventually got bored.

  The book slammed dully as she closed it in frustration. She tipped her head to the ceiling a took a deep breath feeling restless. She still had over two hours left until Shelby came.

  She only had one friend that would be up at this time on a weekend. Well, only one that would be up and available. She scrolled through her phone list until she found Martha's name.

  As usual she answered after three rings, "Toni! What's up?"

  "Martha I'm dying of boredom please entertain me."

  "You're so dramatic... Where are you why don't you just watch tv, or play basketball, or..." Toni zoned out slightly as Martha continued to rattle off a list of possible cures to her boredom that she couldn't do.

  "Marty, stop," Toni laughed, "I'm in town Carol wanted some time to herself."

  "She is a bit weird don't you think? I don't know, maybe there is a better placement for you."

  "I like her," Toni tried to make that lie sound a natural as possible, "We have a rhythm, an understanding."

  "Okay... If you're sure."

  "I am," Toni chimed in, maybe a bit too quickly. "Please just come entertain me. I'm at the cafe. My treat?"

  "Of course I'll come. I've missed you!"

  After that she hung up to let Martha go and get ready. Thank God, Toni was seriously getting sick of her own company and thoughts.

  Martha arrived half an hour and two coffees later. Toni stood up the second she saw her come through the door. "Finally!" She beamed rushing over to hug her.

  "Aw Toni," Martha melted into the hug, trying to absorb as much of the unexpected display of affection as possible. From the situation with Shelby to impulsively cuddling Martha in the middle of a cafe Toni realised something; she was getting soft. At first she felt a sense of peace with the idea, but then remembered that now was not the time to be shedding her armour.

  Toni pulled away. "Sit." She cleared her throat.

  As Martha sat down, Toni went to order her friend's usual drink; some sugary concoction that probably tasted exactly like Martha's personality in liquid form.

  Placing the drink down in front of Martha she asked, "So, what have you been up to? We've barely seen each other in ages."

  Martha looked like she wanted to was why that was, but didn't. She took a sip of her drink. "You make me come here because you're bored and the first thing you ask is what I've been doing? Seems a bit counter productive."

  Toni laughed, "Oh come on! Something must have happened over the last few weeks."

  "Well-"

  Martha was interrupted by a commotion at the door of the cafe. Toni peered over her shoulder to see, Fatin, Dot and Leah attempting to push through the door at the same time.

  "Bitch, I'm trying-"

  "What are you doing?"

  "Leah, Fatin, just go through one at a time."

  "I invited them... It seemed like a good idea," Martha explained sheepishly as Toni dropped her head into her hands letting out a small embarrassed chuckle at her friends antics. Everyone in the shop was looking at them as they made their way to Martha and Toni's table.

  "Would you guys shut up," Toni laughed, "You are drawing so much attention." Her cheeks felt hot.

  "Oh my God, she's blushing!" Fatin teased, poking one of Toni's cheeks, "You too cool for us now Shalifoe?

  "Only when you look like you're acting out a sketch from the Three Stooges."

  The group laughed and Fatin, Dot and Leah took their seats.

  "So... Has Martha told you yet?" Leah asked Toni her tone somewhat suggestive. She was a bit shocked that Leah was the one to ask that sort of question. It was usually Fatin that opened the conversation to gossip or secrets. Maybe they were spending more time together.

  "Told me what? Martha?" Toni wiggled her eyebrows drawing an embarrassed giggle from Martha.

  Before Martha could open her mouth Fatin chimed in, unsurprisingly. "Some mysterious 'Marcus' has been hanging around her house."

  "Marty!" Toni's mouth dropped in shock. Why hadn't she told her? She fought back the jealousy, more interested in hearing the rest of the story than starting a fight.

  Martha looked mortified. "Wait! It is not like that. He is just a friend. He probably wouldn't... He wouldn't like me like that anyway."

  "Martha." Fatin grabbed her by the shoulders are stared her right in the eye. "You are a hot piece with an equally hot personality. The boy would have to be either dense or gay to turn you down."

  Martha smiled shyly. "Really?"

  "Yes!" Fatin let go of her a looked at the rest of the group with a questioning look.

  They all agreed passionately. Because it was true. And because Martha needed to have more confidence in who she was. Fatin was right, you would have to be stupid to miss everything Martha had to offer.

  The chatted, joked around and teased each other for the rest of the morning. Toni had almost forgotten the events of earlier and the previous night with Carol.

  The bell dinged, indicating that someone had come into the cafe. She turned her head on instinct only to see Shelby, standing in the doorway, her eyes searching the cafe until they met Toni's. She glanced at the table, taking in the number of people sitting with Toni and suddenly turned on her heel as though she was going to leave.

  Fuck. Toni leapt out of her seat without another word to her friends and did a little jog to catch up to Shelby who was on her way out. She grabbed her arm gently. "Hey, wait. Where are you going?"

  "All your friends are there, they'll be... I don't know- suspicious if I sit with you." Shelby bit her lip, her eyes wide and darting to every person that passed them on the street. She shrugged out of Toni's grip.

  "Shelby." Toni was was disappointed at the loss of contact... And at the reminder that Shelby and Toni could probably never be normal. Whether they were friends, more than friends or less, things would never just be comfortable or easy. "We are just studying. That's all this is. No one is going to think anything okay? Just please come back in, my friends will leave; we were just hanging out until you got here."

  "Okay." Toni was relieved that Shelby agreed, they really needed to work on the assignment. That small taste of basketball that she had got yesterday with Shelby reminded her why she needed to ace this project. And she couldn't do that without Shelby.

  "Good. After you M'Lady," Toni joked, gesturing grandly and holding the door open for Shelby. Electricity ran through her body as Shelby walked through the door, their shoulders brushing against each other, the contact lasting just a millisecond too long.

  And Toni might have been imagining it, call it wishful thinking or whatever, but she was certain that Shelby brushed past her on purpose.

  "Shelby wait." The other girl stopped, their bodies mere centimetres apart in the narrow doorway. Toni closed the gap, their faces just a hair apart. "Maybe take my coat off before you go in," she murmured.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 6.2K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
687K 42.2K 106
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1.7K 71 27
Hi my name is Yara, I write stories on wattpad and I'm also from one of the Madlyn oneshots books. I thought why not write a full on christmas themed...
5.3K 114 16
Lex and Presley have been friends since they were 5 but their feelings towards eachother start to change once they start a new school