The Uninvited Princess ✔

By JJJ000YYY

A naive young princess gets banished to a tower and is inadvertently trapped with a wizard. Now, she must nav... More

Intro
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Afterword

Chapter 28

49 21 41
By JJJ000YYY

Translation/pronunciation note

Songkran (saang-kran) is Thai New Year. There are a lot of different ways to celebrate the holiday but the most prominent are dressing in traditional Thai clothing, performing your duties at the temple as a lay person, and a giant water fight to make a clean start for the new year.

Chapter 28

Pranee was back in the cell with her extravagant attire. She wasn't sure if the king did that on purpose or not but the weight of the garments felt even heavier after that conversation.

Shashi had a double-take when they saw her appearance and was visibly confused. Pranee didn't say anything as she didn't want to cause a scene again in front of them.

"Is it Songkran or am I missing something? Why are you dressed like that?" Shashi spat out the questions in rapid-fire succession.

Pranee puckered her lips before giving a small head shake. "I don't know exactly why. I think... the king is trying to bribe me."

"For what?"

"All the information about P'Tanet in exchange for my royal status."

"What happens if you don't cooperate?"

"I die."

Pranee could tell that their expression said everything that they were thinking. It contorted from shock then anger then to fear so quickly that Pranee didn't know what to say to calm them down.

"Are you going to do it?"

"P'Tanet is one of the last family members I have left. I can't lose him."

"That king is just so willing to kill you off without any good reason! Isn't he related to you? How heartless is this guy?!"

"Shhh. Quiet. I don't want your life to be at risk too." Her body slumped to the ground in defeat. "He is my brother too but... it's complicated."

"I feel like there's something you're not telling me."

"I... just need to process everything."

Shashi sighed. That was when a paper bird flew into the room and landed on Shashi's head. That was when she noticed the pile of paper near them and she looked at them in confusion.

"What...?"

"That buffalo sends me thirty letters and can't figure out that I can't respond?!" They shook the paper off their head in irritation.

Pranee watched the paper float to the ground with confusion. "Who?"

"Kiet. I was supposed to visit him today apparently so he's been sending non-stop letters."

"His majesty requests for the wizard's presence." The guard's voice boomed throughout the room.

Shashi looked at Pranee with concern and she waved her hand in dismissal. "I'll be fine. You can't keep him waiting."

Shashi nodded and the guard promptly opened the door. The two left the room and Pranee sighed. Her hands reached for makuta on her head and it jingled noisily as she attempted to take it off. After a few tries, she was able to take it off successfully until she heard a clunk.

It was a hollow wooden sound and Pranee looked at the ground to see if something unexpected. Then there was a lighter sound followed by the loud wooden sound again.

Pranee searched the ground in confusion until she saw a foot and a platform sandal, instantly recognizing who they belonged to.

"Wipa?"

"Hello, beautiful. Why is a little bird, like you, locked up in a cage, like this?" Wipa put a forearm across the bars and leaned forward with a grin.

Pranee slowly blinked. "How did you get in here?"

"Well, I decided to take a tour of the palace while the king attended other matters. I'm supposed to be compensated for the elephant and never to speak of it again. Now... why are you in here, princess?"

"The king wanted to negotiate on information I may or may not possess." Pranee's voice trailed off before realizing what Wipa had just said. "Wait. You knew?"

"Let's just say I have many connections," Wipa chuckled. "I'm surprised you managed to get caught is all."

"Well... I wasn't honestly."

Wipa clucked her tongue and glanced to the side. Her eyes looked at the paper and she casually walked over to the papers. She picked one up and began to read through it.

"Hmm."

"What does it say?"

"Nothing significant. Just lots of angry yelling from the looks of it." She pocketed the note into a fold of her robe and looked at Pranee. "I can help you get out of here. Just don't tell Shashi I was ever here. I know they'll refuse any help from me."

"Why?"

"I have... invested interest."

Before Pranee could question her further the door loudly creaked open. Her head whipped to the direction of the sound and she saw Shashi walking into the room. The guard guided Shashi with his hand on their shoulder.

Pranee quickly looked back to where Wipa was standing only to see that she wasn't there anymore. Pranee attempted to hide her surprise and turned her attention back to Shashi who was now back in their cell. The guard had left them by that point and Shashi was visibly irritated. They sat there for some time and Pranee couldn't tell what they were thinking.

"I don't like your brother," Shashi piped up suddenly.

"Shashi..." She slowly put down the makuta on the ground.

"I don't care. He's trying to kill you either way."

"What exactly did he say?" She watched their face intently, trying to find any indication of what had happened.

"He found out I can wield foreign magic and he doesn't have any wizards from my mother's homeland."

"He did?"

"Yes. He even offered me the tower as payment. He didn't seem to mind that I was just a novice as well."

Pranee sat quietly as she realized what Ritthirong was trying to do. He was trying to buy Shashi's loyalty.

"He even said I was allowed to marry you if I wanted as part of the payment."

She grimaced. "He mentioned that to me too..."

Shashi let out a loud sigh. "He really wants me to convince you to take his offer."

"Do you think I should?"

They didn't answer as their face was scrunched up and their eyes were stuck in a grimace.

"We'll figure out a way to get out here. I may not have my staff but I'll figure out something. Just... don't worry for now."

Pranee nodded and they both fell into an uncomfortable silence. That was when Shashi cleared their throat.

"Also, I don't care if I have the king's blessing or not now."

Pranee tilted her head slightly to the side. "Huh?"

"If we ever decide to marry, we'll be able to live happily. You've lived with me long enough. We could even run away to my mother's homeland if we needed to as well."

Pranee bit her bottom lip as she realized what they had said. She could feel her face was warm and they looked over before clearing their throat.

"You met my father already and people keep bringing up marriage like it's natural. Anyways, it's not guaranteed if we will. Like it's too early to say but..."

"Shashi?"

"Yes?"

"I understand what you're trying to say." She couldn't help but blush as she responded to them.

They pursed their lips and nodded. "Okay, good."

"Anyways, don't worry," Pranee said. "I have hope that we'll be able to get out of here."

"How?" They seemed skeptical at her comment.

Her eyes wandered to the exit as she thought over what Wipa had said earlier. "Just... trusting someone."

Shashi looked at her with a raised eyebrow but when she didn't say expand on her comment they sighed.

"Let's hope we'll be alright."

Pranee nodded in response. Hopefully, Wipa came before the deadline the king had given Pranee. If not, the rescue plan may never come to fruition.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

927 116 18
Book 1 of the Twin Souls Series Vagrant former spy JD had always felt a part of his soul was missing or that there was a vacant seat beside his core...
31.2K 2K 104
A cold-hearted, introverted girl. She always wore a hoodie, sat in a corner of the class, shut herself from others. She wasn't interested in gettin...
451 53 13
When Leila starts a small talk with a cute guy on a bus, she expects a basic conversation or ignorance. But their encounter turns out to be a key to...
830K 66.5K 128
A reclusive crown prince appoints a common thief as his bodyguard, plunging them both into deadly intrigue, court scandal, and most dangerous of all:...