Straight as They Come, Kinda

By slimmwrites

[Featured in FreetheLGBT: Diverse Literature reading list and Humor: Young. Dumb. Full of Fun list] Colin Mit... More

Intro: Straight As They Come, Kinda
1: Stay In Your Lane, It's Aisle 9
2: Too Flashy?
3: Cold Shoulders and Fists
4: Is He Still Alive?
5: Don't Take His Rambling Seriously
6: Making Cereal = Excellent Cuisine
7: Sibling Love, Anyone?
8: Pikachu
9: Homer Simpson, is that you?
10: The rent? He spent it
11: Red and Other Colored Kisses
12: Fuck off? Fuck off
13: Not-So-Secretive Lunch Dates
14: Taylor Swift Has Competition
15: Heat
16: Alcohol and Bad Decisions
17: Peter and the F word- A duology
18: Bed head Mornings
19: Caring For a Nuisance
20: Just Two Guys, Chilling in a Pool
21: Sparkling Climaxes Are a Thing?
22: Fall in Leaves, Fall in Trouble
23: Infinitely Beautiful
24: Heart Pangs
25: Worth the Wait
26: At a Pause
27: Waddle Along
28: Bear Dogs and FaceTime Calls
29: Expensively-dressed Nightmares
30: Sass Me, Will You?
31: Mark You as Mine
32: Desperate Warmth
33: Tearing Me Apart
34: Ghost Stains
35: I'll Come back
36: Unapologetic Indulgements
37: Sorta. Maybe. Kinda
38: Reversed
Special: Cast and Writer Interview
39: Where it Started
Bonus 1 | We're not in Kansas Anymore
Bonus 2 | Yachts or Kids?

40: Lifelong Promises

4.8K 346 832
By slimmwrites

Wedding bells were ringing, and Colin could only wonder why they were so goddamn loud. Or why they started again the very moment they stopped.

His phone. The sound was sharp as it cut through the air abruptly, jarring and blunt; it was nothing like the softness of Peter's hair in his face.

He remembered little about last night, only that Peter had woken up to say his back hurt from sleeping in the couch, and had then dragged both of them into Colin's bed.

They had slept facing each other, and the pads of his fingers had toured Peter's skin until his consciousness melted away. It was smooth and unbelievably soft; nothing like the thick, scratchy feeling he was getting now.

Colin sat up with a jolt, eyes widening with surprise when he realised nothing but the sheets and comforter were bundled in his hand. He let go, rubbing his face as he tried to focus his gaze on Peter---or rather, the space where he no longer laid.

The ringing made the brunet tear his eyes from the sheets to his phone, which rested atop the bedside drawer.

"Hello?" Colin said into the speaker, raking a hand through his tangled nest of hair.

"You were asleep?"

He cringed, sucking in a breath when he realised he might have slept through the alarm he set. The rising sun's rays filtered through the windows, so it was a likely event.

Clearing his throat, he feigned awareness. "What? No, no. I've---I've been awake the whole time."

It wasn't as convincing as he hoped, because Amy obviously didn't buy it. "Michael said you weren't there for his bachelor party, which I'm so mad at you for, you were supposed to tell me what happened! And I can't believe you were sleeping by this time when you know the groomsmen have to get dressed on schedule! The caterer is already running late and I don't need you making things worse."

He ignored her first sentence. "I'll get there. Give me an hour."

"An hour? The ceremony is at eight!"

"And it's five---" Colin lowered his phone and looked at the displayed time, "---fifty. The alarm I set hasn't even gone off yet."

"Do not ruin this for me, Colin. Don't you dare---"

Amy cut herself off when a voice in the background said the decorators had arrived. When she spoke again, her voice was a toke lighter, despite the threat still emanating from it. "I have to see to something right now, but you better get to the hotel immediately."

"Yes," he said, adding, "Bridezilla," under his breath.

Thankfully, she hadn't heard him, and was too occupied with asking about the order of service and transportation. He ended the call.

Placing his phone on the table, he swung his legs over the bed and glanced at the empty spot once more. Colin didn't want to think about Peter's disappearance, or the possibility that he had left again. No, he couldn't do that, not when the previous night had been near perfection.

Peter had said that he loved him. More than once. Over, and over and over until the words had been firmly planted in his mind.

They had kissed. They had reconciled. Things just couldn't fall to this point again, could it? Peter had even brought his bags to cement that he really was staying... for good this time.

With his head buzzing with dreary thoughts he wished wouldn't linger in his head any longer, Colin dragged himself to the bathroom and freshened up, resolving that Peter must have been somewhere in the apartment.

He wasn't.

He wasn't in the kitchen when Colin made himself a cup of coffee, wasn't on the balcony when Colin stepped there for some fresh air, wasn't in the living room when sat down to put on his dress shoes after putting on his trousers and a freshly ironed white shirt.

Even worse, his bags no longer sat there. And this, despite making Colin curious about whether Peter had already unpacked, also made him fear the possible emptiness he'd find in his boyfriend's room if Peter hadn't.

He decided to call Peter and find out if anything had come up, but the only answer he received was the sound of Peter's ringtone floating from his room.

Shit. He picked up the phone, not knowing whether to leave it behind or take it with him to the hotel. After some thought, he slipped the device into his pocket as he grabbed his suit jacket and headed out the door.

The venue for the wedding and reception were at a beach resort, which wasn't a long distance away from the hotel where the guys were getting ready.

When Colin arrived, they had done most of the work, and the best man was teaching the lot of them on how to put on a tie properly. Colin was put up to seating the guests when they arrived and handing out the order of service to them.

"You look more jittery and nervous than I am. Don't want me marrying Amy anymore?" Micheal joked, sitting next to Colin with a half-filled glass of white wine in his hand.

"It's not that," Colin said with a laugh. "I'm just wondering why relationships are so complicated, unpredictable. Like, why can't we just have a clichéd happily ever after? Why all the additional side quests?

"I honestly have no answer for you on that. But it's all worth it once you find someone to share the good and the bad times with. The good times feel better, and the burden of the bad is lighter."

°

With the wedding march melody playing, Colin watched his sister walk down the aisle, her hand gripping onto their father's arm as her gaze traced from him to her to-be husband.

After their father led her to the platform, he lifted the veil and she stood facing Micheal, her wide smile faltering, happiness morphing into tears as she quickly wiped her face with the back of her hand. She cried even more with Michael's whisper about how beautiful she looked and burst into abrupt laughter when he told her she'd have looked better in a toga. With the cool air, rolling waves that complimented the sun's morning glow, and serene atmosphere of the beach before patrons arrived and distorted that settled peace, everything felt like a dream.

Colin's eyes met hers when she glanced at the lined groomsmen, and he gave her a subtle thumbs-up which was received with a nod.

The vows were said, rings were exchanged, and the only thing Colin could make out through all the promises was how genuinely happy they both looked. Amy was virtually glowing, and Michael looked as if he wouldn't give that moment up for the world.

His fingers felt Peter's phone through his pocket, and he wished hard that they would share such a thing---even for a second.

After the expected kiss---which got so many cheers that it was almost unreasonable---the next thing on schedule before the reception were photographs.

Colin had volunteered to take up that role, saying it was a better choice than hiring another photographer, since he was a professional himself. He clicked shots of the newlyweds together, ones of them with their parents, and ones of Amy with the bridesmaids.

It got to where Colin had to join for the pictures, and even though he insisted he didn't mind being out of the photos, Amy wouldn't hear the end of it. He was saved the trouble of explaining when a hand gripped his shoulder and a voice offered to handle the job.

"I'll take that."

He recognised the hand which reached for his camera before he turned to face the person they belonged to.

Although Colin had so many questions, so many responses he needed to hear, he let go, only saying, "Your phone is with me," when he pulled it out.

"Oh yeah, I noticed I left it behind. I had to practice for the song I'll perform, and I didn't want to wake you." Peter took the phone.

"And here I was thinking you'd ditched me." Now, Colin could only laugh at how ridiculous he had been worrying over nothing.

"You think too much," Peter chastised, nudging him away. "Just go stand in front of the camera."

Colin joined the rest of his family and friends, smiling with them, and displaying his best chipped-tooth grin at the man who was capturing those moments of pure joy.

"These look great." He complimented once Peter handed him the camera.

"I know. I took them." The dark-haired guy gave a cheeky smile.

One bridesmaid tapped him on the shoulder, making him aware of his performance, which had been squeezed into the program that morning. Maybe that's why it never occurred to Colin that Peter's disappearance was related to the wedding; he was never in the earlier printed sheets.

"I'll be right back," Peter told him, going for his guitar case and climbing up the stage. It took a while for him to get the attention of the guests, since food had started being distributed. But once he started strumming on the guitar, a sort of calmness was laid like a blanket over everyone.

Colin recognized the song even before the first lyrics, and he knew Amy was going to freak out that Peter chose her favorite song to perform.

If Ed Sheeran hadn't named the song 'Thinking Out Loud,' he would have considered 'Screaming Out Loud' because that is exactly what his sister did when Peter started singing.

She clasped poor Michael's hand mid-conversation and ran with him to the front so they could dance. She was crying again---then again, who wouldn't cry hearing this song coupled with Peter's beautiful voice.

Even after he was done, the people requested an encore after a powerful ovation, so Peter sang 'Here Comes the Sun' by The Beatles and ended his performance.

Colin didn't know how to express his elation when Peter finally approached with his guitar case in hand. "Wow, that was---"

"Tiring," Peter finished.

"I figured, so I got you some food." Colin gestured to the cocktail, and then the waffle, cinnamon roll, and potato wedges he had taken from the brunch bar 

"Oh, thank goodness. I skipped breakfast today, and it's the worst decision I've ever made in my life." Peter heaved out a sign, plopping down on the chair Colin pulled out for him, before he dug into the variety of choices. He bit into the waffle, ate half the cinnamon roll, went back to the waffle, and downed the drink before focusing on the potato wedges.

Colin should have been surprised with how quickly Peter was gobbling down food---what was shocking, however, was how he had a feeling Peter would manage to eat another plate like that.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Colin responded, crossing his arms with a small smile gracing his features. "And I'm looking at you because you look impossibly handsome in that shirt," he admitted.

"I better be." Peter rolled his eyes, forking another bite into his mouth. "It cost so much."

"Mmm," the brunet hummed, tilting his head to the side. After a while, he removed a tissue tucked into the glasses, and leaned forward to wipe off the food particles that stuck to Peter's lips.

Peter scrunched up his nose, about to poke his tongue out, when his eyes darted to something behind the brunet. "Um, Colin? There's a man staring at us." He stopped Colin from looking back before he could. "No, don't turn."

"What does he look like?"

Peter scrutinized the figure between bites. "Like you. Also, a bit like Amy. But older, with a trimmed beard. Salt and pepper hair."

"Slicked back?"

Peter lifted his eyes for a second, immediately positioning his gaze back on his plate. "Yes."

"That's my dad," Colin laughed. "You want to meet him?"

"Not if he's gonna give us that death stare." From his expression, he could tell Peter was genuinely bothered.

"He's all watch and no action, don't worry."

"He doesn't know you're gay, right?"

"Not for long," Colin said, standing. "Eat up, I have to go sit up there with the rest of the bridal party."

As he walked away, the brunet had already decided on how best to approach the situation before his father could attempt to speak to Peter... if he did, that was.

Toasts were next, and the bride's father went first as was required. He congratulated the newlyweds, thanked Michael's family, and the guests and officiators. Many people expressed their gladness, and soon it was Colin's turn.

Colin lifted his glass, clinking the fork on its side to draw attention before he made his speech.

"It's absolutely wonderful that we're all gathered here to witness my sister, the gorgeous bride right here, get hitched." Amy passed him a look, and he smiled in return. "I wish both Amy and Michael all the best in their life as a couple, 'specially now that they're legally bound to each other." The last part elicited curt laughter.

"And I'm sure a few of you might wonder when I will get married, too. I'll save us all the trouble of pulling off another splendid ceremony like this by not getting married." Colin's father had been talking to an aunt by then, but his words caused the man to trail off the conversation and focus his attention on his son, just as everyone was.

"I think marriage is a beautiful thing, and so is spending the rest of your life with the person you love. But I can have the second part without necessarily going through the first, right?" He saw his dad nod, although with a bit of reluctance. "And to be honest, I don't think my boyfriend would like to get married either."

He glimpsed at Peter, long enough to catch the small shrug and yet not divert attention unto him. His father however, didn't look so nonchalant, and Colin knew it was best to wrap up and avoid confrontation as fast as possible. The shocked expressions in the crowd were few, since practically everyone knew about his sexuality, but he knew even their assurance to his dad wouldn't be enough---looking at the fact that they had known for years and never said a word.

"Finding happiness with someone is amazing, and I'm glad that two people have been united today." He lifted his glass and said, "A toast to Michael and Amy," drinking quickly and slunk to the back before his father could notice his whereabouts.

Some equipment had been hired from Snapshot so he could print out the photos guests took right away, and he used the opportunity to get to that.

He was in the middle of enveloping a couple of them when he felt something hit the back of his head. He turned to see Peter standing with his hands behind his back.

"What are you doing here?"

"They're slow dancing and I'm the only one at a table with a plate in front of me. Also, I think your dad knows you were referring to me and will likely kill me with his eyes," Peter mumbled, sucking in a breath.

"He'll kill us both then. Especially with how I let him know I play for the same team."

Peter smiled. "What you did was awfully brave, though. I'm proud of you."

"You're not mad I publicly declared we won't ever get married?" Colin teased.

"Marriage? That's overrated. I'd rather just wear the suit and buy a cake. Seen to many relationships tear apart as soon as that certificate is signed. Ivy's, for instance. Not everyone is ready for that level of lifelong commitment." Peter's shoulders tensed and fell back down.

"Are you?"

"I am. But it doesn't need to be proved by signing a peace of paper."

"Can't argue with that," Colin said, tone falling. He reached out a hand, wiggling his fingers to alert Peter for him to grab onto them.

In only a matter of seconds, both of them had one hand poised on the other's waist, and the other holding onto a shoulder. They stepped in time with the music, slowly rocking together.

Colin had wanted a moment, one where both he and Peter could experience what Amy and Michael had felt up in front of the guests who came to witness their union.

That moment was bestowed on them when Peter stared up at him as the music drowned, looking into his soul and conjuring the biggest grin out of Colin. His heart felt full, overflowing the brim and spilling into the mass of sand when he followed Peter's lead, taking off his shoes, then his socks, thinking nothing of why they were rolling up the ends of their pants.

With a mischievous smile climbing up his face, Peter pulled him along, away from the party and towards the sea, kissing him briefly when he was sure the only witnesses to their union were the graceful sun, the churning waves, the warming sand snuggled between their toes, and their little fingers locked in a lifelong promise.

The End.

~~

You have officially made it to the end of the journey---although there will be a 3 chapter epilogue---and I want to thank you for supporting me and this book this far!!♡

Thoughts on this ending??😩

~

My creator's Instagram is slimmwrites and y'all can give me a follow there!

A couple of you mentioned the previous chapter not being as dramatic as you expected. It actually was (and there was even a scene where Peter calls Dakota and asks her to get Colin out of the apartment) but I cut it out since the chapter was already hella long and I eould have to cut it in two. That may happen during editing---no promises.

To the many readers---old and new and ghost alike, who I might not mention because there's A LOT of you---I give a GIANT Thank You for making me laugh and cry and sacrifice sleep and have the absolute best time writing. I love you guys!
But for the readers I recognize, which include readinheart Dirty_Birdy picklejuice100  nikitaunam GoddessAchlys Miku_Trix not-today-dudes notahotmess frogconvert Remme_rat stellsola ateez_x donutfillings Nicoismysenpai icyyfelicia umidunno19 -LittleUmbrella- Spidagravy ur_mums_a_hoe prettyshinythings SannevanAken Friendly-Monster takemyfourthgrandkid PeAnUt069 green_teaz SolangeloMalec777 love you guyysss

Don't forget to drop a vote! ☆

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

833K 56.2K 37
[BxB] Alexander Smith has a love-hate relationship with trashy online novels, scoffing at the problematic main leads, clueless protagonists and the r...
179K 7.1K 39
Bad boy, introverted nerd. Two boys, one Biology project. When a Biology project forces Ryder and Nathan together, an unexpected bond forms between...
170K 5K 75
Marc Williams started having some financial problems after his dad's job was cut short, he decided to get a part time job where someone gives him a l...
1.1M 48.2K 64
Jamie is happy with life, he has everything under control and every day is the same, just like he wants it. He is a loner by choice, girlfriends and...