A Melody With You ~ Saimatsu...

By aSilentPassion

A Hopes Peak Academy without despair? Shuichi Saihara and Kaede Akamatsu are first years at Hopes Peak Academ... More

Ultimate Pianist - Chapter 1
Detective Akamatsu and Saihara on the Case! - Chapter 2
Ultimate Detective - Chapter 3
Believe in Yourself - Chapter 4
Getting to Know You - Chapter 5
A Duet Together - Chapter 6
1st Year Ultimate Students - Chapter 7
Maki Roll- Chapter 8
Date - Chapter 9
Confession - Chapter 10
Pianist and Adventurer - Chapter 11
Training - Chapter 12
Tension - Chapter 13
The Truth Behind Your Lies. - Chapter 14
A Melody With You - Chapter 15
Relationship - Chapter 16
Short 1 ⭐ - Iruma's New Invention
Double Date - Chapter 17
To get the Astronaut and Assassin Together - Chapter 18
Short 2 - Shuichi's Love Hotel Event
Class Representative - Chapter 19
Shipping - Chapter 20
Our True Feelings - Chapter 21
Ultimate Hang Out - Chapter 22
Kaito Momota and Maki Harukawa - Chapter 23
Short 3 - Meeting You Again
Hopes Peak Getaway - Chapter 24
Meeting the Cast - Chapter 25
Mr. Shirokuro - Chapter 26
Day Two - Chapter 27
Disaster - Chapter 28
Short 4 ⭐ - Pool Troubles
Investigation - Chapter 29
Our Class Trial - Chapter 30
Short 5 - Reality Dating Show
Our Getaway Conclusion - Chapter 31
The Calm Before The Storm - Chapter 32
Short 6 - A Special Present For a Special Pianist
Dawn of Despair - Chapter 33
Endeavor - Chapter 34
Only I Deserve The Pain - Chapter 35
Short 7 - Little Saihara
Short 8 ⭐️- Kiss The Girl
Decrescendo from Hope - Chapter 36
Crescendo into Despair - Chapter 37
Without You - Chapter 38
Three Words - Chapter 39
Short 9 - Hanahaki
Moving On - Chapter 41
Evil Organization? - Chapter 42
Cheating - Short 10 ⭐
Planning - Chapter 43
Before the Festival - Chapter 44
Practice - Chapter 45
Motivation and Rivalry - Chapter 46
Comfort - Short 11 ⭐
Sports Festival - Chapter 47
Class Events Part 1 - Chapter 48
Class Events 2 - Chapter 48.5
Unwanted Memories - Chapter 49
Unwanted Memories Part 2 - Chapter 49.5
Special Spot in My Heart - Short 12

Goodbye to the Past - Chapter 40

2.2K 30 883
By aSilentPassion

I rested on Shuichi's shoulder for a while. We cuddled together, getting back the time we had lost together. A cute blush resided on his face as I huddled up next to him. Momota and Harukawa were luckily out of the room, talking to Shuichi's uncle. I heard laughing from his uncle as Momota enthralled him with his space speeches. I couldn't exactly see Harukawa, but I could tell she was probably annoyed.

I have no time to think about that though. I grasp Shuichi tighter as he leans his head on mine. I was a blushing mess, and my eyes were almost as red as my face from crying. Do I even deserve this?

"..I love you." he mutters as he combs his fingers through my hair. It's almost like he heard my thoughts. I let out a soft smile as I whisper back.

"Love you too."

I don't deserve him. I really don't. I'm gonna make it up to him.. I'll prove to him that he's the only one I love. I have to show him I won't do anything like that again before I can consider myself clean enough to date him.

Although...

We were kinda acting like a couple already.

...

Shuichi and I walked out of the room after about 20 minutes of holding each other and appreciating one another. We muttered out things that we haven't been able to say to each other for the past week. We held each other's hands, our hearts fluttering from the nostalgic feel of our intertwined fingers.

It was only a week but it felt so long.

As we walk to the living room, Shuichi makes eye contact with his uncle. He pales as he looks towards his shoes in guilt.

"Shuichi?" I grasped his hand tighter.

"A-Ah, it's fine." he inhaled deeply. His uncle looked away from him as he continued talking to Momota with a grin.

"Did something happen?"

"I was being stubborn and yelled at him when he was trying to help me.." his voice was so soft as he spoke, he clearly felt bad about the ordeal.

"You should apologize." I give a comforting smile at him. "He'll forgive you, as long as you apologize."

"You're right. Thank you." he smiles back as he lets go of my hand and walks in front of me.

"No problem." I mutter under my breath as he takes a deep breath in.

"U-Uncle," his uncle tilted his head towards him, "I'm sorry for ignoring your advice. I was being stubborn and stupid. I-I should rely on your help in the future."

His uncle leaped up as he walked over to Shuichi. He hung his head low as his uncle approached him with a blank expression. "You don't have to forgive me."

His uncle swiftly wrapped him in a hug. "It's okay, bud'." he ruffled his dark hair, making the boy cringe.

"I-It is?"

"Of course! If you're apologizing, it means you understand now. Hell, I couldn't be more proud of you now. You've changed so much these past few months at Hopes Peak."

"Really?"

"Yup!" his uncle announced as he held him tight. "Before, you would always focus on your cases and not interact with anyone else. You talked to no one and made schoolwork and regular work your priority. You did everything by yourself. Now, look at ya'!" he pointed at the 3 of us spectators with a big grin. "You got three good friends that care about you enough to make sure you're okay. You can rely on them like you can rely on me, as your dad."

"..Dad?" Shuichi wiped away his own happy tears.

"A-Ah, shit!" his uncle let go, embarrassed. "I mean uncle."

Shuichi chuckled as he fixed his messy hair. "I mean, you were always a father to me, uncle. You were the one to give me a childhood and a fun one at that. You always took care of me and made my happiness a priority. You took the spot my father could never have." he gave a smile as his uncle looked in shock. His uncle clenched his stomach as he rubbed his eyes.

"D-Damn, why you saying sentimental stuff like that now?" he sniffled as he rubbed his eyes with his wrist. "I'm not crying."

"Thank you for everything, uncle. When I hear the word 'father', I can't imagine anyone except you."

"I lied, I am crying!" the tears finally released from his uncle's eyes to freely stream down. This time, Shuichi hugged him. The corners of his uncle's lips quirked up to show a genuine smile, not a one that seemed manly and outgoing like it usually was; it was a smile that showed he was genuinely happy. Momota smirked as he crossed his arms, Harukawa had a straight face. I was happy to see his uncle being genuine for once.

"You know, let me make you all dinner for this." his uncle offered all of us after separating from Shuichi. "For helping out my boy."

"We'd love that!" Kaito cheers.

"O-Oh, no!" Shuichi quickly stops him. "It's fine! Fuyuka is coming home in an hour so it's okay!"

"Don't worry, I can't keep ya' waitin'!" his uncle insisted. Right, Shuichi's uncle is a bad cook.

"Ah, actually. I can't." Momota scratched the back of his head with a sigh. "I forgot I have stuff to do."

Momota took the hint?

"Aw, that's too bad." Mr. Saihara put down a cooking utensil with a disappointed look. "It's fine, you can come over another time!"

"Alright!" he put a thumbs up. "Shuichi, meet up at our training area."

"W-What? This late?"

"Hell yea! No skipping out, we've been skipping enough. We can't waste any more time, meet me in an hour! See you there! Bye Kaede! See ya', Maki Roll! Love you!" he flew out the door with max speed as he ran down the streets, shutting the door behind him.

Harukawa blushed as she looked away, playing with her hair. "His uncle is still here.."

"I didn't hear a thing." he turned away, covering his ears with his fingers.

Oh, it looks like he was actually busy.

He started walking towards his room, still covering his ears. "Anyways, if you don't want dinner, just wait 'till Fuyuka comes home. Later, Shuichi, Akamatsu, Tarukala!"

Harukawa's blush faded as she looked at him in disgust. She discarded what he said as she looked to the both of us with her usual stale demeanor. "I probably should get going too."

"Aw, okay then!" I waved to her with a grin. "Bye, Harukawa. Thanks for your help, again. This wouldn't have happened if not for you. You're a great friend, you know that!?"

"Mhmm.." she turned her heel as she walked up to the front door. She hesitated before opening the front door. "No problem." she muttered out to us before swiftly leaving.

~Perspective Change (Saihara)~

I turn my head towards the pianist now that everyone was gone. It was pretty late... "Are you gonna go too?" I asked.

"Nope!" she exclaimed with a grin filled with excitement. "We have so much time we missed out on. Now that I can... I want to spend every second with you."

My face flared up at her protest. "U-Uh.."

"I-I mean, unless you're busy! Or if you don't want to hang out!" she throws up her hands as she explained, her pupils facing everywhere except my eyes. I chuckled as I grabbed her hand to calm her down, giving a gentle squeeze.

"I'd love to hang out for a bit."

Her worry faded away instantly as she let out a soothing smile. "Thank you."

"N-No problem." We looked into each other's eyes, our heart fluttering from how close we were. My lips were trembling, forming an awkward smile as hers was stable, too happy to even be awkward of the situation.

She lifted her heels up to try and match my height as I instinctively leaned in, closing my eyes. I could feel her breath against mine as we got close enough and -

"'Ight I'm back!" my uncle comes barging in the living room. "Toyota and Honda out yet?" he walks in and sees the two of us.

We slowly look back to my uncle in complete embarrassment. With flustered looks we jumped back from each other, looking at my wide eyed uncle. "Whoops." he mutters as he covers his eyes. "I didn't see anythin'."

"You clearly did!" I yell out, my face complete red. He keeps interrupting us at the worst possible times. I swear he's doing this on purpose or something!

"Continue on." with his back faced to us, he waved. I covered my face in embarrassment as Kaede did the same.

After calming down, we awkwardly shifted to the couch to sit down, she faced me with a slight blush still residing on her adorable face.

She took a deep exhale, and put her arms out to initiate a hug. I smiled back as I let myself get wrapped in her arms, giving a hug back. Her warmth spread across my body as she rested herself on my lap. We looked at each other with a passionate smile before engaging in the kiss that my uncle had interrupted a bit ago.

"You know, Shuichi.." she started as she separated from my lips.

"Hm?" I hummed in response, resting my chin against her shoulder.

"You smell pretty bad."

My good mood crumbles as I look at her, my expression turning into a dismayed one. Her lips curled upward to form a smug smirk while I slowly died on the inside. That's right... I haven't been giving myself proper hygiene because of my focus on this case.

I push her off my lap making her yelp in surprise as I stand up.

"Jeez, it's fine! So what if you smell pretty bad?" she giggled.

"I'm taking a shower." I groan as I walk off to the bathroom.

"No, no! I'm just kidding~" she grabs my hand. "Don't worry about it!"

"I'm worrying about it." my eyebrows furrow in distress. There's nothing more humiliating than to smell bad when you're in the middle of kissing a girl you like.

She covers her hand to contain a laugh. "You can take one after I leave. I do need to get home before dinner so I'll leave soon, my parents didn't even know I was headed out." she walked to the couch and patted her hand against the cushion.

I sat down next to her as she rested herself on my shoulder. I rested my head against hers as we held hands again and calmly rested there until she had to go.

...

"Well, Shuichi. I'll see you soon." Kaede kneeled down as she put on her shoes. "The next time I see you... Well, you already know what I'm gonna ask." she turned back and gave a wink.

I timidly nodded with a faint blush, making her laugh. "Yea..."

"Well, bye, Shuichi! See you tomorrow!" she gave me a quick hug as she skipped over to her house... She's so adorable.

I checked the clock next to the door and it was almost time for me to meet up with Momota! I guess I lost track of time with Kaede.. After taking a quick shower (even though we were about to work out, making me take another shower), I would head out.

"Uncle, I'm heading out. I'll eat leftovers when I get home."

"Alright!" he gave a thumbs up, not letting his eyes from the frying pan. I cringed at the sight, hopefully Fuyuka would come home soon so the leftovers would be edible.

After I took a quick shower and got dressed, I ran over to our usual training area. I was only 5 minutes late, hopefully Momota wouldn't scold me too much over that. It really has been a while since I've last worked out, it's been a nice change of pace to not have my whole body sore before I go to sleep. However, it was at the cost of my mental health stressing over a stupid case...

I can't believe I'm even putting it off right now. It's okay, I have all the time in the world to solve the case. I feel pretty bad about it, but making it up to my friends is more important. Kazama hasn't contacted me for a while so hopefully he won't even care if I take a little more time.

Hopefully.

I really do need to thank Kaede for being that push towards my motivation. Maybe with her motivation I can get a breakthrough. Nah, actually, definitely. She's the one I can rely on all the time and I have my other friends to back me up.

As I walk to the lake, I see Momota sitting on the benches next to a figure. I couldn't really see who they were so I winced my eyes.

I saw a familiar green haired boy.

I immediately turned heel and tried to leave but Momota unfortunately noticed me. "Ayee, Shuichi! What's up?!"

"S-Sorry Momota, I realized I have things to do." I quickly mutter to him as I make my way back home. He runs up to me and puts a hand on my shoulder. I turn my head towards the astronaut with a sigh. "I don't want to talk to him, Momota..."

"Listen." he gripped my shoulder tightly so I couldn't escape. "I know you're mad but the most we can do is talk to him. Trust in me, alright bro? It's gonna suck if you guys hate each other for the rest of the year. Plus, it took me a while to even convince him to come."

I shrugged his hand off my shoulder as I reluctantly agreed, "Fine.."

"Alright!" he gives me his signature grin with a thumbs up. He marches back to the adventurer casually while I awkwardly shuffle my way there. I tried my best to avoid eye contact with him, I mean, he's the one that kissed my girlfriend.. When Amami caught sight of me, he looked to the side.

"So this is why you brought me here, huh?" he gave an awkward smile as Momota and I walked up to him.

"Yup." he responded with a nod.

"Since Saihara seems to have cheered up, I'm assuming he got back with Akamatsu?"

"U-Um.." I look down. "We made up."

"..Cool." he scratched the back of his head, refusing to look at me. The tone in which he said that made me feel he was a little disappointed in my response.

"More than anything right now, they're friends with benefits! They're not dating until she's done with you for good." Momota cut in with a smirk.

"M-Momota!" I yell at his brashness. Amami brushed it off with a shrug.

We made our way to the patio and sat at the picnic table. Amami tapped his finger on the table and leaned on his hand as I awkwardly sat there with my hands on my knees.

"Anyways, guys." Momota started the conversation with a smirk. "Let's work it out between all of us. I'm sure you guys have some tension between each other.."

We both nodded our heads.

"Listen, that ain't gonna work out in the long run. Are you two really just gonna avoid each other for the rest of the year?"

"Well, that was the plan." Amami shrugged. I guiltily looked to the side, maybe we could've been better friends if he didn't know Kaede before..

"That's not gonna work out!" Momota punched his fists together, resonating a dull sound throughout the neighborhood. I see him wince in pain just from that. "We're in the same class. 'Cause we're in the same class, we should all be friends. If there's one disconnection between all of us, class will be pretty shitty."

"There's 16 of us," Amami put his arm out as he explained, "not all of us are gonna be friends. It's not unnatural for some of us to have tension, and that's completely okay. Not like we all hang out anyways." he chuckled.

"Nah, it's not!" he responds with a lot of force behind his words. "Listen up! Your squabble between each other is gonna involve everyone else. We'll have to put off plans that include the whole class just because both of you are gonna be there.. So just be men already and make up!"

I looked over to Amami with distrustful eyes. After I took his ex from him, would he be quick to just make up with me? Even I'm reluctant to forgive him. In fact, I'm furious with him. Just being next to him gives me memories of what had happened..

"It's not like I dislike Saihara." he responded with a sigh, not putting any attention to me. I was a little relieved to hear that from him. "It's probably pissing him off just me being around me. I'll excuse myself from the problem." he let out a smile as he stood up and prepared to walk away.

Momota stopped him with a remark, "How long are you gonna keep lying, man? Just say what you wanna say so you can work it out."

"..I'm not lying." he turns back to us with a smile. "Don't worry, I don't hate Saihara."

"Hey, what about him?! What if my sidekick hates you? You didn't even talk it through!"

"I mean, do you?" he turned his head towards me.

"Uh, I guess not?"

"See?" he put his arm out towards his proof being correct.

"Shuichi!" Kaito turned to me, dissatisfied with my response.

It is true that I don't hate Amami, I'm just... angry. I can't imagine us being close friends, but rather acquaintances that could talk when needed. I don't imagine myself enjoying his company and I'm sure he feels the same. In the end, I don't think it really matters.

"I'm glad you're better, Momota. And I'm glad you made up with Akamatsu, Saihara." I couldn't tell if his words were genuine. "I'll be seeing you... I don't want people worrying about me anyways." he smiled at us to show comfort.

"Dumbass! It's so clear you're struggling. It's not manly to keep it all to yourself. You're gonna make dumb decisions, clearly shown by what you did at Oma's house. Except, it doesn't have to be like that! You can talk to us, bro. We wanna hear your problems."

Amami stopped in his tracks. "You... want to?"

"Of course we do! We're classmates, so obviously we're friends! Did some dumb shit, obviously, but that's why you're gonna get paid back for it."

Although hesitant, Amami sat down with us. "Well, if that's what you want." he hummed.

"Hell yea it is." Momota smirked. "Why are you even chasing after Akamatsu still?"

"I... don't know." he rolled his eyes to the side as he thought. "You really gotta admire those leadership skills of her. Plus, she's pretty cute and good at playing piano."

I've gotta agree with him.

"Bro." Momota groaned. "I mean, why are you still chasing after her when she's dating someone." he pointed his eyes at me.

"Oh." he awkwardly chuckled. "That's... sensitive."

"On a scale of one to ten, how sensitive?" he questioned.

"Uh," Amami put a finger to his chin as he thought of the number. "I guess a six?"

"Well, guess that means you gotta tell us, if it's not higher than a seven then it's not painful!" Momota exclaimed.

"I change my answer then. Seven."

"Against the rules." he quickly retorted. "I usually wouldn't care but I feel Shuichi deserves to know. You know, because you kissed his girlfriend."

"Well, looks like I got no choice then." he gave a laid back smile but it quickly went away as he took a deep breath to explain.

"If I give up on Akamatsu, I feel like I've betrayed everyone."

"..Why?" I question.

"Well, not literally everyone." he places his hand on his forehead. "Just.. My sister. And my family. And Akamatsu herself."

"What?"

"I lost my sister during an adventure because I'm an idiot." I was surprised to hear those words from him. "I gave up everything to look for her, including my relationship with Akamatsu. It's been a couple of years now so I'm sure I'm a failure that lost his sister. So if I give up.." he gave a menacing glare at us. "That means I abandoned her for nothing."

"Amami.."

"I broke up with her just to find my sister, and then to realize that my efforts are useless?!" he sounded genuinely distressed as he continued explaining. The calm demeanor that he usually had completely vanished. "That means I broke her heart for nothing. God, I don't know what to do." he leaned his forehead on his palms as he dug his fingers into his bangs. "I really don't know what to do. Saihara, you gotta understand, right?" he looked up at me with hope in his eyes. I stiffen up from his gaze. "You know I deserve this. I want to get at least Akamatsu back. Please."

My eyes widen from his story, I lean my head on my hand to try and grasp the situation. It really is an upsetting story, he has a much better reason to get back with Kaede than I do. I completely understand his side of the story. He's suffered through a lot, he definitely deserves her more than I do. I don't want to get in the way between them.

It would be better for him to be with her after all.

"Amami, I-"

"Man, what are you talking about?" Momota scratched the back of his head with a loud sigh, cutting my agreement off. "Kaede isn't an item. You don't deserve her or anything, you fucked up and you gotta live with that. It's who she wants that determines who she'll get with, not over who you think deserves it more. You just gotta understand she doesn't want you anymore."

"Momota.." I look . He gave me a comforting smirk, motivating me a little bit as well. It's like he sensed I was about to make a bad decision. As a hero, I guess he knows his sidekicks pretty well.

"...You're probably right. I don't wanna steal what Saihara's gotten, so I give up." Amami's face of distress disappeared, replaced by a laidback expression.

Yet...

That was too quick. I felt it was a lie.

"Really?" Momota questioned with suspicion.

"Yup." he shrugged as he closed his eyes with a calm smile. "I give up.

"Amami, tell us the truth here!" I slam my hand against the table, even surprising Momota. "We can't talk it out if you refuse to tell the truth!"

"I just did." he crossed his arms. "There's nothing more to it."

"No, tell the truth of how you actually feel about the situation!" I argue back. "Amami, I want to hear the truth. I changed my mind. I want to be friends with you. I want you to feel the same way about me too." Momota smirked as he nodded his head to my words.

Amami had a blank face as he looked at me. Then, it contorted into a laughing fit as he put his hand behind his head. "Saihara, you're really something else."

"Wh-What?"

"You're mature." he says simply. "I respect that. I wish I could be like you." he sat up from his seat, still having an enigmatic smile. "Unfortunately.. I'm an awful older brother that can't even save his sister. The world told me it was impossible, and I should've believed that a long time ago. I literally have nothing. I broke my girlfriend's heart... Failed my family..." his eyes dulled as his expression steadily turned more agitated. "And I killed my sister..."

"No, that's wrong!" I yell out to him, making him wince in confusion. "I'm sure your sister's still out there!"

"What are you talking about..?" his eyes slowly faced towards me. I could see how hurt he was just from the look in his eyes.

"Amami. Your sister is still out there." I declared with a meaningful gaze.

"There's no evidence behind that reasoning, it's just a lie!" he threw his arms out to the side as he glared at me. It was surprising to see him riled up like this when he's usually so calm and collected. He truly looked angry.

"We'll find out if it's really a lie once we fully explore the idea!" I retort as I stand up with him.

"What..?"

"I believe that she's alive until we prove she's dead. Trust in that small chance of hope that she's alive!" I yelled so he would consider my words as the truth.

"I've traveled for years looking for her, I can't..." he hung his head low.

"Then.." I walk up to meet him eye to eye for the first time in a while. "Let me help you. You can trust in my talent as the Ultimate Detective to find your sister. I promise you I'll at least find your sister! No matter what, we'll find closure between you two!"

Amami was stunned from my words. "You're.. The first one to believe in the fact that my sister's alive." he placed a hand to his face in disbelief.

"I'm sure it's because you don't tell anyone." I gently chide the green haired boy.

"Pf.." he lets out a laugh as he places his hand behind his head. "I'm caught. I'm supposed to be the reliable older brother type, you know? Can't let others worry about me."

"You should know that you can rely on us, Amami. We're your.. uh.. friends." I say, although I was hesitant to get the words out. Could I even consider Amami a friend..?

"Maybe we're not there yet." he chuckled. "We'll get closer throughout the school years. Hey Saihara, listen."

"Huh?"

"I'll give up on Akamatsu."

Those words were enough to make me sigh in relief. The mental strain of him doing something again immediately went away. I almost fell on the table but I quickly caught myself.

"On one occasion." his words interrupted my mini celebration. I awkwardly turn my head towards him, nervous of his request.

"Y-Yea, sure! What is it?"

"You're helping me find my sister." he put his finger up as he smiled.

What a simple request, why'd I get scared? I chuckle at the thought, it was easier than what I imagined. "Of course, Amami. I already agreed on it. We'll definitely find your sister."

"Sounds good. I feel comforted knowing the Ultimate Detective is gonna help me out. Don't worry, we'll help each other out." We traded a smile as he put his hand out. I firmly grasp it and shake his hand, initiating the deal between us. It may not be soon, it may take years but..

I'll definitely find your sister, Amami!

"Hey, we're all friends now!" a voice chirped from behind us, making me yelp. "Nice!"

I forgot Momota was still here..

"Maybe just subordinates for now." Amami corrected him.

"Whatever, whatever. Subordinates, fuckin'friendordinates whatever. You guys don't hate each other, so that's a win!"

"You know, Momota. You were kinda like a therapist in a lovers quarrel." I point out with a faint chuckle.

"O-Oi, shut up!" he argued back. "I'm being cool and helping out my friends."

If it weren't for Momota, I'd probably still be having harsh feelings towards Amami. I still do, but... With time, I believe I can forgive him.

"What's with that look, Shuichi?" Momota faced me with concern.

"A-Ah!" I put my hands up defensively. "Nothing."

"I'd imagine he still has at least some pent up anger at me."

"Oh, yea!" Momota hit his forehead for his naivety. "Duh. Stuff like that can't be fixed that easily."

"It's okay. With time, things will be good." I reassure Momota but he shook his head.

"There's always gonna be some pent up anger between you two."

"Yea.." Amami had a regretful look on his face.

"So, there's one thing you can do, Shuichi!"

"..Huh?" I tilt my head towards the astronaut in confusion.

"Punch him!"

"Sure. I probably deserve it." he snickers.

"Wait, wait, I'm not punching anyone!"

"Nah, punch him!"

"Yea, do it. I don't mind." Amami scratched the back of his head with a calm smile.

"I don't wanna punch anyone!" I reassure the two.

"He said he wants it!"

"I did." he agreed with the astronaut.

Sweat runs down the side of my head as I desperately try to reason this out. "I don't want to punch you!"

"You should!"

"I won't mind."

"I'm not gonna!" 

"Come on, punch him."

"Yea, punch me." Amami put both of his arms up, welcoming a punch.

"No!"

"Punch him~" Momota responded in a sing song voice.

"Punch me."

I punched him.

"Aghh! Fine!" I yell out as my fist intersects with his face.

"Ow." a dull sound resonated throughout the area as he recoiled back and fell on the floor.

"Woah, you actually did it." Momota put his hand on his forehead in shock, inhaling through his teeth at the sight of Amami on the floor.

"Didn't you want me to?!" I complained at the astronaut as he laughs.

"Jeez, I'm just kidding."

I put my hand out to pick up the adventurer, he grabs it as I pull him out. He rubbed his cheek as he grinned at me. "Now we're even."

"Sorta." I chuckle.

"Alright, now that we're all here!" Momota punched his fists together again. "Let's work out together."

"..Huh?" Amami faced towards him with a brow raised.

"Come on, no fault in training to get stronger!" he smirked as he gave a thumbs up. "Plus, it's more time to spend with Shuichi."

"I mean, sure. Why not?" he shrugged.

"Alright, gimme 200 push ups!"

"Two hundred...?" I detested the idea of my poor arms doing two hundred push ups right now. I would have to convince them to give me a break!

...

Despite my pleads, Amami, Momota, and I were suddenly working out together. It was strange that I was willingly doing push ups right next to the guy I despised just a few hours ago.

"Nice, Amami, you're not half bad!" Momota complimented the adventurer as he did consistent push ups. It wasn't as fast as Harukawa, but still faster than anything I could do.

"Thanks, I try." he responded, still focusing on doing push ups. "After a couple of expeditions, I'd imagine my body is pretty fit."

I could barely focus on their conversation as I struggled to get my 60th push up in.

"Hey, Momota.. Why aren't you doing push ups too?" Amami pointed out. "You're the one who even suggested we all work out in the first place."

"U-Uh!" he coughed as he thought of an excuse. "I'm still pretty sick right now, plus I did push ups waiting for you two to get here! So, it's difficult for me to do some right now."

"Huh, sounds valid. Impressive." he dismissed the obvious lie.

"M-Momota, stop lying and do push ups with us." I face my head towards him as he gave a nervous laugh.

"Woah, that's the Ultimate Detective for you." Amami responded in a laid back tone. "Even I didn't notice that lie."

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic." I struggle to get out my words out as he gently laughed.

...

"Nice work, team." Momota got up after doing zero push ups. Amami wiped the sweat off his forehead as he casually got up, breathing heavily. I refused to get off the ground to rest my arms, it had been a while since I last used them. I spent most of my time in my room throughout the week...

"Thanks.." I mutter as Momota pulled me up. He gave a nod as he walked to get his coat on the table.

"Hey." Amami walked up to me as I chugged the water bottle I brought. He put his hand up as I put my focus on him.

"Huh?" I put down the water bottle.

"Thanks for your words. And our promise." he gave a smile, he looked truly thankful.

"A-Ah, no problem." I awkwardly laugh. "But I'm still an apprentice.. Maybe you shouldn't rely on me too much."

"Hey, I'm getting pretty nervous now!" he laughed with me as he put his hand behind his head. "But it's fine. I won't rely on you too much, we're a team. By the time we search for her, we'll be better friends." I nodded my head in agreement with a smile. He then turned his gaze away with a look of guilt. "Listen, I'm sorry for what I did at the party."

"Oh, uh.. Don't worry about it..?" I was hesitant to forgive him, I was still a little angry at him.

"Obviously not. Listen, I'm gonna head off to Akamatsu's house."

"Huh..?" I glare at the adventurer. He put his hands out to calm me down with a nervous smile.

"Relax, not in the way you think." he reassured me as I slowly averted my gaze. "I'm certain she has some resolve after talking to you. I'm gonna make sure she gives up on me."

"Really?" I was a little suspicious.

"Promise it." he gave a lax smile as he put his hands on his hips. "If not, I dunno, have Harukawa attack me or something."

"I-I don't wanna do that!" I squeeze my water bottle in shock, spraying water to the side.

"She already kicked me in the shin pretty hard. I guess it befits her talent." he pointed to his shin to reveal a very noticeable bruise. I faced him with worry but he quickly reassured me it was okay. "Don't worry, pain's long gone. As long as you don't touch it, anyway."

"Alright.." I sigh. I'll believe in Amami's words, he seems genuine enough. He seems like a caring guy so I'm sure he won't go against his words, risking his chance of getting his sister back.

Momota ran up to us as he got his coat. "Alright, well. I'll see you tomorrow, Shuichi. And Amami, see you at school."

"Yea, cya." Amami waved at him as Momota ran off. In the background, I almost saw him trip over nothing but he quickly caught himself.

"Saihara, be the man that I could never be to Akamatsu, alright?" Amami faced me with a serious expression. "You obviously make her happy. I'm stupid and didn't realize that sooner, just too blinded by my own failures to acknowledge that. The moment I broke up with her that day, I ended everything. Just.. Make her happy, okay?"

"Of course, Amami." I give a look full of resolve.

"Haha," he gave an unsure smile, "still a little disappointed that I'm not the one in Akamatsu's heart. If it's with you, though, I'm sure she'll be happier. Don't do something like I did."

I nod my head in response.

"Shoot, it's getting pretty late." he looked at his phone. "If I want to make it before she heads to bed, I gotta go. I'll see you later." he turned his back to me as he walked away. He clenched his fists tight as he uneasily walked. I could feel he was still unsure about finding his sister...

"Amami, if you're still doubting that we'll find your sister, don't! We're definitely gonna find your sister, I'm sure of it! No matter how long it takes, we will find her!" I shape my hands over my mouth to amplify my shout. Still walking off, he waved at me.

"Yea!" he put his clenched fist up so I could see his clear gratitude. "I look forward to working with you, Saihara." his steps became more consistent as he calmly walked towards Kaede's house. He gave one final look back at me with a determined smile.

I sat down at the benches with an exasperated sigh. Did I successfully make up with Amami..?

~Perspective Change (Akamatsu)~

Sitting at the piano, I played a calming melody. Tomorrow, I would have to face my ex and end things for good. Would he understand? Would he get angry? I was unsure and I wasn't looking forward to find out.

The sound of my parents talking in the kitchen wasn't enough to distract me from my thoughts and my song.

But the doorbell was.

I shot up from my seat and walked towards the door before my mom could ask me to get it. I wondered who would be at my house this late..

I opened the door to see the one person I really didn't want to see right now.

"..Hey." he put his hand up to wave but I quickly tried to close the door.

He put his foot to stop the door from slamming, but winced in pain from his foot getting crushed. From mere pity, I opened the door to free his foot.

"Can we talk..?" he asked, trying to ignore the pain in his foot.

"..No." I wasn't ready yet. If he's come over on his own free will, I can't imagine it'd be anything good. "Please leave."

My mom called out from the kitchen. "Honey, who is that?"

"U-Uh, no one!" I yelled back as I hurry out the door. I closed it behind me so they wouldn't hear our conversation. "Amami, please leave."

"Hey, any longer we put this off, the worse it's gonna get for everyone else. Let's just talk." he reasoned with me.

I sighed. "Fine." I reluctantly agreed to hear him out. He's right, I was gonna talk to him tomorrow anyways... I was just trying to put it off.

He crossed his arms. "Do you think we can date?"

I instantly frowned. I knew he was gonna ask something like that.

"No." I quickly shot down his proposal.

"Why is that?" he questioned.

I clenched my fist in frustration, shouldn't he know the answer? "Well, it's because... I don't love you anymore. It's been years since we broke up, Amami." Thankfully, I was preparing my speech for tomorrow so I had a semi-reasonable answer for him.

Surprisingly, he didn't seem hurt by my answer. He simply moved on to his next question, "Do you think you can love me again?"

"No, of course not. You broke my heart, Amami.. I just want to move on from you and forget about our relationship. I want to be with Shuichi."

He gave a satisfied smirk as he asked his next question, "What's Shuichi got that I don't have?"

I answer that question as well with a frustrated expression, "Shuichi's there for me to help my problems and relies on me, in contrast to you leaving me to deal with your problems yourself."

"Good point." he scratched the back of his head with a smile. "One last question... Do you think we can get our relationship back?"

"Amami..." my eyebrows furrow as I face the green haired boy. He's been questioning me in a strange way, his questions were too easy to answer and always resulted in a negative response towards him. "What are you doing?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." he closed his eyes with a smug smile. I decided to ignore it as I answered his question.

"Amami, we can't get our relationship back. I'm ready to move on from you. I want you to forget about me too." I look to the side, I was too weak to match his gaze.

"Hey, Akamatsu. Look at me." I slowly face myself towards him. He looked.. content from my words. "Be more convincing with your words."

?

"Wha-"

"Come on. That's hardly enough to convince me." he states. "Drill this into my mind. I know you have the ability to, you have an amazing talent to make your words reach others. I need you to really make me realize this. So I can give up on you, and so you can give up on me for good. Make your words so strong so they can even convince yourself." he let out a grief-filled smile.

I don't know what Amami's thinking.. Why is he motivating me when he's the one getting hurt?

But he's right.

I take a deep breath in before proceeding with what I wanted to say. "Amami, we're through! From now on, we'll be nothing more than friends! I have no more feelings for you, and I want you to lose feelings for me as well! Our past relationship is done, you ended it years ago, please understand that! I can't be with you anymore because I've found someone else. I don't love you, because I love Shuichi!" I yell to him, tears flowing down my eyes. I've ended everything between us.

I can finally say goodbye to our past relationship.

I cover my mouth to contain my sobs as I look up to him. His smile was quivering as I saw tears accumulating in his eyes. He quickly rubbed them away as he faced me once again. "Nicely said, Akamatsu."

"Amami..?" I rub my tears away as I look at him. Did he want me to do this?

"I accept your words. We're over. Nothing more than friends. For real this time." he puts his fist out. I wipe the rest of my tears away as I gently bump his fist. "I promise."

I let out a strained laugh as I rub my eyes. "You better be serious about this one.." I cross my arms with a huff.

"Don't worry, I am." he walked away, hiding his expression. I couldn't tell if he was hurt or content with my words. I guess it's a little bit of both. "Hey, since you're done with me, I guess that means you're free to get another boyfriend."

I look up to him as he gives a smirk, his hands on his hips. "Go to him already. Before, you know, I cry in front of you."

I immediately smile.

"You're so dumb." I laugh as I open the front door. I quickly put on my shoes and prepare to make my way to Shuichi's house.

"Goodbye, Rantaro."

He raises a brow to hear his first name from me, but quickly understands what I mean. "Ah, yes. Goodbye, Kaede." his voice sounded sad, yet he sounded completely content.

I run past him, leaving him behind as I make my way towards my new future. My relationship with Rantaro Amami is over, and I welcome my relationship with Shuichi Saihara with open arms. I couldn't even contain my smile, the excitement to be with Shuichi again overcame my sadness of giving up on Amami.

As I get to Shuichi's house, I ring his doorbell multiple times (sorry to the others living there) until he opens the door. I couldn't contain my excitement.

He opens the door with a confused look, it looked like he just got out of the shower. I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms around him.

"W-Woah!?" he yelled out in confusion, but despite his confusion he hugged me back. He smelled really good compared to before..

"Shuichi." I look up at him with a glimmer in my eyes. His beautiful warm eyes that I fell in love with faced back.

"..Yes?"

"I like you. I really like you. I have a crush on you." his eyes widened, seems he finally understood what I'm asking. I smiled as I continued my confession. "I love you, so would you go out with me?" I smile brightly towards the boy, my heartbeat was going so fast albeit he had no reason to reject me.

"No." he responded coldly. My heart stopped.

"H-Huh?" My smile fades away instantly as I face towards him with confusion. Tears threatened to roll down my eyes.

"No, I'm just kidding." he had a smug look of satisfaction. "Of course I'll date you, I love you too."

"Shuichi, what the heck!" I yell out, gently hitting the boy's shoulder. "You scared me half to death!"

"I-I mean, you did the same thing to me when I asked you out!" he reasoned with me, it looks like he felt pretty bad.

"..Fair enough." I pout.

He laughs it off as he leans in and connected his lips with mine. I let my hand move to his cheek as I kiss him back with all my heart. I was so happy to be his again... A tear rolled down my cheek from sheer happiness as he kissed me.

We disconnected with a smile on both of our faces.

"I love you, Shuichi."

"I love you too, Kaede.." his smile was quivering from excitement and a cute blush was on his face, but he tried his best to look cool for me. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and pulled him in for another kiss... A kiss from my boyfriend was enough to cheer me up.

The only boyfriend I could ever want from now on.

A.N: dang kaede why you so clingy (jk)

Main point I wanted to make is that it's just a shitty situation that could've been solved if they just talked to each other. Communicating is the best way to resolve problems, nothing good will be done if you keep things to urself.

"wow so mature, author, ur so cool!"

/j

I hope you enjoyed this chapter everyone! I really hope that I will update more frequently, I'm sorry for being so slow with updating chapters. We're almost off this plot, so hopefully now that I can do fun things I'll write faster.

Not gonna lie, the first half I actually forgot how to write a fanfic because of how long I've been putting this chapter off. So the first half's vocabulary may suck immensely, and I apologize.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

593 13 28
Saiouma Story ( ja ich schreibe es auf Englisch) Ultimate High School Au (my Au) Kokichi Ouma (The Ultimate Supreme Leader) is a mysterious liar who...
4.1K 60 20
Shuichi is determined to solve the mystery behind the murder of Kaede's mother, but his investigation forces him to get closer to the ultimate pianis...
41.2K 648 15
"I wish I could tell her" Shuichi is Kaede's secret admirer since 1st year. He always want to tell her but it seems like destiny and shyness doesn't...
1.2K 36 5
Kaede Akamatsu has no faith in humanity; and she's determined to fix that in her own special way, no matter how long it may take. Cover edited by me...