EYES OF FIRE AND ICE

By infernoum

His dark voice trails down her spine, lighting a path of desire that renders her breathless. "If only I were... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four

Chapter Eighteen

2.5K 140 0
By infernoum

"You can close your eyes to reality, but not to memories." - Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

The right side of Alia's body slams onto the blue mat. A stinging pain blooms within her right thigh and it, along with the rest of her aching body, leads to her waving a hand in the air. "Okay, okay I'm done."

Remnants of punches and kicks from other training pack members linger within her bruising muscles. They asked to train with her and Liam and the pair obliged to the multiple requests. The different fighting styles were a valuable training resource, but it has tired them both exponentially. Some of them she managed to fight easily, but there were others that required much more effort from her side.

Alia experienced losses and wins, and gained a lot of knowledge on how to better her training for the Trials. That is, if she still wants to participate in it after tonight.

A hand is outstretched before her and she accepts it with a small groan. Liam pulls her to a stand, grimacing whilst he clutches the left side of his ribs with his free hand.

Neither of them speak as they grab their red-stained white towels and numbered keys, and waddle towards the large double doors that separate the central training room from the rest of the facility. Hisses and grunts leave their mouths as they try to find a comfortable gait.

They really didn't think this through.

Short strands of dark green grass smush underneath Alia's shoes as she trudges home with her arms wrapped around herself. Warm lights from homes and shops illuminate the surrounding dark environment and it helps her in keeping the forest border to her left.

When Alia and Liam walked out of the training centre, Alia was quickly informed by the male that the Gamma requested his presence. So, before they parted ways, Alia thanked him for the training session and for helping her get through her unusual anger.

It makes her wonder... why couldn't she calm down earlier?

Alia frowns as forbidden memories suddenly try to push their way to the forefront of her mind.

No, she shakes her head. Not —

Four faces flash forward.

Screwing her eyes shut, she tries to think of something - anything else to get rid of their haunting smiles. Her hands and knees find themselves dropping to the grass and her fingers roughly grip the uneven blades.

Harsh breaths are forced through clenched teeth whilst she tries to clear her mind, and her cheeks begin to flush in embarrassment. Ever since coming to this pack just over a week ago, Alia has found herself to be the centre of attention more times than she would like.

She can't go through it again.

The descent of the sun has helped hide her kneeling form from peering gazes, and the soft lights from the stone houses to her right are spaced far enough apart that she sits away from the crossfire. But, if any of the occupants were to look outside their windows, they would spot her darkened form within seconds.

She has to leave.

Pushing herself off the ground, Alia forces herself to shake away her thoughts and run home. The possibility of humiliation has enough adrenaline pumping through her arteries that it considerably numbs her aching muscles. She's had enough of people judging her in times of unwanted vulnerability.

Running a hand down her face whilst she runs, Alia notices the dampness of her skin and outstretches her hand with furrowed eyebrows. Golden light from the houses she races past reflect off of the small beads of moisture on her palm. With a small shake of her head, she wipes the palm against her clothed thigh and regains her focus on getting home.

After almost ten minutes, Alia has her house door unlocked and pushed open. She slams it closed and leans against it, finally succumbing to her mind.

Located in the centre of Veuross, the Gamma's local office is on the top floor of a four-storey building. The brown bricks covering the exterior make the structure blend in with its environment: brown bricked buildings. It's a stark contrast to the dark grey, stone houses in the residential areas of town.

Liam raises his right fist and knocks twice on a dark oak door that has a gold, rectangular metal plate containing the engraved title 'GAMMA'.

"Come in."

At his Gamma's response, he opens the door and walks into the office. Christian sits behind a large desk that matches the dark oak of the door. Two sizeable windows adorn the back wall of the office and the blinds are raised entirely, allowing for the sight of the starless sky. A tall lamp illuminates the back left corner of the room with a soft glow. The remaining three corners are completely black, darkened by the absence of the warm sun. He pays it no mind for he knows that bright lights bring his Gamma headaches.

Without a second to spare, Liam bows his head and closes the door behind him. "You requested my presence, Gamma?"

"Yes," Christian says, motioning towards a leather chair that sits across from him. "Take a seat, Liam."

Liam bows his head once again and sits down. The coffee-coloured, aged chair matches the one that his Gamma sits in. Atop the desk is a closed laptop and a couple of documents which have been placed at opposite ends of the table to leave the centre empty.

"Yesterday there was an operation to eliminate a group of foreign soldiers who infiltrated the Pack Border," Christian rests his forearms against the desk and laces his fingers together. "Valen Volkov was entrusted with this duty and returned early this morning with something—" he tilts his head to the left with a small frown. "Something that I need your help in identifying."

Liam nods and straightens. "Whatever you require, it is yours, Gamma."

Christian smiles at the young wolf's devotion and it has Liam's chest swelling with pride.

He watches as his Gamma looks over his right shoulder and towards the front right corner of the room. "Bring the uniform, Valen."

Liam's head snaps around to look behind his chair. His eyes are wide as he watches Valen's looming figure walk out from the shadowed corner with a small piece of fabric in hand. He spins back around to face his Gamma with wide eyes, who remains watching Valen as he nears the desk.

The air inside his lungs starts to dissipate, and his fingers begin to tremble, so he shoves them in between his thighs and takes a shaky, deep breath. Liam's skin grows warmer with each step and eventually the familiar fiery sensation in his neck starts to make itself known. He tilts his head to the left to bare his neck to the large male and the pain quickly eases. His eyes remain glued towards the centre of the desk.

Christian subtly adjusts the collar of his white dress shirt, tugging the tailored material away from his throat.

Valen stands near the right edge of the desk and places the dark blue, torn fabric in front of Liam. The lamp highlights the multiple pale scars ingrained into his bare arms and Liam swallows at the sight of a white, uneven band of skin that wraps around each wrist. He quickly averts his gaze, suddenly finding his training shoes interesting.

Christian leans forward and orientates the material before asking, "do you recognise this symbol?"

Valen moves away from the pair and leans his right shoulder against the back wall to observe strolling pack members through the closest of the two windows. His arms are crossed as he glances down at their small forms. It doesn't matter who he decides to focus on because they all seem to have the same reaction: peeping over their shoulders before hastily rushing past his view with widened eyes.

Liam lifts the surprisingly coarse item and examines the circular symbol with furrowed eyebrows. He slowly traces the curved lines and frowns.

Christian moves closer to the male, eyes wide with anticipation.

"I think I might have an idea." Liam starts, pausing at the sight of his Gamma's grin. "But, I need a few hours to confirm it."

This makes Christian sit back in his seat with his lips set in a line, eyes narrowing at the piece of fabric. After a few seconds, he briefly glances over at Valen and says "you have until midnight."

Liam nods and stands up from the chair. "Is there anything else that you require, Gamma?"

Christian shakes his head. "No, that is all."

Just as Liam begins to make his way to the door, his Gamma speaks once again, "remember Liam, what's said in this room stays in this room."

Liam turns back around and bows his head, "understood, Gamma." He straightens and his eyes momentarily flicker between Christian and Valen, who remains looking outside the window with a blank expression. A part of him is still in shock at the sight of the male and it's taking the majority of his focus to keep his hands from shaking again.

Glancing over at the pile of documents, Christian scratches his bearded chin. "Actually, I do have one question."

Blood pools around Alia's kneeling figure. Red blades of glass scratch her bare legs as she sits with her spine slightly hunched. Her clothes slowly stain crimson whilst her body begins to tremble under the searing heat.

A woman lies in her arms.

Alia pulls the female closer to her chest and notices a few water droplets landing against the woman's ghostly, almost translucent skin. A slow, growing pressure has been pressing against the centre of her chest for a while now, but she ignores it.

She can't bear to look at the woman's throat any longer. The blurry sight of a mangled trachea results in stomach acid reaching her tongue and it almost has her retching up an earlier lunch.

Brown strands of hair stick to the woman's skin, the ends soaked with blood and sweat.

Alia tries to move them away with the tips of her fingers, but only manages to smear blood against the female's skin. She didn't notice that her arms were covered in the warm liquid and she barely registers it even now.

She tries to breathe in the female's scent, but only a metallic odour fills her airways. The reality of never being able to inhale the woman's tender aroma again has Alia's bottom lip trembling. Her eyes squeeze shut and tears flow down her cheeks. They merge at the base of her chin and drip onto the woman's red clothes. They were white before Alia left for a run.

She was alive before Alia left for a run.

After minutes of great reluctance, Alia finally glances over to her right, where another body lies. A male. The pressure against her chest increases at the sight of his front sprawled atop the ruby-coloured grass. His limbs are bent at awkward angles as he lay beside her. Alia swallows and grimaces at the dry, scratchy sensation it brings. His eyes match the bloodied female's: open wide and void of life.

Pack members watch silently from the front of their homes, but Alia pays them no mind. She doesn't even realise that they're there.

Footsteps approach from her left and again, she remains clueless to the sound.

Only when a hand is placed on her shoulder does Alia tear her eyes away from the male, whose blonde hair is spoiled by chunks of dried blood. The touch flips a switch inside of her soul and the previously growing pressure against her chest slams into her at full force. She releases the female and screams, clutching her chest with clawed hands.

Tears flow profusely down her face as she wails for her parents.

Her parents who were alive before she left for a run.

"How has Alia been?" Christian asks. "I've been meaning to visit her."

"Oh!" Liam's eyebrows raise and his lips part, "well... um."

Christian leans forward with narrowed eyes, "has something happened?"

"I- uh, she—" Liam suddenly bows his head with his arms flat against his sides, "I tried to stop her, Gamma."

Valen's gaze snaps to Liam, who stills at the sight of his white stare. He can hear the male's heart beginning to increase its pace, beating roughly within the confines of a ribcage.

Christian stands up from his chair, "out with it, Liam." He presses his palms against the desk and leans forward. "Has she killed someone?"

"No!" Liam blurts, eyes widening at the accusation.

Christians hard gaze is unwavering.

"She just... she just knocked someone out."

A corner of Valen's lips raises slightly and he reverts his attention to the walking figures below. Their numbers have begun to dwindle with every passing moment, influenced by the descent of the sun.

Christian drops his head and sighs. After a few seconds, he asks, "who was it?"

Liam straightens and answers without hesitation. "Andriel."

Frowning when his Gamma doesn't respond, Liam quickly feels as though his actions have upset the influential male and his bottom lip begins to quiver. A stinging sensation floods his eyes and he closes them to prevent unwanted tears from slipping through.

Christian begins to laugh.

The sound has Liam's eyes flashing open and he quickly wipes the moisture away with the back of his hand. His jaw drops slightly at the sight of his Gamma shaking his head and walking towards him.

"Gods, Liam." Christian chuckles and places a hand onto one of Liam's shoulders, leading him towards the office door. "You almost had me worried for a second."

"Oh," Liam responds, releasing an awkward laugh. His eyes remain hesitant as his Gamma opens the door.

"I expect to see you here again at midnight."

Liam nods, his mind still trying to comprehend what just happened, "of course, Gamma." And with that, he makes his way towards the only elevator on the floor.

He slaps a palm over his forehead and drags it down his face after he hears to office door close behind him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.3K 2.8K 62
(Reducing to an excerpt 4/30) Aliya Matsuoka meets "him" in her dreams - a regal yet unexpectedly shy man. But strangest of all, he always meets her...
3M 135K 44
****COMPLETED**** "You're driving me crazy," I growled, dropping my hand down to her waist then around to her lower back, sucking her earlobe into my...
1.5M 25.8K 24
[COMPLETED] As I was beginning to relax, a new terror coursed through my body at his next word, "Strip." "Ex-excuse me?" I blurted out. I wasn't get...
2.1K 156 6
Witches. Most were eradicated during The Big Cleansing years ago. Those alive now hide amongst the monsters of the world: vampires, werewolves, and t...