Honesty - Criminal Minds || S...

Af bekah-x

{Book One} COMPLETED - SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12 The BAU were not ready for the arrival of Aaron's Hotchne... Mere

POV Titles.
Prologue
1. Agent Brenda Melanie Joyner
2. Team
3. Digging The Dirt
4. Skin
5. Swallowing Your Pride
6. CH3CH2OH
7. Carpe Diem
8. Out With It
9. What You Waiting For?
10. Competition
11. Act Normal
12. Blame It On Me
13. The Winning Move
14. Life Support
15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
16. We're the FBI
17. What Makes You Beautiful
19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman
20. From Past To Present
21. What's Meant To Be Will Be
22. Gratitude
23. The Gift of Love
24. Proximity
25. Inseparable
26. Reconciliation
27. What's Mine Is Yours
28. It Can Happen To Anyone
29. Overview
30. Reach Out Your Hand
31. This Time It's Personal
32. It's All About The Impact
33. Take Me To Church
34. It's Better Late Than Never
35. Sheer Perfection
36. Feel My Pain
37. Small Bump
38. Hold Me Closer
39. What Is The Right Thing?
40. Arrivederci

18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday

13.3K 234 160
Af bekah-x

"Never give up on someone with a mental illness. When "I" is replaced by "We", illness becomes wellness." ~ Shannon L. Alder

The Daughter

I got off the plane the following day with a stomach full of butterflies. I was so excited to see Spencer; but in the same moment I was nervous.

I was meeting his mum today and I didn't want to disappoint in any way.

Spencer was an incredibly talented young man; like he had been his whole life.

Who was I? A girl covered in tattoos with dyed hair and a troublesome past who just-so-happened to be the daughter of the leader of the BAU?

I didn't want to disappoint Diana by not living up to the expectations she may have for her son's partner, but I also didn't want to disappoint Spencer by not living up to the expectations he may have for me in situations like these.

Truth was; I had absolutely no experience when it came to things like this.

I was only good with catching and interrogating the bad guys or comforting the families.

I wasn't good with meeting new people and trying to get them to like me. Especially if I had to impress those people.

I pushed through passport control and nervously walked to baggage claim where I only had to wait a few moments before I spied my case on the conveyor belt.

I pushed through the crowd and yanked my case off the belt, pulling it along behind me as I made my way to the main concourse where Spencer and I had agreed to meet.

He claimed he didn't like the idea of me travelling around a place I'd never been before; and I wasn't one for objecting when it came to Spencer.

I cast my eyes over the crowd of people waiting for their loved ones, and spotted Spencer wrapped up in his black duffle and purple scarf, towering above the heads.

I grinned and waved at him excitedly, my smile completely uncontrollable as a grin splashed across his face and he pushed through the people, making his way towards me.

"Spence!" I grinned, throwing my arms around him as we approached each other.

"Melly," He sighed into my hair, hugging me tightly. "Safe flight?" He asked. I nodded my head and pulled back from him with a smile,

"Merry Christmas." I pushed my lips against his briefly, pulling back a second later to find him grinning like a maniac down to me.

"Merry Christmas," He echoed. "I'm so glad you're here." He said, taking my case and my hand and leading me for the exit.

"Me too," I admitted. "I won't lie," I explained. "But I'm kinda nervous." Spencer sniggered and nodded his head.

"Me too." He said.
"Really?" I asked, looking up at him as we left the airport.

"Yeah," He said quietly. "I mean, this is my hometown," He shrugged, gesturing to the massive car park we now stood in. "I mean is it going to live up to your expectations?" He mumbled, chewing his lip.

I arched an eyebrow and positioned myself directly in front of him, craning my neck back to look up at his face properly.

"Spence," I said, covering his cheek with my gloved hand. "It already lives up to all of my expectations and more because you're here." I said and a grin melted the frown lines from his face, his entire expression lightening into one of miraculous beauty.

I stretched up on my toes and pressed my lips to his, planning on pulling back from the brief peck.

But before I could he pushed his hand to the small of my back, making me stumble closer to him, cramming our chests together.

I grabbed the lapels on his coat to right my balance and he smirked against my lips, our mouths opening into the kiss and his tongue gliding past my teeth.

I pulled back breathlessly and giggled under my breath.

"Sorry," He mumbled breathlessly with our mouths centimetres apart. "I've just been wanting to do that since I last saw you." He explained and I blushed furiously.

"Spence," I mumbled, catching my breath. "Don't ever apologise for kissing me."

The Doctor

Her words ran a fever on my cheeks and I smirked, chewing on my lip as I looked up from her face to cast my eyes across the parking lot.

"I'm driving." I announced, taking her hand again and dragging her case behind us as I led the way.

"Oh you are?" She asked in a surprised tone and I nodded my head.
"Don't sound too surprised," I chuckled. "I normally bring my car to Vegas." I explained and she looked up at me with a parted mouth.

"You drive?" I chuckled and nodded my head bashfully.
"I just tend to use the metro back in Virginia," I explained. "It takes less time and is far easier than driving during peak times."
"You're not kidding," She agreed as I approached my car. "Oh my gosh," I looked down at her expression as I popped the trunk. "Your car?" She asked and I nodded my head sheepishly, sliding her case into the trunk.

"Wow..." I blushed deeply and chuckled.
"Is that a positive reaction or...?"
"Why didn't you tell me you owned a Volvo Amazon P130?!" She gushed, looking up at me with wide eyes and a parted mouth; her entire expression making me want to kiss her again.

"I didn't think it was important..." I admitted in a small voice, closing the trunk.

"Spencer..." She said in a quiet voice, walking around the car in awe, shaking her head and running her gloved hand along the body of the car as she walked.

"This is one of the most incredible cars, like, ever," She said. "I mean not that I know much about cars but... Wow." She shook her head and I chuckled.

"So this beats an SUV?" I asked and she scoffed.
"Duh," She stood staring at the car, shaking her head in awe before turning to me with a massive grin. "You are literally perfect." She laughed, leaping at me and throwing her arms around me in a massive hug, cramming our mouths together.

I laughed into the kiss; completely taken by the surprise to put it lightly.

She pulled back laughing and I smiled, pushing the hair out of her eyes as it fell in front of her face.

"So you're finally getting to drive me for a change then huh?" She smiled and I nodded my head, turning to the car and unlocking the door.

"After you ma'am."

*

"Is this okay?" I asked Mel as we removed our coats in the hotel room.
"Of course." She said, turning to me from the window with a massive grin.

"It's lovely." She said and I smiled.
"I'm glad you like it." I sighed in relief.
"Spence," She chuckled. "I'd love it if we were in a budget motel with paper-thin walls and a creaky single bed." She laughed.

"Well if you would've said that sooner I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble." I joked and she threw her hat at me.

I knew it wasn't appropriate in that moment to explain that I'd sold the family home to pay for mom's care with the sanitarium all of those years ago.

I wanted this time to be happy, not filled with sadness and reflecting on unhappy memories. Christmas was filled with them enough without me verbalising them.

The Daughter

"Are you tired? D'you want to sleep before we do anything?" Spencer asked me and I rolled onto my side to see him better on the bed.

"I'm okay," I admitted before a yawn interrupted anything else I'd been about to say. Spencer looked at me with an arched eyebrow and I laughed bashfully.

"Well maybe a little tired... Did you have something planned?" I asked and he sighed, laying down on the bed beside me and folding his arms behind his head.

"Well I thought we could go hill climbing later and finish the day with a session of parachuting." I playfully hit his chest and he laughed, bringing his arms back down and lacing our hands together as he turned to face me on his side.

"Well I'm going to see my mom this afternoon, probably in a couple hours. And I..." He looked sheepishly away from me, chewing his lip. I narrowed my eyes questioningly and smiled, gently pushing his shoulder.

"And...?" I prodded and he smiled.
"I booked us a table for dinner tonight." He admitted and I cooed.
"Aw Spence!" I scooted closer to him on the bed and curled down, wrapping my arm around his waist. "That sounds perfect." I smiled.

"I've secretly been dreaming of another nap with you ever since the last one..." He admitted sheepishly and I smirked,
"Me too." I admitted and he smiled, pulling me against his chest.
"I'm not even tired, but I will revel in holding you whilst you sleep." He said peacefully into my hair.

"Aw Spence, who knew you were such a romantic!"

The Doctor

I wasn't tired, but I still laid with Melanie as she slept, allowing her to wrap her strong arms around me and flatten herself on my chest, sleeping soundly. I laid on my back with her curled on my chest, me playing with her hair absentmindedly, daydreaming up at the ceiling.

"No..." The mumble slid from her lips just-about-audible and I turned my head down to hers, looking at her thoughtfully. She didn't sleep-talk all the time, only sometimes.

"No ssh he'll hear you," She mumbled in a whine and I frowned. She rolled off my chest onto her back and I turned on my side to see her properly, propping myself up on my elbow and watching her face contort into a frown.

"Don't say that..." She mumbled. I observed her as she slept, mumbling words under her breath I couldn't entirely hear. At first I was too busy watching her face that I didn't see the necklace she was wearing.

I grinned as I noticed it and gently reached forward, carefully plucking the chain from under the neck of her jumper. I pulled the chain out from the clothing and held the locket in my palm, stroking the carving on the back before popping it open and grinning at the picture. I loved it.

"Spencer..." She whined and I dropped the necklace, jumping in surprise. She stirred slightly at the impact and I bit my lip, cursing myself for doing so.

A smile spread across her face and I grinned at the sight of it. She sighed and curled onto her side, a thin slice of air between us. "...love you." She mumbled under her breath and I pulled back to look at her sleeping expression.

Had... did she just... Had I heard that right...?

The Daughter

"Melly..." Spencer's voice gently awoke me, softer than a feather touch, lighter than a smooth peck.

I moaned and sighed, reaching up to rub my eye before his hand caught mine. I blinked my eyes open to see his smiling face staring back at me.

"Don't want to spoil your makeup, do we?" He whispered and I smiled, reaching forward and hugging him sleepily. "How did you sleep?" He asked and I nodded my head.

"Perfectly." I admitted.
"I see you still haven't taken my advice of warm milk." I froze in his arms. He'd written that note to me months ago; and yet he still remembered?

"What was I talking about this time?" I laughed bashfully, pulling back from the hug and sitting up properly.

"N-nothing." Spencer lied and I frowned, looking over my shoulder at him as he sat up on the bed too with his hair even more ruffled than normal. I smiled at the sight of it and reached up, pulling my fingers through it.

"My mom doesn't like it long." He explained and I half-gasped.
"No," I said. "You can't cut it." Spencer laughed and reached up to ruffle the thick waves.

"She has a point, it is getting a little out of control."
"No, please don't." I pouted, climbing off the bed while shaking my head.

Spencer chuckled and watched as I yanked my suitcase onto the bed and retrieved my wash bag.

*

"Ah Spencer, back again?" My heart was thudding in my chest nervously as we entered the sanitarium and were met by a tall dark-haired girl roughly our own age clothed in rose pink scrubs. She was carrying a clipboard and was smiling at Spencer with a bright expression.

"Uh yes," Spencer said, blushing slightly as he looked down at me. I peered up at him with a smile and squeezed his gloved hand.

"Well your mother's in her room, she's looking forward to seeing you today," The girl explained. "She hasn't stopped talking about it since last night," I looked up at Spencer to find him looking at the girl with narrowed eyes.

"I'm guessing you're Melanie?" I looked back at the girl to find her looking at me with a dull expression.

"Yes I am." I smiled broadly. The girl averted her eyes back to Spencer and said,
"Your mother's mentioned her too." I smirked and looked down at my feet to hide my snigger as I put two and two together.

"Uh, thank you Lynette." Spencer then ushered me towards the corridor on our right and I happily obliged.

"Who's that?" I asked as we headed down the corridor.
"That's one of the charge nurses." Spencer explained in a gruff voice.
"She likes you." I told him matter-of-factly and he scoffed.

"I don't think so."
"No," I shook my head. "Because you know so." I joked, reaching up and ruffling his hair.

"Mel." He chuckled, leading me along a corridor branching out to our left. I counted three doors down when Spencer stopped and turned to me.

"You're certain about this?" He asked in a quiet voice.
"Of course I'm certain, Spence. I can't wait to meet her." I admitted truthfully, despite the nerves rolling in my stomach.

Spencer nodded his head, his face pale. I smiled and reached forward, pressing a light kiss to his lips before the door beside us swung open and we leapt apart; my heart thudding and my cheeks burning.

"Spencer!" A tall thin lady wearing a light blue house-coat to her ankles and lemon pyjamas was stood in the doorway. She had Spencer's eyes and cheekbones and light platinum blonde almost-white ruffled hair; sticking in all directions much like Spencer's usually was when it was short.

She was grinning at Spencer and then she turned her eyes on me.

"You must be Melanie!" She gushed, grabbing my hand and dragging me inside the bright room painted a pale-pink. She dragged me to the table in front of the window where a stack of cards and a chess board were sat. I gulped. I didn't know how to play either.

"Sit down, sit down, I can't wait to hear all about you!" She gushed, helping me off with my coat.

"Mom..." Spencer smiled, closing the door behind him and entering the room far slower than us.

"Sorry Spencer," Diana laughed, clapping her hands and grinning up at him with a twinkle in her eyes. "I'm just so happy to see you both together." She explained, reaching up to take Spencer's face in both of her hands. I placed my hat and gloves on the window ledge next to me and hung my coat on the back of my chair.

"I know mom," Spencer nodded, squinting and slightly ruffling his nose up as Diana pinched his cheeks and laughed, pulling back with a happy sigh. "Mel," Spencer turned to me as I stood a few feet away from them, beside the table.

"This is my mom, Diana, mom this is Melanie." Diana took both of my hands in hers, looking down slightly into my eyes, observing my face carefully.

"Your girlfriend." She said the words Spencer didn't and I smiled, casting my eyes down to the ground bashfully before back up to Spencer beside me, blushing.

"Y-yes mom." Spencer stuttered bashfully, shrugging out of his coat.

"Yes," Diana nodded, seeing something in me that I certainly didn't. "Yes you're right Spencer," She nodded up at him happily and Spencer looked at her, clearly intrigued and elated, his expression a mask of 'really?'.

"Yes," She nodded in reply, turning back to me with a massive smile. "Yes you're definitely right," She nodded and laughed, clapping her hands before reaching out and stroking my cheek delicately.

"You are definitely Aaron Hotchner's daughter." She said matter-of-factly in a darker voice and I laughed, is that what that had been about?

*

After the formalities were over with, I watched Spencer and Diana play chess at the table; completely in awe of each movement as Diana talked me through Spencer's childhood filled with chess games and intellectual reading.

When she asked me what novels I'd read as a child, Spencer quickly explained I had no time for reading because I had to look after my grandparents.

Diana looked at Spencer as though he was silly; he'd had to look after her and yet that hadn't stopped him from reading. But that was Spencer's way of escaping. My way of escaping was intense sports or tattooing. Or drinking.

Thankfully I'd covered all of my tattoos today with a long-sleeved woollen jumper.

Diana had just won the game when there was a light knock on the door and the nurse - Lynette - from before, entered with a tray with a small clear tub on the surface filled with a few pills and a glass of water on the side.

"Medication time Diana." She said with a brief glance and a grin at Spencer. I looked over at him; all of our laughter fizzling out as Spencer blushed deeply down at the table in front of him.

Diana effortlessly took all of the tablets at once, finished the cup of water and then turned to me almost instantly afterward.

"So tell me Melanie sweetheart, what did my wonderful son buy you for Christmas?" I smiled and leaned forward, showing her my necklace which I had only removed to shower.

"I love it." I explained as Lynette filled something out on her clipboard and passed it to Spencer.

"Oh wow, how beautiful," Diana admired the necklace and the picture. "Extraordinary taste Spencer," She smiled and Spencer smiled bashfully in return, signing the form and passing the clipboard back to Lynette. "So tell me what did you give Spencer for Christmas? Or are you saving that for tonight?" She joked and I laughed bashfully.

"Mom!" Spencer gushed bashfully, glancing towards the door as Lynette slid out and closed the door behind her.

"What? She has to learn you're no longer available and she missed her chance," Diana said humorously and I chuckled under my breath. Diana turned to me and winked slyly as Spencer scoffed. "She likes you Spencer." Diana added matter-of-factly and I nodded my head.

"I told you so." I said to him and he groaned, throwing his hands in the air.
"What does it matter?" I asked. "She knows I'm with you now." Diana nodded her head and reached over, covering my hand with her own.
"She does now anyway." She joked.

The Doctor

"See you tomorrow Diana." Melanie said as we left my mother's room.
"Looking forward to it Melanie. Have a lovely evening!" I pulled the door behind us and released a heavy sigh.
"Your mum is amazing." Melanie grinned, looping her arm through mine.

"Today was a good day," I nodded matter-of-factly, relief flowing through me. "I hope tomorrow is too." Melanie smiled up at me and turned my face to hers, pressing a light kiss to my lips.

"It will be," She told me in a promising voice. "I'm here." She shrugged as though that made everything perfect. And in my eyes; it certainly did.

I couldn't believe how perfectly the day had gone. Even yesterday - Christmas Day - my mother had taken a bad turn which had ended in me wearing her tablets and her water. But we were over that; and almost as soon as it happened she forgot about it anyway.

I just wished I could do that too sometimes.

"Spence?" Mel's voice broke through my thoughts and I turned to her in the car with wide eyes, knowing that hadn't been the first time she'd tried to catch my attention.

"You okay?" She asked, reaching across the console to take my hand in her own. I nodded my head and cleared my throat; trying to clear my thoughts too. "Good," She said, clearly unconvinced. "Maybe now you can start the car." She laughed and I blinked rapidly, realising that we were still sat in the parking lot outside the sanitarium.

Laughing bashfully I let go of her hand and turned the key in the ignition, peeling out of the parking space and away from the sanitarium.

*

"And you're sure it isn't overly formal?" Melanie called from the bathroom and I groaned at my reflection; losing all patience with my tie.

"I swear it isn't." I promised and Mel stuck her head around the bathroom door.
"Aw," She cooed. "Oh Spence you look amazing!" She gushed, stepping out of the bathroom and taking my entire breath away.

She was wearing a midi skirt which was a deep wine shade and made of chiffon material. Tucked into the skirt was a long-sleeved black velvet top. She was still barefoot and her hair was down tonight, the sides pinned back from her beautiful face which bore a little more makeup than usual.

My mouth was still open by the time she'd stopped in front of me, giggling at my expression.

"Careful Doctor, with the amount of flies you're catching, you won't need any dinner," I smiled broadly at her and held her waist as her hands reached for my tie, sighing and sticking her tongue out of her lips slightly as she tied it for me.

"There you go," She grinned, patting the red tie against my red and white shirt, looking up at me with a grin. "Perfect." She told me matter-of-factly and stretched up, pressing her lips to mine.

"You always steal my lines." I whined and she laughed, spinning away from me; her skirt billowing out slightly as she done so.

I watched her retreat back inside the bathroom in complete awe; overwhelmed by how beautiful she looked.

The Daughter

I ducked back inside the bathroom, catching my breath as I done so. The cliche 'scrub up well' was completely and utterly relevant when it came to Spencer Reid. I mean, he looked amazing all of the time, regardless to the occasion, but tonight he looked even more amazing, and my heart was having a hard time handling that.

I looked into the mirror, seeing my reflection and wondering why of all the women Spencer could've gone for; he'd settled with me.

Where we my brains and beauty?

"Ready?" I asked, stepping out of the bathroom with a heavy heart.

"Ready." Spencer nodded, pulling on his suit jacket. I smiled warmly at him, observing the dull black check to his suit and the dull red stripes on his white shirt. He looked incredible. His hair was getting so long now, it brushed his shoulders in large waves. He was such a beautiful person it still took my breath away.

He reached for my black duffle shawl on the bed and wrapped it around my shoulders, passing me my bag and smiling down at me. I held a finger up to him and walked around to the other side of the bed, finding my heels there and sliding into them. Spencer frowned and peered around the bed, chuckling as he took my hand and observed me as I walked back to him.

"Cinderella is not Cinderella without her heels." I shrugged and he chuckled.
"Oh you are far better than Cinderella," He said matter-of-factly. "You're more Kate Windsor than Cinderella." I grinned from ear-to-ear, my eyebrows raising and my mouth parting to show my complete joy at his words.

"Really?" I gasped and he chuckled bashfully, nodding his head.
"That makes you Prince William." I stated and he gasped, reaching up to touch the top of his head before sighing in relief.

"Thank God I'm not balding."

I laughed like a school girl and Spencer joined in too as we left the room.

"Actually," He said. "That reminds me of a case." I only had to look up at him slightly now due to my small heels and I smiled at this fact as we made our way down the corridor to the elevator.

"Bald patches or Prince William?" I joked and he laughed.

"Neither, I mean the whole Cinderella thing." He said and I frowned.
"Okay now you've lost me completely."

"Well, a while ago, maybe a month or two before you joined the BAU, we got a case regarding men who were being killed with a stiletto heel and left with either a cell phone or a watch shoved into their mouths post-mortem. We couldn't find anything in common with them at first which evidently made it difficult to profile our Unsub as at the time we weren't entirely certain what the weapon had been.

"Later we discovered that the men had been stabbed with a stiletto, which is when we found out the Unsub was a young woman who believed she was Cinderella. She was taking clothes from the Laundrette she worked in and going out 'dancing' in search for her 'Prince'.

"When the men didn't turn out to be the Prince Charming she was looking for, she killed them. With her last victim she left behind a shoe, and the only way we were able to make an arrest was if I portrayed myself as Prince Charming."

I was listening in complete awe, staring up at him with my mouth slightly parted, my eyes wide as I held onto his every word. There was something about the way Spencer spoke. When he told a story; I never wanted it to end. As long as he kept talking I could listen forever.

"And how did you do that?" I asked as we left the elevator and headed for the doors.

"Well," He shifted a little awkwardly, tightening his grip on my arm as they were looped together. "I took her shoe from evidence, and I talked her down from attacking one of her coworkers. I just pretended to be the Prince she was looking for."

"Oh I bet you didn't need to act all that hard, Doc." I joked and he scoffed, blushing.
"I guess I was just fortunate enough to be able to act like she was the Cinderella I was looking for." He shrugged and I smiled up at him. What a sweetheart.

"You had cover though, right?" I asked defensively and he laughed, nodding his head.
"JJ was stood behind a nearby tree just begging for an excuse to put a bullet in the girl." He chuckled.

"Sounds about right to me. I mean stilettos? Really? Ow." We both laughed as we climbed into Spencer's - totally wonderful - car.

The Doctor

"I think now is probably a good a time as any." Melanie laughed after our plates had been cleared away after our starters. She reached under the table and produced a small black gift-bag with a gold tag on the front.

"Merry Christmas love." She said and I smiled at that cute little nickname rolling off her English tongue.

"Mel... Really..." I shook my head but she merely arched an eyebrow.
"It's nowhere near as personally perfect as your gift," She sighed, her fingers sweeping the Fob Watch Locket.

"But it's certainly something I thought you'd like." I pulled a small gold box out from the bag and gave a small smile as I removed the lid.

"Aw Mel, it's exactly what I've been needing!" I exclaimed truthfully as my eyes fell on a beautiful Italian leather and silver watch. It had three wheels; one for the time, one for the date and one for the day. I'd been needing a new watch for a long time now, and this one was perfect.

She grinned and watched as I replaced the lid and placed the box on the side, reaching for the larger, flatter gold package.

This time, when I removed the paper I was a little surprised by what I found.

"So uh... That's a personal CD and Cassette player... I know you're always complaining about mod cons and Morgan's iPod, and I know you've been looking for one of these for a while so... I thought you'd like this..."

She shrugged as though it was nothing but I could barely lift my eyes from the player. It was such a personally beautiful present; one I could never have imagined receiving. It was clear a lot of time, thought and effort had gone into this present.

"Melly I don't know what to say..." I admitted, looking up to her face with tearful eyes.

"I took the liberty of making you a couple tapes too..." She admitted with a blush. "The cassette has Bach, Mozart and a little Debussy, and the CD has audio-tapes of Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and The Importance of Being Earnest... I'm not sure what ones are your ultimate favourites, so I just put on the ones we'd talked about." My mouth was parted open in surprise and I looked up at her with a broad smile.

"There's a set of headphones in there too," She laughed. "That's where the paper cuts came from." She giggled and I replaced everything in the giftbag, reaching across the table to take her face in my hands and kiss her passionately.

"It's the most magical present ever, thank you so much Melly." I admitted as I pulled back and admired her blush.

"The pleasure's mine." She said in a detached tone and I smiled broadly; completely overwhelmed.

*

"Well if this is what normal Christmas is like, I really do wish it would be Christmas everyday." Melanie said to me as we walked along the road, hand-in-hand. I chuckled and smiled down at her; dinner had been perfect.

We'd spent it talking over comical cases I'd worked before she'd joined the team, and she told me of the types of cases she'd worked before transferring to the BAU. Now we were casually walking back along the road toward the parking lot we'd parked in behind the shopping mall.

"Me too..." I sighed in longing, squeezing her hand a little tighter.

"Do you do this every year?" She asked curiously. "Come to Vegas I mean, not take doting girls out to dinner." She laughed and I blushed heavily, smirking.

"Actually yes," I admitted. "Obviously not the dinner part but yes, I come home every year. I like to spend Christmas Day with my mom, seeing as she's really the only family I have, and vice versa." I nodded and Melanie frowned up at me.

"I'm sorry to hear that..." She admitted sadly and I smiled.
"It's really not a bad thing... I mean what about you? How do you normally spend Christmas?" She scoffed and laughed.

"Uh..." She rubbed at her forehead and completely avoided my eyes. "Let's just say Christmas has always been quiet for me..." I looked down at her but she completely avoided my eyes and instead cast hers around the square we'd found ourselves walking through.

She started laughing and lifted a gloved hand, pointing over towards the ice rink where plenty of people were falling over and skating to the Christmas songs blasting through the large speakers by the doughnut stand.

"Ice skating!" She laughed. "Have you ever been?" She asked me and I scoffed, my previous question totally forgotten about.

"Me?" I scoffed. "Ice skating? Er, no, no I haven't." She squealed and tugged on the sleeve of my coat.
"We should totally do it!" She suggested and I halted in my tracks.

"What now?" I gasped and she nodded enthusiastically. "Melly..." I shook my head. "We're not even slightly prepared for ice skating," I said. "I mean you're wearing a skirt!" I exclaimed and she laughed at my high pitch. "You'll seriously freeze to death on the ice!" I exclaimed.

"Oh c'mon Doc, don't tell me you're getting cold feet!" She laughed hysterically at her joke and I laughed too, shaking my head in awe.

"Melly I'm not going ice skating with you dressed like that, it's too cold, you'll freeze," She pouted, pulling on the lapels of my coat and pulling me closer.

"I tell you what," I said, taking her hands off my lapels and holding them in mine between us. "I promise I'll bring you skating tomorrow," I promised, looking deep into her eyes. "But only if you drop it tonight and wear warm clothes." She squealed in excitement and threw her arms around my neck.

"Deal!" She exclaimed and I chuckled, rubbing her back as she pulled back and kissed my cheek.

"That's something I can cross off my bucket list." She said matter-of-factly as we headed to the parking lot.

"What?" I enquired. "Ice skating?" She nodded her head. "You've never been either?" I asked in a surprised tone and she shook her head. "That surprises me." I admitted, unlocking the car and opening her door for her.

"How so?" She asked as I climbed into my seat.
"I don't know," I admitted. "I can just imagine you ice skating every Christmas," I explained. "Don't ask me why, it just strikes me as the type of thing you'd do." I shrugged as I started the engine.

The Daughter

We were literally in the hotel room five minutes when my phone began ringing in an odd tone which only meant one thing. I shrugged out of my shawl and sat down at the dresser, answering the FaceTime and seeing Jack's bright face sat on Beth's lap.

"MEL!" He squealed and I laughed, waving my hand.
"Hey there little guy, how are you?" I asked.
"I'm good, where's Spencer?" He asked excitedly.

"Right here," Spencer said, crouching down beside me and waving at my phone camera. "Hey Jack."

"Spencer!" Jack squealed. "Where's your mom?" Jack asked with a confused frown.
"Oh we're in our hotel room right now little guy, Spencer's mom's asleep in her room." I explained without telling him anything too detailed.

"Oh," He nodded his head. "Are you having fun?" He asked and I laughed at his grown question.
"I am." I nodded my head, glancing at Spencer to see him nodding his head enthusiastically admitting too,
"We are."

"You look real pretty Mel." Jack admitted and I cooed.
"Why thank you Captain," I smiled and blew him a kiss. "How's your day been?" I asked.

"It's been fun," He nodded his head. "Dad and Beth and me played pirates!" He exclaimed. "But they're not as good at it as you guys are." He pouted and we both laughed.

"That's because there can only be one Will Turner." Spencer said, straightening his tie in mock pride. Jack and I laughed and he nodded his head.

"I tried to tell that to Dad but he didn't listen," Jack rolled his eyes and Beth said something to him. "I've got to go brush my teeth now," He said sadly. "I miss you Mel." He said, waving his hand.

"Aw buddy, I miss you too," I'd only seen him that morning. "But I'll be home in a couple sleeps, okay? You remember to save my special dress for me, don't let Beth steal it!" I joked, knowing that my makeshift sheet-and-curtain dress was stored in Jack's dressing-up-trunk.

"I won't, it's hidden someplace safe," He chuckled and I laughed at his mischievous expression. "Night night." He said, waving at us and blowing a kiss.

"Nanight little guy." Spencer and I said simultaneously.

"Hey guys," Beth grinned like a maniac, waving at the camera as soon as Jack was out of shot. "You both look lovely!" She commented and Spencer and I shared an equally bashful expression.

"Thanks, Spencer took me to dinner." I explained and Beth cooed.
"That sounds wonderful, did you have fun?" She asked and we nodded our heads. "Aaron, come see Mel and Spence, look at how beautiful they look." Beth said, looking at something off-camera and gesturing to the phone.

A moment later Aaron came into shot, sitting down next to Beth on the sofa with an arm around her shoulder.

"Hi guys," He grinned, waving at us. "You do look lovely." He remarked and I blushed.
"Thank you." I admitted.
"How's your mom Spencer?" He enquired, sipping from his 'Father' Darth Vader mug.

"She's doing great thank you," Spencer said, clearing his throat to say so. "She was really good today with Mel," He explained. "She was so excited to meet her which I think really helped." I smiled and patted his back, happy to have been a help rather than a hindrance.

"That's excellent," Aaron nodded enthusiastically. "I'm glad it went well." He admitted.

"I'm so pleased for you both," Beth grinned. "See I told you there was nothing to worry about Mel!" Beth exclaimed and I bit my tongue, completely freezing and widening my eyes at Beth.

But of course she couldn't see this gesture through the small camera.

"She was so worried about meeting your mom, but I told her there was nothing to worry about." Spencer looked at me with questioning eyes and I cast my sight down to my lap, clearing my throat awkwardly as my cheeks blushed furiously.

There was a silent pause and awkwardly Aaron cleared his throat.

"Well we better let you get on with things, it was great talking to you both, you really do look wonderful." He said. I nodded my head and smiled at him in thanks.

"See you in a few days." Beth said in a quiet voice.
"Good night." I waved along with a dazed Spencer before ending the FaceTime.

I put my phone down and got up from the dresser, chewing on my lip as I let my hair down and pulled it back in a bobble.

"Melly..." Spencer started. "What Beth said... Was she right?" He asked in a quiet voice. I sighed emphatically; my shoulders slumping as I kept my back to him and pinched my nose.

Why did Beth have to say that?

Spencer had already asked a tricky question earlier tonight; I was hoping I wouldn't have to share any revelations with him this evening but it was looking like I'd need to make at least one confession now thanks to Beth.

The Doctor

I approached her slowly and gently placed a hand on her shoulder. She turned slowly, looking up at me with tearful eyes.

"I'm sorry," She apologised, shaking her head and sniffing. "Beth shouldn't have said that..." She sighed and I shook my head this time. Whatever Beth had meant; was clearly bothering Melanie enough to have her emotional.

I'd never seen her look so distraught. Not even when we were going to meet my mom that morning.

"Not at all," I said in a thick voice. "What's wrong?" I enquired and she sighed, shaking her head and looking away.

"I was just freaking out about meeting your mum," She admitted in a heavy voice. "I didn't know if I was going to live up to expectations, and I was panicking. I know how incredible you are, and I know how incredible you've always been... I didn't want your mum to meet me and think of how much better you can do." She shrugged and I frowned at her wording.

Did she really feel this way?

Or was she worried of my mom feeling this way?

Or did she think other people thought this way?

Damn it Spencer, trust her words...

"Mel..." I shook my head. "You don't have to worry about that," I told her sternly. "My mom loves you." I scoffed. She shook her head emphatically in reply and sighed, looking up at me with glazed eyes.

"Spencer," She began. "You are the most beautiful, most handsome, most intelligent, bravest, funniest, strongest man I've ever met," I scoffed - interrupting her and she frowned, cocking an eyebrow.

"So you don't have muscles, therefore you're not the strongest?" She proposed. "Bullshit," She swore.

"You're the strongest man I know because every year you come back to Vegas and visit your sick mom knowing you have to leave her again and go back to saving other lives - that takes a hell of a lot of strength, strength I probably wouldn't have, strength Morgan certainly wouldn't have.

"You're the strongest man I know because you had to do the one thing every son fears most in this world. You done the only thing you could do for your mother in order to save and protect her. Less of a man wouldn't have been able to do a fraction of what you've done.

"Those things make you brave too. The fact that you don't let them win - the people who scoff and question your true intelligence. You face them head-on and you don't let them knock you down or hold you back - you power through and you exceed any and every standard.

"Not everyone laughs at your jokes - because not everyone has the intelligence to understand them. It takes an intelligent level of humour to appreciate your jokes - and even though I don't have it, I'm amused by your own enjoyment, and that makes you funny beyond any comedian.

"And as for your insanely good looks," She sighed, running her hand down my cheek before her hand fell as she laced our fingers together again. "Nobody I've ever met has beauty quite like yours," She told me.

"Your intelligence is attractive, granted, but you're tall, and you have the quirkiest, brightest style for a guy that is so admirable and attractive. Your cheekbones are to die for... And your eyes...

"Your eyes... They light up and sparkle like fireworks on a blanket of sky every time you smile. And when you smile your whole face changes into something even more beautiful than before. I could watch you smile all day, looking into those amazing eyes, and I'd never get bored.

"You Spencer Reid, are my most perfect human being, and I cannot believe that out of all the women you could have chosen you chose me. You brought me home to Vegas to meet your mum. And I'm still pinching myself just now...

"You are wonderful Spencer Reid. And I... I..." She looked at me and sighed emphatically, dropping her head. "I am extremely lucky." She said, giving a short laugh. She stretched up and wiped the tears from under my eyes and I laughed, sniffing as she reached up to her own face and wiped her own cheeks.

"So to answer your question, nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong at all Spence," She shook her head. "I was just a little worried and anxious about meeting your mum, because I know the type of girl - the type of woman you deserve to bring home." She nodded her head emotionally, the words she didn't speak hanging between us unspoken in the air.

I watched her back as she took a pile of clothes from the bottom of the bed and headed into the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

The Daughter

I threw cold water on my face after removing my makeup; holding my breath until I felt dizzy before cupping water and sipping it from my hands.

This is how I calmed down; this is how I'd been doing it since I was a child. It was my defence mechanism; my reminder of how to live, of how to survive.

Stupid, I know, especially because I was only freaking out because I'd admitted my true worth to my boyfriend.

Wow how pathetic of me.

I smiled at my stupidity and shook my head, patting my face dry before pulling on my pyjamas. I'd left Spencer's hoodie lying on the bed; hoping he'd wear it again soon so that when we returned to Virginia it'd be his again.

I replaced my formal clothes in the case I'd brought in here earlier and zipped it back up, unlocking the door and wheeling it out, parking it by the front door with a sheepish smile to Spencer.

"Come sit down," He smiled from the bed where he laid back propped up on the pillows. He patted the mattress next to him and chuckled as he noticed my apprehension. "C'mon I want to talk to you." He admitted. I smiled as I noticed he was wearing his hoodie again.

I climbed onto the bed and curled next to him with his arm around me, closing my eyes and breathing in his wonderful scent; this is what I'd waited days for; to be curled in Spencer's arms sleepily again.

"Melly," Spencer began after a long and silent pause. "My mom loves you," He chuckled. "She really does. She wouldn't think for a second that I could do any better than you - mostly because I can't," He scoffed, making me frown against his side. "You are the best there is." I shook my head emotionally.

"Melanie," He said seriously, tilting my chin up to look at him. "You are an extremely beautiful, insanely talented, wonderful, intelligent woman. Every time we're together I question what you see in me. I wonder why you're wasting your time with a guy like me - who has so little to offer you - when there are a thousand better men out there who could give you everything you could ever want and need.

"You don't have to worry about not living up to expectations because you already exceed and destroy all that there is, without even trying."

I looked up at him with a slightly parted mouth and wide, tearful eyes. I reached up and ran a hand over his wonderfully smooth, tanned skin and allowed the pad of my thumb to glide over his lower lip.

The words I longed to so desperately speak earlier ghosted on the tip of my tongue. I was heartbeats away from speaking them when he leaned forward, pressing our lips together.

With his hands he took my waist and pulled me onto his body where I straddled his hips, holding his face in my hands longingly.

"Do you believe me now?" He gushed breathlessly against my lips and I laughed, refusing to answer. Instead, I curled down on-top of his chest, sighing in contentment.

The Doctor

The following morning we went to the sanitarium and Mel laughed and cooed with my mom about my childhood as she showed her the small collection of photos she kept here while we played chess.

I scowled the whole time - totally unamused at my school photos being brought out. The one thing everybody forgot was that I was twelve when I graduated from school; I was a young kid - with no fashion sense whatsoever.

"Time for your lunch time meds Diana." Lynette announced, entering the room with a tray and her clipboard. I took this as my only opportunity and got to my feet, widening my eyes at Melanie as she replaced the scrapbook on my mom's nightstand.

"Mom we're going to go grab some lunch, we'll be back before dinner okay?" I said as I shrugged inside my coat.

"Okay Spencer, have a nice lunch." She caught Melanie's wrist as she moved past the table and pulled her down into a hug.

"Have a good afternoon Diana." Melanie smiled as she took her coat and left the room with me frowning in confusion.

"What's wrong Spence?" She laughed as she donned her coat.

"I just..." I shook my head to clear it, laughing. "I just can't believe how much my mom loves you," I admitted. "I've never seen her so happy." I shrugged and Melanie cooed, looping her arm through mine and reaching up to kiss my cheek.

"That's adorable," She admitted. "I'm so pleased she likes me." She laughed self-consciously as we left the sanitarium.

"Of course she likes you." I scoffed.

*

"So," I began as we pulled into the parking lot behind the shopping mall. "You're sure you want to do this?" I asked as we climbed out of the car.
"Of course I'm sure," She giggled with excitement. "I just can't believe you agreed to it." I sighed and rolled my eyes as she took my hand and practically dragged me for the ice rink.

"I'm not so sure about this Mel..." I admitted as we collected our skates and sat down on the bench.
"Aw c'mon Spence it'll be so much fun!" She practically squealed and I groaned as I laced up my skates.

"I can think of a million and one things I'd rather be doing in this instant." I admitted as we got to our feet. Mel scowled at me humorously and I smirked; her serious face was just too adorable.

"Okay, c'mon, we can do this," She nodded seriously, taking my hand and leading me onto the ice. "Whoa," She laughed as she slid super fast the second her skates touched the surface. "Wow this is slippery."

She laughed and I chuckled at the lack of logic in those words.

"Shuup," She snapped humorously, seeing my smirk as I climbed onto the ice with no problems. "How can you not be slipping?" She asked as she skidded into the side of the rink, gripping the surface with a panicked expression.

"I dunno," I shrugged, effortlessly sliding to her side and taking her hand in mine with a smug smile. "I guess my extra height balances my weight on the skates subsequently keeping me more upright on the ice." I reasoned and she peered at me with a straight face.

"I don't think I like this so much..." She admitted as she slid manically forwards a few feet before snatching the side and almost hurling herself back over it onto the nearby front-row bench.

"Aw c'mon Mel it'll be so much fun!" I mimicked her tone from before and she looked over her shoulder at me with a scowl, making me laugh hysterically.

I doubled over and my weight shifted, my skates completely going out from under me sending me straight onto my backside on the ice. I slid right into Mel and knocked her flying on-top of me; squealing out in fear as I laughed even more hysterically.

"FBI agents and we can't even stay upright on the ice!" I laughed, getting to my feet and taking Melanie's hand as she scowled up at me again.

"This isn't funny Spence," She pouted. "I was really looking forward to this." Her bottom lip jutted out and I cooed, pushing the hair from her face as she righted herself on the ice again.

"Mel, what did you think was going to happen?" I enquired. "That you'd immediately be like them?" I asked, gesturing to the two teenage girls in the centre of the rink doing insane spins on one skate.

"Spence!" She moaned, looking up at me with a frown. "It's not fair." She huffed and I laughed, taking her hand again.

"C'mon," I said, pushing forwards on the ice. "One more lap and we'll call it a day."

"No," She said adamantly and I looked back at her. "I want to be able to skate without holding onto the side."
"Today?" I asked in a shocked pitch.
"Today." She said defiantly.

*

Two laps, seven falls and two soggy bums later and Mel was still adamant to let go of the side.
"Mel..." I groaned, blowing on my gloved hands in order to heat up a little. "It's freezing, and I'm starving, can't we call it a day?" I enquired right before she pushed off from the side and moved three feet along the ice before sliding to her bum again.

"Offt!" She winced as she fell down again. I heaved a sigh and skated over to her, pulling her over to the side so she could help herself up on the ledge. "Fine!" She groaned. "I give in." She snapped, working her way back along the edging and off onto dry land.

I looked skyward and mumbled,
"Thank you." Under my breath before following her.

The Daughter

"All I wanted was to be able to ice skate." I mumbled moodily as I laced up my normal boots; my ice-skates abandoned on the bench beside me.

"I know," Spencer nodded next to me. "But it's not a skill that just happens." He shrugged.
"I don't like ice skating." I decided, getting to my feet and passing the skates back across the counter to the attendant.

"Well I suppose you have to try these things to know for sure." Spencer shrugged and I frowned moodily, folding my arms. It was so unfair.

He chuckled at my expression and passed his own skates across the counter, taking my hand and kissing my cheek as he said,

"C'mon moody let's go." I smirked behind his back at his tone and followed him away from the ice rink.

"So we know that ice skating isn't your specialty," He joked and I frowned up at him moodily with a petted lip, making his smile spread bigger. "But what is your specialty is knowing good coffee when you smell it so..."

He pushed open the door to one of the coffee shops on the concourse of the square where the ice rink was located.

"How does this smell?" He asked and I mhmmed as I inhaled the glorious scent of Italian coffee.

I smiled up at him and he chuckled, putting both hands on my shoulders and steering me towards the tables.

"You choose a seat and I'll get us lunch." He said.

I looked up at him curiously and he smirked,

"Welcome to Vegas honey." He grinned, leaning forward and kissing my nose before steering me back towards the tables.

I done as he guided in a daze; completely lost in the trance that he was providing. He was in such a happy, loveable bubble this afternoon and I didn't want it to burst.

Nicknames?

'Honey'?

Kisses in public?

Nose kisses?

I hung my coat on the back of my chair, still dazed and sat back, admiring the time I was having in Spencer's hometown and smiling at every second spent here.

The Doctor

"Wow," I sighed, leaning back on my chair. "Your skill of smelling good coffee will never cease to amaze me." She raised her hands in the air in surrender, sitting back on her chair too.

"What can I say? I amaze even myself." We laughed as we gathered our coats and left the coffee shop.

"So, there's something I have to do," I admitted a little nervously. I snuck a glance at Melanie to find her nodding up at me and I chewed on my lip. How could I add 'without you' onto the end of that sentence without sounding rude?

"Would you like me to take you back to the hotel, or the sanitarium? Or someplace else?"

"Uhm..." Melanie didn't sound too surprised or even offended at all as she looped her arm through mine and shivered against my arm. "I think I'd like to go back and see your mum." She admitted and I looked down at her with arched eyebrows.

"Really?" I asked, surprised. "And you're sure you don't mind visiting her alone?" She looked up at me with one arched eyebrow.

"Spence, of course not. I love seeing her." She admitted and I smiled broadly, pulling her even closer to my side as we headed for the parking lot.
"That makes me really happy." I admitted.

The Daughter

"Hey," I said as I approached the front reception where Lynette was stood chatting with another female nurse and the gay male receptionist. "I'm looking for Diana?" I enquired and Lynette looked as though I'd just spoken to her in five different languages and one unknown frequency.

"I'm sorry..." She said, looking me up and down. I smirked and cast my eyes away from her into the sitting room behind her.

"Diana Reid?" I offered. "My boyfriend Spencer's mom?"

"Oh," Lynette said eventually, as if she'd just figured out who I was talking about. I knew from Spencer telling me that Diana was the only woman in the sanitarium with that name.

Lynette was only playing games.

"I'm sorry but you can't visit Mrs Reid unless you're a member of family." She shrugged unapologetically and I arched an eyebrow, my eyes focusing behind her as Diana left the sitting room.

"Melanie!" She grinned, waving and I smiled broadly, walking forwards to greet her by Lynette's side. "Did you have a good lunch?" She asked and I nodded my head.

"It was lovely." I admitted.
"Where's Spencer?" She asked, turning to the corridor where her room was situated.

"Oh he had to go run a few errands," I explained. "But he'll be back to see you soon." Diana led me away from the reception; away from the (unprotesting) Lynette and her coworkers.

"Was she giving you a hard time?" Diana mumbled to me and I nodded my head.
"I don't think she likes me very much."

"Don't worry child," She said, patting my arm. "She's only jealous because you're with my Spencer and she isn't." I smiled at Diana's true bluntness and continued down the corridor to her room.

*

"So tell me," Diana yawned, sitting back on her bed. "Did Spencer like his gifts?" I nodded my head and she grinned. "I knew he would," She said sleepily. "As soon as you told me about them yesterday, I knew he'd adore them." She yawned again and I frowned.

"Diana, how have you been sleeping?" I asked, sitting forward on the armchair by her bedside.
"I haven't..." She laughed, leaning her head back against the headboard.

"What? You mean you couldn't or...?" Panic began to flood through me, Spencer had to know about this.

"No, no, no," She smiled, reaching her hand out to me. I leaned forward and took it in the both of mine, worry etched all over my face. "Please don't worry dear Melanie," She smiled, looking deep into my eyes. "Your face is so full of worry," She commented in a small voice.

"I knew I couldn't sleep this weekend," She sighed. "I was so looking forward to meeting you, I knew I had to stay healthy to speak with you," She explained.

"And once I got myself healthy, I didn't want to go sleeping it away! I couldn't run the risk of waking up again and not knowing who you were..." She sighed sadly and tears pooled in my eyes.

We'd had such a positive afternoon talking about Spencer and Jack and Spencer's relationship with JJ's son Henry.

Diana had only seen photos so I showed her a video of Spencer playing with Henry and Jack at my birthday party. She seemed completely enthralled.

"You see," She continued. "When I get in these good moods," She said, gesturing to herself tucked under her covers leaning against her head board.

"I can never run the risk of sleeping it away and waking up a miserable old madwoman," I blinked the tears out of my eyes, looking down at my hands holding the frail one belonging to Spencer's mother.

"Please don't be sad, Melanie," She said in a soft voice, shaking my hands in her own. "I'm alright," She admitted. I looked up at her to find her smiling at me.

"I'm just tired..." She admitted in a quiet voice. "But now that I've met you," She said in a serious tone. "Now that I know you and know how good you are for my Spencer, how great you are with him, I can rest easy again knowing I haven't frightened you off with my madness..."

"You're not mad." I said in a quiet voice and she waved me silent.

"My Spencer is a delicate soul, Melanie..." She said in a weak voice. "He's a strong young man, but he's a delicate soul... You look after my son for me..." I nodded my head.

"A promise isn't a promise unless you say it out loud," She smiled. "Spencer taught me that." She added and I smiled; Spencer had taught me that too; I was simply too emotional to conjure words.

"I promise." I said once I'd cleared my throat. She smiled and nodded her head.

"If you're still here when I wake up..." She said in a weak voice. "Please try to remember me as I am now, and not as the woman I'll be when I awake... I can't control who I am, Melanie..." She said, her eyes fluttering closed.

"I apologise for whatever you see." I was thankful that her eyes then closed and she subsequently missed the tears that fell from my eyes.

The Doctor

It was after dinner when I finally made it back to the sanitarium.

"Doctor Reid!" I was half-way along the first corridor when I was halted by the receptionist calling my name.

"Yes, yes?" I asked, doubling back hurriedly. He ran out from behind his reception and hurried across the reception to me.

"I've tried calling several times..." My heart plummeted and I patted my pockets to no avail; I'd probably left my cell phone in the hotel room.

"What's happened?" I demanded, backing off down the corridor I'd previously been in.

"It's your mother she-" My mind immediately snapped to Melanie; what the Hell had happened?

I hurried along the first corridor and skidded around the corner onto the second one; shouts and cries greeting me, my heart almost choking me as I saw Melanie leaning against the wall outside my mom's room.

"Mel!" I gasped as I jogged to her.
"Spencer!" She cried, turning to me and practically falling into my arms.

"I'm so sorry, I tried to call you but..." I pulled her head against my chest, silencing her crying words and wrapping my arms around her.

"I know I'm sorry, ssh it's okay, what happened?" I demanded, pulling back and leaning down to her eye-level.

"She hadn't slept, Spence," She cried, her bottom lip wobbling emotionally as her tears slid down her cheeks. I held her shoulders tightly, frowning at her tears. "She stayed awake so she wouldn't scare me off..." She blinked and looked down at the floor.

"Hey, hey," I tipped her chin up to look at me and forced a smile at her. "It's okay, it's alright." I told her, even though it was partly a lie.

"She fell asleep and when she woke up, she didn't know who I was and she attacked me, but I... I didn't want her to get in to trouble but she was so upset and by the time the nurses came she was hysterical... I-I didn't know what to do Spence."

She fell back into my arms again, crying and I squeezed my eyes shut, holding her to me as the cries silenced inside my mother's room meaning only one thing.

I kissed the top of Melanie's head; willing all of this to go away.

Why had I left her?

Why had I let her visit alone?

How stupid was I to have done such a thing?

"I'm gonna go see what's gone on okay?" I whispered, pulling back and kissing Mel's tear-stained lips lightly. She nodded her head and sniffed as I pulled away and headed into my mother's room, just as the nurses were settling her covers over her sleeping body.

"Spencer," Lynette said in a tough voice. "We've tried contacting you."
"What did you give her?" I snapped, snatching the clipboard out of her hands and reading the contents of the papers without Lynette having to answer.

"I'll be back to visit in the morning when she's awake." I snapped, displeased with Lynette to say the least.

"Why wouldn't you answer our calls?" She demanded and I ignored her, collecting Melanie's coat and purse before brushing out of the room.

"C'mon, she's asleep now, let's go." I said, holding Mel's coat out for her. She leaned against me as we left the sanitarium; my anger fizzing silently between us.

The Daughter

"Are you pissed at me?" I asked as we entered the hotel room after a silent car ride.

"What?" He asked, turning to me and throwing his coat down on the bed where his phone sat flashing his missed calls. "No of course not, what makes you think that?" He asked, crossing to me and rubbing my upper arms while chewing his lip.

"You haven't said anything since the sanitarium and I... I guess I just feel like what happened was my fault. I never meant to upset her-"

"Melly these things happen all the time with my mom," He explained, approaching me to take my face into his hands.

"It can't be stopped or maintained or anything, it just happens," He shrugged, smiling down at me lightly. "I'm just pissed at how the nurses handle it... Or their lack there of." He shrugged and I frowned, throwing my arms around him and squeezing my eyes tight shut.

"I'm sorry Spence." I whispered.
"You have nothing to apologise for Melly." He shrugged and I hugged him tighter.

*

The following day we returned to the sanitarium but only Spencer went inside. He stayed ten minutes before leaving with a deep frown and a thick voice. He explained his mother was still too sick for me to see her, that the Doctor reckons staying awake knocked her back a while.

I was disappointed as this was the last chance I had at visiting Diana while Spencer and I were in Vegas. We left that afternoon and I didn't want to have any regrets of not seeing her enough.

But I didn't want to push her and I respected her condition; valuing the time I did spend with her more.

"Are you okay?" I asked Spencer as we sat side-by-side on the plane back to Virgina.

"I'm alright," He sighed heavily. "I guess I just hate leaving her." He shrugged and I nodded my head, reaching up to caress his cheek before kissing him lightly, pulling back with a sad smile.

"For what it's worth I hate it too." I explained, leaning my head on his shoulder and lacing our hands together.

~~~

"Knowing that you're crazy doesn't make the crazy things stop happening." ~ Mark Vonnegut

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

570K 12.8K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
184K 3.7K 25
BEFORE READING PLEASE KNOW I WAS LIKE 14/15 WHEN I WROTE THIS. Hotch is forced to put the team through a fake investigation after scrutiny following...
200K 4.2K 57
Briar Dowling was beautiful, young and cunning. In many ways she was like her mother, Farah Dowling. From a young age she knew she was destined to le...
239K 6.2K 33
Aria "Falcon" Blackwood, Daughter of Charlee Blackwood. Long lost daughter of Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, gets selected for TOPGUN. Following the foots...