A Way To Flow [One Shot]

By AO_Spring

On Valentine's Day, after receiving a confession, Tera Anko splashed water on the man's face. She always thou... More

Copyright

A Way To Flow

64 7 0
By AO_Spring

Tera Anko's POV

"Just like the flow of water, my heart... can be stopped anytime."

💦

"Tera!" My classmate stretched out his arm holding a letter and kneeled. "Please accept this!"

Water can be either clean or filthy.
Clean water keeps flowing, for everyone needs it. Although, if it becomes filthy, the flow needs to be stopped.

I grabbed his envelope. As usual, many eyes were on us even though we were inside our classroom. By reading the letter, I knew that this guy had no shame...

"Is this your confession?"

"Y-yeah..." I didn't even need to think about my answer. I just opened my water bottle and let him stay kneeled.

Imagine if people were water. They would fear the stop of their flow and act pure. In my case, I am fully aware that my life has a timebomb so I figured that I had nothing to be afraid of.

"Ridiculous." I splashed the water on his face.

"How dare—"

A deadly glare from me made him stop working-- I mean, stop spouting more words.

Before continuing my words, I recalled what I saw earlier at the back of the school. The man, in front of me, forced a kiss on some random girl. I took a blind eye to that but I've changed now...

I slapped the letter back at his face. "...I'm the only one who dared to do this to you."

💦

After that commotion, we went to each of our assigned task areas. I belonged to the students assigned in the garden so I happened to see a boy stepping on a plant.

"Haha! Is this what you call a plant? It's worthless just like its caretaker!"

I hate getting involved in these things. However, I also saw a girl pulling someone's hair and she even pushed her.

"You're so noisy," I said coldly, aiming the water hose at the faces of two students.

"Are you cra- bwwwe-!" I aimed again to silence them. Finally, they left biting their lips while glaring at me.

After a few minutes, the girl bowed, expressing her gratitude. "T-thank you very much!"

"No problem. Go back to your classroom and get change. I'll take care of the plants."

I went back to watering the plants since I have nothing else to do anyway.

"Are you alright?"

"Ah— hah!" I screamed and dropped the hose when someone suddenly talked to me.

"Pfft... I'm sorry."

"Hey, how rude," I said while he just tilted his head. "Surprising me like that, you have no right to laugh."

"Ah yes, I apologize..."

"It's fine. Anyway, my answer to your question earlier is 'I'm not alright."

"Shall I comfort you?" He smiled, probably teasing me, that I wanted to rip his teeth apart.

"No, thanks. You should do that to the girl before."

"But I like Tera, so I'll stay here."
A sudden confession made me frozen. As my senses went back, I abruptly averted my eyes.

Normally, I would reject someone immediately like I did before but now, I couldn't even give a proper reply.

"Then, stay here. I'm going back to the classroom." I closed the faucet and put the hose back to its place.

Kota Koa was from the section next to ours. I've always been curious about his personality, other than being cheerful.

How could he like someone who had never talked to him?

I gasped. Maybe, he's a playboy?!

Because of this thought, I went back to the garden, preparing to reject him.

"You're back, Tera."

"Y-yeah, I am... Anyway, what's that..?"

"Water conservation poster. I was asked to post it here in the garden."

"Oh... So that's the main reason why you're here—" I covered my mouth before I fully blurted my thoughts.

"Nope, I planned to confess today since it's Valentine's Day. Luckily, you happened to be here so it must be fate."

Fate, huh...

"Yeah, it must be... After all, I just wasted water twice in a row, then I saw you posting something about water conservation."

I supposed that God brought him here to teach me a lesson...

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!" I knew he was cheerful but not to this extent. "I'm sorry for laughing pfft..."

Calming down, the mood quickly dropped.

After a few seconds, he asked,
"there's a reason for that, right?"

"What's with you...? After that long laugh, you suddenly become serious..."

His expression was kinda attractive but I guessed that I love his cheerful expression more.

Looking back, that's the reason why I couldn't help but glance at him in their classroom. Also, his name had been stuck in my head after what he said a week ago...

💦

Our adviser called me to the faculty after splashing water at someone for the 10th time.

I stepped out of the room, muttering, "I guess, I'll apologize. I don't think it would extend my life though. Well, it's not that important so nothing will change."

"I don't think so..?" A voice beyond a wall reached to me. I thought it was meant for someone else until he said, "Your life is as important as every single drop of water."

As he walked past me, I didn't have the chance to ask what he was doing there at that time.

💦

"Reason... for what, anyway?"

"Your heroic deeds." Oh. I thought he was referring to the reason for wasting water.

"Of course, anyone could guess the reason why I help people. The only thing that they couldn't is the reason for my courage to do it."

"I see, I won't ask anymore... since it's like a secret based on your way of talking."

After hearing that, I smiled. "Kota Koa. Shall I call you, Koa?"

"Yeah..." Seeing his red face made me want to tease him. However, I had no time for that.

"Koa, I can't have you waiting for me..." I took a deep breath and continued, "The truth is the more water I waste, the shorter my life is. So just like the flow of water, my heart can be stopped anytime..."

His smile faded away and he was left speechless.

"I was cursed. No—" I paused and corrected myself, "I let myself be cursed."

💦

It was almost lunchtime, yet it felt like Valentine's was about to end. Many things happened that even I would never believe that I told him myself about the curse.

At the moment, I didn't know why but Koa dragged me to the infirmary after my explanation.

"Rion, what's the meaning of this?"

"Kota? A-anyway... Why is Tera also here?"

"I thought you already quitted, so why did you activate a curse on Tera?!"

Rion Howa, our school nurse, was the only one with knowledge about my curse.

Because of Koa's question, I knew right away that he was aware of Nurse Howa's ability. It made sense now why I got dragged here.

"Oh..? Well, she requested it. I could care less about someone who already gave up on her life."

Those words somehow pierced my heart. I might hate to admit it but he had a point.

"Okay, stop right there. Koa, I asked him to put a curse on me. Plus, he's right... I don't have any reason to live anymore."

"See, I told ya?"

Even in this situation, Nurse Howa still had a knack for irritating people.

"So Tera, I heard you splashed water on someone again. How bad do you want to shorten your life?"

"I probably won't live until next week, depending on my actions..."

Anyway, I figured it was time to change the topic so I requested, "Come on, I'm hungry. Let's eat outside."

This time, I dragged Koa outside. Things might have worsened if we stayed there.

"Thanks..." I said softly.

"Eh? Oh, that..."

"Well, It's the first time that someone got mad for my sake."

"I could even smack him hard but I know that you won't like it so yeah..."

"Pfft- I... Pfft-" Oh my gosh. My laugh is stopping me from speaking.

"A-ahaha... I'm sorry... Wait... Ha... I would love to see Nurse Howa's smacked pfft- face."

"Shall I?" His teasing smile went back.

"B-but still! Violence is wrong, alright?"

"Alright alright. Ms. Tera Anko, you have pretty unique humor. Violent humor on top of that."

"Please stop. To change the topic, let's go back to your confession. So my reply is clear now, right?"

"Hm? What exactly was your reply?"

"As I said, this might be my last day or tomorrow that's why I can't-"

"You haven't told me what you feel about me."

My feelings..? Of course, it's...

"I fully understand your situation. Just tell me what you feel— A-ah! But it's alright if you don't want to..."

I was still not sure about it... Or maybe I just couldn't say it..?

"Stop overthinking. I don't need an immediate answer. Come on, what do you want for lunch?"

"U-Uhm... Is fried chicken available at the canteen?"

"Oh. Let's go there first."

This is so awkward. What a Valentine's Day!

💦

On our way to the canteen, I saw the male and female bullies in the garden again. They're carrying a gallon of juice.

Although I would hate getting involved with them again, a ladder was about to fall and I unknowingly rushed to block it. I couldn't believe that I saved them though...

"Y-you're the hose girl!" Hose girl?!

"Shouldn't you say thank you first?" I asked bluntly.

"Ah! Thanks and... we apologize for what happened earlier. A-also, we already apologized to the one we bullied before."

That was unexpected.

"U-Uhm... I also apologize."

"Well then, we need to bring this to our classroom." Oh. She was talking about the gallon.

"Please excuse us-"

"W-wait! It will fall!" I warned them and touched the gallon. I was too late and the juice was spilled...

Koa was too far away... However, he rushed as soon as he saw the spilled juice. I thought that he must have guessed already.

Lying on the ground, my heart started to freeze...

As I wished before, I felt no pain...

I just realized that I already had a reason to live. The curse was just inevitable so I kept denying the fact that I still wanted to live...

To lessen my pain emotionally...

💦

Kota Koa's POV

"Why does this woman always fight back?"

That was my first impression of her.

Due to my curiosity, I followed her to the faculty after being called by their adviser.

"I guess, I'll apologize. I don't think it would extend my life though. Well, it's not that important so nothing will change."

After hearing her words, I said something that I just hoped would help her. Ever since then, I started to look at her more often. I wouldn't call it stalking but think what you want.

I started to understand more about her and wanted to know more. Before I knew it, it was the first time that I fell in love.

When I finally confessed, I found out that she was cursed by my childhood friend, Rion Howa.

He used to curse anyone if he feels like it. However, he stopped ever since he nearly cursed me so I never thought that it would happen to Tera...

"Rion, is there any other way to break the curse?"

"I already tried everything. Why don't you give her a true love kiss—?"

"Nothing happened."

He was just kidding but I immediately did it. I had to apologize to Tera, for doing this while she was unconscious.

"Ha... In front of me... Kota, that's not the right way how to treat a patient."

"What should I do, then..?"

"She's dead... Accept it."

"Why did you even use it in the first place?!"

"Look. Calm down, Kota. It's sudden but you should've expected this already."

It was no good. I couldn't hear what Rion was saying anymore as I continued to speak.
"You didn't even care..."

"I said calm down!"

"Tera values her life... more than anyone else!"

"I already know that!" Before I knew it, Rion was already shedding tears.

"What can I do? She was begging me... She was in pain because of her heart disease! She told me to lessen the pain... I activated the curse thinking that 'she will die anyway'. Even if I regret everything... Even if I started to like her... That won't change anything!"

"... Then why that kind of curse? It only made her life shorter..."

"I... was irritated. After asking her if it's alright to activate a curse on her, she was so ready to throw her life away. You know that I dislike people like that back then... I offered a bottle of water but she just poured it on the ground. I thought that 'she just wastes everything including her life'... that's why I chose that curse..."

Instead of getting mad at him, I need to focus on Tera first.

"How can I save her?" I asked.

Wiping his own tears, he sighed.
"We can't save her. However, I know that you already did something."

So he already noticed. My kiss from earlier could make her soul always get reincarnated to the same world as mine no matter what happens. It's a selfish act. I looked so obsessed with her.

"... Still, it has a condition that both our souls must agree."

"It's a shame that you can't get reincarnated though..."

Can't get reincarnated? My eyes narrowed after hearing those words.

"Oops—" He covered his mouth then sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I apologize. When you were nearly cursed, it's not just nearly. You really got cursed."

I stared at him, deadly, and he continued,
"You got the ability to change your appearance to whatever age you want after you become 18 years old. You can die but not from aging. This is the worst curse... the pain from seeing many people die while you can't."

He has a knack for irritating people.

"You might meet Tera in your dreams. That would be your last conversation. Tell her that... I apologize."

"Can I punch you?"

"Ha... Go ahead."

Rion doesn't feel pain. He's also immortal. Still, he's also getting hurt inside. That's why...

"I won't do it after all. Tera hates violence."

"Hm? Is that so? By the way... When she gets reincarnated, you'll have a large age gap. You'll be a pedophile tsk tsk tsk."

"I don't care. At least, I can still love her..."

"Ahahahah! Age doesn't matter to an immortal man, right?"

"I'll sleep now. I might even see Tera. Don't disturb me."

"Oh my. You might choose to sleep eternally."

"If I can."

I slept in the other bed next to Tera. After a few seconds, I felt that I should open my eyes already so I did.

"Oh. You're finally awake... Koa."

"TERA!" I rushed to hug her...

But I just passed through her. "Come on, I'm just a soul right now. You'll trip over if you continued to do that."

"A-ah... Yeah."

"You already kissed me anyway. Ha... I'm aware of what you did. Anyway, we don't have much time left. Look at that water hourglass."

"There's a time limit?!"

"Of course! It's to prevent the suicide of the blockheads like you. Sleep eternally my foot..."

"Ah... So you already heard everything."

"Mm. Also the apology of Nurse Howa... Anyway, let me have my short speech first for the remaining time. Thanks for everything. Everything that you've done and said to me... I enjoy being close to you even just for a day. I'm sorry for leaving you too early..." She stopped. Tears started to flow from her eyes.

"I could still remember what you said to me before dragging me to the infirmary... When I said, my heart would stop just like the flow of water... You replied 'Even if it stops, there will always be a way to make it flow again...' I died though. Hahaha..." Tera's even forcing a laugh now.

"... Just kiddin'. Actually, you're right. It will flow again. As long as we trust each other and wait. I-I won't force you to wait for me but I hope you would... Thanks for giving me a chance to be with you again. Although, you might be over 100 years old when I come back. Ahahah... In my next life, I'll learn how to treasure my life!"

Wait. That means she's accepting the reincarnation...? But, the other condition is...

"Oh. Time is almost up! Hmm... Hey, Koa. Did you know that... 'the more you hate, the more you love'?"

"Wait, Tera..." Our tears started to flow down our cheeks.

"That's why..."

I was still not ready for our parting and I would never be ready.

"I really hate you..." She smiled.

The sight of Tera starting to fade away made my knees tremble, making me kneel down.
"Don't leave me...!"

I stretched out my hand, trying to reach and hold her.

However... before I knew it, my eyes opened, coming back to reality...

"Based on your expression, it looks like you already met Tera." Rion figured it out...

I cried loudly... in front of him and Tera. That was my first time...

It feels like the flow of my life already stopped. There are no ways to make it flow again...

Until Tera's words came to my mind. "It will flow again. As long as we trust each other and wait..."

That reminds me of the two conditions for reincarnation: Acceptance and Love.
Those two can also be a way to flow.

Tera.., the way that you confessed was very unique. There were lots of things I wanted to do with you.

We couldn't eat the fried chicken that you wanted. I even imagined building a family with you, but it looks like it will happen more than 30 years from now.

It doesn't matter how long it takes...

I'll wait and see you again someday.

The End

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 156K 49
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
2M 111K 96
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
40.8M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...