The Magic on the Island #Once...

De Aqua-Moonshine06

Autumn has just turned fourteen, fantastic. One less year to wait until she's out of the foster system. But... Mai multe

Part 1: Second Chapter
Part 2: First Chapter
Part 2: Second Chapter
Part 3: Finale

Part 1: First Chapter

249 71 0
De Aqua-Moonshine06

The Little Mermaid  has always been my favorite story. At least, the Disney version is, mainly because of the fact that Ariel didn't give up her family of give her life for a stranger like in Hans Christian Anderson's version. But that's just me. The one aspect that always reeled me in was how Ariel wasn't human and from a totally different world, yet she still had a curiosity for something different, that being the human world which really sucks. 

Why would she choose this place that sends unfortunate kids and teens like myself into homes with crazy and messed up people like current foster family who claim to do it for "a sense of charity" or "giving back", when all they want is a check? See Ariel, this world isn't as fantastic as you think. All in all, STAY IN ATLANTICA! You don't want to deal with the thieves, racists, criminals, or people in general here.

Basically, I live a miserable existence with Lilith and Jared Moore, my foster parents. Jared is the picture perfect image of drunk people everywhere who likes to fight with his wife, a lot. I really don't know why they got married but Lilith told me when they were dating they took a trip to Vegas and Jared proposed (drunkenly), then they headed to a chapel and got hitched. Their witnesses being a guy in drag and a dancer named Bubbles. Lilith on the other hand, doesn't talk a ton unless she is telling a story or standing up to Jared.

Then again, pretty soon I'll age out of the system (in four years to be exact) and it will no longer be my business. I just try to stay out of their way, I just do a ton of chores (which is code for all of them) and bring Jared his beer, which makes me their personal beer delivering monkey slave. This brings me a year closer to freedom. Then, on that note when I turn fifteen I have a secure job at my favorite bookstore, The Reading Fool. They got sick of me going in there and reading their books without paying for them. I know because the manager told me that when I turn fifteen there will be a spot for me so I can buy my books instead of wearing out all the for sale copies. My weekends consist of walking to The Reading Fool and finding a new young adult release. I love sitting in this little navy blue chair with the plush cushions and armrests by the window. Especially on days when the Kansas sun is shining just right through the window, it makes me feel as if I have a home and a family in just the other room waiting for me to tell them about my latest read.

Books happen to bring out my emotions which are often hidden around my foster parents, so while sitting in that store window passersby can see me laugh, cry, smile profusely, or curl in an upright fetal position when a finish a well loved series. Sometimes I look up to see their expressions and they make me laugh no matter what mood I'm in. But sometimes you just can't hide from reality, and mine is bothersome. It tugs at my mind, making me wonder about questions I know I'll never get the answers to. My reality is that I was put up for adoption when I was one. As a younger child I used to think foster parents were like babysitters, that my parents would come get me any day. They never did, but come on, really? My life isn't some sort of fairytale retelling, I was just a kid with dreams. When I finally realized this I decided that the only one I could ever rely on would be myself.

The day I met my birth father started with rain. It was a calm rain, the type only found in Kansas where the sun would shine just a little but still have fat drops that would soak you in less than five minutes. I always thought this type of weather was like my deep emotions, sunny because of my fun-loving self that I show and rainy because of mixed emotions like sadness or anger that I try to hide. I think that's why this is my favorite type of weather. My raggedy umbrella was broken to the point where it looked like half was a metal skeleton and the other a yellow half moon. I figured what's the point I'm still going to get halfway wet anyway so it's really not worth carrying the extra weight. I love this type of rain anyway, the sun warming my body from above, the rain sliding through my thick curly hair; I always found that relaxing.

Suddenly Lilith and Jared are fighting again, I can hear the through the walls that are all but thick and this makes me move faster. I throw my school stuff into my worn Hunger Games backpack and take a quick glance in the tiny mirror on wall to make sure I'm at least halfway decent with my jeans and T-shirt look. With a fluff of my dark brown hair, I slip out the front door.

Standing on the porch I put on my lucky grey jacket that's been with me through good times and tough times, which is more than I can say for my foster parents. It's still sunny raining and I watch cars go down my street to the downtown area that is literally not even five blocks away. I step out into the wet sunshine and look at my house. It's an old sandy brown two level house with grass growing to my knees. It kind of sucks being that girl who lives in the really raggedy house on the block with the deadbeat couple, but if people could choose their families I wouldn't be here.

When I get to school, I remember my first day an eighth grader among a sea of upperclassmen, so happy to have been accepted with all the other smart kids. After a bit of a search through the library I find her in the back corner of the non-fiction section. That is where we meet up and hang out every morning.

"Autumn! Where have you been? We have less the ten minutes before we need to be in class."

"Yeah well I wasn't paying attention to time and Lilith and Jared got into it this morning." Her good mood flickers a little. She hates my living situation and once offered me a spare room in her house.

"Oh, well, sorry, that must really suck to deal with that every day." I always try to tell her that she doesn't have to worry about it. I just stay out of the way and go about my business. But it seems that no matter what I say about it she is never convinced or swayed to think that I'm okay. I am, I've acknowledged that my situation sucks and I have come to terms with that and have to just look forward to the future.

"Scar, how many times do I have to tell you, I'll be fine. Seriously, don't stress yourself about it we don't have time for that with all the work we get at this place. Then, let's not forget that I can basically do whatever, no limitations, it's a plus." I know that I gave some crappy reasons as to why she shouldn't worry, but I have never been good at the whole comforting people thing. She gives me that look that says, 'Yeah, sure.'

"Fine fine, I'll try to push the aggravating thoughts deep down." After few seconds and a deep breath she starts talking about the latest eighth grade gossip. But, I have other things to worry about like school assignments and what book to read next. Who needs a social life? The only other person I really talk to is Dani. She's a fangirl, I'm a fangirl, so it was inevitable that we fangirl together. .

"Oh crap! We're going to be late unless we sprint!" We quickly snatch our things off the floor and sprint out of the library and burst through the art room door literally two seconds before the bell.

"Well we got lucky, huh?" As we make our way to our seats I turn and look at her.

"Barely, we nearly unleashed the beast!" We giggle quietly.

"Well, I guess it's good that it's the last day of school so she won't be our problem next year, yeah?

"Definitely, we've been waiting for this day since our first assignment." Then, there's a shadow over us, Ms. Carol. Maybe we did upset her. I look up at her as she glares at us.

"Ladies, would you like to share with the class what it is that you're gossiping about?" Scar and I look down at our desks and say, "No, Ms. Carol."

"Good. Well then, let's get on with class, today we will..." I tune out Ms. Carol and turn to Scar, whispering even quieter than before.

"So, since we're going to get a boring end of the year speech from the beast, is there something you wanted to tell me?" Scar smiles and looks like she just recalled something funny when Ms. Carol turned her attention to us once again.

"Autumn Jones, get your things you're going to the office." My good natured spirit tilts upside down and my face falls.

"Why?"

"The office called, someone is here to pick you up." What could have happened for Lilith of Jared to come pick me up?

I grab my stuff and out of the corner of my eye I see Scar looking worried. The last time I got picked up from school Lilith was hospitalized because she got into a bad fist fight with Jared and he'd hit her too hard. I look at her with my best reassuring look.

"I'll call you later." She mumbles a quick okay and then I'm gone. Once I state why I'm there the receptionist directs me to the principal's office. This is extremely weird seeing as parents who pick up their kids wait in the lobby not the principal's office. I walk down the corridor and I knock on Principal McKinley's door.

"Come in Autumn!" It's as if she has happy face emojis on the end of her sentence. I push the door open to see McKinley and a man I have never met before who looks like he's in his early thirties. He stands when he sees me. He has dark brown hair like mine that's cut short and the same brown skin as mine except his is a bit darker. Who could he be?

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

80.6K 5.6K 60
Shubish oneshots because why not. Mainly fluff with a little angst on the side. Ps- I wanted to write like a long story but I lack a good main plot a...
126K 5.2K 45
A fire incident at his(Kim Jae-soo) husband's home while he (Baek Ji-Hu )was away made Kim Jae-soo return to his third year of university (he was reb...
102K 235 7
Emily is your classic good girl. Shes 18 years old. Her life seems all planned out but what happens when she is taken and forced into diapers? Will s...