Hunters' Shadow (Book one of...

By EmmaConnolly379

Twenty Six year old Blake Hunter is the Alpha of the largest pack in the region. Finding his mate is the last... More

Foreword
Prologue (Edited)
Chapter One (Edited)
Chapter Two (Edited)
Chapter Three (Edited)
Chapter Four (Edited)
Chapter Five (Edited)
Chapter Six (Edited)
Chapter Seven (Edited)
Chapter Eight (Edited)
Chapter Nine (Edited)
Chapter Ten (Edited)
Chapter Eleven (Edited)
Chapter Twelve (Edited)
Chapter Thirteen (Edited)
Chapter Fourteen (Edited)
Chapter Fifteen (Edited)
Chapter Sixteen (Edited)
Chapter Seventeen (Edited)
Chapter Eighteen (Edited)
Chapter Nineteen (Edited)
Chapter Twenty (Edited)
Chapter Twenty One (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Two (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Three (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Four (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Five (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Six (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Seven (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Eight (Edited)
Chapter Twenty Nine (Edited)
Chapter Thirty (Edited)
Chapter Thirty One (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Two (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Three (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Four (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Five (Edit)
Chapter Thirty Six (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Seven (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Eight (Edited)
Chapter Thirty Nine (Edited)
Chapter Forty (Edited)
Chapter Forty One (Edited)
Chapter Forty Two (Edited)
Chapter Forty Three (Edited)
Chapter Forty Four (Edited)
Part Two
Chapter Forty Five (Edited)
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Epilogue

Chapter Seventy Three

3.6K 216 44
By EmmaConnolly379

Mere yards from the treeline, the heavy foliage rose up to hide the rough stone walls of the village creating the illusion of a forest that stretched for miles with no end in sight. Dwarfed by the immense pines, the lone wolf followed the trails between them with single-minded determination.

As they reached the edge of a shallow stream, the arid smell of smoke assaulted his senses, and the wolf was confronted a forest ravaged by recent fire. The clear waters had formed an effective barrier preventing the flames from encroaching any further upon their side of the forest – lush green foliage lapping the edge of the bank on one side and stark, blackened earth on the other.

I didn't think the fire reached this far.

A deadly combination of dry pine needles, fallen timber and low lying vegetation had led to a fast moving and aggressive wildfire that ripped across the forest floor, scorching the ground as it passed. Though blackened, the trees bore no more than surface damage, their high branches protected from the rapid destruction. But at ground level, nothing but the fastest creatures could have survived.

For a moment, Blake's stomach clenched. Goddess, She hadn't been in there, had she?

But his wolf's sharp eyes spotted the shallow imprint of a bare, human foot in the mud, a tantalising scent just detectable under the layers of smoke, and he turned away from the fire-stricken trees and deeper into the undergrowth, following the trail of a human who had stumbled and struggled back into relative safety on the untouched side of the forest.

As he approached a small clearing, his senses went into overdrive, and Rothan began trembling with excitement. Another wolf stood in the clearing; a female, not pack, not Elmwood. A rogue? On cautious paws he moved forward to investigate.

Her coat was a rich, rusty red; like an escaped flame from the still smouldering fire, the soft glow of the early morning sun set the fur alight. She hadn't spotted them yet, her nose busy scenting out her surroundings. She recoiled when brushing too close to a tickling fern, then leaned in again, curiosity overcoming caution.

He stopped and stared; gaping like a gangly youth that had never laid eyes on a female before. She'd blend perfectly into a pile of autumnal leaves, he reflected, in awe of her magnificence. Shifting tones of auburn ran through her fur; dark and rich across her back and tail, lightening like sun bleached hair down to her undercarriage and legs. When she moved, the colours caught the rays from the sun and came to life as though tiny embers burned under her coat.

Mate, Rothan announced with huge satisfaction.

Mate? For a moment, Blake felt a deep confusion. His startled whine caught her attention, and she looked his way. Only then did he realise the truth.

Her eyes were two pools of darkness, jet black and fixed on his, but as she moved a breath of wind caught her fur, wafting her scent towards him. And there, in the mix, he detected a subtle undertone of the muddy, yet enticing scent he'd come to associate with the woman he loved.

She tilted her head in a quizzical gesture, fur twitching as she scented the air, trying to gauge his scent. Curious, but wary.

“Hannah?" He took a step towards her, and she shrank back, her ears flat against her head and a defensive snarl rippling through her bared teeth.

She can't understand us, Rothan cautioned.

Of course not. She was neither pack, nor had they mated. There was no link between them, they couldn't communicate in wolf-form. But why be afraid? She knows us.

I’m not sure she does.

He contemplated shifting so he could talk to her.

I wouldn't, Rothan warned softly. If she attacks, you'll be forced to defend yourself.

Why would she – He took another step towards her and she raised her lips in a half-snarl, confusion flooding her beautiful eyes.

She really doesn't recognise us, Blake realised. Confused, he sat down to reassess the situation, his eyes roving over her body, checking for injuries. She seemed relatively unharmed, though the faint tinge of smoke clinging to her fur suggested she'd found herself far closer to the fire than he liked to imagine.
How she had made it this deep into the forest Blake had no idea, but somehow during her flight she had shifted, her wolf breaking through the barrier that had kept her caged for so long, transforming her into the wolf he couldn't take his eyes off.

But it appeared her release had come at a price.

There was no sign that the wolf in front of him had any recollection of Blake or his wolf, nor any real comprehension of her whereabouts. He could see the bewilderment filling her eyes as unfamiliar smells assailed her. Her ears were constantly on the move, flicking back and forth nervously, but she made no move to flee from him, which and he felt a glimmer of hope that she too could feel the connection between them.

Surprisingly, Rothan then did something he'd never done before. Shoving Blake's consciousness aside, he took over, lowering himself into the fallen needles in a gesture of submission and releasing a soft whine of reassurance.

What are you doing? Blake demanded.

She’s a wolf.

I can see that.

Rothan let out a huff of impatience. She's not your Hannah. She's my Hannah.

I don't –

Wolf Hannah, not human Hannah... One of his ears twitched. And she's in charge.

Her wolf? Blake took a second look at the black eyes of the beautiful creature in front of them. The air smelt of fresh apples and warm cinnamon, almost overwhelming her familiar scent; enticing and full of promise. Her scent has changed.

You noticed, Rothan said dryly.

It's familiar, somehow, he noted in wonderlike some part of him had been waiting his whole life to smell it for the first time. It's captivating.

She's our mate, Rothan said, his tone filled with puppish glee.

I already knew that.

Our true mate, his wolf reiterated.

Blake thought about it a moment, and quickly came to the realisation that he didn't care. So? He dismissed the discovery. She was already our mate. We chose her. And she chose us.

She's magnificent, his wolf said proudly. Just look at her.

I am.

She continued to watch them carefully, her eyes studying them with such intensity that if they could have blushed, they'd have managed it. Clearly as enamoured by Rothan as he was by her, Blake was sure she could sense same connection they could, and it was overriding her natural instinct to shy away.
Rothan's flanks trembled as he held himself still, determined not to frighten her with any sudden movements, holding himself like a coiled spring, wound as tightly as possible and desperate for relief. She was here. They'd found her. She was safe.

She was safe, wasn't she?

Where's Hannah? he asked with sudden worry. Why isn't she telling her who we are?

I'm not sure. The huge black wolf turned and padded part way through the trees, his ears flicking forward in encouragement. Follow me.

The she-wolf cast him a startled look, her beautiful eyes tracking his movements carefully, torn between flight and curiosity. The latter won over and she took a cautious step towards his side, her nose twitching as she took in his scent, an electric frisson running through them both as their flanks brushed against one another.

He took a few more steps.

Curiosity persuaded her to follow him, the tentative, invisible connection between the two wolves tying them together, like whispers of smoke drifting around them, soft, sensual, and carrying a scent that filled them both with their own personal euphoria.

For a while, they padded confidently through the undergrowth, a feeling of contentment washing over him every time she closed the gap between them.

He didn't realise how on edge they still were though, until a sudden rustle of foliage found them crouched in a defensive stance, heart pounding, lip curled in a warning snarl. The rustling intensified, then vanished as whatever-it-was disappeared into a burrow.

The she-wolf looked at her companion with quizzical eyes and a ‘what on earth are you doing?’ tilt of her head.

Rabbit, Blake grunted unnecessarily, feeling sheepish.

Could have been a rogue.

He tensed again. We need to get her out of here.

I know that. Any suggestions?

Blake scanned the pack-link seeking anyone close enough to communicate with. A tantalising buzz informed him he was just out of range of at least one member of his pack.

Do you mind? Taking back control, he changed course. “Issac?”

“Alpha!” Issac replied immediately, his tone an odd mix of relief and reprimand. “Where have you been? Marcus has half the pack out looking for you, and Alex is about ready to march into the upper village and demand answers!”

“He's what?” Blake groaned inwardly. “Don't let him do that, I'm fine.”

“Where are you?”

“I'm heading for the border. I need to get Hannah back to Doc as soon as possible.” They needed to figure out how to help her shift back so he could reassure himself she was truly okay.

“You found her? –“ Blake could feel the beaming grin in his voice. “– I'll send for a car.”

“That's... not going to work.” He glanced at the she-wolf at his side. “We'll make our way back on foot. Tell Marcus to concentrate his efforts on –"

“Through no man's land?” Issac interrupted incredulously. “With all due respect, Alpha, No. I don't think so. Not alone.”

“We'll be perfectly safe, he argued, eager to get going. Help round up any rogues that survived the –"
“I'm heading towards you now,” the stubborn warrior declared. “There are still rogues out there that want Hannah dead, and every one of them would love to see you fall alongside her.”

“He makes a valid point,” Rothan murmured.

“Issac,” Blake protested in a voice filled with frustration. “I need to get her to Doc. I haven't got time to wait for an escort.”

“Is she hurt?”

“No, not exactly...

The she-wolf sat herself down right in the middle of a patch of ferns. The long tendrils climbed up her thick fur to tickle at her ears making them twitched constantly, and she half-heartedly snapped at the ends with needle-sharp teeth.

“... But, she's not herself, either.”

“Elmwood has a pack doctor.” Issac suggested. “Why can't he help?”

“Because I won't take her back to that village.” She'd been there enough to last a lifetime already.

“Understood,” Issac agreed placidly. “But you're not crossing that border by yourself.”

“Remember who you're talking to, Issac,” Blake snapped, a sharp edge to his voice.

“I always remember, Alpha,” Issac murmured, respect filling his tone. “But answer to the pack as well as to you. What do you think Alex will do to me if you came to harm because I let wander off into no man's land alone? Or Marcus for that matter?”

Rothan sniffed. What indeed?

Sensing his stubborn Alpha would continue to argue, Issac offered a solution. “Remember the oak we waited by on our diplomatic mission?”

Blake snorted in impatience. “Of course.”

“Wait there. I'll bring their doctor to you.”

There was a brief silence while Blake tried to think of a single argument his warrior might listen to.

“Your alternative is that the entire pack abandons Elmwood and heads out to escort you both home,” Issac reasoned firmly. “If you think Marcus or Alex will allow you to –"

“Alright, alright, I get the point,” Blake grumbled. “We'll wait. But don't take too long. Oh, and Issac?”
“Yes, Alpha?”

“Tell my lieutenants to help stamp out what remains of the fires. And keep an eye out for Meagan,” he added as an afterthought. “He got away from us.”

“Pity,” Issac murmured. “I'll see what I can do.

I'd rather Doc saw her first, Blake grumbled to his wolf once he closed the link.

This will be quicker.

Blake let out a huff of displeasure. Never thought I'd hear you as the voice of reason, he complained.

Neither did I, Rothan said dryly.

The auburn wolf let out a low whine as though she could sense his frustration.

He flicked his ears in reassurance, then headed east towards the oak tree. She followed once again, keeping just enough distance between them to avoid touching.

You sensed the bond ages ago, didn't you? he asked quietly as they padded along.

I sensed something, Rothan admitted. But I didn't know it was her until we found her scent.

Why didn't you say anything?

What could you have done? You were right. Syrus needed to be neutralised. Besides, even then I just knew that she needed us. It wasn't until I felt her shift that I understood.

A short while later, settled by the old, gnarled tree, Blake watched with amusement as she investigated a line of ants climbing the broad trunk. A curious, but overly aggressive sniff and one flew up her nose, leaving her sneezing repeatedly and swiping at her muzzle with an embarrassed paw. A bubble of laughter rose up in him and he realised he hadn't been this happy since she'd last been at his side.

Time passed and the sun continued to rise with just enough warmth to burn the frost from the ground, leaving a low-lying mist that hovered just above the carpet of pine needles. Taking shelter from the damp amongst the raised roots, they sat together, not touching but close enough to feel the heat rising from their bodies.

He only tore his eyes from her only when the sound of movement grew closer through the ttrees. Moving out into the open, a quick probe of the link confirmed it was Issac, oddly in human form, accompanied by an elderly gentleman and... Alex. Blake sighed. He should have guessed Issac would have gained some company on the way.

That's true.

Oh, hush.

The she-wolf raised her head, looking automatically to Blake to gauge his reaction. Seeing no concern in his body language she yawned, and then moved to sit next to him, waiting patiently for whatever came next.

The relief in Alex's eyes when he caught sight of his Alpha was clear. When he registered the she-wolf by his side they widened in sudden understanding, and he broke out in a massive grin.

They stopped at a respectful distance and Issac bowed his head. “Sorry Alpha, it took longer than expected.”

“Would have taken longer, but your Gamma practically carried me most of they way.” The old man's voice was soft and slow, like a grandfather talking to a child, and he had a gentle smile designed to put everyone at ease. “He seemed a mite eager to get here in a hurry.”

“This is – ” Issac glanced at the old man. “I'm sorry, I didn't ask your name.”

“My name? Oh.” He blinked and paused for so long Blake began to wonder if he'd forgotten it. “Oh yes, I'm Jeramiah. It's been a long time since I had to introduce myself to anybody.” And he chuckled amiably to himself at the novelty of it all.

I didn't see you during my visit, Blake said, and Issac translated.

“Oh, you wouldn't have. The Alpha makes a point of keeping me hidden from the world as much as possible. Over the years I have proved to be... how do you say it?” he asked Alex, before answering his own question. “Oh yes, a proverbial pain in the butt. I did have the displeasure of treating the result of Meagan's tantrum that night though.” Jeramiah looked at the Alpha thoughtfully. “Nicely handled by the way, the Alpha was furious.”

Blake nodded, unsure what to make of this pack doctor.

Alex smirked following his train of thought. “I get the impression he doesn't get out much.”

You don't say? Rothan murmured.

“You didn't shift?” Blake asked them.

“He err... doesn't shift,” Issac muttered.

“Not for years,” the doctor agreed amiably. “The Alpha and I have something of an understanding. I remain in human form, and within pack borders... and he stops trying to poison all my meals." He chuckled again.

“You do realise Syrus is dead, right?” Alex asked.

“Yes, yes, so the tell me. But I've learnt over the years to wait to see the proof with my own eyes before acting in it." He gave Blake a meaningful look. "You never know when the dead will suddenly come back to life. Now." He placed his bag on the floor and addressed the black wolf directly. "Much as I have a great deal of respect for you, my pack is crying out for medical assistance and I have few nurses to take the strain. What can I do?"

Blake offered a brief explanation of Hannah's unusual situation via the link, which Issac relayed swiftly to the Doctor.

“Fascinating,” he murmured examining the she-wolf from a respectful distance. For a moment he sounded so much like Doc that Blake had to resist the urge to look around for him. “She doesn't seem to be in any distress... no obvious injuries. Could do with a bit of a clean up I suppose, but other than that..."

The she-wolf let out a huff of disgust.

“It's the smoke,” Jeramiah explained, addressing her directly. “It lingers in the fur for weeks if you let it.”
She flicked her ears again, and repositioned herself to keep a closer eye on him.

“She's not impressed,” Issac helpfully translated.

“Apparently not,” Jeramiah murmured. “Let's see. I assume we want her to return to human form?”

Blake nodded.

“Well, she's unlikely to do that unless she feels safe enough. Have you tried shifting?"

Issac listened to Blake's explanation with an expression of increasing concern. "He didn't think it wise. She doesn't remember him, and he's worried shifting might scare her even more... I'm inclined to agree. She has Alpha blood. If she attacks, she could do some real damage before we can stop her."

Jeramiah pursed his lips. “A little disorientation and confusion is to be expected in such circumstances. What she needs is information. Someone she trusts to reassure her that the danger to her has passed." He glanced at the two Blackridge wolves. "It has passed, hasn't it?"

“Define passed,” Blake murmured. Between the unknown whereabouts of Meagan and Macleiry, and the rogues that were presumably still hunting her...

Issac paused a moment before replying out loud: “She's safe with us.”

Blake grunted. “What makes him think she'll trust me?”

She followed you this far didn't she?” Jeramiah replied after Issac filled him in. "Look, we must assume that this wolf has all the memories her human counterpart was missing, and missing all, or at least most of, the memories experienced after her injury, yes?”

Blake continued to look unconvinced, and the Doctor let out a patient sigh almost identical to the one used by Doc whenever a patient failed to follow his reasoning.

“She's an intelligent wolf,” he tried again. “She clearly understands everything I'm saying, and she didn't immediately freak out when two humans appeared. Without some connection to her other half, she'd have fled already. Or attacked. Logic suggests the human half is trapped in much the same way now as her wolf was earlier. So, following logic, we must assume that her wolf will be able to sense Hannah's positive feelings towards you just as she sensed her wolf's warnings.” He gave the Alpha a serious look. “The real question isn't whether this wolf recognises you or not, it's whether you believe Hannah trusts you enough to convey that to her wolf. If you do, shift."

“I'm not sure about this, Alpha,” Issac said. “I'd feel better if I shifted first, just in case.”

The she-wolf let out a snort of irritation, her lip curling in the first hint of a warning snarl.

“Or maybe not,” he quickly retracted.

“Oh yeah, she understands us alright,” Alex smiled.

She turned her head back towards Blake and gazed at him steadily.

He took a deep breath and, hoping he'd correctly interpreted the challenge in her eyes, shifted. Approaching slowly, her lowered himself on one knee in front of her. "Hannah?"

She stopped looking him up and down, and turned her eyes to his, a twitch of her tail suggesting she understood.

"Syrus is dead," he told her, keeping his voice low and steady. "The rogues are fleeing, and the Macleirys are..."

How do I word this? he asked his wolf.

Gone? Rothan suggested. She gave them the slip at some point. They either fled or fell foul of something during their pursuit. Permanently, with any luck.

"Gone," Blake continued.

At the sound of their name, a low growl had erupted from the she-wolf's chest, hatred filling her eyes.

Well, she remembers that much anyway, Rothan murmured.

Blake edged forward, trying to convey as much sincerity as he could through his voice alone. "Hannah, you're safe. You're both safe with me. Come home to me my darling and I promise you, we will figure this out."

The she-wolf stood up and closed the gap between them, settling as close as she could get without sitting directly on his lap. Leaning in, her cold nose pressed against his neck, right next to his pulse point.

He moved his head to one side, exposing his neck to her teeth and closed his eyes, showing her his trust also.

Then, her decision made, she leaned in to rest her entire head on his shoulder.

Tentatively he reached out to touch her, allowing his hands to graze across her fur and around her shoulders. He felt the shift as it happened, his arms closing in as her form shrank and course fur was replaced by soft, warm skin. He opened his eyes to meet a pair of vivid emerald orbs staring up at him from within a halo of fiery curls.

Thank the Goddess!

“Hello,” he smiled.

“Hello,” Hannah murmured, her lips parting into a beautiful smile of recognition, "What took you so long?" Then she burrowed herself deep into his shoulder and promptly fell asleep.

He raised worried eyes to Jeramiah.

“Shifting really takes it out of you,” Jeremiah beamed. “Especially if you haven't done it in a while. Soft bed, good meal. Fluids. She'll be fine. I'm sure your pack doctor can work out the details. Now, I've really got to get back." He turned to go, then paused, a small frown on his face. “Just out of curiosity, I don't suppose you have a cure for that noxious substance you let loose all over our forest do you?”

Alex had the good grace to blush. “Oh. erm... sorry about that. I believe Marcus had some success with baking soda. He rubbed it into the fur...”

“Baking soda you say? hmm... Imagine that. I'll send out for supplies. Don't you worry, I'll find my own way back." And he ambled off into the forest, looking for all the world like he was out for an afternoon stroll.

“So, are all pack doctors exactly like Doc then?” Issac wondered, watching his retreat.

"They do seem to share certain unique mannerisms, yes." Blake murmured. He stood up, once again holding Hannah in his arms. “One of you ought to follow him. I doubt he's up to fighting rogues.”

Issac shot the Gamma a hopeful look.

“Don’t look at me,” Alex said. “I carried him here.”

Blake's lip twitched. “Then you go borrow a car,” he ordered. “It’s time to go home.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.6K 907 49
"This is how it should be, I belonged in his arms and he in mine." Rose Lockheart is the only one of her kind, that she knows of anyway. She isn't h...
783K 26K 37
Cassandra is the youngest child to the alpha of the Blue Silver Pack by three minutes. Unlike her older twin brother, Nicholas, she is wild, goofy an...
117K 4.1K 33
"- Have you figured it out? He asks me as he manages to place one of his hands on my face before he traces it down my neck, past my chest and down to...
13K 908 110
When I locked my gaze with hers, everything became clearer. While my wolf screamed 'Mate' in my head with joy and excitement. I whispered with despai...