Chosen

By JustLettingGo

She was chosen to be the Iron Defender. She was chosen to be in a team who controls the future of humanity. H... More

Chosen
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Announcements
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Author's Note
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Postscript
Acknowledgments

Chapter Twenty-Five

3K 181 248
By JustLettingGo

Chapter Twenty-Five: Getting the Band Back Together

"I had a nightmare. Believe me when I tell you nobody ever dies in their dreams." -Aerosmith: Nine Lives.

 Today I am the designated lab rat. Am I the testing subject by choice today? No. Am I the most athletic of the science crew? Yes. Do I believe that Tony is making me do more testing than necessary just for his enjoyment? Oh, heck yes.

 The Starwing suits were cleared for operation this morning. It didn't take but a full day of testing to the spacesuits to declare that they are safe to be in space. Tony, Bruce, Alex, and I were more than happy to report to Director Coulson that we are able to into space at any time given.

 Now that the suits are operation ready we have a bit of free time. The team decided to add to the informational report on the Starwing suits. To do so, we are testing the equipment's physical endurance. We have set up shop in the S.H.I.E.L.D. training facility across the street from the headquarters. The building has an expansive training room and gym. It is three levels with all type of equipment. Anything that could possibly help you exercise S.H.I.E.L.D. has it here. There is even a rock climbing wall that passes through all three floors. This place makes your YMCA look like a high school weight room.

 Even though we have free time, Director Coulson gave us a time restraint. He did not want us to be isolated for too long. Today is the also day the new recruits are supposed to arrive. The director does not want to waste any time to get to going over the full mission plan as soon as everyone is here. Not to mention if you do not give Tony and Bruce a time limit they will never stop.

 "Okay, let's pick up the pace," Tony says as Alex turns up the speed on the treadmill.

 "You guys have all of the data you need; you're just having fun now," I groan as sweat drips off of my face. As much as I am complaining, I still run on the moving track. I have been running for at least half of an hour now with Alex intermittently increasing the speed when instructed. I doubt I would be complaining about such running, but with all of the other exercises I have been doing as their dancing lab monkey has physically drained me.

 "Now why would we do that?" Tony retorts as he looks down at his tablet.

 "We do actually need to know how fast you can run in the suit," Bruce pushes his glasses up on his nose, "Along with other physical abilities."

 "I know, I know," I pant as I try to keep up with the pace. I hold the helmet in my arms as I really don't want to wear it while nearly sprinting. It is not like I will be doing such a vigorous workout in space. As long as I have all of the weight on me, their tests will be accurate.

 It is not but a few minutes later I feel the track slowing down. I bend over and rest my hands on my knees to try to catch my breath when the ground completely stops moving. My side aches as my lungs have been pushed to their limit today. I cough out a wheeze and briefly worry if I may be revisiting everything I have eaten recently.

 "Whoops, we didn't record the data. We have to run it again," Tony clicks his tongue.

 "Sucks for you," I wipe my forehead with a towel.

 "You can't run for another minute?" Tony mocks.

 "Not for you," I throw my sweaty towel at him.

 "Eugh," Tony makes a disgusted face as he throws the towel back at me.

 "Don't listen to him, Monica," Bruce speaks up, "We have everything we need."

 "Do I ever listen to him?" I ask as I step off of the machine.

 "Ha, you and me both," The corner of Bruce's lips curl upward.

 Tony gripes and asks if anyone listens to him. Not one word is said in response from me, Alex, or Bruce. Tony throws up his hands and mutters something inaudibly. If I was not so winded right now I would probably throw some sarcastic response his way, but instead only a wheezy laugh comes from my lips.

 It feels good to be able to laugh again. I did not enjoy being unlike my usual self where I could not find amusement in the joys of life. Getting out of Oakley and being occupied with the Starwing suits and all of the business of S.H.I.E.L.D. has forced me to get my mind off of the bombing and my grandparents' death. Even though I am far from accepting their deaths, I am now functional. I am no longer dwelling on the tragedy but forcing myself to climb over it. The peak is still way above my head, but I have started the daunting ascent. I will get myself out of this pit.

 I call it a day as I do not have it in me to run anymore tests. My leg and arms shake and the muscles feel tight with lactic acid. I also catch a glimpse of the clock on the wall. We have been here for almost four hours now and we are pushing Director Coulson's time limit. If we do not head across the street soon I would not be surprised if the director sends someone over to collect us. Phil is stressed enough with this unprecedented mission that it would be rude of us to worry him any more.

 We cross the deserted street to the headquarters. We are admitted back down to the bunker. I leave the men to report to Director Coulson so I can go shower in the locker room. I have to peel the disgusting, dirtied S.H.I.E.L.D. suit off of my body. I am never, ever agreeing to be the lab rat for my dad and Bruce again. They say "a few physical tests" but really mean "we're trying to kill you." 

 After I am sweat-free, I go to join up with Alex, Tony, and Bruce. However, I cannot find them. I believe they are still with the director. I do not want to interrupt their meeting now as that would be rude. I decide to find someone else to keep me company.

 Half of the crew lounges in the bunk room with the other in the front conference room. Captain Rogers and Bucky converse in one corner. A small group of agents keep to themselves in the other. I notice Thor is by himself drinking a cup of coffee. I take to his side and spark a conversation. Thor is a fun man to talk to. I doubt there is ever a dull moment as we talk.

 Thor is asking me about a previous mission when we hear the elevator doors open. Thor does not know who it is as no one besides the science crew has left the bunker; it must be time for the new recruits to arrive. It is not a moment later when a fierce, black-haired woman appears out of the hallway.

 "Where's Coulson?" Agent May struts into the room.

 "In his chambers," Thor answers while pointing to one of the doors.

 May nods once before walking to the implied direction. All chatter ceases until she has exited the room.

 "She's a character," Thor comments.

 "Something like that," I chuckle. Agent May is a different character all of her own.

 "Sif spoke very highly of her. She said that Lady May was a very worthy ally."

 "What..?"

 "Sif had to hunt a female seductress named Lorelei and chased her to Midgard. Director Coulson and his team connected with Sif and worked together to defeat the foe."

 "Whoa, I did not know that," I reply as it sounds like a very interesting story, "Maybe in my free time I should just read past mission reports. I could know what other agents were talking about... And maybe I could learn something from them."

 "That may be a benefitting use of your time," Thor nods.

 Before either of us can say anything else, we hear the elevator open again. "Hey, daddy is in the house!" A voice shouts from down the hall, "I'm back, baby."

 "Aw, no!" Steve groans but laughs as he stamps his foot as Sam enters the room, "Go away!"

 "Hell no, man, I'm an Avenger now!" Sam opens his arms out.

 "We're doomed; the earth is screwed," Steve cries out.

 "Look at you, using modern terms and stuff," Sam man-hugs Steve.

 "Seriously, what was Coulson thinking when he recruited you?"

 "That the team needs more good-looking men that can kick ass, that's what he was thinking."

 Steve's eyes squint shut as he lets out a laugh. Sam slaps him on the back. He embraces Bucky in a light-hearted masculine squeeze too. "Good to see you, Monica, Thor," Sam hugs me.

 "It is fair to see you too, Son of Wil," Thor shakes his hand.

 "I better go find the director and tell him I'm here," Sam excuses himself.

 Steve leaves to show his friend where the head man is. Thor and I resume chatting. Bucky joins us as he was abandoned by Steve who he was talking to. It is not long before the elevator is in use again. This time it is easy to identify recruits by their bantering before you even see them.

 "No! You aren't going into space. Director Coulson was very clear about that!" The female voice exasperates.

 "But how awesome would that be? Or, what if we got a monkey a spacesuit? A monkey would be perfect for this mission!" The other voice sounds overly excited, "They could sneak in and blow up the ship!"

 Thor and Bucky look confused at what the possible conversation could be about, but for me I can easily recognize the couple that is walking down the hallway. Plus this is an argument that will push his buttons.

 "Yeah, the monkey could still find a way to rip your face off even with the helmet on!" I shout in the direction of the hallway. He pauses a second before replying.

 "Oh, shut up, Monica!" He shouts back as the couple appears.

 "Oh, please, not this again," Jemma sighs.       

 Fitz begins to say something else but his eyes fall on one of the men standing next to me. He stops in his tracks as his mouth falls open. Simmons walks a few steps ahead before she notices. Her reaction mirrors the one of her boyfriend's. It takes me a moment until I remember the two have dreamed of meeting Thor.

 "Oh my..." Fitz's eyes are the size of Jupiter.

 "Is this real?" Simmons asks.

 "Uh..." Bucky looks back and forth between Thor and I.

 "Thor," I elbow him, "They are big fans of you. Big fans."

 "No, no!" The two immediately start clamoring, "We are just fascinated with you and your... science."

 "Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone has wanted to discuss what is foreign to you with me. We do have a bit of time, don't we?" Thor looks at me as if he is asking permission.

 "No, no," My eyes widen as Fitz-Simmons's faces light up in pure excitement, "They need to go check in with Director Coulson. He will be ticked if you hold up Fitz-Simmons."

 "Aw, damn it, why do you have to be right?" Fitz snaps his fingers as Simmons's shoulders slump.

 "Another time, maybe? Before, you know, you have to go up to Asgard," Simmons looks at Thor with a poorly calm facade over her eager and energetic self, "We really do have to check in with Director Coulson. He would be completely displeased with us if we didn't! He told us to meet directly with him as soon as we arrived. He was very clear that no time should be wasted."

 "Say no more, it troubles no one to wait longer," Thor chuckles.

 "So, definitely later, right?" Fitz clarifies.

 Thor nods and agrees much to Fitz-Simmons's delight. I point to Director Coulson's office which is where they need to go. The pair happily bounds off chattering about Thor. Their enthusiasm makes me smile.

 It is not long before Daisy and Tripp find themselves many stories below ground with us. They too have to meet with the director. Daisy keeps looking back at Thor as she walks towards the door. Tripp has to pull her along.

 "Looks like someone is popular with the ladies," Bucky smirks, "And Fitz..."

 "Yeah, I mean the way you grab woman and shake them violently when they want to kill everyone in the room! Oh wait..." I trail off at my own joke.

 "I did what I must," Thor smiles lightly.

 "Oh! And you are such the charmer with men! Kicking them like a fucking ninja in the balls is what every guy wants! Oh wait..." Bucky turns my joke back on me.

 "I did was I thought I must," I shrug.

 We continue chatting for a bit longer with no more interruptions. I assume that no more recruits are scheduled to arrive. I cannot think of anyone else who is supposed to come. However, one last man shows up and I couldn't be happier.

 "Hey! Uncle Rhodey," I smile when Colonel Rhodes walks into the room.

 "Hey, Monica," He side hugs me.

 "Who roped you into this?" I look up at him.

 "Who ropes me into everything?" He retorts. I reply that obviously it was my dad. He agrees before he shakes hands with Thor and Bucky.

 Over the course of time that I have been living with my dad, I have gotten to really know Rhodey. He is such a huge part of my dad's life that it would be surprising if he did not become at least a little part of mine. One time when he was over it was somehow brought up how it was a bit disheartening that I do not have any aunts or uncles. James jokingly said that he would be my honorary uncle since he is like a brother to Tony, but it stuck. He is now Uncle Rhodey to me and that is just how it is.

 Just like the previous guests, I begin to instruct him to Director Coulson's office. James only takes a few steps away from me when the door opens. Director Coulson appears with his regular team behind him.  

 "Oh, good, you're here," Phil comments when he sees Colonel Rhodes.

 "Right on time, sir," Rhodey nods once.

 "Do you have the plan ready, sir?" Bucky questions.

 "I do indeed. If someone wouldn't mind gathering everyone up, we have to go over a plan on how to save the planet."

_______________

Dedication to @marvel_addicted_ <3

Love you guys!

x JLG

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

316K 7.5K 81
"He may had her heart in the beginning, but that doesn't mean he has her heart in the end." Includes: Iron Man Iron Man 2 Thor The Avengers Iron Man...
486K 19.6K 33
This is her chance to do what she's always wanted to do. This is her chance to make a difference and help other people. This is his chance to be who...
261K 7.7K 85
❝Whatever happens, just know that I never stopped trying.❞ . . .in which she must do whatever she can to protect the world and what's left of the one...
1.3K 53 40
Kennedy Rogers nee Barnes deified all odds when she joined the U.S Army. She was proving people wrong and making enemies along the way. She thought...