Ishqbaaaz : The Return of Obr...

By Lakshmi1099

Highest rank #21 on 09/02/2018 in fanfictions. 7 years have passed since that fateful day. The day when the f... More

Author speaking ;)
Prologue
Shivaay
Shivika
Rudra
Rumya
Omkara
Rikara
Dadi
Flashback.
Flashback 2
The truth.
Fear.
Memories and more..
Journeys.
The dilemma.
When the past comes knocking.
New beginnings
Relations
Home Sweet Home(Part A)
Home Sweet Home(Part B)
Morning stress.
Conspiracies
Bonds.
The meet.
Confrontations
Introductions.
Revelations.
Lost in time.
Forgive and Forget?
The Welcome.
When the unexpected happens.
The Breaking News.
The mastermind's plan.
Suspicions.
The rise.
Untitled
The call.
Choices and Consequeces
Preparations
The past.
The Homecoming.
Homecoming (Part B)
Relations?
Continue??
Conflicts.
Mine.
I've got your back,Di
Outside the bubble.
The limit
The ties that bind

The party.

4.2K 387 116
By Lakshmi1099

7 years away from the Oberoi mansion and Shivaay had almost forgotten how chaotic their party preparations could become. All the Oberoi staff were running here and there finalizing the preparations for the party and making last minute changes to them.

The conversation with his father left Shivaay stewing. He knew that he needed a minute alone to clear his head. Today's party was all about repairing the image of the Oberoi family. Of them presenting an united front in front of the entire world.He couldn't afford to go in to this party with such a foul mood especially since there were already so many rumors about him.

Unfortunately it looked like the universe was determined to not let him have a moment alone. There were people everywhere. He was thinking of going upstairs when he saw his mother descend down the grand staircase all decked up in a shimmery salwar with equally shimmery hair accessories. After dealing with his father and his tone-deaf comments,Shivaay knew that he didn't have enough patience left in him to deal with his mother right now. So he took out his phone, ducked his head and stalked out of the hall,hoping that he could escape to his room before his mother noticed him. As he reached his room, the sight that greeted him made him forget all the irritation and anger he was feeling mere moments ago.

He saw his wife sitting in front of the dressing table, fastening her earrings. She was dressed in a black saree with a heavily sequenced blouse. The small stones in embroidery of the saree twinkled like stars. Bathed in the golden light, Anika looked like a goddess. Shivaay felt a sense of calm spread over his whole body at her sight. Anika had laughed at him when he once told her that she was his home. She thought that he was being poetic and shit,but only Shivaay knew that he was only telling her the literal truth. His wife didn't have an inkling about the kind of effect she has on him.

Sensing him at the door, Anika stood up from the chair and smoothened her saree."Kaisi lg rhi hoon? Is it good? Zyaada toh nhi ho gya na?"

When a awe-stricken Shivaay did not reply, Anika thought that it was because of her saree completely unaware about her husband's direction of thoughts.

"Is it looking bad? Is it the saree or is it me? Yh jewelry zyaada ho gya kya?" Anika questioned by looking at herself in the mirror. It was then that he realised that he had not answered his wife's question. Shaking his head at his clueless wife, Shivaay walked to her and wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him.

"Do you know what your problem is? You literally have no idea how gorgeous you are. You could be wearing a sack and you will still be the most gorgeous woman I have ever laid eyes on."

As Anika looked Shivaay through their reflection in the mirror, her breath got caught in her throat. It was an expression which was a mixture of awe, love and adoration. It was a expression of someone totally in love. Shivaay Singh Oberoi was always a man of few words but through the years of their marriage Anika had discovered that Shivaay's expressions gave away more than what his words could ever articulate. For the world, Shivaay was a cold emotionless businessman who always had an air of aloof detachment around him, but in front of her he was like an open book. He literally had no defenses infront of her.

Anika turned around to face him and pressed a light peck to his lips. She chuckled at her husband's visible disappointment when she did not deepen the kiss but they had a party to attend and no time to waste.

"By the way I thought you be wearing your power outfit today" Shivaay said in a playful tone. Anika raised her eyebrows, confused at the unfamiliar term."

"My power outfit?"

"Yes,your jeans and your off shoulder top,complete with your Chandni and Chameli" They both shared a smile at all the times she had locked horns with him in the past.

Shaking her head at her past antics, Anika continued to fiddle with her bracelets clasp. "Yes I was thinking of wearing it but I couldn't because of two reasons." Shivaay wordlessly took her hand and expertly fastened the clasp of the bracelet. "Reason no 1 was that I am no longer just Anika. I am Mrs Anika Shivaay Singh Oberoi, the eldest bahu of the Oberoi Khandaan and I don't want to embarrass anybody especially since I have an image to uphold. "she said while playfully poking Shivaays'chest.

Shivaay frowned at her words. This was exactly what he didn't want. Growing up as the eldest Oberoi of his generation, everyone around him had a load of expectations from him. Shivaay Singh Oberoi was everything they expected out of him but somewhere down the line he had forgotten his own true self. He was so invested in becoming what people wanted of him that he forgot who he was in the first place. This kind of life was exactly what he didn't want for Anika or Naira. He wanted them to be them, not pretend to be someone else ultimately forgetting who they were originally. Shivaay was just about to vocalize his thoughts when Anika silenced him with a finger on his lips.

"I know what you are going to say but let me tell you my second reason. Reason no 2 is that I may not know a lot about the Oberoi family but I know for a fact that every socialite from the business world will be in attendance. There will be a lot of press coverage and people will be curious about what we are wearing. So, I decided to wear one of the pieces from the collection that Jashn will be launching next month. There will be a general curiosity about my saree and that means *drumrolls please*, Free advertising "Anika finished with a beaming smile on her face.

Shivaay rolled his eyes at his wife's animated expressions. Her enthusiasm was contagious."Ohh. Smart plan I like it!!"

"Of course I am smart. After all I learnt from the best!" Anika explained and Shivaay felt a sense of pride.

"But on a serious note. These people are like vicious vipers. Today you may have to hear a lot of back handed comments from them. Ignore them and if it gets too much just give it back to them. Don't keep quiet just because you want to keep my image. You can chuck a glass of water over their heads for all I care."

"Relax Shivaay. It won't be as bad as you are imagining and besides, I have learnt to deal with such kind of people."

"I am not doubting you Anika but you have to realize that there is a difference today. All these years., you were just Anika but today you area part of the Oberoi family. That itself is reason enough for some of them to not like you."

"Exactly Shivaay. I am an Oberoi and this is our home ground. Nobody is that brazen to come to the Oberoi mansion and insult an Oberoi. Besides I have so many people around me. I have Badi maa, Pinky aunty, you, Gauri, Saumya and so many other. I am going to be fine."Shivaay knew that she had a point.This party was one of the best case scenarios for Anika's introduction to their circles. Even if it didn't guarantee a complete protection from the viciousness, it would act as buffer to soften out the harshness. The rest he knew his Paanika could handle.

Shivaay knew that everyone who walked in through the door would view Anika through a lens of their own prejudice once they come to know of her Naam Khoon Khandaan or the lack thereof. He too was a part of this very same circle and he knew that it was ingrained in their very being from childhood- the importance of Naam Khoon Khandan. If only they knew the real Anika they would be able to hate her.

"I know and I trust you Anni." Shivaay placed his hands on her shoulders." Waise, I have a fabulous backup plan. I will ask Khanna to arrange for some cow dung so that in case our plan A of chucking water over their heads doesn't work you can just throw a handful of gobar at them. What say?"

Anika burst of laughing at his absurd plans and Shivaay treasured that sound. He didn't know what would happen today but there was one thing he knew for sure, he would do anything to make sure that nobody robs this precious woman of her sunshine personality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The party was a huge success. Tej was confident that this would go down as the event of the years in Mumbai's business circle. It would tell the world, that the Oberoi's were still the alphas in the business world. Even though his mother had practically arm twisted him into throwing and hosting this party, he didn't regret it at all.The past few years has definitely not been a smooth sailing for the Oberoi industries. Even Tej had to admit that they had made many crucial mistakes in these seven years, which resulted in them losing out on a lot of deals. His personal scandals and the rumors of an internal rift between the Oberois didnot help their cause at all. In short, the current condition of the Oberoi group was not what he had envisioned.

What they needed right now were some fresh deals and new investments. For that to happen, Tej knew that he had to get an image makeover and what better way to do that than to play the perfect family man in the party that they were hosting.

Tej was brought out his thoughts, when he spotted Mr Bhalla make his entrance to the party. Surprise would be an understatement to what he felt now. Mr Bhalla owned the Aarti group and they owned some of the key properties in the hotspot tourist destinations across India. A tie-up between the them and the Oberoi resorts would be beneficial to both of them. It was just the kind of deal that would bring their hospitality branch's profit margins back on track. The only problem in this ideal scenario was Mr Bhalla himself. Unlike Tej,Mr Bhalla believed that partnerships shouldn't be based solely on numbers but on ideals too and that was exactly where they fell short. His personal life was a stark contrast to Mr Bhalla's, who was in-out family man. He even named his group after his wife- Aarti. So Tej had almost given up on that deal until the man himself decided to turn up to their party.

Now that he was here, Tej was confident that he will be able to convince the man to consider their deal by the end of this party. Excusing himself from his current group and subtly signaling Shakti to join him, Tej weaved him way through the crowd to welcome Mr Bhalla.

"Mr Bhalla. Welcome to the Oberoi mansion."Tej beamed in glee.

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr Oberoi. This party is definitely the talk of town and it would be a shame to miss it."

"Oh!Its just a family get-together. And..Meet my brother.Shakti Singh Oberoi."Tej introduced

Shakti extended his hand for a handshake."Its a pleasure to meet you Mr Bhalla. I am glad that you could make it to our party."

"Shakti Singh Oberoi. You have no idea for how long I wanted to meet you,Mr Shakti."Mr Bhalla exclaimed as he shook Shakti's hand. Shakti was confused to say the least.Why would someone like Mr Bhalla want to meet him?

Before they could voice out their confusion, Shivaay joined them,"Mr Bhalla!! What a pleasant surprise!!"Shivaay exclaimed as he shook hands with Mr Bhalla."I didnt know that you were attending this party."

"I would have loved to say the same Shivaay but I am afraid that would be far from the truth."Mr Bhalla replied with a smile.

Turning to Shakti he continued." A few years ago, he came to my office with a business venture proposal. A partnership. He had the whole roadmap of the venture sketched down to the T and all he needed was a portion of the investment to make it into a reality. I have to admit that I did not give his proposal a fair chance. I mean, it was an ideal proposal. His profit estimates were good and he had a solid plan in place to net in the proposed profit. But I was a little skeptical, you know with all the rumors around him at that time. So, I refused it."

Shakti looked at his son whose expression gave nothing away. But as someone who has seen him since day one, Shakti could pick out the slight turning up of the corner of his lips into a barely noticeable smirk.

"Today, his group Ayka owns one of the fastest growing hospitality chains in the world. Its growth has truly been remarkable. If I am not wrong, it is your first branch in India."

"Yes, its our hospitality chain's first venture in India but Ayka's other brands have already been launched in the past few years." Shivaay added.

"That's wonderful. You must be very proud of him, Mr Shakti."

Even without looking at his brother, Shakti could feel his brother's thunderous mood but even that couldn't stop him from feeling proud of his son. Shakti acknowledged Mr Bhalla's remark with a smile. But Tej was not at all pleased with the sudden turn of events. This was not how this conversation was supposed to go. It was supposed to be his chance to shine. To finally convince Mr Bhalla and strike a partnership with him for their upcoming venture. Listening to Mr Bhalla showering Shivaay with praises was definitely not his to-do list for the day.

Clearing his throat, Tej attempted to steer the conversation back on track.

"About the new project that Aarti group is planning. It is a very ambitious project and has a lot of potential. Only the large groups with extensive staff and resources would be able to successfully handle a project of this scale."

"Yes. It a very special project for me and it is challenging one too. But like other partnerships I am not just considering the financial side of the deal but so many other factors too. I have received quite a few proposals and we are looking into each of them. If I am not mistaken, both Ayka and the Oberoi group are interested in this deal." Mr Bhalla said unaware that it was news to both the parties involved. Shivaay, Tej and Shakti looked at each other in surprise.

Unaware of the sudden tension that developed in the conversation, Mr Bhalla joked." Let's just say- May the best company win." All the other three participants chuckled half-heartedly while their minds raced at hundred miles per hour. It was the first time they were going against each other. While Tej and Shivaay were brainstorming the ways to ensure this deal, Shakti felt dread pool in his stomach. Why was history repeating itself? Why were they being pitted against each other again?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was customary for the mothers-in-law to introduce their daughter-in-law to their social circle. But since her Mother -in-law, Pinky was pre-occupied with her Ex-Almost-DIL Tia and her mother Mrs Kapoor, Jhanvi took it upon herself to introduce Anika to their group. While she had met each of these ladies with their husbands, when she was with Shivaay, Anika knew that their true behavior would come out only when the grouped together with the other wives.

Even though she received a warm welcome complete with smiles and pleasantries, Anika could feel their curiosity through their glances. They were dying to ask her more about who she was and from what background she came from, so that they could decide her position in the power hierarchy. After all family and background was all that mattered to these women. In spite of all the obvious curiosity, no one dared ask her a single question.

It was only when Jhanvi excused herself to go in search of Dadi-ji that all hell broke loose.

Who is she?

My husband told me that she is a Deshmukh. Remember Rishabh Deshmukh...Ya!! The same one who went bankrupt a few years ago. Remember? He had a daughter and her name was Anika.

But why would Shivaay Singh Oberoi marry a girl from such a family. I am telling you that she is a Patel. They too had a daughter named Anika.

Patel makes sense. They are a reputed family with a stable business. That must be it.

Anika had to remind herself to keep calm and not react to all the not-so-quiet gossip whispering session that was happening around her. Either these ladies were fools or were totally ignorant of her presence to be gossiping about someone right in front of them. Anika's agenda for today was to keep a low profile and tide over this party as peacefully as possible.

She knew that everything about her past would serve as fodder for their gossips. In a circle where money married to money, she was definitely an anomaly. Even the Oberois married for money. Shivaay had told her that both Dadi and Badi maa came from extremely wealthy families. Even Pinky Aunty who is considered a black sheep among the Oberoi bahus came from an extremely well to do family. In the Obros generation, all of them except Gauri had no illustrious heritage to speak of. Anika had no idea about Gauri's relationship with her father, but her status as his daughter gave her a standing in their social circle. Saumya was protected because of Badi maa's status. Nobody expected to take a dig at Jhanvi Singh Oberois bahu and walk away unscathed. While Jhanvi's status protected Saumya, it was her mother in laws behavior that left Anika to the wolves.

Pinky had been sticking to Tia and Mrs Kapoor not even bothering to spare her a glance. Anika kind of expected it but it stung nevertheless. It was apparent to anyone that Pinky Singh Obeori didnot approve of her new bahu and that they had a frosty relationship. So basically, without Jhanvi and Dadi around, she had to deal with all of them single handedly. Deep breath Anika. You have basically raised yourself and Sahil. You can do this. Just hold on for a few more minutes then you can excuse yourself without being deemed rude.

"So Anika, How did you meet Shivaay?" it was Mrs Shukla who first addressed her. Anika observed that the gossip session had ended and all their eyes were trained on her. Finally somebody remembered that I am here.

"Oh!! It is a long story Mrs Shukla. I am...."

"Tell them Anika. I am sure all of them would love to hear the oh-so romantic fairytale-isque love story of yours."Mrs Kapoor interrupted her with words that were dripping of sarcasm while Pinky and Tia took their seats.

With a glint in her eyes, Tia started. "Looks like Anika is too shy to tell all of you their story. Anika was the wedding planner for my wedding with Shivaay. She was an excellent wedding planner and we had become good friends back then. It was during the wedding planning that she met Shivaay. From then it was what they say a fairytale romance."

Tia's explanation triggered an even more enthusiastic whispering gossip session. The meaning behind her words were not lost on Anika. She basically insinuated that she had stolen away Tia's fiancé. More so the groom of the wedding she was planning. Scheming bi*ch.

While she was mad at Tia, it was Pinky who infuriated her more. Pinky response to the mudslinging was to calmly take Tia's hand between her own and pat them affectionately with a small smile on her face. With a barely concealed smirk on her face, Tia turned to Anika. Even through her supposedly innocent face, her intentions were as clear as day. Tia was basically trying to goad Anika into reacting. Truthfully, the old-Anika wouldn't have had second thoughts before emptying a glass of water over Tia's head but she was not the old-Anika.

She was Anika Shivaay Singh Oberoi. She wasn't going to give Tia the satisfaction of knowing how much it affected her. So Anika simply passed a small smile to Tia and picked up her juice glass and nonchalantly sipped from it. As if nothing significant had happened.

Tia had expected Anika to respond in some way or another. Her entire plan was based on Anika's tendency to dive head first into anything that came her way. If Anika responded in any way the other, she was ready to respond and make a big drama out of it. Something that will stay on people's mind for years to come. But to her disappointment, Anika had chosen to completely ignore her comment. even the ladies got bored of it after gossiping about it for a while and moved on to juicier gossips while Anika excused herself from the group.

Anika weaved her way through the guests in search of Shivaay. Honestly speaking, she felt more comfortable with Shivaay and his business associates than she was with the wives group. At least with the former she knew what to say and when to say. Till this day, Anika thought that her Mohalle-wale aunties were the queens of gossips but today she discovered that these so-called high class ladies thrived on gossips and were a hundred times worse.

Before she could reach him,she heard a feminine voice call out.

"Anikaaaaa"

Before she could turn to properly look at that direction, she was pulled into a bone-squeezing hug by the person.

"Mallikaa"Anika called out while returning the hug.Over Mallika's shoulder she could see Shivaay and Vikram Rana approaching them.

"I missed so damn much yaar."Mallika whined still not letting go her. Mallika was well aware that their friendship was no words conventional. In an another universe, they could easily have been enemies but not in this one. While their friendship started with her running away from her wedding, they had grown so much closer in the years that followed. In a world full of fake, back stabbing friends, Anika was someone who was just herself and Mallika couldn't be more thankful for that. They have weathered a lot of storms together and now mallika could say that Anika was easily her best friend. A sister from another mother.

Both Vikram and Shivaay rolled their eyes at the saath-janam wala reunion.Anika chuckled at her dramatics and gently withdrew from the hug.

"I missed you too." Said anika truthfully.Years ago, when she had pitched in the idea of Jashn, Mallika was the one who encouraged her to pursue it seriously. She even volunteered to be the social media brand ambassador for free thus giving them free publicity and Anika couldn't be more thankful to her.

"Just look at both of you. It is like they are meeting after a decade or something. And Mallika you literally met Anika before she came to India." Vikram said not really understanding the logic behind emotional reunion that was playing out before his eyes.

"Says the person who tells me that he misses me on the very first day of a business trip!!" Mallika hit back.

"Hey!! I am your husband. Obviously, I will miss you when I am away."

"Exactly and she is my best friend!!" Mallika said while Vikram could just turn to Shivaay for help. Shivaay just shrugged his shoulders. He had long given up on trying to find logic in their friendship.

"Acha bas bas!!"Anika played the peace maker. Mallika and Vikram could biker on the randomest topic for hours."Waise where is Vihaan?"

Vihaan was Mallika and Vikram's 6yr old son. Niharika and he were born just a few months apart. Even though he was just a few months elder, Vihaan had taken the responsibility to side with Naira too seriously. And more often than not they were partners in crime for every mischief under the sun. "He rushed off to meet his best friend as soon as he stepped into the Oberoi mansion" Shivaay added chuckling at the young boy's visible enthusiasm.

"He went crazy when we told him that we were coming to India. He was so excited to meet Naira again. "Mallika chuckled while Vikram muttered under his breath. She is talking as if she was any less excited.

Rolling her eyes at her husband, Mallika pulled Anika with her after bidding Shivaay and Vikram saying" I will just go and mark my attendance with the ladies group. If we don't come back in thirty minutes feign an emergency and come rescue us from the wolves."

Mallika cursed under her breath when she saw Tia sitting near Pinky Aunty. Turning to Anika, she questioned."What the hell is Tia doing here?"

"Take a guess!"Anika replied with barely concealed anger.

Piecing the clues,together Mallika pulled Anika with her towards the group.

"What are you doing? Mein nhi jaa rhi wahan wapas."

"Just trust me Anika"

As they approached the group, they saw Pinky's expression morph into that of distaste.

After Mallika had greeted everyone, they settled back into their seats. For a few minutes, Anika felt as if peace had finally returned. They had stopped gossiping about her and everyone was busy with their own talks. But even that was not to last long. All the gossip had stopped at Mrs Agnihotri's loud proclamation.

"Ab kya bataoon aapko Ragini ji. From the moment that manhoos stepped into our life, we have had hurdles after hurdles. I always knew that she was bad news. They trapped my masoom Rocky using their charms and now they are bleeding him dry. I tell you all of them are the same. The moment they see a rich boy they cling onto him like a leech and bleed him dry."

Turning to Pinky,she continued. "Now look at Shivaay only. He had such a nice fiancé but see what happened. I really feel bad for you Mrs Oberoi. I don't know what we did in our previous life for such things to happen to our sons."

Anika was starting to loose her temper at Tia's smile. Her earlier resolve crumbling, Anika's fingers were itching to throw something at Tia to wipe off that smug grin. Maybe something at Mrs Agnihotri too. Damn I should have listened to Shivaay and poured a glass of water over Tia's head when I had the chance.

Mallika was a happy-go-lucky person. She wasn't someone who got angry easily. But today her BP was shooting through the roof. How dare they insinuate something so cheap and pathetic. Even though Ranas had a friendly relationship with the Agnihotris, Mallika could bring herself to care. She was going to give this lady a piece of her mind and if that brings up some business trouble then her husband could very well handle it. She was done being diplomatic.

Schooling her features into a neutral face, Mallika began." Things must be so hard for you right now, Mrs Agnihotri. Especially with the divorce case, the custody case and the paternity case. I hope you are coping up well amidst of all the cases and business troubles.."Mallika could see Mrs Agnihotri's face pale at her questions. She did not want to expose her families ongoing legal battles and their subsequent losses to her business circle but Mallika's statement actually put her on a spot.

"Mrs Agnihotri is such a caring soul. Even when her family is going through so many troubles, she is still so invested in looking out for the Oberoi family." Added a voice with a cold cutting tone, Jhanvi. "We are very thankful for your concerns but we will not tolerate any insult directed to our family members. I hope you will be very careful about the meaning of your words when you talk about my eldest-bahus."Jhanvi added with a cold calculated gaze which made the ladies gulp back whatever comment they were going to add to the conversation.

Anika gulped the entire contents of her juice glass in one go.

"Aree!! Take it easy Anika." Mallika said while seating herself on the nearest bar stool. "Well, it was even worse than what I imagined. I thought that since they are gurests at your place, you will be spared of some ugliness but it seems like the opposite happened. Seeing Anika stare down her empty glass while deep in her thoughts,Mallika continued.

"Hey!! Want to hear a story about the so-called masoom Rocky? Well he is one of the most notorious playboys in our circle. Basically years ago, he was engaged to his then long-time girlfriend. He then cheated on her with his secretary. Days before his wedding he had this huge public confrontation with his secretary when she told him that she was pregnant. That video somehow went viral.So the wedding got cancelled and a few months later, he married his secretary in a secret wedding. Rumor has it that she threatened to go to the media if he didn't marry her. Now she is divorcing him on infidelity. He now has a divorce case, a custody case and a paternity case from his mistress. It is an ugly mess."

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

"Just so that you know that you are nothing like anyone in that story."

"I am not worried about that. I am actually worried about Pinky Aunty. I understand that she doesn't like me but parading Tia like this, she is actually digging herself a pit and she will fall into it when Tia leaves."

"I love how you used when instead of If!!"

"Kyun? Tia will leave one day and I don't care what she does. But pinky aunty is family. I don't get what she is trying to achieve by sticking to Tia. "

"Look at you being an ideal bahu and stuff. And here I was all geared up to bitch about Tia with you!!"Mallika tried lighting Anika's mood. To be honest, this was bad. In her initial years of marriage, she did not have the best equation with her mother-in-law given the whole...running away scenario. But no matter how frosty their relationship was, her mother-in-law never let it show in public. Someone who did not know their personal relationship would not even feel something amiss if the saw them interacting in a public domain. If she was Pinky aunty, she would have put aside her differences for a day and stood with Anika when she badly needed her support. Maybe it would even have helped her regain some oof her good graces in Shivaay's eyes. But no!! Pinky aunty had to act petty and resort to openly parading Tia around as if she was the Oberoi bahu.

"But on a serious note Anika. As someone who has managed to stay alive in this circle for a few years, let me give you an advice. Know their weaknesses. All the people here have something that they do not want people to be talking about. I am not saying that you should attack someone based on their past, but when they yield your past as a weapon and attack, use theirs to counter attack. This will more often than not, make them back down."

"I thought that you would have had it easier. You have everything that is valued in this circle. Educated, successful, good family background etc etc."

"Umm.. Remember I ran away from my own wedding and that news went viral?"

"Oh yaa!! I almost forgot." Anika quipped with a smile.

"I will never forget that. Do you know how hard it is to walk wearing all that jewelry, that makeup and that 10 kg heavy lehenga. I should have been more prepared. The next time I will change before running away. That way it will be easier!!"Mallika replied in all seriousness.

Anika almost spat out her drink."THE NEXT TIME!! If you lost your memory, let me remind that you got married and you have a child. Whose wedding are you planning to run from?"

"I don't know but if Vikram keeps irritating me then probably I will run out this very party. Full on Cinderella style. What say?"

Anika could only stare at her. Not a lot of people knew that the miss prim and proper Mallika Vikram Rana was actually a total weirdo from inside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the party went by uneventfully and by the end of it everyone was tired to their bones. Naira had fallen asleep in her other room after all the running around and playing she did with her friends. After tucking her in, Anika returned to their room to find Shivaay working on his laptop by the poolside.

When she entered the room, Shivaay passed her a small smile before going back to whatever work he was doing on the laptop. Even after she had changed out her heavy saree and ppt back her pyjamas, Shivaay was still on his laptop.

"You can do this later Shivaay. You need to sleep or else you will have a headache in the morning. Phir golgappe ki tarah medicines khate rhna."Anika chided.

Shivaay smiled a little at the last sentence but went back to concentrating on his laptop. "I am just finishing up. You go to bed. Mein abhi aata hoon"

Anika sighed. If there was one thing that was the same after all these years was his stubborn nature. If he decides to do something then there is no use trying to convince him otherwise because he wont budge. But today she knew that there was more to this than just his workaholic tendencies. Shivaay was usually this concentrated only when a major deal was upcoming and something was not going his way.

Not wanting to interrupt him, Anika quietly went to back into the room. She was almost at the edge of sleep when she felt the bed beside her dip. Anika turned around and breathed in the scent of Shivaay's freshly washed kurta. Clutching a fist full of his kurta,she tugged him closer while Shivaay arms automatically went around her.

"Are you asleep?"Shivaay asked in a low whisper careful to not break the tranquility that seemed to surround them.

"Nope."Anika replied in a sleepy voice.

"How was the party? Did someone say something to you?"

That statement practically jolted Anika from her sleep. The words she wanted to forget were playing like a loop in her head. She knew that Shivaay would have to tell Shivaay someday but she that day was not today. And certain not right now. They were too tired to be talking about all the scheming and plotting.

"Later"Anika mumbled. Remembering his tensed look from earlier, Anika tried. "You looked tensed earlier. Is everything fine? Is it about a deal?"

Anika could feel Shivaay tensing at her question and for a second, she did not think that she would get an answer.

"The Oberoi group is also interested in the Aarti group's collaboration."

Well that was news to her. Although she did not know the details of the deal, she knew that this was Shivaay's step 2 of their expansion plans in India and he was pretty confident of the deal.

"Is that going to be a problem?"Anika questioned well aware of how tricky this whole situation was.

Shivaay looked ahead of him while replying. "I don't know. On one side, I don't want to give up the deal that we have been aiming for so long. On the other hand, as compared to the Oberoi group, Ayka lacks in many areas."

"I am sure you will figure it out, Shivaay."

"And what if I don't?"

"Then we will let the best offer win and look at other options. You are anything but a quitter Shivaay. So don't worry and sleep. Mujhe bhi bahut neend aa rhi h" Anika whined as she burrowed back into the comforter pulling him with her. Shivaay did not know what would happen to the deal but at this moment he let go of his worries. He would be back to brain storming tomorrow morning but today he just wanted to sleep peacefully with his entire world in his arms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew!! Done!! I mean this was the part that actually started my writer's block. I kept on adding and subtracting characters from this chapters. I had written more but then it became too incohesive, so I decided to not include them in this chapter.

So, if you noticed the absence of OmRu, Gauri and Saumya. I am sorry :') . They had an entire subplot which I casuaaalllyy deleted. I will explore them in the later chapters. Even without that subplot, this chapter clocks at around 6000 words!!!

A big thank you to all the people who commented and voted in the previous chapter. It means so much to me!! Hope you enjoyed the chapter and stay safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

236K 25.7K 46
Shivaay Singh Oberoi, a bad boy and the most popular guy in college. 🤷‍♂ Anika, a nerd who is only concentrated on her studies and hates Shivaay. 💁...
82.1K 8.5K 16
Unrequited. Maybe or maybe not. What is assured is: - a few lies, sweet, sour and a bit of spice. - adorable devars who make their brother jealous...
152K 11.3K 44
A way dramatic story of the couple Shivika. Shivaay and Annika , married for more than twenty years. But being separated since long time. Circumstanc...
79K 6.9K 37
After she was jilted two weeks before her marriage, Gauri is back in India with Shivaay and Sahasra after her 5 long years of exile, hoping that her...