𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐋 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋, ja...

By xaphrxdite

━━━━ 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐋 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ❝ mom, i am a rich man! ❞ ❨ marauders era ❩ More

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐋 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋
𝐈. 𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄
i. It's Good To Be Back
ii. Another Year
iii. House Of Gryffindor
iv. Funny Confessions
v. Unfair Punishment
vi. Fuck Ups And Awkward Consequences
vii. Loose Niffler
viii. Detention
ix. The Start Of A Tragedy
x. Halloween Party And Druken Eyeliner
xi. Where It Began
xii. Journey To Hogsmeade

xiii. In Need Of Saving

1.9K 81 15
By xaphrxdite

━━ chapter seventeen.
in need of saving

       "FOR FUCK'S SAKE"

       Lori groaned. Her hands frantically searched her jean's pockets, hoping to find the small stash of gallons she swore she hurriedly shoved in before she left her dorm in the morning. Yet, she guess she imagined that seeing that the only thing in her pocket was an empty gum wrapper and a small chapstick. How could she forget her money on the first trip to Hogsmeade of the year !?

She stood in front of the cashier of Honeydukes Sweetshop, a mountain of sweets pilled up on the counter, but had no coins to actually pay for it. Klay and Emeli were off at Three Broomsticks saving a table for Lori and Julian—who was currently waiting in line at Zonkos for the new release. Chuckles Dupont's new joke product was all the asian boy could talk about for the last week. A red strawberry lollypop was loosely hanging from her mouth, staining her tongue and inner part of her lips.

Emeli had of course offered to come, but Lori insisted that she could go on her own, it's not like she was some weak little girl who couldn't fend for herself. Anyone who tried to take advantage of Lori, thinking they could easily overpower her would be damned because while she had a rather calm and relaxed demeanor, she was still a wicked snake who at the age of eight learned confrigo before she learned a simple wingardium leviosa.

        It was no secret the Rose family was filthy rich so imagine how odd it was to see Lori pursing her lips and looking around awkwardly, not knowing what to do. A feeling of dread overcame her when she realized that she's never been in public by herself in such a vulnerable state. Sure, during the summer and her time at home she's snuck out of her house and took a visit to London and the many record stores and shops they offered, but she had brought money obviously.

Well, I guess that leaves one option. It was something she never was really comfortable with, but on few occasions had no other choice. She'd have to use her face ( which she's been told time and time again was incredibly good looking ) and her good looks on this poor young man who looked no older than nineteen.

       After fighting with herself for a few more moments, she let out a sigh. Merlin.

Her mahogany eyes snapped upwards to look up at the young man who was looking down at her so what expectantly. He had caramel blonde hair that was long and draped down in soft waves to his shoulders. Appearing as almost an elf, his cheeks seemed to be flushed crimson and the rest of his face was smooth. Large square glasses were perched up on his nose. Despite being well over his young teenage years, his face held its baby fat making him appear youthful.

He finally got a good view of the girl's face from since she walked into Honeyduke's and was taken aback by how beautiful she was. Lori Rose captured the attention of many mainly because she looked like no other. Her tan skin had a bright glow, making her appear as some sort of angel while an array of freckles dusted all over her cheeks and face along with over her collarbones. A lollipop stick was pointed out of her mouth and part of her lips were tainted a dark pink-red. It was obvious the man had never seen someone who looked like her either.

       The look she gave him made his cheeks flush red. She stared up at him through her thick lashes and a flirtatious smirk pulled at the corners of her peach lips. Her hand went up to the white stick the hung from her lips and slowly pulled out the red sucker from her mouth. After smacking her lips together, indulging in the sweet berry taste, she looked up at him somewhat seductively.

       "Mmm," She hummed, tilting her head back, purposefully giving him a better view of her freckled face. "Merlin, strawberry is my just my favorite flavor."

       ( if anyone knows anything about Lori Rose it is that strawberry is certainly not her favorite fruit, let alone flavor. )

       He stared at her like a fish out of water. With his hands fiddling nervously, and mouth opening and closing as he couldn't form a sentence. Recalling the girl from his memories at Hogwarts wasn't hard. He'd been a fourth year when she first arrived at the school. A small girl with a mane of ruly curls. Obviously, everyone always thought of the little girl as cute then, until about her third year when she began to be increasingly more attractive in that kind of way.

"How about you, . . . " Her newly red tongue slowly ran over her lips before she read 'ralph' on his small oval name tag, "Ralph.  Do you like strawberry, Ralph?"

The boy sharply inhaled as his face turned as red as a tomato, "Oh-um-yea. Yea I do. I really like . . . strawberries."

       "Aw" She pouted, jutting out her lower lip, "You are too cute. You know that?"

       "Um—I—no?" This poor man looked as if he were going to pass out.

       "Now Ralph, I may need a small very minute favor. If you could be so so kind as to—"

"—there you are! I've been looking for you everywhere freckles!"

There was no avoiding this boy was there?

Out of nowhere, James Potter rushed out from behind a candy shelf with a very wide ( to the point where it was almost terrifying! ) smile, his circular glasses almost falling off the bridge of his nose. He ignored the confused look on Lori's face and tossed a strong arm over her shoulder, pulling her close, making the pair appear to be somewhat friends. Of course, being the slytherin she is—you know, uncomfortable with affectionate physical contact—she began to wiggle in attempt to break free of his warm embrace.

The smell of deep vanilla practically radiated of her tan skin, invading his senses. Giving a small pinch to the girl's side, his innocent smile grew, making his noticeable dimples deepen. Lori made a sound of protest. Did he really just do that? Oh, she was going to kill him. No one random was bold enough to wrap their arms around her—let alone pinch her.

"What is your—"

"Shhh." He quietly commanded, his tone leaving no room for discussion.

For once, Lori did what seemed impossible for her, she listened. Her mouth snapped shut, but her mahogany eyes stayed glued on James' structured face.

"Here," The bespectacled boy slammed two galleons on the front table of the cashier before snatching the large bag of sweets. "Keep the change. We best be getting on our way."

Lori didn't miss the smirk that found it's way onto his pink lips as he pulled her out of Honeydukes, his arm still draped across her shoulders. He just saved her ass and he couldn't look more smug about it.

       "Who would've thought I would be your knight in shinning armor?" James joked, his lips pulling back to reveal his white smile and deep dimples.

       Her gaze couldn't help but linger on his ruby lips that seemed much too red to be natural. Yet it was. James was much more attractive than she used to give him credit for. Then again, she'd been in denial for a long while that any gryffindor could possibly be fit.

         He still was repulsive to her. With that, she aggressively shoved his arm from her.

       The pair began to make their way down the road, their destination unknown. Even with the very little time alone they spent together, there was nothing uncomfortable about it.

       "Don't sound to proud." Lori snipped.

       He whined in response, "Pu-lease freckles. Me? Proud? When am I ever?"

       The girl couldn't fight the smile that made its way onto her lips. The sight shocked James just as much as she shocked herself. The bespectacled boy doesn't recall any times he's seen her genuinely smile. The slytherin smirked and sarcastically grinned practically every minute of every day, but this was different. Her whole face lit up.

      It dropped just as quickly as it came and she quickly averted her eyes from the boy to the road ahead.

"We'll I've got to go to the Three Broomsticks." Lori spoke, veering away from him.

"Well no need to run away from me. So do I." James huffed.

"Oh, yay." She flatly responded, "I get to enjoy more of your refreshing company."

The raven haired boy nodded, "That you can."

The pair began to make their way down the crowded road, weaving through the few clusters of students and some adults. James stood close behind her, his frame towering over her, allowing him to see every perfect curl on her head.

"The boys are waiting for me there with a table. I reckon all your friends as well?" He questioned as they walked beside each other after pushing through the final visible crowd.

Pushing a curl from her eyes, Lori replied, "Emily and Klay are. I was sent to get sweets because Julian is at his favorite shop on earth—Zonkos, and Corban is on a date."

James abruptly stopped in his tracks. The freckled slytherin would've kept walking if it weren't for his large hand softly enclosing around her upper arm and pulling her to a stop too. She looked up at his furrowed brows and parted lips curiously.

"Wha—"

"Henson? On a date? I—with who? Are you serious?" He blabbered in disbelief.

Scoffing, she rolled her eyes, "Is it so hard to believe the female population likes Corban? He is in no way unattractive. Olivia Avery can attest to that."

"No, no, no, no." James shook his head rapidly, not wanting to start an argument with the girl when they were getting along so well. "That isn't what I meant. I mean, Corban has never shown any interest in that of the female population except for you. I figured if he were to go on a date with anyone, a million times it would be you. I mean honestly, Olivia Avery? Sure she's fit, but not enough to turn that bloke's head."

Lori blinked up at him with a blank stare, "I . . . I don't even know how to answer that. I will choose to ignore."

Without another word, she slowly began to stalk away, but James was quick to catch up with her. His amber orbs were glued to her passive face as he tried to decipher her.

"What did you do to him? Shatter his heart?" James pressed trying to keep up with her now quicker strides.

The boy was met with silence.

"Lori," He dryly laughed, not trace of humor evident, "You do know he's in love with you. How can you not know?"

"Stop James. Just stop." She held up a hand, trying to block out what he was saying.

        "I'm telling you! Just as I am with Lily! Except he has a slightly more subtle way to go about it."

Lori furrowed her eyebrows. Just the thought . . . ugh. The pureblood couldn't even fathom the idea of her childhood best friend having romantic feeling towards her. It would ruin everything.

       "Love." Lori hissed out the word, disgust dripping from her lips.

       The gryffindor boy looked over at her, taken aback by her tone. A dangerous look flashed across the warm brown eyes of the pureblood. The sneer that her heavily freckled face contorted into could give the very greasy monkey ( AKA Serverus Snape ) a run for his money. Just the mention of the broad term of affection caused her emotions to change drastically.

       "What experience do you have with love that could be so unbearable that you can't stand even the sound of the word?" James pried.

       The sight of the Three Broomsticks came into the teenager's view and the flashing thought of her sprinting away from James and all of his deep questions. But, no, Lori was never one to flee when things got tough.

       Sucking at her teeth, she stopped in her tracks, and when she turned fully to face the boy, he followed her actions.

       "It is none of your business. Leave me be."

        James' shoulders sagged, "Come on Lori. You know that speaking to you isn't on the top of my priority list, but please, it's painful enough witnessing you and Corban from afar."

         She scoffed, "Oh I am so sorry you have to endure that every day, Potter."

        Her sarcasm drove him to his next words, "Is that what you do? You deflect anything that has to do with emotions? That seems like a pretty sad way to live."

        "Well when you have nothing else to compare it to there's nothing to be sad about."

      James stayed silent.

      "Besides, I don't deflect."

      The pointed look he gave her spoke volumes that a thousand words couldn't even say.

      "Fine. Maybe I do."

       A small smile played on his lips as he raised his hand to pinch the air, "Just a smidge."

       "Well there's nothing wrong with me not believing in love."

       "I'm sorry...you don't believe in love?"He gaped at her, his mouth practically reaching the floor.

       "I have absolutely no experience with love or anything even remotely of the sort. Why would I?" She laughed, yet no humor was detected. "In the house that I grew up, it wasn't fucking rainbows and sunshine like it is with you privileged non-traditional pureblood folk. Love? I don't believe it exists."

       In a quick motion, the boy shoved his circular glasses up the bridge of his nose as his hazel orbs heatedly stared down at her.

       "How can you not believe in love, Lori? Everyone does. It's just a part of life."

       Lori clenched her jaw before glaring up at him, "You think you know so much about love? You think you love Lily?"

       The boy could only stutter in response, "I-I maybe . . . yes. Yes I think I do."

       "Oh you do? You think that chasing her around, begging for her attention, objectifying her as merely the prize of your hunt—"

       "Woah! No! That is not fair nor true and you know it!" James exclaimed in defense.

       "—because that's what it is, isn't it?" She stepped closer to the point where he could spell the peppermint of her toothpaste. "A hunt. You're all in it for the chase. So what happens when you do catch her? You think you will finally be satisfied or disappointed when you find that a chase was all it was. Open your eyes, James! That so-called love you feel? That's the thrill of the chase!"

       He just stared down at her. Lips parted and expression blank. She stared back up at him. Hair wild and eyes ablaze. For only a millisecond her eyes trailed down to his plump lips. They were closer than either of them had initially realized.

"Even if you are right, Lori, a life without love isn't a way to live." James whispered, his hazel eyes searing into hers as if he could read every inch of her.

"Well I've been living it for almost sixteen years, and I'm just fine."

"You don't seem fine, Lorelei."

As if a spell was broken, she jerked away from him with a disgusted look, "Never call me that again."

James cleared his throat, also recovering from their proximity, "That's your name, isn't it?"

      "Lori is just fine," she spoke in a short tone before striding away into the Three Broomsticks.

       She could hear the crunching of James' footsteps behind her as she pushed the wooden door open. He scared her. The way he was able to make her open up about personal things was shocking. I mean this was James Potter. What was he to Lori? Nothing.

Her friends weren't hard to spot under the dim lights. They always sat in the same spot in the back in the darkest corner. It was away from the prying eyes and if you didn't know, the group had a liking for the dark. Oh, and they also were the loudest group there. There's Julian to thank for that. Being unintentionally funny to the point of others tears and belly aches could be considered a curse. Especially when trying to be quiet in the back corner of the Three Broomsticks.

Ignoring James and the way he lingered behind her, his gaze never parting from her frame, she began to make her way towards her friends. The bespectacled boy watched her with a frown.

"Hey Lor." A smooth voice stopped her in her tracks. She looked over to see the other three marauders slouched around a table against the wall.

Sirius was the one who addressed her. He was reclined in his seat, black jean covered legs man spread open, and his dark leather glittering under the candle light. His charcoal hair was lazily pushed back, few strands of his waves falling delicately at his sharp cheekbones. It's a shame he's insufferable. A cheesy smile graced his lips as he stared up at the girl with interest.

"Sirius." She nodded at him before looking over at the timid blond boy across the table, "Hi Peter."

His eyes widened and cheeks flamed before he squeaked, "Hi Lori."

"Hey love." Remus, who was seated next to Black gave a shakey smile.

The freckled girls eyebrows furrowed at her friend's appearance. He had sunken cheeks, large eye bags, and his skin looked so pale he appeared almost translucent. This had been the second time she's seen him this sickly since school started. Last time was... well about a month ago.

"Blimey Remmy, are you alright? You're paler than Emeli." Lori's lips turned downward as she shuffled closer.

He laughed before wincing as if the very movement of his chest hurt him. The other boys were dead quiet, including Potter who was now seated at the table. There was something in the air—awkwardness ( and some sort of fear ). They knew Lori wasn't dumb. She never had been but let's be honest, she's always been a bit self absorbed. So much so she's paid no attention to others well being.

"I'm fine. Just caught a bit of a cold."

Lori bluntly replied, "A bit? You look dreadful."

"Always so kind." James dryly smiled. It dropped upon her cold glare.

"Thanks for your concern Lori but I'm quite well." Remus assured in the most convincing way possible.

"Whatever you say. Go visit Pom-Pom before you get worse than... quite well." She playfully mocked him, but it was evident that she was serious.

Remus nodded, "I will."

With that, Lori began to walk away towards her best friends, "See you Gryffindorks later."

A chorus of goodbyes followed before she arrived at her friends' corner table. Emeli beamed at her as she sat down. Julian gave her a half smile then continued to sip at his butter beer. Klay simply stared at her like he did to everyone and everything—that's what comes with being so observant she guessed.

       "I got you a butter beer." Julian motioned to the glass of foamy goodness that sat untouched.

She gave a nod of appreciation as she slid into the empty wooden chair. In that moment the heated stare of a certain hazel-eyed boy never faltered to burn through the side of her chiseled face. Her eyes shifted to meet his in a deep gaze that held so much power, the world around them seemed to still. James jaw clenched and he almost appeared to be in . . . pain? ( Little did she know, he was ). Never had someone bewildered and perplexed another as much as Lori did James.

The girl was the upmost confusing person James ever met. Her cold declaration of love being merely a myth almost saddened him. For him that meant a life without his parents, friends—Lily too. Who would he be without them? As cold and unloving as the freckled girl? No one deserved a life like that, and at that very moment, James decided he was going to be the one to crack the ice guarding Lori's heart.

        He could tell there was a whole other level of Lori Rose that no one's ever seen, and he was going to be the first to see it.

It will never be known why James took it upon himself to be the one to do this, or why he felt personally obligated. A sense of determination rose in him as he downed his butter beer, his eyes yet to leave hers. Lori face pulled into a sneer at his attention and looked away back to her friends, feeling genuinely uneasy by intensity and fire behind his gaze.

She scoffed before sipping at her sweet beer and tuning into the conversation among her friends.

       What a fucking weirdo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 80.5K 77
in which joelle d'amore is completing her final semester of university in the grand city of los angeles, california. when she finds herself in the pr...
733K 24.6K 70
A story where a girl would do anything to get rid of her studies including getting married with a Mafia king but fate played opposite of it even afte...
60.1K 1.4K 49
"I love you Percy , 𝓽𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓶𝓸𝓸𝓷 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴" Where Persephone Greyback moves to hogwarts and falls in love with a deer (james potter x o...
42.5K 950 20
Noelle Aster, a broken and naive girl living in the Capitol - many say she is not suited for that lifestyle and she agrees. As a child, Noelle was ra...