Brazos Bride

By CClemmons

Hope Montoya knows someone is poisoning her, but who? She suspects her mother was also poisoned and knows he... More

BRAZOS BRIDE, Men of Stone Mountain book 1
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter 5
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter 6
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Seven
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Eight
BRAZOS BRIDE CHAPTER NINE
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Ten
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Eleve
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twelve
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Thirteen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Fourteen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Fifteen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Seventeen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Eighteen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Nineteen
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty One
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty Two
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty Three
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Four
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Five
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Six
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Seven
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Eight
BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Nine
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Thirty
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Thirt One
BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Thirty Two

BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Sixteen

132K 2.7K 75
By CClemmons

Brazos Bride

Chapter Sixteen

The next morning, sounds of laughter from the kitchen greeted Hope. How long had it been since she’d heard laughter in this house?

Never!

A great symphony could not have pleased her more. She peeked into the kitchen. Micah and his brothers sat at the large table while the aunts and Tomasina busily prepared breakfast.

"It sounds like a party in here," Hope said as she stepped into the room.

Micah jumped up and held a chair for her. "Maria said you’d rung for her, but I didn’t expect you down so early."

She smiled at his courtesy as she slid into the seat. "What are your plans for the day?"

He sat down beside her. "I’ve already spoken to your foreman, Wooster. He said you’ve lost over a hundred head of cattle in the last two months."

She pressed her hands against her cheeks. "A hundred! In only two months?" She calculated the cost in her head. "I have a large herd, but no rancher can sustain those losses if they continue."

"He has no suspects. Thinks they’re local because a few at a time disappear. Said he hasn’t been able to track the rustlers far enough to catch them. Your uncle had told him to stay here and concentrate on protecting the ones left rather than going after those that were missing."

From the disgust displayed on Micah’s face, she believed he disagreed with her uncle’s orders. So did she.

"What will you do?" She looked at each man.

Micah explained, "We’ll lay a trap. Wooster seems like a nice enough guy, and I suppose we’ll have to trust him."

Zach raised an eyebrow. "Up to a point anyway."

"First," Joel said, "we’ll scout around and try to locate the missing cattle. If only a few at a time are disappearing, the rustlers are probably holding them somewhere nearby for a big drive."

"We drew straws and I won." Zach grinned at Hope. "I get to stay here today while those two are in the heat hunting for missing cattle."

Maggie pointed a wooden spoon at Zach. "That’s good. Maria helped us empty our trunks and they’re ready to be put away. We brought enough food for today, but we need to know what’s in the smokehouse so we can plan meals."

Zach held up his hands in defeat. "I’m supposed to watch out for Hope, remember?"

Tomasina said, "Señoras, I will ask Alejandro to put your trunks in the attic. Hanging in the smoke house and cold room we have much beef and pork. There are chickens out back in the coop. The root cellar has potatoes, carrots, yams, turnips, and apples. A few pears, but almost they are gone. The garden behind the hacienda has fresh vegetables. Already we have peas, beans, tomatoes, greens, and onions. Melons, more fruit, and corn will be ripe in June. Also, there are orchards."

"Lands sakes, we’ll eat like kings and queens," Lizzie Mae said.

Hope thought that perhaps this seemed like a very prosperous home to the Stones. To her, the laughter she’d heard this morning was worth more cash than any bank could hold. Imagine, pure joy in this house.

She looked at the aunts, smile lines etched into both their faces. The care she’d seen on the brother’s faces had been replaced and each appeared relaxed and comfortable with one another. Micah winked at her, his dimples deepening in a smile. Warmth spread through Hope. Although only for a short while, for now she was part of this cheerful family.

Then she remembered Micah’s action in the hotel. He’d stood up to Eduardo in the dining room and won. He’d reacted instantly to the gunshots in their room that night. Relentlessly, he’d fought the barn fire at his ranch. He might be smiling now, but this man was strong as the stone of his name. He was her rock for now, sustaining her while she regained her strength.

Why couldn’t she trust him to catch the killer without also stealing her freedom?

When Micah and Joel had left, the aunts shooed Hope and Zach out of the kitchen.

Zach held the door for his sister-in-law. "Where’s your favorite place to spend your morning? Or do you want to go back up to your room?"

"I would have been content to stay in the kitchen, listening to the aunts’ pleasant chattering. Even shy Tomasina talks with them." She shrugged. "For now, I would like to sit and read for a while."

"Sounds great. You have a book I can borrow? One in English would be best?"

Her eyes widened. "You speak Spanish?"

He smiled and held out his hands. "Can’t grow up in Texas without learning some Spanish. Speaking and reading are different. I’m mighty slow at translating."

She returned his grin. "Recently I acquired the works of Charles Dickens from England. In fact, I am reading A Tale of Two Cities. The story is wonderful." She waved a hand. "Shall we go to the library so you can choose for yourself?"

He looked over the library’s impressive shelves and thick walls. "Mighty nice room. First time I’ve been in here." Two windows faced the courtyard and offered no chance for a sidewinder to sneak up for a shot at Hope. The door they’d used was the only entrance or exit. Thick walls.

"Always I have loved this room, but it’s a little dark for my taste. Perhaps a few sunny cushions and lighter draperies." She glanced around, then ran her fingers along a shelf. "Oh, you might prefer Mr. Jules Verne’s work." She indicated several volumes. "These were recently translated from the French."

He selected Five Weeks In A Balloon. "You know, balloons were used by both sides in the War. Never rode in one myself, and sure wouldn’t want to spend five weeks in one. Book sounds interesting, though." Zach angled the large leather wingback chair so he had a view of the door and both windows.

Hope appeared to hesitate before she said, "I usually read in the sunroom. There’s so much nice light."

Zach remembered. And too many windows that offered a clear rifle shot from the trees and brush. Careful not to ruin her day by reminding her a killer targeted her, Zach pretended to weigh her suggestion.

"Aw, this chair looks more suited to my size than any in the morning room. You mind if we settle here for a spell?"

"I suppose a man your size has trouble getting comfortable in most chairs." Giggling, she said, "Theresa told me how uneasy you looked sitting on her mother-in-law’s settee."

When she laughed, her eyes sparkled. Easy to see why Micah had fallen for her hard. At a fandango, she would have been laughing and probably flirting with Micah. Damn shame her father interfered back then.

Zach winked at Hope. "Didn’t know it showed, but it’s a fact I was wary for fear the whole thing would splinter."

"That would have hurt." She held her hand over her mouth to hide a grin.

"Especially after Mrs. Henderson or the judge lit into me." Zach didn’t mind if she laughed at him. From what he’d learned so far, he figured she hadn’t had much humor in her life. "But that wouldn’t have been the first piece of furniture my brothers or I shattered."

"I think you’re safe in that chair. I will rest on the chaise." She sat and arranged her skirts to cover her feet.

Even though spring bloomed outside, inside cool air surrounded them. What looked like a folded Mexican blanket lay across the sofa. He rose and spread the blanket over her legs, then returned to his seat.

"Gracias. You and Joel have been with Micah many weeks. Do you not have wives or women waiting for you?"

Zach froze. He hated divulging personal information, and sure didn’t intend to spill details about Joel’s private life. "C-Can’t speak for Joel." He decided she was just trying to make conversation, and relaxed. "I’ve been sort of courting a woman."

Tilting her head to one side, she asked, "How does a man sort of court a young lady?"

"Now you mention it, maybe she doesn’t know I’m courting her." He smiled and winked. "Reckon I’ll step up the process once I’ve finished here."

"I appreciate that you and Joel and your aunts have stopped your lives to help Micah and me. Well, I suppose it’s mostly for me now."

"Don’t give it a second thought. Micah would do the same for us. He shared that cash you gave him, and a third of the cattle now drinking at the river belong to me and a third to Joel."

They settled into companionable silence. Zach tried to appear relaxed, but how could he let down his guard? Micah counted on him to keep Hope safe. Much as Zach hated this lolly gagging when he longed to hunt rustlers and killers, he liked his new sister and wanted her protected.

He’d read the same damn page at least ten times and still didn’t have any idea what it said. Every bird or breeze outside caught his attention. Hope slammed her book.

"Whew." He fought against jumping to his feet at the sudden sound.

Her gaze met his. "The story is a good one, but it cannot hold my interest. I long to rise and do something, anything, to battle this awful killer."

Zach closed his book also. "Must be hard, but your fight is to regain your strength. Let the rest of us combat whoever’s been attacking your family."

"I know you are right, but waiting is difficult." She patted her stomach and grinned. "I suspect the aunts’ good cooking and my appetite will result in me gaining all the weight I have lost...and more."

"Our aunts will pamper you, that’s for sure, but you can stand to put a little meat on your bones." Damn! Leave it to him to put his foot in his mouth. "Not that there’s anything wrong with the way you look now." He’d prefer seeing her plump with Micah’s child, but wondered at the likelihood of that ever happening.

"Zach, do not worry about your words. I know I am too thin." She held up her wedding ring and showed him how large it was. "Micah believes this ring will fit one day. His faith means more than I can tell you."

Maria appeared. "Señora Hope, the ladies, they say you must rest now until lunch. I will help you to your room."

Zach leaped up. "I’ll help as well, little sister. While you rest, I’ll be in Micah’s room or nearby. You just call out if you need anything. If I can’t figure it out, I’ll fetch Maria." He carried his book as they climbed the stairs. When they passed the foyer clock, he was surprised to see he’d been in the library only two hours.

Been too long since he’d spent hours on watch. Already surveillance created an ache behind his eyes. Danged if ranching hadn’t turned him soft. Sure he could still work a sixteen-hour day, but not and remain constantly on guard.

While Hope rested, Zach took off his boots so she wouldn’t hear him patrolling back and forth. He went out on the balcony of Micah’s room, which ran to the end of the house in each direction. The house’s red tile roof would make climbing from the one-story wings almost impossible. He judged the distance to the closest trees. Mighty dangerous jump even if the villain was a circus performer.

Zach leaned on the sturdy rail and peered down. A tiled terrace jutted out at least twenty feet beyond the house. Deadly if someone fell from the balcony. Beyond the terrace, he spied a vegetable plot and a large flower garden. In the distance, he spotted the orchards. This ranch was definitely well planned and prosperous.

He and Joel had talked about this marriage of Micah’s and both scorned the fix Micah was in. He hated to see his little brother hurt, and he’d never forgive Hope if she didn’t see reason. All he could do is pray Hope saw reason and wanted to make it permanent.

He retraced his steps and listened at the open doorway to Hope’s room. Did Micah go to Hope’s room or she to his? Mama wouldn’t have slept anywhere but with Pa unless she was off taking care of sick folks. Odd that from the start this house was designed to drive a wedge between husband and wife. Wonder what made rich folks so peculiar?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Protection By Caitlyn Coker

Historical Fiction

486K 23.5K 46
Sparks fly and horns lock on the Dottie Belle Ranch in Plateau, Arizona! Clint Slade is a well-known hired killer. What he does for a living has neve...
6.1K 185 34
Arthur Morgan is setting up camp after collecting some debts for Strauss. Knowing its too late to head back, he sets up camp for the night. Not long...
209K 9.8K 29
Tylee Jackson lives on a 100,000 acre ranch, outside of Sundance, Texas, that she runs herself. She is very shy and gets social anxiety easily, her b...
229K 11.3K 43
“Where is revenge going to get you, Adam? What’s it going to prove?” Katie asked. “He killed my brother, Kate. I won’t rest until I bring him to jus...