Moonlight's Deception (Eclips...

By TheWallflowerWitch

Freedom comes at a price and a young Earthal princess must live the life of somebody else, even if it means f... More

MOONLIGHT'S DECEPTION
Chapter 01 | The Spirit of Jade
Chapter 02 | Shattered
Chapter 03 | Change of Turn
Chapter 04 | The Air Prince
Chapter 05 | Escape Attempt
Chapter 06 | Malini
Chapter 07 | Open Enrolment
Chapter 08 | A Push Forward
Chapter 09 | Castle of the Golden Fire
Chapter 10 | Blaire Academy
Chapter 12 | Two Moons
Chapter 13 | Placement Exam
Chapter 14 | The Power Within
Chapter 15 | Ghastly Aftermath
Chapter 16 | Suppressant
Chapter 17 | Hidden Sanctum
Chapter 18 | Lost Knowledge
Chapter 19 | Blood Magic
Chapter 20 | Vision
Chapter 21 | Ill Omens
Chapter 22 | The Essence
Chapter 23 | The Invitation
Chapter 24 | Charms and Kisses
Chapter 25 | Trouble at the Ball
Chapter 26 | To Search the Sun
Chapter 27 | Captive
Chapter 28 | Worst Formula
Chapter 29 | Mistaken Identity
Chapter 30 | Other World
Chapter 31 | Secret Origin
Chapter 32 | Project Eclipse
Chapter 33 | The Sun Att
Chapter 34 | They Hadn't the Foggiest
Chapter 35 | A Helping Hand
Chapter 36 | Storm Brewing
Chapter 37 | The Darkest Hour
Chapter 38 | Blood, Sun and Moon
Chapter 39 | The Parting
Epilogue
EXTRA: THE FIVE RULING EMPIRES
EXTRA: GLOSSARY

Chapter 11 | No Magic, No Problem

259 73 48
By TheWallflowerWitch

CLARA COULD hardly concentrate on what Holly was saying, for the prospect of the placement exam was starting to weigh on her. She imagined herself in the middle of unknown faces without anything—not even her powers—in case something went terribly wrong. The placement exam was supposed to be a measure of strength. It wouldn't start in the next few hours, yet Clara feared she would flunk it.

Holly showed Clara to a bathroom. It had a large bathtub, kidney-shaped and made of the smoothest white porcelain. The high ceilings were covered by enormous frescoed portraits, depicting Hiestora's beginning of time—how it was created by the Guardian Deity. Against each of the walls—which were papered in elaborate swirls of turquoise, pink, and gold—was an oversized, lavishly carved wooden armoire.

"I sleep in Chamber 5, Your Highness," Holly said, leaning against the bathroom doorway. "That's downstairs. In case you need me, there's a communication system that's set up in your bedroom. It's directly connected to my room, Sir Maxwell's, Prince Emir's, and the receptionist's." She gestured across the hallway. "There is a small kitchen at the front if you need tea or breakfast for convenience, but you can always ask them to deliver it for you. The main kitchens and dining hall are in the main building, but that's many steps away. And when classes start, I shall accompany you wherever you go. The prince's order. I, uh... am already briefed about your after-adjustment from a year-long coma."

Clara cleared her throat, not wanting to linger on the subject any longer. "How many people live here?"

"Only six Erinian royalties are attending this year. The others were done with their arts and studies. We'll add six to that because other royals also have their wards. That is twelve in total."

"Twelve," Clara murmured, internally listing the royalties she met. She already knew Prince Emir and Maxwell, his right-hand man. Then, there was Prince Henry Cromwell from the tour show. That would be five if she would consider herself and Holly.

"Princess, would you mind going with me to Caelholme?" Holly said, pulling her out of her deep thought. "I-I apologize if I'm becoming too forward, but I'm just thinking if you'd like to look around some more."

Holly seemed like a strong-headed girl. Clara had observed how she unconsciously flicked her eyebrows every time she spoke. The reason why she was slightly on edge with Holly despite her anticipation of having a friend in her. But this Holly standing in front of her, asking her to have fun in Caelholme, was actually shy and nervous.

Then, Clara smiled, easing the tension on Holly's shoulder a bit. "I would love to, Holly. And maybe we can try to know more about each other. How is that?"

Excitement took over Holly as she ran across the room, Clara following her. Holly grabbed a small blue pebble from a bunch of it in a small rounded weaved basket placed over the fire mantel.

"Where in Caelholme exactly, Holly?" Unlike before, Clara was familiar with the city of Caelholme from her studies of history. It was another thriving city from the northern kingdom of Eirinia—the Notus Kingdom.

"To Erigon Square, Your Highness. This year, the academy's council added it to the few pre-selected places students of Blaire are allowed to go without using the bronze portal."

Holly threw the pebble on the wall and it shattered into pieces. Cracks appeared on that part of the wall until it crumbled, revealing a bright swirling vortex. "Let's go, Your Highness?"

Clara reached out for Holly's hand and beamed a comfortable smile. "Anneliese. Just call me Anneliese."

And together, they stepped into the light that would take them to a place that would let her forget tomorrow's worries for a while.

A column of light consumed them. Clara was ice-cold and could see nothing. A shuddering wave of vertigo overtook her.

Then: the smallest flash of light.

"Wow."

If Rovenshire was a picture of everyday life and festivities, then Erigon Square was a picture of exotic and exquisite finds—from the shops to its people.

"Charming, isn't it?" Holly's proud voice made it sound like she was presenting a wonderful piece of art.

"Yes, but charming doesn't do it justice, Holly. It's splendid! Are you from here? You sound like a proud child."

Holly's heartful laugh was a sound to the ear, and a mesmerizing glitter blinked in her eyes.

"I am, Your Highness. A proud child of my birthplace. I'm not exactly from here. It's the next town. But generally, Caelholme is my home. Let's go to this famous shop. There's a friend that I think you would love to meet."

Clara just nodded and together, they mixed in with the crowd.

In the early morning sun, the square bustled with activity. A stately woman with deep blue skin and tusks was dragging a kicking toddler with impish horns past a magical toy store.

Beyond that, a pair of men with pointed elvish ears and webbed hands debated over a beaded bracelet at a stall named Charms.

"Is that vendor selling heads?" Clara gestured at a nearby stall where a handful of shriveled man's heads hang from the eaves.

Holly grabbed her arm and started leading her away hurriedly. "Yes, and from what I heard, those are real heads. That business has been going on for years and they insist they have permission from the royal capital of Notus. I don't know what those big shots in the royal court are doing, but those are certainly not molded clays or sculptures."

Clara gulped as the vendor's black-slitted eyes met with hers and it was the kind of look that wasn't fond of the word friendliness. So, she leashed her curiosity and decided to take in the fresh sight around them.

Cozy buildings were evenly spread out. Those alleyways were shielded with stores but one handshake door to door.

They stopped abruptly in front of a shop labeled Wooden It Be Nice. The sign in the window read: Your one-stop shop for one-stop shopping.

"So, this friend of yours mostly sells stuff made from wood?" Clara studied the wooden placard fixed in a plant box.

"No, not entirely. You'll find a lot of good finds inside. And if you're wondering about the store's name, Neith is a wood nymph. Let's get inside, Your Highness. See if you'll find something to your liking."

Holly pushed open the window door and it didn't even make a creaking sound. The bell chimed, signaling their arrival at the store.

Inside, every square inch of the shop was packed with clothes, knick-knacks, and all manner of glowing, spinning, and rattling mystical objects.

"How are we even supposed to find anything in here?" Clara's eyes raked everything with amazement.

"Well, honey, you'll need a whole day to dive in the whole shop. But that's where I come in! Oh, um, just a second, please."

A rustling from the pile of lamps on her left made Clara jump. A mountain of rusted candelabras avalanched off a high shelf, heading straight at her. It was perfect timing to summon her abilities. She dug into the memories of her training when her sage taught her the moon defense spell. Only it was too late to realize her inability to use magic. So, she ducked, bracing for impact. But it never came.

"Sorry about that!"

Clara looked up to see a beautiful wood nymph. Seeing it was Princess Anneliese, the wood nymph's face paled and became a mirror of sheer panic. "Y-Your Highness! I-I was organizing some of the wisp droppings we stored under this armoire. I d-didn't mean to—"

Candelabras stopped mid-air and hovered just over Clara's head. Holly's hands were stretched out, controlling the air so that it wouldn't crash on her. The wood nymph, on the other hand, flicked a vine-wrapped hand and the candelabras re-stacked themselves on the shelf.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to surprise you, Your Highness." She stared at Clara wide-eyed, but she gave the wood nymph an assured smile. When the nymph seemed to have recovered from panic, she bowed her head. "I'm Neith, Your Highness, and I'm the one who runs this shop."

Neith held out her hand, and when Clara shook it, the nymph's skin felt both like polished wood and flesh all at once.

"You can call me Anneliese instead. Don't worry. It's fine with me. Any friend of mine can call me by my name," she quickly added when Neith was about to protest.

Awkward silence enveloped the whole shop. "I like this place," Clara said, scanning every corner. "Maybe I'll just find myself going back here again and again."

Neith sucked in a breath. The edges of her eyes were rimmed with tears. "I-It would be such an honor. I would love to have you around, princess. Today's even more special because it's your first time to be here." She paused thoughtfully, looking off into the distance as her eyes grew dark and clouded. After a while, it seemed obvious that she was checked out completely.

"Interesting," Neith murmured strangely. Her eyes lightened and refocused on Holly as she shook her head. "Oh, Miss Vanders, I almost forgot! I've got your order ready."

"Great. I spent a minor fortune on that one. Let me see it."

Neith skipped off toward the counter and disappeared behind it. After a while, she popped up from behind, coughing and covered in dust. She slammed a polished wooden box down on the counter, with Dusty's Miracle Marbles intricately written in gold on the lid. "Here you go. Personalized miracle marble made by the famous Penelope Dusty herself."

Holly gingerly lifted the edges of the box, revealing four multi-colored orbs within. The glow of the marbles hit Holly's face. "Oh, great! Thank you, Neith. This is perfect and exactly how I want it."

"Always the best service, Miss Vanders," Neith uttered with pride.

"And I've also heard that you've been asked with the same orders as this one. A lot of students are worried about the first day of classes and want a boost. But that's cheating. For sure, the academy won't allow it. Magic marbles are non-academic, strictly for personal use, unless it is advised to use them," Holly said as she fixed the marble-containing box in a tiny pouch.

The pouch stretched, accommodating the size of the box. Until it went back to its original tiny size, the box somewhere in a dark space, floating along with other items Holly had in her magic pouch.

"Oh, no, not quite. More than half of my customers are attuneless." Neith leaned over the counter and continued in a hushed voice, "Magicless who wishes to use magic. There has been an increase in non-attributes these days and the empires are starting to worry. It has not been made public, but there are rumors." Neith switched her attention to Clara. "Perhaps you already know of that matter, Your Highness."

No, Clara didn't know about it. Not a single thing about the problems this empire was facing. But there was one thing she understood. Right now, she was one of those who belong to the attuneless population, considering her inability to wield this body's attribute.

"Can I also have those marbles, Neith?" The two girls looked at her like she had said something unbefitting. A rift of confusion danced in their eyes. "Uh, first-day jitters. Just like everybody else." The side of her lips quivered from the forced smile. Holly did mention it was forbidden in the placement exam, but Clara would surely find a way to get past that hurdle.

"Neith, can I?" she repeated when no one made a move.

It was Neith who was first to recover. "O-Of course, Your Highness. I just happen to have the right one just for you. Although I think you're strong enough on your own. Just a minute while I get it."

Neith disappeared behind the curtain that was beside the shelf. When she came back, she looked at Clara, her eyes shining brightly. The same box as Holly's rested on her palm, its lid already opened, and the contents were laid before her. Neith plucked a clear orb from the box. Opaque, white smoke began to curl inside the glass.

"One of Penelope Dusty's bestsellers and a limited edition set. The set contains orbs with enough magic that will replenish for a month per element." Neith started with her charms of convincing power. "They may be small, but they pack quite a punch."

With a smile, Clara folded her fingers around the orb. "And this little guy will be mine now."

"They're the very best in the market! Of course, you can have all these orbs. We don't usually sell magical orbs of other elements, but important royals and higher ranks are an exception. Though natural magic is still very powerful," Neith busted in excitement.

Clara looked a little closer at the contents of the box and saw a variety of colors in the tendrils of smoke—blue, red, green, and white.

"How do you even use it? This is my first time." Clara bit her tongue. She just hoped this was really Anneliese's first time using such a thing.

"Well, Neith," Holly butted in. "Do you have any singles there?"

"Yes, I have, Miss Vanders." Neith rummaged through a drawer and handed Holly a dusty blue orb. "It's still business so I must say that'll cost you another fortune. I must insist you go outside to—"

Holly rolled the marble between her thumb and forefinger, raising it toward the ceiling. And a rain cloud appeared overhead as the blue smoke dissipated from the marble. It began to pour.

"Easy." A huge grin was plastered on Holly's face. "That's how it's done, Your Highness."

The ever-bright and innocent façade of the wood nymph turned darker and resembled a storm. "You, attuned people, never listen!" The leaves in Neith's hair rustled as she glowered at Holly. She flicked a finger, and a strong blast of wind blew the cloud and the rain away, leaving the whole shop completely dry.

"What do you think, Your Highness? Will you buy it?" Holly asked Clara, ignoring Neith's reprimand.

"I'll get it, Neith."

A bright smile washed over the wood nymph's face. "One thousand gold diriams, Your Highness."

Clara gave her the desired amount of gold diriams from her leather pouch.

Holly and Clara decided to head over to a famous lunch spot by the bay and were ready to go out when the bell chimed, signaling the arrival of a new customer. Clara had no idea what made Holly's expression livid until she turned around.

"Sir Maxwell!" Clara greeted him in a cheery voice, delighted to see a familiar face. "And... Prince Emir."

The prince spared the princess a single glance before he rolled his eyes in visible irritation. He moved over the counter, bumping into Clara's shoulder lightly.

"Apologies, ladies. The prince isn't in the right mood for a chat. But I can make myself available for tea," Maxwell offered, radiating an aura quite like sunshine.

"No, we're good." Holly glared daggers at him, the edges so fine it could slice him to bits. But Maxwell didn't seem to mind. His smile didn't even waver. "Have a cup of tea yourself. Shall we go now, Your Highness?"

After saying goodbye to Neith, Holly, and Clara headed back through the portal to her chamber room instead. Holly reasoned her appetite went downhill the moment she saw Maxwell.

"What do you want for lunch, Your Highness? I'll call the receptionist to send us our lunch." Holly sighed as she plopped herself on the sofa. She had a crystal orb at hand, placed on a silver pegasus stand. Over her shoulder, something caught Clara's eyes. In the mirror across the room, there was a smudge... or maybe a shadow.

"Holly, did you see that?" She inched forward towards it, squinting her eyes.

"Hm?" Holly followed the direction she was looking at, right where the shadow was.

Clara looked around to find the source of the reflection as she stepped closer to the mirror. The shadow pulsed and grew. And she tilted her head even closer.

"Wait, that's..." It was then that she realized the shadow was on their side of the glass.

"Princess Anneliese!" Holly warned in a shout. She moved to jump in front of Clara, but she was a little slow to act.

The shadowy creature turned a violent shade of red. An opening appeared below its two hollow eyes as it let out an angry hiss. It launched itself at Clara, sending her reeling.

Clara tripped over her own feet, falling backward as the shadow sprung. She rolled out of the way, throwing up a hand to keep it off her.

"Ah!" she screamed in fright. And a bright beam, silver as the moon, shot from her palm, blasting right through the middle of the creature.

"H-How..." Even though the light faded, her palms still glowed warmly. The shadow creature had been reduced to nothing. She could still feel the energy humming inside of her.

She blasted the shadow monster with powerful magic, one that was similar to hers. It was here. Somewhere under the surface. Somewhere secret.

Moon Magic.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 1.1K 20
Once upon a time, there's a lady whose dream is to be able to freely explore the vast ocean and the outside world, and a royal sorcerer who is determ...
3.5K 602 74
SIXTH BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES š˜šš˜©š˜¦ š˜øš˜¢š˜“ š˜­š˜°š˜“š˜µ. š˜šš˜©š˜¦ š˜øš˜¢š˜“ š˜§š˜°š˜¶š˜Æš˜„. š˜•š˜°š˜ø, š˜“š˜©š˜¦ š˜Ŗš˜“ š˜„š˜¦š˜µš˜¦š˜³š˜®š˜Ŗš˜Æš˜¦š˜„ š˜µš˜° š˜“ļæ½...
4.6K 275 28
[2023 Wattys Shortlist, 2023 Amby Awards winner, Featured 3 times in Wattpad Picks lists] Kaleth has worked as an agent of Luxarx for years. What th...
ROGER By Vee Lozada

Science Fiction

34.8K 3.9K 36
[Book 1 in the CODES series] || Clara is stubborn and installs Roger, an AI program, inside her head in the most unconventional way, but because she'...