As Clear As Night [Dio×Reader]

By starsloincloth

A love that was never meant to be... ~°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°~ High class in your name, man... More

~Prologue~
The Forced-Kissing-Bastard, Dio
Anxiety Filled Anticipation
Thought You Won? Well, Check, Mate
The Deal is Now Sealed
The Unlucky Golden Ticket
He Taught Me: Keep your Friends Close but your Enemies Closer
Half-Chapter
(Extra)
Teatime Turmoil
Babysitting Gone Bizarre
Babysitting with a Bottle of Wine

War Across the Dinner Table

289 19 38
By starsloincloth

Revised: August 28, 2023

Chapter 3: War Across the Dinner Table 🍽️

~

The dining room alone was twice the size of the one at your house. The table? Thrice as big as any you'd ever had the pleasure of sitting at. With the white cloth draped over it, gorgeous flower arrangements adorning it and green chairs accompanying it, you felt like royalty. But no, you would never confess that to Dio and feed his ego- how you almost staggered in your steps from just trying to look around the room.

With so many chairs available, much more needed for a 3-person family, you just sat by your father, who himself sat to the left of Mr. Joestar at the head of the table.

Sitting in the chair, you attempted to calm your nerves from how small you felt compared to the room, yet sinking into the lofty chair only made it worse. Now you didn't just look childish on the outside, but felt ridiculously childish on the inside.

So while you were grappling with your insignificance, Dio was right at home, not hesitating to swoop into his seat... right across from you?

What? That didn't make sense! With a seat directly next to Mister Joestar- even if he had a bone to pick with you- wouldn't it seem incredibly rude if Dio chose to sit a seat away from his adoptive father?

The cunning boy seemed to have read you mind when announcing, "I shall be saving this seat for Jonathan, for when he is ready to have dinner with us."

That sly fox! What could he be planning?

"So uh, Dio..." Your youngest brother squeaked. The boy was just nine years old, but already he was adored by your mother. The last time you spent time with him alone was when you were eight and he was five. Ever since then he's been too busy being taught business things or being at school to spend time with you, with at most a passing glance at home. What could he possibly have to ask Dio?

"The older boys at school showed us these spectacular Chinese firecrackers. They exploded in the most colorful of ways! They said they learned how to make them from you but wouldn't show us how. I-if you don't mind could you show us how to make them...?"

If you didn't know Dio's true face, you might've even fallen for that fake, sickly sweet smile of his.

"Of course I wouldn't mind. It's quite simple..." he began.

And with that the small talk commenced. The adults talked with the adults and the children amongst the children. You kept your mouth shut and only agreed with an occasional nod or two. Dio didn't show any other signs of hostility except the occasional joke and stare.

"So you say you're interested in animals?" He spoke to your oldest brother, 15, that sat next to him. "Do you perhaps have any interest in monkeys? I learned quite an interesting thing about them recently, and excuse me if it's in poor taste. So as you probably know they're expert tree climbers, but did you also know that they are known to throw their feces on other animals?"

Mental sigh. Yes, that was supposed to be an insult to you, but couldn't he have picked a better subject when you all were about to eat dinner?

Creeeeeakkkk

The slow opening of the door must've brought in a breeze, because an air of hush fell over the table. How awkward it must have been for the person opening it.

"Good timing Jonathan, we were about to eat." Mr. Joestar said. "Please introduce yourself to our guests."

Looking at the average boy, you reached some simple conclusions. To be frank, you couldn't care less about him. Sure you felt bad about how Dio torments him, but your only objective was to hand Jonathan the letter Erina wrote. There was nothing you could do to help, nor be willing to do anyways. You were already knee-deep in your own problems. And hey, Dio was out to get you too, so that makes it even right?

"Ah, the food has arrived!" Mother remarked. Broken out of your trance, you came to see Jonathan already sitting between the blonde bastard and his father. When did he get there? You must have been so lost in thoughts that you missed Jonathan's introduction.

What caught your attention was the line of servents entering with food carts, they almost seemed like they were gliding while moving and setting the silver platters with the entrees onto the tabletop. The steam carried around the various scents of the meals as it swirled and engulfed the open air. Even your [favorite food] seemed more sophisticated than usual. If you could call food gorgeous, well, this is when you would do it.

🐢
___

It was in the middle of dinner when Dio finally decided to make his next move. During your father's and Mr. Joestar's conversation about some details of the contract.

"I apologize," he interrupted the two men. They stopped talking and gave him their immediate attention, "but I've begun to gain some interest in becoming a lawyer as of late and so have been studying contracts recently. Wouldn't that bit add unnecessary costs to my father?"

A pause. Most of your family members froze. Mother even stopped chewing her food. It was a similar silence as when Jonathan appeared, but it wasn't the same, this time it was awkward for everyone.

"Ahem," Your father cleared his throat, "I hadn't noticed, we will have to revise that then, now won't we?" He chuckled and tried to play it off.

Oh Father, you fool. You knew that with his meticulous personality that he checked every single detail on that paper at least twice. So he had noticed, but assumed that Mr. Joestar wouldn't catch on. This man forced his entire family to practice table etiquette for weeks when he himself didn't even have enough business etiquette to make a contract that wouldn't try to cheat someone. How humiliating!

You looked up from your food and snuck a peek at the boy who created this heavy atmosphere- only to find him staring right at you. You almost choked on the food in your mouth as your cheeks started to heat up from this sudden flustering feeling. In a panic, your eyes jumped to everyone else at the table, but no one else noticed. When you couldn't erase the burning sensation of his eyes digging into you, you finally returned the gaze. Yet he did nothing else but stare and chew his food. So this is how he liked to play his games huh? Watching his opponents squirm in their seats? Well, damn him!

Your mother managed to stir up some conversation again by mentioning the weather or something. You, on the other hand, quietly retrieved the note that you had hidden in your shoe sock.

This was it. If you waited any longer, then Dio might do something more damaging.

The folded piece of paper plopped onto the floor from your hand. You placed your shoe on top and pressed it there. The next part you would have to do right. You scanned the table and saw that everyone was distracted. Bringing the glass that contained water to your lips, you drank a bit to seem natural. But in those few seconds, you lost the attention of the boy across from you when right now you needed his eyes on you.

With your free hand, you tapped the table thrice. Fortunately, he was attentive. He looked at you with a smug grin, do you have something to say? You looked at him, then the space between on the table, trying to get him to pay attention to that spot on the floor. Him, floor. Him, floor.

Yet the blond bastard didn't seem to be making the connection. That's when you decided that the eye movement just wasn't working and tapped his foot. A slight bump to the side of his shoe. It must've surprised him as he stiffened up, but he didn't react in any other way as the light shoe tap wasn't an accident nor meant in hostility. If he had been any dumber, though, he might've gone and kicked you in return.

That's when you moved the note closer to him with your foot. Tap tap, and slight head nudge. You could tell from the vibration on the ground that he was feeling around with his foot, then he stopped when he finally got the note. After a curious glance he gave you, there was the slight sound of friction against the carpet as he pulled the note towards him, so quiet that you wouldn't have heard if you weren't listening for it.

The plan was now in motion. Your stomach didn't have enough room for food anymore as it filled with anticipation. At this moment, he was discreetly opening the note under the table and trying to read its contents without getting caught. It was easy enough, a small paper with few words scrawled on it.

Let's strike up a deal.

🦇
~switch to Dio's PoV~

Slowly the corners of his lips lifted upwards, forming a small, snide smile. Oh how Dio wanted to burst out laughing at that moment. Ha! A deal? That's how you planned to save yourself? Ha ha!

He'll admit that it caught him by surprise at first when he saw you exiting the carriage. He maintained his composure, of course, but he hesitated for a second. You were undoubtedly the girl from a week ago who meddled in his business and led him on a chase into the forest.

But the hesitation was only a fleeting feeling when the situation eventually hit him. You were in his home, as his guest. The hunting fever, the lust of destroying those who wronged him, those feelings stirred within him. He was the predator who managed to get his prey in his sights again. Instantly he was brewing up ways to torment you.

As he lost himself in his thoughts, he nearly forgot that he was addressing your family. Your movements reeled him back into reality though. Elegantly, you came up to him, a great contrast to the way that you climbed those trees. If it weren't for your face he wouldn't have been able to tell that you were the same person. Your garment was vastly different as well, from a dress practically torn to shreds by the branches to this childish, too-many-bows dress that was only made worse by the person wearing it. You even had the boldness to introduce yourself to him first. That was the moment that he knew that he was going to put you in your place.

But there was also one thing he had to make sure of. After his humiliating defeat against Jonathan in the fist-fight that his father had to break up, Dio swore that he would keep his good-student façade up even around Jonathan, while also swearing to never forget the feeling of losing in that manner- no matter how many years it's been. With you, an uncertain variable in the equation, his plan might get ruined. So above all else, it's crucial that he makes sure you keep your mouth shut and not tell a single other soul of what happened that fateful day with Erina.

Underneath the dinner table, the piece of paper crumpled into a ball in the palm of his hand. Who did you think you were? Daring enough to make such a risky move. The more he thought about it the more it didn't make sense- you didn't walk into the house with a paper or a pen. Does that mean that you were planning to give this to him, even if he didn't do anything? Ha! How absurd! Although... it did intrigue him. What could this child be thinking?

With only a few words he could destroy this business deal and ruin your entire family, so it wouldn't hurt to entertain your little idea for a while. Who knows, besides forcing you to keep quiet, he could twist this situation around to benefit him.

🐍
~normal Pov~

Just do it already you wimp.
You turned to face Mother, who sat on your right. She hadn't spoken to you all evening, rather keeping watch on all the mistakes you were doing now to scold you about them later.

"Mother?" You spoke in a hushed voice.

"Yes my dear?" She responded much too nicely.

"May I be excused from the table to go to powder my nose?"

"If you must."

With a subtle head nod to Dio, you stood up.

You excused yourself from the table then walked around the long table and towards the door that entered into the hallway. Not a moment after you exited the room, a female servant approached, most likely deducing that you needed to find the powder room. You excused yourself though and waited a minute, and that's when Dio joined you outside the room.

"Follow me," he said without stopping. The large strides he took seemed purposeful, as if he wanted to leave you behind or make himself feel superior in some strange way.

As you followed Dio's lead around the house, the female servant from before seemed to disappear. When you finally moved your nervous eyes to look at the blonde, you saw him holding his arm at a right angle with a clenched fist. No doubt that it was a signal for the servants, asking not to be followed. Dio only got adopted recently, correct? Was it even possible for him to already have all the servants wrapped around his finger!?

As soon as he caught you staring, you diverted your eyes to your surroundings. The hallway was decorated with modern wallpaper and soft carpets. Etched wooden borders surrounded large glass windows that allowed the light of the afternoon sun into the hallway, bringing attention to the expensive oil paintings that lined up against the walls ever so often. It was certainly a beautiful home. Yes, the epitome of a higher-middle class English home. In other words, your mother's dream home.

"I suppose this is far enough." He said at once, stopping and turning towards you. You took a step back, but he pounced forward and grabbed your shoulders, pushing you up against the wall.

"You got some guts (Y/n), I'll give you that. Did you find out that your family was invited to a dinner with mine before or after you decided to meddle in my affairs?"

He gave another one of his snark, condescending smiles. You only glared at him, knowing that he wasn't actually expecting a response. "I take that as the latter then, considering that this is a desperate attempt to fix your mistakes. Entertain me, what's this deal you were hoping to do with me?"

Keep a cool head. Give him reactions that he wouldn't be expecting. That's how you outsmart him.

You took a deep breath before saying, "I want to start off by saying that I will not apologize for my actions. I believe that I was in the right."

The boy's face turned sour. This wasn't the 'begging for mercy' conversation that he was hoping for.

You forced yourself to maintain eye contact, "But... I do regret the consequences of my actions. That being said, our fight was interrupted last time. Neither of us won and it felt very... unsatisfying. I believe that you feel the same. So I propose a rematch."

Now that made Dio raise a brow.

You continued, "Not another physical fight, I'm obviously at a disadvantage, but rather a battle of wits. Checkers, chess, cards-" "You know how to play cards?" Dio interrupted. Sure, it was uncommon for higher class women to know how to play cards, but out of everything you've said so far, that's what caught his attention?

You rolled your eyes. "It's a skill my father taught me to entertain my future husband. Anyways, any game you want to play, that's my deal-"

"Really, is that all? Well I'm quite disappointed I must say," He backed away from the wall and finally released you from his grip. He watched as you crossed your arms to touch the sore spots on your shoulders where his hands just were. He ignored it and continued, "This whole thing was quite a bold thing to do, so I was expecting something... more. Tell me, why in the world should I agree to that? Just to get the satisfaction of winning? It feels as though you owe me a lot more than that."

"That's because you haven't let me finish!" You barked. You stood up straight again, staring down at the boy. Your plan wasn't as simple as asking him for a rematch! You've put lots of thoughts and many days of planning into this.

"My father has put aside some land for my future spouse, but I know where the deeds are and I'd be able to swipe a few without arousing suspicion."

A small smirk formed on his lips. Ah, this was was the opportunity he hoping for. "So you want to put down some bets?"

Maybe he would go through with this after all and make you indebted to him. You seemed smart enough to serve as a useful tool if he needed one in the future.

"Yes, to make it worthwhile. And one more thing I'd like to add. If you do decide to agree to this rematch and to bet something of equal value, I also want to add a condition that the victor gets to command what the losing party does. Of course, something that doesn't cross certain lines. For me, I wish for you to not bother Erina again and to not interrupt in my family's business."

This was it, the big plan. The very thing that stole many hours of your sleep to create. How would he react?

"...Those conditions seem fair. But this thing with Erina, you seem to misunderstand. It was her fault for fiddling around with Jonathan. She should've kept her distance when she knew I was trying to make his life miserable."

That was complete horseshit and you both knew it, but from the way his eyes pieced through you when he said it, it's almost as if he actually expected you to believe it.

He didn't skip a beat while changing the topic, "I'll bet a plot of vineyard land that George has. I also know where his deeds are kept. An equal wager, no?"

"As long as it won't cause any problems, then that's perfect. Now, what are your conditions if you win?" You asked.

"That I'll decide later."

You didn't like that. There was a sort of mischievous tone as he said it, and with a lot of time, Dio could plot something horrible. Painfully there was nothing you could do about it now, so you waited for him to continue.

"When do you think is the best time for this to take place? I'm not free whenever you want you know," He said.

"With our fathers now working together for this contract, I assume that we'll be seeing a whole lot more of each other. Just another reason to get this disagreement over with. The next time I visit your house should be okay, shouldn't it be?"

Dio sounded quite irritated as he stated, "That works, but let's make one thing clear. That man is not my father and don't refer to him as such."

With how politely he usually spoke to Mr. Joestar, you couldn't have possibly imagined that Dio held such hostility towards the man. His talent for hiding his true feelings was really impressive you admit, but it wasn't as if you weren't playing the same game.

"So we have a deal?" You extended your hand. As he put his hand into yours, you both gave an awfully firm handshake.

"Perfect," He said. "Now that that's over, we should be heading back." So naturally he turned towards the direction of the dining room. But he hesitated for some reason and didn't start taking steps forwards. Instead he hummed, then with his back facing you he said, "Actually there's one last thing I'd like to show you. Something to solidify this deal of ours."

Although your mind quickly flooded with panic on what those ominous words could've possibly meant, you swallowed those bitter feelings and muttered a quick, "Alright."

As he lead you through the halls, it became blatantly obvious how his pace was quicker than before. Not only did that feel very off, but the way that he didn't dare look you in the eyes while talking felt very 'icky'. Just in case, you began memorizing each hallway and door so you could find your way back if needed. It was unnecessary though, when Dio stopped at a room only a few doors down.

He swung open the door and immediately beelined inside. You stayed at the doorframe a bit longer, stuck in awe of the sight of the immense room. Endless rows of books and bookshelves upon bookshelves of literary texts. Was that a ladder you saw? Goodness, your house only had one tiny shelf.

It didn't take Dio more than a few seconds to grab what he needed from the drawer inside the desk. When he finally looked up from the middle of the room and noticed the shine in your eye, he smirked. For someone so normally composed, it was such a drastic change to see you gaze at those books with a child-like wonder. It only fueled his ego when he imagined how envious you must be of him.

To regain your attention, he began flaunting a familiar yellow book above his head. You managed to pry your eyes from the bookshelves and watch his hands, wondering what in the world he was doing. With an overdramatic flair, he flipped opened the book to the last pages and used his pointer finger to trace the lineswhile reading them out loud,

"How to Escape My Life's Imprisonment...," he snickered, "What a curious little title, isn't it?"

It's your...

how did he...

how could he-?

That book's supposed to be safe at home! Why is it here!?

You must've completely forgotten that your precious book was missing, you assumed that it was tucked away with the rest them that your parents confiscated! How could you forget about it? No rather, how dare you forget about it?

How could you have made such a foolish mistake?

For the first time in your life, it was as if thoughts stopped flowing through your brain. Each beat of your heart trembled painfully in your chest, like a restless butterfly in a jar that couldn't stop slamming itself against the glass.

Why? Out of everyone on this earth, why did it have to be this boy to find out your secrets? He undoubtingly read the writings, likely laughed and entertained himself with your innermost thoughts. Got amused by your dreams and desires for the future. Probably cracked himself up by your foolish plans formed by your foolish words.

"How-!"

"It's quite an interesting choice for a journal, I'll say. Most people use notebooks or even scrap paper to write down their plans, yet you chose the back of a novel- of Dracula of all books." He gained a wicked grin as he began to read more of the pages out loud, 'Step 1: Bide time. Good plans cannot be rushed'. That's true, I've had to remind myself of that a few times.'Step 2'-".

"Stop reading it, I beg of you! Your threat is well understood!" You cried.

With satisfaction written across his face, he shut the book in his hands and continued, "I found it when I climbed down the tree, right next to my feet, and I managed to snatch it before that stupid old man chased me out of the forest with his pitchfork. I fancy myself with books from time to time so I couldn't help but start reading it, but I couldn't have possibly prepared myself for the surprise at the end of the novel! It was even better than the ending of the story itself," He chuckled to himself while you continued staring in dismay.

He went on, "Initially I was planning to show your parents this at the end of dinner, but good thing I waited, or else I wouldn't have been able to hear your enticing offer. Thus I've decided not to show Mr and Mrs. L/n this book yet, to save them from the heartbreak of finding out that their only daughter is plotting to buy herself a ticket to America and disappear forever."

You bit back your tongue and allowed him to throw his insults. For him to show this book to your parents would mean the end of your world as you knew it. What he held in his hands was the place where you poured out your heart, where wrote down your many daydreams of escaping. For the past 3 years of your life you've written in that book since it was the only place no one else would ever look. The plan was that by 16 you were going to have secretly worked enough money to buy a ticket for a boat and escape this prison. But if your parents ever found out? You'd be forced to marry much younger and still be under your parents' watchful gazes. This bastard probably figured most of that out too...

"What do you want then, you arse? You showed me this for a reason, so what is it?" You fumed.

"Tsk tsk, no need to be so aggressive! I'll just keep this book here to make sure that you keep your half of the deal. Isn't that fair enough, since there's no time to create a contract? Signing this book should be equally as binding in your situation," keeping the book in one hand, he reached out to grab an ink and quill with his other.

You chipped in, "But then what of you? How can I know that you won't merely ignore your half of the deal? I hope you know that I trust you as far as I can throw you-"

"Ha! How amusing that you're in no place to negotiate, yet you're still barking commands!" He thought twice then said, "Fine, I solemnly swear on my honor as a gentleman that I will fulfill my part of the deal, whether I win or lose. Now come sign this," he ordered.

Riddled with doubts but nothing you could do about it, you grabbed the quill and ink and approached him. He was not at all discreet with how he tightened his grip on the book so that you couldn't try to rip it from his hands and run away. It pained you even more upon seeing how dented and damaged the cover had gotten from when you used it as a shield.

He flipped to the very last page and at the top was the final written part of your plan. As you read it one last time you were reminded of how foolish you were, and was beginning to feel as childish as the dress you were wearing. Once reaching America, sell the jewelry that Mother will hand over, find a cozy little home, and try to find a place at work. No matter how hard it is, it will certainly still be more freeing than home.

At the very bottom of the page there was still some room to write. Though your hand shook and it made your handwriting appear messy, you managed to scribble your name legibly enough.

- (Y/N) (L/N)

You lifted your glare to look him directly in the eyes. "Satisfied?" You attempted to say boldly, even if your life was literally in his hands.

"More than," he grinned.

You precisely yet aggressively threw the quill back inside the ink pot as Dio, still holding the book, slammed it shut. Glaring at the book for a few seconds, you wished that the pages would catch on fire under your gaze.

You filled your lungs with a hasty breath and held it for a second. It's in moments like these where a person has to give an unexpected response. Otherwise, they will look weak and fragile.

"Wait here 5 minutes before returning to the dining room. It'd look suspicious if we both returned together," you stated simply.

He looked annoyed as he raised a brow. "Tch, who do you think you are to start telling me what to do? I think you've forgotten that even without showing your parents this book I can still unravel your father's business agreement in less time than it would take for you to finish your food."

His threat shook you a bit, but you didn't let him see it. You spun on your heel and started walking out of the room. "Simple, I'm already on my way out of here. Two lefts one right then straight, right?"

Despite his protests, you were already gone. That woman has some nerve, he thought to himself. In the end it didn't matter, though, since by your own rules you'll eventually have to bend to his every will and whim. That'll be after you lose to him at your own game, of course. Since the situation is so delightfully in the palm of his hands, he'll tolerate your arrogance just this once before he put you back in your place. Hopefully you'll be an entertaining toy, enjoyable enough to add some amusement in his life while he's practicing his 'good student and son' act. Leaning on the desk once more, he opened up Dracula in his hands to a random page to wait out the 5 minutes. At the very least, you had decent taste in books.

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

321K 10.3K 23
Your family is a close friend of the Joestar's and one day hear about the newest addition to the Joestar's family, so your father decides that you sh...
403 32 11
⋄⊱─────༺♡༻─────⊰⋄ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐒 ⋄⊱─────༺♡༻─────⊰⋄ ...
180K 4K 16
You're stolen from your home by one of Dio's henchmen, forced to become one of his handmaidens. You struggle to escape the prison, but the strange ma...
4.4K 117 11
Days after Dio kissed Jonathan's love Erina without her consent and then murdered Jonathan's dog Danny, his reaction to Jonathan's crying turned from...