The Water Alchemist

By StarryClosure

When a teenage girl falls from the sky engulfed in a red glow, a certain state alchemist and his brother set... More

Dream State
A Chance Encounter
Uncertain Certainty
All Aboard
Hammer and Nails
Faulty Memory
A Grave House
Helpless
Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back
The Cut
Dead Ends
Keep No Secrets
Difficult Discoveries
Revelation
Chasing Time
Heavy Interference
Getting Somewhere
Chosen Family
Conviction
Sweet Naïveté
Venomous Consequences
The Way It Follows You
Swallowed Fear
True to Form
Unraveled
The Price of Freedom
See It Through
Uncharted Waters
What Lies Ahead
The Jury Is Out
Grave Dweller
Things Left Unsaid
Where We Stand
House Of Cards
Blind Faith
Insurance
Unlikely Ally
The Longest Night
Equivalent Exchange
The Awakening
After
Growing Pains
Bittersweet Parting
The Chase
Look Before You Leap
An Alchemists Pride
Hands Of Fate
Resolve The Past
Deafening Silence
A Matter Of Trust
Convergence
Father
Reunion
Begin Again

Forward

564 20 4
By StarryClosure

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Forty-Two

Forward

***

Ed had let Marina cry for quite some time there in that back alley. It was heart-wrenching, seeing her so distraught, and he couldn't do anything to stop it. He knew this was inevitable, finding out the truth— but he hated seeing her so upset.

"It's really impossible," he heard her say into his chest.

"We don't know that yet," Ed said softly into her hair. "I'll figure something out." She shook her head with a shaky sigh.

"I appreciate it, Ed, but it's alright," she said, pulling away slightly, looking up at him with glassy eyes. "This isn't your problem— it's mine. So, don't worry, okay? I'm just grateful you're here."

Ed frowned as she nuzzled further into his chest, her forehead resting in the crook of his neck, and he sighed frustratedly. He had the words formulated in his head, lingering at the tip of his tongue; 'I may be able to figure out a way to send you back'— but he couldn't say it. The way Father framed it, whatever had shown up on her stomach linked to her father and that journal of his. There had to be something in there, something that could explain that strange circle that had appeared briefly on her flesh. Though it was different – simpler in form – it reminded him of the human transmutation circle he had used to return from the void of Gluttony's stomach. If it were a different kind of transmutation circle, maybe one linked to her world that Ed hadn't seen before, it could be her ticket home. If he and Ling had managed to have crossed to Truth's gate using human transmutation, it was probable that she could too. Ed wanted to tell her. He almost had. But he swallowed the words back, holding her tighter instead. He decided that he wouldn't tell her, not until he could guarantee that she'd really return to her home safely. He wasn't sure how he could do that but decided it best not to get her hopes up until he could. He didn't want to let her down. Something else had stopped him from telling her, something he couldn't quite explain, but it was something he at the very least understood to be selfish. Whatever that something was, it wasn't for her sake he hadn't mentioned it.

"We should probably head back. I'm sure Al is waiting for us," Ed said eventually. Marina sniffled.

"Right," she said, pulling away. She wiped her face, red and blotchy. They began making their way back, and just before they reached the hotel, a military officer came running up to them. Ed stepped out in front of Marina warily, still unsure of who in the military could be trusted or not.

"You're a state alchemist, right?" the man asked, pointing to the pocket watch chain on Ed's hip.

"I might be," Ed answered skeptically.

"Could you come and help us fix a woman's balcony?" the man asked, gesturing down the street.

"I would, but I've got to get my friend inside, sorry—" Ed began, but he felt a light tap on his arm. He turned to Marina.

"It's alright, Ed," she said. "You can go." Ed looked between Marina and the officer.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" he asked.

"I'll be fine. Al should be back," she said, taking the coat he had draped over her from her shoulders. She held it out to him, letting him shrug his arm into the sleeve, helping him get his other arm into it. As she moved her hand away, Ed grasped it.

"I'll be back soon," he said, squeezing her hand once, feeling a little guilty for running out on her like that. She nodded with a smile, but Ed could tell it was forced. They parted, and he watched as she disappeared into the hotel before following the soldier.

Luckily, the clean-up job wasn't far from the hotel, and with a quick clap, miraculously, his alchemy was back. He stared into his hands, a little dumbfounded. After a chat with the military officers, Ed learned that other alchemists in Central were also unable to transmute early that morning. Whatever that Father guy had done affected all of Central, not just under Central Command. What exactly had he done that had prevented their use of it? Ed had a feeling it had to do with the weird wave of energy that flowed from him, but he couldn't explain it. And it didn't explain how Scar and that little girl had control of their alchemy. What had they done differently? He had to know. He pondered if it were another type of alchemy, one he hadn't seen before. Ling had said something once of alkahestry; was that it? If it was, he needed to know all about it. There was a chance that their alchemy could help them get their bodies back and maybe help him better understand the theories formulating in his head about the circle that had appeared on Marina. He shoved his hands in his pockets, realizing he was still somehow holding onto the gun Hawkeye had given him. He inspected the bloody barrel, deciding to run by the Lieutenants quickly before heading back to the hotel to devise their next move.

The Lieutenants apartment wasn't too far, and she was quick to let him in and put on a pot of coffee for her unexpected guest. Ed sat quietly, the gun resting on the table as he waited for her. He couldn't shake the image of the souls he had used in his transmutation, how miserable each one seemed. It was jarring how something like that was once human. Even though Envy told him to, Ed couldn't deny them their humanity— after all, without it, he wouldn't have made it back. The Lieutenant emerged from the kitchen, setting a sobering cup of coffee in front of him. He shook his head, taking a sip from the steaming cup quickly, burning the tip of his tongue. It wasn't pleasant, but he had all but forgotten his previous musings. She eventually took a seat across from him after setting a tub with water and a few rags down, carefully dismantling the gun to clean it. Ed watched silently, unsure of what to say, nursing at the mug in his grasp.

"Looks like things got pretty serious," she observed, breaking the tension.

"Yeah, but I didn't use it. I didn't have to. Well, I— I couldn't pull the trigger," Ed said, and she paused her cleaning. Ed felt a lump in his throat and let out a strained chuckle trying to clear it. "It's pathetic, huh? If I just... well, I was just useless."

"Tell me what happened," she said, her hands moving again.

"You know Scar? I found out he murdered Winry's parents. She could have shot him, but deep down, I knew that would be wrong. And all of a sudden, that gun seemed like something evil. Next thing I knew, the Homunculi had Marina, and I couldn't shoot. I couldn't protect her. They hurt her, and I couldn't do anything but watch and hope she'd wake up," he said with a humorless laugh. "And what's worse, when she did, it was only to find out she wouldn't be able to go home. She couldn't stop crying. And I couldn't fix it. I'm useless."

"You're just dwelling on this stuff because you came back alive," she said thoughtfully. "I'm sure she's not expecting you to fix it."

"Well, no," Ed admitted, her words resurfacing in his mind.

This isn't your problem— it's mine.

"I know you want to help each other, but you can't lose sight of your goals. Marina knows that you can't fix every little thing for her, just as she can't fix all your problems either," the Lieutenant said, placing the part she was working on down, plucking a piece from the water to polish. "You need to focus on living, on moving forward. Both of you." Ed stared into his cup a moment at his distorted reflection. She had a point.

"Yeah," he sighed before lifting the cup to his lips.

"I mean, you love her, don't you?" she asked. Ed's face flared nearly instantly, his eyes going wide as his arm spasmed, sending more of the hot liquid down his larynx than he had originally intended. He spit it out to avoid aspiration, dousing poor Hayate in coffee and choking on the quick assumption the Lieutenant made.

"W-what makes you say that? She's... she's just— I care about her, but I—" he stumbled over his words, his heart beating erratically in his chest as he waved her off, waved off the notion that he— loved Marina.

He shook his head. Ed had plenty of people he cared about in his life, like Al, or Teacher, or Winry. He understood that. But what the Lieutenant was saying, implying; that was a whole other type of care. One he had convinced himself he wasn't familiar with, wasn't feeling. But he went quiet when he failed to produce words that would absolutely deny the notion, and her image still lingered in his mind. He blinked, swallowing on a dry mouth.

Damnit.

"Well, you care about her, at least," she chuckled at Ed's expense.

"Y-yeah," Ed mumbled into his cup.

"Sometimes, that's enough."

***

"Al?" I called, knocking on the door to the boy's hotel room. The sun had already set before I had heard Al come back. I was a little surprised he hadn't been there when I had returned, but I was able to wash my face and freshen up before I heard the familiar clanking of armor. There was a shuffling, and then Al was at the door.

"Marina, welcome back," he said, motioning me inside before looking beyond me. "Where's brother?"

"He got caught up doing some repairs for someone. He should be back soon," I said, though it had been a while since Ed had departed. I stopped at the couch, plopping into it. Al closed the door and joined me, sitting on the opposite chair. "How was Knox's? Is everyone doing alright?"

"It was— interesting," he said, and I rose a brow at him. "Apparently, the girl - Mei - and Lan Fan know each other, but their relationship is pretty hostile. They tried going at it, but Dr. Knox put a stop to that."

"Oh, wow," I said, running a hand through my hair. It was still a little damp around my face. I had assumed that the girl in Al's armor was Xingese by her clothes, but I hadn't realized she and Lan Fan would be at odds. I sat up a little suddenly. "What about the note?"

"Lan Fan received it successfully," he sighed, though his shoulders slumped. "I— I had to tell her about Ling." My gaze fell to the floor.

"How'd she take it?" I asked softly. Al shrugged.

"About as well as she could," he said, twirling his fingers over themselves. I nodded, and he tilted his head at me. "What about Elias? Were they there?"

"They were. He's doing well," I assured him.

"That's a relief," Al sighed, quietly thinking for a moment. "Do you think he'll get automail?"

"Actually, Ed offered to pay for it," I chuckled, remembering the oddness and sincerity of the exchange. Al jolted up, seeming just as surprised by that as I had been in the moment.

"Really?" he asked disbelievingly.

"I had the same reaction," I laughed, shoving my hands in my pockets. I was suddenly reminded of what laid in them. I unstuffed my pockets and laid the somewhat crumpled photo in my lap as I unfolded the piece of the journal that held my necklace.

"Oh, you got your necklace back," Al observed.

"Yeah," I said.

My thumb ran over the cool and smooth surface of the stone a moment before I pulled the chain over my head. It rested as it had once before against my chest, though it seemed maybe just a bit heavier now. I brushed my fingers over it, and it glowed suddenly, and I recoiled, a little startled at the sudden burst of light and heat. The burning in my stomach returned, and the stone at my chest matched its temperature. I cried out, gasping for air against the rising heat, and Al jumped to his feet to help me, but as soon as he stood, the light faded, and the sensation ceased. I heaved a breath, doubling over. Al caught me by my shoulders, holding me up.

"Marina, are you alright? What just happened?" Al asked concernedly.

"I— I don't know," I breathed, grabbing the necklace, intending to take it off. I stopped in my tracks, catching a glimpse of a faint line – no, a few lines, connected but fading fast – on the stone I hadn't seen before. Just as suddenly as it had appeared, it was gone. Al still hung onto my shoulders as I sat up on my own.

"How are you feeling?"

"Okay," I said, doing a mental scan, grasping at my head, pounding with the beat of my erratic pulse. "I think it was just because it's been so long since I've worn it. I feel like something similar happened the first time it was put on, but it's kind of fuzzy."

"Should you take it off?" Al asked, glancing at the paper that had fluttered to the floor, along with the picture of my parents. I shook my head.

"I think it's alright. I'll take it off if it happens again," I said. Al let me go gingerly, his hands hovering about me a moment before he pulled away completely.

"As long as you're okay," he said, collecting the papers from the floor and holding them a moment. "Marina, is this you?" I stiffened as I realized he was examining the picture of me with my parents. That pesky sadness lumped in my throat as he handed back the photograph.

"Yeah," I said quietly. I folded it, placing it back in my pocket, clearing my throat. "I uh, don't know if you had heard Elias out in the forest, but he told me— that he couldn't send me home." Al shifted a bit nervously.

"I heard," he admitted. Silence lingered in the stale air of the room, but a familiar weight fell on my shoulder, and I looked up at Al. "It'll be alright. Don't worry."

"Thanks, Al," I said, resting my hand over his, but I couldn't help the uneasiness in my stomach at his words. Ed had said something nearly identical in an attempt at comforting me, but I knew even then that this wasn't their problem to solve. It was mine. I had already relied on them for so much and had done so little in return. The least I could do was find a solution to my own problem— if a solution even existed.

"Of course," he said, perking up a bit. "When Ed gets back, we'll decide what to do next. Together." I nodded.

"Do you mind if I wait here until then?"

"Not at all. Make yourself comfortable," Al encouraged, grasping a book from a side table, flipping it open. I ended up pulling my legs onto the couch, settling into the soft fabric. It was inviting and soft, and before I knew it, I had dozed off.

***

"I'm back," Ed called into the room, shutting the door behind him before kicking off his boots. Al looked up from a book.

"Welcome back," he said, closing the hardcover. "You were out pretty late."

"Yeah, well, I kinda got caught up talking with the Lieutenant," Ed said, having a little trouble getting his left boot off. He shook his foot vigorously, determined not to use his hand, which propped against the door for balance.

"The Lieutenant?" Al asked.

"I stopped by to return her gun," Ed explained, finally shrugging the stubborn shoe off.

"What did you talk about?" Al asked as Ed hung up his coat and made his way to the couch.

"Well, about Ishval and—" Ed halted as he rounded the couch and noticed Marina there, sleeping soundly, bundled in a thick blanket. Ed's heart skipped a beat or two. "Marina?"

"Marina?" Al questioned.

"N-no, that's not what I meant to say!" Ed squeaked, but he could feel the heat rising to his ears as the Lieutenant's words tickled the back of his brain. Al moved his head in that way he did when he didn't believe Ed.

"Really? Then why are you all flustered?" Al teased, poking Ed's arm. Ed jumped back, trying to ignore the loud voices in his head spouting nonsense about the 'L' word.

"I'm not," Ed said through grit teeth. "Just drop it, Al."

"Wait," Al said as if realizing something, and Ed went rigid. "I was just joking, but— you were talking about her, weren't you?"

"Al!" Ed grunted as softly as he could, jerking his thumb at the sleeping lump he was trying not to think about lying on the couch.

"What did you talk about? You've never talked about Marina like that to me, brother!" Al whispered excitedly. He gasped suddenly, and Ed paled. "Did you finally realize that you lov—"

"Drop. It. Alphonse," Ed threatened, grasping Al by his shoulder plates. The serious fury in his eyes stared into the steady red orbs of his brother, and Al heaved a sigh.

"Fine, fine," he relented, much to Ed's relief. Ed took a step back, slumping into the opposite chair to Al wearily. He had had enough excitement for one day. Al crossed his arms. "So, what did you talk about, brother?"

"Just Ishval," Ed grumbled, trying to hide his ever-reddening face. He desperately needed a change of gears. "What's been going on here?"

"Wait, let me wake Marina. She tried waiting up," Al said, moving to stand.

"No, don't," Ed said quickly. He chanced a look at Marina, sleeping peacefully. She looked much more at ease than she had been earlier. "Let her sleep."

He realized he was staring before catching himself, coming to his senses. Al settled back into his chair, having heeded his brother's request as he explained what had happened quietly to one another since they had parted, and he had headed to Knox. Ed described the bulk of his day in all its weightiness. He spoke about Ishval and the Colonel's plans to become Fuhrer one day. They even discussed what they planned on doing when they got their bodies back before eventually discussing what would happen to the girl on the couch.

"It's hard to accept that she can't go back," Al observed. Ed crossed his arms, leaning into the back of the chair. "She seemed upset."

"She was," Ed sighed, resting his chin over his knuckles. "She took it pretty hard. I may have a theory in the works to send her home, but I need to do more research."

"Really?" Al exclaimed excitedly, and Ed shushed him. They looked at the girl on the couch, still soundly sleeping, and sighed a bit relieved. Al spoke in more of a hushed tone. "That's great, Ed. When are you going to tell her?"

"I'm not going to," Ed said, crossing his arms. "Not yet, at least."

"What? Why not?" Al asked. Ed looked over to check to make sure the sleeping girl was still out of it.

"I don't want to get her hopes up," Ed said quietly, clenching his fists.

"I get it," Al nodded eventually, looking at her sleeping face, still a little puffy from earlier. "I'm just glad there's still a chance for her. Even though it makes me sad to think she'll be... gone."

"Yeah," Ed agreed, dropping his gaze glumly. He knew the feeling Al was describing well.

"I know things are rough right now, but I'm starting to cheer up," Al said, pumping his fist. Ed managed to crack a half-smile at his brother's optimism. He had asked him earlier what he wanted to do first when they got their bodies back, and predictably, Al had said he wanted to eat Winry's apple pie. Ed wanted more than anything for that to be his reality, and he was willing to do whatever was necessary to make that happen.

"Well, I found a trace of hope for us," Ed said, and Al hummed in questioning. "You know how our alchemy wouldn't work when we were under Central Command? Guess what? It wasn't working above ground either."

"But, what about Scar and that girl?" Al asked.

"Exactly. They were the only ones who could use it," Ed said, tapping the edge of his chair.

"Well, if that's the case, they're doing something different," Al mused. "Something with their alchemy that we don't know about."

"Yeah, which means we haven't hit a dead end yet," Ed said, a grin breaking out across his face. Al rocked forward excitedly.

"We can go back to Knox's tomorrow and ask her about it," he suggested.

"Alright, that's a start," Ed said. "And since Marina is going to be busy at Elias's, we can ask her about the circle on Marina. Maybe it was alkahestry."

"Good idea," Al hummed. The lump on the couch began to stir, and the brothers looked at each other quickly.

"Remember, if Marina asks, we're just looking into getting our bodies back," Ed emphasized quietly.

"Right," Al agreed.

"What's going on?" a small voice asked groggily, and the boys turned to Marina, who shifted into a stretch under the covers. She yawned before blinking at them, her eyes unfocused.

"Look who decided to join the living," Ed joked, looking to the window. It was pitch black outside by then, and from what he could tell, late in the night.

"Sorry," she said, rubbing her eyes, sitting up. "I wanted to be awake when you got back, but I must have gotten too comfortable."

"Don't sweat it. You're going to be at Elias's tomorrow, right?" he asked.

"Oh, right," she said as if just remembering the commitment she had made. "I will be. Why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," Ed assured her. "We've got a lead we want to follow, so I wanted to make sure you'd be set for the day."

"What's the lead?" she asked, swinging her legs over the couch, a little more alert.

"I want to look into the alchemy that Scar and the little girl used under Central," Ed said, and she screwed her nose up at him.

"But we couldn't use our alchemy," she observed.

"Right, but they could," he reminded her before realizing she had been knocked out for that portion of events. "They busted in there while you were out of it. We're going to see the girl at Knox's tomorrow and ask some questions."

"Oh, I get it," she said. "That's a good idea. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help." Ed smirked and stood, holding his hand out to her.

"I'll see you back to your room. We've both got long days ahead of us," he said. She smiled, taking his hand as he helped her to stand.

***

As I promised, I returned the next day to the refugee camp to help take care of things. Al and Ed were on a mission for information at Knox's, so I left them to it, hoping the trip would yield some good results. When I got there, Nessa greeted me quickly and showed me where everything I would need was before handing me a note and running out the door. She worked during the day, and Ivey slept, prepping for the night— leaving me to handle whatever was on the list Nessa left for me. I got through the chores quickly since Elias had come down with a fever, and all he required was a change in dressing every few hours. Ivey woke up to do that, which was quite a relief to me. I was sure if I had been the one to do it, Elias would have thrown a fit. He was already hostile when I brought him water or changed the wet rag on his forehead. I was finishing up their dinner when Ivey emerged into the kitchen, having just redressed Elias's wound.

"Hey there," I said, stirring the pot. I was cooking up some stew, just like Pinako had taught me.

"Hey," she said, coming up beside me, looking over my shoulder.

"How's Elias?" I asked. I had heard him groaning and raising his voice occasionally, and I could tell by the look on Ivey's face that the whole ordeal was taking a toll. She sighed, leaning her back against the counter.

"Angsty as ever, I'm afraid," she half-joked before her tone turned serious. "He was struggling a bit earlier." I furrowed my brow.

"What do you mean?"

"He's been having pretty bad phantom pains," she said, rustling her hair. "On top of a fever, he's really feeling it."

"I see," I said with a frown, staring into the pot I was working on. My stomach lurched, remembering the red of his blood pooling around me, mimicked in the bright red of the stew. I closed my eyes, feeling a little queasy.

"Mind if I taste?" she asked.

"Not at all," I said, handing over the spoon and taking a step back from the pot. Ivey leaned over, taking a small taste. She made a satisfied hum before turning to me.

"Not half bad. A little on the salty side, but a little lemon juice does wonders. You staying to eat?" Ivey asked. I shook my head and collected my bag.

"No, I'm alright. I'm going to head out," I said, moving to the door.

"See you tomorrow?" she asked. I thought for a moment.

"I'll check with Ed, but if it's alright, I'll be back at the same time," I said, and Ivey nodded before I turned the corner, leaving their little home.

The walk back to the hotel was long enough to settle the unease in my stomach, but it did little to ease the ache in my heart. It was difficult being there, knowing he was in so much pain because of me. I wondered briefly if the boys had made it back yet. I chanced a knock on their door, and to my surprise, Ed answered.

"You're back," he said, looking exhausted. I cocked my head to the side.

"Long day?" I asked. He nodded dully.

"You don't even know," he said, leaning into the doorframe. He started flicking at the little antenna of hair that stuck out from his bangs. "Called Knox up this morning, and the girl high-tailed it out of here."

"You're kidding," I said, rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Nope," he sighed, crossing his arms. "So, then we went around town peddling posters we made of that weird cat with her, and then the Colonel showed up and dropped us off at Knox's, in hopes she had come back. Spoiler— she didn't."

"Did you at least find out where she was heading?" I asked. He shook his head defeatedly.

"No, we didn't. But Lan Fan's going back to Xing with Fu. Did you know the old guy was her grandfather?" he asked, and I looked at him, surprised.

"Uh, no," I said. I really don't remember much at all, do I? I wondered inwardly as he went on about how he and Al were going to tear Central apart until they found her.

"And when we do, I'll make her show us how to use alkahestry," he said, balling his fist in the air.

"I believe you," I chuckled.

"How was Elias's?" he asked.

"Oh, fine," I said, adjusting my bag over my shoulder. "Actually, I was wondering if it'd be alright if I went back tomorrow?" I watched him a bit nervously, but to my surprise, he nodded.

"Sure, I don't see why not," he said, scratching the back of his head. "We can't do much until we find that girl. I'd feel better knowing you're staying out of trouble anyway."

"Right," I said, shifting in the doorway. "Ed, can I... can I ask you something that might be too personal?" Ed blinked a moment, processing what I had asked before narrowing his eyes and raising a skeptical eyebrow at me.

"Yes?"

"You seem so sure," I teased.

"Well, that's cause I don't know what it is," he huffed, and I laughed. "Just ask before I think too hard about it."

"Alright, well, do you... or maybe, I guess did you get phantom pains in your arm and leg?" I asked tentatively. His eyes widened in surprise before he hung his head, carefully examining the hardwood floors.

"Uh, yeah," he said, gripping his right arm. I bit my lip, feeling like I might have overstepped.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked," I said on the retreat.

"I'm sure Elias is probably experiencing some, am I right?" he deduced. "That's why you asked?" I nodded, scuffing my sneaker against the floor.

"I was just wondering if there was anything to— I don't know, ease it, I guess," I said, grasping at the back of my neck nervously. He leaned into the frame of the door, lifting his automail and inspecting it a moment.

"Well, you came to the right person," he said softly, turning to meet my avoidant gaze. There was a pain in his eyes that seemed distant somehow, like the ache of a past life resurfacing. He turned back, clenching his fist. "I experienced it a lot as a kid. I still get them, sometimes. There's nothing for it, unfortunately. You just, kinda ride it out." I watched as he flexed his automail, the metal catching the dim light of the hall.

"Thank you for sharing with me, Ed," I said as he dropped his hand. I hadn't even thought about the lingering effects of being an amputee, and it was forcing me to see Ed in a whole new light, a new respect. He shouldered his burdens well, but it didn't mean they weren't heavy. "I appreciate it."

"Yeah," he said, shaking his head. "Anytime." I sucked in a breath, desperate to ease the tension.

"You said you made posters? Can I see?" I asked, and he brightened.

"Yeah, hang tight," he said, disappearing into the room before returning and handing off a crude drawing of a big-mouthed, many toothed black-and-white creature that didn't look anything at all like the panda that belonged to that little girl. I bit my lips together, nodding vigorously, trying not to laugh. "Good, right?"

"Mhmm," I hummed, but a chuckle escaped my lips, and his confused look sent me over the edge. I burst into laughter, clutching at my stomach.

"It's good!" Ed said, defending his artwork, and I laughed harder until tears welled in my eyes, and even he couldn't keep from smiling, though I could tell he was trying so hard to be smug, leaning into the frame.

"Ed, please tell me you didn't hand these out," I said between laughs. He took the paper, inspecting it before he was laughing as hard as I was.

"I did," he chuckled. "Look, I'm an alchemist, not an artist, lay off!" I shook my head, wiping my eyes, my stomach twisted in that good feeling that lingered after a hearty chuckle.

"Well, let me help you before you hand any more out tomorrow," I said, motioning to the room. Ed shook his head with a grin as he let me in, and he, Al, and I spent half the night laughing and drawing our best renditions of the panda.

***

The second day at Elias's was like the first, but as the day dwindled along with my tasks, Ivey asked me to assist with the changing of Elias's bandages. Elias wasn't too thrilled to have an audience, but Ivey didn't pay him much heed before getting to work, undoing his bandages carefully. His breathing was labored, and his cheeks were quite flushed, still clearly with fever. I held her toolbox in my lap quietly, waiting anxiously to see what exactly was concealed by the bandages. To my relief, as they fell to the floor, they revealed a simple and long stitch up his side.

"Not as unsightly anymore, huh?" Ivey asked, and I nodded. "That would be thanks to my handy work." Elias groaned, startling me.

"Braggart," he murmured. He shut up as she wiped the area down with alcohol, hissing through his teeth as she did it.

"Well, I did do a decent job. I should take my due credit," Ivey said cheekily, finished with the alcohol and moving on to the dressings, digging around the box in my lap for them.

"When can I get the automail surgery?" Elias asked, and I perked up, also curious to hear the answer. Ivey's jaw tightened slightly, and her hands moved slower.

"You can't go alone, but Nessa and I already have been scheduled to work. We requested off for two months out," Ivey said gently. Elias shot up.

"Two months?" Elias gasped weakly, sweat beading at his forehead. I frowned as Ivey coaxed him to lay back. He looked on the verge of tears, resting his forearm over his face. "This is excruciating as it is." The room went silent as his words hung in the air, and Ivey finished.

"Alright, see you in a few hours," she said softly, ruffling his hair. He groaned slightly, but the fever had already knocked him back out. I stood quietly and followed Ivey from the room.

"Is two months really the earliest he can get the surgery?" I asked as we entered the kitchen. She moved to the stove to inspect the curry I was preparing for them.

"Unfortunately, yes," she said, and I frowned. She tasted it and smiled at me. "Lemon?"

"Orange, actually," I said, pointing across the counter. "I read it in that cookbook over there." She looked to the little shelf next to the sink, at the thick-spined book I had pulled earlier for the recipe.

"Not bad, kid," she complimented, taking another bite. I smiled as she left me to my simmering pot, and I got back to the list Nessa left me.

An hour or so had passed, and I went to check on Elias, bringing him a warmed bowl of curry and fresh water, though I noticed he hadn't finished the one I had brought in that morning. I sat them both down at the side table, carefully removing the rag from his forehead. I dunked it into the basin at his bedside, letting it rest there as I attempted to wake him. He gasped suddenly, jolting awake. I moved back as he sat up, grabbing at the air where his arm had been, crying out. Are these phantom pains? I wondered, my heart slamming in my chest as he clenched the fabric at his shoulder. I rested a tentative hand at his back as he shook and cursed through grit teeth. I bit down on my bottom lip so hard I could taste copper, but I was utterly useless. There wasn't anything I could do to help him except wait it out. Eventually, his body eased, and his breathing evened, though sweat dripped from the edges of his hair. I grabbed the fresh water and held it out to him, and he took it greedily, nearly swallowing the whole thing in one gulp, finishing it off with a sharp breath. I took the emptied glass and set it to the table, and we sat in painfully awkward silence.

"Elias, I'm really sorry. This is all my fault," I said quietly, clenching my fists over my knees, unable to meet his eye. I had no idea just how excruciating experiencing phantom pains would be, but I hadn't imagined it being so brutal, so taxing. Not until now. And it was all my fault. My thoughts trailed from Elias to the nurse, who suffered an even graver consequence; things could have been different for them both if I hadn't gotten involved. I was the link that threw them into turmoil. "I'm sorry." Elias eyed me before letting out a sigh.

"Would you stop apologizing already? It's annoying," he said, gripping down harder on his opposite shoulder as if to hide what wasn't there.

"Right, sor—"

I caught myself as he glared at me, and I snapped my mouth shut. He sighed.

"I'm tired of the pitiful look you keep giving me," he said, turning to me. I averted my gaze, looking to the side table.

"I, uh, made curry," I said, grabbing the bowl and holding it out for him. He looked at it a bit skeptically, but his stomach growled, and he snatched the bowl from my hands, settling it in his lap. "Do you need help?"

He just glared at me as he shoveled a spoonful into his mouth. I watched a little warily as he chewed, wondering if he'd like it. I knew he hadn't eaten much in the past few days, so I didn't want the first solid thing he ate to be repulsive. His facial expression didn't change, but he took another bite and another.

"It's good," he mumbled into his fourth bite, and the corner of my mouth lifted slightly. I hadn't been able to shake the conversation from earlier, looking at his shoulder. Two months was a long time to wait to return to even an ounce of normalcy. And it didn't account for the recovery time. I took a deep breath, already formulating a plan in my head. I couldn't change what mistakes I had already made. But I could do whatever was in my power to ease the burden of them. I had nothing but time.

***

From the iron-wrought gates of Central City Prison emerged a man – perhaps, ironically – donned in all white, down to the hat he wore over his charcoal hair. The Warden watched with a sort of helplessness as a man he believed to be soulless walked free, avoiding a previously almost certain death sentence. The gates clamored shut behind him, and The Crimson Alchemist, Solf J. Kimblee, breathed a breath of freedom.

"Now then," he said, gazing upon the streets of Central, much changed since he had last seen them all those years ago when he had first been put away. "What next?" There was a honk as if to answer his question, and Kimblee looked over to see a car parked a few feet away. He took the initiative to greet whoever was operating the vehicle, striding to the car, letting himself into the back seat.

"It's been a while, Kimblee," the soldier said as Kimblee closed the door to the car. The man turned as a red spark engulfed his face, and long dark tendrils fell around the visage of the Homunculi he had come to know as Envy, who grinned back at him. "Congrats on the early release." Kimblee's mouth contoured into a sly smirk.

"So, I take it I have you guys to thank?" Kimblee asked as he changed back into the soldier.

"Yup, we could use a little extra help."

"My first day out of jail, and I already have a job," he said, self-satisfied. He knew that one day his services would be called upon once again by his country. Today was his lucky day.

"You remember Dr. Marcoh, don't you?" Envy asked, putting the car into gear and merging into the flow of the street. Kimblee watched the updated buildings roll by, marveling at the growth that Central had achieved while he was locked away.

"The scientist who created the Philosopher's Stone?" he asked, resting his chin over his palm. "How could I ever forget him?"

"It appears he's escaped. Or we think he has," Envy corrected.

"You 'think'?" Kimblee questioned, eyeing the back of Envy's head carefully. Envy shrugged.

"We're still sorting out all of the details. One of the Chimeras we had watching over him has gone missing. Marcoh's specialty was transmuting living tissue. He might have used the Chimera in his place. And if that wasn't bad enough, we think he might have escaped with an Ishvalen warrior known as Scar," Envy said, and Kimblee narrowed his eyes at the Homunculus. In his time spent working with Marcoh, he knew it was entirely within the man's wheelhouse to pull off faking his death in such a manner. But hearing that an Ishvalen had managed to aide and abet him in his escape— well, that was just uncouth. Envy slowed the car to a stop at a traffic light. "Well, how about it? Considering you were the one responsible for the extermination and all."

"You do have a point," Kimblee concurred, leaning over the car window. "It's inexcusable if I've let a survivor crawl out of my path of destruction." A path that he had carefully and meticulously maintained. Or he had believed to have, until now.

"You're free to kill Scar if you want, but we do need Marcoh alive," Envy instructed. "There's something else we need you to track down."

"Oh?" Kimblee said, cutting his gaze to Envy.

"I'm sure you remember Carter Wayde?" Envy asked, and Kimblee stiffened. Now that was a name he hadn't heard in a while. He sat up and forward a bit.

"How could I forget an old war buddy?" he said through a slightly tightened jaw. "You have a lead on him?"

"Not quite," Envy said, his beady eyes glancing at Kimblee through the rearview mirror. "But we do have a lead on a connection to him. A little girl."

"A little girl?" Kimblee asked, folding his hands over his lap.

"His daughter, to be exact," Envy said. Kimblee's eyebrows rose in slight surprise.

"You don't say," he said, a slight grin creeping across his face. He never imagined a man so spinless would produce offspring.

"We think she may know where his journal is. We just need you to find it and retrieve it for us," Envy devised, and Kimblee perked up at the mention of his journal. His hand grazed over the parchment tucked safely in his pocket. He knew it would be providential to hang onto it all these years; not even the Homunculi knew of its existence. He knew better than to divulge all his secrets.

"And what of the girl?" he asked, instead.

"She's a sacrifice, so we need her alive too. We've got some leverage on her, so she should be more than willing to cooperate," Envy grinned devilishly.

"You released me just for this little errand?" Kimblee asked. Envy giggled manically.

"After you've nabbed Marcoh for us, there's a certain little town we'll be asking you to wipe off the map. That's your kind of job, right?" Envy asked, his satanic grin deepening.

"It's remarkable how cruel you are," Kimblee observed, a kinship between them. He tapped his chest a moment. "If only I had my stone."

"Lucky for you," Envy said, waving around a perfectly round red ruby. Kimblee could already feel the adrenaline course through his veins just gazing upon it. He took the orb of sweet destruction carefully between his fingers, and suddenly he was back in the desert, carving a river of blood into the malleable terrain. It was a sensation like no other, and he shivered a moment at the tender memory.

"A new stone? Did you use more Ishvalens to make it?" Kimblee asked.

"We actually used Dr. Marcoh's assistants who helped make the first stone for us," Envy explained.

"Your cruelty's infinite," he said, clutching the stone with eager excitement. With a Philosopher's Stone at his disposal, he was practically invincible. Kimblee pocketed the stone, tucking it into his suit pocket for safekeeping. He wasn't going to allow the precious item to be taken from him a second time.

***

Alright! How were the last two weeks? Well, for me, in a word, hectic. But! We made it to the finish line, and a new chapter is here to greet us. One that I honestly had a lot of trouble mapping out. It started as a bunch of different little scenes that each had something good about them but didn't quite match up, so it took a lot of moving and editing brainpower to produce what you see here. A fun little lead into what's to come, lots of foreshadowing and build-up happening as we get into the Briggs section of the story. The good thing is I have a pretty solid outline from here on out, with the ability to be flexible, so I have a nice framework to work off of. I am going to be messing with the timing of things quite a bit in the upcoming chapters, so don't be too alarmed if things don't precisely match the canon timeline because I need it to fit my timeline. Marina is having quite the sobering time in all of this, just trying to figure things out for herself and others. And Ed is starting to realize some things of his own, but vehemently denying them! Ah! I've been listening to the remastered Fifteen album Taylor Swift released so prepare yourselves for some extra teenage angst now that I'm re-living the 2010's. Anyway, I hope you had a good two weeks, and I'll see you next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 4.6K 69
(Y/N) is a thief, plain and simple. running around with one real limb, stealing what she can find and trying not to die. One day, two alchemists, Edw...
15.6K 375 12
You and the Elric Brothers were great friends when you were younger. But after they attempted human transmutation, they burned their house down and l...
47.6K 1.9K 19
You had known Edward and Alphonse throughout your childhood. But will the hardships of being a State Alchemist tear the two of you apart? The title o...
611 62 30
The former renowned Fullmetal Alchemist, Edward Elric, sees chances to plunge back into a life of action and alchemy once he arrives in the West and...