The Other One | Sirius Black

By queenoftinyviolins

"I'm sorry, I just... remembered something," she muttered as her fingers traced the scars on her throat. He p... More

Character List
Chapter 1 - Why?
Chapter 2 - Introductions
Chapter 3 - Fun
Chapter 4 - The Fox
Chapter 5 - Trance
Chapter 6 - The Potter House
Chapter 7 - She Knows
Chapter 8 - Worry
Chapter 9 - Ideals
Chapter 10 - A Diversion
Chapter 11 - Reflection
Chapter 12 - Tattoo
Chapter 13 - A spark
Chapter 14 - Acting normal
Chapter 15 - Mr. and Mrs. P
Chapter 16 - First time
Chapter 17 - Master Regulus
Chapter 18 - The Astronomy Tower
Chapter 19 - Sister
Chapter 20 - Test
Chapter 21 - Goodbye
Chapter 22 - Mother
Chapter 23 - This Much
Chapter 24 - Feelings
Chapter 25 - Friend
Chapter 26 - Followers
Chapter 27 - Constant Vigilance
Chapter 28 - The Only Two
Chapter 29 - Capable
Chapter 30 - Little Bean
Chapter 31 - DAD
Chapter 32 - Turning
Chapter 34 - Stubborn
Chapter 35 - Nervous
Chapter 36 - Not helping
Chapter 37 - Adults
Chapter 38 - Free Fall
Chapter 39 - Unfair
Chapter 40 - Firewood and leather
Chapter 41 - Mad
Chapter 42 - Coffee
Chapter 43 - Good thing
Chapter 44 - Content
Chapter 45 - Stupid
Chapter 46 - Assets
Chapter 47 - Soft
Chapter 48 - Under lock and key
Chapter 49 - Confused
Chapter 50 - Bewitched
Chapter 51 - A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love
Chapter 52 - Child
Chapter 53 - Half-smile
Chapter 54 - Pour Toujours
Chapter 55 - Happiness
Chapter 56 - Smooth Sailing
Chapter 57 - Crystal Clear
Chapter 58 - Breathe
Chapter 59 - Sirens
Chapter 60 - Creased
Chapter 61 - On edge
Chapter 62 - Bluff
Chapter 63 - Trust
Chapter 64 - Catharsis
Chapter 65 - Slip of the Tongue
Chapter 66 - Gone
Chapter 67 - Motorcycles and cars
Chapter 68 - Rubbish Elitism
Chapter 69 - Surprise Birthday SoirΓ©e
Chapter 70 - 31st October 1981
Epilogue I
Epilogue II

Chapter 33 - Harness

111 3 0
By queenoftinyviolins

The day after her parents' memorial service, Jo stayed in bed well past noon. She had not moved an inch from where she was positioned - facing the wall that was laden with Holyhead Harpies and Queen posters. But her eyes were not focused on the moving images, they were drifting off to someplace else.

She could feel the breeze of the residual winter air on her skin as she made her way across the courtyard to see Regulus. The bright smile plastered across her face contrasted with Reg's grim expression.

"What's up? Did Slughorn harass you into going to another meeting?" She poked his ribs jokingly.

"It's not Slughorn." he monotonically replied, backing away.

She faked exasperation, "Come on, then what is it, Black?"

"And you act like you don't know like you're so innocent now," he bitterly chuckled.

Truly confused, she spoke, "What the hell are you talking about? Please fill me in on your current mood swing."

He rebuked, "Well why don't you fill me in on what's been going on with you and my brother?"

She wanted to avoid talking about the subject with him, "I don't see how that should matter."

"I confided in you, Joanna, and you go off for an easy shag with the school's resident slut who just so happens to be my favorite brother," he snapped with sarcasm.

Mildly irritated, she hissed, "I did not go off for an easy shag with Sirius."

He countered, "Oh and you expect me to believe that with his reputation?"

"And what about my own word and judgment? Do you not trust those?" she asked, slightly hurt he wouldn't believe his actual friend.

"I'd say they're a bit blinded by some idiotic schoolgirl fantasy," he snarled with disgust.

Definitely annoyed at his reproachful behavior, she groaned, "I don't have to tell you my reasons for being with anyone, Regulus. Why are you so bloody wound up about it?"

"Because he's a traitor, and now so are you. I take back what I said, you're perfect for each other, don't even know why I agreed to meet up with you in the first place" he sniggered before already making his way out of the courtyard.

The air was no longer a pleasant companion, either. Jo suddenly got goosebumps on her skin as she felt the cold wind whipping at her hair and exposed limbs. She had given Sirius his sweater back for his History of Magic exam, but she regretted that currently.

Jo raced after Regulus and grabbed his arm, "I did not do anything to you - other than being your friend and tutor, might I add. Frankly, I don't see how my shagging preferences affect our friendship." Regulus chuckled at her remark.

"On the other hand, you. I've turned a blind eye on a lot of things, Regulus, like how your buddy Wilkes called Mary a mudblood the other day," she whispered the last part.

Regulus's face went white at the mention of his housemate.

"He's not my buddy," he dryly responded.

She reasoned, "You hang out with him often enough."

"You're acting as if I was the one who said it," he hinted.

She continued, "Just as good as if you didn't do anything to stop him."

"What if she deserved it?" he questioned.

Indignant, she stuttered, "A-Are.. are you really trying to justify this?"

"She was practically asking for it. Snogging all of us left and right," he explained.

The disappointment was written all across her face, "So you admit you were in on it, too?"

"I... You don't know anything," he mumbled.

"After this little tirade, I guess not. You can be my friend when you get over yourself and those horrid friends of yours," she scolded before walking away.

Even though Joanna wished to forget her last big fight with Regulus, his words still echoed in her mind,

"Because he's a traitor, and now so are you."

"Idiotic schoolgirl fantasy."

"You go off for an easy shag."

(Warning: Some implied assault in the following paragraph(s) for any sensitive lovelies out there)

Jo could make out some inaudible comments coming from outside her door but didn't care enough to get up and inspect further. Her bed was like a magnet tugging her weak body close. A vacant expression occupied her face as she drew shallow breaths. She balled up her fists, clenching to the bedsheets.

Her arms were restrained with an incarcerous spell, the ropes digging against her skin. She tried hard to resist but she could smell an iron stench get closer as her neck grew hot. Joanna was left breathless from all the screaming and then the crying. Her legs were weak as if they were made of lead.

"You're vocal, aren't you?" the werewolf growled, a smile spreading across his face.

A wave of courage washed over her when she decided to spit at his satisfied smirk.

"Like to get some attention, hmm?" he whispered into her ear making all the hairs on her neck stand up.

Before she could say anything, he scratched her chest and then turned her around.

Jo wanted to scream as loud as she could but no noise came out of the room. She closed her eyes hoping it was all a figment of her imagination, that nothing bad had ever happened, that it was just a bad dream.

Upon opening her eyes, she saw her mother's warm fingers placing the hair hiding her face behind her ear.

Her mother quietly inquired, "Mind telling me what that was about, dear?"

A small voice arose, "It was nothing, mum."

"Nothing is what you said when you broke your arm last year or when your brother bugs you. This isn't it," Euphemia noted while shaking her head.

Jo answered, "I... I'm just disappointed is all."

"Over what?" her mother sweetly asked while stroking her wavy hair.

"Well, Reg and I had a bit of a falling out before school ended..." she recalled.

Euphemia elicited further elaboration, "And?"

"And I've written to him... to talk, but he hasn't replied all summer," Jo explained.

Her mother concluded, "If he needs space you should give it to him. He is in a complicated situation right now."

"I know. Which is why I want to talk. To sort everything out. He sent me back my letters today," Jo acknowledged.

"I see..." was what Euphemia could muster, letting her daughter vent everything out.

Jo grumbled, "All he wrote was "bugger off", I mean how am I supposed to take that?"

"You want to know what I think?" her mother asked and she nodded her head in response.

"Jo, you must remember he is not Sirius. He gets along with his family so I'm assuming it's a difficult choice to make," Euphemia pointed out.

Jo took on a fearful tone, "But what if he chooses the wrong one? What if he decides to join... Voldemort?"

"That's his choice to make and only time will tell the extent of his intentions through his actions. For now, I suggest you take his advice and put him on the back burner until he lets you in again," her mother directed.

The naïve side of Jo questioned, "You think he can change?"

"Change?" Euphemia asked.

She knew her request was impossible, but she resumed, "I just... I wish he could go back to being himself. Like normal. Where he doesn't have to make any choices and where we don't have a huge row about something stupid."

"Under pressure, people tend to show the parts of themselves they want to keep hidden and buried. There is no normal, Joanna. But the way in which you control those deep emotions and thoughts, whether they be good or bad, that's how you know who a person is. You can only hope he learns to harness them well," Euphemia tenderly rubbed her thumb on her daughter's cheek for comfort.

Relishing her mother's touch, Jo closed her eyes. The reality of her situation started to sink in when she opened them to see she was back in her room with no mum in sight.

Sirius sighed through the crack in the door, "She's been like this all day. She doesn't eat anything I give her. I... I don't know what to do."

"Take it easy, mate. She's grieving, it's normal," Remus voiced.

Sirius let out a deep breath, "But it's not good for her. She's barely getting by as it is."

"Give her time to process it," Remus reasoned.

"I hate this," Padfoot uttered under his breath.

"I know," Remus placated, squeezing his friend's shoulder reassuringly.

Sirius proceeded to pace around the living room, "You know, maybe we should call Katherine."

"If you think that'll help..." Remus simply agreed.

"Yeah, I think it's a good idea," he babbled to himself as he went to call his other friend.

A/N: So that's happened. Poor Jo with all that trauma... She'll get back up, though. Xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441K 10.7K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
8.8K 210 53
(CHAPTERS WITH ONLY A '~' AT THE START WITH NO NUMBER ARE BEING REWRITTEN.) Elladora Walburga Black was the twin sister of Sirius Black, elder sister...
18.1K 680 57
[EDITED VERSION ON AO3] (heavily unedited and unformatted, please read on ao3) {Book 1 of the Constellation Series} Carina Elayne Toussaint, the gir...