At the Finish Line [Haiji Kiy...

Von FreyaSunbeam

With Haiji Kiyose in his final year of University, it's his last chance to run in the Hakone Ekiden. Luckily... Mehr

---
one - "new girl"
two - "run in the rain"
three - "old friends"
four - "girls are complicated"
five - "university life"
six - "seems intense"
seven - "sympathy shot"
eight - "a waste"
nine - "two weeks?"
ten - "try my best"
eleven - "my darling"
twelve - "frustrated and hurt"
thirteen - "bad dream"
fourteen - "persistent"
fifteen - "to be in love"
sixteen - "we need to talk"
seventeen - "last lap"
eighteen - "haven't changed"
nineteen - "training camp"
twenty - "cheat"
twenty-one - "right behind you"
twenty-two - "the stars"
twenty-three - "just a theory"
twenty-four - "fine"
twenty-five - "are you worried?"
twenty-six - "sister?"
twenty-seven - "drunk"
twenty-eight - "last stretch"
twenty-nine - "distracted"
thirty - "to the top"
thirty-one - "devotion"
thirty-two - "move on"
thirty-three - "celebrating"
thirty-four - "understand"
thirty-five - "asking for luck"
thirty-six - "birthday"
thirty-eight - day 2
thirty-nine - final leg
fourty - At the Finish Line

thirty-seven - day 1

120 5 5
Von FreyaSunbeam

"Don't move too much, or you'll be tired before you even start."

Folding down the hood of his coat, Prince looks at Haiji as he walks over to him.

"I'm only moving because I got too cold reading," Prince mutters.

Haiji laughs. "I'm surprised you stopped reading to do so."

The starting venue is fairly quiet with only the runners and coaches present while a few officials and drivers stand around waiting.

"What time is it?" Prince asks, Haiji looking down at his watch.

"7:25. 35 minutes until the start."

Prince nods slowly. "How's Chiyo?"

Haiji shrugs. "Tired. She's coming with Tazaki-sensei in a minute."

Sitting back down, book in hand, Prince leans against the wall, flicking to the next page. Haiji smiles to himself, deciding to leave him to it --for all he knows, this could be Prince's way of taking his mind off the race ahead.

A few minutes later, Tazaki-sensei --wearing a Kansei tracksuit jacket-- walks over, hands behind his back.

"Haiji-san,"

"Ah, Tazaki-sensei, is Chiyo with you?"

He raises his thick grey eyebrows. "She's getting authorised now, she won't be long."

As if on cue, a tired, lethargic and disorientated Chiyo walks up to the group, eyes blood-shot. "They said I'm alright to sit in with Tazaki-sensei." She mumbles, voice croaky.

Haiji brushes the hair from her face. "You'll be called in a minute anyway so you should try and get some sleep before the race."

"I don't want to miss Prince's start." She rubs her eyes.

Prince looks up from his manga. "You can sleep, I won't hold it against you."

Expecting a witty remark in return, they look at Chiyo as her eyes close and she sways, suddenly jerking awake. "Huh?"

Tazaki-sensei nods to Haiji. "They'll call us to the van in a minute but I'll ask them to make an exception so we can sit in early. I'll make an excuse about my knees or something."

"Thank you, Sensei," Haiji smiles, kissing Chiyo's forehead as she opens her eyes wide and staggers. "I'll be calling Tazaki regularly anyway but get some rest and cheer us on."

Nodding, she sends him a weak smile, walking off with Tazaki, who pats her back, and they follow the sign to the coaches area.

"She's even more tired than a normal day with her insomnia," Prince mutters, glancing up from the page.

"She'll be fine," Haiji tells him. "Do you want to stretch out?"

Placing his book to the side, Prince nods, sitting with his legs out long as Haiji sits behind him and pushes his back.

"Do you remember everything we spoke about the other day?" Haiji asks.

Prince nods. "Conserve stamina, watch out for any speed changes and keep at my own pace."

Haiji laughs under his breath. "I didn't doubt you."

Prince moves his position to laying on his back with one knee up as Haiji pushes his foot up.

"Most importantly, don't panic," Haiji tells him. "I know what you're like, but I thought I'd remind you anyway."

Changing legs, Haiji holds his knee in one hand and his foot in the other, stretching his leg. Once he finishes the stretch, Prince thanks him and sits back up.

"Prince," Haiji sits down, lips pursed. "I'm sorry I forced you into this."

Prince looks at him, Haiji's expression that of sincere honesty and guilt.

"You know, it seemed like that to begin with. But now," He looks around at the other runners. "Not so much. Yes, you guilted me into it, but your intentions were good. Now I'm just lucky enough to pass the sash onto the next runner."

Surprised by his words, Haiji smiles. "Thank you, Prince. Really, thank you."

"You can't thank me until we finish the race. Which, speaking of--"

An official holding a clipboard walks into the centre of the room, calling out the order of runners, including Kansei. "Please begin to prepare yourselves to make your way over to the starting line. 25 minutes remaining."

Haiji looks at Prince, his eyes bright. "Ready?"

Prince sends him a curt nod.

-

As the race has begun, Chiyo sits in the back of the van with an official, struggling to keep her eyes open. She keeps nodding off, in and out of sleep only to wake herself up either by her head falling back or not wanting to miss the race.

"Chiyo, you shouldn't worry about staying awake," Tazaki says from the passenger seat.

She rubs her eyes. "Why's that?"

"As Prince says, he's not expected to be the stand out runner, he's simply passing the sash on to continue the race."

Chiyo nods, covering her mouth as she yawns and looking down at her lap to see her phone ringing.

"Hello?" She croaks.

She hears a laugh on the other end of the phone.

"And I thought I was tired," Yuki says. "Have you slept at all yet? I'm guessing you managed to sit in the van?"

"Yeah, I'm with Tazaki-sensei..." She shifts in her seat. "I slept a little but it's difficult for me to sleep even when I feel exhausted."

Yuki sighs. "I know. It'll be fine though. Can you see Prince?"

"Since the start is quite slow and there's no real gap between runners, we're basically in a queue of vans," Chiyo explains, rubbing under her eye. "There might be a change soon though. How's everything?"

"I'm grabbing some vitamin orange juice drinks from a vending machine," Yuki tells her. "Our train will be here in a minute so I thought I'd call. He's checking up on Musa now."

Chiyo huffs. "He shouldn't worry about anyone else at this point."

"That's what I told him," Yuki exhales. "Anyway, I'll leave you to it. Speak later."

The two hang up and Chiyo places her phone in her lap, turning to the official sat next to her.

"Sorry, can I ask how many km's we're at now?"

"17km. The average is 3 minutes and 7 seconds per km." He tells her.

She thanks him, her tired brain not even being able to calculate the rough average of the top runners and compare it to Prince's performance.

From the passenger seat, Tazaki's phone starts ringing and he answers.

"Hello? Yes, he's doing fine. Nothing much is happening, despite being at almost 20km, but he's running well. Yes, she's alright, she's in and out of sleep, aren't you, Chiyo?"

She looks up from her lap. "Is that Haiji? Where is he now?"

"He's at the next checkpoint, ready for Prince to arrive," Tazaki tells her, returning his attention to the phone call. "Yes... Yes, I can let him know."

He hangs up the phone, sitting back comfortably in his chair.

-

This is hard --Prince thinks to himself.

Of all the things he thought he'd do in his life, running in the Hakone Ekiden was never something he thought he'd do.

Of course, Prince has read about many athletes in his manga books --their struggles, hurdles and triumphs.

However, actually doing the sport had never occurred to him.

Yes, Haiji had basically threatened to kick him out of Chikusei-sou at the beginning, but he'd grown to appreciate the sport.

Nonetheless, as Prince nears the 20km, he feels his legs turn to lead and his head begin to pound.

~

"Knock, knock."

Facing the ceiling lying on his mattress, Prince looks away from his manga at Chiyo stood in the doorway.

"Can I come in?" She asks. "I was wondering if I could borrow a manga? Hyouka, if you have it?"

Prince sits up, nodding to the stack next to the door. "It's there. I know where it is but I don't know if it's wise to take it from the stack."

She huffs a laugh. "Sorry, you probably don't like lending them out to people. It's okay, you don't have to--"

"I didn't say you couldn't borrow it," Prince mutters. "I thought you'd bought 'Case Closed' to read."

"I've just finished it so I thought I'd come to see the manga expert himself and also have a peek at your stacks." She looks around the room. "This is impressive. You really did fit a treadmill in here."

Standing up from the mattress, Prince carefully pulls out the book, written 'Hyouka', holding it out for her to take. "Here you go."

"Thank you, Prince," She accepts it, watching as he rolls back onto the mattress, book in the air. "It makes you think, doesn't it?"

He doesn't look away from his manga. "What?"

Chiyo leans against the doorframe. "I know you said yesterday that Haiji forced you to start running. But doesn't a part of you feel inspired?"

"No."

"Really?" She huffs a laugh. "I just figured since you must have read a lot of sports manga and everything. It's like you're in your own story."

He lowers the book to look at her, his usual deadpan expression. "Sure I've read a lot, but it doesn't give me the motivation to run."

"Even after reading Haikyuu?" She asks. "Every time I read it I feel inspired. Hinata's story is amazing, how he overcomes his rivalry with Kageyama to work as a team. By the end, Hinata is an amazing player, despite starting with no skills whatsoever."

"Your point?" Prince questions, sitting up.

Chiyo shrugs. "It makes me want to play volleyball. Not that I'd be any good, but it makes me want to. But you're like Rei in Free!, don't you think? You're starting a complete beginner as he did with swimming, and you're overcoming obstacles as he did."

Prince scratches the side of his head. "I read those and appreciated the character growth, but I don't think I can compare myself."

"Maybe you don't have to compare yourself. Maybe you can just admire them and their journeys." She suggests. "If I was in your situation, I'd read to get motivated, not just so you can go back to it after you run."

"I prefer to think about the people who supported them," Prince says. "When I think of Hinata's growth, I think of Sugawara, who taught him to receive. Or with Rei, I think of Makoto and Nagisa who helped coach him. I think the others who work behind the scenes matter just as much."

Chiyo laughs. "That's true. Without them, they wouldn't have improved or succeeded."

"You know more than I thought." Prince huffs a laugh. "I'm impressed."

She grins. "I'm impressed that Haiji convinced you to run in the first place."

He shakes his head. "Don't underestimate Haiji Kiyose."

~

"Prince," Tazaki calls out through the speaker. "This is a message from Haiji. 'There's something I forgot to tell you, so make it to Tsurumi even if you have to crawl. In the meantime, don't lose sight of the people who helped support the protagonists.' You're almost at the checkpoint, good luck."

As he continues to run, sweating dripping down his forehead, he thinks of all the sports protagonists from the manga he's read and the anime's he's watched. A quote from Keiji Akaashi comes to his mind; "we are the protagonists of the world".

No matter how fast Prince runs, he knows he'll never be the best runner or break any records. But somehow, he knows that he himself isn't the protagonist of this story --he's just the piece of the puzzle that helps make up the final result.

And that's okay. He doesn't need to be any more than that.

"I am strong," Prince mutters to himself. "I am strong."

From the next checkpoint, Musa stands in the middle of the road, waving an arm as he calls out to Prince.

On the sidelines, Haiji and Kakeru yell out. "Go, Prince! Come on!"

Forehead creased and muscles aching, Prince looks up, smiling weakly at Musa and pulling the sash off from around himself.

I hate running --he thinks to himself. But I'm glad I was forced into this. Because I would've regretted not running even more.

The moment Prince hands the sash over, Musa smiles at him, pats his back and continues with the race.

Prince's legs give way and he falls to the floor, quickly held by both Haiji and Kakeru as they throw a blanket over him.

"Can I say it now?" Haiji asks and Prince nods weakly. "Thank you, Prince. Really, thank you."

Prince looks up at him, panting heavily as his legs shake.

From the Kansei van, Chiyo leans across the official and calls out the side window.

"Well done Prince! You're an inspiration!"

They wave back at her before she leans back in her seat as the window closes and the van drives on ahead.

-

"Can you see him, Sensei?" Chiyo asks, hands on the tops of the seats as she pears through the windscreen.

"He's going too fast," Tazaki mumbles, picking up his ringing phone. "Haiji-san... Yes, I told him, I know I did! At the 5km, I told him but I can't be sure he heard. Okay... Got it."

The two hang up and Chiyo squints her eyes as she looks out the side window. "What did Haiji say?"

"I'll tell him again at 10km. He's in 17th but he's near the cluster of seven up ahead." Tazaki tells her.

"So, we're just in a queue of vans because they're not far enough apart? Maybe they'll spread out soon." Chiyo mutters, tucking hair behind her ear.

Tazaki glances over his shoulder. "You've perked up I see."

She shrugs. "Even if I could sleep, I don't want to miss the race. Especially since Musa's supported me when I needed it."

~

"Okay... Hmmm,"

Musa chuckles. "Chiyo, you don't have to hum."

"Oh, sorry." She closes her eyes, hands resting on her knees, sitting cross-legged.

"Okay, roll your shoulders back and sit up straight." He tells her and she does as he says. "Now take nice deep breaths, in and out, in and out. Focus on this."

Her chest rises as she breathes in and falls as she breathes out, her eyebrows relaxing.

"Good. Now, imagine yourself in your head. Focus on your toes, then your feet, and then your legs. Think about how lucky we are to be able to walk around freely thanks to our body." Musa continues as she breathes deeply. "Now your waist and torso and stomach --you're able to digest amazing food. Now your arms and shoulders, wrists and hands. You can pick up and hold things with your fingers. And lastly, your head --you're able to make expressions, hear, see and taste things. We are all very lucky with our bodies, it helps us in everyday life. Okay, you can open your eyes now."

She bats her eyes open, stretching her arms out. "Wow, how often do you meditate?"

"Most evenings," Musa tells her, a wide smile on his face. "It helps me sleep and I often reflect on the day. It's a good practice, I'd recommend it."

She nods. "It would certainly calm me down when I'm stressed."

"Exactly," He agrees. "If you're stressed or worried, just take a few calming breaths and centre yourself."

She grins. "Thank you, Musa. I'll take your advice."

~

"Musa!"

Turning the corner, Musa notices Jota waving at him, eagerly awaiting the sash. Musa smiles, breathing heavily as he removes the sash, gaining more speed.

He hands it over, Jota grinning at him. "Thanks, Ace!"

Jota throws the sash over and starts his leg of the race when King rushes over with a blanket.

"Musa! You came 14th! You passed seven guys!"

Desperately leaning over to the window, Chiyo cheers. "Go, Musa!"

The two hear her and wave back, leaving the road to the tents.

Grinning, Chiyo closes the window, her smile quickly fading as she looks at the official she lent across. "Sorry about that, it's an exciting day."

He laughs awkwardly, adjusting his cap and sitting up straight. "It's fine."

She glances to the side, her eyes widening as she looks out the windscreen. "Wow, it's even more beautiful today."

The driver looks up at the rear-view mirror. "The sea? It's a nice view. However, it's only 5.7 degrees today and there's a harsh wind."

"It's bound to happen on this section of the race." Tazaki comments.

"Jota will be fine," Chiyo says.

~

"Hey, what's it like?"

Turning around, arms full of crisp packets, Jota's eyes widen. "Chiyo! I didn't see you there--"

She waves a hand, leaning against the kitchen counter. "You're always snacking, it's not a surprise. Especially since you're running in the sun for the camp. I'm not judging."

Jota shrugs, walking through to the empty dining area, placing the snacks down. "What did you say?"

"I was going to ask what it's like to be a twin?" She asks, following him. "You and Joji are always together."

"Why do you ask?"

Chiyo laughs. "Well, my sister is nine years older than me and we didn't grow up together. I just wondered."

"Oh, yeah, it's fine, I guess..." Jota opens up a crisp packet. "I mean, it's good because there's always someone there for you."

She raises an eyebrow. "But?"

"But... People tend to think we're the same person. Yes, we're identical and we look the same, but we like different things. We have different birthmarks, he tans in the sun more than I do, I'm better at maths than him. We're different people."

She crosses her arms. "I can understand that. Still, you'll always have a best friend."

Plucking a crisp from the bag, he nods. "He's my best friend forever!"

~

That will always be the case --he thinks to himself as he runs along the coastline.

Yet, Jota wonders if they'll always be on the same path. This race, this is the last time Jota will run and he decided that in the beginning.

But Joji --Joji has had more passion for running than Jota ever did. As his twin, he saw that from the very start.

The two may not be by each other's side in the future, depending on their jobs, or where they live, or who they date, but they'll always be brothers and they'll always be twins.

Joji can make it to the next level and the level after that, but me? I don't have the love for running that he does.

-

Glancing out the window, Chiyo talks back into her phone. "He's running well, I think. Tazaki-sensei told him what you said, but he's not needed much encouragement."

"That's good," Haiji says. "Are you alright?"

"Haiji, don't worry about me," Chiyo shakes her head. "I'm fine, but thank you. I'm just nervous about the last leg of the race."

Haiji sighs. "Me too. But he won't let us down."

"That's true."

"Oh! Kakeru said that he passed two other schools and he's on the last stretch."

Chiyo leans forward to look out the windscreen. "We can see him now he's out ahead. Not far now-- wait, what?"

"What is it?" Haiji asks.

"I think..." She raises an eyebrow, her gaze moving to the side window. "Was that-- was that Hana-chan?"

Kakeru calls out in the background. "What is Jota doing? He keeps looking behind."

"Uh... I think he's looking at Hana." Chiyo purses her lips.

Haiji looks down at Kakeru's phone to watch the race. "He's passed a few more runners. But he's still looking behind."

Her eyebrows raise and she squeezes her eyes shut. "I think I know what he's thinking... But maybe you should ask Musa..."

"What is it?"

"He must think that because Hana's cheering him on, she... has a crush on him?"

"What?!"

-

"What?!"

Joji's eyes widen as he grabs the sash from his brother's hand. He starts running, glancing behind.

"I mean-- wait-- what?!"

After almost tripping over his own feet, he pulls the sash on, running forward to start his section of the race.

Hana-chan... likes Jota? But, the three of us are always together...

Or have I been blind to their feelings for each other?

~

As Haiji stirs the stew, he hears the sound of footsteps and a throat being cleared. He turns around to see Jota by the doorway to the kitchen.

"Uh, Haiji-san? Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

Jota scratches the back of his neck. "So, if you like someone..."

"Like, a crush?"

Jota frantically waves his hands. "No, no, not like that. It's, uh, more complicated than that... See, I like seeing this person and every time I do, I get this nervous feeling in my stomach and I can't think straight..."

Haiji crosses his arms. "Is it a girl?"

"Well, yeah--"

"You've got a crush, Jota," Haiji says bluntly. "It's okay if you do, isn't it?"

Jota grimaces. "Well, there might be someone else that likes her too and I don't want to upset anyone."

Haiji nods. "It's good that you're considering their feelings. At the end of the day, if you like someone, you should tell them. I like Chiyo and I told her and we found out we both felt the same way."

"That's lucky..." Jota sighs. "It's difficult... having a crush I mean."

Haiji shrugs. "You'll only know if you tell them."

"Now probably isn't the best time."

From the corridor by the kitchen, Joji listens in to the conversation, eyebrows furrowed.

"Who's he talking about?" He mutters to himself. "Do I know them?"

~

Chiyo grimaces. "It's just a hunch..."

"But why would he say that?!" Yuki questions through the phone. "Just as they're handing over the sash!"

Musa sighs into the phone speaker. "I told Chiyo what I was thinking, about Hana liking one of the twins."

"Chiyo, did Hana actually say it?" Haiji asks her.

She shakes her head. "All I saw was Hana calling out to him as he ran past and him looking behind. I'm sure Jota thought the rest up for himself."

Nico huffs, turning around to see Jota staring off with flushed cheeks. "I'm pretty sure he thinks he heard her say those exact words."

"He's an idiot for taunting his brother like that." Yuki chimes in.

"What do you think, Haiji?" Chiyo asks.

Haiji sighs. "I can't believe we're even talking about this."

"It's a change of pace from talking about you two together," Nico comments.

"Yeah, but perhaps not while they're in the middle of the race though?" Chiyo raises an eyebrow.

"Chiyo," Haiji says. "Hand me over to Sensei."

-

Surely not --Joji thinks to himself. If Jota likes her that much, wouldn't he tell his twin?

But, I overheard that conversation, so maybe there's a reason he spoke to Haiji instead of me. I'll have to ask him when the race is ov--

"Joji!"

His head jerks up and his eyes widen.

"Joji! Listen to me! If you can hear me, make a sign!"

Joji tentatively lifts a thumb above his head and Tazaki continues.

"Oh well, here goes," Tazaki huffs. "This is a message from Kakeru, 'If you like her, then prove it through your running'."

Chiyo stifles a laugh. "Nicely done, Coach."

The driver glances at Tazaki, who purses his lips.

"I was told to say that, trust me."

Even the official sat in the back looks as if he's holding back a laugh.

"He's almost at the next section of the race," Chiyo comments, about to lean over to the window when the official quickly leans back in his seat and she laughs. "Thank you."

The cheers from the crowd get louder as they reach the pass off point. Chiyo lowers the window, grinning as she looks out at the runners.

"Joji! Well done--" She gasps, hands over her mouth. "Oh my god."

Even from the car, Chiyo can see Joji's reaction is the same as his.

Stood at the checkpoint with gloves on, Shindo sways in his spot and his cheeks burn pink.

"He doesn't look good." The official comments.

Chiyo shakes her head.

-

Sighing to himself, Yuki kneels beside Joji, who bashes his fists on the floor.

"Why didn't I go faster?!"

Hana bites her lip. "Joji?"

"He was burning up!" He cries out. "I knew he wasn't feeling well, so why didn't I run faster?!"

Yuki places a hand on his back. "Joji, what's done is done. You couldn't have done more. Just forget about it now and watch the race."

-

Clutching the phone to her ear, Chiyo leans forward, looking out the windscreen. "He's still going."

"That's all I can expect right now. He's too strong to give up easily." Haiji says, standing at the finish line with Kakeru, looking up at the large screen.

"This is too painful," She shakes her head. "I'll call you later."

They hang up and Chiyo sighs.

"What now, Sensei?"

As the hill starts to incline, Shindo continues running despite his condition. His limbs ache, his head throbs and his body sweats while his skin chills.

Picking up the speaker handset, Tazaki begins speaking. "Shindo, someone once said, 'the task ahead is never greater than the strength within you'. You are very strong, not only as a runner but in your everyday life. Whether you succeed or fail, you lift your head high and carry on. However, this is different. Everyone wants what's best for you and if you can't succeed today, no one will hold it against you. This task ahead is a difficult one and I believe you can do it --but today may not be that day. Understand that you've come this far and everyone is proud of you."

Chiyo's lip trembles and her eyes well up.

"Shindo, if you can't continue, all you need to do is raise your hand."

As if in a daze, Shindo continues running at a slow pace, his body swaying as he goes and as the hill becomes steeper.

"I can't watch this anymore," Chiyo mutters.

"The runner from Boso has passed the finish line." The official says.

Tazaki turns in his seat to look at her. "Chiyo, we need your help."

~

"My brand new stor-ry!" Chiyo sings under her breath, looking down at her phone and drying her hair with a towel.

As she walks down the corridor from the bathroom, she hears a thud coming from upstairs and she furrows her eyebrows.

"What's-- Oh, Chiyo," Yuki walks out of his room. "Did you hear that too?"

They both decide to walk up the stairs to discover the cause of the thud. Once they reach the top of the landing, they stop and look at each other with wide eyes.

"Shindo!" Yuki rushes over to him as he's collapsed on the floor. "Are you alright?"

Chiyo follows suit. "Are you not feeling well?"

His mouth covered with a face mask and wearing a robe over a tracksuit, Shindo's cheeks are flushed, his forehead sweating and his eyes drooping.

She places the back of her hand on his forehead. "You're burning up."

"Let's take you to your room," Yuki says and they both help him to lay down on his mattress.

Shindo coughs, shivering slightly as he lays down.

"Stay here, I'll grab some water and an ice pack." Yuki hurries off to the kitchen while Chiyo stays with Shindo.

Pushing open the top window and sliding the curtain across, she grabs an extra pillow and gently lifts his head to place it under.

Yuki comes back, kneeling to the floor. "I'm going to sit you up, okay?"

Shindo nods as Yuki and Chiyo sit him up together, Yuki offering the water bottle. Shindo takes a few measly sips, coughs and sways in his seat.

"This isn't good," Chiyo mumbles as they lay him back down and he shivers.

Yuki nods. "Let's not think about tomorrow, we just need you to feel better and get some rest. I'll stay here and keep an eye on you."

Chiyo shakes her head. "Yuki, you should get some sleep too. You might not be running tomorrow but you will be the day after."

"But--"

"Trust me," She tells him. "I can stay outside his door, get him anything he needs."

Yuki sighs. "Are you sure?"

She nods. "If I'm tired tomorrow then it's not the end of the world. I've spent half my teenage years not sleeping anyway."

Huffing a laugh, Yuki glances at Shindo. "Okay, I'll leave you to it. But wake me up if there's anything you need."

"Of course," She smiles weakly and watches as he walks out of the room. She looks down at a tired, feverish Shindo. "I'm sorry you have to feel like this. Try and sleep, stay hydrated and I'll be outside the room all night."

Placing an ice pack on his forehead, she gently strokes his hair to make him feel at ease and stands up, leaving him to sleep.

~

The vehicle stops, Chiyo sliding the car door open and rushing around the car to get beside him. She zips her coat up and looks at Shindo --she's able to keep up with him as he's barely at a jogging pace.

"Shindo, if you can't go on, you can stop," She tells him, eyes welling up.

He shakes his head, swaying as he runs.

"You can't go on?" She asks and he shakes his head again. "Shindo, we all care about you and we don't want to see you hurt. Haiji would understand."

Suddenly stopping, Shindo places his hands on his knees, taking shallow breaths as sweat drips down his face.

Chiyo's eyes widen and she desperately wants to reach out and hug him --make it all better. "Shindo? Shindo, are you tapping out?"

After receiving no response, she looks back at Tazaki-sensei in the van, shaking her head as her lip trembles. Opening the car door and stepping out, he walks over to the pair, eyes fixed on Shindo.

"No one will blame you for stopping, Shindo. You've done well." He says. "Do you want to stop?"

They watch as his sweat drips onto the tarmac, legs shaking as he tries to stand still.

Tazaki and Chiyo share a look, both not knowing what the best thing to do is.

Slowly reaching a hand out, Tazaki leans down in an attempt to look at his face and just as he almost touches his shoulder, Shindo staggers forward, resuming his slow pace up the hill.

"They're-- they're all waiting..." Shindo mumbles feebly. "I can't-- I can't stop--"

Chiyo's forehead creases and she has to hold back her tears as Tazaki looks past his eyebrows in shock.

Motioning for Chiyo to follow, Tazaki opens the door to the van and climbs inside. She looks at him again, holding back tears as she too climbs back into the van.

-

At the finish line, both Haiji and Kakeru stand looking up at the screen, surrounded by a crowd but feeling isolated at the same time.

Here they are watching as Shindo staggers up the hill, desperately trying to finish the race, and they're powerless. They can't do anything but pray he's alright.

Kakeru's eyes widen and he looks down at the road ahead, spotting Shindo come round the corner, swaying as he runs at his slow pace.

The two rush over, past crowds of people, and to the finish line, awaiting his finish. The crowds cheer him on and he stumbles, passing the ribbon of the finish line and his knees give way.

They hurry over to him and grab him before he falls, wrapping his body in a blanket as his breathing is shallow.

"Shindo, are you okay?" Haiji asks.

Kakeru peers down at his face. "You finished, Shindo, well done."

From the van further away, Chiyo desperately throws open the door and runs over to the three, tears running down her face.

"Shindo!"

Haiji and Kakeru look up at her as she rushes over and drops to her knees to comfort him.

"Shindo," She wipes away her tears, hugging him tightly. "You're okay now, you did so well."

As he breathes heavily, sweating profusely, the three look at each other, relieved looks on their faces.

-

Placing the phones on the mattress, Yuki sits back on his knees. "Go ahead."

Leaning forward, Shindo shows his face to the cameras and all five of the guys on the other end of the phone erupt into either cheers or sobs over each other.

"Shindo!" Musa cries, tears down his face.

"Shindo!" Jota shoves his face into the camera.

Prince smiles. "Well done, Shindo."

Nico plants his face next to Jota's. "We're so proud of you!"

Smiling in response, Shindo turns to see Haiji leaning across to the cameras. "Everyone, listen up."

They all turn suddenly more serious, turning their attention to Haiji.

"Tomorrow is the second day of Hakone and then it's all over. Give it your best, get plenty of sleep tonight and stay hydrated. We'll all be fine."

The door to the room opens and Chiyo walks in holding a tray of teacups and a pot. "I got the mint tea-- oh, is that everyone on the phone?"

"Is that Chiyo?" King asks.

Haiji nods, the guys kicking up a fuss. She laughs, placing the tray down and leaning against Haiji as she waves at the cameras.

"Hey, guys!"

"We heard you cheering from the van," Musa grins.

"I think the official was getting annoyed I kept leaning across him." Chiyo shrugs.

Nico chuckles. "You'd better keep cheering us on tomorrow, I want to hear you loud and clear."

She shakes her head jokingly. "You shouldn't expect any less. I think we're all just glad that Shindo's okay."

They nod in agreement, Shindo smiling beneath his face mask. "Can we do the mountains of Hakone chant?"

Haiji smiles, nodding as he lifts his fist. "The mountains of Hakone are?"

The guys all raise their hands. "Steepest in the world!"

-

Hugging her coat tighter around herself, Chiyo's teeth chatter as the bitter wind rolls past. The doors to the Inn open and she looks around to see Haiji zipping his jacket up, bag on his back.

"Have you got everything?" She asks him and he nods, walking over to her.

"Kakeru and Joji will be out in a minute."

She sighs. "How was that for what you expected on day one?"

He huffs a laugh. "It was unexpected, that's for sure. I'm excited for tomorrow though."

She smiles, hugging into his body. "You should be. This wind is so cold it could snow tomorrow."

Haiji wraps an arm around her. "That's true. But I trust Yuki and he's a good runner so he'll be fine."

"That's true," She looks up at him, kissing his lips. "You'll be fine too. I can't wait to cheer you on."

"Me neither," He smiles. "Come tomorrow afternoon, it's all over."

-

-

-

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

209K 8.1K 99
ᴀ ᴛᴀʟʟ ᴡᴀʟʟ ʟᴏᴏᴍs ɪɴғʀᴏɴᴛ ᴏғ ᴍᴇ ʙʟᴏᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴍʏ ᴠɪᴇᴡ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ sɪᴅᴇ. ᴛʜᴇ ᴠɪᴇᴡ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴏᴘ, ɪs sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ᴜᴘ ᴏɴ sᴇᴇɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ. "𝐃...
8.6K 498 17
"'𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙠𝙞𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙞 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙪𝙣 𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙚'. 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙘𝙤𝙤𝙡, 𝙝𝙪𝙝?" ⤅in which two teenagers...
16.6K 1.2K 24
nanase riku and kujou tenn.. an angel and a devil. two people with different fate. like the sun and moon, they aren't suppose to be together but.. th...
25.4K 1.1K 33
↪ when haiji's sister starts falling for a flat-faced boy ❝ i'm here with you, for you. and I wont let you go, because I just want to be by your side...